PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Vegetarian recipes?

BossChief
09-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Got any good ones?

Shogun
09-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Carrots

vailpass
09-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Corn fed beef.

Bane
09-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Corn fed beef.

ROFL

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
corn.

BossChief
09-22-2010, 06:11 PM
The one guy I still rent a room to has been seeing this girl for a couple months now and she is a vegetarian and when I want to cook, I feel bad for not making stuff that she can eat. Pretty much everything I eat/cook has meat in it and I don't even know where to start.

Throw me a bone here planet, or in this instance a carrot or celery stalk...

keg in kc
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Salad (Ginormous)
1/2 pound grapes
1/2 pound baby carrots
1/4 pound strawberries/blueberries

That's today's "vegetarian" delight for me.

I'm still hungry.

Damnit.

Shogun
09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
The one guy I still rent a room to has been seeing this girl for a couple months now and she is a vegetarian and when I want to cook, I feel bad for not making stuff that she can eat. Pretty much everything I eat/cook has meat in it and I don't even know where to start.

Well. I have an awesome recipe for cheesy potatos. For the main course though Im clueless. If you want the recipe I will post it.

DeezNutz
09-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Post this pussy shit on the Coalition. We eat meat here, son.

Fritz88
09-22-2010, 06:15 PM

you are seeing a guy? cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
09-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Tortillas
Shredded Cheese
Diced Green Chiles
Microwave

FAX
I think Jamaal Charles should get more carries.

FAX

NewChief
Yes. I have a ton (wife is a vegetarian). What sort of stuff are you looking for? If you're seriously getting into it, you need to buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Everything-Vegetarian-Meatless/dp/0764524836

pr_capone
http://post.thestranger.com/images/blogimages/2008/12/30/1230665836_tofurkey.jpg

underEJ
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Curried-Cauliflower-and-Chickpea-Stew-352533

This is delicious and good over some brown rice or just eaten as a stew by itself. Super easy. Epicurious has lots of vegetarian recipes, too, if you browse around.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Post this pussy shit on the Coalition. We eat meat here, son.

DC forum...

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Beer.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Salad.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Tofu.

ClevelandBronco
09-22-2010, 06:34 PM
If you know how to smoke meat, smoke some grass instead.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
If you know how to smoke meat, smoke some grass instead.

ROFL

Rep for you.

DaKCMan AP
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
What are you looking to make? I cook a lot of vegetarian dishes.

bevischief
09-22-2010, 06:43 PM
What are you looking to make? I cook a lot of vegetarian dishes.

This, and what you have on hand and what you can afford.

NewChief
09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
One thing that's easy is just to make what you'd normally make, then make a non-meat version.

For example: Pasta and red sauce. Make one red sauce with meat and one without.

Burgers: just do veggie burgers along with the other burgers.

Stir Fry: Stir fry the meat separate and have people add it in.

Most vegetarians are accustomed to fending for themselves and living off of appetizers and crap when they eat at other people's houses. She'll appreciate any basic attempt to provide a veg option; it doesn't have to be fancy.

Also, is she total veg? My wife, for example, will eat fish. That's usually a good compromise when we hang out with people who really, really can't handle a meal without some sort of meat.

BossChief
09-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I have no experience in anything veg only. Total n00b here.

Thanks NewPhin, that's a good start.

Im not trying to be the veg version of Gordan Ramsey here, just trying to give a little effort so that I dont have to eat around her without having anything (other than raw veggies such as carrots, celery and stuff that we keep around to snack on in place of chips and whatnot) that accommodates her choice. Its awkward when I cook and Id like to try to make an alternative a couple times, at least as a gesture.

Mr. Awesome, Im not really sure. Im willing to try anything cause I love cooking and I'm hoping that if I cook, she might offer to do the dishes as I love cooking, but hate doing the cleanup.

What are 3 things you make that dont have more than an hour of prep/cook time? Im sure Ill give em a shot.

I was thinking of making a vegetable lasagna, but I figured some members here would have some good "front line recipes" that I would give a crack at. If one of you has a tested and tasty recipe for one, hit me up.

NewChief
09-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Here are a few off the top of my links:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/04/pasta-with-tomato-blue-cheese-sauce/
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/main-dish/recipe-potato-squash-and-goat-cheese-gratin-090647
http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/fasteasyfresh/2009/02/crispy_black_bean_tacos
The one above is a staple in our house.
http://thaifood.about.com/od/quickeasythairecipes/r/stirfriedveggie.htm
http://foodjunta.com/2010/03/12/sour-cream-enchiladas-fire-logs/
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Thai-Tofu-Lettuce-Wraps
http://thebittenword.typepad.com/thebittenword/2010/03/sauteed-brussels-sprouts-with-sriracha-and-cashews.html
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/special-dietary-needs/vegetarian/savory-lentil-loaf/

Hog Farmer
09-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Pickled sausage .

Param
09-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I have no experience in anything veg only. Total n00b here.

Thanks NewPhin, that's a good start.

Im not trying to be the veg version of Gordan Ramsey here, just trying to give a little effort so that I dont have to eat around her without having anything (other than raw veggies such as carrots, celery and stuff that we keep around to snack on in place of chips and whatnot) that accommodates her choice. Its awkward when I cook and Id like to try to make an alternative a couple times, at least as a gesture.

Mr. Awesome, Im not really sure. Im willing to try anything cause I love cooking and I'm hoping that if I cook, she might offer to do the dishes as I love cooking, but hate doing the cleanup.

What are 3 things you make that dont have more than an hour of prep/cook time? Im sure Ill give em a shot.

I was thinking of making a vegetable lasagna, but I figured some members here would have some good "front line recipes" that I would give a crack at. If one of you has a tested and tasty recipe for one, hit me up.

I'm dating a veggie girl. And yes it sucks.

Saulbadguy
09-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Indian food is the king of vegetarian. I could be a vegetarian if all I had to eat was indian food.

NewChief
09-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm dating a veggie girl. And yes it sucks.

I love meat, but I also was a vegetarian for a few years. I don't mind being married to a vegetarian. The irony is that I really got into cooking (like heavily into cooking... like I've played with the idea of going to culinary school but dont' want to ruin something I love) since we've been dating and married.

The result is that I can cook the shit out of vegetarian food, but I'm pretty pathetic with meat. Since we now have children and want them to eat meat, I've started brushing up on my carnivorous chops... but I've got a long way to go.

BossChief
09-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes. I have a ton (wife is a vegetarian). What sort of stuff are you looking for? If you're seriously getting into it, you need to buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Everything-Vegetarian-Meatless/dp/0764524836he can buy the book, aint my girl. Im just tired of feeling like an ass for cooking meat only to have her remind me that she is vegetarian when I hand her a plate.

This, and what you have on hand and what you can afford. Im looking at making something from scratch tomorrow after I get off work.

Again, not trying to be gordon ramsey, but I dont want to eat something that doesnt taste good either or have to spend 2 hours on something I wont enjoy too.

Dayze
09-22-2010, 07:56 PM
what are these 'vegetables' you speak of?'

and this guy you rent a room to has a girlfriend?

TTIWWP

Hug it Out Dan
09-22-2010, 08:06 PM
"Vegetarians are vegetarians so they can get attention."
- shit my dad says -

Que Card QB
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Got any good ones?Ratatouille Bake. Made this last night. Very good! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ratatouille-Bake/Detail.aspx edit: it was simple. Basically skillet grill whatever veggies, onions, peppers, spices... I used a can of roasted/diced tomatoes. Frozen cheese ravioli par cooked for 5 min. then layer in baking dish, top with skillet veggis and mozzarella. Bake 350 about 20 min.

Delicious for vegetarian.

yhf
09-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Veggie lasagna is actually a pretty solid play. My wife was a vegetarian for the first few years of our relationship. The easiest thing for me to make that we could both enjoy was lasagna. At the end of the day NewPhin is right in saying that making a meatless version of a dish you already enjoy is the best way to start.

It's those pesky fucking vegans that are hard to cook for.

DaKCMan AP
09-22-2010, 08:10 PM

3 easy, low prep time meals:

If you make tacos or fajitas, just make a vegetable version. Substitute beans (black or pinto) for meat. Just buy fresh vegetables (onion, peppers, zucchini, squash, broccoli, etc.), garlic, and salsa. In a skillet heat oil and then throw in the sliced/chopped vegetables and minced garlic. After the vegetables are cooked stir in salsa (and if you have it, cumin, black pepper, and chili powder). Cover and cook for 5mins. (Easy way) buy canned beans and just microwave. Serve with either tortillas or taco shells and allow everyone to make their own taco/fajita. You can also serve sour cream, cheese, guacamole or anything else on the side along with tortilla chips.

Instead of chicken, make eggplant parmesan. Slice eggplant into 1/4" round slices. Dip into an egg-beat mixture and then coat with Italian breadcrumbs. In a baking dish put a thin layer of tomato sauce then a layer of your breaded eggplant. Then top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then do another layer of sauce, eggplant, cheese. On the top layer top with fresh parsley and fresh (or dried) basil and oregano. Bake in the oven at 350F for 35mins. If the top isn't browned and you want it to switch the oven to broil for the final 2-3mins. If she doesn't eat egg you can substitute olive oil and if she doesn't eat dairy cheese you can use soy cheese.

Falafel. Canned garbanzo beans, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, fresh (or dried) parsley, 1.5 tsp cumin, black pepper. Combine in a bowl and mash all together. Form into small ping-pong size balls and coat with breadcrumbs. Fry in 2-inches of oil until gold/brown. Serve in pitas with lettuce, tomato, olives, hummus, whatever else you like.

NewChief
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Ratatouille Bake. Made this last night. Very good! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ratatouille-Bake/Detail.aspx

Good one. We're always looking for ways to use up our farmer's market veggies, and this fits the bill.

NewChief
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
3 easy, low prep time meals:

Falafel. Canned garbanzo beans, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, fresh (or dried) parsley, 1.5 tsp cumin, black pepper. Combine in a bowl and mash all together. Form into small ping-pong size balls and coat with breadcrumbs. Fry in 2-inches of oil until gold/brown. Serve in pitas with lettuce, tomato, olives, hummus, whatever else you like.

Never made falafel this way. Way quicker than mine (that requires a 24 hour soak of the chickpeas). The rest of mine is quick, but it has to be planned 24 hours in advance.

DaKCMan AP
09-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Never made falafel this way. Way quicker than mine (that requires a 24 hour soak of the chickpeas). The rest of mine is quick, but it has to be planned 24 hours in advance.

Yeah, buying and cooking your own beans is better but in a time crunch I just buy canned beans.

Still plan on trying that chickpea fries recipe you sent a while back. :thumb:

FAX
09-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Rice is good. Easy to make, too.

1. Boil water.
2. Put in rice.
3. Wait.
4. Remove extra water from rice (do not use hands for this).
5. Eat rice.

FAX

NewChief
09-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, buying and cooking your own beans is better but in a time crunch I just buy canned beans.

Still plan on trying that chickpea fries recipe you sent a while back. :thumb:

Yeah, with mine you just soak the beans. You never boil them. You food process them soaked (but not boiled) with the other ingredients (pretty similar to the rest of your recipe). They cook when you fry them (which means they're not always fully cooked). Makes for some hellacious farting. Also my recipe doesn't have bread crumbs, which I think would probably be good in it.

Anyway, I'll definitely try it sometime soon! And definitely get the chickpea flour (speaking of... I need to get some more).