PDA

View Full Version : Misc Texting Taking a Deadly Toll on Roads

Donger
09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20100924/hl_hsn/textingtakingadeadlytollonroads

THURSDAY, Sept. 23 (HealthDay News) -- Distracted driving fatalities caused by cell phone use and texting soared in the space of three years, according to new U.S. government research released Thursday.

Texting alone caused more than 16,000 deaths in car accidents from 2001 to 2007, the researchers estimated. But auto deaths involving cell phones and texting while driving rose 28 percent in just three years, from 4,572 in 2005 to 5,870 in 2008.

"The increases in distracted driving seem to be largely driven by increased use of cell phones to text," said lead researcher Fernando Wilson, an assistant professor in the School of Public Health at the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth.

"Overall use of cell phones have been pretty steady, but texting volumes have increased dramatically in the last few years," he added.

Distracted driving and its deadly toll was the focus of a government summit this week in Washington, D.C., at which officials called for tougher laws to counter the growing trend. They reported that more than 5,000 people were killed last year in distracted driving crashes.

In January, the government banned truck and bus drivers who travel interstate roadways from using a handheld device to send text messages.

The latest report, published online Sept. 23 in the American Journal of Public Health, uses data from the National Center for Statistics and Analysis's Fatality Analysis Reporting System, which recorded all fatalities that occurred on public roads in the United States from 1999 to 2008.

Wilson's team found that drunk drivers are less inhibited about using cell phones as they drive. And there were also increased crashes into light poles, trees and other objects, with men involved in growing numbers.

"All this is consistent with people not paying attention while they are driving," Wilson said.

Solving the problem is complex, Wilson noted. He has no ready answers, but he suggested that "we need technologies that inhibit cell phone use while driving" and that more effective law enforcement of cell phone bans would also help.

Frank Drews, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Utah, said that "this is a timely study that adds another piece to the literature on driver distraction."

Drews added: "With work like this, it will be a little bit harder to deny that cell phone use while driving has a significant negative impact on public safety. I think at this point, once again, the question comes to mind, how much more scientific evidence will politicians need to put laws in place that protect the public from the dangers associated with cell phone use while driving?"

Jennifer Smith, a board member of FocusDriven, which advocates against cell phone use while driving, put it more bluntly.

The more than 5,000 traffic deaths each year from cell phone use is "equivalent to a major airliner going down every week in this country," she said. "If that was happening, they would ground all flights until they figured out what the problem was and they solved it. But because everyone likes their cell phones, we have to debate this."

Smith noted that all cell phone use when driving -- including hands-free cell phone use -- is dangerous. "All we need to be doing in our cars is driving. No phone call is that important that you can't wait until you stop," she said.

Shogun
09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
If only they listened to you Dexter...

CaliforniaChief
09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
And half of ChiefsPlanet encourages Matt Cassel to text Haley on the way into the stadium...acknowledging that he sucks and that Jamaal Charles should get more carries.

Donger
09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I wonder what people would think about this: What if there was a way to disable a cell phones functionality if the phone "senses" that the owner is moving at, say, more than ten miles per hour? And make it mandatory?

What would people think of that idea?

Shogun
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
I wonder what people would think about this: What if there was a way to disable a cell phones functionality if the phone "senses" that the owner is moving at, say, more than ten miles per hour? And make it mandatory?

then a fuck ton of people would drive 10 mph

RedDread
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Nothing to see here, Darwin at work.

Donger
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Nothing to see here, Darwin at work.

I would agree with you, but there's the little problem of these people not being on the road alone.

Pants
09-24-2010, 01:12 PM

I'd be all for it. The only time I text anyone while driving is when I'm stuck in traffic and am going at 5mph.

Baconeater
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
BUT I DRIVES GOOD WHILE I IS TEXTING!!!1!

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 01:14 PM
This is why I'm sure we won't turn into the world portrayed in Idiocracy. While dumbasses may breed faster, they also tend to die faster...and in my experience listening to others, it seems that seeing a close elder die because of a stupid mistake they made causes a child to strive to become much smarter in life.

It would at least save quite a few innocent lives. OTOH, idiot-proofing (much like baby-proofing) inhibits the learning of lessons. Toddlers learn to stay away from electrical sockets by getting curious. Teenagers learn the value of a dollar by racking up bills and realizing no one else is paying them off. The list just goes on...what kind of pattern are we setting if we mess with that? It's getting too close to interfering with nature...and I wouldn't want to see how nature corrects the balance if we ruined this one little part of her plan.

Bane
09-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Well there goes using it even as a passenger eh?
Posted via Mobile Device

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 01:17 PM
I would agree with you, but there's the little problem of these people not being on the road alone.

The smartest, most responsible motorists would likely notice and back up, speed ahead, or otherwise dodge the texter. Sucks for the average joe, though.

Donger
09-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Well there goes using it even as a passenger eh?
Posted via Mobile Device

Kill joy!

Pants
09-24-2010, 01:21 PM
This is why I'm sure we won't turn into the world portrayed in Idiocracy. While dumbasses may breed faster, they also tend to die faster...and in my experience listening to others, it seems that seeing a close elder die because of a stupid mistake they made causes a child to strive to become much smarter in life.

It would at least save quite a few innocent lives. OTOH, idiot-proofing (much like baby-proofing) inhibits the learning of lessons. Toddlers learn to stay away from electrical sockets by getting curious. Teenagers learn the value of a dollar by racking up bills and realizing no one else is paying them off. The list just goes on...what kind of pattern are we setting if we mess with that? It's getting too close to interfering with nature...and I wouldn't want to see how nature corrects the balance if we ruined this one little part of her plan.

Your retarded fucking theory goes out the window when it concerns innocent bystanders (or drivers and their passengers in this case). We all know you're a skilled and amazing driver who can spot and dodge a texter at all times. Shit, you can even hit the side of the house with your car if you aim really hard.

Jesus Christ, STFU.

Bane
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Kill joy!

I hear ya.I just don't see that working though,there is no "fix all" to save people from themselves.We learn and adapt or we die.That's how it has work forever.No need to fuck with the plan.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
I haven't gotten the scoot out all season because I'm tired of dodging these idiots.

They don't tend to kill themselves, they tend to kill others.

This kind of thing should be punished just as harshly as drunk driving accidents, if not worse. With drunk driving, there's at least the argument that you weren't in complete control of your faculties when you did something that irresponsible. No such defense exists with this texting/driving thing.

It's just stupid.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2010, 01:25 PM

#1) It could be relatively easily done, but it would have to be linked with a GPS locator in the phone, which means that people who were so inclined could disable it, as it is just "software".

#2) If said locator was also tied in with an ability to call emergency services only it might go over better.

#3) If it could also be circumvented by hands-free device, that might help popularity

I guess what I'm saying is that it would be technologically feasible, but the best way to go about implementing it might be to have a software solution that disables the screen while in motion (thus negating the ability to text) and shuts off the speaker and microphone of the phone. Thus, only a bluetooth or other headset device could work in its stead, which would free both hands.

DJ's left nut
09-24-2010, 01:39 PM
You could also cut way back on drunk driving by installing a breathalizer on the steering column, yet we don't do so.

Let's just obliterate folks for doing it.

Get caught texting while driving - go to fucking jail. Do it a second time and go to jail for a looooong time. If anyone can explain to me how this is less dangerous than drunk driving, I'd gladly listen, but I guarantee you that your average driver with a .010 is a hell of a lot less dangerous than some bubble-headed high schooler with her hands off the wheel and her eyes in her lap.

Fish
"All this is consistent with people not paying attention while they are driving," Wilson said.

Shocking revelation....

Demonpenz
#2 killer is texting #1 is Asians

veist
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
The insurance industry generally disagrees with the premise that cell phones are a great scourge in auto crashes: http://jalopnik.com/5644967/texting-and-driving-may-not-lead-to-more-crashes

The question is how are these new distractions, cellphones and texting, being integrated into the other things drivers do when they drive. Is this adding to their distractions, or is it merely substituting for other kind of distractions? If it's only the latter, it suggests we shouldn't see too big an increase in crashes, and indeed we haven't. More than that, it also suggests that if you get people to stop talking on their cellphones or texting, but not addressing any other kind of distractions, then they're likely to go back on them.

Baconeater
09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Well the insurance industry can suck it. And besides, I don't fear for my life because of these idiots, it's just goddamn annoying to be stuck behind them in traffic. When I'm in my car it's because I have someplace I need to get to, and I don't have the patience for some fuckstick going 10mph under the speed limit because he's more concerned about his fucking phone call that can't wait.

veist
09-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Well the insurance industry can suck it. And besides, I don't fear for my life because of these idiots, it's just goddamn annoying to be stuck behind them in traffic. When I'm in my car it's because I have someplace I need to get to, and I don't have the patience for some ****stick going 10mph under the speed limit because he's more concerned about his ****ing phone call that can't wait.

Its the same guy that would be dinking with his radio or trying to read the newspaper while driving. The issue isn't cellphones its retards that act like they have better things to do than pay attention to the road while driving.

BWillie
09-24-2010, 02:35 PM
lol I text all the time when I drive, but w/ swype I don't even have to look at my phone when I'm texting and I can do it w/ one hand. So shoot me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
lol I text all the time when I drive, but w/ swype I don't even have to look at my phone when I'm texting and I can do it w/ one hand. So shoot me.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee240/Lambo177/Get%20Those%20Gifs/AndHereWeGo.gif

FAX
09-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I personally know 2 people who have been crashed into by texting drivers.

Curiously, women can simultaneously apply makeup, drink coffee, and eat a raisin croissant while driving with little or no problem, but have difficulty texting without crashing into something ... it's kind of strange.

FAX

POND_OF_RED
09-24-2010, 02:41 PM

Hopefully you have 3 hands then. 10 AND 2 ASSHOLE!. :D

Pestilence
09-24-2010, 02:43 PM
This is why I use speech to text.....and that's still only at a red light or when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic.

Fish
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM

:facepalm:

Good fucking grief.....

Duck Dog
09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

I have a friend who developed an app that disables the texting device and sends a message back to the sender that you are in route. Insurance companies are negotiating with him for it now.

Bearcat
09-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Wilson's team found that drunk drivers are less inhibited about using cell phones as they drive. And there were also increased crashes into light poles, trees and other objects, with men involved in growing numbers.

I'm not going in circles with this discussion again, but I will point out, once again, this type of statement is for shock value and it's crap that news sources keep saying this without showing the math behind it.

I've seen some really bad tests/simulations on this, but I've also seen a couple of good videos that document this claim... and when the outcome proves this statement, 1) the drunk driving tests or stats were with about .08-.085% BAC, and the reduced reaction time amounted to less than 1 car length of reaction time/stopping time at 60mph, and 2) the reaction time of texting while driving was marginally worse. Worse? Yes, it went to 1.5-2 car lengths at 60mph.

I'm not going to stand on my soapbox again and defend the good drivers, because I've never said it's not a problem with the stupid/oblivious people in the world, just like kids in the back seat, CDs, etc. But, they could at least give the whole story and let you interpret the numbers instead of the "OMG we're all going to die because it's like everyone around you is hammered on the highway!!!" bullshit.

The more than 5,000 traffic deaths each year from cell phone use is "equivalent to a major airliner going down every week in this country," she said. "If that was happening, they would ground all flights until they figured out what the problem was and they solved it. But because everyone likes their cell phones, we have to debate this."

...speaking of bullshit. :rolleyes: ~40,000 domestic flights per day compared to ~60 million registered vehicles (rough numbers from a Google search... the 60 million is 5 years old, the flights were 37,000 in 2009).

If half of registered vehicles (no clue though) are on the road each day (and if my math is right), 5000 vehicle deaths/year is actually like 40,000 people dying each year in airline crashes, and using her 96 passengers/plan, that would be 8 major arliners per week.

So, her analogy of "grounding every flight" for one major airliner per week is actually like saying something incredibly stupid over 625 vehicle deaths per year from texting, which would have been 1.8% of deaths on the road and not 15%... and apparently that's close to LA county in 2009...

Los Angeles County mirrored the national and statewide trends, with traffic fatalities at the lowest level in at least five years, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In 2009, 588 deaths were reported, down from 750 reported in 2005.

...in case you wanted to know. ;)

Chiefs Rool
09-24-2010, 02:48 PM
If you text while ya drive, it should be legal to punch you in the face.

Guru
09-24-2010, 02:54 PM
anything that will get people to stop using their phones while driving is a good thing. I was rolled by a phone user.

Amnorix
09-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Ought to be serious license revocation penalties for texting while driving. It's tempting to treat it like DUI for chrissakes. It's dangerous as hell.

Pants
09-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Yesterday I was getting onto the I-435 W ramp from Metcalf and some stupid ass whore in a white Nissan Murano started merging into me from her lane. I held my horn and looked up and she was on her cell phone completely oblivious to anything going on around her. I wish I had a paintball gun on me.

I bet I got like 17 grey hairs from that. That shit was way too close.

ChiTown
09-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I personally know 2 people who have been crashed into by texting drivers.

Curiously, women can simultaneously apply makeup, drink coffee, and eat a raisin croissant while driving with little or no problem, but have difficulty texting without crashing into something ... it's kind of strange.

FAX

ROFL so fucking true!

Guru
09-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Yesterday I was getting onto the I-435 W ramp from Metcalf and some stupid ass whore in a white Nissan Murano started merging into me from her lane. I held my horn and looked up and she was on her cell phone completely oblivious to anything going on around her. I wish I had a paintball gun on me.

Oh, I am sure she is one of those people that swears she is capable of multi-tasking while driving too.:shake:

Guru
09-24-2010, 03:08 PM
It really pisses me off when I see cops doing it.

Pants
09-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Oh, I am sure she is one of those people that swears she is capable of multi-tasking while driving too.:shake:

You know it, man.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 03:15 PM
You could also cut way back on drunk driving by installing a breathalizer on the steering column, yet we don't do so.

Let's just obliterate folks for doing it.

Get caught texting while driving - go to ****ing jail. Do it a second time and go to jail for a looooong time. If anyone can explain to me how this is less dangerous than drunk driving, I'd gladly listen, but I guarantee you that your average driver with a .010 is a hell of a lot less dangerous than some bubble-headed high schooler with her hands off the wheel and her eyes in her lap.

If you go by Mythbusters' ruling, it's the same thing. Might as well have the same regulations.

Plus, seeing classmates get into these accidents has deterred some from doing the same.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 03:19 PM

You gripe about how horrible I am for saying the smartest can get out of the way in time, yet post in the same thread that even you managed to dodge the exact situation I was talking about?

FAIL. :shake:

Brock
09-24-2010, 03:30 PM
You gripe about how horrible I am for saying the smartest can get out of the way in time, yet post in the same thread that even you managed to dodge the exact situation I was talking about?

There's no one quite as wise as a 20 year old kid who's never been anywhere or done anything.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 03:31 PM
There's no one quite as wise as a 20 year old kid who's never been anywhere or done anything.

We have one of those here? Who's that?

L.A. Chieffan
09-24-2010, 03:32 PM
It really pisses me off when I see cops doing it.

They passed the California law that you cant talk on your cell while driving. That shit is a joke, I see cops still on their phones all the time

Brock
09-24-2010, 03:33 PM
We have one of those here? Who's that?

If you're sitting at a poker table and can't figure out who the dumbshit is....

OnTheWarpath58
09-24-2010, 03:38 PM
I was stuck behind a tractor trailer on 70 yesterday driving to KC. Dude was all over the place, and doing about 65 in the fast lane.

Finally got around him, and sure as shit, he's texting.

Pestilence
09-24-2010, 03:39 PM
They passed the California law that you cant talk on your cell while driving. That shit is a joke, I see cops still on their phones all the time

They passed that law and I still see everyone talking on their cell phones. That law did jack shit.

Pants
09-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Yes, because obviously the situation will ALWAYS present itself in a way where escape is possible. If there were cars in front of me and behind me, I'm either in the ditch and paying for the damages myself or I get rear ended because I slam my breaks to avoid the dumbshit merging into me or I let the Murano hit me.

It doesn't matter how smart or skilled Slayer is (which is not much, obviously) he won't always have the chance to escape the shitty driving of a person not paying attention.

BWillie
09-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Ought to be serious license revocation penalties for texting while driving. It's tempting to treat it like DUI for chrissakes. It's dangerous as hell.

How are you going to prove someone is texting? You see a cop start to follow you? Delete it.

If he says I'm texting when driving I'd ask him how he knows, and indicate I was using my GPS on my phone. There is really nothing I can think of to curb texting.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 03:50 PM
If you're sitting at a poker table and can't figure out who the dumbshit is....

Bah! I resent every one of those wild allegations! I'm 22, I'm not wise, I've seen more of the world than most, and I've done things that...oh, not falling into that trap. Let's just say you wouldn't even think of doing those things for a Klondike Bar.

Now, maybe I am a little optimistic for the average person's ability to get away from a dumbass on a cell phone...after all, there are hundreds of thousands of people who have been unable to get away from drunk drivers in time. Still, it's already unnatural enough for people to be in 2-ton machines, cruising at 45-90 mph...so we have to accept the additional risk.

ClevelandBronco
09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm posting this thank-you reply from the scene of the accident that I just caused.

Fish
09-24-2010, 03:56 PM
How are you going to prove someone is texting? You see a cop start to follow you? Delete it.

If he says I'm texting when driving I'd ask him how he knows, and indicate I was using my GPS on my phone. There is really nothing I can think of to curb texting.

Except the bloody fiery deaths of your victims...

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes, because obviously the situation will ALWAYS present itself in a way where escape is possible. If there were cars in front of me and behind me, I'm either in the ditch and paying for the damages myself or I get rear ended because I slam my breaks to avoid the dumbshit merging into me or I let the Murano hit me.

Granted there are those situations you can't escape from, but as I was just telling Brock in the previous post, there is an additional risk that comes with the setting. That's why they tell everyone about it in schools, on the driver's test, etc. You're supposed to watch out for your own ass because you cannot trust anyone else on the road...not that they can see you, not that they give a damn about you.

**Adding: And yeah, the cold hard fact of life is that sometimes you have to decide between the temporary problem of paying for damages to your car, or the permanent problem of death. Sh*t happens. Deal with it and don't expect the rest of the country to idiot-proof everything. We have enough problems with trying to protect from "acts of god".

Guru
09-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Bah! I resent every one of those wild allegations! I'm 22, I'm not wise, I've seen more of the world than most, and I've done things that...oh, not falling into that trap. Let's just say you wouldn't even think of doing those things for a Klondike Bar.

Now, maybe I am a little optimistic for the average person's ability to get away from a dumbass on a cell phone...after all, there are hundreds of thousands of people who have been unable to get away from drunk drivers in time. Still, it's already unnatural enough for people to be in 2-ton machines, cruising at 45-90 mph...so we have to accept the additional risk.
There are situations that are inescapable. I was in one. To say that most accidents are avoidable is just plain stupid.

BWillie
09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Except the bloody fiery deaths of your victims...

Hey, I agree something should be done about it but there isn't anything I can think of in this day and age to curb it.

Guru
09-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey, I agree something should be done about it but there isn't anything I can think of in this day and age to curb it.

I like the GPS idea myself. Granted it screws it up for passengers but I'm OK with it.

BWillie
09-24-2010, 04:07 PM
There are situations that are inescapable. I was in one. To say that most accidents are avoidable is just plain stupid.

They are. Unless it's a rear-end collision or someone who is right next to you merges into you most accidents can be avoided even if you weren't in the wrong. People are found 0% at fault all the time, and yes, they could have avoided it by the non-fault party.

Say you are going through a green light, just taking care of business looking ahead where you are going to go....a drunk driver runs a red light in a big intersection and sure he's going to be found 100% at fault. Truthfully though, if you were being careful, looking in all directions before you go through the intersection you could have probably avoided it and mitigated your damage. There are cases where theres nothing you can do in all instances, but I guarantee you there are many many more instances than most people think where you could have avoided an accident just be being more observant and aware of your surroundings. Nothing that would lead you to be found at fault in court, or anywhere else, but nonetheless would have helped you avoid an accident.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 04:09 PM
There are situations that are inescapable. I was in one. To say that most accidents are avoidable is just plain unproveable.

FYP.

Hundreds of thousands of people get into accidents per year...hell, it's probably in the millions. How many people *almost* get into accidents? Probably billions, but we don't know because we don't report things that didn't happen.

Guru
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
They are. Unless it's a rear-end collision or someone who is right next to you merges into you most accidents can be avoided even if you weren't in the wrong. People are found 0% at fault all the time, and yes, they could have avoided it by the non-fault party.

Say you are going through a green light, just taking care of business looking ahead where you are going to go....a drunk driver runs a red light in a big intersection and sure he's going to be found 100% at fault. Truthfully though, if you were being careful, looking in all directions before you go through the intersection you could have probably avoided it and mitigated your damage. There are cases where theres nothing you can do in all instances, but I guarantee you there are many many more instances than most people think where you could have avoided an accident just be being more observant and aware of your surroundings. Nothing that would lead you to be found at fault in court, or anywhere else, but nonetheless would have helped you avoid an accident.
If I am in the middle of an intersection and somebody blasts me because they didn't see the stop sign I could have avoided it? I was in that exact sitation and it was UNAVOIDABLE. I tried to speed up as soon as I saw him out of the corner of my eye and it did me ZERO good.

Don't even try to convince me that I could have avoided that accident. you were not there.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 04:18 PM
If I am in the middle of an intersection and somebody blasts me because they didn't see the stop sign I could have avoided it? I was in that exact sitation and it was UNAVOIDABLE. I tried to speed up as soon as I saw him out of the corner of my eye and it did me ZERO good.

Don't even try to convince me that I could have avoided that accident. you were not there.

And suppose you didn't speed up, what would've happened? Damage to your spine, perhaps? Surely being hit still sucks big time, but you avoided a worse situation.

Also, as much as we would like to think what happens to us is common for everyone, that's pretty much a worst case scenario of accidents...probably not the majority of them.

Pants
09-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Yeah, so you're supposed to slow down at every green light to make sure you don't get hit by a speeding drunk driver?

JFC.

Baconeater
09-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Yeah, so you're supposed to slow down at every green light to make sure you don't get hit by a speeding drunk driver?

JFC.
If I'm not mistaken he works in the insurance industry, so nothing he says can be taken seriously.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 04:24 PM

JFC.

Didn't see anything in there about slowing down...looking both ways is kind of a kindergarten lesson. Responsible, too.

FAX
09-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think crashing into stuff would get old after awhile.

FAX

Pants
09-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't see anything in there about slowing down...looking both ways is kind of a kindergarten lesson. Responsible, too.

Dude, if you're going at 45mph and crossing an intersections and someone is coming at 45mph right into you, looking both ways isn't going to do you much good. It seriously sounds like you have either never driven or you just have trouble with hypothetical situations. I seriously can't believe the things I'm hearing here.

BWillie
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM

I'm not saying every accident. I'm saying a great deal of them. Much more than people realize.

BWillie
09-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Dude, if you're going at 45mph and crossing an intersections and someone is coming at 45mph right into you, looking both ways isn't going to do you much good. It seriously sounds like you have either never driven or you just have trouble with hypothetical situations. I seriously can't believe the things I'm hearing here.

Yes it does actually...

In fact, I've seen things go to litigation where a guy who was cited for an open container, ran a red light in a 3 lane in each direction intersection and the gal who had the right-of-way with a green light ended up getting 10-20% (don't remember exactly) because she was not maintaining proper lookout and wasn't paying ample attention.

Granted that is an extreme example, most of the time if someone runs a red light, or someone runs a stop sign, or someone makes a left hand turn in front of you..you won't be at fault at all...but that is just because of the lack of evidence showing exactly what you were doing. I'm telling you, most accidents can be avoided even by the not at fault party. If you don't maintain proper lookout in all directions before going through any intersection of any kind even if you have a green light or the right-of-way you are either retarded or you don't care about putting your fate into some idiots hands. You might not be at fault for an accident, but you might as well drive careful because it could save your life.

Hey, just last week I probably would have been wacked by a dude that ran a stop sign in Merriam but I reduced my speed by 10 mph before going through an intersection where I had the right of way and made sure to look around the visual obstructions. Intersections are probably where the majority of death's occur, and while it sucks going out of my way to make sure nobody's coming but I'd rather be alive.

The Pedestrian
09-24-2010, 04:36 PM

Yeah, if you're at the intersection when you decide to look both ways, chances are that you aren't getting out of that without being hit. With many intersections that you'd be going 45 mph on, you can usually see a pretty good segment of the intersecting road...at least enough that you would know if someone's going to meet you in the middle. If it's a wooded area, chances are that it'll be a stop sign instead of a traffic light because the road isn't busy enough.

Baconeater
09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes it does actually...

In fact, I've seen things go to litigation where a guy who was cited for an open container, ran a red light in a 3 lane in each direction intersection and the gal who had the right-of-way with a green light ended up getting 10-20% (don't remember exactly) because she was not maintaining proper lookout and wasn't paying ample attention.
And you probably wonder why people think insurance companies are evil.

mlyonsd
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
A young guy ran a red light T-boning my 79 year old dad last year while texting.

I really don't see a need for texting at all. Let alone using your cell phone at all while driving when moving in a car.

teedubya
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
"No Officer, I was not texting... i was TWEETING."

BWillie
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
"No Officer, I was not texting... i was TWEETING."

ROFL

BWillie
09-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Hey, I'll admit. I text when I'm driving occasionally. I shouldn't. I know it. It's not going to do me any favors. But I do make sure I do it when there isn't traffic by me, and on long straight aways where I can't do any harm to anybody except their unoccupied property.

Bearcat
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Hey, I'll admit. I text when I'm driving occasionally. I shouldn't. I know it. It's not going to do me any favors. But I do make sure I do it when there isn't traffic by me, and on long straight aways where I can't do any harm to anybody except their unoccupied property.

Heh, no use going down that path....

chiefsfan987
09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
8 months ago my dad saw a lady kill her 7 year old daughter all because she had to text while driving on the highway. Initially she swerved out of her lane onto the shoulder a bit but then overcorrected too much and her car rolled over into oncoming traffic (just missing my dad) and into a pond on the other side of the road. She was able to get out but her daughter drowned before anyone could get to her. The sad part about it was that someone had already apparentally called the police a few miles up the road and said they thought it was a drunk driver. They just weren't able to get there in time before the accident happend. Too bad that little girl had to die because her mom was a dumbass.

fakejamaalcharles
09-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I almost hit a guy on a bike the other night when I was drunk driving and texting but almost only counts horseshoe/handgrenades

Psyko Tek
09-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Its the same guy that would be dinking with his radio or trying to read the newspaper while driving. The issue isn't cellphones its retards that act like they have better things to do than pay attention to the road while driving.

if you aren't paying attention you need to drive faster

:evil:

I have "friends" that read books, or watch TV while driving
this was back in the early 90's
and riding with them scared the shit outta me

88TG88
09-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I almost hit a guy on a bike the other night when I was drunk driving and texting but almost only counts horseshoe/handgrenades

You need more carries.

MahiMike
09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Whoa! That article was too long! I almost crashed reading this on my blackberry.

Frazod
09-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I'd like to beat the crap out of people who WALK while texting, let alone those who drive.

Or I should say ATTEMPT to walk/drive. Idiots. :shake:

Baconeater
09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
How about we just beat the crap out of everyone who texts?

Duck Dog
09-24-2010, 08:28 PM

This

Buehler445
09-24-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm going to get beat down, for this, but whatever.

Texting while driving is stupid. People should NOT do it. Unequivocally incorrect course of action.

However, I am uncomfortable with letting any entity regulate my activity. Point is, where do you stop? Texting is bad. But so is eating a cheeseburger while I'm driving. It's amazing how it impairs you. Are you going force me to not eat or drink while I am driving? If I can't drink water, I may get dehydrated and wreck the car. But what do you do? I can't watch the road 100% while I'm drinking water. It doesn't necessarily end there. if I'm talking to my wife, I may not be paying attention to the road. Can I not talk to her either?

All that shit is pretty unreasonable, but where do you draw the line? You're going into pretty damn uncharted territory.

People that text while driving are stupid. But limiting the freedom of reasonable people I am absolutely not comfortable with legislating.

Guru
09-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Texting while driving is stupid. People should NOT do it. Unequivocally incorrect course of action.

However, I am uncomfortable with letting any entity regulate my activity. Point is, where do you stop? Texting is bad. But so is eating a cheeseburger while I'm driving. It's amazing how it impairs you. Are you going force me to not eat or drink while I am driving? If I can't drink water, I may get dehydrated and wreck the car. But what do you do? I can't watch the road 100% while I'm drinking water. It doesn't necessarily end there. if I'm talking to my wife, I may not be paying attention to the road. Can I not talk to her either?

All that shit is pretty unreasonable, but where do you draw the line? You're going into pretty damn uncharted territory.

People that text while driving are stupid. But limiting the freedom of reasonable people I am absolutely not comfortable with legislating.Technically, you are supposed to have both hands on the wheel at all times.

Taco John
09-24-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm a better driver after I've had one or two texts.

dj56dt58
09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
I dont see the problem..I mean I can even get on Chiefsplanet and post while driving. I really dont see the bi

Bearcat
09-25-2010, 03:11 AM

:(

Buehler445
09-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Technically, you are supposed to have both hands on the wheel at all times.

Understood, but I can have 2 hands on the wheel when I talk to my wife. Probably the time when I'm the worst driver is when I'm thinking about the kajillion things I need to do that day and just pay enough attention to keep it on the road.

You can be given a ticket for inattentive driving (at least in Kansas) and IMO, that is where texting falls. They're not physically impaired, they're just too dumb to put the phone away. Give them a ticket for inattentive driving and let the cops make a judgement call on the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
09-25-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm going to discuss with you people further once I get off the highway.

Baconeater
09-25-2010, 08:25 AM

People that text while driving are stupid. But limiting the freedom of reasonable people I am absolutely not comfortable with legislating.
95/5 rule. 95% of the laws are made because of the 5% of idiots who can't make responsible decisions on their own.

And comparing eating or drinking to texting is a bit on the absurd side.

58-4ever
09-25-2010, 08:28 AM
95/5 rule. 95% of the laws are made because of the 5% of idiots who can't make responsible decisions on their own.

And comparing eating or drinking to texting is a bit on the absurd side.

I disagree. I really get into my food.

Baconeater
09-25-2010, 08:30 AM
I disagree. I really get into my food.
It depends, if you're getting down with a steak and baked potato while driving...well that's going to be a problem.

cabletech94
09-25-2010, 09:41 AM
well, if i'm not mistaken, it's okay to text and drive, as long as you are texting about jamal charles carries while driving.

Duck Dog
09-25-2010, 10:55 AM

And you're an idiot too.

thabear04
09-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Did anybody see DMC video bout texting while driving

58-4ever
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Fuck off spammer.

Guru
11-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Just got in for work and some asshole was driving next to me weaving in and out of his lane because he was screwing around with his fuggin iPad.