PDA

View Full Version : Football good charlie weis interview.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
09-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Some valuable snippets in here. I like this guy.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Words-from-Practice-Charlie-Weis/e2a67ac0-ee62-41fb-a7cd-9fa51c68e239

yhf
09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
He didn't shy away from supporting Clausen and he sure seems to be a lot more willing to address the intent of the reporters questions. Interesting stuff.

keg in kc
09-24-2010, 09:46 PM
I think Crennel talked today, too. Not sure if it's going to be a regular Friday thing or not.

Tuckdaddy
09-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Smart man and good interview. I may have to rethink my JC stance. Charlie is looking at the big picture.

Tuckdaddy
09-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Want to run it in comment was odd. It's the safe thing to do but the more you score the better. Surely he doesn't mean not taking shots at the end zone.

Art Vader
09-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Solid interview

Mr. Laz
09-24-2010, 10:14 PM
'you have to think along with the head coach and think about the big picture, think of the length of the season ... you have to be thinking about week 7,week 8,week 12,week 14 ... you can't just be thinking about 1 week/1 game.'
------------------------------------------------------------------

i think this is the key to the jamaal charles stuff. Haley wants Charles to be healthy and full speed in the 2nd half of the season.

If they have to burn Charles to win in the 1st half of the season then what's the point. On the other hand, if they can win and still preserve Charles in the 1st half of the season then they might have something.

Count Alex's Losses
09-24-2010, 10:20 PM
I loved Weis' comments about playcalling and thinking ahead to the next snap.

"That's why we don't get delay of game penalties."

Count Alex's Losses
09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I guess what I really get from this...is the Chiefs don't think Charles can carry the load.

I bet he was beat up as hell at the end of last year.

Demonpenz
09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Charles

Chiefaholic
09-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess what I really get from this...is the Chiefs don't think Charles can carry the load.

I bet he was beat up as hell at the end of last year.

Ding.....Ding... We have a winner! Had the Chiefs gone into the season and ran Charles like they did Johnson, he'de be beat up and possily done before season's end. But, now that he has a talented player to split the carries and extend Charles career, people are crying that he doesn't get enough carries. I want Charles to carry the rock when this TEAM is a legitimate playoff contender.

Count Alex's Losses
09-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Look at what the Chiefs did last year...they had no one else to run the rock. Charles carried it an assload down the stretch. Then he has shoulder surgery.

First thing the Chiefs do this offseason...sign a guy who can carry the load.

Wallcrawler
09-24-2010, 11:33 PM
I want Charles to carry the rock when this TEAM is a legitimate playoff contender.

Most running backs dont play into their 40's.

Smed1065
09-24-2010, 11:37 PM
Is it shadows are the facial hairs messed up?

Maybe a frown or a covert action?

Smed1065
09-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Good interview!

keg in kc
09-24-2010, 11:44 PM

I bet he was beat up as hell at the end of last year.There was a comment in there (I think - I'm really tired...) that hinted that he believed either guy could carry the load in a game. After all the talk before that about how they had so many front line players that they're trying to involve, the impression I got was that the number of carries each of them gets may vary from week to week, that some weeks Jones will get the lion's share, and other weeks Charles will. Thought he was pretty adamant that they weren't trying to protect Charles though, when he responded about the shoulder surgery. Got the impression listening to him that he thinks they're both starting backs, and that they plan to use them both. A lot.

And I wish I knew what he was seeing in practice from Cassel (literally speaking). He seems genuinely confident that the guy is slowly starting to get it. And it didn't read like bs coachspeak.

I like it when these guys talk, he and Crennel, they seem willing to say more than Haley. Not in a "feel better about the team" sense, just a "getting more detailed info" sense.

tk13
09-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Great interview. But as I've said a few times, I'm a huge Weis fan, at least as an offensive coordinator. I think he was a great hire.

tk13
09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
I like it when these guys talk, he and Crennel, they seem willing to say more than Haley. Not in a "feel better about the team" sense, just a "getting more detailed info" sense.

That's probably a good thing though, considering they're the guys calling the plays. I like the combination of guys we have now. It's not too different from teams like the Steelers or Ravens... young head coaches, very experienced, smart coordinators.

DaneMcCloud
09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Great interview. But as I've said a few times, I'm a huge Weis fan, at least as an offensive coordinator. I think he was a great hire.

Reetard_KC disagrees

TinyEvel
09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I wasn't able to open the interview. Did anyone ask him why Cassel isn't getting enough carries?

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Big, big, big, big fan of Jimmy Clausen.

He also kept referring to the "Head Coach".

Yeah, they're on the same exact page in regards to the QB situation.

:rolleyes:

BossChief
09-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Let me eat some crow...he said flat out that the shoulder hasn't played a part in the amount or carries Jamaal has gotten.

I like both hires. Charlie was my hopeful #1 OC and Romeo was my hopeful #2 DC and both seem to be doing a good job so far. 2-0 so far.

I still think these guys truly believe this team will be in the playoff hunt and maybe even a division title towards the end of the year.

crazycoffey
09-25-2010, 02:26 AM
There was a comment in there (I think - I'm really tired...) that hinted that he believed either guy could carry the load in a game. After all the talk before that about how they had so many front line players that they're trying to involve, the impression I got was that the number of carries each of them gets may vary from week to week, that some weeks Jones will get the lion's share, and other weeks Charles will. Thought he was pretty adamant that they weren't trying to protect Charles though, when he responded about the shoulder surgery. Got the impression listening to him that he thinks they're both starting backs, and that they plan to use them both. A lot.

And I wish I knew what he was seeing in practice from Cassel (literally speaking). He seems genuinely confident that the guy is slowly starting to get it. And it didn't read like bs coachspeak.

He said straight up he thinks either guy can run inside, outside, block and catch. Either guy. with the obvious TJ is more on the rugged side and JC is more of a speed guy; either BACK can be an every down back in his offense. That tells me more than any CP poster that he's not playing favorites due to a shoulder surgery or who drafted the player that he's just calling the game and whomever benefits (stat wise) is just benefiting from the roll of the dice.

Furthermore, I still contend that the first few series of the Cleveland game Weis was calling for Cassel to make some plays because they want to give him all the opportunity they can (as a coaching staff) and not for any other reason. IE - JC isn't supposed to get carries......

Count Alex's Losses
09-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Let me eat some crow...he said flat out that the shoulder hasn't played a part in the amount or carries Jamaal has gotten.

Yeah, look at his body language when he says that.

I think he's lying.

They don't think Charles can carry the load.

DaneMcCloud
09-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Yeah, look at his body language when he says that.

I think he's lying.

They don't think Charles can carry the load.

I don't either and never have.

Although you continue to quote me while deleting the crucial point from 2008.

Count Alex's Losses
09-25-2010, 03:25 AM
I don't either and never have.

Although you continue to quote me while deleting the crucial point from 2008.

Can you ever accept my apology?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2010, 03:36 AM
I loved Weis' comments about playcalling and thinking ahead to the next snap.

"That's why we don't get delay of game penalties."

There was a comment in there (I think - I'm really tired...) that hinted that he believed either guy could carry the load in a game. After all the talk before that about how they had so many front line players that they're trying to involve, the impression I got was that the number of carries each of them gets may vary from week to week, that some weeks Jones will get the lion's share, and other weeks Charles will. Thought he was pretty adamant that they weren't trying to protect Charles though, when he responded about the shoulder surgery. Got the impression listening to him that he thinks they're both starting backs, and that they plan to use them both. A lot.

Couldn't agree more. That was my first interview with Weis as a Chief, and I really appreciated the straightforward angle and style.

Jeez, he and Romeo; what an upgrade.

:clap:

'''''''''''''''''''

SenselessChiefsFan
09-25-2010, 05:00 AM

Never said fan that I heard. Said supporter. Minor difference. I was specifically looking to see if he said fan before I read this.

He also talked well of Cassel and how he has done a good job as a manager, and mentioned specifically that Managing the game is the most important part. He also said that Cassel was getting better and better, and that he sees him improving every day, every week.

Yeah, sounds like he 'hates' Cassel. :rolleyes:

Hog Farmer
09-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Damn I wish we had drafted Clausen !

Chiefs Rool
09-25-2010, 08:03 AM
a lot of them comments makes me feel a bit better, pacing Charles isn't a bad move I guess. Let us sneak into the playoffs and have him EXPLODE!

ILChief
09-25-2010, 08:18 AM
My prediction:

We ditch Cassel and sign Brady Quinn in the offseason.

Flame away

boogblaster
09-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Weis is wise ...

Alphaman
09-25-2010, 08:20 AM
There's one thing I wish they would do with the running backs and it would help preserve both Charles and Jones over the stretch of the season. Use Jackie Battle as the short yardage RB. He his bigger and more powerful than Charles and Jones. He showed that power in the preseason.

rad
09-25-2010, 08:25 AM

1. Why you gotta make fat jokes?:D

2. Could you expand on the rest of this post? I'm not pickin' up what you're puttin' down. It's early.

Chiefs Rool
09-25-2010, 08:30 AM
There's one thing I wish they would do with the running backs and it would help preserve both Charles and Jones over the stretch of the season. Use Jackie Battle as the short yardage RB. He his bigger and more powerful than Charles and Jones. He showed that power in the preseason.

ya but if we use Battle too, everybody is gonna call him Marty because of running back by committee.

DaWolf
09-25-2010, 11:48 AM
My prediction:

We ditch Cassel and sign Brady Quinn in the offseason.

Flame away

If we wanted Quinn we could have had him in the offseason for a bag of chips.

I think they also realize that at 32, Thomas Jones isn't going to carry the load for the entire season. So we may end up seeing games alternating who gets the most touches...

Chiefshrink
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM

F'N THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!

I love how Jackie Battle runs always running downhill with punishing power not to mention deceptively quick and fast called "game speed".

We need to get this guy more involved for sure:thumb:

Chiefs Pantalones
09-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Battle goes for 100 yards this game

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-25-2010, 03:08 PM

This.

ya but if we use Battle too, everybody is gonna call him Marty because of running back by committee.

Ummm....1) We're already there. 2) Who gives a flying fuck what anyone calls Haley as long as we're using the right RB for the right play?
I LIKE mixing it up as long as the right guy has the right assignment. We're at a stage where fans hanging on to one particular player, and putting that player on a pedestal because the rest of the team sucks( see: Gonzales, Herm-Era )has GOT to come to fucking end, and the Chiefs become a TEAM.

As far as I'm concerned, the method of coaching/saying/playing to these guys that, "Yes, you're talented, but you are NOT special" is EXACTLY what needs to be happening.

Marcellus
09-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Interesting read. I think we will see more JC and I am all for it. That being said TJ is playing well. His overall ypc doesn't look great but it is deceiving.
I watched the 2nd half of the game again and TJ was avg 5 yards a carry right up to the 4thqtr when we took the lead.

I want more JC but people act like Jones is LJ or something.

johnny961
09-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Good interview. Some have questioned Weis playcalling but I think he's still kinda experimenting to see what works and what doesn't with our personnel. I think he has a better handle on the situation than some have given him credit for. Just my impression, though.

Chiefshrink
09-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Interesting read. I think we will see more JC and I am all for it. That being said TJ is playing well. His overall ypc doesn't look great but it is deceiving.
I watched the 2nd half of the game again and TJ was avg 5 yards a carry right up to the 4thqtr when we took the lead.

I want more JC but people act like Jones is LJ or something.

What will be interesting is to see if Haley/Pioli give in to all the bad press they recieved this week by not giving JC the ball as much.

I mean when the NFL Network has a fantasy segment called "What were you thinking" and Todd Haley was the No.1 hated person in fantasy that is some serious bad press for 2-0 team but then, they are 2-0 so "F" the press. I agree with Weis, you have to be smart and look at this from a marathon big picture perspective of the season ahead.

BossChief
09-26-2010, 12:24 AM
What will be interesting is to see if Haley/Pioli give in to all the bad press they recieved this week by not giving JC the ball as much.

I mean when the NFL Network has a fantasy segment called "What were you thinking" and Todd Haley was the No.1 hated person in fantasy that is some serious bad press for 2-0 team but then, they are 2-0 so "F" the press. I agree with Weis, you have to be smart and look at this from a marathon big picture perspective of the season ahead.

These guys truly believe we will be in the playoff picture at the end of the year.

kysirsoze
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
These guys truly believe we will be in the playoff picture at the end of the year.

They better believe that! I don't care how low we are. If our coaches start a season thinking we have no chance at making the playoffs then they are losers. Plain and simple.