PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs' run defense

el borracho
09-26-2010, 02:25 PM
There is some absolutely alchemy going on! The Chiefs were absolutely terrible against the run last year. How in the world are we this good on run defense this year? Crennel? Smith? Who or what is making the difference this year?

grandllama
09-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't know. Don't care. Loving every minute of it.

jjjayb
09-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Haley in the offseason:

http://content2.myyearbook.com/zenhex/images/quiz95/474897/474897_res4_huge.60.304024.JPG

CupidStunt
09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Dorsey and DJ are playing like BEASTS. Hali is playing competent, which is a big upgrade. Edwards is playing out of his mind. Belcher is SOLID against the run. Smith has been a very good addition. Berry is like a LB playing safety.

And to top it all off, they're probably the best coached defense in the league.

Huffman83
09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Scheme, I'm sure Smith helps but this seems like a better prepared defense so far.

thurman merman
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Yep, Dorsey and DJ are the big difference-makers.

PGM
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
All that was said plus outstanding tackling.

Rain Man
09-26-2010, 02:32 PM
When you look at what's changed, we have:

Crennel calling the defense
Smith at LDE
DJ and Belcher in the middle
Berry and McGraw/Lewis at safety

It seems like every one of those changes has been positive. I suspect in the NFL there's not a huge difference between bad and good, and we crossed that line at a run.

I gotta say, Smith is impressing the heck out of me. I loved the fact too that he drew a personal foul and didn't do anything to risk it. You need a guy or two like that on your defense who'll get into other players' heads.

PGM
09-26-2010, 02:32 PM
The best part is look how young they are.

thurman merman
09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
All that was said plus outstanding tackling.

Yeah, the Chiefs have hardly missed any tackles all year.

beer bacon
09-26-2010, 02:40 PM
The d-line has been very impressive. Edwards hasn't been getting pushed around. Smith and Dorsey haven't been getting moved and they have been disruptive. Jackson was looking good before the injury. I hope Smith can keep causing at least one personal foul a game. He seems to have a knack for trash talk.

the Talking Can
09-26-2010, 02:41 PM
smith is so much better than jackson and magee it isn't funny

but belcher is cleaning up in the middle...dude had 10 tackles today

and our safties don't whiff in run support

and dorsey is playing like a top 5 pick more often than not

PGM
09-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Props to the guy that was pimping Smith all offseason.

el borracho
09-26-2010, 02:52 PM
When you look at what's changed, we have:

Crennel calling the defense
Smith at LDE
DJ and Belcher in the middle
Berry and McGraw/Lewis at safety

It seems like every one of those changes has been positive. I suspect in the NFL there's not a huge difference between bad and good, and we crossed that line at a run.

I gotta say, Smith is impressing the heck out of me. I loved the fact too that he drew a personal foul and didn't do anything to risk it. You need a guy or two like that on your defense who'll get into other players' heads.

Crennel, Smith, Dorsey, DJ, Belcher and Berry. I've just never seen 1/2 dozen changes work out like this. Hopefully, they continue to impress 2 and 3 weeks from now... I've started to believe in this defense and I'm really not in the mood for the 2009 Chiefs run defense to re-emerge.

Frankie
09-26-2010, 03:02 PM
There is some absolutely alchemy going on! The Chiefs were absolutely terrible against the run last year. How in the world are we this good on run defense this year? Crennel? Smith? Who or what is making the difference this year?

Tim Krumrie

ChiefGator
09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Hali is playing competent, which is a big upgrade.

Competent? Three fuckin' sacks is COMPETENT?!

Hali played great today... Jeezuz fuhkin christ...

Smed1065
09-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Shrooms?

grandllama
09-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Competent? Three ****in' sacks is COMPETENT?!

i was impressed with Hali... he was channeling DT... being held and still getting pressure...

I'm not saying he's the second coming, but he is his own little beast.

Smed1065
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Just worried I will wake up this year.

Too good to be true.

chiefzilla1501
09-26-2010, 03:35 PM
smith is so much better than jackson and magee it isn't funny

but belcher is cleaning up in the middle...dude had 10 tackles today

and our safties don't whiff in run support

and dorsey is playing like a top 5 pick more often than not

Smith has played well. But to say he's so much better is just plain ridiculous.

Jackson played very well against a RT who is miles better than Anthony Davis and John St. Clair combined.

I don't know who's better. But if Jackson plays like he did against San Diego consistently, I think he could very easily be a more disruptive end than Smith.

grandllama
09-26-2010, 03:37 PM

Jackson played very well against a RT who is miles better than Anthony Davis and John St. Clair combined.

I don't know who's better. But if Jackson plays like he did against San Diego consistently, I think he could very easily be a more disruptive end than Smith.

Smith obviously gets in peoples heads (both of 'em if you get my drift)

That makes the opposition get nervous, and a nervous opponent is a good opponent. That is an intangible that Jackson (so far) doesn't have.

blazzin311
09-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Don't know. Don't care. Loving every minute of it.

ROFL Kinda how I'm feeling at the moment....just want to rejoice in this victory for a while really.

the Talking Can
09-26-2010, 03:46 PM

jackson was solid against the chargers, which is a huge step for him and hence why people were so pumped

smith has been fairly dominant for 2 weeks...and i think it is noticeable...

we need jackson absolutely, but i've not seen him raise hell yet like smith has...

Frankie
09-26-2010, 06:22 PM
When is Jackson scheduled to return?

Frankie
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Tim Krumrie

Hey that's pretty good Frankie. You might have something there. :hmmm: While Krumrie was totally ruining Dorsey at his natural position the new DL coach is getting the best out of him at his unaccustomed position.

Frankie
09-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey that's pretty good Frankie. You might have something there. :hmmm: While Krumrie was totally ruining Dorsey at his natural position the new DL coach is getting the best out of him at his unaccustomed position.

EGGZACTLY. That's a pretty good example.

chief4life
09-26-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree he was great today and has been great this year its a lot of different things Berry was amazing today he had Davis locked down today. He is also been a monster against the run. I think it is Crennel that is the difference he is a amazing coach and lets give it up to Charlie Weis today he did great. I love our two new coaches and Todd Haley has a swager to him he didn't last year. :clap:

chiefzilla1501
09-26-2010, 06:37 PM
jackson was solid against the chargers, which is a huge step for him and hence why people were so pumped

smith has been fairly dominant for 2 weeks...and i think it is noticeable...

we need jackson absolutely, but i've not seen him raise hell yet like smith has...

I don't know that I'd call Smith dominant. But he's played very well. But again, keep in mind that he gashed a completely unexperienced rookie today and last week, he gashed a very subpar right tackle in John St. Clair.

Right now, for me, Tyson Jackson had a really solid game against a terrific Right Tackle, and Smith had an excellent game against two horrible Right Tackles. So for me, I'm not sold either way just yet.

FRCDFED
09-26-2010, 06:50 PM
A lot of it has to do with attitude. It seems that Haley/Crennel have quietly managed to give every one of these guys that attitude that Rex Ryan has been trying to instill in NY. Only Haley/Crennel are letting the players do the talking and back up their own actions. I like it!! Haley holds players like DJ accountable. If you say you can play then show me!! They have really stepped up! Every one of them and take pride in handling their business!

On top of that Crennel seems to have them very prepared each week. That alone can build confidence!

dj56dt58
09-26-2010, 06:52 PM

I think he meant against the run

RustShack
09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Props to the guy that was pimping Smith all offseason.

It was MEEE! And thank you.

DaneMcCloud
09-26-2010, 06:55 PM
It's coaching, scheme and maturation.

The Chiefs have FOUR number ones and two number two's. For the first time since 1991, they have a championship caliber DC.

The makeover has been nothing less than stunning.

FAX
09-26-2010, 06:57 PM
I think they d-line is playing with far better technique compared to last year. They are "controlling" their man/men, shedding, and getting into the play. They're also clearing space for the backers ... which is playing within the scheme.

Romeo is the man, so far as I'm concerned. He should get the keys to the city and first rights to bang every betrothed bride within 200 miles.

FAX

RustShack
09-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Jackson coming back will be pretty big too. He was doing pretty well from what I could see in the stands Monday Night. Smith has done very well in his stead, but with Jackson back Smith will still get snaps at DE and also at NT keeping Edwards fresh who has been playing well as well. He should still get a high amount of snaps between the two positions.

mcaj22
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm finally happy to see we have a guy that will stick people in the middle if they make it passed the line, Belcher does a great job of stopping/standing guys up and not whiffing.

RustShack
09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Not only having Crennel has been huge, but also our DL coach. He has played nearly his whole career(14 years?) on Crennel coached teams.. so hes a great guy to have allowing Crennel to work with the rest of the defense a little more also since Pleasant knows a lot of Romeos tricks and trades.

InChiefsHell
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Coaching + Maturation = massive improvement. I agree with Dane, but I think the missing link was the coaches. We are going to be very good on D for a long time...

Frankie
09-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Romeo is the man, so far as I'm concerned. He should get the keys to the city and first rights to bang every betrothed bride within 200 miles.

FAX

You sir can say that because you live fartrher than 200 miles fro KC.

Frankie
09-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Competent! :spock: You do realize Hali had 3 sacks today!!!

Almost 4.

JohnnyV13
09-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I wonder how much of the improved run D is due to better conditioning. Remeber, last year, Haley forced guys to lose lots of weight. Dropping weight suddenly will cost you muscle as well as fat.

This year, guys came to camp in condition. They probably had a better body fat percentage, without the sudden muslce loss. That difference alone could be significant.

Frankie
09-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm finally happy to see we have a guy that will stick people in the middle if they make it passed the line, Belcher does a great job of stopping/standing guys up and not whiffing.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Smith.

CupidStunt
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Read the thread, dude. You can't sack anyone in RUN DEFENSE.

Frankie
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey headsnap. Sorry if I insulted your dream boyfriend in this thread. I certainly didn't think my comments about Krumrie would induce a neg-rep garnished with name calling in anyone. I hope it all helped you aleviate your frustrations about him. Now you can go back to your ritual of kneeling before Krumrie's full size poster to close your eyes and dream.

bevischief
09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
A lot of it has to do with attitude. It seems that Haley/Crennel have quietly managed to give every one of these guys that attitude that Rex Ryan has been trying to instill in NY. Only Haley/Crennel are letting the players do the talking and back up their own actions. I like it!! Haley holds players like DJ accountable. If you say you can play then show me!! They have really stepped up! Every one of them and take pride in handling their business!

On top of that Crennel seems to have them very prepared each week. That alone can build confidence!
:clap:

Great job. Keep up the great work.

Psyko Tek
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Now with all these 1st and 2nd round studs
are we gonna be able to keep them under contract when it comes up?

yeah it's years away but something Clark and his wallet should be thinking about

Zeke
09-27-2010, 12:47 PM

And one player specifically handling other peoples' business.

Fat Elvis
09-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Now with all these 1st and 2nd round studs
are we gonna be able to keep them under contract when it comes up?

yeah it's years away but something Clark and his wallet should be thinking about

Considering that we have one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL, it shouldn't be too hard. Maybe there is a method to Pioli's madness.

PGM
09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
It was MEEE! And thank you.

Well done.

chop
09-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Considering that we have one of the lowest payrolls in the NFL, it shouldn't be too hard. Maybe there is a method to Pioli's madness.

I heard a comment stating that the Cowboys have a higher payroll then both the Chiefs and Bucs combined.

beach tribe
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I wonder how much of the improved run D is due to better conditioning. Remeber, last year, Haley forced guys to lose lots of weight. Dropping weight suddenly will cost you muscle as well as fat.

This year, guys came to camp in condition. They probably had a better body fat percentage, without the sudden muslce loss. That difference alone could be significant.

Yes sir. Discipline, and conditioning have made a HUGE difference in these guys. Shows how much of a loser Herm is. He never held guys accountable for their poor techniques and work ethics. I just cannot believe all of the positive things these coaches have done for these players, and their careers. A lot of people want to give credit for the youth movement to Herm, but it's what Clark wanted all along.
Big Props to Clark. He came out of pocket, and brought in the best GM and coaches available.
Thank you Clark. You do care, and I am extremely thankful.

beach tribe
09-27-2010, 08:02 PM

With the way KC supports a winner, I don't think Clark will have any problem paying our home grown talent, and the way we've built this team he will have plenty of dough to pay the right kind of FAs.

Mr. Laz
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Dorsey can't play in a 3-4 defense
Hali can't play i a 3-4 defense

SenselessChiefsFan
09-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Dorsey can't play in a 3-4 defense
Hali can't play i a 3-4 defense

And, of course, we will suck this year without a fat, under motivated NT, and a OLB with significant injury concerns.