PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs This Morning's SF Chronic on the Game

gblowfish
09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
This is before the Jimmy Raye story broke:

Chiefs dominate 49ers in all phases, win 31-10

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle September 27, 2010

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Enough with the talk of the 49ers being the most talented team in the NFC West, and how the season-opening blowout in Seattle was an aberration, and how they can go 8-8 and still win such a weak division.

Maybe, just maybe, the winless 49ers really are this bad.

They most certainly are away from Candlestick Park. This time, they got circled by the Chiefs' undefeated bandwagon 31-10 on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium, and the scene was just as ugly as their 31-6 loss to the Seahawks two weeks ago.

The 49ers had no answers for Kansas City during the game. What makes anyone think they could answer for their 0-3 record afterward?

"I never would have imagined it, never would have given it a thought," linebacker Takeo Spikes said. "I truly believe this is a team of destiny, but we are what we are right now."

Right now, the 49ers are nothing more than the last-place team in the NFC West. Head coach Mike Singletary said changes will be made this week. This week wouldn't be easy, anyway: The 49ers play at Atlanta. Last year, the Falcons rolled to a 45-10 victory at Candlestick.

The road has been anything but welcoming for the 49ers. They are 4-11 on the road under Singletary, losers in eight of the past nine away games, with no road victories outside the NFC West since they won in Buffalo on Nov. 30, 2008.

"It is not the start that is important," Singletary said. "Obviously, we want to be better than 0-3 at this point."

Then the 49ers need to play like it, and they can hang their hat on almost beating the Saints for only so long.

Who cares if the 49ers had one of the top run defenses in football last season? That didn't do them any good against the Chiefs, who had Jamaal Charles rush for 97 yards on 12 carries ... when Thomas Jones wasn't running 19 times for 95 yards.

What does it matter that the 49ers had one of the best red-zone offenses in football last season? They didn't get past the Chiefs' 27-yard line until the final, meaningless drive, with Singletary calling a last-second timeout to score in a 31-3 game.

Running back Frank Gore is of no use if the offensive line can't block for more than 43 yards rushing. Tight end Vernon Davis can attract double teams all day, but it helps nothing if no single-covered wide receiver catches more than three passes for 38 yards.

Yes, the 49ers limited their turnovers to a season-low one. All that meant was that they gave the ball back to the Chiefs one punt at a time (eight in all), with five three-and-outs.

"Lack of getting it done in any way," said quarterback Alex Smith, who was 23 of 42 for 232 yards. "We were pretty inept all the way around. I don't think you can point to anything. It's everything."

The 49ers were outcoached by a Chiefs staff that took away their strengths: running the ball, throwing screen passes and finding Davis over the middle.

The 49ers' offense was outmuscled by a Chiefs front that sacked Smith five times while giving Gore no hole to choose.

As for the 49ers' defense, the team's strength got punked by a Chiefs offense that scored one touchdown in its first two games. Kansas City had 457 total yards. The 207 rushing yards were the most against the 49ers since December 2004.

"We pride ourselves every week in stopping the run and we didn't get that done today," inside linebacker Patrick Willis said.

The 49ers never looked as foolish as they did when the Chiefs went into the Wildcat formation with quarterback Matt Cassel lined up wide left. The ball was touched by three Chiefs - Jones on the snap, Dexter McCluster on the end-around and Cassel on the pitch back - before anyone realized Dwayne Bowe was wide open for a 45-yard touchdown catch and a 17-3 lead in the third quarter.

When the Chiefs went up 24-3 with 1:35 left in the third quarter, guess how the 49ers tried to get back in the game? They called one screen pass and three straight runs.

Forget the 49ers proving how good they are. It'll be a chore enough showing they really aren't this bad.

"The season is still early," Singletary said. "We have to make some hard decisions and get back on the right track."

Reerun_KC
09-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Jimmy Raye fired this am?

L.A. Chieffan
09-27-2010, 09:51 AM
This looks like a repost of a Star article about two years ago

DA_T_84
09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
This looks like a repost of a Star article about two years ago

MY EXACT THOUGHTS

beach tribe
09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
What happened Jimmy Raye's dumb ass? How does a guy like JR even get a job?

Frazod
09-27-2010, 10:24 AM
What happened Jimmy Raye's dumb ass? How does a guy like JR even get a job?

How does Greg fucking Robinson continue to get jobs? I wouldn't let him wash my car.

Delano
09-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll have to look at the film. - Mike Singletary.