PDA

View Full Version : KU Denny Thum to KU?

Mr. Laz
09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Pushed Out By Pioli, Thum Candidate For KU AD (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/pushed-out-by-pioli-thum-candidate-for-ku-ad-29041)

Posted by Brooks (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/author/brooks/) on Sep. 27, 2010, 3:44pm

<!-- foobar --> In 36 years, Denny Thum worked for only one organization, the Kansas City Chiefs. In 1974 he graduated from KC-based Rockhurst College and took a job as an accountant with the team. Rising through the franchise ranks, Thum was named Chief Operating Officer in May 2006, interim team president in December 2008 and team president in May 2009.

http://simg.sportsbybrooks.com/f/b/fbaeed0362161a63d6694a21dadf2f4a_dennythum.jpg (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/pushed-out-by-pioli-thum-candidate-for-ku-ad-29041)
(Clockwise from left: Denny Thum, Clark Hunt, Scott Pioli)

Then, two weeks ago, after the clubís biggest win in years in a gleaming, newly-renovated Arrowhead Stadium, Thum abruptly, and quietly, resigned.

Former longtime Chiefs beat writer Rick Gosselin wrote a most appropriate obit of Thumís decorated tenure with the team in the DALLAS MORNING NEWS (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/092510dnspogoosecenter.162e8fe.html):The Kansas City Chiefs dumped club president Denny Thum unceremoniously this month after a 36-year stay with the team. I covered the Chiefs from 1977-89, and Thum taught me the financial side of the NFL. He was the best contract negotiator Iíve ever seen. He also was a loyal employee to Hall of Fame owner Lamar Hunt through good times and bad.
But Thumís problem was he was inherited by a new owner (Clark Hunt), new general manager (Scott Pioli) and new chief operating officer (Mark Donovan). So the new wave ushered him to the door. Thum deserved better treatment.
The Chiefs have no idea right now how much they are going to miss his expertise in so many areas. Thum wonít be out of work long.

The timing of Thumís departure, though strange on the surface, actually makes sense once you dig into the details of the Chiefsí office politics.
Thumís fate was ultimately sealed 19 months ago, when Hunt announced that Pioli would take over for Thum as the teamís player contract negotiator.

Though no longer involved in player payroll, Thum did oversee the $375 million renovation of Arrowhead Stadium, with the culmination of the project the recent Sept. 13 home game against the Chargers - two days before Thum resigned.

Without a role in player contract negotiations, the renovations of Arrowhead realized and the framework of the clubís new training camp digs in St. Joseph, Missouri, in place, Thumís influence in the organization going forward already figured to decline. But there was at least one factor that expedited his ouster.

From the moment he arrived with the Chiefs as GM, Iíve been told that Pioli was determined to obtain complete control over virtually every facet of the organization. He couldnít prevail upon Hunt to give him absolute power last season with his on-field product in the toilet and Thum-led Arrowheard renovations in full swing.

But the moment the stadium redo was done and the Chiefs showed a brief flicker of promise on the field, Hunt forced Thum off the job and handed over all meaningful franchise matters to Pioli.

It didnít help Thum that he was the last significant remnant of the dark ages most Chiefs fans associate with Carl Peterson. But the teamís non-performance on the field over the years had nothing to do with Thum and he played a crucial role in helping the Chiefs keep up appearances with the media, league and players during the final, ugly years of Petersonís tenure.

Apparently that, unwavering loyalty to Huntís father Lamar - and the organization over 36 years - couldnít save Thum in the face of Pioliís power grab.

As Gosselin said, Thum wonít be out of work for long.

Last weekend I was told by two independent sources that Thum is a candidate for the vacant athletic director position at the University of Kansas. After the unmitigated disaster wrought by Lew Perkins, KU would be extremely fortunate to land a seasoned athletic administrator like Thum.

As a KC native and Chiefs fan myself, Iíll be the first to cheer if Pioli can bring a championship team to the city. But if he doesnít, without Thum, Hunt better be prepared to take the shots that Thum was so experienced in standing up to.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/pushed-out-by-pioli-thum-candidate-for-ku-ad-29041

teedubya
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Interesting. But can he suck BCS cock?

Reaper16
09-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Interesting. But can he suck BCS cock?
And Texas cock?

|Zach|
09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Bwahahahahaha

Mojo Jojo
09-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Denny is one of the best persons you can ever meet. I hope he lands on his feet, and KU AD would be nice.
I know he turned down two NFL GM offers to stay with the Chiefs.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm glad to see Pioli wanting to make sure the contracts get signed on HIS TERMS, that's just good business. With that said, Thum is a class guy.

Phobia
09-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't have a solitary negative thing to say about Denny.

shitgoose
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Doesn't anyone have anything negative to say about Denny?

Am I still on Chiefs Planet?

teedubya
09-27-2010, 06:39 PM
I love Denny's. Especially after a drunken evening.

Mr. Laz
09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
i have no idea if Thum would be qualified to be an AD but he seems to be a stand-up and honest guy so KU could do worse.

Al Bundy
09-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I have heard that rumor from inside Arrowhead, personally everyone I have ever known that has worked with or known Denny has said he is a very good guy. IMO KU could do A LOT worse and the guy knows this landscape.

WilliamTheIrish
09-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Fuck Thum. And Gosselin.

ChiefMojo
09-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Thum to KU has picked up a lot of steam. To be honest I think he would make a very good AD and it isn't like KU is hurting coach wise at the two top revenue sports with Bill Self and Turner Gill. It is internal issues on the business side that need to be cleaned up. Perkins was good with getting money, but I think Thum would be perfect in that role also. Also Denny is a class individual and KU needs that right now since Perkins pissed off a lot of the media with his strong arm tactics. KU just needs someone they would be proud of and work well with the KU staff/alums and the outside world.

Frazod
09-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Fuck Thum. And Gosselin. And KU.

FYP

HolyHandgernade
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Perkins was an "unmitigated disaster"? That's a bit overboard.

The only thing I worry about with Thum is that he's basically had one employer the past 30 some years. The biggest obstacle, I believe, for KU and other schools is the threat/opportunity created by conference expansion an the generation of revenue streams, whether through donation collections or media vehicles. That demands a person adept at relationships, whether that means having them, developing them and/or keeping them.

Thum, as an accountant and then contract negotiator, seems more like an internal man, a numbers guy, which has certain advantages. But, does he have the dynamic tools to sell the university? Can he get alumni excited to give more money? Does he have connections to help extend KU's appeal in media markets? Does he have the business savvy to make friends and influence people? He might, because I have never met or watched him in a public arena.

I think he would be an excellent candidate, however. I think if I had my choice, I would go after Ford CEO and KU grad, Mulally. I don't know, however, that he is ready to take a paycut/semi-retirement from that gig to get into the college game. Of course, you never know, sometimes it is nice to come home again. I think he's more of the dynamic leader KU should wish for, but Thum might be that person as well, I just don't know it yet.

Bambi
09-28-2010, 10:20 AM
After the unmitigated disaster wrought by Lew Perkins, KU would be extremely fortunate to land a seasoned athletic administrator like Thum.[/URL]

LOL, Lew Perkins presided over a program that had the most victories (basketball and football combined) in a single season in the history of college athletics.

It's amazing how dominant KU was that year.