PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bill Polian Says 18-Game NFL Season Is A Done Deal

Count Zarth
09-27-2010, 07:56 PM
I hate this. Records are going to be even more meaningless now. More injuries.

On a positive note, more GIF'D UP.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2010/9/27/1716005/18-game-nfl-season-schedule-bill-polian

The Colts (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/indianapolis-colts) Bill Polian says an 18-game NFL schedule is coming.
Per the AP (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5623441&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines):
During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ind/indianapolis-colts) team president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.
That would be 18 regular season games and two preseason game for each team as opposed to the 16/4 split it is now.

The owners want it done because it provides a larger piece of the pie. They've previously said they would want the NFLPA to be on board with the move. The players union has been hesitant to recommend citing injury and compensation concerns.

The move would likely require a change to the NFL's offseason schedule with less required workouts. It would also mean roster sizes would likely expand.

Polian cited concerns over the amount of time personnel evaluators will get to look at their rookies with just two preseason games.

bevischief
09-27-2010, 07:57 PM
To the ship!

BryanBusby
fuck Bill Polian

notorious
Don't fuck with perfection.

:facepalm:

KcMizzou
09-27-2010, 07:58 PM
More football that counts. I'm in.

Thig Lyfe
09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
dumb

Buck
09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
I think that backup QBs will be way more important than ever. Maybe some will even get spot starts during the season.

Mr. Laz
09-27-2010, 08:00 PM
with all due respect to Bill Polian, He needs to just shut the fuck up until after a new CBA is inked.

An 18 game season isn't up to "just" him

LaChapelle
09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Now the coaches will have to break down the season in 3rds
good thing Jimmy Raye got out when he did

Bacon Cheeseburger
Great, while they're at it they should just add ten more teams as well and water the product down even more.

Molitoth
Bye bye to the record books. tis a sad day. =(

tk13
09-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Polian's not a fan of this idea... which is why I think he's leaking it out there early.

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm on the fence here. I'm always up for MORE football, but WTF are teams gonna do when they have the Division and Home Field Advantage sewn up with 5 games to play?

petegz28
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
add the 2 games and let teams dress out 53 on game day

Chiefs Pantalones
09-27-2010, 08:08 PM
If true, I would hope each team gets two bye weeks.

Thig Lyfe
how about two more expansion teams too?!?!?!

Mr. Laz
Polian's not a fan of this idea... which is why I think he's leaking it out there early.
maybe the owners are throwing it out there just so they can "give it up" during the bargaining?

cdirty
09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
i remember someone talking on a radio show about how if they move up to 18 games then they should create farm (triple A) teams for everyone to have. kinda sounds like a good idea.

Thig Lyfe
09-27-2010, 08:09 PM
i remember someone talking on a radio show about how if they move up to 18 games then they should create farm (triple A) teams for everyone to have. kinda sounds like a good idea.

I wonder if the UFL would be interested in serving that role.

BigMeatballDave
09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I wonder if the UFL would be interested in serving that role.I'm thinking Arena League. The NFL already supports them.

Buck
09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
The Raiders might actually win more than 5 games in a season though.

BigRedChief
09-27-2010, 08:12 PM
maybe the owners are throwing it out there just so they can "give it up" during the bargaining?Yeah, give the NFLPA an expanded roster also...say 56-60 players per team and salary cap seems acceptable.

Chiefs Pantalones
I don't know why they're f'ing with a good thing. There's nothing wrong with football. The only thing I wouldn't mind changing is expanding the amount of teams in the playoffs.

tk13
maybe the owners are throwing it out there just so they can "give it up" during the bargaining?

Maybe. That's definitely not what Polian is doing here though. I don't think he's acting on behalf of the other owners. He wants to keep it as it is so he has more time to evaluate players.

Thig Lyfe
09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm thinking Arena League. The NFL already supports them.

Ehhh the games are too different for the AFL to be a true farm league. It's not like they add a base in minor league baseball.

Count Zarth
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
The only thing I wouldn't mind changing is expanding the amount of teams in the playoffs.

http://www.studyofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/carl_d_peterson.jpeg

notorious
09-27-2010, 08:15 PM
If true, I would hope each team gets two bye weeks.

That's a positive.

20 weeks vs. 17 weeks of football for the viewer.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-27-2010, 08:16 PM
http://www.studyofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/carl_d_peterson.jpeg

lol that's the only thing. Other than that, keep it all the same.

Hug it Out Dan
This is dumb.

It's perfect the way it is. The amount of teams, scheduling etc.

Cave Johnson
God dammit...

Hug it Out Dan
09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
how about two more expansion teams too?!?!?!

i hear LA is wanting a team to fail there.

HMc
09-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I hate this. Records are going to be even more meaningless now. More injuries.

On a positive note, more GIF'D UP.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2010/9/27/1716005/18-game-nfl-season-schedule-bill-polian

ALl th worry about more injuries if the teams play more than 16 reg season games is a bit misplaced IMO.

The French Top 14 (rugby) play 26 games a season, the Australian NRL (rugby league) play 24. Yeah, people get injured, but so what? You can tear your ACL during the first day of training FFS.

If this means teams focus more on having quality backups then is that really a bad thing?

-King-
09-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Damn. This would really be stupid.

ChiefsCountry
09-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Why would it be stupid? They already play 20 fucking games. Take out 2 worthless preseason games and add 2 more real ones. Geez they used to just play 14 games before they went to 16.

thurman merman
09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Why would it be stupid? They already play 20 ****ing games. Take out 2 worthless preseason games and add 2 more real ones. Geez they used to just play 14 games before they went to 16.

I know. What are all these sallies complaining about? Oh no! More football! What will we ever do?!

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Well shit, let's just play a 100 game season! The more the better!

Brock
09-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Dumb.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-27-2010, 08:53 PM
"We care about concussions"

"Run those fucking bastards out there for another 2 full games."

-King-
09-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Why would it be stupid? They already play 20 fucking games. Take out 2 worthless preseason games and add 2 more real ones. Geez they used to just play 14 games before they went to 16.

I know. What are all these sallies complaining about? Oh no! More football! What will we ever do?!

Answer
"We care about concussions"

"Run those fucking bastards out there for another 2 full games."

thurman merman
09-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Answer

So just watch golf or something if you can't handle the possibility of injury.

KChiefs1
09-27-2010, 09:44 PM
18 game season with 2 bye weeks & having the season start on the weekend after Labor Day makes for the Super Bowl around the the last week of February.

BigChiefFan
09-27-2010, 10:08 PM
The preseason games are a waste of money to season ticket holders, so I'm glad to see this change.

tk13
09-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I can't believe we made it this far into the thread without a joke about how this will affect Charles workload. We're making progress.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if this does affect the RB position. That's one area where I do thing longer seasons could make a difference. For instance, at Chris Johnson's current pace... in an 18 game season he'll have 504 total touches, 450 carries at his current pace. And that's before the playoffs. You're going to wear guys out quick.

-King-
09-27-2010, 10:20 PM
So just watch golf or something if you can't handle the possibility of injury.

I don't want dumb ass watered down football because of injuries. 2 more games can take a big toll on these players. I don't week 18 and 19 to be a big shitfest. And then comes the post season. Fuck that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
No complaints here. Play ball!

Phobia
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
The '72 Dolphins are huge fans of this idea.

boogblaster
09-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Yep .. play ball ....

veist
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
The basic premise I've always heard for why we need an 18 game season from the NFL makes no sense, how is adding more games going to make for more meaningful football? More regular season games just means each individual games is less important. Plus two more games is going to take its toll in injuries as has been repeated multiple times by multiple posters. I just don't see how it does anything but lead to a more watered down product.

RippedmyFlesh
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Nope. The starters don't play much in preseason it's for the last few roster spots that those games are played.
So you are adding 2 games not switching 2 games.
The issue is that luck(lack of injury to key players) will be too much a factor.
If indy has their playoff spot wrapped up after 14 games then the last 4 regular season games turn into preseason games. They didn't go for 16-0 you think they are going to play regulars with their spot locked up? It will be worse than the 16-0 scenario.
Right now the chiefs have 2 good backs which would be a huge advantage in an 18 games season. It changes the running back situation the most.You will have to have 2 backs. So either it is less carries per game to conserve your #1 back or give him a game or 2 off at the end of the year. Either way decreases quality of the product.

Old Dog
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm torn on this issue. As a season ticket holder, hell yes, it means one less preseason game to pay for. As a fan, notsomuch as it leaves each game meaning less and raises the probability that teams sit starters at the end of the season after clinching a playoff berth.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure I'm buying this notion that this will mean some teams will have their playoff spots locked up with 4-5 games to go. Keep in mind the additional games will also provide an opportunity for the teams that are chasing to catch up to the division leaders.

Frazod
09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
The preseason games are a waste of money to season ticket holders, so I'm glad to see this change.

I guess the cheap cocksuckers would rather add two real games than charge fans the half-price admission they should for preseason games. Sounds like everybody wins but the players, but at least they're getting paid.

RippedmyFlesh
09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm torn on this issue. As a season ticket holder, hell yes, it means one less preseason game to pay for. As a fan, notsomuch as it leaves each game meaning less and raises the probability that teams sit starters at the end of the season after clinching a playoff berth.
Having to pay full shot or close for preseason is the strongest argument for it.
I am not a season ticket holder so I just look at it from a football standpoint not $$$. If I were paying like you I would be screaming for 18 if I have to pay anyways for the games.

Sure-Oz
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
I hate this idea of 18 games, 16 is PERFECT

RippedmyFlesh
09-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I wonder how that would affect contracts that go beyond the starting point of 18 games. Is it divide the # by 18 (screwing the player) or he has 2 more game checks at the same rate per game.

Bacon Cheeseburger
09-28-2010, 12:07 AM
I wonder how that would affect contracts that go beyond the starting point of 18 games. Is it divide the # by 18 (screwing the player) or he has 2 more game checks at the same rate per game.
I can't see the NFLPA signing off on this without a commensurate increase in salaries, which I would imagine would require pretty much every contract to be restructured. If there's a monkey wrench that can be thrown in this idea, that's probably it.

Which makes me wonder if the owners can foist this onto the players without the support of the union, the article is kind of unclear about that.

BryanBusby
09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
notsomuch as it leaves each game meaning less and raises the probability that teams sit starters at the end of the season after clinching a playoff berth.
There's less probability of this happening compared to 32 teams quickly sitting their starters at the end of a meaningless August game that is guaranteed to be meaningless.

I'm okay with the season being expanded to 18 games, but I'd like to see both extra games result in more AFC-NFC matchups that are completely random.

With one team recently reaching 16-0 and another that should of been 16-0, time to set the bar higher.

GoHuge
09-28-2010, 12:24 AM
We'll go 18 games and then next it will turn into NASCAR with constant talk of expanding the Chase the first time the Colts and Pats miss the playoffs. Just leave it alone......fine the way it is. If you want to do anything than cut the last preseason game. THat is worthless for the average fan and especially season ticket holders. Do we really need that game to figure out who are going to be the 50-53 guys on a roster? I think they could figure it out by removing that shitty game off the schedule.

RippedmyFlesh
09-28-2010, 01:31 AM
I can't see the NFLPA signing off on this without a commensurate increase in salaries, which I would imagine would require pretty much every contract to be restructured. If there's a monkey wrench that can be thrown in this idea, that's probably it.

Which makes me wonder if the owners can foist this onto the players without the support of the union, the article is kind of unclear about that.
No matter how they do it it's more money per year for the players so I think that sells the players on it.
Today I would love to see 2 more games but after the rain game with the jets in 2007 would we really have wanted 2 more games? 18 games with herm would have been brutal.

Pawnmower
09-28-2010, 02:26 AM
The season used to be 14 games. I like 16 better than 14.

You would think I logically would be in favor of 18 over 16...But I simply love the way it is now.....

Maybe that will change, but something in me feels this is a mistake. 16 games seems perfect.

Marcellus
09-28-2010, 06:19 AM
I hope we miss the playoffs. If not we may have to play in 3 more meaningful games and someone could get hurt.

the Talking Can
09-28-2010, 06:26 AM
i think you're going to have some wrecked squads going into the playoffs

wonder how this will effect free agency years...

the game seems to me already to be at an edge, in terms of what the human body can endure...I think it is entirely possible that players could engineer themselves into such size and speed that it makes it almost impossible to play the game without incurring injury...and i don't mean hamstrings and sprained ankles

oh well, i'll still watch

Amnorix
09-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Seems like a REALLY bad idea, to be honest.

HMc
09-28-2010, 06:38 AM
i think you're going to have some wrecked squads going into the playoffs

wonder how this will effect free agency years...

the game seems to me already to be at an edge, in terms of what the human body can endure...I think it is entirely possible that players could engineer themselves into such size and speed that it makes it almost impossible to play the game without incurring injury...and i don't mean hamstrings and sprained ankles

oh well, i'll still watch

I've already posted two examples of similar leagues around the worl where they play 20+ game regular seasons.

Professional rugby league players here play 24 reg season games, upto 4 playoffs, plus 5 representative games if they're good enough.

Yes, some get injured but some make it through the season unscathed. You aren't going to see teams calling guys from the street because their squads are all paraplegics after 2 preseason games are turned into reg season games.

HMc
09-28-2010, 06:41 AM
assuming players play at least a quarter of all preseason games at the moment, you're talking about adding 6 quarters of football to a player's year. And if they give each team a 2nd bye week, you might actually see injuries DECREASE

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2010, 06:43 AM
This 18 game schedule issue will be nixed once big names go down right and left, especially if those players are star QBs

the Talking Can
09-28-2010, 06:43 AM
I've already posted two examples of similar leagues around the worl where they play 20+ game regular seasons.

Professional rugby league players here play 24 reg season games, upto 4 playoffs, plus 5 representative games if they're good enough.

Yes, some get injured but some make it through the season unscathed. You aren't going to see teams calling guys from the street because their squads are all paraplegics after 2 preseason games are turned into reg season games.

i don't give a shit about rugby leagues

suds79
09-28-2010, 06:47 AM
Are they increasing roster sizes? Didn't know if anybody's heard.

HMc
09-28-2010, 06:47 AM
if a QB faces a materially higher chance of injury because he is playing 0.125 more games, his conditioning was shit to begin with and you need to kick his ass for not training properly or fire your conditioning people.

Obviously, adding games to the schedule increases the chance of injury during the season. But to suggest that 16 games is the magic number and that anything higher sees the injury per game curve shoot up exponentially is just freakin daft.

HMc
09-28-2010, 06:49 AM
i don't give a shit about rugby leagues

they are unlikely harder than NFL types. The players will be just fine.

It's war out there and all that remember. Well the war just got a little longer, but unless they're a bunch of softcocks I think they'll handle it.

the Talking Can
09-28-2010, 06:52 AM
they are unlikely harder than NFL types. The players will be just fine.

It's war out there and all that remember. Well the war just got a little longer, but unless they're a bunch of softcocks I think they'll handle it.

rugby has jack shit to do with the NFL

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2010, 06:52 AM
if a QB faces a materially higher chance of injury because he is playing 0.125 more games, his conditioning was shit to begin with and you need to kick his ass for not training properly or fire your conditioning people.

Concussions, snapped legs,, dislocated shoulders, or a torn rotator cuff are impossible to train to prevent for a QB. If players in general have to take even more punishment to compete we will see shortened careers.

Point is why risk it?

dirk digler
09-28-2010, 07:00 AM
I absolutely hate this idea. Why fuck with a perfect thing?

But if they are going to do it they need to expand the game day rosters to 55 with no inactives.

notorious
09-28-2010, 07:01 AM
I figured it wouldn't take long for Rugby guy to give his take.

I enjoy watching rugby, too, but don't try to put it in the same league of physical distress as the NFL (you know, 300 pound guys running 4.8's with ungodly upper body strength).

It is about the closest thing to the NFL, but still worlds apart.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Concussions, snapped legs,, dislocated shoulders, or a torn rotator cuff are impossible to train to prevent for a QB. If players in general have to take even more punishment to compete we will see shortened careers.

Point is why risk it?

You just listed a bunch of injuries that aren't cumulative in nature. There's no higher risk of a snapped leg in game 17 than there is in game 1.

The answer to your second question - why risk it at all? Sport is dangerous, we should just close the NFL down right now.

Real answer, the reason is the same they play 16 rather than 14 or 16 rather than 6. Because they think there's demand for more of it and they can therefore make more money.

As for shortened careers - there's no reason players will play any less games. In fact with an additional bye week they may have less injuries, not more.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:04 AM
I figured it wouldn't take long for Rugby guy to give his take.

I enjoy watching rugby, too, but don't try to put it in the same league of physical distress as the NFL (you know, 300 pound guys running 4.8's with ungodly upper body strength).

It is about the closest thing to the NFL, but still worlds apart.

And they play for how many minutes per game, on average? I mean, actually playing?

I'm prepared to believe a running back getting 20+ carries in a game is suffering my physical distress than a rugby forward does in a game. The rest of them don't play enough.

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2010, 07:14 AM
You just listed a bunch of injuries that aren't cumulative in nature. There's no higher risk of a snapped leg in game 17 than there is in game 1.

Concussions? Dude you don't want an additive amount damage there. it ruins careers long term.

Reerun_KC
09-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Hum, I am torn between it..

The preseason is a waste and just unwatchable 99% of the time.

But the 18 week schedule would be cool and generate more interest... but again do I want to watch 3-4 weeks of crap football when someone already has the division locked up?

Brainiac
09-28-2010, 07:20 AM

Would you quit talking about rugby already? Nobody gives a flying fukc about rugby. Rugby is a rough sport, but the speed and the collisions in rugby are NOTHING compared to the speed and collisions in the NFL.

This is a horrible idea. When you've got a product that is perfect, you don't fukc it up by making major changes to it. This is about as good an idea as expanding the NCAA basketball tournament to 128 teams. That was a stupid idea, and this is a stupid idea.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Concussions? Dude you don't want an additive amount damage there. it ruins careers long term.

So what is it that makes 16 the magic number? Should it be decreased to 14?

You can say 16 is "just right" but you've absolutely no evidence to back up the claim that it's materially better from an injury perspective.

Remember that the safest option would be zero games.

Brainiac
09-28-2010, 07:24 AM
assuming players play at least a quarter of all preseason games at the moment, you're talking about adding 6 quarters of football to a player's year. And if they give each team a 2nd bye week, you might actually see injuries DECREASE
I'm not opposed to this idea because of the injury factor. I'm opposed to this idea because it WILL result in a watered-down product where some regular season games become meaningless, either because a team has more time to make up for early season losses, or because teams like the Colts clinch early and then mail it in for the last month.

Stupid, stupid idea.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Would you quit talking about rugby already? Nobody gives a flying fukc about rugby. Rugby is a rough sport, but the speed and the collisions in rugby are NOTHING compared to the speed and collisions in the NFL.

Bullshit. At the highest level the forces experienced would be comparable.

I doubt you've seen enough of it to have a clue anyway. I on the other hand have seen plenty of both.

I'm just saying there isn't actually evidence that supports the assertion that players will start dropping all over the place due to 2 more reg season games, and that there is in fact evidence to suggest it won't happen.

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2010, 07:27 AM
So what is it that makes 16 the magic number? Should it be decreased to 14?

Hell ,way back their was an uproar because of the rules were geared to a more ferocious style of play( hence all the QB, and WR protection rules). the 16 game schedule that was approved was mainly due to the league's expansion.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm not opposed to this idea because of the injury factor. I'm opposed to this idea because it WILL result in a watered-down product where some regular season games become meaningless, either because a team has more time to make up for early season losses, or because teams like the Colts clinch early and then mail it in for the last month.

Stupid, stupid idea.

Potential problem, yeah.

You could probably design a schedule and or small rule changes (seeding etc) that mitigated some of those problems.

Brainiac
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM

I doubt you've seen enough of it to have a clue anyway. I on the other hand have seen plenty of both.

I'm just saying there isn't actually evidence that supports the assertion that players will start dropping all over the place due to 2 more reg season games, and that there is in fact evidence to suggest it won't happen.
I've seen enough rugby to know that comparing to rugby to the NFL is about as valid as comparing futbol to football.

If you think your rugby arguments are going to convince ANYBODY, you're wrong.

dirk digler
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM

It is common sense. If you have players go all out for 2 extra games there is going to be more injuries.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:34 AM
It is common sense. If you have players go all out for 2 extra games there is going to be more injuries.

If they played 14, there'd be less again.

Again, what makes 16 the perfect number from an injury perspective?

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I've seen enough rugby to know that comparing to rugby to the NFL is about as valid as comparing futbol to football.

If you think your rugby arguments are going to convince ANYBODY, you're wrong.

The speed would be fairly similar. There are plenty of international rugby players that could run sub 11s 100m at 220 pounds.

And unlike those in the NFL, they don't go run their 40 in spikes and shorts then throw on 50 pounds of protective gear on.

I wonder how fast your 300 pound 4.8 guy is on the actual field, after he's put all that gear on.

ChiefsCountry
CFL has a eighteen game season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brainiac
As somebody else already stated in this thread, the real problem is the NFL charging full price for 4 exhibition games. When you consider the increasing number of blackouts, it's starting to look like the NFL has finally reached the point where it's charging more than the market will bear for its product.

The real answer may be to cut ticket prices, salaries, and profits. But obviously that's not going to happen.

dirk digler
09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
If they played 14, there'd be less again.

Again, what makes 16 the perfect number from an injury perspective?

From an injury perspective there is no perfect number except 0.

But if you expand to 18 games there is going to be more injuries and then the product will lessen because of it.

Brainiac
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
The speed would be fairly similar. There are plenty of international rugby players that could run sub 11s 100m at 220 pounds.

And unlike those in the NFL, they don't go run their 40 in spikes and shorts then throw on 50 pounds of protective gear on.

I wonder how fast your 300 pound 4.8 guy is on the actual field, after he's put all that gear on.
The 50 lbs of protective gear is part of what makes the game so dangerous. NFL players think they're invincible out there and they throw their bodies around with very little regard to their own safety or anybody else's safety. They wouldn't do that if they weren't wearing so many pads.

This is obviously taking it to a ridiculous level in order to make a point, but if the players didn't wear helmets, you wouldn't need rules banning head-to-head contact because the guys rushing the passer wouldn't be leading with their heads.

dtebbe
09-28-2010, 07:45 AM
As a long-time season ticket holder I like the 18 game regular season. Now I only have to eat 1 worthless preseason game. :cuss:

I've got an idea.. The Chiefs should have the home preseason game in Oklahoma City so all those folks can see some NFL football live :D

DT

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:48 AM
They wouldn't do that if they weren't wearing so many pads.

With the exception of leading with the head (mitigated by the presence of a helmet), I don't think that NFL players abandon their own personal safety any more than the players of various other contact sports do.

Frazod
09-28-2010, 07:49 AM
As a long-time season ticket holder I like the 18 game regular season. Now I only have to eat 1 worthless preseason game. :cuss:

I've got an idea.. The Chiefs should have the home preseason game in Oklahoma City so all those folks can see some NFL football live :D

DT

I just got a smudge on my screen trying to kill your avatar.....

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
From an injury perspective there is no perfect number except 0.

But if you expand to 18 games there is going to be more injuries and then the product will lessen because of it.

You've come up with a measurement for "product quality"

tell us, at what number of games per season does the "product quality" peak?

dirk digler
09-28-2010, 07:52 AM
You've come up with a measurement for "product quality"

tell us, at what number of games per season does the "product quality" peak?

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:54 AM
if it was approx 6 games, bye, 6 games, bye, 6 games, you may actually have less injuries than under the current system.

HMc
09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
CFL has a eighteen game season.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bet the squads aren't statistically any more decimated by injury at the end of 18 than NFL teams are at the end of 16.

unlurking-bb
09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
As somebody else already stated in this thread, the real problem is the NFL charging full price for 4 exhibition games. When you consider the increasing number of blackouts, it's starting to look like the NFL has finally reached the point where it's charging more than the market will bear for its product.

The real answer may be to cut ticket prices, salaries, and profits. But obviously that's not going to happen.
This.

Cut preseason ticket prices in half and call it good.

dirk digler
09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
if it was approx 6 games, bye, 6 games, bye, 6 games, you may actually have less injuries than under the current system.

Have they even said there was going to be an extra bye? I hadn't heard that.

From the commish himself

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a0299a/article/goodell-owners-support-18game-season-players-concerned

Goodell pointed out that the league already has the right to impose an 18-game schedule -- and keep four preseason games for each team -- under the current labor agreement with the players. But that contract expires after this season, and it's clear the expanded schedule will be a central issue in talks on a new collective bargaining agreement.

The owners would like to keep the season at 20 weeks, reducing the number of preseason games from four to two.

Chiefnj2
09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
If they move it to 18, which I don't like, they should revamp the playoff system. The top 6 teams from each conference make it in, not division winners. With 18 games, you could have a sub .500 NFC West team make the playoffs.

HMc
09-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Have they even said there was going to be an extra bye? I hadn't heard that.

From the commish himself

Dunno.

They could kill the preseason alltogether, have 18 games and 2 byes.

dirk digler
09-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Dunno.

They could kill the preseason alltogether, have 18 games and 2 byes.

There is 0% chance that happens. They need the pre-season games to evaluate young players.

HMc
09-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Put them out there when it counts. It will be the same for every team.

Marcellus
09-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Anybody that thinks adding 2 more games and 1 more bye week to the schedule is going to just trash the players and quality of the play on the field is absolutely freaking nuts.

So every 8 years they play the equivalent of 1 more season.

Do teams that are in the playoffs year after year after year have higher injury rates? No they don't. Indy has played in 18 games for about 6 of the last 8 years if not longer.

Pittsburgh, NE, the Eagles etc....18 + games a season on average.

The argument is dumb. Yes there will be more injuries overall but at the same % they are occurring now. So maybe 2 or 3 more guys a season miss the end of the season.

Hyperbole. Plain and simple.

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Anybody that thinks adding 2 more games and 1 more bye week to the schedule is going to just trash the players and quality of the play on the field is absolutely freaking nuts.

So every 8 years they play the equivalent of 1 more season.

Do teams that are in the playoffs year after year after year have higher injury rates? No they don't. Indy has played in 18 games for about 6 of the last 8 years if not longer.

Pittsburgh, NE, the Eagles etc....18 + games a season on average.

The argument is dumb. Yes there will be more injuries overall but at the same % they are occurring now. So maybe 2 or 3 more guys a season miss the end of the season.

Hyperbole. Plain and simple.

Ray Lewis Not a Fan of Proposed 18-Game NFL Schedule (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/25/ray-lewis-not-a-fan-of-proposed-18-game-nfl-schedule/)

National Football League owners gathered Wednesday in Atlanta, in part, to give their stamp of approval to an 18-game regular season schedule, starting next season. Ray Lewis thinks it's a bad idea.

Lewis, the Baltimore Ravens linebacker, thinks the current 16-game schedule is sufficient, even if the addition of two regular season games would mean more money for all parties concerned.

"Sixteen games are enough,'' Lewis said. "I mean, you're talking to someone who has been in this business for 15 years. We're not automobiles. We're not machines. We're humans."

The idea of an 18-game regular season, to be preceded by a two-game exhibition season, has been floated for years, but has picked up steam recently. While owners have generally expressed approval for the change, players, like Lewis, a seeming lock for enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, have largely been opposed, citing concern that a longer schedule will lead to more injuries.

"Eighteen games, you got to ask yourself, how many people are truly healthy for 18 games, so will you get your true football, will you get your real football?" said Lewis from the Ravens compound in Owings Mills, Md. "Yeah, you're going to get the real football for whoever's protected, but I think it's a lot of football and I think if fans understood what we actually go through to play in December and January, I think a lot more people would fight with us that, I don't think it's knowledgeable to make us play 18 games. It's rough."

Play Fantasy FootballA schedule change requires the approval of the National Football League Players Association as a part of collective bargaining. The owners and players have been meeting in preliminary bargaining sessions designed to head off a work stoppage that would halt or delay the 2011 season. An 18-game regular season will certainly be a part of any negotiations.

"I don't really think it's about me, per se, realistically about that decision, because you're talking about hopefully we get some type of deal in place before you miss all of camps and all of those things," Lewis said. "So, honestly I hate to say this, but that helps players, really sitting down and getting away from it."

Marcellus
09-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Ray Lewis Not a Fan of Proposed 18-Game NFL Schedule (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/25/ray-lewis-not-a-fan-of-proposed-18-game-nfl-schedule/)

National Football League owners gathered Wednesday in Atlanta, in part, to give their stamp of approval to an 18-game regular season schedule, starting next season. Ray Lewis thinks it's a bad idea.

Lewis, the Baltimore Ravens linebacker, thinks the current 16-game schedule is sufficient, even if the addition of two regular season games would mean more money for all parties concerned.

"Sixteen games are enough,'' Lewis said. "I mean, you're talking to someone who has been in this business for 15 years. We're not automobiles. We're not machines. We're humans."

The idea of an 18-game regular season, to be preceded by a two-game exhibition season, has been floated for years, but has picked up steam recently. While owners have generally expressed approval for the change, players, like Lewis, a seeming lock for enshrinement in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, have largely been opposed, citing concern that a longer schedule will lead to more injuries.

"Eighteen games, you got to ask yourself, how many people are truly healthy for 18 games, so will you get your true football, will you get your real football?" said Lewis from the Ravens compound in Owings Mills, Md. "Yeah, you're going to get the real football for whoever's protected, but I think it's a lot of football and I think if fans understood what we actually go through to play in December and January, I think a lot more people would fight with us that, I don't think it's knowledgeable to make us play 18 games. It's rough."

Play Fantasy FootballA schedule change requires the approval of the National Football League Players Association as a part of collective bargaining. The owners and players have been meeting in preliminary bargaining sessions designed to head off a work stoppage that would halt or delay the 2011 season. An 18-game regular season will certainly be a part of any negotiations.

"I don't really think it's about me, per se, realistically about that decision, because you're talking about hopefully we get some type of deal in place before you miss all of camps and all of those things," Lewis said. "So, honestly I hate to say this, but that helps players, really sitting down and getting away from it."

This article in no way refutes my point.

And why would you think any player is up for this? They are already rich and don't stand to make substantially more $. The owners as a small group stand to make more $ per person. Big $ incentive. Dumb argument.

Tribal Warfare
09-28-2010, 07:22 PM
And why would you think any player is up for this? They are already rich and don't stand to make substantially more $. The owners as a small group stand to make more $ per person. Big $ incentive. Dumb argument.

ROFL

This from the horses mouth these cats have to deal with the after affects of their careers Mort went over this about the medical issues that they'll deal with like Mike Webster's case.

Mecca
09-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I can't believe we made it this far into the thread without a joke about how this will affect Charles workload. We're making progress.

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if this does affect the RB position. That's one area where I do thing longer seasons could make a difference. For instance, at Chris Johnson's current pace... in an 18 game season he'll have 504 total touches, 450 carries at his current pace. And that's before the playoffs. You're going to wear guys out quick.

The 2 or maybe even 3 RB backfield will become even more important than it is now.

munkey
09-28-2010, 07:34 PM
just nationally televise the preseason games...seriously. By the time it rolls around people WILL watch it...

Coach
09-28-2010, 07:36 PM
I do wonder if the Players would be open to having the rosters expanded. 53 on the roster, only 45 active, if I am not mistaken, won't work well in a 18 game schedule.

If so, what would be the acceptable 'number' of players being active? 62 with 54 being active? 70 with 62?

Frosty
09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I do wonder if the Players would be open to having the rosters expanded. 53 on the roster, only 45 active, if I am not mistaken, won't work well in a 18 game schedule.

If so, what would be the acceptable 'number' of players being active? 62 with 54 being active? 70 with 62?

They need to lose the stupid "inactive" rule. Expand the roster to 60, lose the practice squad and let anyone play.

I wonder how much higher DirecTV will jack up the price of Sunday Ticket if this goes through? :grr:

Rausch
09-29-2010, 10:14 AM
I love it...

beach tribe
09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
I really don't want this to happen.

Brock
09-29-2010, 10:33 AM
I really don't want this to happen.

Me either, the season's long enough, the Super Bowl doesn't need to be pushed back any farther than it already has been.

cardken
09-29-2010, 11:20 AM
not in favor of this, skews records, injuries, the 16 game season is perfect. It's just a cash grab for the owners.

Lzen
09-29-2010, 11:33 AM
If they move it to 18, which I don't like, they should revamp the playoff system. The top 6 teams from each conference make it in, not division winners. With 18 games, you could have a sub .500 NFC West team make the playoffs.

I like this idea.

MOhillbilly
09-29-2010, 11:38 AM
strike.

J Diddy
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Me either, the season's long enough, the Super Bowl doesn't need to be pushed back any farther than it already has been.

I doubt it gets pushed back I think the regular season just starts around the time frame where the 3rd preseason game was

Brock
09-29-2010, 02:15 PM
I doubt it gets pushed back I think the regular season just starts around the time frame where the 3rd preseason game was

I dunno. Seems like the league has a propensity for pushing it back over the years.

Demonpenz
09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
I am all for expanding the NCAA tourny and the nfl schedule. there needs to be more shit going on.

tk13
10-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Peter King was on NBC. He said the owners have proposed to the players the idea of an 18 game schedule, while expanding the active roster from 53 players to 54, and adding 2 practice squad players. Players don't seem too thrilled about that, want a better health insurance plan if they're going to add games.