PDA

View Full Version : Football Shift in dominance?

luv
09-27-2010, 10:52 PM
There have been some funky upsets this year. Do you think it's a beginning of shift in dominance?

Shogun
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Bears 3-0 .. Check
Chiefs 3-0 .. Check
Steelers with a 4th string QB 3-0 .. Check

Yep. We have a shitstorm

boogblaster
09-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Who knows .. maybe karma has spoken ....

Deberg_1990
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
No. flukey things happen every year. There are always teams going from first to worst or vice versa. Its not uncommon anymore. Thats how the NFL is designed to work.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
The Steelers have the best defense in the NFL, bar none.

They certainly look like a championship team.

The other undefeateds?

Not so much.

tk13
09-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't know if I'd say a shift in dominance. But these things go in waves... you'll have seasons like last year where there are 2-3 truly dominant teams (Colts/Saints/Vikings) clearly running over the league.

But just go back only two years ago... seems forever ago now. But the Titans had the best record in the league at 13-3, nobody else had more than 12 wins, just a lot more balance and not one dominant team. Lots of teams running the football and playing defense. Maybe this year will be more like that, still too early to tell though.

RustShack
09-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Do the three undefeated teams have three of the best D's in the NFL this year?(so far at least)

Its going back to a defensive league!!! Thats why we didn't get a QB capable of carrying the team to victory!!! Pioli is the smart!

cdcox
09-27-2010, 11:09 PM
In the NFC, I like NO, Philly and GB.

In the AFC, I like the Colts and Steelers. I like Houston and the Jets as dark horses.

I don't see this as a huge shift in the dominant teams.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Bears 3-0 .. Check
Chiefs 3-0 .. Check
Steelers with a 4th string QB 3-0 .. Check

Yep. We have a shitstorm

Speaking of which, thoughts on Batch?

Shogun
09-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Batch looked great, not much else. He could've easily gotten that one TD pass picked off, but I thought he looked fresh and ready.

Short Leash Hootie
09-27-2010, 11:31 PM

he's a backup caliber QB that plays on a great team and had the support of a rabid home crowd...

dude threw one ball up for grabs...and underthrew Wallace a second time...and they both resulted in TDs...gave was over in two quarters...

so really...

who knows

but this team is going to win 14 games...they are going to be unstoppable once Roethlisberger returns.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Batch has been a solid #2 for years. He's almost 36 years old so he probably doesn't have much playing time left but I'd assume he'll move into some sort of front office job with the Steelers because they're his hometown team.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
but this team is going to win 14 games

Barring injury, they'll win at least 14. They're a scary team right now.

tk13
09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
he's a backup caliber QB that plays on a great team and had the support of a rabid home crowd...

dude threw one ball up for grabs...and underthrew Wallace a second time...and they both resulted in TDs...gave was over in two quarters...

so really...

who knows

but this team is going to win 14 games...they are going to be unstoppable once Roethlisberger returns.

They're good... I still want to see how they match up with the Ravens and Bengals though. Although Palmer's seriously struggling right now. Polamalu has definitely made a huge difference though.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:36 PM
They're good... I still want to see how they match up with the Ravens and Bengals though. Although Palmer's seriously struggling right now.

They have way too much defense for the Bengals and Ravens and their offense with Ben will return to dominance.

I'd be shocked if they don't sweep the division.

They're that good.

Short Leash Hootie
09-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Carson Palmer is hardly even living off his name anymore...

everyone is starting to figure out how overrated/not good he is...

he's NOT good...

he has a big arm
he has NO pocket presence
he has NO feel

dude is done...he'll never be a good starting QB...we wouldn't win anymore football games this year with Palmer as our QB opposed to Cassel...

that's how NOT good Palmer is...

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Carson Palmer is hardly even living off his name anymore...

He is not the same guy these days and has been playing scared since his injury. I think the only chance of him returning to pre-injury form is a change of scenery. And even that may not do it.

The guy has completely lost his confidence.

Short Leash Hootie
and I'm still standing by my prediction that the Ravens and Jets really aren't that good...

The Jets are turning it around...but that defense got torn apart by Chad Henne...even though Sanchez has looked like a real QB as of late...so who knows...

and Flacco had a good week...

but seriously...I think these two teams are 10 win teams, tops...and I predict 8-8 for both.

I think the AFC ends up like this:

1. Indy
2. Pitt
3. New England
4. KC =)
5. Houston
6. Tennessee

NFC

1. Green Bay
2. New Orleans
3. Philadelphia
4. Seattle (JFC on this one)
5. Dallas
6. Chicago (or Minnesota)

GEAUX SAINTS
Some what with teams like Arizona, Minnesota, Carolina, San Diego not doing so hot while teams like KC, Miami, Jets, Houston on the rise.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:44 PM
The Jets are turning it around

The Jets are the best team in the AFC East.

Just think about it: They're a young team in their second year. A young team that was one half from playing in the Super Bowl just nine months ago.

Barring injury, they should be back in the AFC Championship against the Steelers.

Shogun
09-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Some what with teams like Arizona, Minnesota, Carolina, San Diego not doing so hot while teams like KC, Miami, Jets, Houston on the rise.

Heart, Miles, and Miles or heart.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Some what with teams like Arizona

Arizona is 2-1.

Short Leash Hootie
09-27-2010, 11:47 PM
The Jets are the best team in the AFC East.

Just think about it: They're a young team in their second year. A young team that was one half from playing in the Super Bowl just nine months ago.

Barring injury, they should be back in the AFC Championship against the Steelers.

Ok I totally disagree and think this is a joke.

The Jets were beneficiaries of the biggest joke in the world last year...the Colts/Bengals literally giving them 2 free wins and a playoff spot.

NOT DESERVED

and then they beat a shitty ass Bengals team...a game where Palmer played horribly and the Bengals were just so bad I even predicted the Jets were going to win and I thought the Jets were awful...

The San Diego game was a surprise...but lets be honest...San Diego beat themselves...

Either way...the Jets going to the AFC Championship game was the biggest fluke I've seen in a long freaking time.

They've played good against New England, no doubt...they played ok against a subpar Dolphins team...but their vaunted defense made Henne look like Peyton Manning...

but if you bet against the Pats in that division right now you're a little dumber than I thought...

In fact...

Me and you...

$50 bucks right now...

I get Pats.

You get Jets.

Bet?

tk13
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
No doubt they're tough. Steelers have a weird schedule though. They have three straight road games coming up at Miami/New Orleans/Cincy. Then they're rewarded and get to come back home to play New England. Then they have a Baltimore/Cincy/Jets stretch in December, followed by a Thursday night game. 5 of their last 10 are scheduled for primetime. If they win 14 with that schedule they will have really accomplished something, I think. I guess we still don't know how tough some of these teams really are.

Short Leash Hootie
09-27-2010, 11:48 PM
The NFC West is laughably bad...

It's a disgrace one of those abortions will steal an NFC playoff spot.

Short Leash Hootie
09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
No doubt they're tough. Steelers have a weird schedule though. They have three straight road games coming up at Miami/New Orleans/Cincy. Then they come back home to play New England. Then they have a Baltimore/Cincy/Jets stretch in December, followed by a Thursday night game. 5 of their last 10 are scheduled for primetime. If they win 14 with that schedule they will have really accomplished something.

Hmmm...

Didn't look at the schedule that in depth...

Great points here, all around.

tk13
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Yeah, but they can probably win all of their home games. No doubt about that. They do get both New England and the Jets there at home. The Steelers are the type of team that probably won't be affected by playing three straight on the road. Although getting stuck with NO in the middle of that is brutal.

cdcox
09-27-2010, 11:52 PM
He is not the same guy these days and has been playing scared since his injury. I think the only chance of him returning to pre-injury form is a change of scenery. And even that may not do it.

The guy has completely lost his confidence.

The best thing that could happen to him is to move to another team and sit on the bench for a year. I really think some time away from being the starter can work wonders for a QB.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Ok I totally disagree and think this is a joke.

The Jets were beneficiaries of the biggest joke in the world last year...the Colts/Bengals literally giving them 2 free wins and a playoff spot.

NOT DESERVED

and then they beat a shitty ass Bengals team...a game where Palmer played horribly and the Bengals were just so bad I even predicted the Jets were going to win and I thought the Jets were awful...

The San Diego game was a surprise...but lets be honest...San Diego beat themselves...

Either way...the Jets going to the AFC Championship game was the biggest fluke I've seen in a long freaking time.

They've played good against New England, no doubt...they played ok against a subpar Dolphins team...but their vaunted defense made Henne look like Peyton Manning...

but if you bet against the Pats in that division right now you're a little dumber than I thought...

In fact...

Me and you...

$50 bucks right now...

I get Pats.

You get Jets.

Bet?

First off, I don't bet on sports. I can't control the outcome so it's a stupid waste of money.

Secondly, after Brian Schottenheimer was told to take the leash off, Sanchez has thrown 6 TD's in two games with no INT's. They don't even have Santonio Holmes back yet, and he'll make HUGE difference.

Furthermore, regardless of the "circumstances", you cannot simply take away wins in the NFL.

The Jets beat those team last year with a rookie QB, a rookie running back, a new offensive and defensive scheme and new starters.

They're beginning to gel and will certainly be one of the top four teams in the AFC this year, barring injury.

DaneMcCloud
09-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah, but they can probably win all of their home games. No doubt about that. They do get both New England and the Jets there at home. The Steelers are the type of team that probably won't be affected by playing three straight on the road. Although getting stuck with NO in the middle of that is brutal.

If the 49ers and Minnesota can shut down New Orleans, the Steelers will hold them to 10 points or less (and probably less, the way their kicker is playing).

DeezNutz
09-27-2010, 11:56 PM
I really think some time away from being the starter can work wonders for a QB.

Now I know why some unnamed player is extra special awesome, and some of these fools saw the extended time away as a negative. Psshh.

cdcox
09-28-2010, 12:00 AM
If the 49ers and Minnesota can shut down New Orleans, the Steelers will hold them to 10 points or less (and probably less, the way their kicker is playing).

Come on, you are way better than that. That kind of logic never holds up over the course of a season. The most important thing about the schedule is not who you play but when you play them. NO is struggling right now, but I wouldn't assume they will stay down the whole season.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Come on, you are way better than that. That kind of logic never holds up over the course of a season. The most important thing about the schedule is not who you play but when you play them. NO is struggling right now, but I wouldn't assume they will stay down the whole season.

Have you watched Pittsburgh? Their defense is unbelievable. I truly believe that Dick LeBeau and that defense are unstoppable this year. All the pieces are in place.

Of course, I could be wrong.

:D

GEAUX SAINTS
09-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Arizona is 2-1.
So is Tampa Bay, doesn't mean much this early on. They've also gotten their wins against St. Louis and Oakland; they got decimated by Atlanta in Week 2.

cdcox
09-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Now I know why some unnamed player is extra special awesome, and some of these fools saw the extended time away as a negative. Psshh.

Good example.

For another, see Plunkett.

Gannon's best years came after years on the bench.

Randall Cunningham's best season came after 2 seasons where he started a total of 7 games.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
So is Tampa Bay, doesn't mean much this early on. They've also gotten their wins against St. Louis and Oakland; they got decimated by Atlanta in Week 2.

The difference being that Arizona has been a 10+ game winner over the past few seasons where Tampa is the youngest team in the league and winner of three last year.

They're in completely different stages at this time.

cdcox
09-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Have you watched Pittsburgh? Their defense is unbelievable. I truly believe that Dick LeBeau and that defense are unstoppable this year. All the pieces are in place.

Of course, I could be wrong.

:D

I'm not dissing the Pittsburgh D. What I'm saying is that the NO offense will get better to where SF and Minnesota won't be able to hold them in check so easily.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-28-2010, 08:54 AM

so really...

who knows

Batch has been a solid #2 for years. He's almost 36 years old so he probably doesn't have much playing time left but I'd assume he'll move into some sort of front office job with the Steelers because they're his hometown team.

So negatory on Batch. Got it.

SenselessChiefsFan
09-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I think it just shows, that other than the Steelers, there aren't any truly dominant teams right now. Every other ball club has glaring weaknesses that can be exploited by the right team.

Take the Colts. The Colts have Peyton Manning. Other than that, the offensive line is average. The running game is below average. The run defense (aside from stopping the woefully bad Broncos) is below average.... and, they just gave up a career day to Kyle Orton.

If the Colts were coming to Arrowhead, I would call that a 50/50 game. As it is, the Chiefs are in Indy, and the Colts 'should' win.

But, with the Chiefs running game, and front seven.... it could be a lot closer than any of us imagined five weeks ago.

milkman
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok I totally disagree and think this is a They've played good against New England, no doubt...they played ok against a subpar Dolphins team...but their vaunted defense made Henne look like Peyton Manning...

Chad Henne has developed nicely over the course of the last 18 games.

Looked pretty sorry in his first start last year, but improved with each game.

He'll never be an elite QB, but has the tools to be a very good game manager, and just seems to have the Jets number.

Mile High Mania
09-28-2010, 09:43 AM
No. flukey things happen every year. There are always teams going from first to worst or vice versa. Its not uncommon anymore. Thats how the NFL is designed to work.

Bingo

OctoberFart
09-28-2010, 12:07 PM
You guys are way overreacting. You could probably do this every single year as there always is one or two surprise teams that start off hot. They usually fade late.

OnTheWarpath58
09-28-2010, 12:22 PM
The Steelers have the best defense in the NFL, bar none.

They certainly look like a championship team.

The other undefeateds?

Not so much.

Yep. The Steelers are going to be downright fucking nasty when Ben comes back.