PDA

View Full Version : Books 10 Chiefs thoughts that I hadn't really seen discussed much.

Direckshun
09-28-2010, 12:45 AM
1. Asamoah is out there every time we run with an imbalanced line. Everybody who's been to the game knows that the PA announces that Asamoah is an eligible receiver when he trots onto the field -- something that I am dying to see! He's wearing Valerio's number, you know...

2. Copper is a fantastic ST player. He is really intense and takes a ton of pride in it, you can tell. But we put him out during offensive downs, and I don't understand why. We've never once targeted him during a play, matter of fact I think he's only in when we need a WR to block on a run play. The defense doesn't respect him and doesn't care. Our runs went no where when he was in.

3. That Wildcat-double-reverse-flea-flicker call by Weis was ingeniously set up by running that same formation two times before. By the third time, the 9ers (as well as myself) thought they had it figured out. Brilliant call.

4. Moeaki blocks, too. Quite well for a receiving tight end, although not with the technical efficiency of Tony G (yet). Kudos to Haley for getting this thoroughbred into workhorse mode. Pope has turned out to be an excellent blocker as well. He's a blocking tight end worth holding on to, because he can (kind of) receive the ball as well.

5. God it's great to see Waters, Wiegmann, Lilja, and Albert pull. This squad fits so much better as a Vermeil-type pulling OL than as the Herm-type downhill blockers (of course, Herm never really acquired the right personnel for that anyway). Waters is back in prime form, by the way. Lilja has been a great acquisition so far as well.

6. That said, I think one of the most underrated acquisitions of the entire team this offseason was Wiegmann. Of our few offseason moves, he has made the most impact -- yes, even more than Shaun Smith. Wiegmann's calls on the line are impeccable, and he has organized and reshaped an offensive line that has been confused by rushing packages for too long. His technician abilities have neutralized the nose tackles we've faced so far. You can probably credit him a bit for making the right side of our line look good again after years of chaos at RG and RT. I was genuinely thinking C should be on our shortlist for 2011's Draft, but at this point Wiegmann's clearly got another year in him thanks to his hard work and Haley's conditioning, and Niswanger's a perfectly fine backup. Spend those high picks elsewhere in 2011, then draft a really smart, battle-tested center high in 2012.

7. I'm continuing to be impressed by how far Arenas has come in such a short timespan as a corner. We have three really good young corners on this team. Arenas fights for the inside route, and contests just as much as Carr does. He has very strong hands, and is just fast enough to keep up with anybody opponents will put in the slots.

8. This remark has been made all over this board, but I have to say it too: I'm loving Belcher. He is a starting-grade thumper in my opinion. I still think we're going to need a couple ILBs this offseason because of all the departures from Corey Mays to possibly Derrick Johnson. But I don't think we need to worry about finding a starter at the thumper position. He also has been the defense's pointman, not Vrabel. You'll notice Crennel telegraphs in his calls to Belcher, who passes the message onto the defense. Love to see that in an ILB.

9. I'm starting to see why this team passed on Terrance Cody three times. I don't think Pioli or Haley have much use for a pure run-clogger on this defense. I think you can cross any nose tackle over 330 off this team's draft boards. They want hard-hat hustlers rather than prototypical space eaters, which you can find deeper in the draft and cheaper in FA. That's why they continue to start Ron Edwards, and brought in Shaun Smith. Don't count on a blue-chip NT coming to KC at any time during Pioli's stay, especially with Haley fitness-nut on board.

10. I take the position that Tyson Jackson deserves his starting spot when he gets back, because I don't care about this season so much as I care about this team's future. He's not going to be as good as Smith now. Defensive line development for a change this dramatic takes time -- it sure did for Dorsey. And Dorsey developed as well as he did to this point because we played him a shit ton of downs in 2008 when he sucked and in 2009 when he showed flashes. Jackson is showing flashes, but needs to get his consistency up. I'm willing to downgrade at DE temporarily to give him that chance -- that's what you do with blue chips anyway.

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 01:08 AM
You can't just subscribe to your own thread? I mean, finding your own thread easily is the reason you gave this a books icon, right? Just subscribe in the future and stop making your threads deceitful.

Saccopoo
09-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Gonzalez sucked at blocking. Technical proficiency my ass. The guy was a fucking matador.

Wiegmann is 37. That's Methuselah in NFL terms. Niswanger can't hold the point of attack for shit. They better draft or pick up a competent future center sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, good post.

Count Alex's Losses
09-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Just play Shaun Smith at NT when Jackson comes back. Problem solved.

BTW, Waters looks like a new man, I agree.

veist
09-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Just play Shaun Smith at NT when Jackson comes back. Problem solved.

BTW, Waters looks like a new man, I agree.

Weren't they playing Smith at NG before Jackson went down anyway?

kysirsoze
09-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Weren't they playing Smith at NG before Jackson went down anyway?

Yep

Shogun
09-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Now, How will going back to NG affect his Nut grabbing ratio is the real question.

SnakeXJones
09-28-2010, 02:42 AM
I am happy to see Wiegmann do a awesome job specially the way he threw Franklin to the ground in the first half

Phobia
09-28-2010, 03:51 AM
I think you missed one important point; should the Chiefs run Charles more?

Direckshun
09-28-2010, 11:24 AM
A few more thoughts:

* Toribio gets manhandled at the LOS. It's clear that he's just getting playing time because we're shallow on the DL right now.

* The Chiefs have a really strong dime package in the secondary: Flowers, Carr, Berry, Lewis, McGraw, Daniels. The Chiefs are playing Daniels over Donald Washington, which sadly probably means Washington's days here are numbered. Daniels isn't that strong of a third corner, once Arenas is back and we get Leggett next year, we may actually have a deep secondary, something that is unheardof in the NFL.

* I rag on McGraw as much as any other guy. He just doesn't have the speed to play centerfield. But he does apparently have some pretty good cover skills on TEs. I wish we could have seen him on Gates more when we played San Diego, because he did a pretty good job on Vernon Davis.

* Chris Chambers is simply not getting it done. This team desperately needs to give Horne a shot, because we have no deep threat. WR and passrusher need to be our highest priorities this coming offseason.

* Alex Magee was inactive today despite the fact that we are missing TJ. Bust.

* As predicted, Andy Studebaker is getting no pressure on the QB. I don't understand the fanbase's obsession with this guy, or ChiefsPlanet's insistence that he's better than Vrabel. Vrabel gets occasional pressure, Studebaker never does. Vrabel is almost always in position, is great at staying home and can recognize plays on the field faster than Andy can. I think Stude's a special teams guy and a situational player at best. My hope was that he could develop into a passrusher, which he's shown in the preseason. But it's back to the same old Andy when the games start to count.

* I love how smart we are now. Peterson was constantly duped in the muddy waters of free agency, trades, and the draft. Vermeil could be outcoached. Herm put so much emphasis on letting the players play that he lost all sight of the coach's chess match. Pioli and Haley (and our coordinators) have turned out to be an incredible combination. We've outsmarted and have been more disciplined than any of the teams we've played so far.

Lzen
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Gonzalez sucked at blocking. Technical proficiency my ass. The guy was a ****ing matador.

:bong:

Unless you mean Tony G. wasn't a good blocker when he was first drafted. He became a great blocker as time went on. If you think he is a matador, you're blind.

Lzen
09-28-2010, 11:39 AM
QB & WR and passrusher need to be our highest priorities this coming offseason.

FYP

Brock
09-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Gonzalez sucked at blocking. Technical proficiency my ass. The guy was a fucking matador.

ROFL

Fish
09-28-2010, 11:49 AM

The fuck are you talkin bout?

the Talking Can
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
nice post

I don't think there is any way they bench jackson, though I smith has more than earned the spot...my hope is Smith can keep this motivation and give us a high energy swing nt/de for 2-3 years....would be invaluable to have that quality in the rotation

Bowser
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM

:facepalm:

Deberg_1990
09-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Whats up with Chambers this year? I was hoping too see more of those short crossing patterns this year. Get him in the open field where he can get a chance to break a long one like he did last year a few times.

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 12:08 PM
To be fair, Saccopoo has never seen someone not named Russel Okung that was good at blocking.

Micjones
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
* Chris Chambers is simply not getting it done. This team desperately needs to give Horne a shot, because we have no deep threat. WR and passrusher need to be our highest priorities this coming offseason.

True story.

He's been pretty invisible thus far this season.
I was really hoping we could get another year with Chambers as a starter, but it looks like he's hit a wall.

We have NOTHING in the cupboard at WR.

DaFace
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
You can't just subscribe to your own thread? I mean, finding your own thread easily is the reason you gave this a books icon, right? Just subscribe in the future and stop making your threads deceitful.

Na, he just refuses to use the prefix icons for their intended purposes. He's still cranky about DraftPlanet 3 years later, and I think it's his way of raging against the machine (as if the machine really cared).

wasi
09-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Whats up with Chambers this year? I was hoping too see more of those short crossing patterns this year. Get him in the open field where he can get a chance to break a long one like he did last year a few times.

The Chiefs have been very balanced run/pass wise the last two games, while the conditions weren't very helpful for a passing attack in game one. That has meant less opportunities overall. But I think the biggest thing is that Chambers is a known commodity for opposing defensive coordinators and has drawn more attention from the secondary so far this season. In my opinion, if McCluster and Moeaki keep doing what they did last Sunday it will open up more throws for the wideouts.

Now whether or not Chambers/Cassel can take advantage if or when that happens remains to be seen.

excessive
09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
"As predicted, Andy Studebaker is getting no pressure on the QB. . ."

He was credited with a sack against S.F.

PunkinDrublic
09-28-2010, 01:19 PM
One thing I was very impressed with that nobody's talking about is that last drive before the end of the first half. With the game still in question, the Chiefs were pretty efficient in getting down the field in time to get a quick field goal before the half. If the game were closer that ends up being a huge scoring drive when you consider the 49ers were getting the ball to start the second half.

Donger
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Na, he just refuses to use the prefix icons for their intended purposes. He's still cranky about DraftPlanet 3 years later, and I think it's his way of raging against the machine (as if the machine really cared).

Wait, those icons actually serve some purpose?

DaFace
09-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Wait, those icons actually serve some purpose?

Eh, very little. A handful of people use them to filter out all the non-football threads and that type of thing.

aturnis
09-28-2010, 02:04 PM
The reason Studebaker has hardly provided pressure, is b/c he's hardly even seen the field. At least I hope that's the main reason, it's definitely part of it though.

morphius
09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
of course when the machine gets annoyed with it and he loses his ability to start threads...

beach tribe
09-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Gonzalez sucked at blocking. Technical proficiency my ass. The guy was a ****ing matador.

You really just don't know what you're looking at when you watch football do you?

Cave Johnson
09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
nice post

I don't think there is any way they bench jackson, though I smith has more than earned the spot...my hope is Smith can keep this motivation and give us a high energy swing nt/de for 2-3 years....would be invaluable to have that quality in the rotation

Just a guess, but I imagine Smith is on a 1-yr contract.

Good luck getting similar effort when he gets paid (See, e.g., Chambers).

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Just a guess, but I imagine Smith is on a 1-yr contract.

Good luck getting similar effort when he gets paid (See, e.g., Chambers).

I don't agree because they're two completely different types of people.

Smith played in the freakin' UFL last year in an effort to get back to the NFL. That shows a great passion for the game, IMO.

Chambers was done in San Diego because his game was slipping and he had too much drama happening with his stalker (who is now is wife).

I seriously doubt we ever see Chambers in the UFL (which based on his performance this year, is where he should be playing).

Chiefnj2
09-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Smith played in the freakin' UFL last year in an effort to get back to the NFL. That shows a great passion for the game, IMO.

Chambers was done in San Diego because his game was slipping and he had too much drama happening with his stalker (who is now is wife).

I seriously doubt we ever see Chambers in the UFL (which based on his performance this year, is where he should be playing).

The new CBA should have a provision that every DT/NT can have a 1 year max contract.

Count Alex's Losses
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM

The Chiefs played McCluster a lot opposite Bowe in that 49ers game. Think about that for a second. We could see a switch a lot sooner than people think.

I think if they're serious about getting into the playoffs this year they might make a trade for a WR.

and RE: Studebaker, in preseason I said I was unimpressed with his sacks because he was either unblocked or got a coverage sack. We haven't seen him beat a guy with a move or use his hands consistently, and at the end of that SF game he was in there on a lot of snaps and was invisible. I didn't even know he was in until I started reviewing game footage for GIF'D UP. Very disappointing. He was credited with a sack because he chased Smith out of bounds after Hali pressured.

ChiefaRoo
09-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Shaun Smith = Dan Saleamua. So far this has been a monster pickup. Weigmann coming back might have been the best move of all.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I was huge on re-signing Chambers this offseason, but I had no clue that he would turn into a sack of shit after getting his check, which is exactly what he's done. I'm on board with benching his ass and getting Horne out there at this point. We need someone who is going to hustle for the ball every down.

Waters is absolutely a renaissance man at this point. It's a beautiful thing to see.

Arenas is so much more than a punt returner. He is going to challenge Carr for the 2 slot in the next couple of years in my humble opinion. He's 100% hungry, ass, football player, and it's a lot of fun watching him out there. I was SO down on that pick. It pissed me off more than the McCluster pick did. Another shining example of "What the fuck do I know?"

I'm with you on Jackson/Smith. The thing is though, in today's NFL we need a good rotation, and I think the nut grabber knows his role in this defense, and recognizes that there is going to be plenty of opportunity for him to get in on, erm, "packages".

This is what we all wanted to see last year, and they're getting off to a fast start. It's a lot of fun to watch, and I for one, won't freak out when they still end up in the 7-9 to 10-6 range. They're getting better, and that's what this year is all about. We're starting to see some major pieces of the puzzle fitting into place and the shift of power in the AFC West is headed to KC. I'm convinced of it.

Cave Johnson
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM

You're totally right, Dane. D-lineman never have motivational problems. ;)

Brock
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
TBH, I don't know what people expected from Chambers, he's really just an older version of Bowe.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I was huge on re-signing Chambers this offseason, but I had no clue that he would turn into a sack of shit after getting his check, which is exactly what he's done. I'm on board with benching his ass and getting Horne out there at this point. We need someone who is going to hustle for the ball every down.

You weren't surprised? He's always been a paycheck player.

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
No way that Arenas will challenge Carr as the #2, and this isn't meant as an insult to the former. There simply isn't a more underrated player on the roster than Carr.

Coach
09-28-2010, 05:25 PM
No way that Arenas will challenge Carr as the #2, and this isn't meant as an insult to the former. There simply isn't a more underrated player on the roster than Carr.

Agreed. Carr is very solid, considering that he came from a D-II school. I suspect he'll have his moments, but he's the least of my worries.

DaneMcCloud
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM
You're totally right, Dane. D-lineman never have motivational problems. ;)

Seriously?

Direckshun
09-28-2010, 08:29 PM
of course when the machine gets annoyed with it and he loses his ability to start threads...

Then you lose. Because I'm a quality poster, like me or not.

milkman
09-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Seriously?

He's just winking at ya because he has a man crush.

Blick
09-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Copper gets in on offensive plays because he's a good run blocker. He gave Patrick Willis all he could handle on one play.

And Studebaker isn't getting pressure because a) he doesn't see the field a lot and b) he's asked to be in coverage a lot and he's good at that. He does a good job using his hands to redirect guys off the line and he did a good job covering Vernon Davis on one play.