PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV DISH Network stops carrying FSN

Priest31kc
09-28-2010, 09:55 PM
WTF? Says Dish might stop carrying FSN starting October 1st. Anyone see this? If so, Im switching to DirecTV ASAP. That means no Mizzou games that are on FSN. Fuck you Dish.

http://getwhatipaidfor.com/home

Lzen
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
This is the first I have heard this. Well, I guess I may have to seriously consider switching to another provider. I love Nat Geo and FSN.

JoeyChuckles
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Here on Cox cable in AZ, Nat Geo and FSN are only as add in packages, not even digital tier or anything. Most people don't have them.

DaFace
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Chances are it'll be like DirecTV vs. umm...Versus last year. If it goes off the air, it'll eventually come back. But yeah, if you are a fan of the sports carried on FSN, that would suck.

KChiefs1
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
There are heavy negotiations ongoing...stay tuned.

Priest31kc
09-28-2010, 11:51 PM
There are heavy negotiations ongoing...stay tuned.

Thank God. This is ridiculous.

88TG88
09-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Just like FOX was not going to be on Time Warner. This will never happen.

Priest31kc
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM

Oh, never heard that. Well I hope your right man.

DaFace
09-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Versus was off of DirecTV for 6 months. You never know.

Sure-Oz
09-29-2010, 12:28 AM
I want my damn royals game there better be FSN

CrazyPhuD
09-29-2010, 01:38 AM
As pissed as you may feel now, remember when you bill raises next time it's likely Fox's fault not dish network.

People tend to forget that all that website is designed to do is raise your cable/satellite bills...

Lzen
09-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Here on Cox cable in AZ, Nat Geo and FSN are only as add in packages, not even digital tier or anything. Most people don't have them.

They are not on the basic tier on Dish. I have the top tier programming. Nat Geo is worth it. :thumb:

Lzen
09-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I want my damn royals game there better be FSN

ROFL I think they may be doing you a favor.

Lzen
09-29-2010, 08:43 AM
As pissed as you may feel now, remember when you bill raises next time it's likely Fox's fault not dish network.

People tend to forget that all that website is designed to do is raise your cable/satellite bills...

Oh yes, I understand that. And we're obviously not privy to the details of the situation/negotiations. But one does have to wonder why Dtv and cable providers are not having this issue. I dunno, maybe they will have issues when their contracts are up.

Reerun_KC
09-29-2010, 08:47 AM
DTV is the way to go...

kepp
09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
We just switched back to DirecTV after a two year hiatus with Dish for two reasons. One, DirecTV offered us a better package for multiple HD TVs and, second, they kept dropping channels like this.

Priest31kc
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Wow. FSN is off Dish. Time to switch to DirecTV.

DaFace
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh yes, I understand that. And we're obviously not privy to the details of the situation/negotiations. But one does have to wonder why Dtv and cable providers are not having this issue. I dunno, maybe they will have issues when their contracts are up.

There are probably a ton of different things that influence the issue. Like you said, you only really hear about one at a time because of the contract dates, but I'd imagine there are frequently negotiations when contracts expire. There are sometimes issues not only with the actual rates being charged, but also with what types of packages the channels are carried on (basic, standard, premium, sports tier, etc.). I don't think this is the case (though I don't actually know FSN's ownership structure), but the Versus deal with DirecTV was a major issue because Versus is owned by DTV's biggest competitor - Comcast.

I'm just glad I don't live in that world. Everybody sucks.

Lzen
10-01-2010, 11:20 AM
!@#$ you, Dish Network! :cuss: I did notice that Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, FX, Fox Movie Channel, and Fox News are still there. Didn't that site say some of those would be gone, too?

Lzen
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
And, of course, my Jayhawks are playing on FSN tomorrow. :cuss: Guess I will have to go to a bar to watch.

Zaiko
10-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Good thing I have Cox. Ranked #1 in customer satisfaction -- or so they always tell me.

88TG88
10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow. FSN is off Dish. Time to switch to DirecTV.

wow

Detoxing
10-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Good thing I have Cox. Ranked #1 in customer satisfaction -- or so they always tell me.

Cox sucks. Terrible company. I refuse to use any of their services. Switch to DirecTV and never look back.

Lzen
10-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Cox sucks. Terrible company. I refuse to use any of their services. Switch to DirecTV and never look back.

I'm not a big fan of their tv service, but I've had their high speed internet for over a year now and have been pleased with it.

Detoxing
10-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of their tv service, but I've had their high speed internet for over a year now and have been pleased with it.

I agree. I think their internet service is the best. but dealing with their customer service is a fucking joke.

Sure-Oz
10-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Wtf really..noooooo

Sure-Oz
10-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Looks like fx and other fox networks will go.... i assume fox 4 kc too? Oh hell no.....wtf dish.

thurman merman
10-02-2010, 12:19 AM
This site says FOX itself might be gone by November 1. How is that even possible? How would DISH keep any customers at all if they can't even offer that channel anymore?

Mecca
10-02-2010, 12:51 AM
For awhile Time Warner was running ads about ESPN wanting to much money etc etc, then a few weeks later the ads said they worked out a deal, big shocker there eh?

But when it comes to something like Dish they're whole selling point is they're cheaper.

Sure-Oz
10-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Apparently negotiations are trying to continue but fox currently is blocking the channels. This shit needs to be taken care of....no FX FML

Trimm
10-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Sadly if they dont get it resolved soon, i to will be switching back to comcast...no FOX = no House and thats just not going to happen

okcchief
10-02-2010, 01:02 AM
I originally went to DTV because Dish's customer care pissed me off. Love Directv and they will bend over backwards to keep you happy. Couldn't do without FSN.

KChiefs1
10-02-2010, 01:03 AM
It's hardball tactics...

Priest31kc
10-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Ill give them a week or 2, but if it's not back up by the Mizzou-Texas A&M game, which will probably be on FSN, I am switching to DirecTV. Ill watch the MU-CU game at a friends house I guess.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Well, I signed up for DirecTV this week. I don't care who's right or wrong, I just want to watch football on Saturday.

I'll get the same channels with Direct that I was getting with Dish but I'm getting it $30/mo cheaper. So, it all works out for me.

Reerun_KC
10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
You couldnt pay me enough money to switch to Dish Notwork... They blow, their programming blows, they are the anti sports satelite provider...

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
You couldnt pay me enough money to switch to Dish Notwork... They blow, their programming blows, they are the anti sports satelite provider...

I don't see much difference in the programming between it and DirecTV. I originally switched to Dish because they were going to give me a free DVR and Direct wanted to charge me $500 for one.

Dish does go out a lot more in the rain though.

DMAC
10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I've been with DTV for a few years now. I called them a couple weeks and told them to lower my bill $30 per month. They did.

MichaelH
10-07-2010, 10:49 AM
If you are a sports fan, you should never ever have Dish Network.

Bob Dole
10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
If anyone is switching to DirecTV, Bob Dole will be happy to give you his account number so we can both get $100 off. :)

grandllama
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Just as an asides to this thread, many retrans rights are up for negotiation again this fall.

My corporation is already preparing to not be carried by TimeWarner / Brighthouse / Comcast in many markets where we have stations.

It wouldn't surprise me if things got even nastier this time around

Sure-Oz
10-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm pretty pissed that I won't have the MU Colorado game tomorrow night cause if this bullshit....

Are they still trying to come to an agreement?

I will have to go to a buddies to catch this. i never had issues until now with Dish. Oh and FX being gone fucking sucks

KChiefs1
10-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Directv is so much better on their sports coverage.

MichaelH
10-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Just wondering here, why if you know that your cable or Dish network isn't going to carry NFL Network, MLB NETwork or many FOX sports staions, why the hell keep them? I ask because I guy I work with hates Time Warner Cable because of no NFL or MLB network in our area yet thinks getting Direct TV isn't an option. He isn't ready for that mess as he puts it. WTF?

Bwana
10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Not a wise idea on the part of Dish.

Sure-Oz
10-08-2010, 07:03 PM
http://www.foxrefused.com/

alternate channels to make up for the current loss

It would be fucked up to lose the local fox affiliate too at nov. 1st, they better get their shit together

Mecca
10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Just as an asides to this thread, many retrans rights are up for negotiation again this fall.

My corporation is already preparing to not be carried by TimeWarner / Brighthouse / Comcast in many markets where we have stations.

It wouldn't surprise me if things got even nastier this time around

Since I have Time Warner I'm curious what stations your corporation covers.

notorious
10-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Why does Dish Network always have problems getting/holding onto channels while Direct TV is always rainbows and flowers?

I have Direct TV and love it (except for the stupid delay with channel surfing on HDTV)

UteChief
10-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Why does Dish Network always have problems getting/holding onto channels while Direct TV is always rainbows and flowers?

I have Direct TV and love it (except for the stupid delay with channel surfing on HDTV)

That's pretty much gone with the new receivers. It's sweet!

notorious
10-08-2010, 09:16 PM
That's pretty much gone with the new receivers. It's sweet!

Good to hear, I have a second (new) one coming in a couple of weeks.

crispystl420
10-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I am a DTV customer I get a ton of fox sports regional channels. A few say MU vs CU coming soon, but I live in NC should I expect to get this game?

crispystl420
10-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Also I was given a DVR receiver and I swear the picture quality is much better even though it isn't HD

Al Bundy
10-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I am a DTV customer I get a ton of fox sports regional channels. A few say MU vs CU coming soon, but I live in NC should I expect to get this game?

I would think so.

notorious
10-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Also I was given a DVR receiver and I swear the picture quality is much better even though it isn't HD

Sweet Moses, go out and get the HD.

I can't imagine watching football in standard anymore.

crispystl420
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
OK I hope so. A couple O know have college game day and they invited us over but i don't want to go, but man I would be so mad if I missed out on a game.

crispystl420
10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Sweet Moses, go out and get the HD.

I can't imagine watching football in standard anymore.

I have three receivers so I'm trying to hold out for the free upgrade. Satellite HD isn't that great anyhow. Plus i have to pay for nfl sunday ticket so it's hard to justify so much money for HD. I want to retire someday and I don't want to blow all of my expendable income.

notorious
10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I have three receivers so I'm trying to hold out for the free upgrade. Satellite HD isn't that great anyhow. Plus i have to pay for nfl sunday ticket so it's hard to justify so much money for HD. I want to retire someday and I don't want to blow all of my expendable income.

Satellite HD is just as good as anything else I have seen.

If you call them and ask them (hell, they offered it to me for free on a service call) they will upgrade you for free.

An extra 4.99/month shouldn't ruin retirement unless you are living tight (which I can relate to in my younger years).

crispystl420
10-08-2010, 09:58 PM

If you call them and ask them (hell, they offered it to me for free on a service call) they will upgrade you for free.

An extra 4.99/month shouldn't ruin retirement unless you are living tight (which I can relate to in my younger years).

it's not the monthly fee I would just have to buy a new dish and all new receivers. I am not due for an upgrade for a year, but I will then. I will say DTV is good about rewarding existing customers. We aren't living too tight we make decent money for our age (28) but I am trying to avoid wasting money.

crispystl420
10-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Local over the air is the best imop

notorious
10-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Local over the air is the best imop

Oh, I am out in the great Bronco/Chiefs divide (SW Kansas), and our over the air channels are pretty bad or hard to get.

DaFace
10-08-2010, 11:40 PM

As I mentioned above, Versus was off of DirecTV for about 6 months last year. It just didn't get a lot of attention except for hockey and MMA fans.

thurman merman
10-08-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm seriously considering switching to Directv now. The only reason I'm sticking with DISH so far is that I just ordered the NFL RedZone channel, which is awesome. Does anybody know if you can order this channel individually on Directv? I was doing some research, and the only info I could find on it was that it was available with the Sunday Ticket, which is way too expensive.

DaFace
10-08-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm seriously considering switching to Directv now. The only reason I'm sticking with DISH so far is that I just ordered the NFL RedZone channel, which is awesome. Does anybody know if you can order this channel individually on Directv? I was doing some research, and the only info I could find on it was that it was available with the Sunday Ticket, which is way too expensive.

The short answer is "no." DirecTV has its own RedZone channel that's part of NFLST, so they don't offer the NFL's version at all.

thurman merman
10-08-2010, 11:49 PM
The short answer is "no." DirecTV has its own RedZone channel that's part of NFLST, so they don't offer the NFL's version at all.

Dangit.

Well, I think I'll stick with DISH till the end of the NFL season, and then switch over. Gotta have FSN back before the Royals start playing again.

58-4ever
10-08-2010, 11:53 PM
If you enjoy sports, DirecTv is always the way to go.

Lzen
10-12-2010, 09:19 AM

If you are a sports fan, you should never ever have Dish Network.

Directv is so much better on their sports coverage.

If you enjoy sports, DirecTv is always the way to go.

Where does all of this opinion come from? Is any of this based in reality or is this just a bunch of fan boy crap? I ask this because I have had Dish for 6 years and up until now have never had a problem with getting a lot of good sports programming. Tell me exactly what makes Dtv so much better for sports? Is there anything tangent or are you guys just regurgitating the Dtv advertising campaign?

As for this FSN BS, this is just another one of those contract disputes that we have already seen Dtv and Cox go through (see Versus and NFL Network). We were laughing at you guys when you went through this kinda BS. Now its our turn.

The only thing that Dtv has over Dish as far as I can see is Sunday Ticket, and I really don't care about ST (we can order UFC PPV, College Gameplan, NBA season pass, etc). But I am still seriously considering switching to Dtv because of this stupid contract thing with FSN. I looked into Dtv the other day and it didn't seem any better to me.

MichaelH
10-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Where does all of this opinion come from? Is any of this based in reality or is this just a bunch of fan boy crap? I ask this because I have had Dish for 6 years and up until now have never had a problem with getting a lot of good sports programming. Tell me exactly what makes Dtv so much better for sports? Is there anything tangent or are you guys just regurgitating the Dtv advertising campaign?

As for this FSN BS, this is just another one of those contract disputes that we have already seen Dtv and Cox go through (see Versus and NFL Network). We were laughing at you guys when you went through this kinda BS. Now its our turn.

The only thing that Dtv has over Dish as far as I can see is Sunday Ticket, and I really don't care about ST (we can order UFC PPV, College Gameplan, NBA season pass, etc). But I am still seriously considering switching to Dtv because of this stupid contract thing with FSN. I looked into Dtv the other day and it didn't seem any better to me.

Can you order MLB Extra Innings? Do you get NESN, MASN, YES or any other sports network? Can you get CBS College Sports. All I know for $12.99 extra a month, I can watch any FOX affiliate in the country, NESN, MASN,YES, The Outdoor Channel and who knows what else. I don't watch soccer, womens basketball or golf but I know there's channels dedicated to that as well.

Frosty
10-12-2010, 09:58 AM
As I mentioned above, Versus was off of DirecTV for about 6 months last year. It just didn't get a lot of attention except for hockey and MMA fans.

And a seriously pissed off Oregon State fan. :#

Lzen
10-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Can you order MLB Extra Innings? Do you get NESN, MASN, YES or any other sports network? Can you get CBS College Sports. All I know for $12.99 extra a month, I can watch any FOX affiliate in the country, NESN, MASN,YES, The Outdoor Channel and who knows what else. I don't watch soccer, womens basketball or golf but I know there's channels dedicated to that as well.

I don't know about the MLB (mainly because I don't give a shit about baseball), but I'm sure we get most of that other stuff. Although I don't know if we can get the extra FSN affiliates. I really wouldn't want to pay for that anyway. Dish has CBS College Sports, TOC, and some others.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports/default.aspx

Lzen
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
If anyone is switching to DirecTV, Bob Dole will be happy to give you his account number so we can both get $100 off. :)

Can I get that #? I am still seriously considering the switch.

kepp
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Where does all of this opinion come from? Is any of this based in reality or is this just a bunch of fan boy crap?

I had Dish for 2.5 years or so and just switched (back) to DTV and I already like it better for sports. For the mid-tier programming packages, it seems like I get more sports channels - ESPNU for instance - than Dish.

Lzen
10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Ok, I think I am ready to make the switch. This shit is getting old and I'm tired of it. Dtv here I come.

SLAG
10-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok, I think I am ready to make the switch. This shit is getting old and I'm tired of it. Dtv here I come.

Uverse has FSN and NFL RZ

Lzen
10-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Uverse has FSN and NFL RZ

I had horrible service with ATT DSL. And last I checked, Uverse is still not available in my part of the city. No thanks.

KChiefs1
10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.tvpredictions.com/foxdishlose101210.htm

Hawk8568
10-13-2010, 12:28 PM

you wont regret it

Lzen
10-13-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.tvpredictions.com/foxdishlose101210.htm

Dish customers are the losers here. Spot on.

Coogs
10-13-2010, 01:28 PM

Did it yesterday after being with Dish for 12-15 years.

CrazyPhuD
10-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Wow talk about pure motherfucking evil. I thought cable companies were bad but they don't have jack shit on the networks.....110% uncalled for I can understand you being able to block access to the network without a transit agreement, but to then go ahead and block hulu too. Someone needs to take murdoch down a few pegs. Fortunately his empire is already crumbling around him...

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-fox-uses-hulu-briefly-as-pawn-in-retrans-battle-with-cablevision/

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20101016/news-corp-shuts-off-hulu-access-to-cablevision-subs/

Lzen
10-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Did it yesterday after being with Dish for 12-15 years.

I have been a Dish customer since 2004. I called them the other day and complained. Told them that they should give me a discount. They said they aren't giving refunds/discounts at this time. I told them that was BS and that they must want their customers to leave and go to their competitors. Then they said they could give me 3 PPVs ($6 each). I said that's a start. Watched those PPVs over the weekend. I'm still switching, though. Got Dtv setup to be installed on Sunday morning.

Coogs
10-18-2010, 08:42 AM
I have been a Dish customer since 2004. I called them the other day and complained. Told them that they should give me a discount. They said they aren't giving refunds/discounts at this time. I told them that was BS and that they must want their customers to leave and go to their competitors. Then they said they could give me 3 PPVs ($6 each). I said that's a start. Watched those PPVs over the weekend. I'm still switching, though. Got Dtv setup to be installed on Sunday morning.

So far I have not noticed a real huge advantage/disadvantage between Direct and Dish. Being a new customer allowed me to get different receivers for more rooms in the house at no cost. That has been nice. But we also had the Dual PVR receiver from Dish that allowed rewinding live events on multiple TV sets in our house. We lost that, which kind of sucks.

And, we were still in the process of learning the channels on Direct. We were so used to the Dish Guide/Channel lineup, so that has been a big adjustment. As of right now, I would give the edge there to Dish, but that may change soon once everything gets learned by the whole family.

Not disappointed I switched, but don't see night a day difference yet either.

:shrug:

Lzen
10-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I will be seeing a significant difference in price difference for the first year. One plus is that I will be able to watch in HD on 2 tvs now. With my dual tuner, it only allowed us to watch HD on 1 tv. And we only got that 3 years ago. Never understood why they didn't have HD for both on that dual tuner HD DVR receiver. I don't have a HD tv for the other tv as of yet. But now that I will have 2 HD receivers, I plan to buy another LCD for my bedroom. :)

The one downside is that we have a standard def dual tuner DVR for my kids. One to my boys and the other to my daughter. With Dtv, I had to pay an extra $99 up front for the boys to have the DVR receiver (they only offer a non DVR receiver for free). Didn't get one for the girl, though. I figure she doesn't really need one at her age anyway.

All in all, I figure I'm going to see around a $40 difference in my monthly bill for the first 10 months. After that it will still be a little less, but only a few dollars. I'm happy with that.

Iowanian
10-18-2010, 09:27 AM
brideowanian is pretty pissed about it, because she can't watch ISU lose by 60 points every saturday.

Coogs
10-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I will be seeing a significant difference in price difference for the first year. One plus is that I will be able to watch in HD on 2 tvs now. With my dual tuner, it only allowed us to watch HD on 1 tv. And we only got that 3 years ago. Never understood why they didn't have HD for both on that dual tuner HD DVR receiver. I don't have a HD tv for the other tv as of yet. But now that I will have 2 HD receivers, I plan to buy another LCD for my bedroom. :)

The one downside is that we have a standard def dual tuner DVR for my kids. One to my boys and the other to my daughter. With Dtv, I had to pay an extra $99 up front for the boys to have the DVR receiver (they only offer a non DVR receiver for free). Didn't get one for the girl, though. I figure she doesn't really need one at her age anyway.

All in all, I figure I'm going to see around a $40 difference in my monthly bill for the first 10 months. After that it will still be a little less, but only a few dollars. I'm happy with that.

Money factor for the first year is the biggest difference here too. The other differences at both of our houses sound pretty much the same as well. Some plus's, some minus's.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I switched from Dish to DirecTV last week. The programming is pretty much the same.

I don't think I really like the DTV dvr's as well. I got the DVR where I'm supposed to be able to watch it in multiple rooms but I haven't figured out how to get it to work in the other rooms. I was looking forward to the on-demand type feature but apparently it requires an adapter of some type and a DTV technician to come out and hook it up.

But, I like that my bill is $30 cheaper a month. It's just going to take a while to get used to everything.

DaFace
10-18-2010, 10:34 AM
I switched from Dish to DirecTV last week. The programming is pretty much the same.

I don't think I really like the DTV dvr's as well. I got the DVR where I'm supposed to be able to watch it in multiple rooms but I haven't figured out how to get it to work in the other rooms. I was looking forward to the on-demand type feature but apparently it requires an adapter of some type and a DTV technician to come out and hook it up.

But, I like that my bill is $30 cheaper a month. It's just going to take a while to get used to everything.

All you need for On Demand is an Cat5 connection to your broadband router. If your router is nice and close, that can be as easy as a cable. If not, it can get more complicated, since you'll need a wireless access point, too.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-18-2010, 10:39 AM
All you need for On Demand is an Cat5 connection to your broadband router. If your router is nice and close, that can be as easy as a cable. If not, it can get more complicated, since you'll need a wireless access point, too.

I have the "Whole Home DVR" and according to the DTV website, I have to have an installer come out to install a connection kit.

Lzen
10-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Those bastards at Dish wanna charge me for what they call a 'discounted' shipping label to ship my receivers back to them. $15 each is discounted? :cuss: They tried to talk me into staying with them by offering Starz and saying that I'm getting NFL Redzone. I don't give a crap about those. And they also said they guaranteed that after my initial contract and for everything I get now, I would pay at least $10 more/mo. The only thing I'm not getting is a 2nd DVR for the kids. But like I said, my girl really doesn't need one. But I am gaining a 2nd HD receiver. I'm so glad I'm ditching them.

Coogs
10-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I have the "Whole Home DVR" and according to the DTV website, I have to have an installer come out to install a connection kit.

That is what I have now as well. I had an installer come out to put up the dish and the system in, and all of that was free.

Coogs
10-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Those bastards at Dish wanna charge me for what they call a 'discounted' shipping label to ship my receivers back to them. $15 each is discounted? :cuss:

Same here! :cuss:

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Those bastards at Dish wanna charge me for what they call a 'discounted' shipping label to ship my receivers back to them. $15 each is discounted? :cuss: They tried to talk me into staying with them by offering Starz and saying that I'm getting NFL Redzone. I don't give a crap about those. And they also said they guaranteed that after my initial contract and for everything I get now, I would pay at least $10 more/mo. The only thing I'm not getting is a 2nd DVR for the kids. But like I said, my girl really doesn't need one. But I am gaining a 2nd HD receiver. I'm so glad I'm ditching them.

Yeah, they offered me 3 months of Starz too. Why would they think that Starz is an appropriate substitution for a sports channel?

Cock Puncher
10-18-2010, 10:55 AM

I canceled last week and told them no on there "discounted " boxes and they shipped them to me anyways. I love having the sunday ticket and hd on all of my households tvs instead of just 50% of them.I think direct tvs hd signal is superior to dish networks.The big thing for me was that my bill is about 50% less for the next 5 months.

If you cancell dish network dont call them to cancel untill you no longer need there service. I called two days ahead and told them to shut it down on a specific date and the guy took it personaly, shut me off immmediately . I could not get it turned back on without absurd charges there customer service people can be a tad unprofessional.

Coogs
10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I canceled last week and told them no on there "discounted " boxes and they shipped them to me anyways. I love having the sunday ticket and hd on all of my households tvs instead of just 50% of them.I think direct tvs hd signal is superior to dish networks.The big thing for me was that my bill is about 50% less for the next 5 months.

If you cancell dish network dont call them to cancel untill you no longer need there service. I called two days ahead and told them to shut it down on a specific date and the guy took it personaly, shut me off immmediately . I could not get it turned back on without absurd charges there customer service people can be a tad unprofessional.

I waited to cancel. And then I had to go through 5 minutes of the "for this press 1, for that press 2" BS to finally talk to someone. Then, after I had told her I just wanted to cancel... which took another 5 minutes... I had to be put on hold for another 5 minutes to talk to her supervisor... and then it took another 5 minutes to finally get it done.

20 friggin' minutes for a simple disconnect.

Hug it Out Dan
10-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah I visited my mom last week, (who has DISH), wanted to watch the MU game as well as FX's Fall Thurs night lineup of programs like "It's Always Sunny" and "The League", I didn't know about this network cancellation so I spent like 20 min running through the channel list as well as trying to search by program, the whole 9 yds, then I read on the internet that DISH stopped carrying this starting Oct 1st. ****ing bullshit. It's a good thing I don't have DISH because I'd be flipping shit right now. Luckily I had it DVR'd back at my place, had to go to a bar to watch MU game, which is what my friends ended up doing anyways so I just tagged along. I don't think my mom will care, she doesn't watch sports all that much and prob didn't know the FX channel even exsisted, DISH is cheaper, which is more of the reason why she will continue to be a DISH customer. I for one, wouldn't put up w/ that...I'd cancel.

If I was a DISH customer, this would be enough for me to switch to DirectTV or UVerse. FX and FSN are major networks, it's not like they're the 1 of 10 religion channels they have on DISH (****ing stupid to include all of that shit in the basic pkg, no on watches that, you don't watch TV to worship religion). FX has a great lineup of shows and show many major motion picture flicks on weekends. FSN has a LOT of college games from teams in this area, Cardinals/Royals games. If you live in the area, I would cancel in a heartbeat. Not to mention HD mostly depends on the source it's coming from, and DISH's HD is IMO far inferior to that of Uverse, DirectTV or even digital cable (Comcast,MediaCom,Charter etc).

DaFace
10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Just to reiterate, if anyone else out there is considering switching to DirecTV, make sure that you do it through their referral program. You'll get $100 off, as will the person who referred you. All you need is an existing DTV customer's account number, which I (and many others) would be happy to provide. :)

You can't add it after you've signed up, so make sure you sign up through the program in the first place.

Cock Puncher
10-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Just to reiterate, if anyone else out there is considering switching to DirecTV, make sure that you do it through their referral program. You'll get $100 off, as will the person who referred you. All you need is an existing DTV customer's account number, which I (and many others) would be happy to provide. :)

You can't add it after you've signed up, so make sure you sign up through the program in the first place.

Yes, thats completely true I used my moms account as a referral and we both got 100 bucks off.

Lzen
10-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah I visited my mom last week, (who has DISH), wanted to watch the MU game as well as FX's Fall Thurs night lineup of programs like "It's Always Sunny" and "The League", I didn't know about this network cancellation so I spent like 20 min running through the channel list as well as trying to search by program, the whole 9 yds, then I read on the internet that DISH stopped carrying this starting Oct 1st. ****ing bullshit. It's a good thing I don't have DISH because I'd be flipping shit right now. Luckily I had it DVR'd back at my place, had to go to a bar to watch MU game, which is what my friends ended up doing anyways so I just tagged along. I don't think my mom will care, she doesn't watch sports all that much and prob didn't know the FX channel even exsisted, DISH is cheaper, which is more of the reason why she will continue to be a DISH customer. I for one, wouldn't put up w/ that...I'd cancel.

If I was a DISH customer, this would be enough for me to switch to DirectTV or UVerse. FX and FSN are major networks, it's not like they're the 1 of 10 religion channels they have on DISH (****ing stupid to include all of that shit in the basic pkg, no on watches that, you don't watch TV to worship religion). FX has a great lineup of shows and show many major motion picture flicks on weekends. FSN has a LOT of college games from teams in this area, Cardinals/Royals games. If you live in the area, I would cancel in a heartbeat. Not to mention HD mostly depends on the source it's coming from, and DISH's HD is IMO far inferior to that of Uverse, DirectTV or even digital cable (Comcast,MediaCom,Charter etc).

I can agree with pretty much everything except for the comment on Dish's HD signal. Their HD signal is just as good from what I have seen. Maybe you have seen people's setups that don't take advantage of that. For instance, someone who had a HDTV but didn't have HD receiver. I'm pretty sure they're comparable signals.

DaFace
10-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I can agree with pretty much everything except for the comment on Dish's HD signal. Their HD signal is just as good from what I have seen. Maybe you have seen people's setups that don't take advantage of that. For instance, someone who had a HDTV but didn't have HD receiver. I'm pretty sure they're comparable signals.

Yeah, I've never noticed any difference in signal quality, personally. Of course, I'm content with my 720p 40", too, so I'm not exactly a quality elitist.

Lzen
10-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I've never noticed any difference in signal quality, personally. Of course, I'm content with my 720p 40", too, so I'm not exactly a quality elitist.

You and me, brother. I have a 720p 42" LCD. ;)

And the reason I felt compelled to reply is that I want to separate fact from hyperbole. I have seen too much of that when it comes to the Dtv vs DN debate.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Dish Network has just made it a guarantee that I will never return to them. In addition to charging me $15 to return the receivers, I now have to climb on the roof and take off part of the dish to mail back too or they'll be charging me $150.

Der Flöprer
10-23-2010, 12:50 PM
LMAO those guys really know how to make a bad situation worse. I'm glad i read this thread. When I go to dish from cable, I know where i wont be going.

Cock Puncher
10-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Dish Network has just made it a guarantee that I will never return to them. In addition to charging me $15 to return the receivers, I now have to climb on the roof and take off part of the dish to mail back too or they'll be charging me $150.

The direct tv guy was nice enough to hand me my old lmb from the dish because he had done so many new installs due to dish network cancellations that he knew the drill.

Dish network are complete dicks once you cancell, They did send me a flyer offering me free movie rentals if i came back to them lol .

Sure-Oz
10-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I wonder if the AJ Smith runs dish network

Baconeater
10-23-2010, 01:04 PM
LMAO those guys really know how to make a bad situation worse. I'm glad i read this thread. When I go to dish from cable, I know where i wont be going.
Don't kid yourself, Directv pulls the same type of shit.

Sure-Oz
10-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't kid yourself, Directv pulls the same type of shit.

Exactly....i have had zero issues with Dish until this whole fox spat...still a dish subscriber atleast for now, im hoping my patience will pay off

Baconeater
10-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I'll never do business with anyone who needs my credit card # in order for me to be a customer. All that means is they are setting you up to get fucked.

Rams Fan
10-23-2010, 02:43 PM
U-Verse>All.

Lzen
10-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Directv installer is here now. w00t!

Lzen
10-24-2010, 09:48 AM

Nice. :shake: They made it sound to me like if I could get that for them it would be great, but not absolutely necessary. Screw them if they try to charge me for that.

Lzen
10-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Exactly....i have had zero issues with Dish until this whole fox spat...still a dish subscriber atleast for now, im hoping my patience will pay off

Same here. But this thing really pissed me off with the way they have handled it. Plus, their prices have been going up and up and up. I will be saving some dough for the first year.

DaFace
10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Directv installer is here now. w00t!

Nice. They'll love you. (It's always a hell of a lot easier to install once a dish has been in place than for people switching from cable.)

Priest31kc
10-24-2010, 09:56 AM
If they don't get this shit resolved before the next Mizzou-Texas Tech game which Im sure will be on FSN, then Ill just take the damn cancellation fee and switch to DirecTV. This is ridiculous, 3 plus weeks now....I want to watch This Week In Mizzou Football damnit!

Sure-Oz
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM
I am going to be really irritated if the local fox channel is taken off in november

Priest31kc
10-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Dish Network, Fox Reach Carriage Deal

While it's still fighting with Cablevision, Fox has settled its carriage dispute with Dish Network. It has signed a comprehensive deal for its broadcast network's O&O stations as well as the cable channels that went dark on Oct. 1. (They have been restored today.) The Fox network signal was in jeopardy with the two sides' previous deal expiring Sunday night. The agreement means Dish customers will have continued coverage of the World Series and the NFL unlike Cablevision subscribers who have been without Fox for 2 two weeks as the two sides have failed to agree on a new deal.

Los Angeles and Englewood, Colo. — DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and Fox Networks, an operating unit of News Corporation (NASDAQ: NWS), today announced a wide-ranging distribution agreement to provide the third-largest video distributor in the United States with continued access to programming from Fox Broadcasting and Fox local television stations in major cities. The agreement also included carriage of FX, National Geographic Channel, and Fox’s 19 regional sports networks, which were restored for DISH Network viewers Friday.

“After prolonged negotiations to reach a fair deal, we’re pleased to enter into a long term agreement with Fox and to assure our customers that they can continue to enjoy these channels,” said Dave Shull, Senior Vice President of Programming for DISH Network. “We thank our customers, our retail and channel partners, and our employees for their support through these negotiations, which we believe resulted in a fair deal that reinforces DISH Network's position as the best value in television.”

"I want to thank our partners at DISH Network who worked tirelessly to help us reach a successful conclusion,” said Mike Hopkins, President, Fox Networks Affiliate Sales and Marketing. “This agreement provides a strategic partnership between Fox and DISH to bring the best programming to DISH subscribers.”

The agreement ensures that DISH Network viewers will continue to have access to Fox’s live national and regional coverage of major sporting events including Major League Baseball’s World Series, the NFL on FOX, the NBA, the NHL, college football and basketball, as well as popular entertainment programming on FOX, such as Glee, House, and The Simpsons; Sons of Anarchy and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX; and the Border Wars and the upcoming Great Migrations on National Geographic Channel.

DISH Network will continue to provide programming from the local Fox and MyNet television stations in the following markets: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore (MyNet 24 only), Boston, Chicago, Cleveland/Akron, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Gainesville (FL), Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Memphis, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Tampa, and Washington D.C.

Priest31kc
10-29-2010, 08:16 PM
I checked just in case, and the channels are indeed back. FINALLY. I was going to switch to DirecTV on Monday if they took away the local Fox channel, but I was optimistic they would reach a deal because Dish would lose mass customers if they lost Fox.

CrazyPhuD
10-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Heh I wonder how much fox is going to raise your rates. If I were dish I would make it extremely clear how much fox is costing the consumer per year.

But meh really it doesn't matter too much, both dish and directv will be gone well within 10 years.

btlook1
10-29-2010, 09:11 PM
But meh really it doesn't matter too much, both dish and directv will be gone well within 10 years.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that they will both be gone in 10 years???? I don't see that happening so I'm asking why?

CrazyPhuD
10-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Why do you say that they will both be gone in 10 years???? I don't see that happening so I'm asking why?

IPTV will kill them, how television and to some degree movies etc is going to change radically, some of the existing business models will fold. Satellite TV being one of them, much like internet radio is helping to kill satellite radio. Seriously now that I have pandora in my phone that hooks up to my car, why would I ever want satellite radio anymore? Cable/network TV will take a big hit too. The difference is they provide true data services. Cable may stop being as much TV and become more ISP. The infrastructure costs and the equipments issues will kill off satellite and they can't easily become a network provider when they lose the TV revenue unlike cable.

The real issue holding back IPTV is the bandwidth concerns and that may be solved a lot sooner than you think.

DaFace
10-29-2010, 09:21 PM
But meh really it doesn't matter too much, both dish and directv will be gone well within 10 years.

Why do you say that they will both be gone in 10 years???? I don't see that happening so I'm asking why?[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily agree, but they are definitely dealing with some technical constraints. As on-demand video becomes more and more ubiquitous, they'll be at a major disadvantage to many of the other forms of media distribution to keep up. My guess is that they'll figure something out (DTV's "streaming" on-demand service is a first step), but you never know.

Sure-Oz
10-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Noticed flipping channels a few minutes ago and seeing Sons of Anarchy on the listings....im a happy guy

Al Bundy
10-29-2010, 10:31 PM
IPTV will kill them, how television and to some degree movies etc is going to change radically, some of the existing business models will fold. Satellite TV being one of them, much like internet radio is helping to kill satellite radio. Seriously now that I have pandora in my phone that hooks up to my car, why would I ever want satellite radio anymore? Cable/network TV will take a big hit too. The difference is they provide true data services. Cable may stop being as much TV and become more ISP. The infrastructure costs and the equipments issues will kill off satellite and they can't easily become a network provider when they lose the TV revenue unlike cable.

The real issue holding back IPTV is the bandwidth concerns and that may be solved a lot sooner than you think.

I wondered about the bandwith on IPTV. Do you think the NFL will go to pay per-view on games?

Lzen
10-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Since I just switched to Directv, I wanted to share some insight on how the 2 services compare.

First off, whoever said that Dtv's HD signal is better is a idiot. They are the same. You can't tell the difference. Don't buy the hype.

I do like the button DTV has that pulls up the sports scores. Pretty cool feature.

With my Dish Network dual tuner receiver, I was able to hook up my antenna and have essentially a 3rd tuner on that receiver. My new Dtv receiver does not have a hookup to connect my antenna. :( I had to hook up he antenna directly to my tv. Normally, this wouldn't be much of a problem. However, I am not able to record stuff to the DVR in HD due to this issue. That is because for some fucked up reason, Dtv doesn't have our locals in HD as of yet. :cuss:

Another thing that I don't care for is the fact that with my old Dish dual tuner dvr receiver, I was able to pause live TV on both of my tvs that were connected to that receiver. With Dtv, I can only pause live tv on the main tv. One way to get around this is to record the show to the dvr. Still, its a silly pain in the butt to have to do that.

One thing I do like is that my receiver upstairs that shares the dvr space with my main receiver in the living room is an HD receiver. With Dish, my dual tuner HD dvr was only in HD for the main tv. For some stupid fucking reason, Dish made the 2nd tuner in the dual tuner a standard coaxial out. No HD signal on a coax.

Of course, I'm still getting used to the remote and guide. Its different in a lot of ways and similar in some ways. Not better or worse, just different.

One last thing that I like about Dtv is that I can use the Cinema to download programs and movies. And a lot of those are free. Pretty cool feature.

These are just a few things that I've noticed right off the bat. So, those who claim one is far better than the other don't know wtf they're talking about. And don't get me wrong. I am still happy that I switched. DN pissed me off with the whole Fox stuff. And I love Nat Geo, too. But it wasn't just that.

What is up with the BS that I was paying extra for HD when they advertise that it is free? Sounds like a buncha BS to me.

And they wouldn't even refund me for screwing me over by making me pay my normal bill when they weren't providing me with programming that I had paid for. I was pissed about that and I told them it was bullshit and that they didn't seem to care that this kinda shit would make their customers go elsewhere.

The pricing was getting ridiculous, too. At least with Dtv I will be saving about $40 or so a month for the first year. After that, it will be slightly less than what I was paying with Dish. After 2 years, it will be about the same.

Baby Lee
10-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Our long National Nightmare is over

A new ep of The League just showed up on my Dish.

thurman merman
10-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Hooray, Dish has gotten the channels back. I was this close to switching to Directv, too.