PDA

View Full Version : Life Kansas City Downtown Restaurants

jwazzie
09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone,

My family will be in KC tomorrow for a check up at Children's Mercy and we were wondering where a good restaurant is in downtown KC. We would like to not eat at Crown Center. Anything except Mexican because 4 and 2 year olds we have hate it right now in life. Any help would be really appreciated.

Dave Lane
09-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Arthur bryants Is down there I think Hereford House and Garozoes (italian and spelled wrong I think)

Shogun
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Arthur bryants Is down there I think Hereford House and Garozoes (italian and spelled wrong I think)

Took it right out of my mouth

Bearcat
09-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Gates is on Main, about 5 or 6 blocks south of Crown Center. There's stuff in the River Market, about 20 blocks north... Minsky's, Bo Ling's. Grinders, Arthur Bryant's.... if you change your mind about Crown Center, d'Bronx is there.

kcchiefsus
09-28-2010, 10:32 PM
The Peanut, The Quaff, The Red Dragon

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Nothing decent downtown. Need to head out to Olathe.

Shogun
09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Oklahoma Joes.

Pulled pork sandwich and fries. Then go next door, buy a Bacon explosion

Profit.

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Where are you staying?

BWillie
09-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Nothing decent downtown. Need to head out to Olathe.

ROFL you gotta be kidding me. Olathe sucks for fine dining

DaneMcCloud
09-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Oklahoma Joes.

Pulled pork sandwich and fries. Then go next door, buy a Bacon explosion

Profit.

Only for the health care industry.

:D

Mojo Jojo
09-29-2010, 01:12 AM
I would say d'bronx either Crown Center or 39th and State Line...there is Jack Stack, Lidia's and Grunauer in the Freight House District right behind Union Station.
Also, I hope all goes well with the check up.

Simply Red
09-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Edge of Hell, they'll serve your ass a cinged beating heart.

tomahawk kid
09-29-2010, 08:15 AM
If your at Children's Mercy - Jack Stack has a location right behind Union Station.

LuLu's is a great Asian place on Southwest Traffic Way - but I'm not sure they'd have alot of fair for 2 & 4 year olds.

Grinders is another place in the Cross Roads District that has killer sammichs and sides.

There's also a few places I would recommend in the City Market - but not sure if you'd want to make the drive over.

Pneuma
09-29-2010, 08:39 AM
My vote is for the Jack Stack by Union Station

stevieray
09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Flea Market isn't too far away.

Bwana
09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
My vote is for the Jack Stack by Union Station

This, if there is one in the area....tasty!

sedated
09-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Grinders, 18th and Oak.

For something fancier, if you like sushi, try Nara on 16th and Main

gblowfish
09-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Hereford House downtown burned to the ground. The owner torched it. It's gone now.
Manny's is good for Mexican food, Jack Stack by Union Station, and there's good food to be had at the Power & Light District downtown.

jiveturkey
09-29-2010, 11:18 AM
How about a new hot dog joint?

http://www.inkkc.com/content/haute-dogs-another-american-classic-gets-makeover

BWillie
09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
For real though you must hit up the Cigar Box.

MVChiefFan
09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
The wife and I went to Grinders a couple of months ago when we were in town. Great place! I had the south philly cheese steak with cheez whiz and onions and it was very tasty.

Weird story though, when we came out of Grinders and were walking towards our car I spotted a fella that looked like the Damon Wayans homeless character on "In Living Color". He had a cardboard tube about eight feet long and he had one foot on it and was twisting the other end with all his might trying to tear it in half.

He succeeded and immediately put it into the shape of a cross and started marching down the street yelling "this is what I like, this is what I like!!!" Needless to say the wife and I were hurrying to car trying not to make eye contact when I noticed he was comin' right for me. I thought I better look this guy in the eye before he did something out of hand. He was about three feet from me yelling, "this is what I like, this is what I like" then, as if his crack just kicked in, looked at me dead in the eye and said "but sometimes I like to PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAAAAARRRR!" He then took off down the street yelling jibberish and swinging the cardboard tubing feverishly over his head.

gblowfish
09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
The wife and I went to Grinders a couple of months ago when we were in town. Great place! I had the south philly cheese steak with cheez whiz and onions and it was very tasty.

Weird story though, when we came out of Grinders and were walking towards our car I spotted a fella that looked like the Damon Wayans homeless character on "In Living Color". He had a cardboard tube about eight feet long and he had one foot on it and was twisting the other end with all his might trying to tear it in half.

He succeeded and immediately put it into the shape of a cross and started marching down the street yelling "this is what I like, this is what I like!!!" Needless to say the wife and I were hurrying to car trying not to make eye contact when I noticed he was comin' right for me. I thought I better look this guy in the eye before he did something out of hand. He was about three feet from me yelling, "this is what I like, this is what I like" then, as if his crack just kicked in, looked at me dead in the eye and said "but sometimes I like to PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAAAAARRRR!" He then took off down the street yelling jibberish and swinging the cardboard tubing feverishly over his head.

Yeah, that was me.
Sorry about that.

MVChiefFan
09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, that was me.
Sorry about that.

Then dude, you are HILARIOUS!!!

Chocolate Hog
09-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Jazz on stateline

Simply Red
09-29-2010, 03:44 PM

ROFL

CHENZ A!
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
For real though you must hit up the Cigar Box.

This is good advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCUnited
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
This is good advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

While his wife and kids get serenaded by Al Latta, he can skip over to Totally Nude, WIN!

Chocolate Hog
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
While his wife and kids get serenaded by Al Latta, he can skip over to Totally Nude, WIN!

Except they arent totally nude infact you prolly see just as much skin at Hooters sadly.

gblowfish
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes, the stripper laws recently changed here in Missouri. You have to go elsewhere to see that kind of thing now, praise Jesus!

CHENZ A!
09-29-2010, 03:56 PM

Is that his name? He's a legend. Somebody needs to buy him a new toupee though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Otter
09-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes, the stripper laws recently changed here in Missouri. You have to go elsewhere to see that kind of thing now, praise Jesus!

PA has a weird law when it comes to strippers:

If they're totally nude the establishment cannot serve alcohol. It has to be BYOB. But if the girls wear bikini bottoms or a thong the place can have a full bar and work under the same laws as any other non-private drinking establishment.

It's the weirdest law. The full nude clubs have to have a designated area where you can keep coolers full of beer, any bottles you want and even kegs as long as the establishment isn't serving them to you and you have to put it in a plastic cup before returning the the stage.

It makes no sense, bureaucracy at work.

BWillie
09-29-2010, 04:16 PM

If they're totally nude the establishment cannot serve alcohol. It has to be BYOB. But if the girls wear bikini bottoms or a thong the place can have a full bar and work under the same laws as any other non-private drinking establishment.

It's the weirdest law. The full nude clubs have to have a designated area where you can keep coolers full of beer, any bottles you want and even kegs as long as the establishment isn't serving them to you and you have to put it in a plastic cup before returning the the stage.

Just legalize prostitution everywhere already. Who gives a shit. Whores will be whores. At least let them earn a decent living.

sedated
09-29-2010, 04:17 PM

that was similar to the old MO laws, only you couldn't bring alcohol. Nude=no booze. Pasties=booze.

the only place around here that is BYOB is the Outhouse in Lawrence.

KCUnited
09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Is that his name? He's a legend. Somebody needs to buy him a new toupee though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, my ol lady nearly choked him out one time, she's creeped out by him, but the toasted ravioli's are too good not to stop in.

As far as Totally Nude, having been there, I'm not that busted up that they're not totally nude any longer.

Back on topic, go to Grinder's, pizza, tots, tons of stuff for your kids to look at and you can get your Ad Astra on.