PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Better Draft - '96, '08, '10 (or "other")

DJ's left nut
09-29-2010, 12:14 PM
On The Border Patrol this morning, the question was asked if the 2010 draft was the best in Chiefs history (later amended to the last 30 years).

The consensus seemed to be that it was either '10 or '96, with '08 getting a bit of discussion as well. Ultimately they were really pushing that '96 draft.

So what do you think, what was the best draft in Chiefs history thus far?

'96 -- Woods, Tongue, Browning, Edwards, Horne
'08 -- Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Carr, Richardson
'10 -- Berry, McCluster, Arenas, Moeaki, Asamoah, Lewis
Other -- You make the call

It's a no-brainer to me, the '08 draft is an incredible draft. Take away the fringe guys liek Carr and Richardson and you still have an elite RB, a lock-down CB and a franchise level LT, not to mention a pretty dominant 5-tech that may/may not be in a perfect system for him. You can't say enough about that draft.

Consider the trade options. Would you trade Dorsey for Berry? Probably. Albert for McCluster? No. Flowers for Arenas? No. Charles for Moeaki? No. Richardson for Asamoah? Maybe, but I doubt it. Carr for Lewis? No.

Across the board, the stronger and more valuable players on the list came from the 2008 draft class.

The 1996 class doesn't even get a sniff, IMO. Stupid selection by the Border Patrol guys.

BigCatDaddy
09-29-2010, 12:19 PM
08, but it helps having 2 first round picks.

-King-
09-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I think the 08 draft was pretty fucking beastly.

1) '08
2) '10
3) '96
4) '09

I KEED I KEED LMAO

DaFace
09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
08, but it helps having 2 first round picks.

Yeah, I was too young to care in the 90's, and we had an insane number of picks in 2008, so I voted for 2010. Still, it's just based on 3 games, so if Moeaki gets injured and the other guys slow down, it could change things a lot. Right now, though, it looks pretty damn good.

Coogs
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Border Patrol must read the Planet to get their material.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234162&highlight=1996+draft

Shogun
09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see how the rest of this year plays out with our '10 rookies before i make my vote. I will bump this.

Brock
09-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Can't really say yet, between the latter two.

Rain Man
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Too early to tell right now, but I'm hoping it'll be an interesting discussion two years from now.

And I think I'd take 1989 over 1996, even though I don't know who was drafted in 1989 besides DT.

Pestilence
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
08' gave us:

Starting DE in the 3-4
Starting LT
Playmaker at RB
Starting #1 and #2 CBs
Starting RT

I'd have to say the 08' draft is the best out of the three.

DJ's left nut
09-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Border Patrol must read the Planet to get their material.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234162&highlight=1996+draft

My apologies to Fax on the quasi-repost.

-King-
09-29-2010, 12:33 PM
If a player doesn't do do shit for the team that drafted him...can we really count him? Players like Joe Horn, Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams, etc.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
And I think I'd take 1989 over 1996, even though I don't know who was drafted in 1989 besides DT.

Mike Elkins was a huge "game changer"

Rain Man
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Mike Elkins was a huge "game changer"

Yeah, but I'd rather have Elkins and DT than Jerome Woods and Tongue. Therefore, 1989 wins. Kind of like how Walter and Eddie Payton are the brother tandem with the highest career rushing total.

Hug it Out Dan
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Can't really count Joe Horn, he didn't really take the league by storm so to say, until he was with New Orleans. KC didn't really benefit from that draft pick.

I'd say (so far)
2008 - like what was said before, having a couple 1st rd picks helps
2010 - (this could change, end up being #1)
1996 - Horn was better w/ NO than in KC, we didn't exactly benefit from this pick because he was hurt
1989 - DT draft, nuff said.

cdcox
This 1963 draft didn't suck.

Buck Buchanan DT Grambling State
Ed Budde G Michigan State
Bobby Bell LB Minnesota
John Sklopan DB Southern Mississippi
Jerrel Wilson RB Southern Mississippi
John Maczuzak DT Pittsburgh
Dave Hill T Auburn
Curt Farrier DT Montana State
Joe Auer RB Georgia Tech

DeezNutz
'08 was fucking sick, and I don't consider Carr a fringe guy; he's a legit #2 CB in this league.

OnTheWarpath58
09-29-2010, 12:45 PM
2008, and it's not even close.

And who gives a shit how many picks they had? You still have to hit on them whether you have 6 or 12.

CHENZ A!
09-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Bobby Bell LB Minnesota
Dave Hill T Auburn
Joe Auer RB Georgia Tech

That wins easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, how could '10 possibly surpass '08?

Moeaki would have to be Gonzalez, Berry would have to be Polumalu and McCluster would have to be Darren Sproles. Sure, I guess that could happen, but that's quite a reach.

I think we're selling the '08 draft a bit short to say that we need to give the 2010 class a little more time.

Flowers can make a legitimate argument as one of the top 3 corners in the entire NFL and Charles is the 2nd most explosive back around. Just those 2 alone, being so excellent at such critical positions, makes it nearly impossible for the 2010 draft to surpass it. If Dorsey keeps playing like this, he's suddenly a borderline All-Pro and Albert is absolutely a top 10 guy at yet another critical position. I'm also inclined to agree with DN, Carr is a legitimately excellent cover CB. Not fantastic in run-support, but he's a very good cover guy.

If the 2010 draft pans out perfectly, you'll end up with a TE, a SS, a FS, a LG and a slot receiver/kick returner. Even if these guys play to the level of their '08 counterparts, they'll be doing it at less critical positions.

This just looks like '08 in a walk to me and it would be nearly impossible for 2010 to pass them by virtue of how important the positions the Chiefs drafted in '08 are.

Direckshun
09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
'10 will yeild quicker returns.

But the '08 draft was a foundational draft. Each of those players will color this roster for a decade.

DJ's left nut
09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
That wins easy.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why they amended it to the last 30 years.

That one doesn't seem fair to the rest of the competition.

Saccopoo
09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
The '84 was nice with Bill Maas, John Alt and Kevin Ross.

'67 had Jim Lynch and Willie Lanier.

'64 had Buck Buchannan and Bobby Bell.

'08 and '10 will have to stand up to the test of time. However, they do look very nice so far.

Saccopoo
09-29-2010, 01:12 PM

'08 and '10 will have to stand up to the test of time. However, they do look very nice so far.

Goldmember
09-29-2010, 01:19 PM

You said that already.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
so can we praise Herm and Carl for helping to build this current team?

DJ's left nut
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
so can we praise Herm and Carl for helping to build this current team?

I've given Herm a ton of credit for his input into the draft and have said on a couple of occasions that he'd be a valuable front-office mind.

I think he's a pretty awful head coach, but the man can spot talent.

I'd gladly take him back in a player-personnel capacity.

Carl ceded control over the 2008 draft to Herm and company, so I still get to consider him a moron.

Lzen
09-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Bobby Bell LB Minnesota
Dave Hill T Auburn
Joe Auer RB Georgia Tech

Wow. That's impressive.

Demonpenz
09-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Charles is going to be in the hall of fame if he gets more carries.

keg in kc
09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
It'll probably be '08 or '10. The '96 draft was productive, but more for other teams, with (if memory serves) Tongue, Edwards and Horn all leaving (Horn didn't produce at all here, did he?). Woods was obviously good, and Browning was a valuable role player. But to me, the quality of a draft isn't a matter of the general quality of the players, but the value of the players to the team that drafted them.

Rain Man
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the 2008 draft should also include a negative Jared Allen in the equation. If you take him out, it lowers the value quite a bit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Knowing that you got Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles from the deal (while also saving yourself 50+ million) what do you now think of the Jared Allen trade?

Chiefs Rool
09-29-2010, 03:42 PM
it's hard to say, the 2008 draft is looking extremely good. Albert is turning into the premier LT we need him to be and Dorsey is evolving into that 5-tech player we want him to be. The rest is GOLD.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2010, 03:42 PM
I think the 2008 draft should also include a negative Jared Allen in the equation. If you take him out, it lowers the value quite a bit.

And when he leaves because he hates the franchise and Carl Peterson and you get nothing out of him in return?

Marcellus
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
If not for the 2008 draft success the 2010 draft would have looked much different (and likely 2009). For example, no Albert means LT in round 1 of 2010.

Kind of hard to make apples to apples comparisons.

cdcox
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
(Horn didn't produce at all here, did he?)

His last year in KC he was a legitimate deep threat with 35 catches for 586 yards and 6 TDs.

I never thought we should have let him go. He had speed and was beginning to become productive. I realize we would not have gotten Roaf had we kept Horn, but that was never factored into the decision to let him walk.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
If not for the 2008 draft success the 2010 draft would have looked much different (and likely 2009). For example, no Albert means LT in round 1 of 2010.

Kind of hard to make apples to apples comparisons.

No Albert means LT at the top of round 1 in 2009, IMO, which means Eugene Monroe would probably be here.

BossChief
09-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Right now, the 08 draft is better.

Time can (and I think will) change that.

Berry - multiple all pro
DMC - multiple pro bowler at multiple positions
Arenas - might make a pro bowl or two as a returner
Asamoah - multiple probowl/all pro
Moeaki - multiple pro bowl player/possible all pro
Lewis - should start a lot of games and play well
Sheffield - sidelined career due to injury

Hug it Out Dan
09-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Right now, the 08 draft is better.

Time can (and I think will) change that.

Berry - multiple all pro
DMC - multiple pro bowler at multiple positions
Arenas - might make a pro bowl or two as a returner
Asamoah - multiple probowl/all pro
Moeaki - multiple pro bowl player/possible all pro
Lewis - should start a lot of games and play well
Sheffield - sidelined career due to injury

BWAHAHAH WTF?

WTF makes you think all of these players will be probowlers ???

C'mon man
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/carter%20espn.jpg

Saul Good
09-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Knowing that you got Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles from the deal (while also saving yourself 50+ million) what do you now think of the Jared Allen trade?

Albert and Charles are great, but I don't give a shit about the 50 mill. It's not my money, and it's not like we're bumping up against the salary cap.

Rain Man
09-29-2010, 04:18 PM

Honestly, if Charles gets more carries I'll say that we beat the odds and got good value out of it, but only out of the sheer luck of drafting a big star in the third round. However, at this point Allen still has more pro bowls than Albert, Charles, and Morgan combined in the years since they were drafted. I'm hopeful that our blind pig found truffles, though.

keg in kc
09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Knowing that you got Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles from the deal (while also saving yourself 50+ million) what do you now think of the Jared Allen trade?I've always liked the trade, I just like it even more now.

DeezNutz
09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
I've always liked the trade, I just like it even more now.

Yep.

Albert alone could more than justify the trade. Charles is gravy. Delicious, but gravy. /no KU

BossChief
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Knowing that you got Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles from the deal (while also saving yourself 50+ million) what do you now think of the Jared Allen trade?I wasnt a fan of the trade when it happened, but when the draft ame along and we got what we did, I was neutral about it, maybe still on the side of Jared (even though I was a huge fan of Charles and Morgan at the time, didnt know a lot about Albert)

Now though, its a no brainer.

Im glad I was a bit off in that eval.

BWAHAHAH WTF?

WTF makes you think all of these players will be probowlers ???

C'mon man
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/carter%20espn.jpg

I named 4 players I think will go to multiple probowls:

Berry - once in a decade talent, run stuffer and playmaker on the deep ball that will take it to the house.
DMC - Returned a punt to the house in his first game, I see the kid being able to make a probowl as a offensive player and special teamer (if hegets enough looks)
Asamoah - was the second best guard in the draft and the dude was absolutely dominant in both run and pass blocking in the BigTen.
Moeaki - Exceptional blocker, receiver clutch player. Hopefully he avoids the "fluke injury bug"

and one possible probowler:

Arenas - was college footballs best returner of the last few years and has already shown to have that lethal ability at this level.

I think that is exactly how the situation will play out.