PDA

View Full Version : Football Help me out folks....Who had a better LBing corps?

RedThat
10-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Im going back to past history.

And I think this is a good comparison. Who was better, the Chiefs Lbing corps of the '60's w/ Bobby Bell, Willie Lanier, and Jim Lynch or the Steelers Lbing corps of the '70's w/ Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, and Loren Toews...Now I never watched those guys play because I was neither born nor a part of that era.

But, I've watched highlights of them, not actual games from the 60's or 70's. Just highlights, and the highlights are mainly going to show all the good plays they all made. Since the highlights show all their good plays, I can't really narrow in and analyze their play or compare their play. Just to see who was good at doing so and so or what were these guys weaknesses/strengths or just simply who was better at doing what? And overall.

Can any of you trace back or remember in detail, provide an in depth analysis of who was better and why? I know that is a lot of work, but just for the fun of it, and good conversation, I ask for your opinion. But please be honest, and fair, don't just pick the Chiefs because you like the Chiefs. Be honest and fair in your assessment. Don't get me wrong, you can pick the Chiefs but give good reason.

*Im asking for you to be a critic;) thanks

okiedokieokoye
10-14-2010, 12:13 PM
This sounds like it's going to be a hoot.

Rain Man
10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
If you compare them, you had....

Russell vs. Bell at LLB
Lambert vs. Lanier at MLB
Ham vs. Lynch at RLB

Russell was very good, but the fact that Bell easily made the Hall of Fame and Russell didn't makes that answer pretty easy. Bell wins.

Lambert and Lanier are pretty much a wash. Both were excellent, both Hall of Famers, both played the run and the pass. If I had a choice I'd take Lanier because he was bigger, but you can't go wrong with either. Call this a wash.

Ham vs. Lynch. Kind of the reverse of the LLB position. Lynch was very good, but Ham is a Hall of Famer. Unfortunately, I think Lynch only made one pro bowl as well. Ham wins this one.

If I had to rank them, I'd go with....

1. Bell
2. Lanier
3. Ham
4. Lambert
5. Russell
6. Lynch

Some might say that Ham and Lambert are the best because they both made the Hall in their first or second year of eligibility, and both were a defensive player of the year at one point. However, I would counter that four Super Bowls will accelerate the HoF voting, and they also had the luxury of playing behind a uniquely strong defensive line. While both teams had an HoF tackle in front of them (Buck Buchanan and Joe Greene), LC Greenwood and Dwight White were way better than any of the DEs the Chiefs ever lined up.

Honestly, one might have to pick the Steelers in this matchup just because Russell had 7 pro bowls and Lynch only had one. However, put the Chiefs behind that Steelers line and I think they would've done even better.

Sofa King
10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Derrick Thomas

Dartgod
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Im going back to past history.
Thank goodness, because future history makes my brain hurt.

Sofa King
10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Thank goodness, because future history makes my brain hurt.

Fax can help you out with that.