PDA

View Full Version : KU Blame for loss falls on Gill

chiefsnorth
10-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Blame for loss falls on Gill

LAWRENCE | The Kansas football season died here on Thursday night, and now the only hope is that the program isnít dead, too.

Hope is fading by the day.

Turner Gill is the $10 million coach of a five-cent program, six games into his career at Kansas and already owning three of the worst losses in recent Kansas football history.

Unranked Kansas State gutted the Jayhawks 59-7 in front of the best crowd Memorial Stadium will have all year, and as encouraging as this is for the Wildcats, the story here is the epic failure of Kansas football under Gill - the bad hire that serves as Lew Perkinsí parting gift to KU.

The Jayhawks should be on the same level with programs like K-State and Baylor, but instead they lost by a total of 114-14.

Two weeks to prepare for a home game against a rival that could help salvage a season and gain a new coach credibility, and this is what happens?

That starts with the head coach. There are excuses to be made for Gill, and some of them are worth a listen. Kansas went 1-7 in the Big 12 last year with a team that lost the most productive quarterback and pair of wide receivers in school history.

No college coach can be fully or fairly judged until heís able to coach his own recruits, and Gill is no different.

But reality is impossible to ignore, especially when itís witnessed by a near-sellout crowd and national TV audience. And the reality is that reasonable people are forced to believe this experiment with the coach who doesnít allow cursing or women past 10 p.m. will end in the same embarrassing way itís beginning.

Think about it.

Gill is a motivator, thatís what weíre told. He is supposed to be an inspiration, the kind of leader college football players will fight for.

And his assistants? One of the better staffs in America, weíre told, the kind of coaches who can make the final product better than the raw material.

So, hereís what weíve seen: a team thatís quit two games in a row during shameful losses to middle-of-the-road programs. The Jayhawks have been terribly prepared, too, crystallized by three mental-error penalties that killed their first two drives of a game against a rival.

Mark Mangino wasnít liked by many of his players, but his teams always played hard. Just halfway through Gillís first season, and already thatís not true - a glaring indictment for a coach in need of his playersí love.

Itís one thing to be a bad team with bad players. Itís another to be a bad team with bad players who are coached badly and arenít playing hard.

Worse: Gillís ultimate success or failure at KU depends upon recruiting more than any other factor, and how well do you think heíll be able to recruit now?

The Jayhawks have lost 11 of their last 13 games - many of them on national TV for everyone to see. They lost to a mediocre team from the NCAAís junior-varsity division in the season opener and now have taken two brutal beatings in a row to what should be comparable peers.

So, in review, Gill is now trying to recruit better players to a losing program thatís not even allowed to have fun.

Good luck.

"I guess you could say that," Gill said when asked whether improving the program will be harder after two embarrassing losses.

K-Stateís Carson Coffman is one of the worst starting quarterbacks in major-college football, and KU made him look like a Heisman candidate: 15 completions in 16 throws and five total touchdowns.

Heck, backup Collin Klein made a 51-yard touchdown almost by accident - the Wildcats just wanted to run out the clock.

K-State came into this just like KU: off an embarrassing blowout loss and desperate for something to feel good about. Games like this tell you as much about a teamís head and heart as talent and skill, and the difference between KU and K-State could not have been more obvious.

Kansas State is a good team, nothing more. The Wildcats have better players than the Jayhawks, but the difference in talent isnít huge.

You can get blown out by Nebraska or Oklahoma, and nobody will think much of it. But to do it against a team headed for the Holiday Bowl is something else entirely.

Kansas football is no longer an afterthought. KU football matters now, and for all his faults, Mangino took the program to unprecedented levels.

Perkins increased resources and attention and brought the facilities even with all but the truly elite. The infrastructure exists for a winner, but how could you believe that will happen with Gill?

The demands of the job are higher than at any point in the last three decades, and itís remarkable to see how far the program has tumbled in the 33 months and 31 games since the Orange Bowl.

Back then, Kansas looked like the rare school that might maintain success in both football and menís basketball.

Now, it looks a lot more like the Terry Allen years, right down to the unofficial end of KU football season with Late Night in the Phog tonight.

KU fans are already turning apathetic or angry at their football program, either talking about basketball or wondering when Gill can be fired. He receives far more support from Nebraska fans than Kansas.

Itís too early to talk seriously of firing Gill. But itís plenty fair to be convinced that his time at Kansas will end in shame and set the program back years.

Any other outcome and Gill will have led a miracle turnaround that even Kansas State and Bill Snyder could appreciate.

To reach Sam Mellinger, call 816-234-4365, send e-mail to smellinger@kcstar.com or follow twitter.com/mellinger. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.
Posted on Thu, Oct. 14, 2010 11:26 PM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/14/2316003/blame-for-this-loss-falls-entirely.html#ixzz12RS3QmOV

Fritz88
10-15-2010, 09:36 AM
As long as the players don't curse, have no women after 10 PM, and get tucked into bed by Gill every night, then I am a happy man.

ChiTown
10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Valid points.

The talent Gap between the teams is minimal. The Gap in Coaching is huge, and the Gap in where the Programs currently are is big and getting bigger.

Make the Coaching change now. I speak from exPeRIeNCE

DMAC
10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
awww

58-4ever
10-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Fire Mangino and this happens. Hmmm.

Reaper16
10-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Mellinger, twisting the knife.

Spott
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Radio FTW!

Lzen
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Article pretty much sums up my thoughts. I am ready to fire Gill after the season. How can you keep a guy that has turned this team soft? It will only make the program worse.

teedubya
10-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh fiddlesticks. I'm gonna pray now. Shucks.

gblowfish
10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
This is a "pray for me thread?"

Jesus is totally pissed right now.

58-4ever
10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh fiddlesticks. I'm gonna pray now. Shucks.

Tell that man in your avatar to stop looking at me like that! I'm not teh gay! NTTAWWT...

Bambi
10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Wow, pretty harsh.

Problem now is that you have the portion of the KU fan base who were waiting to see what HCTG could do drifting over to the side of those who never thought it was a good hire in the first place (Clinkscale)...

Tough for Gill to have to be fighting the other team and his own fans at the same time.

Reaper16
10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Tough for Gill to have to be fighting the other team and his own fans at the same time.
Win the fight against the other team, and the other fight will be won simultaneously.

Bill Brasky
10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Granted he has the same talent KU had last year, but they're still making mental mistakes that show a lack of coaching. I can recall at least two drives in the first half that resulted in 3 and out due to offsides.

Saulbadguy
10-15-2010, 10:12 AM
"Turner Gill is the $10 million coach of a five-cent program, six games into his career at Kansas and already owning three of the worst losses in recent Kansas football history."

teedubya
10-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Dammit, why didn't Nebraska hire Gill. I mean, shucks darnit. Not dammit, please forgive Pastor Gill.

ChiefaRoo
10-15-2010, 10:40 AM
KU should stick to b-ball. Smilin' birds don't belong on the Football Field.

Pants
10-15-2010, 10:41 AM
KU should stick to Football. Smilin' birds don't belong on the Football Field.

lol fail

HemiEd
10-15-2010, 10:45 AM
lol fail

Surely he meant Basketball, but he hasn't been the same since skip left.

Demonpenz
10-15-2010, 10:46 AM
It’s one thing to be a bad team with bad players. It’s another to be a bad team with bad players who are coached badly and aren’t playing hard.

toast doesn't toast. Toast toasts toast toast

ChiefaRoo
10-15-2010, 10:48 AM
lol fail

fail, indeed.

ChiefaRoo
10-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Surely he meant Basketball, but he hasn't been the same since skip left.

I get laid way too much now.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I just love all the arrogant bastards who thought they were going to take Jim Harbaugh from Stanford because KU is a destination job.

That thread should be stickied in perpetuity as a reminder of the stupidity and delusions of the fanbase.

Rooster
10-15-2010, 11:24 AM

ROFL Well done.:D

ChiefsNWildcats
10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Valid points.

The talent Gap between the teams is minimal. The Gap in Coaching is huge, and the Gap in where the Programs currently are is big and getting bigger.

Can't no matter how bad it gets. People were calling K-State racists for letting Prince go after 2.5 years. Imagine the backlash if Turner gets the axe in less than a year.

Almost feel bad for the Jayhawkers after experiencing the Prince debacle...almost.

Chocolate Hog
10-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Dammit, why didn't Nebraska hire Gill. I mean, shucks darnit. Not dammit, please forgive Pastor Gill.

Gil begged for the job too and Gil was very close with Osborne. This should tell you everything you need to know about Turner Gil as a head coach.

sedated
10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I just love all the arrogant bastards who thought they were going to take Jim Harbaugh from Stanford because KU is a destination job.

That thread should be stickied in perpetuity as a reminder of the stupidity and delusions of the fanbase.

IIRC, most fans were skeptical, even after it was reported by a radio station (we'd witnessed "Its Patterson!")

And I seriously doubt you can find one person who claimed ku was a "destination job". He had a family link there, which seemed to make it conceivable.

kstater
10-15-2010, 12:13 PM
IIRC, most fans were skeptical, even after it was reported by a radio station (we'd witnessed "Its Patterson!")

And I seriously doubt you can find one person who claimed ku was a "destination job". He had a family link there, which seemed to make it conceivable.

The best part was watching everyone fawn over the photoshopped picture of him wearing the KU shirt.

Chocolate Hog
10-15-2010, 12:19 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=219320&highlight=Harbaugh

teedubya
10-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Gil begged for the job too and Gil was very close with Osborne. This should tell you everything you need to know about Turner Gil as a head coach.

Oh, I've already seen everything that I need to know about Turdner Gill as a head coach.

Chocolate Hog
10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Oh, I've already seen everything that I need to know about Turdner Gill as a head coach.

ROFL

Brainiac
10-15-2010, 01:13 PM
My wife's friend is a real estate agent, and she was showing houses to Mike Leach yesterday!

ChiTown
10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
My wife's friend is a real estate agent, and she was showing houses to Mike Leach yesterday!

:clap:

IT'S PATTERSON!!1111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROFL

Bearcat
10-15-2010, 01:34 PM
Good article, taking everything into consideration and not just "OMG FIRE TG!!!"

I just love how every post from one or two people always turns into "all the arrogant bastards" and "the fanbase".

tmh
10-15-2010, 01:48 PM
i think its clear the orange bowl win didnt translate into the recruiting class KU wanted, couped with all the distractions over the last two years, fan build up the the crushing reality of week 1 and the back to earth of week 3-6. TG is going to have to get all of manginos recruits out and his in to really get it turned around. I think the kids revolted startinglast year as this was all comming to a head, i think the majority of the athletes saw this as an egomaniacs willfull destruction of a good thing, (Perkins ousting Fat Man) i see this as laying flat in Perkins lap.

Reerun_KC
10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
:clap:

IT'S PATTERSON!!1111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROFL

Patterson is coming to KU?

teedubya
10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Good article, taking everything into consideration and not just "OMG FIRE TG!!!"

I just love how every post from one or two people always turns into "all the arrogant bastards" and "the fanbase".

I love how Hamas Jenkins / John Matrix puts flaming bags of poo on peoples doorstep... gets railed on CP... leaves in shame, then comes back under a new name with a new arrogant, idiotic persona.

chiefsnorth
10-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I love how Hamas Jenkins / John Matrix puts flaming bags of poo on peoples doorstep... gets railed on CP... leaves in shame, then comes back under a new name with a new arrogant, idiotic persona.

I agree, he is totally biting on your style :D

ChiTown
10-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Patterson is coming to KU?

You can make book on that.

teedubya
10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xNSgBkum7o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7xNSgBkum7o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

WilliamTheIrish
10-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Back then, Kansas looked like the rare school that might maintain success in both football and menís basketball.

Holy shit that's funny.

The 2007 squad won their road Super Bowl in Manhattan and didn't play the big dogs of the South division. They lost in convincing fashion to MU for the North title. They were then given a YMCA "Everybody's a winner!!!!!11" BCS bid. WHich they gracefully took and won.

At no time did anybody with more than two firing brain synapses believe that KU would maintain success in that manner. That's a total fabrication by Mellinger. And that was all borne out in the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

Dave Lane
10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Article pretty much sums up my thoughts. I am ready to fire Gill after the season. How can you keep a guy that has turned this team soft? It will only make the program worse.

I'm having Herm flashbacks... :(

Bearcat
10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Holy shit that's funny.

The 2007 squad won their road Super Bowl in Manhattan and didn't play the big dogs of the South division. They lost in convincing fashion to MU for the North title. They were then given a YMCA "Everybody's a winner!!!!!11" BCS bid. WHich they gracefully took and won.

At no time did anybody with more than two firing brain synapses believe that KU would maintain success in that manner. That's a total fabrication by Mellinger. And that was all borne out in the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

OMG it was only an 8 point win stop that!! :deevee:

But yeah, it's about the same as the previous year's Orange Bowl matchup of Louisville and Wake Forest... exciting for the program and there's obviously going to be a glimmer of hope that goes along with it, but no one was thinking they would pull a Florida and start bringing home serious hardware from both sports.

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Too much venom in this thread.

Saul Good
10-15-2010, 09:07 PM
OMG it was only an 8 point win stop that!! :deevee:

The game was never close, and MU knelt on the ball instead of punching it in for a 15 point win at the end.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
I love Herm-Light. May his reign be a long one.

Chiefs Rool
10-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Valid points.

haha, I see what you did there

Thig Lyfe
10-15-2010, 10:17 PM
At least the players don't swear anymore.

Zaiko
10-15-2010, 10:59 PM
DARN FLABBIT THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULLFROG. THESE SON OF A BISCUITS NEED TO GET THEIR MITT TOGETHER.

KChiefs1
10-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I don't think Gill should let his players around women at all.

Saul Good
10-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't think Gill should let his players around women at all.

I don't think women want to hang out with those losers, anyway.

teedubya
10-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Fiddle faddle!!! Seriously guys!

Pants
10-16-2010, 12:52 PM
The game was never close, and MU knelt on the ball instead of punching it in for a 15 point win at the end.

The game was never close??? LMAO KU missed 3 easy field goals. That's 9 points, you retard. The difference in the game was 8 points. MU wasn't going to risk a turnover and that's why they knelt. JFC, I can't believe how stupid you get.

Saul Good
10-16-2010, 01:18 PM
The game was never close??? LMAO KU missed 3 easy field goals. That's 9 points, you retard. The difference in the game was 8 points. MU wasn't going to risk a turnover and that's why they knelt. JFC, I can't believe how stupid you get.

It was never close. Missouri never trailed, and they were never in a position to trail. KU came back late to make the score respectable, but MU could have won by 15. There was no nail-biting going on.

Frazod
10-16-2010, 01:22 PM
It was never close. Missouri never trailed, and they were never in a position to trail. KU came back late to make the score respectable, but MU could have won by 15. There was no nail-biting going on.

As much as I hate to agree with Metrolike, the only reason I wasn't biting my nails is because I was wearing gloves.

kstater
10-16-2010, 01:24 PM

The only time that game was within 7 points was 7-0 and a TD with 2 minutes left brought it to 6. I'd say that game wasn't close.

ArrowheadHawk
10-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Fuck Gill.

Bearcat
10-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I typed that so we could rehash that game again, 3 years later. LMAO

Saul Good
10-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I typed that so we could rehash that game again, 3 years later. LMAO

Good point, let's live in the now. So, how are things?

Bearcat
10-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Good point, let's live in the now. So, how are things?

Much clearer.