PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Booze thread: Your favorites, and values for the dollar

OnTheWarpath58
10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
The beer thread has turned me on to a ton of brews I would have otherwise never heard of, thought we could do something along the same lines for liquor.

The wife and I were at McCormick and Schmick's the other night, and on a whim I ordered a Woodford Reserve bourbon. Liked it so much I bought a bottle this afternoon.

So share with the rest of us: what are your favorites, and what do you buy when you're pinching pennies?

I'll start.

Vodka

Favorite: Chopin
Value: Svedka

Bourbon

Favorite: Woodford Reserve
Value: Makers Mark

Scotch:

Favorite: Macallan 18 year single malt
Value: Johnnie Walker Red

I don't drink Rum, Gin or Tequila, but feel free to add them in.

MOhillbilly
10-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Paging BOCF.

mlyonsd
10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Best tequila I've had is El Tesoro Anejo.

Waste of money mixing it.

Bill Lundberg
10-15-2010, 02:26 PM
If you've never tried Templeton Rye I highly suggest you try and get ahold of a bottle if you're a whiskey fan.

http://templetonrye.com/

Detoxing
10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Fave/Value Vodka: Ciroc

sedated
10-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm mostly a vodka guy, and I'm cheap. If I'm splurging, I go for Most Wanted. Most times I drink McCormick.

OnTheWarpath58
10-15-2010, 02:29 PM

I don't drink tequila, but a friend swears by this stuff:

http://theamarugroup.com/images/client-tequila.jpg

MVChiefFan
10-15-2010, 02:32 PM
I tried Woodford Reserve about four years ago and I've kept a bottle in my liquor cabinet ever since. That's a fine bourbon.

OnTheWarpath58
10-15-2010, 02:32 PM
If you've never tried Templeton Rye I highly suggest you try and get ahold of a bottle if you're a whiskey fan.

http://templetonrye.com/

Only available in Iowa and Illinois.

We found a wine we like at Binny's last time we were in Chicago, when that runs out I'll order more and throw a bottle of TR in with it.

FishingRod
10-15-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm mostly a vodka guy, and I'm cheap. If I'm splurging, I go for Most Wanted. Most times I drink McCormick.

McCormick most of the time but I am mixing it with OJ, or Sprite or something. Grey Goose is Very nice, Sky is Quite good for 1/2 of that price. I really don't think the Most wanted is any better than McCormick. Barton's is bad, Viaooka, Sp? might be the worst.

KCUnited
10-15-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm a low class drunk and my value vodka is Burnett's.

Irish whiskey I go Jameson or Tullamore Dew.

Mr. Plow
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Don Julio. Great Great tequila.

Fish
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Knob Creek has always been my goto bourbon...

Otter
10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I pretty much stick to beer. My favorite is a local microbrew called Troegs

OnTheWarpath58
10-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Knob Creek has always been my goto bourbon...

I've been wanting to try it as well.

Makers has always been my go-to.

Dayze
10-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Pyrat Rum
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Makers Mark
Don Julio Anejo
Don Eduardo Reposado
Cazadores Anejo

love all of them 'neat'.

Otter
10-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Besides the occasional shot of Jamison I stick to beer. One of the local brews called Troegs Hopback Amber Ale (http://www.troegs.com/our_brews/hopback_amber_ale.aspx) has grown to be my favorite.

OnTheWarpath58
10-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Sweet, the wife just surprised me by coming home 3 hours earlier than normal.

Time to hit the deck with a drink and enjoy the weather.

Later.

Pestilence
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/cm/harpersbazaar/images/5v/patron-tequila-under100-gg09-1209-de.jpg

Marcellus
Scotch:

Favorite: Macallan 18 year single malt
Value: Johnnie Walker Red

I don't drink Rum, Gin or Tequila, but feel free to add them in.

Scotch

Favorite: Lagavulin

Value: Same - Johny Walker Red.

Tequila: Don Julio

Value: None

Saulbadguy
10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I can barely tell the difference between "good" liquor and cheap liquor, other than the cheap stuff will generally give me a headache later on...especially w/ Tequila.

MOhillbilly
10-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I got off the whiskey awhile back but for the $ evan williams and JW Dant are imo good cheap straight bourbons.

sedated
10-15-2010, 02:45 PM
McCormick most of the time but I am mixing it with OJ, or Sprite or something. Grey Goose is Very nice, Sky is Quite good for 1/2 of that price. I really don't think the Most wanted is any better than McCormick. Barton's is bad, Viaooka, Sp? might be the worst.

That's all correct IMO except that Most Wanted is pretty tasty for the price.

Expensive vodkas are unecessary for most uses - its always funny seeing someone spend a bunch on Goose just to mix with OJ or cranberry.

OnTheWarpath58
http://www.harpersbazaar.com/cm/harpersbazaar/images/5v/patron-tequila-under100-gg09-1209-de.jpg

Sincerely,

Jay-Z.

Pestilence
Sincerely,

Jay-Z.

Dude.....we hang out all of the time.

Dayze
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
if you like the Silver, try the Anejo.

aged much longer; smooth; a little spicy.

OnTheWarpath58
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
That's all correct IMO except that Most Wanted is pretty tasty for the price.

Expensive vodkas are unecessary for most uses - its always funny seeing someone spend a bunch on Goose just to mix with OJ or cranberry.

Fuck that noise.

Goose and Chopin are for sipping straight.

Dayze
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Fuck that noise.

Goose and Chopin are for sipping straight.

that.

have you tried 360? I think they're out of Weston, MO
pretty tasty stuff.

Stewie
10-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Bourbon: Buffalo Trace

Damn fine and less expensive that MM. You may have to search for it since it's not in most liquor stores. They've won a shit-load of awards for their bourbon and deservedly so.

Kyle DeLexus
10-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I've always liked Crown and for value I just started going with Wiser's Deluxe.

Pants
10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I get Belvedere, but **** sipping that shit. I don't care how good the vodka is, sipping it straight is just silly. SILLY. The only flavor you get with vodka is 'alcohol'. You want that silky smoothness, yes, but that doesn't make it any tastier - it just goes down easier when you shoot it.

The only way to drink vodka is to shoot it. It's not a cognac/whiskey/bourbon, there are no flavors or interesting undertones. There's absolutely NOTHING for your taste buds to work on. I do not and never will understand why people sip it.

KC native
10-15-2010, 03:02 PM
CAZADORES FTMW! The one with the deer head.
http://www.bacardiusa.com/images/brands/brands_cazadores_us.jpg

AustinChief
10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Monopolova is far and away the best value vodka...

blaise
10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
If I drink vodka I drink Stoli.

blaise
10-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I get Belvedere, but **** sipping that shit. I don't care how good the vodka is, sipping it straight is just silly. SILLY. The only flavor you get with vodka is 'alcohol'. You want that silky smoothness, yes, but that doesn't make it any tastier - it just goes down easier when you shoot it.

The only way to drink vodka is to shoot it. It's not a cognac/whiskey/bourbon, there are no flavors or interesting undertones. There's absolutely NOTHING for your taste buds to work on. I do not and never will understand why people sip it.

Yeah, I wouldn't sip vodka either. Bourbon, yes. Vodka or tequila, no.

MOhillbilly
10-15-2010, 03:08 PM
shed water thats had the top burned off is far and away the best taste and value.

Fish
10-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I've been wanting to try it as well.

Makers has always been my go-to.

I prefer it to Makers honestly. Knob has a smooth smokey aftertaste that I just love. Perfect for sipping. I can just slosh the tiniest bit around in my mouth and savor the aftertaste.

Bill Lundberg
10-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Only available in Iowa and Illinois.

We found a wine we like at Binny's last time we were in Chicago, when that runs out I'll order more and throw a bottle of TR in with it.

It's pretty tough to find, but well worth it once you do. You can get it online at http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Templeton_Small_Batch_Rye_196001.html when they have it in stock.

I like Crown also, just for kicks I bought a bottle of the Crown Royal Black last weekend. It's very tasty as well. Smooth and a bit smoky. Made me want a cigar and I don't smoke cigars.

MOhillbilly
10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
just say no to blended,irish,canadian, or scotch and youll be fine.

Pants
10-15-2010, 03:20 PM
It's pretty tough to find, but well worth it once you do. You can get it online at http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Templeton_Small_Batch_Rye_196001.html when they have it in stock.

I like Crown also, just for kicks I bought a bottle of the Crown Royal Black last weekend. It's very tasty as well. Smooth and a bit smoky. Made me want a cigar and I don't smoke cigars.

LOL, you just made me want to smoke one of my Rocky Patel's 1992's. I think I will tonight. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Dartgod
10-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Don Julio. Great Great tequila.

Don Julio Anejo

Tequila: Don Julio
http://www.nicks.com.au/upload/image/image_20104171731313812.jpg

The best I've ever had. Around $100 a 750ML, but ohhhhhhh so smooooooth!

ChiefsCountry
10-15-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.wirtzbeveragegroup.com/wirtzbeverageminnesota/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/bellows4.jpg

DeezNutz
10-15-2010, 03:47 PM
I prefer it to Makers honestly. Knob has a smooth smokey aftertaste that I just love. Perfect for sipping. I can just slosh the tiniest bit around in my mouth and savor the aftertaste.

I'm also a Maker's Mark guy, but now I'm going to try Knob Creek, just to make sure. :D

Fish
10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm also a Maker's Mark guy, but now I'm going to try Knob Creek, just to make sure. :D

There you go... coat-tailing again....

DeezNutz
10-15-2010, 03:52 PM
There you go... coat-tailing again....

Gettyup, Fish.

Fish
10-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Gettyup, Fish.

:BLVD::thumb:

The Poz
10-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Damn fine and less expensive that MM. You may have to search for it since it's not in most liquor stores. They've won a shit-load of awards for their bourbon and deservedly so.

I heard about the trace (some of you guys gave me your two cents on it a while back - much appreciated) but it isn't available north of the border so I order a full case. I did very much enjoy it but Woodford and Knob are still top shelf.

BigOlChiefsfan
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I've got opinions.

Bourbon - bargain = Evan Williams Black label, I use this as my 'cooking' whiskey. Nice price, it's sippable in a pinch. One step up = Jim Beam black label. If they leave it in the wood 1 more year and release it at higher proof - it's Knob Creek (9yr/100 proof). I prefer Knob Creek but the 8 yr/black label is pretty good wusk. Watch for sales, Beam has a lot of 'em - and take advantage of their rebates. **If any of you boys belong to Sam's Club, you can currently buy Beam's Distiller's series on close out, $10/750, it's 7 yr and 90 proof. It sold for $25-$30 last year while they were touting the stuff. Wild Turkey 101 is a good whusk at about the same ballpark price. Weller's Reserve is a nice wheater (wheat used instead of/along with rye in the mash) that predates Maker's Mark, but wasn't sold nationwide. It's always been available here in KS/MO and TX and it's a good buy. This was one of the old Van Winkle recipes back in the day.
My top-end bourbon list is pretty long. The aforementioned Knob Creek and Woodford are nice bourbons and I snap them up on sale. For about the same money I prefer the Van Winkle 'Lot B' 12 yr IF you can find it. Wild Turkey 'Rare Breed' is another daily favorite, they always put it on sale at Christmas so I stock up then. I've got a couple of hard to find/too expensive bourbons that I reserve to celebrate with. Pappy Van Winkle 23 yr old & 15yr Noah's Creek. Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

Scotch. For daily pour blended Scotch I like Teacher's Highland Cream, White Horse, McIvor's (6yr) and Grant's family reserve - the McIvor's and Grants go on sale often and are real bargains. I drink these mixed as 'Rob Roys' or 'Rusty Nails' mostly. One step up in blended scotch for me is Johnnie Walker black label, Black Bottle, Isle of Skye and 12 yr McIvors, Chivas and Dewars. All sipped neat, JWB my fave, but the McIvors on sale is a heckuva buy and the Black Bottle may be the bargain of this bunch.
Blends I like that are more expensive are Johnnie Walker Green and Gold. Watch for sales, the good folks at Gomer's put most of these on sale regularly.

Single Malts - I like Highland Park 12 yr and Talisker 10 yr. I like others as well but these I like well enough to keep around here. I prefer to throw my expendable income at bourbon.

Irish - bargain = Powers gold label (biggest selling Irish in Ireland). I like Jameson 'regular' more than Bushmills white label these days and try to snap it up when it goes on sale. One step up, I prefer the black label Bushmills (the Black Bush, which often elicits a Bevis & Butthead response) but the Jameson 12 is also good. Above that my money is pretty much wasted, tho' I'll drink Redbreast if you're buying.

Vodka - bargin = Sobieski. A very tasty Polish all-rye vodka that won't cost the teeth out of your head. Monoplowa is another good Polish bargain (for political reasons I try to buy Polish vodka instead of Russian or French), I also like Texas own Tito's. I like to drink vodka ice cold, w/fresh cracked black pepper and these work great that way. I grew up drinking ice cold shots like this w/Finlandia but have switched to Sobieski here @ the house.

Gin - I like Beefeaters in martinis and it's not really that expensive. As far as bargains go I'll drink Seagrams 'bumpy bottle' mixed as a seabreeze or w/other juice. I'm a creature of habit and don't have a lot of other gin favorites. I prefer to spend extra money on better vermouth (get small bottles, the stuff oxidizes before I can drink it up by myself).

Rye whiskey - I probably have half a dozen bottles of rye around here, I like a Rye manhattan. Best buy = Old Overholt. Nice step up = Wild Turkey 101 Rye or Russell's Reserve Rye. My favorite (all sold out now, but I still have 2 bottles) = Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yr old Rye.

Rum - I like some of the spiced rums (Kraken, Sailor Jerry and Private Stock in particular) and consider them bargains on sale. But I prefer sipping rums and I think Flor de Cana 7yr, Pampero Aniversario, Bacardi 8 and perhaps Goslings black seal qualify as my current faves. We're too far inland for me to have really good access at good prices but these are my go-to rums right now.

All y'all can have my share of the cactus juice.

Gonzo
10-15-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm a scotch guy personally, JW red is a little too stout for my taste. The black label is ok. I prefer Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. They're both fairly smooth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
10-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm a scotch guy personally, JW red is a little too stout for my taste. The black label is ok. I prefer Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. They're both fairly smooth.
Posted via Mobile Device

Of the 2 I prefer Glenlivet. You find Glenfiddich pretty dang cheap anymore. $26 or so a bottle.

Have you tried Dalwhinnie? A little more pricey than the above but pretty good stuff.

VAChief
10-15-2010, 05:19 PM

Knob Creek is a great whiskey and pretty decent value too, Woodford Reserve is another nice one, but the absolute best one I have ever tasted is Bookers. Pricey at around $50 a bottle, but very full flavored...it will certainly open up your sinuses...definitely not something you would ever mix, not even in a Manhattan...

yhf
10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I tend to stick with scotch when I drink liquor. In my opinion, The Famous Grouse is the best everyday value on the market as far as blended scotch is concerned. A handle can typically be had for around $35. According to their marketing BS they blend with malts from Highland Park and Macallan. GREAT value if that is indeed their pedigree. Regardless of the hype the Grouse beats the shit right out of Dewars all day everyday.

When I splurge for single malts I like to go with something really fucking rude like Laphroig. As an aside, Glenfiddich pisses all over Glenlivet in my book.

VAChief
10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I've got opinions.

Bourbon - bargain = Evan Williams Black label, I use this as my 'cooking' whiskey. Nice price, it's sippable in a pinch. One step up = Jim Beam black label. If they leave it in the wood 1 more year and release it at higher proof - it's Knob Creek (9yr/100 proof). I prefer Knob Creek but the 8 yr/black label is pretty good wusk. Watch for sales, Beam has a lot of 'em - and take advantage of their rebates. **If any of you boys belong to Sam's Club, you can currently buy Beam's Distiller's series on close out, $10/750, it's 7 yr and 90 proof. It sold for $25-$30 last year while they were touting the stuff. Wild Turkey 101 is a good whusk at about the same ballpark price. Weller's Reserve is a nice wheater (wheat used instead of/along with rye in the mash) that predates Maker's Mark, but wasn't sold nationwide. It's always been available here in KS/MO and TX and it's a good buy. This was one of the old Van Winkle recipes back in the day.
My top-end bourbon list is pretty long. The aforementioned Knob Creek and Woodford are nice bourbons and I snap them up on sale. For about the same money I prefer the Van Winkle 'Lot B' 12 yr IF you can find it. Wild Turkey 'Rare Breed' is another daily favorite, they always put it on sale at Christmas so I stock up then. I've got a couple of hard to find/too expensive bourbons that I reserve to celebrate with. Pappy Van Winkle 23 yr old & 15yr Noah's Creek. Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

Scotch. For daily pour blended Scotch I like Teacher's Highland Cream, White Horse, McIvor's (6yr) and Grant's family reserve - the McIvor's and Grants go on sale often and are real bargains. I drink these mixed as 'Rob Roys' or 'Rusty Nails' mostly. One step up in blended scotch for me is Johnnie Walker black label, Black Bottle, Isle of Skye and 12 yr McIvors, Chivas and Dewars. All sipped neat, JWB my fave, but the McIvors on sale is a heckuva buy and the Black Bottle may be the bargain of this bunch.
Blends I like that are more expensive are Johnnie Walker Green and Gold. Watch for sales, the good folks at Gomer's put most of these on sale regularly.

Single Malts - I like Highland Park 12 yr and Talisker 10 yr. I like others as well but these I like well enough to keep around here. I prefer to throw my expendable income at bourbon.

Irish - bargain = Powers gold label (biggest selling Irish in Ireland). I like Jameson 'regular' more than Bushmills white label these days and try to snap it up when it goes on sale. One step up, I prefer the black label Bushmills (the Black Bush, which often elicits a Bevis & Butthead response) but the Jameson 12 is also good. Above that my money is pretty much wasted, tho' I'll drink Redbreast if you're buying.

Vodka - bargin = Sobieski. A very tasty Polish all-rye vodka that won't cost the teeth out of your head. Monoplowa is another good Polish bargain (for political reasons I try to buy Polish vodka instead of Russian or French), I also like Texas own Tito's. I like to drink vodka ice cold, w/fresh cracked black pepper and these work great that way. I grew up drinking ice cold shots like this w/Finlandia but have switched to Sobieski here @ the house.

Gin - I like Beefeaters in martinis and it's not really that expensive. As far as bargains go I'll drink Seagrams 'bumpy bottle' mixed as a seabreeze or w/other juice. I'm a creature of habit and don't have a lot of other gin favorites. I prefer to spend extra money on better vermouth (get small bottles, the stuff oxidizes before I can drink it up by myself).

Rye whiskey - I probably have half a dozen bottles of rye around here, I like a Rye manhattan. Best buy = Old Overholt. Nice step up = Wild Turkey 101 Rye or Russell's Reserve Rye. My favorite (all sold out now, but I still have 2 bottles) = Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yr old Rye.

Rum - I like some of the spiced rums (Kraken, Sailor Jerry and Private Stock in particular) and consider them bargains on sale. But I prefer sipping rums and I think Flor de Cana 7yr, Pampero Aniversario, Bacardi 8 and perhaps Goslings black seal qualify as my current faves. We're too far inland for me to have really good access at good prices but these are my go-to rums right now.

Have you tried Booker's? I like your other choices, haven't tried them all, but I'm guessing by your taste I should.

Reaper16
10-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I've got opinions.

I love BigOlChiefsFan. He's like the me of alcoholic beverages that I don't drink.

Shogun
10-15-2010, 05:34 PM
I basically only drink Crown Royal, Wellers, PBR, and Guinness

BigOlChiefsfan
10-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Yep, Bookers is good stuff - but I have to be in the mood for really 'high proof' whusk, or spending your money. I find I'm happier w/bourbon between 90 proof - 107 proof, when it gets much higher proof than that I wind up adding water or ice...and that's a waste of money (unless you're backpacking).
It won't taste the same, as Beam uses a different mash for Bookers and their Old Grand Dad line, but I recommend trying the OGD 114 if you like a high proof whusk...it's a buttload cheaper than Booker's, and makes a fine 'contemplate the sunset' whiskey.

AustinChief
10-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Monopolova is actually Austrian now.. with Polish origins

CosmicPal
10-15-2010, 05:44 PM
My primary alcohol of choice is vodka: My preference is Belvedere but it is very expensive. I will drink any vodka and really don't have a favorite because I'll drink any of them.

Rum: Nothing beats Sailor Jerry. However, there is a cheaper version of Sailor Jerry called Blackheart- it is the same recipe as Sailor Jerry for much less.

I also like Canadian Club.

I used to be a gin man too, but I find that the number of really good gin pales in comparison to the number of really good vodka, so I don't drink much gin.

Just for kicks, I make my own Kaluha...it's easy to make and is very, very tasty.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-15-2010, 05:45 PM
I love The Macallan. I don't buy it often though.

I am more of a whiskey guy, and I tend to prefer Canadian. I started off drinking V.O and 7, but have recently switched to Canadian Mist as a value brand. Mix it with Diet Sierra Mist, or sometimes some Coke Classic. Delicious.

BigOlChiefsfan
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Monopolova is actually Austrian now.. with Polish origins

One of those 'skip out on the rent' deals, I'll bet. But seriously, I have Austrian ancestory so I need to grab some other Austrian liquor and give it a try. Stroh rum for instance...

Gonzo
10-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Of the 2 I prefer Glenlivet. You find Glenfiddich pretty dang cheap anymore. $26 or so a bottle.

Have you tried Dalwhinnie? A little more pricey than the above but pretty good stuff.

I have had Dalwhinnie and you're right, damn good stuff. Glenlivet is a damn good whenever scotch, imo. The best I've had in a while is JW blue label but it's not worth the coin.
Posted via Mobile Device

yhf
10-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I have had Dalwhinnie and you're right, damn good stuff. Glenlivet is a damn good whenever scotch, imo. The best I've had in a while is JW blue label but it's not worth the coin.
Posted via Mobile Device

No love for the Grouse? If you haven't tried it at least give it a go. Damn fine blend. For the record outrageously expensive blends that JW and Chivas have to offer just don't make sense IMO.

jojomontana
10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
If you're a Scotch drinker, particularly single-malt, Lismore is - by far - the best bottle of single-malt Scotch you can buy for under $50. Most of the time you can find it for $25 or less.

Otherwise, I really dig some 12-year-old Glenlivet... and a fine cigar.

CosmicPal
10-15-2010, 06:47 PM
A good drink for the Fall season:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2010_10_08-applejack3.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan
10-15-2010, 07:05 PM
This fellow knows his stuff aboot Scotch whisky. Ralfy is a hoot.

Ralfy.com (http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/)

Gonzo
10-15-2010, 07:27 PM
No love for the Grouse? If you haven't tried it at least give it a go. Damn fine blend. For the record outrageously expensive blends that JW and Chivas have to offer just don't make sense IMO.
I've never had it, is it blended? I'm usually a single malt guy but I'll try it next time I think of it.
I do enjoy Chivas on the rocks, can't drink it straight up, though. Just a little too much wang for me. I've had the Chivas 17 though and that's a damn fine drink.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Got turned on to Buffalo Trace bourbon while in St. Louis this weekend. About the quality of Bulleit or Maker's... and quite a bit cheaper.

NewChief
10-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Heh. Guess mine was a repost.

NewChief
10-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Monopolova is far and away the best value vodka...

Dude... no love for Tito's? What sort of Austinite are you?

NewChief
10-15-2010, 08:18 PM
I tend to stick with scotch when I drink liquor. In my opinion, The Famous Grouse is the best everyday value on the market as far as blended scotch is concerned. A handle can typically be had for around $35. According to their marketing BS they blend with malts from Highland Park and Macallan. GREAT value if that is indeed their pedigree. Regardless of the hype the Grouse beats the shit right out of Dewars all day everyday.

When I splurge for single malts I like to go with something really ****ing rude like Laphroig. As an aside, Glenfiddich pisses all over Glenlivet in my book.

I'm the same way on Scotch. If I'm going to pay for it, I go with an Islay. Laphroig is probably one of my favorites. One of my friend's dads is a huge, huge Scotch fan. Like he regularly brings up bottles that cost over $100 for us to drink. He's also a fan of Highlands scotches. While I love them and love him for letting me help him drink them... I just wouldn't pay that much for one because... in all honesty... they're just too smooth.

The Mad Crapper
10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Anything.

NewChief
10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh.. we were talking about bargains weren't we? Then I recommend Mclelland's for their scotches. The Islay is pretty damned good... and it cost like $20 a bottle which is cheaper than most decent blends:

http://www.forpeatsake.com/McClellands/McClellands+Islay/1

BigOlChiefsfan
10-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Couple of bargains that aren't in the local paper. Jameson's Irish whiskey on sale @ MDL Wine & Spirits @ 95th just W of Antioch - $17/750. They've also got the new (to us in the US) Guiness Foreign Extra on sale $8/4pk.

BigChiefFan
10-15-2010, 09:25 PM
I prefer Rum or Bourbon for mixing drinks. Crown, Jack Daniels, or Bookers for the bourbons.

Meyers or Captain Morgans for Rum.

Pawnmower
10-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Gin

Bombay Sapphire....

~30ish for a handle...Best Martini Gin

Tanqueray

~ A little less by the handle but a really good mixing gin. I wouldnt drink it straight like Bombay...But for Tonics is it really good. I prefer Bombay Blue even for tonics.

Rum

I really REALLY like Meyers Dark. I'm sure there are better ones like Flor De Cano but Myers has a special Place in my heart and it is pretty cheap. (30 ish for a handle?)

Chiefs Rool
10-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Vodka - for the value, Sky or Smirnoff.

Rum - if it's just regular rum, not much difference between McCormicks and Bacardi. But I'm not much of a rum drinker

Whiskey - Bushmills, some cheap Irish whiskey and I like it just fine. But Makers Mark when I feel like spending a little more money

Gin - nope

Scotch - the best scotch I ever had was Johnny Walker Blue, but I can't afford to spend $50+ on a bottle of scotch, so when I drink it it's usually Dewars or something around that price range.

BigChiefFan
10-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Gin

Bombay Sapphire....

~30ish for a handle...Best Martini Gin

Tanqueray

~ A little less by the handle but a really good mixing gin. I wouldnt drink it straight like Bombay...But for Tonics is it really good. I prefer Bombay Blue even for tonics.

Rum

I really REALLY like Meyers Dark. I'm sure there are better ones like Flor De Cano but Myers has a special Place in my heart and it is pretty cheap. (30 ish for a handle?)

Yeah, Meyers is great. After drinking that, it's laughable that Barcardi even calls itself Rum.

Pawnmower
10-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Meyers is great. After drinking that, it's laughable that Barcardi even calls itself Rum.

Amen brother, and Myers dark makes Bacardi 'dark' look like an Albino.

BigChiefFan
10-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Amen brother, and Myers dark makes Bacardi 'dark' look like an Albino.
Meyers mixed is killer, even for simple mixed drinks like Rum and Coke. The stuff is so good, I even sip on it straight from time to time.

Dayze
10-20-2010, 07:21 AM
http://www.nicks.com.au/upload/image/image_20104171731313812.jpg

The best I've ever had. Around $100 a 750ML, but ohhhhhhh so smooooooth!

I'll bet!

my brother in law received a bottle of Gran Patron for his 30th from a bunch of friends.

wow...that stuff was amazing. It too, however was north of $150/750ml.

FishingRod
10-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Some Friends and myself tried a little science experiment a few years back. We took the Cheep Vodka and poured it though a Britta filter over and Over. Much to our surprise the more we drank and the more we filtered and the more we drank the better it got. Strangely when we went back to try our new and improved product the next day ( and we were sober) it was again crap vodka.

Inspector
10-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Not sure what it's called but when we were kids gramma would just dip it out of the bathtub. It made my Cocoa Puffs taste funny though.

gblowfish
10-20-2010, 09:21 AM
http://www.bumwine.com/

Fish
10-20-2010, 09:28 AM
For the gin lovers..... this is the best tasting gin I've ever found. Pretty expensive, but I'm not kidding when I say you can literally sip this stuff at 110 proof. It's got hints of citrus and spicy saffron, and is very very smooth. I usually get 1 bottle, and it lasts me through the summer.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/695/354083015788315920.jpg

InChiefsHell
10-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Cheap - Evan Williams (honestly, the best bang for your buck, it'll blow Jim Beam out of the water...it's better than a lot of "Top Shelf".

Expensive - Knob Creek. Damn that is good stuff.

Close Runner Up - Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Can't wait to try the Woodford Reserve.

All I really drink is bourbon...so...

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Crown is pretty much the only liquor I drink.

gblowfish
10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Crown is pretty much the only liquor I drink.

Me too. Right out of the freezer. Yum.