PDA

View Full Version : Life A question about sump pumps

Fat Elvis
10-16-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm not a plumber, so I have a quick question about my sump pump. I've noticed that my sump pump hadn't been running lately so I went downstairs to check it out. When I got there, and lifted the lid to the little "well" area where the pump is located, I discovered that the area was completely dry. I mean bone dry. I've lived in other houses with sump pumps and I've never seen that before. Is this something that I should be worried about?

Thanks

Fat E

cdcox
10-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Probably not. Just means that the water table is down around your house, which is a great thing.

Now the question is why? Are you going through a dry spell? If not, obviously the water is being drained away from the foundation by another path. The only caveat is that maybe the water in draining through a giant sink hole that will swallow your whole house. Probably not.

Fat Elvis
10-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Probably not. Just means that the water table is down around your house, which is a great thing.

Now the question is why? Are you going through a dry spell? If not, obviously the water is being drained away from the foundation by another path. The only caveat is that maybe the water in draining through a giant sink hole that will swallow your whole house. Probably not.

Knowing my luck, there is a sink hole....:rolleyes: Our front yard's topography has changed a bit over the summer and we need to get the driveway mudjacked because there is now a space/void under one of the slabs and we don't want it to break. The area where the yard changed is extremely compacted and hard. I'm hoping the dry spell we've had caused that as well.

Zebedee DuBois
10-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not a plumber Spend a night in a Holiday Inn Express. Instant Knowledge!

sinkhole ...or... Gates of Hell!!! / evil laugh

Fairplay
10-16-2010, 11:25 AM
well.....it could be that.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnaVoTfkqa8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnaVoTfkqa8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

philfree
10-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Poor a bucket of water in it to see if it still kicks on.

PhilFree:arrow:

Hog Farmer
10-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Sinkholes are not fun. Been nice knowin ya.

Mr. Kotter
10-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Mine is usually dry, even during most wet times.....because we don't really need it. It's there for those once-every-50-year rain events, which seem to occur every ten years or so, heh. Anyway, good landscaping and drainage (any nearby projects lately?) could mean it's just dry, and the draining scheme is working well in your neighborhood. That would be good news.

HonestChieffan
10-16-2010, 03:33 PM
MY GOD!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO. You let all that Radon out!!!!!!

bevischief
10-16-2010, 04:32 PM
How much has it rained lately? Does your propriety have a spring?

Saulbadguy
10-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Plumbers/handy men type, is it safe to piss in the sump pump hole? My basement doesn't have a bathroom and sometimes i'm too lazy to go upstairs.

philfree
10-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Plumbers/handy men type, is it safe to piss in the sump pump hole? My basement doesn't have a bathroom and sometimes i'm too lazy to go upstairs.

It's no biggy as long as you don't mind an open sewer running through your yard. Every once in a while but I don't think I'd do it ever day.

PhilFree:arrow:

Phobia
10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Sure - why not? There might eventually become an odor problem but urine is sterile and it just pumps out into the yard.

Chaunceythe3rd
10-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Sure - why not? There might eventually become an odor problem but urine is sterile and it just pumps out into the yard.

So few people know that urine is sterile. You are obviously a learned man.

Hog Farmer
10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
So how many of you idiots are seriously thinking about drinking your own urine now ????

I know I am and if you're lying Phob you're gonna pay.

GloryDayz
10-16-2010, 09:09 PM
You can certainly put a hose in it and verify that it's working. But I'd also recommend that you water the foundation of your house too. Just keep it moist..

Craash
10-16-2010, 11:01 PM
In my experience, sump pumps suck.