PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 3rd and 2 call cost us the game

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Forget about the PI call on Flowers. We lost the game because our coaches decided it was more important to run some tricky bullshit pass when we had 230 yards rushing on that 3rd and 2. We should have just been prepared to run the ball twice and get the first down. Hell, we still should ran on 4th and 2 instead of punting. Haley has shown great in-game awareness, but that was not the case today.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
It was ballsy....and you don't complain when Haley is ballsy and goes for the risky plays elsewhere.

If we ran it and got stuffed because a run was predictable you'd bitch too.

Spott
10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
They haven't stopped the run all day yet they try that horseshit call and put the game in the hands of a shitty QB who fucks it up, of course.

</post>
10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
The thing is, that even if you fail with the run. It costs them either 30 seconds or a timeout. I think that significantly alters late game strategy.

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
It was ballsy....and you don't complain when Haley is ballsy and goes for the risky plays elsewhere.

Haley doesn't get a pass for bad calls just because the call was bold. We had 230 yards rushing and 6 ypc on the day. We needed two yards in two plays to get a first down. On top of that, our defense hadn't gotten a stop all half. It was not a smart coaching decision to throw that pass.

Barret
10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Ok the third and 2 would have worked if Cassel would have seen the guy in front of the CB running right. If you look at the reply he is focusing on Moaki but as you see it from the end zone camera there was someone opening running right and could have been a big gain.

Jerm
10-17-2010, 02:15 PM
It was an absolute abomination of a call...they couldn't stop us on the ground, run the goddamn ball.

Even if they stop us, it forces them to use a TO.

Ridiculous.

donkhater
Forget about the PI call on Flowers. We lost the game because our coaches decided it was more important to run some tricky bullshit pass when we had 230 yards rushing on that 3rd and 2. We should have just been prepared to run the ball twice and get the first down. Hell, we still should ran on 4th and 2 instead of punting. Haley has shown great in-game awareness, but that was not the case today.

The PI call didn't matter anyway since Johnson caught the ball. They declined the penalty.

Rather, it was the non PI on Johnson that mattered.

doomy3
It was an absolutely terrible playcall. We were gashing them with the run. Have to run there.

Micjones
Couldn't have said it better myself. Horrible decision.
Fuck the PI penalty. We lost the game after we refused to run the ball.
No way in HELL you give the ball back to Houston after we'd struggled to stop them all Half.

Run on 3rd & 2. Run again on 4th Down.

beer bacon
We didn't need a touchdown to win. We needed a first down. We should have ran the plays that gave us the greatest chance at converting that 3rd down. We didn't need to worry about getting a big gain or a TD.

Mecca
10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
With this team even if they know the run is coming, run it on 3rd and short. If you can run on 3rd and 8 you can damn well run on 3rd and 2.

BigMeatballDave
10-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Stupid thread. None of this matters if the D makes a fucking stop.

donkhater
10-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Ok the third and 2 would have worked if Cassel would have seen the guy in front of the CB running right. If you look at the reply he is focusing on Moaki but as you see it from the end zone camera there was someone opening running right and could have been a big gain.

Easy to say that from your armchair, but it was clear that Moeaki was they target for that play. The play call sucked and the pass sucked. Had he thrown it so Moeaki could catch it, the refs could have called PI as well. Alas....

BigMeatballDave
10-17-2010, 02:18 PM
With this team even if they know the run is coming, run it on 3rd and short. If you can run on 3rd and 8 you can damn well run on 3rd and 2.LMAO The Chiefs lose and here you are. GFY

KC kid
I agree. I do not like the call. I do not even have a problem with passing. My problem is the play they called. It is a gimmick play

MadMax

You get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frazod
10-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Stupid thread. None of this matters if the D makes a fucking stop.

None of it would have mattered if we'd RUN FOR TWO FUCKING YARDS.

Weis fucked us last week against Indy, and he fucked us again today. PLAY TO YOUR FUCKING STRENGTH WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. Jesus.

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Stupid thread. None of this matters if the D makes a ****ing stop.

It was pretty obvious our defense couldn't get a stop in the second half. It was also obvious that Houston could not stop our rushing attack. Despite not being able to get a stop on defense, our team was still very capable of winning that game. All we had to do was run the ball on 3rd down and then be prepared to run the ball on 4th down as well. We were going to get those two yards in two attempts. We were going to win if we stuck to our strengths as they clearly were in this game.

Bearcat
10-17-2010, 02:23 PM

It's a trend, and IMO that's the problem... you can't be bold for the sake of being bold. The pass on 4th and 2 against the Colts last week, the pass on 4th and 2 today followed by the pass to Vrabel for the TD, the 3rd down pass to Moeaki.... on one hand, they do a lot of RRP, yet when it seems overly obvious that it's a run or pass play, they always seem to do the opposite.

They're outsmarting themselves.

As far as the throw, it might have been a little overthrown regardless of what Moeaki does on that play, but Moeaki did pull up... bad call and bad execution.

BTAU
They only had 4 linebackers active for the game and one of them went out with an injury. Then you run for 220+ yards through out the game wearing down the defense so at the end of the game you can pound it down their throat. Only so you can get cutesy and throw that craptacular pass??!!!? **** that!!

BigMeatballDave
I agree. I do not like the call. I do not even have a problem with passing. My problem is the play they called. It is a gimmick playYeah. Not a good play call. Cassel still needs to execute, though. If he makes a good throw, we win and no one is complaining.

tk13
10-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I didn't hate the pass as much as the pass call. Tough play to get any QB running one way and throwing back the other.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
I thought the Pooch kick was a bad call too....why give a good offensive team good field posistion at midfield?? That was the drive Ward scored on i think?

Deberg_1990
10-17-2010, 02:28 PM
I didn't hate the pass as much as the pass call. Tough play to get any QB running one way and throwing back the other.

This, im guessin a higher pct. pass play could have been called?

BigMeatballDave
10-17-2010, 02:29 PM
None of it would have mattered if we'd RUN FOR TWO FUCKING YARDS.

Weis fucked us last week against Indy, and he fucked us again today. PLAY TO YOUR FUCKING STRENGTH WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. Jesus.Sorry, I will not blame the O. They put up 31 points. Should have been more than enough to win.

Gonzo
10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh No! We suck again!
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2010, 02:30 PM
If Cassel makes the throw to a receiver who got himself open with the body, you're lauding that same play call.

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
The highest percentage chance at a conversion was two runs. Did we need a touchdown? No. Did we even need a big gain? No. All we needed was a first down. What are the odds we we can get two yards in two rushes? Why do anything else? What's the point in doing anything else other then running it twice and getting the first down. It served no purpose to pass it there.

bevischief
10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
We are doomed...

MadMax
10-17-2010, 02:32 PM
None of it would have mattered if we'd RUN FOR TWO ****ING YARDS.

Weis ****ed us last week against Indy, and he ****ed us again today. PLAY TO YOUR ****ING STRENGTH WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. Jesus.

Yep, they seem to want Casshole to be the hero when he cannot be. Just run the fuckin ball, how hard is that?

DJ's left nut
The throw was there.

It was a call I wouldn't have made - but the play was there. Moeaki had inside position and a decent throw is a first down and major trouble for Houston.

Cassel failed to execute. Again.

We are what we saw today. The defense is still okay, but it's been giving up serious yardage all season - it was only a matter of time until some of those FGs became TDs. We still need a NT, we still need an upgrade at LB and we still need a goddamn quarterback.

RINGLEADER
None of it would have mattered if we'd RUN FOR TWO ****ING YARDS.

Weis ****ed us last week against Indy, and he ****ed us again today. PLAY TO YOUR ****ING STRENGTH WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. Jesus.

This times a couple hundred billion.

And the BS "you would have liked it if it works" doesn't absolve the terrible decision. 8 of our previous 10 runs went for 5 yards or more. So we pass it. They really think trying to trick the defense and put the ball in Cassel's hands is the best way to go? They could have put 3 games between the Chiefs and the rest of the AFC West and they pass it. For two yards. After running for more than 200 against a team with beat up linebackers. Just amazing. Just completely indescribably amazing.

Jerm
If Cassel makes the throw to a receiver who got himself open with the body, you're lauding that same play call.

I wouldn't.

Again, they couldn't stop our running game...you need two yards...run it.

Wayyyy too many things that could go wrong with that play.

Frazod
10-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Sorry, I will not blame the O. They put up 31 points. Should have been more than enough to win.

What fucking good does it do when you piss down your leg when it matters most?

We needed TWO YARDS. They had been unable to stop the run ALL DAY LONG. Our defense was obviously gassed, and every single call was going against us. You do not want to give them the ball back under any circumstance. I assume Weis has a good view of the game from his booth. If I know these things, WHY DIDN'T HE?

Call a running play. Even if you don't get it, you can at least take a few more seconds off the clock. Hell, I wouldn't have minded running on 4th and short, since it was a foregone conclusion that the D was fucked anyway.

RUN. THE. BALL. Simple.

:banghead:

Lbedrock1
10-17-2010, 02:33 PM

I have to agree with you. if we can get 2 yards on 2 run plays we would have deserved the loss. Cassle is unpredictable and should have not had the chance. He has to many overthrows or thorws behind the reciever. That 3 and 2 call lost us the game. the coaches should have been able to see our D was not stopping them.

MadMax
10-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Ya don't put the ball in dickbeater hands when you wanna win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Here are all our rushes in the second half. I am just putting how many yards each rush gained or lost.

RINGLEADER
10-17-2010, 02:35 PM
The throw was there.

It was a call I wouldn't have made - but the play was there. Moeaki had inside position and a decent throw is a first down and major trouble for Houston.

Cassel failed to execute. Again.

We are what we saw today. The defense is still okay, but it's been giving up serious yardage all season - it was only a matter of time until some of those FGs became TDs. We still need a NT, we still need an upgrade at LB and we still need a goddamn quarterback.

The defense sucked today. They gave up 35 points. Houston is a great offense but saying the defense was ok today is generous...

Frazod
10-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Here are all our rushes in the second half. I am just putting how many yards each rush gained or lost.

FUCK :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

siberian khatru
10-17-2010, 02:38 PM

That makes me weep.

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:39 PM
People talking about the defense not being to get a stop or Cassel not being able to execute should be agreeing with me. Yes, our defense could not get a stop. Yes, Cassel is not the best QB. In addition to these things, we had rushed for 230 yards and we had absolutely gashed Houston in the second half. Why take the risk and pass it? The reward is a big gain or a TD, but we don't need either of those things to win.

We are already winning, and there is just a little over two minutes left. All we need is a first down, or possibly two. Why do anything else but run the ball? Why would a coach decide it is a smart thing to pass the ball at that point? I don't understand the value in taking that risk. At that point in the game, the reward for completing the pass is not greater then converting it on the ground. Ramble on.

RINGLEADER
10-17-2010, 02:44 PM

So basically there is something like a 92% chance of converting if this trend continues...

Just stupid...

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 02:46 PM
So basically there is something like a 92% chance of converting if this trend continues...

Just stupid...

At that point we should have been in the mindset that we would run it on 4th down if we needed to. The only reason we shouldn't have gone for it on 4th down is if we lost yards on 3rd down. We had two shots to get two yards. We only had two out of 19 carries in the second half that didn't go for at least two yards.

RINGLEADER
10-17-2010, 02:50 PM
At that point we should have been in the mindset that we would run it on 4th down if we needed to. The only reason we shouldn't have gone for it on 4th down is if we lost yards on 3rd down. We had two shots to get two yards. We only had two out of 19 carries in the second half that didn't go for at least two yards.

Agree.

I thought for the first 59 minutes of the game that Weis and Haley finally understood that Cassel should only be called on when a running play can't get it done. Then they do this BS that everyone (including Houston) knew was coming. Stupid is as stupid does.

scho63
10-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Cassel throws the ball at the numbers and Moeki catches the ball again just like he has done 4 or 5 times to bail out Cassel's shitty throws.

Cassel's throw was HORRIBLE. Everytime he is asked to make a play, he FAILS.

I was thrown out of a bar today that I've been going to for years because for the first time in my life, I threw a glass into the TV screen after the Texans scored.

Shit happens

LaChapelle
10-17-2010, 02:53 PM
THe D plays like this against the Broncos
and Orton will be shitting McPumpFist sized
chunks of Chiefs turds

ILikeBigTiddys
10-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Where's Croyle

donkhater
10-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Cassel throws the ball at the numbers and Moeki catches the ball again just like he has done 4 or 5 times to bail out Cassel's shitty throws.

I was thrown out of a bar today that I've been going to for years because for the first time in my life, I threw a glass into the TV screen after the Texans scored.

Shit happens

Not true. Cassel made a lot of good throws today. He certainly isn't good, but to say he fails every time is just emotion running rampant.

chiefzilla1501
10-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Haley called a lot of ballsy passes on 3rd and 2 run situations. And converted. Hard to blame him for one that didn't work out.

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Haley called a lot of ballsy passes on 3rd and 2 run situations. And converted. Hard to blame him for one that didn't work out.

Really? Hard to blame him for losing the game? I don't find it that difficult.

donkhater
10-17-2010, 03:05 PM

There are higher percentage plays, though. Besides a straight up run, how about an end around to McCluster? Naked bootleg? Just a normal pattern to the TE?

Puzzling.

Count Zarth
10-17-2010, 03:07 PM
The debate about this interesting.

Certainly there's merit to both sides.

In fact, if you really want to get down to it, on the last two plays of our attempted clock-killing drive, they put the ball in the hands of Mike Cox and Tony Moeaki.

Was that smart, or do you just hand the ball to Charles/Jones three times and hope they get 7 yards? Jones got 3 yards on first down.

RINGLEADER
10-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Not true. Cassel made a lot of good throws today. He certainly isn't good, but to say he fails every time is just emotion running rampant.

I think the caveat was that when he is required to make a big play he fails. We would have gotten those yards if we had run two plays with either Thomas Jones or Jamaal Charles. And if we didn't then we would have saved Houston the time it took to gain those 30 yards.

Count Zarth
10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
I was personally hoping we'd call a naked bootleg at some point.

I thought it would have resulted in Bono Redux.

keg in kc
10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
They didn't just lose the game on that 3rd and 2, they also lost it when the kicked that field goal late instead of finding a way to get it into the end zone. Converting in either of those situations would have been huge.

RINGLEADER
10-17-2010, 03:11 PM

In fact, if you really want to get down to it, on the last two plays of our attempted clock-killing drive, they put the ball in the hands of Mike Cox and Tony Moeaki.

Was that smart, or do you just hand the ball to Charles/Jones three times and hope they get 7 yards? Jones got 3 yards on first down.

We had 230 yards or whatever they ended up with. Run-run-run-run.

kcfanXIII
the defense played one good half, and one really shitty half. aside from a couple of series, cassel played a decent game. i tend to agree with the thought that 31 points should win you a ball game. chief's defense caved under the pressure, and the texans executed very well during the second half. i'm upset with the mistakes by the players, coaches, and officials don't get me wrong, but i don't think any single person or play is to blame for the loss. its def a team loss.

ILikeBigTiddys
Weis needs to dial it up a notch. :)

Jerm
10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I was personally hoping we'd call a naked bootleg at some point.

I thought it would have resulted in Bono Redux.

TBH if you're going to pass it on 3rd down...I would think something like that would be the call.

That or maybe a screen...the route Moeaki ran just didn't seem like a high % play.

doomy3
10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
The play is at about the 1:45 mark in the video below. Looks to me like Cassel is making an over the shoulder throw to Moeaki and when he throws it Moeaki is running full speed. For some reason, he pulls up and tries to jump for it instead of running out his route.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b654e7/Chiefs-vs-Texans-highlights

Bwana
10-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, stupid call. The Texans couldn't stop our run the entire game and someone calls for a pass play. Someone needs a late night visit from Shawn Smith for a cock twister, for making that call.

EyePod
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Why is that haley's call. Weis is the play caller. If we run, they have to use a timeout or lose 30 seconds till the 2 minute warning. Then they only have 1 time out on that drive and they don't throw anything up the middle since they need to be careful to save the TO for a FG.

Pawnmower
I don't think the call was bad, I thought it was a good call with poor execution.

DeezNutz
Yeah, that's an overthrow.

beer bacon
10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't think the call was bad, I thought it was a good call with poor execution.

Was it a higher percentage play for the first down than running the ball twice to get two yards?

EyePod
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM

I'd be fine with just running it. But even if we threw a short slant route. Bowe had several of those. Moeaki on a cross route would have been OK too. We didnt' need a deep play. We needed 2 yards.

Had we run the ball, they use a TO and only have one and probably would have settle for a FG since they would have had a lot less options going down the field.

Frazod
10-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Why is that haley's call. Weis is the play caller. If we run, they have to use a timeout or lose 30 seconds till the 2 minute warning. Then they only have 1 time out on that drive and they don't throw anything up the middle since they need to be careful to save the TO for a FG.

THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

I can't believe this is even being debated. :shake:

That call will be one of those that sticks with me, just like when that gutless douche Vermeil didn't go for two at the end of regulation of that game with the Patriots. Everybody knew the defense would fail, except the guy calling the play.

TRR
10-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Shit happens

Wow....one your take is idiotic. Two your even more of an idiot for throwing a glass at a TV. I hope the bar prosecutes...
Posted via Mobile Device

EyePod
10-17-2010, 03:32 PM
The play is at about the 1:45 mark in the video below. Looks to me like Cassel is making an over the shoulder throw to Moeaki and when he throws it Moeaki is running full speed. For some reason, he pulls up and tries to jump for it instead of running out his route.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b654e7/Chiefs-vs-Texans-highlights

Watching that play makes me even more angry. If Cassel had just tossed it, we get the 1st down easy.

Pawnmower
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Was it a higher percentage play for the first down than running the ball twice to get two yards?

I dont believe we wouldve gone for it on 4th there.

The real question is was it a higher % than one run for two yards when everyone thought we were going to run. I think so.

EyePod
10-17-2010, 03:34 PM
THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

I can't believe this is even being debated. :shake:

That call will be one of those that sticks with me, just like when that gutless douche Vermeil didn't go for two at the end of regulation of that game with the Patriots. Everybody knew the defense would fail, except the guy calling the play.

I was talking in the stream chat, and said I have faith in our running game before that drive. And then we go and try to pass it again. Jesus H. Christ.

Frazod
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I was talking in the stream chat, and said I have faith in our running game before that drive. And then we go and try to pass it again. Jesus H. Christ.

Sonofabitch did the same thing last week, too.

EyePod
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I dont believe we wouldve gone for it on 4th there.

The real question is was it a higher % than one run for two yards when everyone thought we were going to run. I think so.

I completely agree that we punt the ball. But the texans would have had 1 less time out and would have played it safer going down the field with quick outs and the like. No throws down the middle like the one for 15 yards to Andre. Ugh. We lost this game for ourselves. We've come to expect Hali to get held every play with no call.

Barret
10-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Silly question but, Could this be part of the plan for evaluation of the QB position? Normally everyone says to run the ball and get the first down, but what if the coaches are trying to test Cassel?

Logic dictates that the Chiefs are not making a Super Bowl run this year. IF they do make the playoffs it would possibly be a 1 and done.

Also you have to make a decision on your QB before next draft since he would be getting a roster bonus. Cassel is getting a huge roster bonus, so you believe he has enough pieces to play with now so you have to see him play.

Can he manage a game? kind of I guess
Can he not turn over the ball? ok he is not throwing interceptions or fumbling.
Can he stand tall in the 4th quarter and you have confidence in him winning? Nope

You have to find out all these things about your QB. I think that is why they are going for a lot of this 4th down and 3rd down and short passing. Yes it pisses fans off when the Chiefs dont win but if you have to evaluate your QB and put him in positions to take command. If you dont do that and say the Chiefs won the game today. Everyone is REALLY happy with Cassel not screwing the pooch. That does not give you a definite idea who your QB is and if he can really win a game.

Tom_A_Hawk
10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Silly question but, Could this be part of the plan for evaluation of the QB position? Normally everyone says to run the ball and get the first down, but what if the coaches are trying to test Cassel?

Logic dictates that the Chiefs are not making a Super Bowl run this year. IF they do make the playoffs it would possibly be a 1 and done.

Also you have to make a decision on your QB before next draft since he would be getting a roster bonus. Cassel is getting a huge roster bonus, so you believe he has enough pieces to play with now so you have to see him play.

Can he manage a game? kind of I guess
Can he not turn over the ball? ok he is not throwing interceptions or fumbling.
Can he stand tall in the 4th quarter and you have confidence in him winning? Nope

You have to find out all these things about your QB. I think that is why they are going for a lot of this 4th down and 3rd down and short passing. Yes it pisses fans off when the Chiefs dont win but if you have to evaluate your QB and put him in positions to take command. If you dont do that and say the Chiefs won the game today. Everyone is REALLY happy with Cassel not screwing the pooch. That does not give you a definite idea who your QB is and if he can really win a game.

that is a fair take I think........but what we know is you can't put the ball in Cassel's hands to win the game.......ever.......we continue to lean on the D and special teams. Speaking of special...McFlustered hasn't stepped up lateley.