PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Denver Area Chiefs Fans

Mr. Arrowhead
10-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Well I am going to make my first trip to Denver to see Chiefs/Broncos game on Nov. 14th. Any tips? Specifically asking about hotels, should we stay by the stadium or is it better we stay a little bit away from the stadium? What exactly is there to do in Denver, entertainment wise?

Rain Man
10-17-2010, 11:56 PM
stay downtown. there's only one hotel near the evil lair and it's not overly nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Arrowhead
10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
what parts of denver should i stay away from?

DaFace
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
How long are you in town? That makes a big difference on entertainment suggestions.

As for areas of town to avoid, it's really a pretty safe place in the touristy areas. I don't know that I would go walking through some areas at 3am, but if you're downtown, you'll be fine.

Donger
10-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Commerce City. East of downtown isn't particularly pleasant (Colfax).

Hog Farmer
10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
If you see a sign that says "Slum" turn around fast

Coogs
10-19-2010, 10:48 AM
We stayed at the Embassy Suites in August. It was very nice, right off of I-70, and is pretty close to a mall as well that contains the Pro Bass Shop if you are into that kind of thing.

http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/DENARES-Embassy-Suites-Denver-Aurora-Colorado/index.do

We have also stayed on the South end of Denver right off I-25 on County Line Road several times. Several nice motels around the Park Meadows Mall.

Rain Man
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
The nicest area is near the Cherry Creek Mall, but it's basically just a bunch of shopping and restaurants. Downtown is where most of the touristy stuff is, and I think it's pretty nice there too. A little quieter on Sundays, but if I was you I'd stay downtown. Anything west of I-25 is going to be kind of boring unless you go all the way out to Golden.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
How long are you in town? That makes a big difference on entertainment suggestions.

As for areas of town to avoid, it's really a pretty safe place in the touristy areas. I don't know that I would go walking through some areas at 3am, but if you're downtown, you'll be fine.

leaving from Wichita early Friday Morning, so we should be there Friday night, and are staying til Monday morning.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
How's Englewood? I found a drury inn in Englewood, and it says its a couple miles away from the stadium, but would i have to travel a ways to find entertainment on the other days im staying?

Donger
10-19-2010, 11:16 AM
How's Englewood? I found a drury inn in Englewood, and it says its a couple miles away from the stadium, but would i have to travel a ways to find entertainment on the other days im staying?

It's fine, but there's not much to do there unless you like to go shopping. I wouldn't call it a "couple of miles" from the stadium. It's a good 25 minute drive.

DaFace
10-19-2010, 11:29 AM

Your biggest entertainment options in the area are going to be:

Anything in the mountains. It doesn't really matter where you stay for this - it'll be a decent drive (at least an hour or so) to get anywhere. You could go up to Rocky Mountain National Park, for example, but that would basically be your entire day on Saturday. You could head down to Colorado Springs and check out Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and possibly Cave of the Winds. You could head up to Idaho Springs just to check out a quaint mountain town. The possibilities are endless.
16th Street Mall - It's just a shopping area, but there are lots of nice places to shop, eat, etc. There's nice nightlife down in the LoDo area, and quite a few good microbreweries.
Cultural Attractions - We have a decent zoo, natural history museum (Denver Museum of Nature and Science), art museum, and aquarium. (Well, the aquarium is borderline on decent, but it's kind of fun for a couple hours if you don't mind paying the $15ish admission fee.) The zoo and DMNS are east of downtown a little ways, and the others are downtown. You can also visit the Denver Mint if you sign up early (downtown).
Sporting events - I'm not sure what's going on that weekend, but there are a lot of sports around here other than football. If nothing else, you could make the trip up to Boulder to see CU play Iowa State.

Basically, most of the attractions are located downtown, but if you're looking for lower prices, you'll be better off being a little ways away from downtown (like the Drury you mentioned). I don't think the drive's that bad, but it will be at least 15-20 minutes to get to downtown, and probably longer to get to the stadium (in traffic). If you pick that hotel, I'd consider riding the Light Rail (check out www.rtd-denver.com) to the stadum. There's a stop right by your hotel.

I live up north, and there are a few hotels around 120th & I-25, and I think there are some around US 36 & Wadsworth. Both of those areas are near some decent shopping areas, but those will be more of your traditional suburban strip mall types of things rather than cool downtown shopping.

Hope that helps.

Mr. Arrowhead
10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
thanks guys, also anybody planning any special meet up or anything before the game?

ClevelandBronco
10-19-2010, 11:38 AM

I'd recommend that you avoid the football stadium.

DaFace
10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks guys, also anybody planning any special meet up or anything before the game?

I'm debating on whether not to go, but if I do, I'll definitely let you know.

Rain Man
10-19-2010, 11:49 AM

It's a big suburb. If you have a hobby of observing minivans it's the place to be. That said, it's on the highway so it's perhaps a half-hour further from any interesting stuff.

The key is what you want to do Saturday. If you want to go to the mountains, I'd recommend driving to Breckenridge. It's about an hour west of downtown, and I think you could get back Saturday night without major traffic problems. DaFace or others may have a better feel for that than me. Georgetown is another pleasant little mountain town that's only about 40 minutes west. You can also do some nice drives down near Morrison on the highway that are almost in town, and are very attractive.

If you're into the mountain stuff, either stay in Golden and plan to drive 20 to 30 minutes east to the game or stay downtown.

If you want nice downtown attractions and culture (plays, symphony, museums) stay downtown and you're very close to the stadium. Like DaFace said, I think that light rail goes there from downtown, which would be really convenient.

If you want a nice upscale semi-residential small shopping experience, stay in Cherry Creek and drive 20 minutes west to the game.

DaFace
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM
If you want to go to the mountains, I'd recommend driving to Breckenridge. It's about an hour west of downtown, and I think you could get back Saturday night without major traffic problems. DaFace or others may have a better feel for that than me. Georgetown is another pleasant little mountain town that's only about 40 minutes west. You can also do some nice drives down near Morrison on the highway that are almost in town, and are very attractive.

I don't have a whole lot to add. Breck's a nifty town, though by mid-November it will be in the early stages of the ski season, so it could be a little crowded. I wouldn't think that crowd levels would be too bad at that point in the season, but getting down from the mountains on a weekend evening is pretty much always bad (so add 50% to your estimated drive time just in case).

I think I'd probably stick to Georgetown or Idaho springs if you're just looking for a quick getaway. There's a nifty railroad in Georgetown that I've always wanted to ride, but I don't know if they close for the season at some point. Anything further than those two will be more of a full-day trip.

Donger
10-19-2010, 02:22 PM
I think the cog railway in the Springs now is year-round. That way, you could avoid the traffic on I-70. Make no mistake: it can be very bad.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I'll be there for the game. I'm staying with a friend in Aurora.