PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ATHAN - Cassel Proves His Worth

Count Zarth
10-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Hell yeah. Stud franchise QB.

http://kan.scout.com/2/1012917.html

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Cassel Proves His Worth </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/86/865364.jpg
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table width="60%" bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap"> By Nicholas Athan
Warpaint Illustrated Publisher
Posted Oct 17, 2010
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

| More (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=250&pub=scout)

It had to happen sooner or later. The Chiefsí defense would resemble the one weíve seen in Kansas City the last decade, and quarterback Matt Cassel would shine.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"> But this is a team loss, and itís a bitter one that could change the fortunes of this football team for better or for worse. Still the star on Sunday was KCís embattled quarterback.

There is no question that the Chiefs had this game. They had it up 21-7 in the middle of the third quarter, but couldnít put the hammer down. This game is a microcosm of the Chiefs coaches trying to be too fancy.

The game plan was solid running the ball up and down the field. That opened up the passing lanes for Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5024960). But despite completing 20 of 29 passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns, Cassel couldnít deliver in either of the Chiefs final two possessions.

Though he made leaps and bounds, everyone should be satisfied that against a terrible defense, he can make all the throws. It helped that wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5024954) caught everything thrown his way.

Bowe found the end zone twice and made some key third down catches to shake off last weekís terrible performance against the Colts. Both players redeemed themselves mightily.

But everyone needs to back-off Cassel. Itís clear that the coaching staff wasnít in sync for parts of the game. That was the true culprit in the Chiefs 35-31 loss.

In fact, there were moments when Cassel was the best quarterback on the field. For two plus quarters, he was far better than his counterpart for Houston, Matt Schaub (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307485).

In the end, though, Shaub made the plays and Cassel didnít. But like I said, I canít stress enough that this game is at the egos of the coordinators, special teams included.

What was Steve Hoffman doing kicking short kick-offs? His units have been stellar all season long. Why give the Texans a short field. Twice that happened and both times the Texans scored quick touchdowns.

As for Weis, up 21-14 late in the third quarter with four downs to score from the six-yard line, he called two pass plays that failed. They werenít even close to being completions. Had he ran the ball three times, the Chiefs likely score seven points instead of three.

And that was the difference in the game.

On the critical 3rd and 2 call with just over two minutes left in the fourth quarter, Weis put the ball in Casselís hands on a sellout blitz by the Texans that resulted in an errant pass to rookie tight end Tony Moeaki (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5026693). All he needed to do was run the ball twice if need be and the game would have been over. <table align="right" width="220" cellspacing="7"><tbody><tr><td>http://media.scout.com/media/image/86/865365.jpg
Cassel was nearly flawless on Sunday.
Getty Images </td></tr></tbody></table>

Iím not going to blast Cassel for missing the mark on that throw or for his sack on the last play of the game. He did his job Sunday. For the first time this season, he looked like a starting quarterback.

Now looking forward the Chiefs can exploit a week schedule ahead and remain in charge of the AFC West the remainder of the season.

But they have to start winning again. Through five games the Chiefs stand 3-2. Theyíve played the toughest part of their schedule and Cassel appears on a track of respectability.

And based on his play Sunday, that should be good enough to get the Chiefs to ten wins. Right now that doesnít carry much weight considering the way this team lost on Sunday. But this team is still in great shape.

Still, knowing the competitive nature of Cassel, I bet he feels he didnít do enough to win this game for his team. The danger in losing a game like this one is that he doesnít take the positives away from a solid performance.

Looking ahead this is going to be the most important week in Todd Haleyís tenure. He has to be very careful in how he handles Cassel.

The rest of the team will be OK, though it appears that Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=5024971) wonít be sleeping much this week after the pass interference penalty that didnít go his way late in the game.

But Romeo Crennel, who called a horrific game, and Weis, who also has to question his late game play-calling, will be able to get things right.

That, however, wonít help Cassel. Heís the key to the Chiefs entire 2010 fortunes. And with the AFC West sitting at 2-4 on the season, Kansas City rolled up consecutive losses at Indy and Houston while not losing any ground in the standings.

So they played with house chips and lost most of them. But I can tell you that neither the Colts nor the Texans want anything to do with the Chiefs should they meet in the playoffs in January.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Someone please kill this motherfucker.

Silock
10-18-2010, 12:14 AM
WHO EDITS HIS FUCKING ARTICLES?

I mean, asinine content aside, high schoolers have better grammar and punctuation than this guy.

johnny961
10-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Wow. And Athan just got paid to write this?

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2010, 12:15 AM
LMAO If it were possible to die of stupid, Athan should be on his death bed...

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-18-2010, 12:19 AM
LMAO If it were possible to die of stupid, Athan should be on his death bed...

If it were possible to die of stupid, his thoughts would be smallpox pre-Jenner.

Count Zarth
10-18-2010, 12:33 AM
I agree with the title.

He proved he was not worth $15 million.

Chocolate Hog
10-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Take your bullshit spam somewhere else you contradicting douchebag

BigRock
10-18-2010, 12:37 AM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7862/fansshocked.gif

Thig Lyfe
10-18-2010, 01:01 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/k1ugx4.gif

FAX
10-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Damn. My brain is suffering from internal bleeding after reading that ...

.... ??? ...

... wait just a ding dang minute ... wasn't this dumbass calling for Croyle last week?

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-18-2010, 03:02 AM
Someone please kill this motherfucker.

ROFL

BryanBusby
10-18-2010, 03:07 AM
Someone needs to edit that Haley "dumbass QB" .gif to "dumbass writer"

okcchief
10-18-2010, 08:20 AM
How is it possible for a person to change their opinion so much in one week? You go from Croyle must start to Cassel proves his worth? Talk about a knee jerk reactionist.

Hays
10-18-2010, 08:29 AM
"Now looking forward the Chiefs can exploit a week schedule ahead and remain in charge of the AFC West the remainder of the season. "

haha week schedule!!!

InChiefsHell
10-18-2010, 10:16 AM
GoChiefs,

I'm trying to figure out why you post Athan's articles here. I mean, the take he has isn't brilliant, the writing and lack of editing makes the article feel like something my son in High School could write, and it contradicts everything he said last week. Is this supposed to be comic relief or are you on board with his writing?

LaChapelle
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Cassel's first trip to MH
13/24 207 1 Int 0 TD

Sanchise's first trip to MH
17/30 198 2 Int 1 TD

Matt was the right choice -next Athan@WPI

FAX
10-18-2010, 11:07 AM
That's week sauce, Mr. LaChapelle.

FAX

Count Zarth
10-18-2010, 11:12 AM
GoChiefs,

I'm trying to figure out why you post Athan's articles here. I mean, the take he has isn't brilliant, the writing and lack of editing makes the article feel like something my son in High School could write, and it contradicts everything he said last week. Is this supposed to be comic relief or are you on board with his writing?

ATHAN is the new Whitlock. His insightful and thoughtful writing provokes reaction like no other writer who covers the Chiefs. He has name recognition and you never know what you might get from him. He's as unpredictable as Todd Haley, and kinda looks like him, too.

Love him or hate him, you gotta read ATHAN!

Frosty
10-18-2010, 11:14 AM

I can never make it past the first paragraph. The dumbassery displayed is too strong.:shake:

FAX
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
ATHAN is the new Whitlock. His insightful and thoughtful writing provokes reaction like no other writer who covers the Chiefs. He has name recognition and you never know what you might get from him. He's as unpredictable as Todd Haley, and kinda looks like him, too.

ROFL

Thanks to you, Mr. GoChiefs, I read him every weak, unfortunately.

FAX

Count Zarth
10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
ROFL

Thanks to you, Mr. GoChiefs, I read him every weak, unfortunately.

FAX

That's good, Mr. FAX.

You read Athan when you are weak to make yourself STRONG again!

boogblaster
10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
he should be ashamed .......

Mr. Laz
10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
nah ... Cassel didn't prove his worth yesterday anymore than it was his fault the chiefs lost. Cassel was a solid game manager type guy who made some throws but that's it. If the Defense and Coaches don't shit the bed, we win but that doesn't prove Cassel is 'the guy' yet.

If Cassel continues to perform like he did yesterday then maybe he becomes a Trent Green type guy and that's good.

I haven't seen anything that indicates we shouldn't continue to look for a QBoTF.

Frosty
10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
The difference between Schaub and Cassel was striking. A franchise QB puts the team on his shoulders when trailing in the 4th and makes plays to win. A game manager craps in his hat when asked to make a play to seal a win in the 4th.

FAX
10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
nah ... Cassel didn't prove his worth yesterday anymore than it was his fault the chiefs lost. Cassel was a solid game manager type guy who made some throws but that's it. If the Defense and Coaches don't shit the bed, we win but that doesn't prove Cassel is 'the guy' yet.

If Cassel continues to perform like he did yesterday then maybe he becomes a Trent Green type guy and that's good.

I haven't seen anything that indicates we shouldn't continue to look for a QBoTF.

That's the struggle I struggle with during this struggle, Mr. Laz.

Part of me wants Cassclam to succeed because that's good for the team. But, another part of me wants him to fail because it would force the Chiefs to pursue other options next year. Then, there's part of me that wants to fart real loud every time he takes a snap. And, there's part of me that wants to bottle those farts and send them via priority mail to Pioli.

FAX

FAX
10-18-2010, 11:27 AM
The difference between Schaub and Cassel was striking. A franchise QB puts the team on his shoulders when trailing in the 4th and makes plays to win. A game manager craps in his hat when asked to make a play to seal a win in the 4th.

Well said, Mr. arc. That's the issue in a nutshell.

FAX

Donger
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I wonder if Athan was/is aware that his headline actually has two possibilities?

Oh, and he writes like a 12 year old. A stupid 12 year old.

DaFace
10-18-2010, 11:36 AM
What I want to know is how the hell Nick still has a "job."

Cave Johnson
10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Obligatory "Bagdad Bob" photo...

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
The difference between Schaub and Cassel was striking. A franchise QB puts the team on his shoulders when trailing in the 4th and makes plays to win. A game manager craps in his hat when asked to make a play to seal a win in the 4th.This x 1000. There are some around here that cant quite grasp this.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-18-2010, 11:56 PM

No, I actually read Whitlock. With Athan, I allow others to read him, find the usual dumbassery, then condense it down to post-level so that I do not HAVE to read that sonofabitch.

:clap:

johnny961
10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Damn. My brain is suffering from internal bleeding after reading that ...

.... ??? ...

... wait just a ding dang minute ... wasn't this dumbass calling for Croyle last week?

FAX

Thats what I thought too. Last week he was calling for Croyle.

pr_capone
10-19-2010, 12:18 AM
What I want to know is how the hell Nick still has a "job."

I want to know how the mods have let this affront to the word filters (nicholas athan vs nick athan) to continue.

:D