PDA

View Full Version : Football Do officials' roles in football impact your enjoyment of the game?

DaFace
10-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Just to clarify, this thread is not meant to be a discussion of the results of any specific game yesterday (or any day). There are clearly plenty of threads where we can discuss the officials' specific calls, so I'll leave that discussion to those threads.

My question is more about whether the fact that officiating can have such a huge impact on the outcome of game impacts your overall enjoyment of the game of football itself.

I used to be a one-sport kind of guy - watching the NFL and basically nothing else. However, in the past few years, I've gotten more and more into some of the other major sports (most notably hockey, baseball, and soccer - I still can't stand basketball). While the officials in other sports do still play a role, it seems very rare that a single call in a game can alter the game in those sports as much as they do in football. It's kind of refreshing, and it honestly makes me like football a little less and the other sports more.

I just hate it when a team loses/wins a game that everyone can point to a single call as being a major deciding factor. It ruins my day far worse than an outright loss where the team gets beaten soundly. At least then, the blame is on the team rather than on an official's opinion.

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/may/Ehsan-Haddadi.jpg

Mecca
10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
It can happen in hockey, you give a team a power play at a critical time you can essentially decide a game as an official.

DaFace
10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
It can happen in hockey, you give a team a power play at a critical time you can essentially decide a game as an official.

I'd argue that a power play is never as crippling as most NFL calls, but that's certainly debatable. I think it also makes a difference that other sports have so many more games, so a key penalty doesn't have near the impact on the entire season.

KCtotheSB
10-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Hell, baseball has a freakin' imaginery box on which umpires decide whether a batter is out or able to take a base. While I'm sure there's a guideline on how that box should be set at, the specific parameters of that box are still up to the discretion of the ump.

Mecca
10-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I'd argue that a power play is never as crippling as most NFL calls, but that's certainly debatable. I think it also makes a difference that other sports have so many more games, so a key penalty doesn't have near the impact on the entire season.

I don't think bad hockey officiating really comes into play until the playoffs, half the league makes the playoffs so I don't think they are really looking to hose anyone repeatedly there.

4th and Long
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Do officials' roles in football impact your enjoyment of the game?
I'm going to answer your question with a question of my own.

How can an official's role in football, or any other sporting event for that matter, not impact your enjoyment of the game?

Pants
10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't know. I felt like the ref definitely affected the outcome of the World Cup in South Africa.

DaFace
10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm going to answer your question with a question of my own.

How can an official's role in football, or any other sporting event for that matter, not impact your enjoyment of the game?

Well, I guess the question might better be clarified by amending "...relative to their impact on other sports" or something like that.

PunkinDrublic
10-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I think in the NFL a good disciplined team can overcome bad calls. The Refs definately screwed the Chiefs victory in TB a couple of years ago by flagging TG for a phantom pass interference call that would have iced the game for us.

The NBA refs are out of control and IMO are a big reason for the leagues decline. They make no apologies on who they favor as far as giving superstars questionable calls and David Stern will never hold them accountable.

ClevelandBronco
10-18-2010, 12:14 PM

I used to think that NHL referee Mick McGeough called too close a game against the Avs, but I soon discovered that every other fan base I checked thought that he was screwing them as well.

4th and Long
10-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Bad calls, and good calls alike, impact my enjoyment of any sporting event.

You may as well ask us other tough questions such as, "Do the foul poles affect your enjoyment of baseball?"

or

"Do the end zone pylons affect your enjoyment of football?"

or

"Do the backboards affect your enjoyment of basketball?"

All of these things, officials included, are a part of the game. They can have an impact on the enjoyment of the game.

Mecca
10-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I think in the NFL a good disciplined team can overcome bad calls. The Refs definately screwed the Chiefs victory in TB a couple of years ago by flagging TG for a phantom pass interference call that would have iced the game for us.

The NBA refs are out of control and IMO are a big reason for the leagues decline. They make no apologies on who they favor as far as giving superstars questionable calls and David Stern will never hold them accountable.

Do you mean when they used the Dallas/Heat finals to basically try to make Dwayne Wade a star by any means necessary?

PunkinDrublic
10-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Do you mean when they used the Dallas/Heat finals to basically try to make Dwayne Wade a star by any means necessary?

Yes. That was more of the refs giving Mark Cuban the finger than anything else. How do you defend someone when you know the refs are blowing the whistle everytime a defender comes within 3 foot of the player?

Frazod
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I primarily root for three teams - the Chiefs, the Tigers in football and the St. Louis Cardinals. Obviously none are big market teams, and only one has true national superstar power. Luckily for me, Albert Pujols isn't going to get shafted on a call any more than St. Manning is.

Ironically, the Cardinals are the only team listed above who have won a championship in recent memory.

If you don't have a big name or a big market, it seems pretty obvious that you can expect to not get any breaks thrown your way.

cdcox
10-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I recognize that bad calls are part of the game. Championship teams are going to have to overcome them.

What hurts my enjoyment of the game is instant replay review. It used to be that on a game changing play, you could get all excited right away. Now you have to wait to see if it will be challenged and what the outcome of the play is. By the time the play is confirmed, the spontaneous of the celebration is often muted. I'd rather live with the referee errors and just play the dang game.