PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL may start suspending players for violent hits

Donger
10-18-2010, 12:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101018/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_helmet_to_helmet_hits

NEW YORK Ė The NFL could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits, vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press on Monday.

A day after several scary collisions in Sunday's games, Anderson acknowledged the league might need to do more than fining players to prevent such hits.

"There's strong testimonial for looking readily at evaluating discipline, especially in the areas of egregious and elevated dangerous hits," he said in a phone interview. "Going forward there are certain hits that occurred that will be more susceptible to suspension. There are some that could bring suspensions for what are flagrant and egregious situations."

Anderson said the NFL could make changes in its approach immediately, with Commissioner Roger Goodell having the final say. League officials will consult with the union, but he didn't expect any opposition.

The Eagles' DeSean Jackson and the Falcons' Dunta Robinson were knocked out of their game Sunday after a frightening helmet-to-helmet collision, while Steelers linebacker James Harrison sidelined two Browns players with head injuries after jarring hits.

Anderson wouldn't speculate on how any players would be punished for hits from Sunday's games.

"The fundamentally old way of wrapping up and tackling seems to have faded away," he said. "A lot of the increase is from hits to blow guys up. That has become a more popular way of doing it. Yes, we are concerned they are getting away from the fundamentals of tackling, and maybe it has been coached that way. We're going to have to look into talking to our coaches."

Retired safety Rodney Harrison, now an analyst for NBC, was fined more than $200,000 during his career and was suspended for one game in 2002 for a helmet-to-helmet hit.

"You didn't get my attention when you fined me 5 grand, 10 grand, 15 grand," he said during the "Sunday Night Football" broadcast. "You got my attention when I got suspended and I had to get away from my teammates and I disappointed my teammates from not being there. But you have to suspend these guys. These guys are making millions of dollars."

Fritz88
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I pray they lay it on fucking James Harrison.

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Well, lets just abolish defense.

Frazod
10-18-2010, 12:48 PM
If you hit St. Manning too hard, they'll just give you a lifetime ban.

Pestilence
10-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Welcome to your new NFL!

Two hand touch football FTW!

Rain Man
10-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Both of Harrison's hits seemed like they were aimed at the head, but Robinson and Jackson just ran into each other. That one was scary-looking, particularly for Jackson. Hope he's okay.

Jim Jones
10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Smart move, IMO. Helmet to helmet hits are nothing to mess around with.

DaFace
10-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Smart move, IMO. Helmet to helmet hits are nothing to mess around with.

...assuming that the refs can figure out when it's helmet to helmet and when it's not. They called one in the Broncos/Jets game that wasn't even CLOSE to being a legit H2H hit.

Jim Jones
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
...assuming that the refs can figure out when it's helmet to helmet and when it's not. They called one in the Broncos/Jets game that wasn't even CLOSE to being a legit H2H hit.

I do think if they're going to suspend a guy for it, then they should review it to see if it was a helmet to helmet hit or not.

I know that would slow down the game, but brain injuries in the NFL are a serious, serious issue and and I am all for whatever will lessen the impact these guys take to their heads.

Fish
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
They already have em dressed in pink.... might as well make em play like girls too....

Dayze
10-18-2010, 01:44 PM
they should just play with the rugby stle ear protectors.

they'll stop leading with their head.
sometimes I think they feel so protected by the helmet, that they think they're invincible

ElGringo
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Okay, it is not like the refs on the field are going to come out and suspend the guys on the spot (like fines), they will review these hits during the week, and then make the decision. The hard part here is I believe they will have to start judging intent. For example earlier mentioned was 2 guys basically running into each other, should that get suspended, or save it for someone who is leading with the helmet with malicious intent.

Mecca
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
After what James Harrison pulled yesterday this is really not surprising.

siberian khatru
10-18-2010, 02:00 PM
I just think the game is played too fast for these kinds of rules.

You can't expect people to stop on a dime and/or change angles at the last instant. Defender aims for a "legal" part of the body, at the last second the ball carrier makes a move to avoid the hit, he winds up getting smacked in an "illegal" area. 15-yard penalty potentially changes a game; game suspension potentially changes a season.

Mecca
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM

You can't expect people to stop on a dime and/or change angles at the last instant. Defender aims for a "legal" part of the body, at the last second the ball carrier makes a move to avoid the hit, he winds up getting smacked in an "illegal" area. 15-yard penalty potentially changes a game; game suspension potentially changes a season.

Well, I don't think telling someone to not lead with their helmet or launch themselves at someones head is a bad idea, Harrison did both those things yesterday. It's one thing if it's the Robinson/Jackson thing where I didn't see that as intentional.

siberian khatru
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, I don't think telling someone to not lead with their helmet or launch themselves at someones head is a bad idea, Harrison did both those things yesterday. It's one thing if it's the Robinson/Jackson thing where I didn't see that as intentional.

Agreed.

BryanBusby
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
After what James Harrison pulled yesterday this is really not surprising.

but he just plays with such heart, lots of passion

*punches opposing player*

kstater
10-18-2010, 02:31 PM

The crew on NBC last night made some great points. Once the NFL does more than a slap on the wrist fine, the coaches and players will find a different way to get the tackle. As of now, most players are looking for the jaw dropping highlight hits.

Valiant
10-18-2010, 02:46 PM

I am sorry but fuck that. If ou want to start calling for these protections for player safety then it needs to be across the board. No more blocking at the knees. No more divng forward. No more barrelling forward with your head for the extra yards.

Make it even across both sides of theball if you are calling for these types of restrictions.

Nfl is very fast. shit happens.

My rant is only towards normal play. Not for people like harrison trying to hit someone on the helmet. But if they go thru with it. Then they need to allow the calls to be challenged. I have seen too many times a wr drop his shoulder and head whwn he is getting ready to be hit and then gets the call in his favor when he caused the h2h.

Mecca
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
This is all about the NFL protecting itself with all of the concussion data coming out, they don't want to be hit with a ton of lawsuits.

siberian khatru
10-18-2010, 02:47 PM
The crew on NBC last night made some great points. Once the NFL does more than a slap on the wrist fine, the coaches and players will find a different way to get the tackle. As of now, most players are looking for the jaw dropping highlight hits.

Yeah, I saw that. Rodney Harrison said only a suspension made him change his ways.

But that gets to what Mecca was saying below about James Harrison. Both Harrisons are/were DIRTY PLAYERS. Everyone knew it, and it was obvious when you saw it. So yeah, I would hope Rodney would mend his ways from being a FUCKING SCUMBAG who's probably going to burn in Hell./ drama queen

My concern, though, is that I see time and time again guys flagged for what is, to me, incidental contact (especially on QBs). They weren't launching themselves at a guy's head, but they reach for his shoulders and guy ducks down and the defender's hand brushes the helmet and he gets penalized for a "blow to the head." Or a guy is one foot from the sideline then steps out just as a defender has been sprinting 10 yards full speed to tackle him and the defender gets a late hit/unnecessary roughness. He would have to violate the laws of physics to pull up in time to avoid the ball carrier.

I just fear that athletes have gotten so big and fast in what has always been a violent game that it's really hard to reign it in with rules like that. Intentional, dirty hits are one thing. But violent contact in the course of making a play is another.

Calcountry
10-18-2010, 02:51 PM
They already have em dressed in pink.... might as well make em play like girls too....You mean, like the ones that play in the super bowl!??? My eyes!!!, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!111.

Jerm
10-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Exactly.

I'm not talking about legal hits either, there's a place for hard hits and great tackles in football...I'm talking about the head hunting and the LEADING WITH THE HELMET which for some odd reason has become the norm nowadays with defenses on all levels.

Sadly the culture in the NFL and football has become about the big hit and "laying the boom on someone" or whatever...when it comes to that, you're going to have stuff like this happen.

It's simple, automatic ejection and a 4 game suspension OR the offender is out for however long the injured player is out for.

Demonpenz
10-18-2010, 04:04 PM
horsecollars should be legal.

FAX
10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
More pads. Bigger helms. Squishy ball.

FAX

chiefzilla1501
10-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Both of Harrison's hits seemed like they were aimed at the head, but Robinson and Jackson just ran into each other. That one was scary-looking, particularly for Jackson. Hope he's okay.

Yup, but give Andy Reid credit--he isn't faulting Robinson for the hit.

Harrison's hits were dirty and worse, he's not apologetic for it.

Rodney Harrison brought up a great point. You have to suspend these guys. If a guy's going to knock a key player like Josh Cribbs out possibly for 1-2 games because of a concussion, then the guy who gave him the concussion should miss a game or two too, shouldn't he?

FAX
10-18-2010, 04:14 PM
I can see why they would consider something like this ...

The athletes are bigger, stronger, faster ... and concusser.

FAX

chiefzilla1501
10-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I am sorry but **** that. If ou want to start calling for these protections for player safety then it needs to be across the board. No more blocking at the knees. No more divng forward. No more barrelling forward with your head for the extra yards.

Make it even across both sides of theball if you are calling for these types of restrictions.

Nfl is very fast. shit happens.

My rant is only towards normal play. Not for people like harrison trying to hit someone on the helmet. But if they go thru with it. Then they need to allow the calls to be challenged. I have seen too many times a wr drop his shoulder and head whwn he is getting ready to be hit and then gets the call in his favor when he caused the h2h.

Well, problem with that is that the head injuries are the ones that are starting to raise attention and rightfully so.

Regardless of how much money these guy makes, the NFL doesn't take care of these guys after they retire. They should at least make it a responsibility to take care of them before that.

ChiefaRoo
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM
More pads. Bigger helms. Squishy ball.

FAX

Like this?

keg in kc
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Just put skirts and flags on them. Sissies.

ILikeBigTiddys
10-18-2010, 11:34 PM
The league is going overboard with this crap. Let'em play

Phobia
10-18-2010, 11:39 PM

100% agree - this is part of the game. If it becomes a pattern for a particular player then punish him severely. Don't get guys on freak accidents.

Consistent1
10-19-2010, 12:22 AM
That Meriweather hit from the Pats game looked to me to be the worst. He didn't even go the the ground himself. That one looked the most like a "launch" of anything I have seen debated. It looked to be almost the definition of the problem IMO.

Raiderhater58
10-19-2010, 01:01 AM
and the pussification continues...

HMc
10-19-2010, 01:13 AM
i suspect injuries would decrease across the board if you removed the helmets alltogether.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Welcome to your new NFL!

Two hand touch football FTW!

Arena league.

Every game is 2000 Rams vs. 2003 CHIEFS!1!

Extra Point
10-19-2010, 07:16 AM
This is the toughest issue now in the NFL. Lowest, cleanest, guy wins.

Bane
10-19-2010, 07:18 AM
i suspect injuries would decrease across the board if you removed the helmets alltogether.

Hell they can just play it out on Madden with the video boards.

MOhillbilly
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Gettin KOd is part of the game. I fuckin hate this rule way down deep.

Donger
10-19-2010, 07:24 AM

I imagine that is why the added the word egregious.

Zaiko
10-19-2010, 07:25 AM
This is part of the game.. You make a lot of money to do what you do. If you are scared of the big shot, don't play. There's no shortage of people dying to play in the NFL.

I don't necessarily disagree completely with suspending violent hits, but the problem is because everything is moving so fast, people are changing positions and moving at high speed. You can't just completely change what you're doing INSTANTLY to not hit someone.

Now if you're unabated to the quarterback and you blatantly hit him helmet to helmet and there's not much movement then okay that's fine for the suspension. I'm worried they're going to fundamentally change the game as we know it.

EDIT: Ray Anderson, like lead official or something, who's decision this was, is up on Mike & Mike in 7 mins.

philfree
10-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Arena league.

Every game is 2000 Rams vs. 2003 CHIEFS!1!

I think that's what they want. An offesnsive league where the scores are 63-60.

Might as well call it basketball or something stupid like that.

PhilFree:arrow:

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 07:29 AM
I imagine that is why the added the word egregious.

Define, please, in a football context, not a dictionary sense.

Donger
10-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Define, please, in a football context, not a dictionary sense.

Flagrant. In other words, not like what some people above are describing (going too fast and hitting another guy helmet to helmet unintentionally).

Bane
10-19-2010, 07:31 AM
As much as I can't stand Matt Millen,I like what he said about them having to define "devastating" hits.Helmet to helmet is pretty easy to call out,but surely they can't be serious about every hard hit being a violation.If so damn near every kick off after a score will produce a violation.

Chiefnj2
10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Just get it over with.

Starting in 2011 begin the NEW NFL. 18 game seasons, you can only hit the WR after they have possession. Have a NEW NFL HOF to recognize the new crop of QB's who are going to throw for 6,000 yards a season and WRs who will get 1,700 yards a season.

The way the new proposal stands right now, it is a joke. Any hard or "devastating" hit can get a player suspended, even if the hit is legal. You wonder if games were shaved or fixed before?

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Flagrant. In other words, not like what some people above are describing (going too fast and hitting another guy helmet to helmet unintentionally).

So you know it when you see it?

Be interesting to see how that plays out, especially with the pressure on the NFL to do something about all these concussions.

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 07:33 AM
BTW, I read this on another board and thought it was an interesting angle:

I am coming of the belief that the NFL needs to radically rethink the real cause of injuries. Big fast men, clothed in hard plastic armor, are hurling themselves at each other with the subconscious (or perhaps conscious) desire to maim each other. What we probably need is to take away all the equipment and play in rugby jerseys and shorts. I think injuries would go way down. How many rugby players or Aussie rules football players are getting concussions each week? Is the game well served by watching Desean Jackson try to count how many fingers a trainer is holding up and then sitting out for the next three weeks? Would Dunta Robinson try to hit Jackson with his bare head? The NFL could fine him $100,000 for the hit and it wouldn't stop him from doing it again. And I am not accusing Robinson of dirty or illegal play. He is merely doing what he has been taught to do. We also need to stop glorifying violent hits, a practice which the NFL seems to encourage. It simply teaches kids to become the next generation of headhunters.

Zaiko
10-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Ray Anderson said it must be flagrant, primarily hits to head and neck, looking more at defenseless WRs. He went on to say anyone who is in possession of the football is not considered defenseless in this sense.

For example, the hit on Cribbs was legal cause he had full possession of the ball.

Donger
10-19-2010, 07:36 AM
So you know it when you see it?

Be interesting to see how that plays out, especially with the pressure on the NFL to do something about all these concussions.

You tell me: were James Harrison's hits egregious and flagrant?

Bane
10-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Just get it over with.

Starting in 2011 begin the NEW NFL. 18 game seasons, you can only hit the WR after they have possession. Have a NEW NFL HOF to recognize the new crop of QB's who are going to throw for 6,000 yards a season and WRs who will get 1,700 yards a season.

The way the new proposal stands right now, it is a joke. Any hard or "devastating" hit can get a player suspended, even if the hit is legal. You wonder if games were shaved or fixed before?

Don't forget hitting in the endzone!

Zaiko
10-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Apparently not the one on Cribbs, but the Massoquoi hit was according to the guy who is responsible for this change.

But, apparently if his pad levels change and you hit him in the head, too bad you should have adjusted immediately.

Chiefnj2
10-19-2010, 07:38 AM

Depends on the definition of "egregious" and "flagrant".

Donger
10-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Depends on the definition of "egregious" and "flagrant".

Any player who intentionally does the following:

# A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
# Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.

Zaiko
10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I don't like what Ray Anderson had to say on Mike and Mike at all. Too much emphasis on safety and everyone having fun. The guy basically said he doesn't give a shit what people think of this, he's doing it anyways.

Game moves way too fast for what this guy wants to do. Golic disagreed with him pretty hard.

Zaiko
10-19-2010, 07:44 AM

No that's wrong. You don't have to use your helmet at all. Look at the Dunta Robinson hit on Desean Jackson. Ray Anderson said this would carry disciplinary action, but he doesn't really lead with his helmet.

Chiefnj2
10-19-2010, 07:44 AM

I don't think anyone has much of a problem when a defender uses the top of his helmet. I think close to 100% of this board wouldn't have a problem if Merriweather was fined and/or under the new rules suspended a game for his hit on Heap this weekend.

The new proposed rule isn't limited to crown of the helmet hits.

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Yes. Both times he was clearly leading with his helmet, not caught in an awkward position.

But I fear they will keep lowering the bar on many others. Like I said, the pressure is on the NFL. Every week now we get multiple reports of concussions. There's going to be more and more "For the love of God, you've got to stop this mayhem!" James Harrison is easy to police, but there's so much more violence going on that it will be difficult for the NFL to keep the line drawn tightly around his type of antics.

Bane
10-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Yes. Both times he was clearly leading with his helmet, not caught in an awkward position.

But I fear they will keep lowering the bar on many others. Like I said, the pressure is on the NFL. Every week now we get multiple reports of concussions. There's going to be more and more "For the love of God, you've got to stop this mayhem!" James Harrison is easy to police, but there's so much more violence going on that it will be difficult for the NFL to keep the line drawn tightly around his type of antics.

How do you shoulder tackle someone without leading with your head? I'm not disagreeing with you on Harrison's hits,just curious as to how they are supposed to deliver a shoulder hit without having their helmet right there.

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 08:01 AM
How do you shoulder tackle someone without leading with your head? I'm not disagreeing with you on Harrison's hits,just curious as to how they are supposed to deliver a shoulder hit without having their helmet right there.

I'm not sure we're disagreeing.

I don't think Harrison was trying to deliver shoulder hits. I think he was deliberately leading with his helmet.

I DO think that players will attempt legitimate shoulder hits but wind up going helmet to helmet because of a last-moment move by the ball carrier. Like I've said, I think players are so big and fast now that it makes policing this extremely difficult. I don't think the problem is so much a deficiency in rules, but the nature of the participants.

Donger
10-19-2010, 08:04 AM
No that's wrong. You don't have to use your helmet at all. Look at the Dunta Robinson hit on Desean Jackson. Ray Anderson said this would carry disciplinary action, but he doesn't really lead with his helmet.

You mean this one?

The Eagles' DeSean Jackson and the Falcons' Dunta Robinson were knocked out of their game Sunday after a frightening helmet-to-helmet collision.

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 08:08 AM
You mean this one?

The Eagles' DeSean Jackson and the Falcons' Dunta Robinson were knocked out of their game Sunday after a frightening helmet-to-helmet collision.

Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is intentional. Harrison, IMO, deliberately led with his helmet. Robinson, IMO, didn't.

"Robinsonís hit resulted in a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness and both he and Jackson left the game and didnít return. Robinsonís hit didnít appear to be intentional. It was a split-second play where he and Jackson were going full speed. Robinsonís head appeared to hit Jacksonís shoulder pads first and then moved up for a helmet-to-helmet collision."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/29961/could-dunta-robinson-face-suspension

InChiefsHell
10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I think they should throw the flag, and then just like now you review it later in the week. If it's shown to be purposeful, then it's a one game suspension per incident. So, Harrison would miss 2 games. Guaranfriggintee you that'll get not just his attention but a lot of other guys as well.

Donger
10-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is intentional. Harrison, IMO, deliberately led with his helmet. Robinson, IMO, didn't.

"Robinsonís hit resulted in a 15-yard penalty for unnecessary roughness and both he and Jackson left the game and didnít return. Robinsonís hit didnít appear to be intentional. It was a split-second play where he and Jackson were going full speed. Robinsonís head appeared to hit Jacksonís shoulder pads first and then moved up for a helmet-to-helmet collision."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/29961/could-dunta-robinson-face-suspension

If it clearly is unintentional, I don't see how it could be ruled either egregious or flagrant.

siberian khatru
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
If it clearly is unintentional, I don't see how it could be ruled either egregious or flagrant.

I agree. If it is clear.

Bane
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM

That hit was just plain old NASTY.:eek:

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-19-2010, 10:53 AM
If you hit St. Manning too hard, they'll just give you a lifetime ban.

ROFL I can't stand him or cocksucker Favre.

Valiant
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
It was said earlier. You are taught to lead with your helmit. The difference is not tackling with it or using it to crown another persons head. Put any good football player is going to lead with his helmet to make a tackle. Well unless your playing handsies witharm tackling.

Zaiko
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Tell that to Ray Anderson who said they would suspend for that hit starting immediately.

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Harrison should watch out next time he faces Cleveland. I wouldnt be surprised to see someone going after his knees.

GloryDayz
10-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Funny how it's always on the D... Why not lay a fine on a QB for throwing a ball to a WR running a crossing route - that's endangerment!!?? Why not ban crossing routes (after all, it's ALL about the players staying safe!)?? Heck, why not call a facemask when a RD stiff-arms a player on D and grabs his mask? I'm sorry, it's football! It's time to quit protecting the QBs, quit protecting the WRs, and making it OK to make the WR be a man just to get 5 yards down the field, much less toss the laundry when you look at them too much while they're running. Hey, how about this, don't catch the ball and you might be around for another play? How about that as an option??

Bane
10-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Harrison should watch out next time he faces Cleveland. I wouldnt be surprised to see someone going after his knees.

I believe the good old days of pay backs are gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
10-20-2010, 07:38 AM
just more of the NFL painting the players into a corner. Motherfuckers are gonna screw us out of a season.

InChiefsHell
10-20-2010, 07:50 AM
just more of the NFL painting the players into a corner. Mother****ers are gonna screw us out of a season.

I was watching NFL Playbook yesterday, and one of the guys (not Sterling Sharpe, but the other black guy) pointed out that if the rule currently on the books were enforced, there is no need for a new rule. Then they went over each hit from this weekend that contributed to this ruling and if you went by the current rule, 2 of them were not a problem, but I think 3 of them were. So, just like anything else, if you just use the rules on the books, you'd be fine and there would be no controversy.

philfree
10-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Funny how it's always on the D

So are they going to suspend a FB for blowing a guy up with a lead block?

BigChiefFan
10-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Goodell has been below average, IMO. His version of the NFL is trash.

philfree
10-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Is scoring down this year? Maybe Goodell is just trying to loosen up the secondaries. I think I hate him as the Commish.

Chief Henry
10-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I've had conversations with my friends how some day we'll see a player have his head twisted off or seriously wrenched because of the speed and power of players on the field.