PDA

View Full Version : Football Steelers’ Harrison: I don’t care if I hurt players

Sure-Oz
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-harrisonshits

Steelers’ Harrison: I don’t care if I hurt players

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 34 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers linebacker James Harrison(notes) states his objective matter-of-factly: He’s out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity.

If he sees players down on the turf—as he did Sunday when he sidelined Browns wide receivers Joshua Cribbs(notes) and Mohamed Massaquoi(notes) with concussion-causing hits only minutes apart—he knows he’s done his job.

“I don’t want to injure anybody,” Harrison said following Pittsburgh’s 28-10 victory. “There’s a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people.”

Harrison’s reputation as being one of the NFL’s nastiest players was enhanced when his leading-with-the-helmet hits on Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi left the Browns with just two healthy wide receivers for more than a half. Neither hit was penalized, although the NFL said Monday it is reviewing the hit on Massaquoi. The league determined Cribbs’ tackle was legal.

Harrison’s style of play is raising questions about whether it’s possible to stay within the rules, yet also play dirty. While the Browns weren’t especially critical of the hits following the game, tight end Benjamin Watson(notes) was more outspoken Monday.

“I hope the NFL does the max, whatever the max is, I hope they give it to him,” Watson said.

NFL vice president of football operations Ray Anderson told The Associated Press that the league could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits. The NFL is emphasizing a reduction in football concussions, which can lead to dementia and brain disease.

The crown of Harrison’s helmet slammed into the left side of Cribbs’ helmet as the wide receiver was running a wildcat formation play, causing Cribbs to crumple face-first into the turf. He appeared to be momentarily knocked out. Because Cribbs was a runner, such helmet-to-helmet contact is permissible.

“I thought Cribbs was asleep,” Harrison said. “A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he’s just sleeping. He’s knocked out but he’s going to be OK.”

Harrison struck Massaquoi with his helmet as he rammed his right forearm and shoulder into the wide receiver to break up a pass. NFL rules now require a defender to give a receiver time to defend himself before he absorbs such a hit.

Harrison argued it would be a “travesty” if he was fined, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also said it was a legal hit. However, the outside linebacker has drawn fines in the past for his aggressive style of play.

He drew a $5,000 penalty for slamming Tennessee quarterback Vince Young(notes) to the turf Sept. 19, a play that also wasn’t penalized. Harrison also was fined $5,000 last season for unnecessary roughness following a late hit on Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth(notes). In 2008, he drew a $20,000 fine for criticizing a roughing-the-passer penalty against him.

The Steelers haven’t publicly discouraged Harrison from playing with an edge, believing it enhances their image as one of the NFL’s toughest, physical and most intimidating defenses. Following Sunday’s game, safety Ryan Clark(notes) called Harrison “an animal” and wide receiver Hines Ward(notes) termed him “a beast”—and both were being complimentary.

“You see a guy like that, knocking guys out like that … he’s a man on a mission,” Ward said. “He sets the tempo for everybody.”

Harrison said he doesn’t want to put any player out of a game or jeopardize his career. Still, the former AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year realizes it can be difficult to draw a line between merely hurting a player and badly injuring him as hits are being delivered so quickly, there’s no time to consider the consequences.

Tomlin appeared to suggest that younger players looking for a role model to copy for physical play might find him in Harrison, who was chosen as an AFC Pro Bowl starter the last three seasons.

“James is always ready to deliver for his teammates,” Tomlin said. “That’s why they have so much respect for him. He’s a good football player, man. He always delivers timely performances when you need them. Talking to a lot of young players, they want to know the recipe for being a dominant, great player. It’s not only delivering plays, but delivering plays at a timely manner — significant plays. And he does that for the most part.”

AP Sports Writer Tom Withers in Cleveland contributed to this report.

ChiefButthurt
10-18-2010, 05:42 PM
That should make a lot of friends.

Mecca
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
A travesty? How many times has it been stated you are not to lead with your helmet or go after another players head?

This guy is going to have to be suspended to get the point.

Jerm
10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
What a fucking idiot.

Count Zarth
I would take James Harrison on my team in an instant.

Bad motherfucker.

GloryDayz
Wow, I guess he takes football seriously..

SNR
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Harrison = The Steelers' version of Dwayne Bowe

blaise
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Well then, don't complain when some guy cut blocks your knee.

Shogun
10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Kick him out of the league. No. Seriously. Give him a years suspension. I don't give a fuck about players like this. Maybe he is fucking amazing at his position, cool, but somebody just got fucking paralyzed from the neck down, FROM AN ACCIDENT. Now think if this motherfucker goes out there looking to hurt people. Fuck him. Piece of shit.

pr_capone
10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Harrison = The Steelers' version of Dwayne Bowe

No.

Harrison hurts the other team. Bowe hurts his own team.

Shogun
10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
“I don’t want to injure anybody,” Harrison said following Pittsburgh’s 28-10 victory. “There’s a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people.”

“I thought Cribbs was asleep,” Harrison said. “A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he’s just sleeping. He’s knocked out but he’s going to be OK.”

Dudes a ****ing idiot to boot

Sure-Oz
10-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Looks like the NFL is going to start suspending players even on their first devastating hit

Three7s
10-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Karma's a bitch, he's just asking for a career-ending injury.

Ebolapox
10-18-2010, 10:10 PM
it's a good thing chuck cecil is a coach now and not a DB still.

Valiant
10-18-2010, 10:28 PM
?? I don't agree with him going helmet to helmet to hurt the players and he should probably be suspended for the helmet to helmet.. But what is wrong with what he said?? Your goal is to hurt and break the other guys will across from you..

Should we stop fullbacks from blasting people on offense, or blocks period against people smaller then you?? When does it stop??

aturnis
10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
I HATE James Harrison. I've hated him ever since the Superbowl game that he played SO dirty in. He's a loser. Probably a junkie of some sort too. "geeks you up", sounds like a coke-head or meth-head talking about being "geeked out of their mind."

BryanBusby
10-18-2010, 10:33 PM
“A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he’s just sleeping. He’s knocked out but he’s going to be OK.”

What in the fuck? Yeah, he decided to take a nap after getting blasted in the fucking head.

Valiant
10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
“A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he’s just sleeping. He’s knocked out but he’s going to be OK.”

What in the ****? Yeah, he decided to take a nap after getting blasted in the ****ing head.

Shit this just gave me a bad vision of Goodell's future..

Football is going to become more like futbol.. WRs and QBs are going to pretend to be hurt to get the call... fuck..

Tribal Warfare
10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
To be honest, Deacon Jones felt the same way when he was playing but his intent was to put them into the hospital.

LiL stumppy
10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Any one who gets upset about his comments are dumb.. Every NFL player is out there to knock the hell out of another guy. And he is correct, being hurt and injured are two different things. I don't agree with the 2 hits, but it's not like he is saying something that everyone doesn't already know.

ILikeBigTiddys
10-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Harrison's gay

BWillie
10-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I love what he said. The NFL needs to knock it off w/ all of this bullshit it is doing. No endzone celebrations, you touch the kicker and it's a penalty, touch the QB, hit a guy hard going up the middle with your shoulder pad....you get flagged. It's getting ridiculous.

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I'd say he should be out the next 2 games.

Reaper16
10-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Guess the fuck what? Football is never going to be safe. This is a violent, brutal sport fueled by a collective blood lust.

I think that these new suspensions are a farce in light of the fact that the NFL wants to INCREASE the amount of games played in the regular season from 16 to 18. That is a logically inconsistent position given their new-found obsession with safety.

BigMeatballDave
10-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I love what he said. The NFL needs to knock it off w/ all of this bullshit it is doing. No endzone celebrations, you touch the kicker and it's a penalty, touch the QB, hit a guy hard going up the middle with your shoulder pad....you get flagged. It's getting ridiculous.Harrison's hit on Cribbs was a cheapshot. That shit needs to be cleaned up.

Rain Man
10-19-2010, 12:26 AM
I think there's a difference between being a violent player and being a dirty player. I'd never really thought of Harrison as being a dirty player until seeing those two hits yesterday where it was pretty obvious what he was doing, particularly the Massaquoi play. It's unfortunate that some players lack the character to be violent without being dirty.

BossChief
10-19-2010, 12:35 AM
“There’s a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people.”

I dont see anything wrong with this.

But, admittedly, I havent seen the hits themselves to try and judge them from my living room either.

This is a violent sport and helmet to helmet should be totally outlawed going forward and there needs to be a new innovation in the way the helmets are being made to help protect better...they need to find a way to make it a safer sport without totally pussifing it.

Straight, No Chaser
10-19-2010, 12:48 AM
LOL, all the aftermath crying about the Houston game, blaming the refs, etc. If we had an enforcer roaming the middle of the field ala J. Harrison, there's a good chance we win in Houston. Instead, Romeo is in Kubiak school.
Steelers have a pretty good defense and I'm sure Tomlin & company aren't interested in what fans have to say at this point. I'll take some of that but wait... Haley say's we're... not... there... yet.

HotRoute
10-19-2010, 12:49 AM
They wear pink and cry about big hits the NFL should stand for not for long, as in what the hell can fans do to get goodell out of there ? He is ruining the league

BossChief
10-19-2010, 01:01 AM
They wear pink and cry about big hits the NFL should stand for not for long, as in what the hell can fans do to get goodell out of there ? He is ruining the leagueactually, quite the contrary.

I think this is about as good as the league has ever been, from a competitive standpoint. A lot of the credit for that should go straight to Goodell.

Every year, you have bottom feeders making the playoffs and turning their fortunes around. Every team from the smallest market to the biggest has a real chance of winning it all, if they play their cards right for a year or two and it has never been like that before.

I dont agree with everything he has changed about the game, but for the most part...he is good for the game and will help take it to the next level IMO.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:02 AM
It's the fucking NFL.

Hell, as a high school kid the IDEA was to play football/wrestling WITHIN the rules but to execute at a level that kid was done. You hit someone and knocked them the fuck out you were a golden god. You slammed some fish so hard he lost his wind and quit....the same.

What the NFL is doing is.......well.......ok, lets say the UFC took the same approach.

Can you see Dana fining fighters because they had a "devastating KO" because too many high profile fighters are getting hurt? If he said that the UFC would go tits up in a week.

Imagine if boxing....nevermind, it's already tits up...

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:04 AM
actually, quite the contrary.

I think this is about as good as the league has ever been, from a competitive standpoint. A lot of the credit for that should go straight to Goodell.

I applaud the the stance he's taking on character and criminal acts. He's by far the biggest believer, probably ever at that position, in character athletes.

On this though he's WAY off the mark. It HURTS the integrity of the game...

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2010, 01:05 AM
It's the fucking NFL.

Hell, as a high school kid the IDEA was to play football/wrestling WITHIN the rules but to execute at a level that kid was done. You hit someone and knocked them the fuck out you were a golden god. You slammed some fish so hard he lost his wind and quit....the same.

What the NFL is doing is.......well.......ok, lets say the UFC took the same approach.

Can you see Dana fining fighters because they had a "devastating KO" because too many high profile fighters are getting hurt? If he said that the UFC would go tits up in a week.

Imagine if boxing....nevermind, it's already tits up...Does the UFC allow deliberate headbutts?

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Guess the **** what? Football is never going to be safe. This is a violent, brutal sport fueled by a collective blood lust.

I think that these new suspensions are a farce in light of the fact that the NFL wants to INCREASE the amount of games played in the regular season from 16 to 18. That is a logically inconsistent position given their new-found obsession with safety.

Seriously??

The safest thing would be for everyone to stay home and take up knitting, but that probably won't happen. Just because they want to play more football doesn't mean they can't protect the players. This current outrage against helmet to helmet hits is, in my mind, probably a lot like how people felt about things like clotheslining before it was made illegal. "It's part of the tough man's game of football!!!" Nope. It's unnecessary and preventable. I am ready for some suspensions.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Does the UFC allow deliberate headbutts?

Does the NFL allow you to kick the QB to the head?...

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Seriously??

The safest thing would be for everyone to stay home and take up knitting, but that probably won't happen. Just because they want to play more football doesn't mean they can't protect the players. This current outrage against helmet to helmet hits is, in my mind, probably a lot like how people felt about things like clotheslining before it was made illegal. "It's part of the tough man's game of football!!!" Nope. It's unnecessary and preventable. I am ready for some suspensions.

I'm fine with helmet to helmet fines/suspensions.

It's the "no more w00 hits" line that worries me...

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:23 AM
They wear pink and cry about big hits the NFL should stand for not for long, as in what the hell can fans do to get goodell out of there ? He is ruining the league

Yeah. As an NFL fan I'll be really disappointed if former players aren't seizing every time they see a flashing light, then they haven't done their jobs. C'mon, dude. At some point can't we just sacrifice the brutality of the sport for the safety of the players? How many concussions have there been this year? Is our entertainment worth all of this?

BryanBusby
10-19-2010, 01:23 AM

Do you even know exactly what you are arguing for? It's still possible to make a huge hit without aiming to take somebodies fucking head off.

BossChief
10-19-2010, 01:26 AM

I'm with ya here, man.

These guys want this to be a worldwide product with 20 sell-able games in 10 years so bad that they are making IMO a kneejerk reactionary decision based on the on weekend of overly physical play.

You done ban the uppercut just because a lot of boxers get knocked out from it.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Do you even know exactly what you are arguing for? It's still possible to make a huge hit without aiming to take somebodies ****ing head off.

Yes.

Do you?

The NFL will announce by Wednesday that, effective this weekend, even first-time offenders face suspension for "devastating hits" and "head shots," according to Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5701512

It's not just headshots, gen(I)ous, it's "devastating hits" as well.

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Do you even know exactly what you are arguing for? It's still possible to make a huge hit without aiming to take somebodies ****ing head off.

Yeah. When you put your head down and lead with your helmet to just unload on a guy, you are crossing a line. A line that Harrison crossed twice in a matter of a few plays.

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Yes.

Do you?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5701512

It's not just headshots, gen(I)ous, it's "devastating hits" as well.

True. That probably leaves it too open. I do think there needs to be clear guidelines for what is suspension worthy.

BossChief
10-19-2010, 01:30 AM
The NFL itself and ESPN were built on "devastating hits"

If you lead with your helmet into another players head, you should be suspended on a similar timeline as when you take PEDs IMO because both are cheating in a way that can end careers.

Leading with your shoulder and knocking a player out should always be a play that is celebrated in the NFL and by its fans...same as a clean knockout in boxing or MMA.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Yeah. When you put your head down and lead with your helmet to just unload on a guy, you are crossing a line. A line that Harrison crossed twice in a matter of a few plays.

Doing so is also a greater risk to you than the person you're tackling.

This is the NFL, players at all positions are getting bigger, stronger, and faster.

I would not want to risk spinal compression to give some guy an unspoken "fuck you."

Just me. Just how I think...

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:35 AM
The NFL itself and ESPN were built on "devastating hits"

If you lead with your helmet into another players head, you should be suspended on a similar timeline as when you take PEDs IMO because both are cheating in a way that can end careers.

Leading with your shoulder and knocking a player out should always be a play that is celebrated in the NFL and by its fans...same as a clean knockout in boxing or MMA.

I can live with that. It's just the utter glorification of inflicting pain that makes even a diehard fan such as myself find it hard to defend the sport.

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Doing so is also a greater risk to you than the person you're tackling.

This is the NFL, players at all positions are getting bigger, stronger, and faster.

I would not want to risk spinal compression to give some guy an unspoken "**** you."

Just me. Just how I think...

I wouldn't try to speculate how some of these guys think, but all I know is is a guy uses his helmet as a weapon and hurts himself, that's his bad. If he hurts the other guy then he should be held accountable. Just like a reckless driver or the like.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:41 AM

As of right now the NFL is taking a clear stance that this is not what they want.

If you want clarification there is a person whom you can contact for these questions. This person clarifies rules and regulations and represents the NFL's official stance in these matters.

I did back when DV was "traded" here after the Gruden trade. I, and many others, didn't see how that was possible since the public perception was that coach-for-picks trades were banned.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:45 AM
I can live with that. It's just the utter glorification of inflicting pain that makes even a diehard fan such as myself find it hard to defend the sport.

I never looked at it as "inflicting pain."

I always looking at it as defying pain.

Ronnie Lott.........."miss a game? Fuck you, take the finger."

Steve Deberg playing with blood dripping off his pinkie.

Butkis, Lambert (did that guy ever play a game where he wasn't bleeding?), etc.

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 01:54 AM
I never looked at it as "inflicting pain."

I always looking at it as defying pain.

Ronnie Lott.........."miss a game? **** you, take the finger."

Steve Deberg playing with blood dripping off his pinkie.

Butkis, Lambert (did that guy ever play a game where he wasn't bleeding?), etc.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate that kind of play. I do. Feeling the pain and fighting through it is a lot different than trying to hurt guys. And the idea that Harrison can differentiate between a hit that will hurt and a hit that will injure is ludicrous. Especially given his tactics.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:58 AM
I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate that kind of play. I do. Feeling the pain and fighting through it is a lot different than trying to hurt guys. And the idea that Harrison can differentiate between a hit that will hurt and a hit that will injure is ludicrous. Especially given his tactics.

That said, the NFL is about hurt.

It is about hitting that WR so hard he short arms the next pass.

You hit that QB so many times (WITHIN THE RULES) that he's off his game all day.

Hit.

HITTING THE QB is still legal.

It's the slow erasure of physical contact that I abhor...

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 02:10 AM
That said, the NFL is about hurt.

It is about hitting that WR so hard he short arms the next pass.

You hit that QB so many times (WITHIN THE RULES) that he's off his game all day.

Hit.

HITTING THE QB is still legal.

It's the slow erasure of physical contact that I abhor...

True dat.

I just think there is a balance between "pussifying" the game and adjusting standards based on modern medicine.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 02:12 AM
True dat.

I just think there is a balance between "pussifying" the game and adjusting standards based on modern medicine.

Yeah.

Modern medicine helps players have longer careers and better lives after the game.

DBOSHO
10-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Ive never played football, but id imagine when a reciever catches a ball in the middle of the field and you are within striking distance that it would be HARD in a split second to think where you can and cannot hit a player and how you can hit them. The game is too fast.

Amnorix
10-19-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm sure some purists on here would want to return to clothesline tackles as well.

You can hit hard without leading with the helmet. The point is to laying a hurting on someone, not to lay down paralysis. And the rule is for the benefit of the attacking player too, as leading with the helmet isn't so good for that guy's future anyway.

Molitoth
10-19-2010, 07:48 AM
These players get paid millions of dollars because they play a physical game. If you wanna take the hitting out of football, you may as well take the money out of it too. ****ing pussies.

I'm not a fan of the helmet to helmet all on dives on a helpless receiver... but c'mon man... hitting hard is part of the game.

Inspector
10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
At my grandson's games, they wear flags so they won't have to tackle.

I'll send that suggestion in to Goodell.

tmax63
10-19-2010, 08:42 AM
I think the glory of the wow hit has hurt the game. The simple fact is that alot of players are looking for wow hits to make the highlight reels and forget how to form tackle and wrap up a ball carrier the rest of the time. That was Pollard's problem among many. Helmets can only be refined/improved so much and the human head and neck can only take so much impact. The NFL has tried to discourage helmet to helmet but more subtle emphasis hasn't worked. I applaud the NFL for taking a stronger stance and trying to keep a few more players from getting blown up, as in blown up careers and lives.

pr_capone
10-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Ive never played football, but id imagine when a reciever catches a ball in the middle of the field and you are within striking distance that it would be HARD in a split second to think where you can and cannot hit a player and how you can hit them. The game is too fast.

I never understood the "defenseless receiver" rule. If a guy is in mid air and has made contact with the ball... he should be fair game. Why should a defender have to let him get his feet on the ground before crushing him? All that does is increase the chances of a reception... giving the receiver an unfair advantage.

ElGringo
10-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah, it sounds like my opinion is contradictory to the boards majority, but I like his attitude in part. I agree, leading helmet to helmet, breaking the rules to injure a player, that is something that just shouldn't happen. His attitude, however, I like. I agree, you want to give the opposing player a "deep muscle bruise" or the like, just enough that he won't come back out and face you today. You want your D to be fierce, you want them to smell blood and go crazy, at least that is the way I always wanted my D to play.

stevieray
10-19-2010, 09:35 AM
I think the glory of the wow hit has hurt the game. The simple fact is that alot of players are looking for wow hits to make the highlight reels and forget how to form tackle and wrap up a ball carrier the rest of the time. That was Pollard's problem among many. Helmets can only be refined/improved so much and the human head and neck can only take so much impact. The NFL has tried to discourage helmet to helmet but more subtle emphasis hasn't worked. I applaud the NFL for taking a stronger stance and trying to keep a few more players from getting blown up, as in blown up careers and lives.

agree.

it's not just for the player being hit, it's also for the player doing the hitting.

dred
10-19-2010, 09:44 AM
This new rule (or emphasis) helps the offense more than defense IMO.

Nothing new.

The NFL always tends to show love for the offense since it makes for more exciting games to watch.

Problem is that you look at college game (and some highschool) highlights and they are still going for the "woo hits" in order to be noticed.

My point being that by the time a player hits the professional level.. damage has already been done.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Keep it real, yo.

Bill Brasky
10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I think the new rule is a great idea. Props to the commish for taking quick action to protect players from some idiots in the league.

Question for you all: When the new rule is in place later this week, do you think the league will apply it retroactively to the players in question from the weekend like Robinson?

Valiant
10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm sure some purists on here would want to return to clothesline tackles as well.

You can hit hard without leading with the helmet. The point is to laying a hurting on someone, not to lay down paralysis. And the rule is for the benefit of the attacking player too, as leading with the helmet isn't so good for that guy's future anyway.

It is impoosible to not lead with your helmet. Unless you are arm tackling. The key is not to hit helmet to helmet.

Which everyone agees on.

vailpass
10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I'll take 11 Harrisons on my team please.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
This new rule (or emphasis) helps the offense more than defense IMO.

Nothing new.

The NFL always tends to show love for the offense since it makes for more exciting games to watch.

Problem is that you look at college game (and some highschool) highlights and they are still going for the "woo hits" in order to be noticed.

My point being that by the time a player hits the professional level.. damage has already been done.

Pretty sure the rule changes have more to do with sitting in front of congress and being asked "what are you doing to prevent serious head trauma?" has far more to do with this than anything else.

All of that info released about the brain damage of former players and the like is what is leading this.

Valiant
10-19-2010, 11:18 AM
agree.

it's not just for the player being hit, it's also for the player doing the hitting.

This is the problem thbough. Everyone is combining h2h with hard hitting. They are completly seperate.

At this point the nfl is going to have to start putting flags on the players.

After what goodell is doing I hope there is a strike and some billionaire upstarts start a new league.

Chiefnj2
10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Pretty sure the rule changes have more to do with sitting in front of congress and being asked "what are you doing to prevent serious head trauma?" has far more to do with this than anything else.

All of that info released about the brain damage of former players and the like is what is leading this.

Why not ask the refs to enforce the no helmet hits as stringently as they enforce endzone celebrations?

Valiant
10-19-2010, 11:22 AM

You are probably right. But maybe the laeague could usesome of the billions it makes for treatment after football if you play so long in the leauge or sustain a serious injurry while on the field. Nope we will keep meager effort going and try this instead.

Valiant
10-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Why not ask the refs to enforce the no helmet hits as stringently as they enforce endzone celebrations?

Probably like a lot of pi calls they will get it wrong or just flag the defender even if the offensive player dropped his shoulder into the tackle.

Chiefnj2
10-19-2010, 11:25 AM
IIRC the NFL did a test of helmets, and found that 3 different ones were the "safest". Yet, they don't mandate the players use one of those three.

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll take 11 Harrisons on my team please.Your entire D will be suspended then. :)