PDA

View Full Version : Life Are Drunk Drivers not serious criminals?

Chocolate Hog
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM
The reason I ask this is because tonight I was almost hit by one. I was driving through Lenexa on 87th street I noticed a car swurving and going slow clearly the guy was drunk or on something I thought about calling the police but didn't because I figured he was going slow and wouldn't hurt anyone. So about a mile down the road I'm at a redlight I notice the same mother fucker in my lane and it didn't look like he was stopping so I quickly cut into the other lane and the mother fucker went through the red light. So then I go and the peice of shit totally stops in the middle of the road so I call the police, since I was heading into Lenexa to Overland Park the operator switches me to the OP dispatcher I tell her whats going on she then puts me on hold for about a minute :shake: I notice a cop car turns onto another street doing nothing I then inform the operator i'm now behind the guy about another mile down still no cop the operator acts as if its not a big deal... My question is theres a cop not even a mile away from this jerkoff who almost hit somebody is this not a serious complaint?

kysirsoze
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Leave Eric Warfield alone!!!

Rausch
10-19-2010, 12:57 AM
It's definitely a big deal.

I think a lot of the problem is that the limits for BAC are so low now that when you say "driving drunk" most people think "yeah, I've had 4 beers and drove home."

The bar is set so low that nearly everyone has been guilty at one time or another. I think that leads to the "meh, everybody does it" mentality.

I think the punishment should be tied directly to the BAC. Over is your standard DWI/DUI, 1.5x, 1.75x, etc. should carry a penalty equal to the offense...

Chocolate Hog
10-19-2010, 01:00 AM

I think a lot of the problem is that the limits for BAC are so low now that when you say "driving drunk" most people think "yeah, I've had 4 beers and drove home."

The bar is set so low that nearly everyone has been guilty at one time or another. I think that leads to the "meh, everybody does it" mentality.

I think the punishment should be tied directly to the BAC. Over is your standard DWI/DUI, 1.5x, 1.75x, etc. should carry a penalty equal to the offense...

Yea alot of people have broken the law but you really got to be drunk to almost hit someone at a red light and keep going.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Yea alot of people have broken the law but you really got to be drunk to almost hit someone at a red light and keep going.

And that tard should get a much harsher punishment than someone 1 beer over the limit.

Punishment should fit the crime...

Baconeater
10-19-2010, 02:01 AM
I've often wondered what they can/will do in a situation like this. I was following a guy on the freeway a couple weeks ago that was obviously smashed, and I'm fairly certain he was drinking a beer at the time as well. But I didn't call and report him because my battery on my cell phone was very low and probably would've went dead before they were able to catch up with him anyway, plus I had just got back in town after driving for six hours so I wanted to get home. I still kind of regret not at least trying.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 02:11 AM
I've often wondered what they can/will do in a situation like this. I was following a guy on the freeway a couple weeks ago that was obviously smashed, and I'm fairly certain he was drinking a beer at the time as well. But I didn't call and report him because my battery on my cell phone was very low and probably would've went dead before they were able to catch up with him anyway, plus I had just got back in town after driving for six hours so I wanted to get home. I still kind of regret not at least trying.

You should have.

Four pandas, a grandmother, and two hamsters died because of your decision!1!:cuss:

Baconeater
10-19-2010, 02:19 AM
You should have.

Four pandas, a grandmother, and two hamsters died because of your decision!1!:cuss:
Eh, I hate pandas anyway, they're always looking all cute and shit. Drives me fucking nuts.

But in all seriousness, I have to think the odds of them being able to dispatch an officer and have him catch up to us before the dude reached his destination are probably fairly slim.

Hog Farmer
10-19-2010, 03:34 AM
I saw a drunk driver the other day and started to turn around and follow him and call the cops but I decided I probably shouldn't because I had just cracked a beer open .

Rausch
10-19-2010, 03:43 AM
I saw a drunk driver the other day and started to turn around and follow him and call the cops but I decided I probably shouldn't because I had just cracked a beer open .

Fuck'n good call.

ChiefsNow
10-19-2010, 04:55 AM
I saw a drunk driver the other night. He was right behind me because every time I looked in the mirror, he was looking right at me.

Archie F. Swin
10-19-2010, 06:34 AM
If your local police wont respond quickly...just call our sheriff down here in Wichita County, Texas. He takes that shit seriously.

ohiobronco2
10-19-2010, 08:35 AM
This is when you need a big POS pickup with a wooden bumper. Do the pit maneuver, flee the scene.

Otter
10-19-2010, 08:37 AM

NewChief
10-19-2010, 08:40 AM

I did that once on the interstate. This person, I'm assuming was drunk, almost took us off the road. They then almost took about 5 more people off the road swerving all over the place. I got behind them and followed them, called 911, and followed them for about 20 minutes. I stayed on the phone most of the time with the 911 operator who was getting updates on our location. Eventually a State Trooper passed me and pulled the person over.

NewChief
10-19-2010, 08:42 AM

This.

It's .08 down here, which is like 2 beers. Just ridiculous.

To treat someone who has a .08 BAC the same as someone with a .25 BAC is ridiculous.

pr_capone
10-19-2010, 08:44 AM
I once followed a drunk driver for about 7 miles before the cops caught up to us. In that time she pushed 2 cars off the highway and nearly smashed a motorcycle head on.

The second time I called the cops on a drunk driver was when one drove up into my driveway and plowed my mailbox. Caused quite a bit of damage to the lawn as well. When I called 911 and told the op that I was in persuit, she told me to go back home because she didnt want me getting hurt.

I told her that I would keep following until I saw a set of red and blue lights behind me. That took about 10 minutes.

AustinChief
10-19-2010, 08:51 AM
This.

It's .08 down here, which is like 2 beers. Just ridiculous.

To treat someone who has a .08 BAC the same as someone with a .25 BAC is ridiculous.

In Austin, they are trying to get a NEW LAW that says .05 -.07 is a DWAI.. Driving While Ability Impaired.

NewChief
10-19-2010, 08:54 AM
In Austin, they are trying to get a NEW LAW that says .05 -.07 is a DWAI.. Driving While Ability Impaired.

Good lord. Can't have a glass of wine with dinner and drive home if that's the law. I don't mind the idea of a DWAI (to differentiate from being completely shit hammered), but it should be for like .08-.12 or something.

sedated
10-19-2010, 09:00 AM

JFC.

the funny thing is, the politicians who make these laws also break them, and the cops that enforce them also break them.

AustinChief
10-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Good lord. Can't have a glass of wine with dinner and drive home if that's the law. I don't mind the idea of a DWAI (to differentiate from being completely shit hammered), but it should be for like .08-.12 or something.

EXACTLY...

wutamess
10-19-2010, 09:11 AM
The reason I ask this is because tonight I was almost hit by one. I was driving through Lenexa on 87th street I noticed a car swurving and going slow clearly the guy was drunk or on something I thought about calling the police but didn't because I figured he was going slow and wouldn't hurt anyone. So about a mile down the road I'm at a redlight I notice the same mother ****er in my lane and it didn't look like he was stopping so I quickly cut into the other lane and the mother ****er went through the red light. So then I go and the peice of shit totally stops in the middle of the road so I call the police, since I was heading into Lenexa to Overland Park the operator switches me to the OP dispatcher I tell her whats going on she then puts me on hold for about a minute :shake: I notice a cop car turns onto another street doing nothing I then inform the operator i'm now behind the guy about another mile down still no cop the operator acts as if its not a big deal... My question is theres a cop not even a mile away from this jerkoff who almost hit somebody is this not a serious complaint?

So did they get caught? WTF? Why leave us hanging?

Donger
10-19-2010, 09:13 AM
You should have.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FzRH3iTQPrk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FzRH3iTQPrk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BIG_DADDY
10-19-2010, 09:27 AM

That's ridiculous. That's all about the revenue and feeding the bureaucracy that is our legal system.

Hydrae
10-19-2010, 09:52 AM

My immediate response when I first heard about that was that I see people on the road who obviously woke up Ability Impaired. It doesn't have to be about drink at that point.

I will also make the same point I do in most of this kind of thread. You want to stop issues with drunk drivers, texting drivers, sleepy drivers, etc, the solution is not that hard. Cars that drive themselves. You would remove all these kinds of issues. The technology is not out of our reach, there just is not enough push to get it completed and into production.

sedated
10-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I will also make the same point I do in most of this kind of thread. You want to stop issues with drunk drivers, texting drivers, sleepy drivers, etc, the solution is not that hard. Cars that drive themselves. You would remove all these kinds of issues. The technology is not out of our reach, there just is not enough push to get it completed and into production.

True. And suburban sprawl/lack of public transportation is a huge factor; I doubt they have these issues in cities like Chicago and New York.

Valiant
10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
The reason I ask this is because tonight I was almost hit by one. I was driving through Lenexa on 87th street I noticed a car swurving and going slow clearly the guy was drunk or on something I thought about calling the police but didn't because I figured he was going slow and wouldn't hurt anyone. So about a mile down the road I'm at a redlight I notice the same mother ****er in my lane and it didn't look like he was stopping so I quickly cut into the other lane and the mother ****er went through the red light. So then I go and the peice of shit totally stops in the middle of the road so I call the police, since I was heading into Lenexa to Overland Park the operator switches me to the OP dispatcher I tell her whats going on she then puts me on hold for about a minute :shake: I notice a cop car turns onto another street doing nothing I then inform the operator i'm now behind the guy about another mile down still no cop the operator acts as if its not a big deal... My question is theres a cop not even a mile away from this jerkoff who almost hit somebody is this not a serious complaint?

Probably one of their own. Or being lazy. I have told this before. Coming home from a party. Sports car driving like an idiot on waukomis and swerving in front of me. Look down for a sec then up. Car vanished. Drive a lil bit further. Car upside down in the creek. Get out rush down there with my cell to make sure they don't drown. Two bolt from the car run up the hill and literally another vehicle comes by and picks them up. Well I call police. Tell them what happened.

Idiot dispatcher says they can't come out unless there is a cross street. No cross steet and there was no road around. So she says sorry we can't come and hangs up on me. So I drive to gladstone pd to tell them and they had the doors locked there. So I had to tell them what happened from the intercom. Said not their jurisdiction and they will try to notify the correct authorities.

Of course I also know some civic leaders who drive drunk all the time and police turn a blind eye.

NewChief
10-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Isn't google working on self-driving cars right now? I thought I saw some headline about it.

Fish
10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Isn't google working on self-driving cars right now? I thought I saw some headline about it.

"Working on" hell.... they're already driving around...

They do have an actual human in them, but the human isn't doing the driving..

Chocolate Hog
10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
So did they get caught? WTF? Why leave us hanging?

I don't know like Capone said the operator told me to quit following the guy and so I did. Not really because she told me to but because the dude would randomly stop in the road. He did this twice while I was following him then he'd start to pick up speed and swurve.

Lonewolf Ed
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Are you sure he was not texting instead of driving drunk? It can be hard to tell the difference a lot of times.

BWillie
10-19-2010, 10:56 AM
And that tard should get a much harsher punishment than someone 1 beer over the limit.

Punishment should fit the crime...

See I agree. The DUI rule is in effect because alot of people cannot handle their booze and are irresponsible after drinking. They let their guard down and are careless. The DUI limit is there because of the stupid people. Obviously even having a few can cause you to be somewhat impaired, but not everybody is going to plow through a red light even at .14. Everybody is different. Most people realize they may be impaired, drive slower, more careful, and accordingly. Not that it is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

When I got my DUI, I wasn't piss on a cop drunk. I had a few too many, I knew I was real close. I didn't signal when changing lanes on Metcalf at 3 AM. Bad idea. I didn't hit anybody. I refused to blow, which is a bad idea in the state of Kansas. All my friends in law school up in Iowa told me to never blow in Iowa, but I guess it depends state to state because all the attorneys I talked to said to blow in Kansas, don't blow in Missouri. I probably would have blew a .11 or something. Because I didn't blow...you lose your license for 1 year in Kansas. I repeatedly asked for a blood test, because I thought it would be more accurate and have heard stories about those breathalyzers but as I found out after, you only get that right after you blow.

DUI's are bad, and there should be punishment for it, especially on habitual offenders....but people that act like people that have had DUI's are harsh criminals are offbase. In Kansas particularly, you cannot plea down the following crimes only: Murder, Rape.......DUI. Yeah, lets group DUI in with those.

redgoldexpress
10-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I believe that drunk drivers or drivers under any type of influence are a serious threat to both themselves and other drivers on the road. I do know this first hand because 10 years ago up in Wisconsin a 17 year old drunk driver that was also high as a kit hit my grandparents vehicle on the drivers side at a speed of 70 m.p.h. in a 35 m.p.h. zone. The teenager ran a red light. I have also done volunteer firefighting and have seen first hand on several occasions of the impact of MVA of someone under the influence can have on someones lives reguardless of injury or loss of lives.

MadMax
10-19-2010, 10:21 PM
I drive better when I'm drunk.. Seriously though, people who taext or talk on the phone or eat while driving are just as much a threat. BTW I haven't driven drunk in over 10 years so I was J/k

ILikeBigTiddys
10-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't think drunk drivers are serious criminals. Texting while driving is worse. Jeez

KurtCobain
10-20-2010, 02:17 AM
I don't think drunk drivers are serious criminals. Texting while driving is worse. Jeez

yeah fucking right
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Kool-aid
10-20-2010, 04:18 AM
I've had similiar things happen. Driving on the highway and happened to be crossing into another area so they put me through to another dispatch. Then that dispatch put me through to another. It was pretty annoying and I know they can't control everything. But why couldn't they just tell a state highway patrol officer?

LaChapelle
10-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Getting drunk drivers off the road
or smaller government
it's a conundrum

chris
10-20-2010, 06:28 AM

Sad, very sad. Wait till someone you know is killed or injured by a drunk driver.

They sued him for everything he had. Wasn't much.

Mr. Kool-aid
10-20-2010, 07:08 AM
How on earth is texting the same as driving drunk? Yes both are stupid. But driving drunk affects your entire driving ability. Texting effects a few seconds.

notorious
10-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Texting = Eyes off the road

Driving around .08 = Paying attention like a hawk

I am not defending either one, but we have to use some common sense here.

thigpenfan
10-20-2010, 07:27 AM

I thought there was 2 cops for every person in Lenexa, bunch of assholes will pull you over for going 2 miles above the speed limit but when a real criminal is driving drunk swerving into people they are nowhere to be found.

thigpenfan
10-20-2010, 07:29 AM
I drive better when I'm drunk.. Seriously though, people who taext or talk on the phone or eat while driving are just as much a threat. BTW I haven't driven drunk in over 10 years so I was J/k

I drive better when I'm stoned.

ClearmontChief
10-20-2010, 08:41 AM
About 2 months ago up here in Iowa, a group of 4 American Legion riders from our town were coming home from Sturgis...never made it.

A 21-year old, drunk x 4 the legal limit, swerving from ditch to ditch in an interstate construction zone killed them instantly. Several witnesses had called 911, dude even made a stop at a convience store, bought more beer and stumbled into a guy...the guy on the phone with 911. Got back in his truck and continued his journey North on I-29, swerving. Swerved one more time right into the path of the 4 Southbound cyclers. 3 pronounced dead at the scene, one made it to Omaha and died soon there after.

Apparently, they say the Cops showed up at the convience store about 2-minutes after the dude left...didn't catch up to him in the interstate construction (2-way traffic) zone before the accident.

Yeah, I would consider Drunk Driver's actions seriously criminal.

DaFace
10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
They take that seriously here. A friend of mine was driving on the highway and noticed a guy swerving all over the place. He called the State Patrol (they have a speed dial *CSP that they tell you to call), and withing 5 minutes there were four different patrol cars hunting the guy down.

jAZ
10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
...because I figured he was going slow and wouldn't hurt anyone.
That's pretty much exactly the same rationalizing the drunk did when getting into the car. "I'll be fine! I'll just drive slowly! I won't hurt anyone."

Demonpenz
10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
they may not be drunk, they may just be asian

Hug it Out Dan
10-20-2010, 10:02 AM
There's a difference between being shit drunken hammered, than busted because you're over a .08 limit.

Most (males) can drink 2-3 beers within an hour and be perfectly okay to drive home. Problem is, 2-3 drinks in an hour and legally you're over the limit. Hell most people can go out to eat after work for a happy hour and down a couple while eating, and still it would be illegal to drive home. It's just now the law has a no-tolerant view on this and law enforcement has to draw the line somewhere because women who are 5'3 and 100lbs can't handle their licquor like a 6'3 225 male can, and you can't favor males over women because well....that just wouldn't hold up in court. Hell I've blown over a .14 and I didn't even feel drunk.

Now if you're out on a fri night, been bar hoppin' for the last 3-4 hours and have had a few drinks each hour, that's 10-12 (or even more w/ shots) drinks, so no i absolutely don't think people should be driving in those cases. But .08??? That's too low IMO to call it "intoxication".