PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs McCluster at the #2 wideout position

Coogs
10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
What did you think of the results Sunday? No, he really didn't have any big catches out of that spot, but many of our other receivers seemed to be more "open" than previous games.

Was it just poor pass defense by the Texans, or did the threat of McCluster on the outside combined with the pass catching skills of Moeaki in the middle provide Bowe more operating room than when Chambers was the #2 WR?

Mr. Arrowhead
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
remember the Texans are dead last on pass defense, and allow 330 yards per game through the air.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Poor pass defense.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 09:32 AM
remember the Texans are dead last on pass defense, and allow 330 yards per game through the air.

I believe I mentioned their poor pass defense. It has been stated this team needs someone to stretch the field on the outside to open things up. McCluster can definately do that. Is he being groomed to take over that role in the future? He is not quite a big as Steve Smith, but he is close.

DMAC
10-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Chambers has been non existant this year. Keep it rolling with the McCluster Bomb.

Mojo Jojo
10-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Bad Defense. I could get open vs. the Texans.

NewChief
10-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Not sure from a strategic standpoint, but I wasn't impressed with McCluster's elusiveness in this game. He had the ball in space with single tacklers several times, and he got dropped. I'm a fan of the guy, but he's going to have to make guys miss when he gets the ball with some room.

DMAC
10-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Not sure from a strategic standpoint, but I wasn't impressed with McCluster's elusiveness in this game. He had the ball in space with single tacklers several times, and he got dropped. I'm a fan of the guy, but he's going to have to make guys miss when he gets the ball with some room.He was texting and juking.

Iowanian
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Bernard Pollard is one of their starting safeties....Of Course the WRs were open.

the Talking Can
10-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Not sure from a strategic standpoint, but I wasn't impressed with McCluster's elusiveness in this game. He had the ball in space with single tacklers several times, and he got dropped. I'm a fan of the guy, but he's going to have to make guys miss when he gets the ball with some room.

how dare you

apologize to Dexter and his midget fans

ElGringo
10-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I think he will eventually step up and be a serviceable number 2, just needs to get used to the NFL game.

Iowanian
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
I thought it was kind of stupid to have him at the number 2 spot, as I think he's much more likely to be effective in the slot.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I think he will eventually step up and be a serviceable number 2, just needs to get used to the NFL game.

That is what I am wondering. When he was drafted, it seems he was slated for the Wes Welker slot role. That really has not happened to this point. Could he develop into an outside type of WR to compliment Bowe? I had not really thought about that possibility much until he lined up in Chambers spot Sunday.

Three7s
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM
McCluster isn't a #2 receiver. Next draft, this should be top priority, other than QB.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
He shouldn't be our #2.

DMAC
10-19-2010, 10:57 AM
He shouldn't be our #2.

What's the alternative?

Count Alex's Losses
10-19-2010, 10:59 AM
McCluster isn't even a #3 receiver.

He's great at running little screen plays though.

Don't ask him to beat a DB though.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
McCluster isn't even a #3 receiver.

He's great at running little screen plays though.

Don't ask him to beat a DB though.

Hes a better player at this point in his career than Dante Hall was.

Sometimes we expect too much out of rookies....

Count Alex's Losses
10-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Dante Hall was given 0 fucking chance his first two years in the league.

Huge difference.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 11:07 AM
What's the alternative?

Honestly? I'd rather see Horne out there.

milkman
10-19-2010, 11:08 AM
McCluster isn't a #2 receiver. Next draft, this should be top priority, other than QB.

There's the problem.

We still have to fix the QB position and, as you noted, that has to be the priority, which makes fixing the WR position somewhat problematic.

There's going to be a hell of a first round WR class.

The question becomes, will there be someone in the second round who can be the fix we need at WR?

OnTheWarpath58
10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
There's the problem.

We still have to fix the QB position and, as you noted, that has to be the priority, which makes fixing the WR position somewhat problematic.

The question becomes, will there be someone in the second round who can be the fix we need at WR?

You can't help but think that to a degree, getting a legitimate QB will help the WR corp somewhat.

There are two guys in Indy from BYU and Mount fucking Union that look better than they are because of the QB play.

Tom Brady made Deion Branch look like a superstar Sunday, after several years of people thinking he was done.

jspchief
10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Small guys don't typically make for good deep threats.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
There's the problem.

I don't think we're going to be high enough to grab a top QB next year. Maybe we grab a WR next year and a QB in 2012.

Although the FO will probably just try and trade for one before the draft.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
You can't help but think that to a degree, getting a legitimate QB will help the WR corp somewhat.

There are two guys in Indy from BYU and Mount ****ing Union that look better than they are because of the QB play.

Tom Brady made Deion Branch look like a superstar Sunday, after several years of people thinking he was done.

How is Bradford getting it done without Randy Moss and Terrell Owens??

OnTheWarpath58
10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
How is Bradford getting it done without Randy Moss and Terrell Owens??

Exactly.

He's outproducing you-know-who throwing to Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson.

DMAC
10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Exactly.

He's outproducing you-know-who throwing to Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson.And now Danario Alexander...who we will be kicking ourselves for not getting...

the Talking Can
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
There's the problem.

i can't say with any claim to expertise, but it sure seems as if there is a bumper crop of WRs this year in college, well beyond the first round...

Fish
10-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Exactly.

He's outproducing you-know-who throwing to Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson.

I wonder how differently Cassel would look as the Rams' starting QB?

:hmmm:

milkman
10-19-2010, 11:22 AM

There are two guys in Indy from BYU and Mount ****ing Union that look better than they are because of the QB play.

The fact is, unless Horne steps up and proves to be a big time WR (I'm not holding my breath, even though I did like what I saw in preseason), we still need a big time receiver who can stretch the field.

I have been bouncing the idea in my mind of making a trade for Stephen McGee, who I was very impressed with in the preseason, so that we have that first round pick to use on WR.

I know people don't like the idea of trading for another team's backup, but as we see with Shaub, and Favre before him, if you trade for the right guy, it can work.

I think McGee is the right guy.

Mr. Laz
10-19-2010, 11:23 AM
we should have more options at WR ... outside of his TD return, DMC has been pretty bleh.

What gets me most is his lack of elusiveness. That's what he is all about and he hasn't shown much.

so far he can't make people miss and he gets tackled by a stiff breeze.

he's still a rookie but the elusiveness should be natural

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 11:25 AM
The fact is, unless Horne steps up and proves to be a big time WR (I'm not holding my breath, even though I did like what I saw in preseason), we still need a big time receiver who can stretch the field.

I have been bouncing the idea in my mind of making a trade for Stephen McGee, who I was very impressed with in the preseason, so that we have that first round pick to use on WR.

I know people don't like the idea of trading for another team's backup, but as we see with Shaub, and Favre before him, if you trade for the right guy, it can work.

I wouldn't mind trading for someone like Skelton.

OnTheWarpath58
10-19-2010, 11:26 AM

I agree that we need a field-stretcher.

But you're more likely to get that guy in the 2nd or later, and less likely to get a franchise QB in the 2nd or later.

Personally, I think Cassel will still fucking be here in 2011, so the R1 pick will be available to take a WR.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Personally, I think Cassel will still fucking be here in 2011, so the R1 pick will be available to take a WR.

This.

They might make him take a paycut....but I have a feeling that our 1st round pick will be a WR.

NewChief
10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
we should have more options at WR ... outside of his TD return, DMC has been pretty bleh.

What gets me most is his lack of elusiveness. That's what he is all about and he hasn't shown much.

so far he can't make people miss and he gets tackled by a stiff breeze.

he's still a rookie but the elusiveness should be natural

I watched him single handedly dismantle my Razorbacks last year, so I'm a believer in his potential. That being said, I agree. He's lacking elusiveness at this point.

keg in kc
10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought it was a good sign that the running game blew up against what had previously been a solid run defense. That means McCluster probably wasn't/isn't any kind of liability in that aspect of the position. Route running and separation at the pro level are things that will take time, especially since the guy had been a running back in college for the last two years. In any case, I'd like to see how he performs for the rest of the year before making a judgment either way on the guy as a possible receiver. Not enough data five games in.

Mi_chief_fan
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I thought it was a good sign that the running game blew up against what had previously been a solid run defense. That means McCluster probably wasn't/isn't any kind of liability in that aspect of the position. Route running and separation at the pro level are things that will take time, especially since the guy had been a running back in college for the last two years. In any case, I'd like to see how he performs for the rest of the year before making a judgment either way on the guy as a possible receiver. Not enough data five games in.

Well said.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM

IF the Cowboys even want to trade him...

Coogs
10-19-2010, 11:41 AM

That is kind of what I was referring to in my opening post. Do you think we saw enough improvement in the passing game to try him at #2 the rest of the season if need be? If so, that would provide much more data to answer a few questions. And Chambers has been nearly invisible so far, plus the other guys could not get open unlkie this past weekend.

tyton75
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I thought it was kind of stupid to have him at the number 2 spot, as I think he's much more likely to be effective in the slot.

This

Lzen
10-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't think DM is ever going to be a #2 WR. He is a 3rd/slot guy. That, IMO, is his ceiling. He will struggle mightily to get out on routes against big, physical, NFL corners that play bump and run.

WTF is up with Chambers? Was he injured or benched?

LaChapelle
10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Chambers has soaked his ring finger in hard cider
and will return to blocking

milkman
10-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't mind trading for someone like Skelton.

There wre a number of QBs that I liked what I saw in the preseason, but none were nearly as impressive as what I saw from McGee this preseason, and I watched a ton of preseason ball.

milkman
10-19-2010, 11:54 AM
IF the Cowboys even want to trade him...

Romo is only 30, so he has a few good years left.

The Cowboys would probably be willing to trade Mcgee for the right price, given that fact, because they would liklely lose him to free agency for nothing otherwise.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 11:56 AM
There wre a number of QBs that I liked what I saw in the preseason, but none were nearly as impressive as what I saw from McGee this preseason, and I watched a ton of preseason ball.

Well I brought up Skelton because the Cardinals already have Hall.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Dmc isn't big enough to get off press coverage and isn't fast enough to be a #2. His strength is in his quickness and elusiveness.

He belongs in the slot. The problem I see is that he hasn't had much opportunity to accelerate into space. He needs a deep threat to open up some space in the underneath game. If he's catching a quick hitch, he has to start his burst there as opposed to getting a running start.

He needs to play a welker role. You have a deep threat to pull the safeties back and let him drag underneath the coverage. We've seen that when he gets to full speed, he can make people miss.

milkman
10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree that we need a field-stretcher.

But you're more likely to get that guy in the 2nd or later, and less likely to get a franchise QB in the 2nd or later.

Personally, I think Cassel will still ****ing be here in 2011, so the R1 pick will be available to take a WR.

I just have a hard time believing that Pioli and Haley will move forward with a guy with Cassel's limitations.

I think they want to win a championship far more than they wanty to prove they made the right decision to trade for him.

But you may be right, and they will keep him for the 2011 season, which eliminates the QB-WR first round connundrum.

Rausch
10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
This.

They might make him take a paycut....but I have a feeling that our 1st round pick will be a WR.

It should be.

milkman
10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Well I brought up Skelton because the Cardinals already have Hall.

I liked what I saw from Skelton too.

I was just pointing out that no one impressed me more than McGee.

No one even came close.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I liked what I saw from Skelton too.

I was just pointing out that no one impressed me more than McGee.

No one even came close.

That's cool. I never got a chance to see McGee during the preseason.

All I know is that we're going to be hard pressed to get a QB and a WR in next years draft. That is unless they go after Ponder in the 2nd round.

OnTheWarpath58
10-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I just have a hard time believing that Pioli and Haley will move forward with a guy with Cassel's limitations.

I think they want to win a championship far more than they wanty to prove they made the right decision to trade for him.

But you may be right, and they will keep him for the 2011 season, which eliminates the QB-WR first round connundrum.

I don't see how they have any choice but to pay him his roster bonus and keep him for at least 2011. They really painted themselves into a corner.

I highly doubt that they are going to flush all the progress of this year by taking several steps back and start a rookie QB in 2011. The growing pains start all over. Which is why people were begging to draft Sanchez as insurance.

Meanwhile, we have no one as insurance.

Which all but insures that Cassel will be the starter in 2011 - it's not like solid QB's are going to be available in FA.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 12:05 PM
That's cool. I never got a chance to see McGee during the preseason.

All I know is that we're going to be hard pressed to get a QB and a WR in next years draft. That is unless they go after Ponder in the 2nd round.

Some of the draft sites are starting to discuss Stanzi (sp) from Iowa and the Chiefs in the same sentences in the 3rd to 4th rounds.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Correlation, causation, all that fun stuff.

milkman
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't see how they have any choice but to pay him his roster bonus and keep him for at least 2011. They really painted themselves into a corner.

I highly doubt that they are going to flush all the progress of this year by taking several steps back and start a rookie QB in 2011. The growing pains start all over. Which is why people were begging to draft Sanchez as insurance.

Which all but insures that Cassel will be the starter in 2011 - it's not like solid QB's are going to be available in FA.

That's the reason I'm thinking they'll try to find someone that is already in the NFL.

However, if they did decide to draft a QB, they'd be in better position than the Jets were last year with a rookie QB, because they've built through the draft, and these guys have a lot of years left.

And when you look around the league, QBs are having more success in their rookie years in the last 2-3 years than we've ever seen.

This, I think, is one of the by products of the so many rules favoring offenses.

milkman
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Some of the draft sites are starting to discuss Stanzi (sp) from Iowa and the Chiefs in the same sentences in the 3rd to 4th rounds.

I haven't had a chance to watch college ball this year, but if Stanzi is the same guy now as he has been in the past, just say no.

No, make that "Hell no".

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM
The only draft site I've seen that talks about Stanzi going to the Chiefs is Walter. That said, he's basically Craig Krenzel.

Dark Horse
10-19-2010, 12:18 PM
It is not unusual for an elusive runner to struggle as a rookie. Look at the way reggie Bush struggled coming into the NFL. The things that worked in college do not work against NFL db's.

One thing I noticed about Dex is that he makes his move too early letting the defender have time to react. He will have to learn to be more patient and set the defender up.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
The only draft site I've seen that talks about Stanzi going to the Chiefs is Walter. That said, he's basically Craig Krenzel.

It is being talked about in the draft forums at NFLDraftCountdown.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 12:50 PM
What about Pat Devlin?

Shogun
10-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Dexter and Chambers have a cookie race to decide the #2 slot. Make it happen. Loser eats the cookie

Mecca
10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
If this team wins as many games as it should with it's remaining schedule, they won't be in position to get any of those WR's people want.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
If this team wins as many games as it should with it's remaining schedule, they won't be in position to get any of those WR's people want.

Floyd or Baldwin both have a chance at falling.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Floyd or Baldwin both have a chance at falling.

I think Baldwin is going to be a riser actually, expecting him to be a top 10 pick.

Shogun
10-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Branson Marshall - 3rd round

Wes Welker - Undrafted

TO - 3rd round

Im not saying that its that common, kind of a dime in a dozen type situation, But we have Pioli, Finding a gem in the rough won't be hard. We should have no problem finding a WR in the later rounds

Fish
10-19-2010, 01:06 PM

Yeah. Everything they've said this year leads to this. Just about every part of the team except QB has progressed faster than expected this year. They've drawn lots of fans back in. They've got momentum. I can't see them hopping off the pony at this point to start over at QB.

I'm really thinking we're stuck with Cassel and the best we can hope for after the season is either a journeyman vet if Cassel bombs, or a later round potential QB project pick if Cassel only semi-bombs.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Wes Welker - Undrafted

TO - 3rd round

Im not saying that its that common, kind of a dime in a dozen type situation, But we have Pioli, Finding a gem in the rough won't be hard. We should have no problem finding a WR in the later rounds

I was just pointing out this team may win to many games to get one of the WR's everyone wants. Not that it would be impossible to get a WR.

milkman
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Wes Welker - Undrafted

TO - 3rd round

Kurt Warner-undrafted
Matt Schaub-3rd round
Tom Brady-6th round

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
I think Baldwin is going to be a riser actually, expecting him to be a top 10 pick.

His QB sucks.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I was just pointing out this team may win to many games to get one of the WR's everyone wants. Not that it would be impossible to get a WR.

North Carolina WR's seem to be doing well early in their NFL careers. I recall seeing Greg Little once or twice the past couple of years make some nice plays. Not sure if he fits the profile with the contact with an agent/NCAA thing, but he may be a 2nd round type of guy. :shrug:

Mecca
10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
His QB sucks.

That shitty QB won't matter if he posts the 40 he claims he can, he claims he can hit sub 4.3 if he even comes close to that at his size, yea top 10 pick. He still makes huge plays with garbage QB's also.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
North Carolina WR's seem to be doing well early in their NFL careers. I recall seeing Greg Little once or twice the past couple of years make some nice plays. Not sure if he fits the profile with the contact with an agent/NCAA thing, but he may be a 2nd round type of guy. :shrug:

Spending a year not playing is gonna hurt those NC guys, probably Quinn and Austin more since Quinn was thought of as a top 10 pick and Austin was a 1...I'll be curious to see if these guys fall with a full year of not playing.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 01:15 PM
That shitty QB won't matter if he posts the 40 he claims he can, he claims he can hit sub 4.3 if he even comes close to that at his size, yea top 10 pick. He still makes huge plays with garbage QB's also.

There is no way that Baldwin runs a sub 4.3. I can see him running a 4.45.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
There is no way that Baldwin runs a sub 4.3. I can see him running a 4.45.

He "claims" he's a 4.3 guy, I'm pretty curious if he can actually do it.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Spending a year not playing is gonna hurt those NC guys, probably Quinn and Austin more since Quinn was thought of as a top 10 pick and Austin was a 1...I'll be curious to see if these guys fall with a full year of not playing.

Little situation should be similar to Bryant in the lack of playing time regard. Not sure on the character/talent side of things, but I have seen Little make some plays that were pretty impressive.

Dicky McElephant
10-19-2010, 01:18 PM
He "claims" he's a 4.3 guy, I'm pretty curious if he can actually do it.

I don't see it happening.

Even if he runs a 4.4-4.5 range.....he's still a Top 20 pick.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Little use to be a RB so he doesn't exactly have a lot of position experience either.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Little use to be a RB so he doesn't exactly have a lot of position experience either.

That would be a minus then. Boise State and Hawaii have some receivers being mentioned in 2nd to 3rd round areas. Any feelings on those guys?

Mecca
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Pettis is alright, the Hawaii guys eh, I'd have to see more of them a few years ago I loved Davone Bess, we shoulda picked him.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Dmc isn't big enough to get off press coverage

He was actually the strongest WR at the combine putting up the 225 lbs 20 times.

penguinz
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
He was actually the strongest WR at the combine putting up the 225 lbs 20 times.Strength and size are not the same thing.

ILikeBigTiddys
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM

nm

BAtheBEAST
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Stars & Strikes! Branden Albert and Leonard Pope of the Chiefs are hosting a charity bowling event to benefit the Make-A-Wish-Foundation on Tuesday, November 2nd from 6-9 PM at Lucky Strikes Lane on Grand Boulevard. $20 cash includes your bowling and shoes. Bowl alongside Derrick Johnson, Brandon Flowers and other Chiefs all for a great cause!

Demonpenz
10-19-2010, 04:01 PM
i think this is a crock of shit

Coogs
10-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Strength and size are not the same thing.

I realize that. But his size is in the area code of what Jackson from Philly is listed at, so it is possible for McCluster to play on the outside.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
I realize that. But his size is in the area code of what Jackson from Philly is listed at, so it is possible for McCluster to play on the outside.

I think these are two different receivers. First, while Desean Jackson is short, McCluster is a big 2 inches shorter, so if you get him on too many deep routes, your QB can lose track of him and/or be forced to throw to a smaller target.

Second point being that I just don't view Dexter as a vertical threat. He's at his most dangerous in open space with the ball in his hands.

I'd rather see him become a Wes Welker receiver, but realistically, that's going to be tough to do until we have some semblance of a deep threat.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I think these are two different receivers. First, while Desean Jackson is short, McCluster is a big 2 inches shorter, so if you get him on too many deep routes, your QB can lose track of him and/or be forced to throw to a smaller target.

Second point being that I just don't view Dexter as a vertical threat. He's at his most dangerous in open space with the ball in his hands.

I'd rather see him become a Wes Welker receiver, but realistically, that's going to be tough to do until we have some semblance of a deep threat.

I'm just talking about the remainder of this season. Chambers doesn't appear to be bringing anything to the table so far, and we need someone out on the opposite edge of Bowe. McCluster was there Sunday, and our passing attack was pretty good.

BossChief
10-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Some of the draft sites are starting to discuss Stanzi (sp) from Iowa and the Chiefs in the same sentences in the 3rd to 4th rounds.I wouldn't mind taking him in the 3rd or 4th round....if he continues to play the way he has this year so far, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a second round pick on the guy.

He is big, has a strong arm, most of the time is protective of the ball, has tons of experience in the pro set, is tough, goes through his reads much better than in years past and is a good clutch player. His best plays came when the team needed him to make them and he has made his set of receivers and tight ends look pretty damn good.

The kid can win football games.

I haven't had a chance to watch college ball this year, but if Stanzi is the same guy now as he has been in the past, just say no.

No, make that "Hell no".The kid has really stepped up this year when we have needed him. If you were to ask me last year if I were interested in drafting him, I would have told you no except if it was after round 4...now, I would spend a second rounder on him. This year he has stepped up big time.

Here is a link to his stats, even though I know you aren't a stat guy, the obvious improvement is impossible to ignore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188298

He is improved, but still makes his share of mistakes...but, who doesn't?

He would be a good pick anywhere after the mid second round and I believe he fits all the agenda of "The Parcells Rules" in drafting a quarterback.

Stop talking about Iowa players, you don't know what you are talking about.

Craig Crenzel? ROFL :shake:

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm just talking about the remainder of this season. Chambers doesn't appear to be bringing anything to the table so far, and we need someone out on the opposite edge of Bowe. McCluster was there Sunday, and our passing attack was pretty good.

I just don't think he's the guy.

Horne, I think, provides more of a vertical threat. McCluster isn't a guy I want stretching the field. I want a vertical threat who opens up the short field for McCluster. I definitely would like to see Horne get more reps over Copper.

Coogs
10-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I just don't think he's the guy.

Horne, I think, provides more of a vertical threat. McCluster isn't a guy I want stretching the field. I want a vertical threat who opens up the short field for McCluster. I definitely would like to see Horne get more reps over Copper.

Fair enough! :thumb:

Coogs
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't mind taking him in the 3rd or 4th round....if he continues to play the way he has this year so far, I wouldn't be opposed to spending a second round pick on the guy.

He is big, has a strong arm, most of the time is protective of the ball, has tons of experience in the pro set, is tough, goes through his reads much better than in years past and is a good clutch player. His best plays came when the team needed him to make them and he has made his set of receivers and tight ends look pretty damn good.

The kid can win football games.

The kid has really stepped up this year when we have needed him. If you were to ask me last year if I were interested in drafting him, I would have told you no except if it was after round 4...now, I would spend a second rounder on him. This year he has stepped up big time.

Here is a link to his stats, even though I know you aren't a stat guy, the obvious improvement is impossible to ignore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188298

He is improved, but still makes his share of mistakes...but, who doesn't?

He would be a good pick anywhere after the mid second round and I believe he fits all the agenda of "The Parcells Rules" in drafting a quarterback.

I have not got to see Iowa yet this year. Kind of looking forward to it. I thought his wide outs last year looked pretty fair too. #7 made some big plays last season at critical times.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Stop talking about Iowa players, you don't know what you are talking about.

Craig Crenzel? ROFL :shake:

God knows I was way off on Brian Bulaga

BossChief
10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I have not got to see Iowa yet this year. Kind of looking forward to it. I thought his wide outs last year looked pretty fair too. #7 made some big plays last season at critical times.

Yeah, McNutt is still making plays (though his touchdowns are down thus far) and Koulianos (#15) is also stepping up and showing he can too. Out of 25 catches so far, he has scored on 7 of them.

BossChief
10-19-2010, 05:40 PM
God knows I was way off on Brian Bulaga

Yeah, Im sure that came from extensive amount of watching him play, too. Cmon man. If so, what game did you watch that lead you to this conclusion?

There was only one player that did well against BB while at Iowa and it was when he came back from an illness too soon because the team needed him. The rest of the way, he basically owned everyone else.

FTR I called Bulaga a "Jake Long clone" that I felt would be better as a right tackle and would be a good pick, but nowhere near our selection at 5. All pro calibur right tackle (that can effectively play LT, jut not be dominant in the NFL there IMO, I could surely be wrong there) that would be a good pick anywhere after 15-20

I think he will stabilize that OL once he gets a chance to and I still say he is a better player than Okung, but if Im wrong there, so be it.

time will tell

If you have watched Iowa, how come you didn't have a clue about Moeaki?

BossChief
10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh and I think that DMC could play #2 (if we had a legit QB that could hit a smaller receiver in stride on a deep route once in awhile when teams stack the box and DMC is in man coverage), but his true role in this league IMO is in the slot and a move player that we should be able to utilize to attain premium matchups on slower defenders.

Mecca
10-19-2010, 05:45 PM
If Bulaga was really that good, why is he not playing? Why was GB working him at guard?

BossChief
10-19-2010, 05:53 PM
If Bulaga was really that good, why is he not playing? Why was GB working him at guard?
I dont know for sure, but I would venture a guess that its because he is versatile and they might look at it that their need is greater at guard than replacing either of their tackles.

He played guard at Iowa for awhile too, before being moved to left tackle. He has some good experience there.

Like I said though, with his shorter arm length I think his best pro position is gonna be at right tackle.

Coogs
10-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Still a valid question after this week I would thinik.

Brianfo
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd or 4th round is laughable. Take off your homer glasses. He won't even be drafted.

Coogs
10-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd or 4th round is laughable. Take off your homer glasses. He won't even be drafted.

That wasn't the question. McCluster running at the #2 spot for the rest of the season seem like a pretty good thing.... no? :shrug:

Mr. Laz
10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Still a valid question after this week I would thinik.he's still not a WR, he's a running back that catches the ball.

although he did show more elusiveness today.

desean jackson isn't much bigger than DMC ... listed as taller but lighter.

so i really,really hope next year DMC can improve his WR abilities.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
That wasn't the question. McCluster running at the #2 spot for the rest of the season seem like a pretty good thing.... no? :shrug:

I'm pretty sure he mostly played in the slot today.