PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs ranked 1st in Football Outsiders DVOA Ratings

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2010/week-8-dvoa-ratings

Week 8 DVOA Ratings
by Aaron Schatz

Is it time to take the Kansas City Chiefs seriously? It sounds crazy, since they just barely beat the only winless team in the league, but the Chiefs actually move up after that win and stand first in the Football Outsiders DVOA ratings. When we predicted before the season that Kansas City would win the AFC West, that prediction was based on the idea of an average team with an easy schedule taking advantage of the declining Chargers. That prediction seemed pretty spot on after a couple weeks, but as more time goes on, it seems pretty clear that the Chiefs are not an average team.

Right now, shocking as it is to say, the Kansas City Chiefs may be the most balanced team in the league. The Chiefs rank sixth on offense, fifth on defense, and 12th on special teams. With all the success they are having on the ground, you probably expect their offensive DVOA to be tipped in favor of the run. That's not the case. The Chiefs rank fourth in rushing DVOA, but only one spot lower -- fifth -- in passing DVOA. Yes, they rank fifth with Matt Cassel at quarterback and with Chris Chambers and his horrid 41 percent catch rate in the starting lineup (well, until they got wise and pulled him out after Week 5). Actually, because of Chambers' struggles, Dwayne Bowe is the only Chiefs wide receiver with enough targets to be listed in our main wide receiver stats. The Chiefs are 31st in the NFL with 187 net pass attempts, but when they do pass, they've been effective.

Actually the unit behind the success of the offense is probably the offensive line. Cassel has taken only eight sacks and the Chiefs are fifth in Adjusted Sack Rate after ranking 25th a year ago. They are third in Adjusted Line Yards and lead the league with runners only getting stuffed at the line on 11 percent of carries.

The defense is as balanced as the offense; the Chiefs rank ninth against the pass and seventh against the run. A year ago, the Chiefs ranked dead last on defense in Adjusted Line Yards and Adjusted Sack Rate. This year, they are 13th in ALY and 21st in ASR. Cornerback Brandon "I've never visited Tulsa with Rufus Wainwright so don't look at me like that" Flowers has taken what Bill Simmons always calls "the leap," a big reason why the Chiefs rank fourth in DVOA against number-one receivers. Some people think outside linebacker Tamba Hali has also taken "the leap," but those people are wrong. As Bill Barnwell pointed out in FOA 2010, Hali actually took the leap last year, and this year is just a continuation of that fine performance.

Early on, we wrote off the Chiefs' win over San Diego as a bit of a fluke. Then they beat the Browns and 49ers, so wasn't their 3-0 start just the easy schedule? Turns out that schedule isn't quite as easy as we thought it would be. Kansas City's schedule ranks 23rd through eight weeks. That's still below average, but not the easiest in the league. Their two losses, to Indianapolis and Houston, were fairly close. The Houston game is the only one this season where the Chiefs have a below-average DVOA. As for those first three weeks, the Chiefs truly outplayed the Chargers, with 51.3% DVOA in Week 1 compared to -19.5% DVOA for San Diego. And Cleveland isn't a joke; the Browns actually moved up to 16th in this week's ratings and are playing reasonably well against one of the league's hardest schedules.

How did the Chiefs go up when they barely beat Buffalo? Actually, the Chiefs end up with a 28.1% DVOA for this week's game. The Chiefs demonstrated they could move the ball significantly better than the Bills, a fact that was obscured when Todd Haley made fourth-down decisions that either didn't work out (Cassel getting sacked on fourth-and-2 from the Buffalo 19) or were certifiably insane (punting on fourth-and-8 from the Buffalo 33 instead of either going for it or trying a long field goal). In addition, the Bills fumbled three times but recovered all three themselves.

Now, I don't think that the Chiefs are truly the best team in the league, even if they have the best numbers so far. However, the Chiefs need to be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender. The Chiefs are certainly much more real than the Raiders, the team they visit this week in a game that we are contractually required to refer to as "unexpectedly important." Kansas City isn't a shoo-in, especially since the game is in Oakland, but the Raiders are one of many teams who, unlike Kansas City, do seem to be the product of massive league-wide schedule imbalance. Seven different teams have a .500 record or better despite a DVOA below average. St. Louis, Seattle, and Tampa Bay have had the three easiest schedules in the league.

Smed1065
11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Interesting!

TheGuardian
11-02-2010, 07:23 PM
And Oakland is ranked 22nd.

Interesting...............

TheGuardian
11-02-2010, 07:24 PM
And Oakland is ranked 22nd.

Interesting...............

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 07:25 PM
These are the guys that predicted big things for Hali this year.

Pitt Gorilla
11-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Chambers 41% catch rate? That is historically bad.

TheGuardian
11-02-2010, 07:27 PM
These are the guys that predicted big things for Hali this year.

Those guys actually get a lot of shit right.

ReynardMuldrake
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
That is badass.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
KnowMo, I've got some good news for ya. Denver isn't the worst team in the NFL, they are 29th!!!

CupidStunt
11-02-2010, 07:33 PM
They were all over Hali's nutsack before the season. Way before anyone else called him being a truly dominant player, if anyone actually predicted as much.

WhitiE
11-02-2010, 07:33 PM
KnowMo, I've got some good news for ya. Denver isn't the worst team in the NFL, they are 29th!!!

ROFL

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Here's the link to what they said about Hali before the season...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/cover-3/2010/cover-3-empty-bandwagons

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker/defensive end Tamba Hali
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20, Kansas City Chiefs 15

In outside linebacker Tamba Hali, the Chiefs have a pass rusher just waiting to get the recognition — and perhaps the traditional statistics — his level of play deserves. Compare Hali to another player who moved to 3-4 outside linebacker for the first time in 2009: division rival Elvis Dumervil of the Broncos … Dumervil had a huge lead in sacks and six more defeats … Hali made a higher percentage of his team’s plays than Dumervil did, despite the fact that teams ran at Dumervil like it was going out of style. He had more quarterback hits that didn’t result in sacks than Dumervil did, with several more hurries. Adding up their sacks, hits, and hurries yields a total of 41 quarterback “incidents” for Dumervil — and 41.5 for Hali. Furthermore, five of Hali’s 8.5 sacks resulted in a forced fumble or a safety; only three of Dumervil’s 17 sacks did the same.

-- Kansas City chapter of Football Outsiders Almanac 2010

After a lot of offseason barking about his financial circumstances, Tampa Bay Buccaneers left tackle Donald Penn signed a six-year, $43-million contract in late July. That's a lot of scratch for a team that ranked next to last in Adjusted Line Yards in 2009, though the ranking of 11th in Adjusted Sack Rate and sixth in ALY to runs around left tackle (dead last up the middle) would seem to indicate that Penn wasn't the main problem. Film tells me that right guard Davin Joseph is the team's best offensive lineman, but I'm generally in favor of the big uglies getting paid. That said, Penn's preseason hasn't been one of highlights and rainbows. In the Bucs' preseason win over the Chiefs, Penn was somewhat flummoxed by end Tamba Hali.

"I didn't play very well," Penn told the St. Petersburg Times. "I need to go watch film and see my mistakes and fix them and see what (Hali) saw that made him play different. He played different than he did against Atlanta (in the preseason opener). I need to make sure I'm not setting up wrong. It wasn't a matter of him manhandling me. But I do need to work on some things. It's good, I think. This is what the preseason is for. And Tamba Hali, he's a good defensive end. It's not like he's some slouch. But I need to get all this out of me in the preseason so this doesn't happen again."

Penn didn't give up a sack to Hali, who had one solo tackle and one pass defensed in the game. But it was Hali's hurry on Josh Freeman that cost the Bucs their starting quarterback for the rest of the preseason when Freeman broke the tip of his right thumb on Hali's helmet. I was intrigued by Penn's critical self-evaluation, and the notion that Hali played differently against the Falcons. This also presented a good excuse to talk Hali up as perhaps the most underrated quarterback disruptor in the NFL.
Against the Falcons, Hali was much more hesitant about charging into the backfield -- he was in read-and-react mode all the way. On the fourth play of the game, he put a nice little club move on Tony Gonzalez, who blocked him at the line, but he immediately read Michael Turner with the ball. It was clear to me that the Chiefs were concerned about leaving short-to-intermediate passing options open with their pass rush. On first-and-10 from the Kansas City 35 with 12:20 left in the first quarter, Hali actually started the pre-snap read out in space and only moved back to the line after receiver Roddy White motioned to the right side. The play was a handoff to Jason Snelling, and Hali waited out the handoff before making a move.

The first time Hali did line up in an obvious pass-rush situation -- second and seven from the Chiefs' 32 with 11:38 left in the first quarter -- he was too quick off the snap and got busted with an offsides call. On the next play, Hali dropped into coverage on a second-and-2, and the ball went to Snelling on a lead draw the other way for a gain of eight yards. In fact, the only pass play on the Falcons' first drive was a short pass to Turner for six yards on the third play of the game. On that play, Hali held back while left outside linebacker Mike Vrabel took an inside spin move and almost beat right tackle Tyson Clabo for a sack.

On the next play, first-and-10 from the Kansas City 19, he didn't even show a waist bend in his two-point stance. He was playing upright like a strong-side linebacker and helped tackle Snelling on a run around left tackle. I liked his ability to hand-check and sift through trash to get to the ball on this play. It wasn't until the next snap -- the eighth play of this drive -- that I saw Hali clearly line up in a position where you knew he was going to pin his ears back. He was boxed out by fullback Ovie Mughelli from an offset-I, and Turner took the ball inside that block for a three-yard gain. When Snelling ran right off a bunch right formation on the last play of the drive, Hali again dropped and read the play. Matt Bryant ended that drive with a 30-yard field goal.

As Penn said, Hali looked like a completely different player on the Buccaneers' first drive -- from the first defensive play with 14:11 left in the first quarter on the Kansas City 41, he was looking to get into the backfield. Penn pushed him back on a two-yard run by Cadillac Williams, and Hali got past Penn outside only to be blocked out by Williams on a quick slant to tight end (you'll pardon the expression) Jerramy Stevens. That five-yard gain later, Freeman called a time out in the face of a right-side overload blitz.

On the next play, Hali got in from a four-man front, only to see Freeman dump it off to receiver Mike Williams in the flat. That play went for 18 yards, down to the Chiefs' 18-yard line. On that play, Penn gave Hali brief resistance before heading upfield -- the Bucs wanted Hali to vacate his lane, leave the receiver screen as an open option, and allow Penn to block downfield. Two plays later, from the Kansas City 13, Penn took a deep drop back, leaving a good two-yard gap that Hali flew through. This was the play where Freeman suffered the injury, and it was a pretty good example of the benefits that occur when the Chiefs balance the positives and negatives of an aggressive pass rush.

Hali played those two games very differently. Perhaps it was a case of a vanilla defense early in the preseason, and it may have had something to do with the fact that Matt Ryan commands a bit more respect than Josh Freeman at this point. What is indisputable is that, if you're looking for the NFL's next great pass-rusher, Tamba Hali is a pretty good bet.
The question is how the Chiefs will use him – hopefully, he’ll be directed to the quarterback as much as possible. In 2009, Hali ranked ninth in adjusted quarterback hurries with 26 (between LaMarr Woodley and John Abraham), but first in team percentage of hurries. Kansas City’s suspect defense managed 80 team hurries overall, which gave Hali 32.5 percent. Only the Buccaneers, Chargers, Titans, and Bills had lower team hurry rates than Kansas City’s 14.5 percent. Hali isn’t just the Chiefs’ best pass-rush option – he may be their only one.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-02-2010, 07:57 PM
This is very interesting. It sounds great, but when I watch the Chiefs, I just don't see the best team in the NFL. I honestly don't see a top 10 team.

I think the Chiefs are an overachieving group. I appreciate their effort. I appreciate the performance that Haley coaxes out of them each and every week.

All that said..... they are still a team of average talent with an average QB. They can only go so far.

Smed1065
11-02-2010, 07:59 PM
This is very interesting. It sounds great, but when I watch the Chiefs, I just don't see the best team in the NFL. I honestly don't see a top 10 team.

I think the Chiefs are an overachieving group. I appreciate their effort. I appreciate the performance that Haley coaxes out of them each and every week.

All that said..... they are still a team of average talent with an average QB. They can only go so far.

What is the #1 concern?

We have many.

BigMeatballDave
11-02-2010, 08:03 PM

All that said..... they are still a team of average talent with an average QB. They can only go so far.Just average? If our QB was above average, we would likely be 7-0.

Hog Farmer
11-02-2010, 08:03 PM
I may have missed it in the OP but what is DVOA ?

Bill Lundberg
11-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Click on the link in the OP and read the caption to the photo on the right. I got goosebumps...

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM

It just shows just how much they are improved over last year. They are an efficient team that doesn't turn the ball over, gets very few negative plays, and doesn't commit penalties. Those are all traits of good teams. Throw in the way they run the ball, defend the run, even though they've given up some yards through the air they defend the pass well, and you have a highly rated team. I do find the passing rating strange and in no way is this the best team in the league, but it's still very intriguing.

Smed1065
11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Its crazy. No QB. 4-12?

:shake:

DaWolf
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM

I agree with this. Of course that's what everyone said about the 2001 Patriots as well, all the way until the final gun at the Super Bowl. I can only hope we are in a position to sniff playoffs at the end of the year. Before the season began, I didn't think that was going to happen...

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Here's the numbers that make KC's passing game efficient

9th in QB rating
5th in % of passes for 1st downs
2nd in interceptions for the season
2nd in sacks for the season

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Some individual stats

DVOA rank

Cassel 18th QB (37th last year)
Charles 1st RB
Bowe 31st WR
Moe 10th TE

O-line is 3rd overall
18th in power running
Fewest negative runs
5th in pass protection

AirForceChief
11-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Check out the big brain on FO! Freakin' great read...

DA_T_84
11-02-2010, 10:45 PM
But really, though.

Whats DVOA?

verbaljitsu
11-02-2010, 11:15 PM
DVOA= Defense-adjusted Value Over Average

explanation - http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#dvoa

Pawnmower
11-03-2010, 01:41 AM
My

D.ick
V.ery
O.rgasmicly
A.roused

Count Alex's Losses
11-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Click on the link in the OP and read the caption to the photo on the right. I got goosebumps...

THE FOOTBALL NERDS CAN'T BE WRONG!!!

Championship
11-03-2010, 06:10 AM
LOL

It's funny that you guys are taking these little stats to heart. You have played by far the easiest schedule in the NFL, none of these ranking mean much as you will see on Sunday.

Championship
11-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Chief fan 1: We got the shit beat out of us by the Raiders.....But hey, at least we still rank #2 in DVOA!!

SenselessChiefsFan
11-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Just average? If our QB was above average, we would likely be 7-0.

I think you either underestimate Cassel, or overestimate the talent at QB in the NFL right now.

Cassel, is right in the middle, IMO.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-03-2010, 08:16 AM
LOL

It's funny that you guys are taking these little stats to heart. You have played by far the easiest schedule in the NFL, none of these ranking mean much as you will see on Sunday.

How, exactly, is the Chiefs schedule any easier than the Raiders?

Pants
11-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I think you either underestimate Cassel, or overestimate the talent at QB in the NFL right now.

Cassel, is right in the middle, IMO.

And your name is an oxymoron.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
LOL

Take the damn Vader helmet off a bit, so you can read

The Chiefs are certainly much more real than the Raiders, the team they visit this week in a game that we are contractually required to refer to as "unexpectedly important." Kansas City isn't a shoo-in, especially since the game is in Oakland, but the Raiders are one of many teams who, unlike Kansas City, do seem to be the product of massive league-wide schedule imbalance. Seven different teams have a .500 record or better despite a DVOA below average. St. Louis, Seattle, and Tampa Bay have had the three easiest schedules in the league.

Marcellus
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
LOL

Can't you read? Oh wait I forgot, Raiders fan.So far we have played the 9th easiest schedule.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg361/troyacupp/RaidersParadeGay.jpg

SenselessChiefsFan
11-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Chief fan 1: We got the shit beat out of us by the Raiders.....But hey, at least we still rank #2 in DVOA!!

Hey, the Raiders are a solid team. They are a .500 team. Congrats. This game will be tough for the Chiefs.

See, the encouraging thing is that even if the Raiders win.... they won't have first place in the division. They will still be a half game out.... and the Chiefs get the Raiders at home to finish the season.

Add in that they have a lot of weak teams ahead on the schedule with the Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals, and Broncos.

The Raiders next three games are Steelers, Dolphins, Chargers.

Then, you have Jax on the road (not easy), Denver at home (revenge game).

Then, you have the Colts on the road, and finish with KC on the road.

You will do well to finish 8-8 even if you win this game.

The Bad Guy
11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Chiefs have played the easiest schedule? Really?

The 49ers, went into Oakland, and beat you. Congratulations on beating up on the Broncos and Seahawks, who can't play on the road.

Raider fan throwing that smack is hilarious.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Can't you read? Oh wait I forgot, Raiders fan.So far we have played the 9th easiest schedule.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg361/troyacupp/RaidersParadeGay.jpg

Of course not. He meant for his user name to be Chimpanzee.

Championship
11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Chiefs have played the easiest schedule? Really?

The 49ers, went into Oakland, and beat you. Congratulations on beating up on the Broncos and Seahawks, who can't play on the road.

Raider fan throwing that smack is hilarious.

So much fail in this post I don't even know where to start.

First off, the 49ers didn't come to Oakland. We went to their place. Yes, we did lose but in the grand scheme of things, that loss was good for us. Our players say that the loss to the 49ers was a turning point to this season. And so far, we have outscored our oppoenents 92-17.

Secondly, we didn't play Denver on the road. We went to their house and destroyed them.

And here is a stat for you to ponder on, Chief fan. The Raiders are undefeated in their last three AFC West games.

The Bad Guy
11-03-2010, 09:09 AM

First off, the 49ers didn't come to Oakland. We went to their place. Yes, we did lose but in the grand scheme of things, that loss was good for us. Our players say that the loss to the 49ers was a turning point to this season. And so far, we have outscored our oppoenents 92-17.

Secondly, we didn't play Denver on the road. We went to their house and destroyed them.

And here is a stat for you to ponder on, Chief fan. The Raiders are undefeated in their last three AFC West games.

I said Seattle couldn't win on the road. The Broncos are used to getting punked in their new place this year. They are 1-3 at home. Sorry for mixing up the 49ers - a team that has one home win all year.

The loss was a good one? Really? Great spin. A loss as a turning point. A Raider fan can teach something new.

Your best defensive player is on crutches and your best receiver is as well. Yes, I'm just frightened of Jason Campbell.

Make sure you come back here Monday so you can tell me how another loss was a turning point.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Chiefs have won their last games against each of the division teams. The Chiefs haven't lost in Oakland since 2002.

Now, on to stuff that actually matters.

I am not going to take anything away from the Raiders. The Raiders are a solid team. This game will be tough, and the Raiders have a good chance, and are favored.

Here is the reality: Even if you win this week, the Raiders will do well to hit 8-8.

The Raiders have had as easy of a schedule as the Chiefs have had to this point. The Raiders haven't capitalized.

If the Raiders lose this game, they have no shot. If they win this game, they probably have no shot.

Championship
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Chiefs have won their last games against each of the division teams. The Chiefs haven't lost in Oakland since 2002.

Now, on to stuff that actually matters.

I am not going to take anything away from the Raiders. The Raiders are a solid team. This game will be tough, and the Raiders have a good chance, and are favored.

Here is the reality: Even if you win this week, the Raiders will do well to hit 8-8.

The Raiders have had as easy of a schedule as the Chiefs have had to this point. The Raiders haven't capitalized.

If the Raiders lose this game, they have no shot. If they win this game, they probably have no shot.

There is no team left on the Raiders schedule who I can say without a doubt we will lose to except probably the Colts.

bsp4444
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
There is no team left on the Raiders schedule who I can say without a doubt we will lose to except probably the Colts.

You have the Chiefs...twice!

SenselessChiefsFan
11-03-2010, 10:16 AM

On any given Sunday.... that said, do you really think the Raiders are as good as the Steelers, Dolphins, or Colts?

I don't think the Chiefs are on the same level as those teams, and I think the Chiefs and Raiders are comparable. I think the Chiefs are slightly better from a consistency and coaching standpoint, but I think the Raiders have better talent overall.

Time will tell, but the Raiders are 4-4 against a soft schedule. I don't see them beating Colts, Steelers, and Dolphins. But, who knows. Time will tell.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
For the afternoon crew.

RustShack
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Do Raiders actually think they will win this game? ROFL

teedubya
11-03-2010, 01:33 PM
However, the Chiefs need to be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender.

JIMPx2

Pablo
11-03-2010, 01:47 PM
There is no team left on the Raiders schedule who I can say without a doubt we will lose to except probably the Colts.Yeah, and when you lose to the Colts it will probably be another "turning point". Something for your team to build on. Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

You lost to the shit-sack 49ers. We've lost to two teams that are actually worth their salt and neither one of those games were "turning points".

They were losses. We can only play the schedule put in front of us; and as long as we keep winning I don't give a shit if the teams we play have garbage records. I really don't.

We are going to kick the shit out of your squad on Sunday though. I'll go ahead and just declare we're gonna hang 40 on you. How about that? I don't have a reason either. Just absolute homer-ism. But it's gonna feel good smothering you turds in your house once again.

*Psst* You might want to run out to Lowe's and cut us some new keys. We've been carrying the same pair around since 2002 and they're getting a little rough.

Championship
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
However, the Chiefs need to be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender.

I love it!

Keep building those hopes up, Chief fans! Keep thinking that you are a playoff caliber, or hell, a super bowl contending team.

That way, when the inevitable happens, and the Chiefs get exposed, the devastation will cause even more pain to you guys.

Keep sipping the Koolaid, Chefs

Hog Farmer
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I love it!

Keep building those hopes up, Chief fans! Keep thinking that you are a playoff caliber, or hell, a super bowl contending team.

That way, when the inevitable happens, and the Chiefs get exposed, the devastation will cause even more pain to you guys.

The Chiefs are not a SB contender. Todd Haley has said many times we are not good enough to rely on our offense or our Defense to win games . We must win on Special teams too . All three phases. He's right and you know what . The Chiefs are 5-2 because they are solid in all three areas. We are not a hit and miss team. We are legit. The Raiders need to win this week and two more consecutive to be legit. But you know what , when your owner has just fallen from the top of an Aids tree bounced off every limb and landed in the fire pit it's not presumable that a team that leads the league in penatlies far and away has any chance of acquiring the "Legit" status.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I love it!

The refs seem to hate our team, so you have that going for you anyway.

Otherwise, well....ROFL