PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Into The Black Hole

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Into-The-Black-Hole/20b819c3-b578-4a85-84ad-fb490dcc2401

Into The Black Hole

By Josh Looney

Meaningful football returns to one of the best rivalries in all of sports

Batteries, beer cans and one-fingered salutes; it’s all part of the Raider game day experience. The costumes that make up the black hole tend to get the majority of recognition, but it’s the arrival into Raider Nation that takes the cake.

“I can tell you this much, it’s not a civil crowd at all and I’m sure they probably appreciate that,” G Brian Waters said. “They’d probably take that as a compliment.”

Much like in Kansas City, Sunday’s in Oakland start in the parking lot. Past that, the similarities between the two sets of fans don’t run parallel. For many members of Raider Nation, “welcoming” the opposing team is just one part of the pre-game routine.

“You don’t even have to get off the bus at all (to experience Oakland),” Waters said.” I remember my first time in Oakland. We’re riding in the bus and I’m asleep going to the game, because it’s a nice long drive from the hotel we stayed in, then all of a sudden you hear all of this noise…all of this BOOMP, BOOMP, BOOMP, BOOMP. You look up and it’s people throwing batteries at the bus.

“I just remember thinking to myself, ‘what did we just drive into?’ I thought we had just driven into hail because of all the people… and then everybody is shooting you the bird. I had never been in anything like it and it hasn’t changed. At least the parking lot atmosphere has been consistent over 11 years and I expect it to be the same come Sunday.”

While the pre-game festivities are charging along at full force, the intimidation factor inside the stadium is waning in Oakland. The Raiders are riding a local television blackout streak that extends into last season and all four of their home games have been blacked out in 2010. Last weekend, only 35,721 fans took in the live version of Oakland’s 33-3 dismantling of Seattle.

The spotty crowds are a bit of a surprise considering Oakland’s resurgence.

But this weekend may be different. The Chiefs are in town to continue one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports. Plus, Sunday’s game has the potential to play a major factor in the race for the AFC West crown. If there is any time for the Black Hole to re-ignite, it might as well be this weekend.

“For me, I’m pretty comfortable there, but for these young guys who have never been there before, it’s hard to describe it because I don’t think that there is a college atmosphere that you can compare it to,” Waters explained. “You try to tell them and then really they find out for themselves. When you’ve been there enough you know to stay out of the end zones, especially in the warm-ups. If you don’t want your mother to be talked about in a vulgar manner, you definitely stay away from the end zones.”

This series hasn’t been post-season relevant in years. The last time that Oakland entered November with even a .500 record was way back in 2002; which was the last year that the Raiders won the division. Likewise, Kansas City hasn’t had five wins by the first weekend in November since 2006; which was the last time that the Chiefs qualified for the playoffs.

Meaningful games are what Raider Week is supposed to be about, and this week should turn out to be quite the experience for Kansas City’s young crop of players.

“I don’t know much about it, but from watching SportsCenter every day they’ve been talking about how big this game is going to be with the rivalry and the past,” rookie S Kendrick Lewis said. “I’m looking forward to it. I’ve seen it (on TV) for many years watching Oakland and how their fans react to opposing teams. With the history that Kansas City has in Oakland, I know that it’s going to be even crazier.”

Historically speaking, Kansas City has been at home in Oakland. Despite an ugly overall record over the past handful of seasons, the Chiefs are currently riding a seven-game winning streak in the heart of Raider Nation. A win on Sunday would make Kansas City the first team to ever win eight consecutive road games in Oakland.

To do that, Kansas City’s veterans will aim to keep their younger teammates focused on the game that’s going on between the paint; not the one that’s happening behind the goal posts.

“The hardest part is not paying attention to all the fights that go on in the crowd,” Waters laughed.

The energy should be up this weekend, not only in the Black Hole, but for Chiefs fans watching across the country as well. If you’re part of the Chiefs faithful that plans on entering Oakland this Sunday, the players understand if you show your support without wearing red.

“A few years ago I had a couple of friends come to the game and I said to them, ‘I love y’all, but y’all don’t have to wear red. Don’t wear red,’” Waters remembered. “They were like, ‘well…we bought jerseys…’ I said, ‘for real, don’t wear red.’ So they wore blue.

“As the game went on, I guess another fan stood up and said, ‘I know there are a lot of undercover Chiefs fans out here and when we find you, we’re going to do something to you.’ My friends just slowly got up one-by-one and left the game. There are some brave souls out there that still wear Chiefs jerseys to the game.”

Being a Chiefs fan requires being a Raider Hater. That goes without saying. It always has and it always will. However, there is one area that both parties can agree upon…

This rivalry is much more fun when post-season implications are involved.

JD10367
11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Dupe thread.

Oh, wait, I thought this was about the hairy Mexican teen. NM.

Pestilence
11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
That shit better not be blacked out here.....otherwise I won't be watching the Chiefs this weekend.

Mr. Flopnuts
Historically speaking, Kansas City has been at home in Oakland. Despite an ugly overall record over the past handful of seasons, the Chiefs are currently riding a seven-game winning streak in the heart of Raider Nation. A win on Sunday would make Kansas City the first team to ever win eight consecutive road games in Oakland.

Let's fucking do this shit!

Demonpenz
merge with the shaving thread plz

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
That shit better not be blacked out here.....otherwise I won't be watching the Chiefs this weekend.

Heh, you should be good. They have a 2 for 1 ticket special right now in desperation. If things aren't going well by Friday, they'll start taking food stamps and cartons of smokes for tickets.

PunkinDrublic
11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Feel the wrath of a stadium that's three quarters empty.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Feel the wrath of a stadium that's three quarters empty.

Rawr.

http://www.fanboy.com/archive-images/hello-kitty-cat-clothing-01.jpg

gblowfish
11-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Heh, you should be good. They have a 2 for 1 ticket special right now in desperation. If things aren't going well by Friday, they'll start taking food stamps and cartons of smokes for tickets.

Fescoe was talking about this same thing today. They have a two for one ticket promo for this game to avoid a blackout.

Want something else that's really hilarious?

From the Raiders website, their "Fan Code of Conduct."

Fan Code of Conduct - (from Oakland Raiders Official Website)

Help us create the most fan-friendly environment in the NFL.

We want all fans to enjoy the action and excitement of Oakland Raiders football. We expect all who enter the Oakland Coliseum and surrounding parking lots to adhere to this Code. Failure to follow this Code may result in ejection from the Oakland Coliseum, revocation of ticket privileges, and/or arrest. Although Season Ticket Holders may provide their tickets to others, the account holder of record is responsible for the actions of those using their tickets.

The following actions are prohibited:

* Fighting, taunting, or engaging in any action that may harm, endanger, threaten, or bring discomfort to anyone in the Oakland Coliseum.
* Sitting in a seat other than one's ticketed seat location or refusing to produce one's game ticket upon request by Oakland Coliseum personnel.
* Possession or use of any illegal drugs or irresponsible use of alcohol.
* Loitering in concourses, aisles, tunnels or stairs.
* Smoking anywhere in the Oakland Coliseum, which is prohibited by the Oakland Municipal Code.
* Use of foul, abusive, or obscene language or gestures.
* Damage, destruction, vandalism, or theft of any property.
* Failure to follow the directions of law enforcement, security, ushers, ticket takers, or any other Oakland Coliseum personnel.
* Unauthorized use of disabled seating platforms or any seating designed for persons with a disability.
* Engaging in any action that causes a disruption, creates an unsafe environment, interferes with the game, or hinders the enjoyment of the game for others.
* Mistreatment of visiting team fans, including verbal abuse, harassment, profanity, confrontations, intimidation, or threatening behavior.
* Refusal to remove or turn inside-out clothing deemed offensive or obscene upon request by Oakland Coliseum personnel.
* Possession of any item listed on the Oakland Coliseum Prohibited Items List.

To report any conduct concern, text* "OAK" with your message and location to 69050. Oakland Coliseum personnel will confirm your message and respond as appropriate. Contact our Ticket Service Department at 1-800-Raiders to report concerns and share additional feedback.

*Standard text messaging rates apply

MOhillbilly
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
class

Rausch
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
So this isn't another Paris Hilton video thread?...

FAX
11-04-2010, 11:01 AM
“The hardest part is not paying attention to all the fights that go on in the crowd,” Waters laughed.

That's pretty funny.

FAX

thurman merman
11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Much like in Kansas City, Sunday’s in Oakland start in the parking lot.

:facepalm:

seriously?

KCUnited
11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Much like in Kansas City, Sunday’s in Oakland start in the parking lot.

Except we tailgate with grills and shit, they roll out of their box homes, Neosporin their buttholes, pull their pants up from around their ankles and huddle around the barrel fire.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM

seriously?

Oops. Looks like Josh Looney needs GC to start editing his articles.

Direckshun
11-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I soooooooooo want to go to one of these games with a Chiefs jersey on.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 01:18 PM

seriously?

We don't talk about that uncle to the kids...

Bob Dole
11-04-2010, 01:19 PM

That's pretty funny.

FAX

It's a lot like posting on chiefsplanet.com.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Except we tailgate with grills and shit, they roll out of their box homes, Neosporin their buttholes, pull their pants up from around their ankles and huddle around the barrel fire.

ROFL It wouldn't be funny, but it's true.

KCrockaholic
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM

That's pretty funny.

FAX

It speaks volumes to the intelligence level of Oakland.

Wyndex
11-04-2010, 06:02 PM
My goal one day is to attend a Chiefs/Oakland game in Oakland...sit in the black hole...decked out in Chiefs gear.. oh yeah

boogblaster
11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
I'd be angry too if me a-hole was bruised black from anal with me dad .......