PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Boulevard Nut Cracker Ale

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
So, I'm pretty new down here and was leery about finding decent brew. Boulevard is easily my favorite brewer on Earth now, as they have SO many different brews that I'm a big fan of. Their Amber rivals Alaskan Amber, which is my favorite beer of all.

Today I got my hands on a sixer of some Nut Cracker Ale, and all I can say is wow! This stuff is absolutely delicious. If you've never had one, treat yourself today. :toast: :BLVD:

|Zach|
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
http://beerme.com/graphics/brewery/0/495/23582.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
I also like the Single Wide. In fact, the only beer I've had from Boulevard that I don't like, is their Zon. I've enjoyed every single other kind I've had, and I've drank a few samplers.

Saulbadguy
11-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I find the Nutcracker atrocious. Nearly undrinkable. It reminds me of a pine car air freshener.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I find the Nutcracker atrocious. Nearly undrinkable. It reminds me of a pine car air freshener.

Really? I love it. Not as much as the Amber, or the Wheat, but I am digging it.

Fish
11-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Not a fan of their Nutcracker at all.

Big fan of the Irish Ale though. Bob's 47 is good too.

Have you had the Torpedo? Holy balls, a few of those and you can throw your vehicle over your shoulder and carry it home...

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Not a fan of their Nutcracker at all.

Big fan of the Irish Ale though. Bob's 47 is good too.

Have you had the Torpedo? Holy balls, a few of those and you can throw your vehicle over your shoulder and carry it home...

Never had the Torpedo, or the Irish Ale. Bob's 47 is a good brew though. ROR and I took some to the bash. It was tasty.

Fish
11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Never had the Torpedo, or the Irish Ale. Bob's 47 is a good brew though. ROR and I took some to the bash. It was tasty.

Sorry... nevermind... I'm thinking of Sierra Nevada Torpedo....

kstater
11-04-2010, 04:33 PM

You're referring to Sierra Nevada's Torpedo correct?

Edit: Yes

DeezNutz
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Been awhile since I've had the Nutcracker Ale. Need to try it again, but I did, however, stop before the end of Oct. to snag a final 12er of Bob's 47.

Detoxing
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Rogue Hazzelnut Brown Nectar Ale FTW!

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Rogue Hazzelnut Brown Nectar Ale FTW!

You should be able to get some Alaskan Amber living out there in CA. Try some, and thank me later.

Detoxing
11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
You should be able to get some Alaskan Amber living out there in CA. Try some, and thank me later.

I will be on the look out. Thanks. This thread has me craving some good beer, maybe I'll bust a mission and try to find it.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:41 PM
I will be on the look out. Thanks. This thread has me craving some good beer, maybe I'll bust a mission and try to find it.

It's my favorite of all time.

Donger
11-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I was 'raised' on Boulevard's Pale Ale. But, the last time I was in KC I had some, and it wasn't really very good. Pretty bland, actually.

Fish
11-04-2010, 04:45 PM
http://beerme.com/graphics/brewery/0/495/23582.jpg

I still think this is the best beer they produce....

|Zach|
11-04-2010, 04:49 PM
I still think this is the best beer they produce....

It is my fav beer I would say. If it isn't available I am good to go wth a Pale though. I am one of the few peeps that seems to enjoy Lunar Ale.

Bearcat
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Glad you like it. I've heard a couple people mention the pine cone thing, and I don't really get it, but there are plenty of others to try, I guess.

A manager at BWW noticed I was drinking a Single Wide IPA last week, said he was thinking about Nutcracker Ale, and asked if he should do it... I told him I'd stop by more and buy more stuff if he did. :)

First one of the season last night, from the QT a few blocks from my place....

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/2010-11-03185216.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
It is my fav beer I would say. If it isn't available I am good to go wth a Pale though. I am one of the few peeps that seems to enjoy Lunar Ale.

I haven't had that one yet either, but I am going to pick some up the next time I see it. It's hard to find it around here.

KCUnited
11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
I wish they produced the Irish Ale year round. Tank 7 is my go to.

kstater
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM
I haven't had that one yet either, but I am going to pick some up the next time I see it. It's hard to find it around here.http://www.boulevard.com/beers/beer-finder/

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I wish they produced the Irish Ale year round. Tank 7 is my go to.

When does Irish come out? March?

Chocolate Hog
11-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Good shit.

Off topic: What happend to the puppet guy in Westport?

KCUnited
11-04-2010, 05:24 PM
When does Irish come out? March?
I believe its earlier like February, but I'm not a 100%.

EDIT: Roughly January to April.

DrRyan
11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
It's my favorite of all time.

If you are a fan of amber ales, give Bell's Amber Ale a try. Out of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Their Two Hearted Ale is a very good american IPA as well.

cdirty
11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
just got back from the store with a six of Single Wide.

Their smokestack series in the corked bottles are all fantastic as well.

Chiefs Rool
11-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I got me a Dogfish 90 minute IPA. I'm loving every minute of it. But the bad thing about Dogfish is that they have more demand than supply and I can have a hard time finding it.

stlchiefs
11-04-2010, 06:30 PM

I love Lunar and the new Pilsner is a great easy drinking beer. Wheat is still my go to of all beers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2010, 06:59 PM

Man, that Lunar Ale was deeeeeeeeee-licious!

Extra Point
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
If they sold it by the 20-pack, I'd consider buying it.

Marcellus
11-04-2010, 07:26 PM
The Smokestack series is the shit. Especially the Saison and Tank 7.

The Doublewide IPA is great too. I like all of them really.

Lzen
11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Sounds good. I love Blvd beer. I'll have to see if I can find some of that nutcracker ale.

Lzen
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Sorry... nevermind... I'm thinking of Sierra Nevada Torpedo....

Oh, that makes sense. That's some heavy stuff. Very bitter but tasty. However, that's nothing compared to their Bigfoot.

irishjayhawk
11-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Nutcracker is in third place as far as BLVD seasonals go. Bobs 47, Irish, Nutcracker and then way the hell down is Zon, but mostly because of the coriander.

Lzen
11-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Love the Pale Ale. Love the Single Wide IPA. Absolutely adore the Double Wide IPA. Too bad they only sell that in a 24oz wine style bottle. :(
I don't care much for Lunar, though. If I recall, its a Dunkelweis (sp?). Blvd and Sam Adams are 2 of my favorite brewers and I don't care for Sam Adams Dunkelweizen. Just not my style.

Lzen
11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
If you are a fan of amber ales, give Bell's Amber Ale a try. Out of Kalamazoo, Michigan. Their Two Hearted Ale is a very good american IPA as well.

Just tried the Two Hearted Ale recently off a recommendation here. Very good beer. :thumb:

Marcellus
11-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh yea Flop, if you get a chance go tour the brewery. It's pretty interesting and free beer!

BigOlChiefsfan
11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
As of this week, BLVD is selling 3 of their Smokestack series in 12 oz bottles, as 4-packs. I bought a little 4 pack of their Tank 7 today, they also have 6th Glass and Double Wide released in 12 oz 4's. Guy at Gomer's KS liquor store says they'll have the Dark Truth Stout in 12 oz 4 packs soon.
Tank 7 is pretty awesome for MY taste buds, and I prefer having these smaller bottles (tho' I did snag a 750ml of Seeyoulater...for later). Tank 7 might not be everyone's cuppa...but that's one nice thing about BLVD, even if you don't like this one or that one, they make something you'll like. Pretty danged good little brewery.

cdirty
11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
The Smokestack series is the shit. Especially the Saison and Tank 7.

The Doublewide IPA is great too. I like all of them really.

yes. the doublewide and saison are excellent beers. they pack quite a punch too.

Reaper16
11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
*checks in from Iowa City*

LOVE to see you guys talking about beer. It warms my heart.

Sure-Oz
11-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Tank 7 will be out in 12 oz bottles, cant wait

Sure-Oz
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
As of this week, BLVD is selling 3 of their Smokestack series in 12 oz bottles, as 4-packs. I bought a little 4 pack of their Tank 7 today, they also have 6th Glass and Double Wide released in 12 oz 4's. Guy at Gomer's KS liquor store says they'll have the Dark Truth Stout in 12 oz 4 packs soon.
Tank 7 is pretty awesome for MY taste buds, and I prefer having these smaller bottles (tho' I did snag a 750ml of Seeyoulater...for later). Tank 7 might not be everyone's cuppa...but that's one nice thing about BLVD, even if you don't like this one or that one, they make something you'll like. Pretty danged good little brewery.
Where'd you get the tank 7 12oz? how much was it? Just last week i bought a few of the normal bottles, cant wait to get some 4 packs

tank 7 is my favorite

kysirsoze
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Everytime I go home to KC I drink every Boulevard anything I can get my hands on. The only one I don't care for is Lunar Ale. I don't know anyone that likes it either. I have no idea why they continue to make that.

Pablo
11-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Blvd. Pale Ale is the tits.

KC native
11-05-2010, 12:20 AM
BLVD is my favorite all around brewer. My favorites from them are Double Wide and Tank. I'm glad they've aggressively expanded their distribution into Texas.

Fairplay
11-05-2010, 12:28 AM
Today I got my hands on a sixer of some Nut Cracker Ale, and all I can say is wow! This stuff is absolutely delicious. If you've never had one, treat yourself today. :toast: :BLVD:

The name itself turns me off from buying this. I will try others that have been suggested on this thread. Luner is awful beer, Blvd messed up on that one.

Saulbadguy
11-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Glad you like it. I've heard a couple people mention the pine cone thing, and I don't really get it, but there are plenty of others to try, I guess.

A manager at BWW noticed I was drinking a Single Wide IPA last week, said he was thinking about Nutcracker Ale, and asked if he should do it... I told him I'd stop by more and buy more stuff if he did. :)

First one of the season last night, from the QT a few blocks from my place....

Yeah - everyone's tastes buds are different. Some can detect the "pine", some can't.

KCUnited
11-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Good to hear about the Tank 7 12oz. Although the ol lady ordered me a Tank at Grinders the other week while I was in the can, came back to the 750 uncorked and a glass. Felt like I was in the club getting bottle service except around nothing but white folks and a goulosh smell in the air. Felt good, felt real good.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I got my 4 pack of 12 oz Tank 7 @ Gomers/KS (87th, west of I-35), paid $10/4 pack. Saw on facebook that MDL liquors, 95th just west of Antioch, has them @ $8.50 for the 4 pack. I imagine most of the metro liquor stores will have these 4 packs this weekend, and that's probably going to be the price range for the now.

DeezNutz
11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
You bastards and this fucking thread forced me to purchase a 6er of Blvd. Single Wide IPA, again.

Thank you.

wazu
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Wow. Do you also find that "so-called" perfectly prepared steaks at fine KC restaurants actually taste and smell like raw cow anus? Given how far out of whack your taste buds are, I'm guessing so.

Coogs
11-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Wheat! :thumb:

Sydd
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Boulevard Boss Tom's that was released earlier this year is amazing.

Fits great with Kansas City history also.

Can't wait until April. I think its the next seasonal run after Irish.

http://beernews.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/boulevard-boss-toms-golden-bock.png

Saulbadguy
11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow. Do you also find that "so-called" perfectly prepared steaks at fine KC restaurants actually taste and smell like raw cow anus? Given how far out of whack your taste buds are, I'm guessing so.

I find your posting atrocious, as well.

Phobia
11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I bought a sixer last night and had a Bob's 47. For me, Bob's isn't quite robust enough for an Oktoberfest. It's not bad but it's not something I'll seek out. In terms of readily available Oktoberfest brews in KC, Sam Adams is more than twice as good as Bob's.

The Nutcracker lacks some of the spicy bouquet I remember from years past. I can't explain it but I look forward to Nutcracker all year long. Cracking into that sixer last night was quite a disappointment. In fact, I even gave one away to one of my workers who drinks Busch Light. I wasn't even bothered when he didn't finish it.

Reaper16
11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Yeah - everyone's tastes buds are different. Some can detect the "pine", some can't.
It's dry-hopped with tons of fresh Chinook hops. If someone can't taste the pine then they cannot taste well at all. It means that their tastebuds are broken or damaged in a large capacity. This is a fact.

I love the aggressive hoppiness (for the style) in Nutcracker Ale.

RE Phobia -- the spices will come out more in a month or so. Nutcracker is pretty hoppy when super-fresh like it is now.

Bearcat
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Went on the tour today... they had a Single 7 Ace at the end, which is their Single Wide IPA and Tank 7, which I thought was pretty good. She also had me try their version of a black and tan, which they called a Velvet Elvis... Single Wide & Stout, which was delicious (uh, yeah, I couldn't write reviews for beer advocate).

Picked up a seasonal 4 pack of glasses, too, then went to Taqueria... good way to spend a Friday afternoon. :thumb:

Marcellus
11-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Leaving work here in 2 minutes to go buy some Blvd 21st Anniversary Fresh Hop Pale Ale. My buddy who manages a big liquor store with a huge beer inventory just text me that they were selling it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-21st-anniversary-fresh-hop-pale-ale/132784/

KCUnited
11-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Red X Riverside has the Smokestack 4 pks for $10.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Sure-Oz
11-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks Bigolechiefsfan and kcunited for the tank 7/ss 4 pack haeds up

NewChief
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Had some Tank 7 on draft while down in Little Rock this week for a conference. I really, really like that beer. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm hearing these 12 oz Smokestack's referred to as 'Little Smokies'. YMMV.

Bearcat
11-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Leaving work here in 2 minutes to go buy some Blvd 21st Anniversary Fresh Hop Pale Ale. My buddy who manages a big liquor store with a huge beer inventory just text me that they were selling it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-21st-anniversary-fresh-hop-pale-ale/132784/

What did you think of it? Anyone else try it? I bought a couple last Friday and drank one over the weekend.... I really hope it becomes a seasonal offering. I'm no beeradvocate reviewer, but it's my new favorite beer.

Lzen
11-23-2010, 08:37 AM

No reason to give Saul that much grief. Everyone's taste buds are different. After reading this thread, I decided to give the Nutcracker Ale a try. I wouldn't call it atrocious, but it is definitely not something I will purchase again.

On a related note, I have become infatuated with a beer that I first tried over the summer. Its called Hazed and Infused and its made by Boulder Beer Company. Rate Beer gives it a 90 rating. Yummy.

Bearcat
11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
No reason to give Saul that much grief. Everyone's taste buds are different.

True... except for the 21st Anniversary Pale Ale. If you don't like that stuff, something really is wrong with you.

;)

Saulbadguy
11-23-2010, 09:07 AM
No reason to give Saul that much grief. Everyone's taste buds are different. After reading this thread, I decided to give the Nutcracker Ale a try. I wouldn't call it atrocious, but it is definitely not something I will purchase again.

On a related note, I have become infatuated with a beer that I first tried over the summer. Its called Hazed and Infused and its made by Boulder Beer Company. Rate Beer gives it a 90 rating. Yummy.
Solid brew. Old Chicago has it on tap.

luv
11-23-2010, 09:10 AM
True... except for the 21st Anniversary Pale Ale. If you don't like that stuff, something really is wrong with you.

;)

Amber Ale has beat out the Unfiltered Wheat as my favorite. I really want to come up and tour again. :(

luv
11-23-2010, 09:11 AM

I liked the three from them I've tried. Hazed & Infused, Mojo, and Sweaty Betty. H & I is my favorite of the three.

Saulbadguy
11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I liked the three from them I've tried. Hazed & Infused, Mojo, and Sweaty Betty. H & I is my favorite of the three.

I've liked everything from them except "Buffalo Gold."

Not a fan.

Try "Never Summer Ale", it should be out now (it's a winter/seasonal beer). I also like the Singletrack IPA and Planet Porter.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 09:15 AM
What did you think of it? Anyone else try it? I bought a couple last Friday and drank one over the weekend.... I really hope it becomes a seasonal offering. I'm no beeradvocate reviewer, but it's my new favorite beer.
I thought it was pretty good. Not amazing, but rock-solid. I gave it a B+, 3.9/5.0 on BeerAdvocate. I wanted my score to come out lower, actually, but BA's grading system puts more weight on appearance than it should, and every Smokestack Series beer looks incredible.

It's very English in scope, what with the noble hops and the large amount of Maris Otter malt. In many respects it tastes like an Imperial English IPA more than an American Pale Ale. As the beer warms, the American hop varietals start to open up; the pineapple & citrus flavors from those Centennial hops then start to muddy up the grassy flavors from the European hop varietals (especially the Hallartau hops). It loses coherence as you drink it, basically.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Not a big fan of Bouly.

Bells has a Christmas brew out...anyone tried it?

luv
11-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Not a fan.

Try "Never Summer Ale", it should be out now (it's a winter/seasonal beer). I also like the Singletrack IPA and Planet Porter.

I'll look for it. Is it darker? I'll have to Google it.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM

Not a fan.

I'm generally very 'meh' on Boulder beers. Hazed is a very solid, if boring, pale ale. I DID drink a whole lot on Mojo Risin' on-tap this fall; it was all over the place down here in Tuscaloosa. Very affordable double IPA.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Not a big fan of Bouly.

Boooooooooooooooooooo.

Dartgod
11-23-2010, 09:23 AM

How in the holy hell did I miss this? :drool:

I'll be stopping at Lukas Liquor on the way home from work tonight
Yeah, I'm a hop head and this is one of my favorites.

luv
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
The Never Summer Ale sounds like it will be good. I want to try the Killer Penguin Barleywine when it comes out if I can get my hands on some. 10% alcohol by volume.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooo.

Well booo toooo yoooo toooo.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Well booo toooo yoooo toooo.
You're a lame.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 09:33 AM
You're a lame.I disagree. There is just so much better out there I would rather drink.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I disagree. There is just so much better out there I would rather drink.
Prove it.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Prove it.Prove there is better beer than Boulevard?

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Prove there is better beer than Boulevard?
Yeah. Tell me the beers on the market that are so far ahead of what Boulevard competitively offers that they cause you to not enjoy Boulevard product.

Lzen
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM

;)

Haven't tried that one as of yet, but I'm sure I'll love it as I'm a big Pale Ale fan.

Bearcat
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I thought it was pretty good. Not amazing, but rock-solid. I gave it a B+, 3.9/5.0 on BeerAdvocate. I wanted my score to come out lower, actually, but BA's grading system puts more weight on appearance than it should, and every Smokestack Series beer looks incredible.

It's very English in scope, what with the noble hops and the large amount of Maris Otter malt. In many respects it tastes like an Imperial English IPA more than an American Pale Ale. As the beer warms, the American hop varietals start to open up; the pineapple & citrus flavors from those Centennial hops then start to muddy up the grassy flavors from the European hop varietals (especially the Hallartau hops). It loses coherence as you drink it, basically.

I was reading reviews on there the other night and must have missed your name. I could sit for hours and just enjoy the smell of it, and I've never said that about another beer. A coworker and I never agree on beer, and he really enjoyed this one, which is why it's my belief that everyone will like it. :)

I'm going to Swagger tonight, hoping they still have some on tap. What are some comparable beers to try that I can find locally?

Amber Ale has beat out the Unfiltered Wheat as my favorite. I really want to come up and tour again. :(

I tried Amber Ale after the tour, and my impression, as well as a couple of coworkers', was it was a bit off... not sure why, exactly (uh, Reaper?), it just didn't hit the spot. I was a little disappointed after Flopnuts had compared it to the beer I tried in Seattle.

As far as the porter discussion, I also tried their version of black and tan... Bully and Single Wide, which was pretty good.

Bearcat
11-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Haven't tried that one as of yet, but I'm sure I'll love it as I'm a big Pale Ale fan.

It's hard to find in KC, but I heard it was on tap last week as far away as St. Louis.

I'm thinking of taking my last bottle to Thanksgiving dinner with the family, which would be awkward since I don't want to share and they don't drink beer anyway.... I guess it's okay as long as I offer, knowing they'll say no, right? :D ...or maybe I'll bring something for everyone else, too. :shrug:

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I was reading reviews on there the other night and must have missed your name. I could sit for hours and just enjoy the smell of it, and I've never said that about another beer. A coworker and I never agree on beer, and he really enjoyed this one, which is why it's my belief that everyone will like it. :)

I'm going to Swagger tonight, hoping they still have some on tap. What are some comparable beers to try that I can find locally?

I tried Amber Ale after the tour, and my impression, as well as a couple of coworkers', was it was a bit off... not sure why, exactly (uh, Reaper?), it just didn't hit the spot. I was a little disappointed after Flopnuts had compared it to the beer I tried in Seattle.

As far as the porter discussion, I also tried their version of black and tan... Bully and Single Wide, which was pretty good.
1.) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/62973/?ba=Reaper16

2.) I don't think that you'll find anything quite like it anywhere. It's pretty unique. I'd suggest trying any fresh hop/wet hop pale ales you find. The Founders should be all sold out everywhere, but you can find the Great Divide, Sierra Nevada, and Schlafly fresh hop ales pretty easily.

3.) I still haven't had Boulevard's Amber Ale. It has not reached Alabama distribution. I'll try it next month when I'm back in KC.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Yeah. Tell me the beers on the market that are so far ahead of what Boulevard competitively offers that they cause you to not enjoy Boulevard product.Well jeez pissy....first of all I never said I dont enjoy them. I said I am not a big fan.

I enjoy Two Hearted Ale quite a bit and it has become a staple of my fridge.

I enjoy Sammys Cherry Wheat (although I am quite alone there).

I enjoy Sierra Nevadas pale ale a bit more than Boulys and tend to pick it up when I am feeling the pale.

Hell I even enjoy Fat Tire more.

Sorry I guess...

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Well jeez pissy....first of all I never said I dont enjoy them. I said I am not a big fan.

I enjoy Two Hearted Ale quite a bit and it has become a staple of my fridge.

I enjoy Sammys Cherry Wheat (although I am quite alone there).

I enjoy Sierra Nevadas pale ale a bit more than Boulys and tend to pick it up when I am feeling the pale.

Hell I even enjoy Fat Tire more.

Sorry I guess...
Don't be sorry. Defend your position. I'm just being an asshole anyways.

I overestimated how into beer you were, basically. I sometimes forget that I'm not on BeerAdvocate's forums when I get to talking about beer. It's clear from your post that you have some favorite beers that you enjoy and you don't get too in-depth with it. It doesn't sound like you have much experience with the Boulevard lineup beyond just a few offerings, though.

As for the beers you mentioned:
Bell's Two Hearted Ale is my absolute favorite six-pack beer. It is far superior to Boulevard's Single Wide IPA (which I also enjoy)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is better that Boulevard's Pale Ale. SNPA is a stone-cold classic.

You don't have many fellow members of the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat fan club ;)

Although I haven't had Boulevard's new Amber Ale yet, I would be a monkey's uncle if Fat Tire came anywhere close to its level of quality.

Bearcat
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
1.) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/62973/?ba=Reaper16

2.) I don't think that you'll find anything quite like it anywhere. It's pretty unique. I'd suggest trying any fresh hop/wet hop pale ales you find. The Founders should be all sold out everywhere, but you can find the Great Divide, Sierra Nevada, and Schlafly fresh hop ales pretty easily.

3.) I still haven't had Boulevard's Amber Ale. It has not reached Alabama distribution. I'll try it next month when I'm back in KC.

I definitely need to try Schlafly... not sure why I haven't yet. I tried the Sierra Nevada IPA last weekend in Omaha, and prefer Boulevard's. I didn't dislike Sierra Nevada, there was just nothing special about it, IMO... the Pale Ale was good though.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 11:04 AM
I definitely need to try Schlafly... not sure why I haven't yet. I tried the Sierra Nevada IPA last weekend in Omaha, and prefer Boulevard's. I didn't dislike Sierra Nevada, there was just nothing special about it, IMO... the Pale Ale was good though.
Which Sierra Nevada beer?

Lzen
11-23-2010, 11:11 AM
...Bell's Two Hearted Ale is my absolute favorite six-pack beer. It is far superior to Boulevard's Single Wide IPA (which I also enjoy)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is better that Boulevard's Pale Ale. SNPA is a stone-cold classic.

Although I haven't had Boulevard's new Amber Ale yet, I would be a monkey's uncle if Fat Tire came anywhere close to its level of quality.

I tried some Bell's Two Hearted Ale a couple months ago on yours as well as some others on CP recommendation (thanks, CP). It was pretty good. Not far superior to Boulevard IPA, though. I really love Boulevard's Double Wide IPA. Probably more-so than Bell's Two Hearted.

I think Sierra's and Boulevard's Pale Ales are comparable. Although I do agree that Sierra's is better. :thumb: That's one of my favorites.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is for girls. :p I have tried that one as well as cranberry lambic and a raspberry or grape style. None of these are beers that I would buy outright. They came in brewer's mix packs. Never been much into fruit in beers. Hell, throw in Dunkelweis while we're at it.

Bearcat
11-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Which Sierra Nevada beer?

I had a bottle of their IPA at one place and didn't really care for it... the Pale Ale (on tap) was good. I don't think I've seen it around here much, at least not in restaurants/bars, but I probably just wasn't paying attention.

Lzen
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM

When I was in St. Louis last year for the Blues Festival, there were a few street vendors that had schlafly pale ale. I hadn't heard of it but I figured it had to be better than the standard big name beers. I was pleasantly surprised. While I still prefer Sierra or Blvd, it was a pretty good pale ale.

Lzen
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I had a bottle of their IPA at one place and didn't really care for it... the Pale Ale (on tap) was good. I don't think I've seen it around here much, at least not in restaurants/bars, but I probably just wasn't paying attention.

Torpedo? Yeah, that one is pretty strong (hoppy).

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I was basically wondering if you were talking about Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA or Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Estate Wet Hop Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere (Harvest) Wet Hop Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop Ale (an IPA).

As you can see, Sierra Nevada makes a lot of IPAs and none of them are straight-up called "Sierra Nevada IPA."

luv
11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is for girls. :p I have tried that one as well as cranberry lambic and a raspberry or grape style. None of these are beers that I would buy outright. They came in brewer's mix packs. Never been much into fruit in beers. Hell, throw in Dunkelweis while we're at it.

Hey now. I can't stand the stuff. The only fruity beer I like is Purple Haze. Well, Sam Adams Blackberry Witbeer is also fairly good. Other than those two, I don't even add lemon or oranges to beers.

Thinking further, I also like Magic Hat #9, which is pretty citrusy (not a word, but you know what I mean).

Saulbadguy
11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Crispin, over ice.

;)

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Crispin, over ice.

;)
As in The Saint? Cider?
Good call on the ice for that one.

Bearcat
11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I was basically wondering if you were talking about Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA or Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Estate Wet Hop Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere (Harvest) Wet Hop Ale (an IPA) or Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Fresh Hop Ale (an IPA).

As you can see, Sierra Nevada makes a lot of IPAs and none of them are straight-up called "Sierra Nevada IPA."

Hmm... maybe I'll look on beeradvocate for the bottle, because I'm pretty sure the menu just said Sierra Nevada IPA.

Is this the Founders you mentioned earlier (or a similar one, at least)?
http://swaggerkc.com/wordpress/?page_id=21
Founders Reds Rye IPA India Pale Ale CO 6.8% 12oz

If they don't have the 21st Anniversary Pale Ale, I'll have to take a better look at that list...

NewChief
11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Hmm... maybe I'll look on beeradvocate for the bottle, because I'm pretty sure the menu just said Sierra Nevada IPA.

If they don't have the 21st Anniversary Pale Ale, I'll have to take a better look at that list...

This is their standard, most widely distributed Pale Ale:

http://www.beernation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Sierra-Nevada-Pale-Ale.png

DMAC
11-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Don't be sorry. Defend your position. I'm just being an asshole anyways.

I overestimated how into beer you were, basically. I sometimes forget that I'm not on BeerAdvocate's forums when I get to talking about beer. It's clear from your post that you have some favorite beers that you enjoy and you don't get too in-depth with it. It doesn't sound like you have much experience with the Boulevard lineup beyond just a few offerings, though.

As for the beers you mentioned:
Bell's Two Hearted Ale is my absolute favorite six-pack beer. It is far superior to Boulevard's Single Wide IPA (which I also enjoy)

I really prefer the beer I brew though.

Although I just buy the presealed packages at Home Brewery, its still delicious. I have a winter spice ale in the kegerator right now. MMMMMM

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-23-2010, 12:35 PM
This is their standard, most widely distributed Pale Ale:

http://www.beernation.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Sierra-Nevada-Pale-Ale.png

Man I love that shit.:)

DMAC
11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm seriously thinking of faking a sickness so I can go home and drink.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM

No, I was specifically talking about fresh hop pale ales, since you asked for beers similar to BLVD 21st Anniversary. Founders Harvest Ale is their fresh hop pale ale.

The beer you mentioned, Founders Red's Rye, is delicious though. Absolutely delicious. But be prepared: it's dank. The combination of the hops used and all that rye malt make for a beer that smells an awful lot like a hydroponic weed growing room.

Lzen
11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm seriously thinking of faking a sickness so I can go home and drink.

ROFL

All this talk of good beers got you jonesing?

Lzen
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM
No, I was specifically talking about fresh hop pale ales, since you asked for beers similar to BLVD 21st Anniversary. Founders Harvest Ale is their fresh hop pale ale.

The beer you mentioned, Founders Red's Rye, is delicious though. Absolutely delicious. But be prepared: it's dank. The combination of the hops used and all that rye malt make for a beer that smells an awful lot like a hydroponic weed growing room.

Is that why Bells Two Hearted Ale smells funky?

Lzen
11-23-2010, 02:12 PM
I really prefer the beer I brew though.

Although I just buy the presealed packages at Home Brewery, its still delicious. I have a winter spice ale in the kegerator right now. MMMMMM

I keep thinking I wanna try doing this. But I haven't made the jump as of yet.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I keep thinking I wanna try doing this. But I haven't made the jump as of yet.

It's very easy. I love watching my beer ferment in the carboy. It makes me smile every morning as I walk past it going to the garage.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Is that why Bells Two Hearted Ale smells funky?
It shouldn't smell funky at all. Though when I say "funky" I mean a barnyard type funk that is indicative of brettanomyces or lactobacillius or pediococcus in the beer (intentionally or by means of an infection).

Heavily hopped beers can take on a marijuana like aroma profile. The hop, after all, is from the same family of plants as cannabis: Cannabinacea. Two Hearted is very hoppy, obviously, but also specifically very floral. I personally don't get weed aromas from Two Hearted but I can see how people might.

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 02:17 PM
It's very easy. I love watching my beer ferment in the carboy. It makes me smile every morning as I walk past it going to the garage.
You should go all-malt. It's easier than you think, and totally worth it.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
It shouldn't smell funky at all. Though when I say "funky" I mean a barnyard type funk that is indicative of brettanomyces or lactobacillius or pediococcus in the beer (intentionally or by means of an infection).

Heavily hopped beers can take on a marijuana like aroma profile. The hop, after all, is from the same family of plants as cannabis: Cannabinacea. Two Hearted is very hoppy, obviously, but also specifically very floral. I personally don't get weed aromas from Two Hearted but I can see how people might.

I thought it smelled quite pleasant.

How does one achieve the floral flavors that are found in the Two Hearted?

DMAC
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
You should go all-malt. It's easier than you think, and totally worth it.

?

Reaper16
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
I thought it smelled quite pleasant.

How does one achieve the floral flavors that are found in the Two Hearted?
It's all about the types of hops, amount of them, and when in the boil you add them. In the case of Two Hearted, it's easy: Bell's uses 100% Centennial hops.

?
You mentioned something about using packages bought at a homebrew store. I assume then that you use malt extract instead of mashing your own grain. My post then was meant to encourage you to move towards working with your own malt instead of using extract.

DMAC
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
It's all about the types of hops, amount of them, and when in the boil you add them. In the case of Two Hearted, it's easy: Bell's uses 100% Centennial hops.AH, ok.

You mentioned something about using packages bought at a homebrew store. I assume then that you use malt extract instead of mashing your own grain. My post then was meant to encourage you to move towards working with your own malt instead of using extract.

Gotcha. This is my third brew. I am working my way to my own malt. Wanted to just kinda "get the hang of things" before going there.