PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Spinoff: What was the last Chiefs game you missed?

Douche Baggins
11-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Since DaFace is pondering committing a cardinal sin of Chiefs fandom this weekend, I thought I'd see who else has sinned recently, or when your last transgression was.

I literally live in fear of missing a Chiefs game and I'll tell you why: In 2002, I overslept and missed the Chief beating the Jets in New York. You remember the game: Priest jumped into the end zone with about 30 seconds left and the Chiefs won 24-20 or something. It was supposedly really exciting.

Not that I would know. Because I didn't experience it. BECAUSE I SINNED!

Since that day, I have not missed a Chiefs game.

Well, I guess I missed the 2008 home opener (Raiders @ Chiefs), but that was because of a fucking HURRICANE, so I had a good excuse. And I listened to it on the radio, so I think we can let that slide.

Anyway, these days the last thing I do before nodding off is set the DVR. :mad:

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 10:27 PM
You overslept a whole game? You overslept until 3 pm central time? Really?

DaFace
11-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Well, hell, I missed the second half last weekend. (I was flying back from my high school reunion.) I couldn't tell you when the last time I missed a Raiders game was though.

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Modern times are good because you can get the Chiefs almost anywhere. From 1986 to about 1995 I missed lots of Chiefs games because I lived in areas that didn't show them regularly. It was sheer hell.

Since then I've hardly ever missed a game. I've planned trips around games to ensure that I'm in a hotel by the time it starts. I've moved around schedules and all sorts of things.

That said, there have been a couple of times it was unavoidable. The Bengals game where Trent got hurt by the cheap-shot Geathers guy was one where I only saw the first quarter because I was in an airport, and there was another game that same season that I missed completely because I was on an airplane. In roughly 2002 I had to miss a game simply due to a desperate work deadline, and that really hurt, and once in the late 90s some stupid friend held their wedding directly opposite a Chiefs-Raiders game. I don't talk to them any more.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Being from Seattle, every time I've been to Arrowhead this year I've told someone that I can count on 1 hand how many Chiefs games I've missed in the last 18 years.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the last one was a season finale against Atlanta that had zero implications as we won like 4 games that year.

Guru
KC vs. Houston a few years back. Season opener I think. I had to leave Joe's early to be in Hutch that afternoon. WE did listen to the game on the radio though.

cdcox
I missed the '49er game this year, and forgot to record it.

I was supposed to be on a flight back from London during the playoff game in '03. I got confused on my flight time and ended up missing the flight, and saw the game live after I squatted in the hotel bar to gain control of the remote from the soccer hooligans. I always wondered if my subconscious undermined my rational plan to be on that flight.

Bane
I haven't missed one (tv) since 95.

pr_capone
I have to work. :( I DVR it but I've been told the ending twice... including last week.

stevieray
11-05-2010, 10:36 PM
two weeks ago. couldn't find a ticket. sat in the lot and listed to M&L.

sedated
11-05-2010, 10:38 PM
This is a blurry subject. My first job out of college (2003) was at a breakfast restaurant, so I had to work sunday mornings. But we had a TV in the breakroom, and I got off work at 1pm, so I saw most of everything.

The week they told me that I had to work late and I couldn't spend the whole time in the breakroom, I quit. That was around week 4.

Douche Baggins
11-05-2010, 10:38 PM
saw the game live after I squatted in the hotel bar to gain control of the remote from the soccer hooligans.

Wow, that's intense.

That's like a scene out of a movie. Like when Frodo has the ring, and he's hiding under the log, and the black rider passes by.

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Being from Seattle, every time I've been to Arrowhead this year I've told someone that I can count on 1 hand how many Chiefs games I've missed in the last 18 years.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the last one was a season finale against Atlanta that had zero implications as we won like 4 games that year.

That was a good one to miss. One of the worst Chiefs games ever.

Douche Baggins
11-05-2010, 10:40 PM

I think the Chiefs missed that game.

When I was 14, I resorted to watching the 1995 Chiefs playoff game on a 10 inch black and white TV. With terrible reception.

This was during my grandmother's 75th anniversary party.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-05-2010, 10:40 PM

I remember seeing the highlights and thinking to myself, "Thank you Jesus."

Mr. Flopnuts
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Am I the only one that keeps a Chiefs game on my DVR at ALL times throughout the year? Currently I have the JAX and Buffalo games on there.

BigRedChief
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Probably sometime around 1992.

BCD
11-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I've lived out of the KC area since early '97. I've missed several games.

Bugeater
11-05-2010, 10:46 PM
What do you mean by "missed"? I've had to listen to quite a few on the radio the last few years because they weren't being televised here. But as far as not seeing or hearing any of the game, that would have to be the Monday Night Meltdown game. My father in law had just passed, and there was a wake that night so I missed the entire game.

Nzoner
11-05-2010, 11:03 PM
All I know is that it was in the 80's,I have no focking idea when

Psyko Tek
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
missed the one in 2005? against pitt was diving one of my boys to the airport to see his mom
that one in pittsburgh
sex tconvention the night before thing, remember?

I saw the score and was shocked
we should have killed them

Shogun
11-05-2010, 11:18 PM
I accidentally missed the Indy and Houston games that we lost. I am now never allowed to miss a game ever again.

KChiefs1
11-05-2010, 11:20 PM

mikey23545
11-05-2010, 11:31 PM
... and once in the late 90s some stupid friend held their wedding directly opposite a Chiefs-Raiders game. I don't talk to them any more.

You should have quit talking to them <i>before</i> the game and you would have saved on tux rental <i>and</i> seen the game.

mikey23545
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
What do you mean by "missed"? I've had to listen to quite a few on the radio the last few years because they weren't being televised here. But as far as not seeing or hearing any of the game, that would have to be the Monday Night Meltdown game. My father in law had just passed, and there was a wake that night so I missed the entire game.

You didn't miss much...

Bump
11-05-2010, 11:34 PM
You overslept a whole game? You overslept until 3 pm central time? Really?

I over-sleep a lot of games. Partying until 6 in the AM a lot of the times on Saturday night.

chiefs1111
11-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Last one i missed was when Houston played at KC. Hurricane hit my area i was without any power for a week.

chasedude
11-05-2010, 11:53 PM
This years Indy game. I was stuck in Donkland sitting with family in Conifer resorted to watching the locally broadcasted crap.

All I had was my phone to keep up with the Chiefs game.

Guru
11-05-2010, 11:53 PM
What do you mean by "missed"? I've had to listen to quite a few on the radio the last few years because they weren't being televised here. But as far as not seeing or hearing any of the game, that would have to be the Monday Night Meltdown game. My father in law had just passed, and there was a wake that night so I missed the entire game.I wish I had missed that game. I was there for that travesty.

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 11:55 PM
I almost missed the Bills game last week. I was up so late on Saturday that I turned my alarm off in my sleep. I woke up when my friend (a Colts fan, no less) called me to see how the game was going. Severely hungover, I fell out of bed and crawled desperately to my computer to start up the stream. Only problem was CP was overloaded and I couldn't log on. I am amazed my laptop survived this development.

Panicking, I call my friend back, who lives in the same complex as me, and demand that he come over with his father in laws DirectTV mobile password in hand. Thankfully he obliges and I get the game going at about the 6 minute mark of the fourth quarter.

In hindsight that was probably the best possible way my morning could have gone.

P.S. There is no better hangover remedy than a game-winning field goal in OT. None.

prhom
11-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Am I the only one that keeps a Chiefs game on my DVR at ALL times throughout the year? Currently I have the JAX and Buffalo games on there.

I was saving the Broncos-Chiefs game (in Denver) to re-watch at a later date. My brother and I had been there and had a great time, but wanted to watch see the game from the TV camara perspective. I was pissed when I went to watch it, only to find that my wife had stopped the recording at about midway thru the 2nd because "Bridezillas" was on at the same time. I couldn't relive the second half of victory like I'd planned and was very sad.

Buck
11-06-2010, 03:48 AM
2004, I worked every Sunday during the season except a couple, so I listened to them all on Radio. Before that, there were some blackouts in 2003.

Baby Lee
11-06-2010, 05:07 AM
Somewhere around 1989 - Not all seen live, but all seen.

tonyetony
11-06-2010, 05:12 AM
The January 2004 Colts Vs Chiefs playoff game also known as the no punt game because I was marlin fishing in Cabo. I had my Dad record it for me on VHS but I never bothered watching it.

Rukdafaidas
11-06-2010, 05:16 AM
The Colts game, October 31st 2004. It was during the visitation for my brother.
I asked all of my friends that came in what the score was. My brother would have understood, he was a huge Chiefs fan.

Micjones
11-06-2010, 05:18 AM
I can't remember the last full game I missed by television AND radio.
It's been a long time.

I overslept last season and didn't tune in to a game until the 3rd Quarter though.
That's always my biggest fear.

I'm weird about Chiefs games. I try to stay up really late so I can wake up just moments before kickoff. Not always the best strategy.

michaelj_58
11-06-2010, 05:33 AM
last year during deer season

Warrior5
11-06-2010, 06:02 AM
I missed a bunch of Chiefs games in '02 and '03.

Some would say it's Bush's fault, but I blame Saddam.

Hog Farmer
11-06-2010, 07:02 AM
I haven't missed a Chiefs game in at least 15 years. I've let piglets go without heat. I've let market hogs go without feed ,I've left employees hung in an auger, I've let my prize Boar get Blue balls all in the honor of Chiefs fandom. If my wife was choking on a slab of steak she's just shit out of luck until halftime or the game ends.

Wyndex
11-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Back when I was 19 I had a job at a Halloween store, Spirit to be specific...on 91st and Metcalf. I needed the extra money to pay off school fees. I was working weekends only :(. Well on a Sunday I took my mp3 player in because I could listen to the radio as well. I was listening and was told to take it off by the manager so I did, then I realized a great way to listen to the game while there...I would volunteer to dress up and stand on Metcalf holding the 'SPIRIT HALLOWEEN STORE --->' sign. So I did. However I am a pretty large guy, 6'4 and at the time I was probably 250...so I found out the only Halloween costume that fit me was the banana costume.

Much to my dismay I had already volunteered and I figured the hell with it, i'll be listening to the game. I lasted 5 minutes on Metcalf before the embarrassment was too much. I started walking back to the store and while walking past Borders I saw they had a tv in there, a tv with the game on...so for the next 2 hours I was dressed as a huge banana sitting inside Borders watching the Chiefs game.

Moral of the story?

DON'T MISS A ****ING CHIEFS GAME

Bugeater
11-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I wish I had missed that game. I was there for that travesty.
To this day, I am still not sure what exactly happened in that game. All I know is that it wasn't good.

Marcellus
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM

Nope I have all of this years wins still on DVR.

I can't remember the last Chief's game I missed. 2001 maybe?

KC Jones
11-06-2010, 08:26 AM
The last couple of years I've missed several games. Simply not worth wasting 3.5 hours of my weekend and not being with my family to go to a sports bar and watch a 2-14 team. Each year started out the same, watching every game but by mid-season in a terrible year I don't go out of my way to watch it. Instead we might spend a weekend camping and hiking or skiing.

Jack
11-06-2010, 08:28 AM
I can't remember that far back but I think it was in the late '50s; 1959, maybe 1958.

runnercyclist
11-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Bugeater
11-06-2010, 08:30 AM
The last couple of years I've missed several games. Simply not worth wasting 3.5 hours of my weekend and not being with my family to go to a sports bar and watch a 2-14 team. Each year started out the same, watching every game but by mid-season in a terrible year I don't go out of my way to watch it. Instead we might spend a weekend camping and hiking or skiing.
KCtotheSB should be along shortly to tell you how lame of a fan you are...

Direckshun
11-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I miss them almost every week because my Sunday afternoons are very, very busy.

I DVR them religiously, however.

I have a friend text me score updates throughout the game to keep me informed. I then come home eventually and log onto ChiefsPlanet to see the meltdown in action (my favorite thing about Sundays is the weekly CP meltdown), and then watch the game.

DaFace
11-06-2010, 08:34 AM

At the beginning of this season, I told my wife that I might be willing to miss a game to go skiing. (We bought season passes this year.) However, with the Chiefs in the playoff race, I'm not sure I could handle that.

R Clark
11-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Going to Rdchester Mn sunday.Is the game going to be on national tv?

Rausch
11-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Last game I missed completely was the SD game in 93 when Joe marched us down the field for the win.

I missed the 4th last game last year (can't remember who we played) because I slept through damned near the whole thing and once I'd heard we'd lost i didn't bother playing back the game.

Bugeater
11-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Going to Rdchester Mn sunday.Is the game going to be on national tv?
It's not national, but Rochester is getting the game. You're lucky because that's about the only place in Minnesota that gets it.

R Clark
11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
bugearter thanks alot!

WebGem
11-06-2010, 08:47 AM
The last game I missed was October 17, 1996 vs the Seahawks. I had just turned 11 less than a month prior.

Huffman83
11-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I missed most of the 2nd half last week due to having to go to a wedding. I'm sitting there watching the game and then I get..."let's go." from the wife.

I drop my pants and she says "No not for that."

I forgot about her friend/roller derby teammate had her wedding at 2 pm last week (obviously they're not football fans.) So I'm sitting there at the wedding getting updates via text from my brother cursing Matt Cassel. Fortunately my wife saw the anguish on my face after the ceremony and told me I could go back to the car and listen to the game while everyone else waited for the food after wards.

I also end up having to miss some games due to my job. Sometimes at the 911 center we have the games on but you obviously can't pay attention to it at all times due to someone always wanting a medic when they get a scratch on their toe.

DVR is my savior!

Phobia
11-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I would have missed a few games in 1990 - there was a war going on at that time and I was in the starting lineup.

|Zach|
11-06-2010, 09:29 AM
I hadn't missed a game in 16 years until a few weeks ago. I hit it way to hard the night\morning after the Missouri\Oklahoma game.

I knew I had woken up a little late for our JAX game this year...I thought maybe it was 12:30 or maybe I missed the 1st qtr.

I woke up at 3:15. I couldn't believe my eyes.

crazycoffey
11-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I missed almost every game last year, makes this year taste pretty sweet right now....

KCrockaholic
11-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I missed the Dolphins-Chiefs game like 3-4 years ago....

I will do anything/everything I can to match sure I don't miss a single game ever again. I pass on sweet vacations just because I don't want to miss a game. The Chiefs are one of my top priorities. I love them.

teedubya
11-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I missed a few over the last 3 years where I knew were gonna get piss pounded, so I opted for something less infuriating.

Pablo
11-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Probably the 05-06 season when I was in college; working at The Home Depot. I brought a portable radio and volunteered to man the Garden Center all by myself. It was fucking cold in that cashier shack out there, but hardly anyone came through.

gblowfish
11-06-2010, 02:36 PM
The last home game was Herm's last year vs. Miami when it was 2 degrees outside and KC had two wins. Mrs Blowfish had a bad cold, didn't see any reason to go.

Last game I missed was vs Buffalo 2 years ago (the game Buffalo scored over 50 pts at Arrowhead). I was in a wedding in St. Louis while the game was going on.

I've missed maybe five or six home games since 1967.

DaneMcCloud
11-06-2010, 02:41 PM
The last game that I missed (meaning TV or in person) was in 1988. I was so disgusted with the team that year that I just had to tune them out for a weekend.

On the other hand, I've watched Chiefs broadcasts in Toronto, Montreal, Quebec, San Francisco, Colorado, Cancun, Cabo and Vancouver.

kcfanXIII
11-06-2010, 02:55 PM
missed the disaster against the eagles last year. was riding home from a rally in arkansas.

TEX
11-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I missed every game, except the opening one, Herm's last season.

Douche Baggins
11-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Probably the 05-06 season when I was in college; working at The Home Depot. I brought a portable radio and volunteered to man the Garden Center all by myself. It was fucking cold in that cashier shack out there, but hardly anyone came through.

That's dedication. Rep.

BCD
11-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I missed every game, except the opening one, Herm's last season.So in retrospect, you didnt really 'miss' anything.

Smed1065
11-06-2010, 11:45 PM
1997 when I was in Korea.