PDA

View Full Version : Science Do you get the Flu shot?

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2010, 10:37 AM
I've never had a flu shot. Last year I got the flu and it was miserable.

My work is offering the flu shot tomorrow or next week for free.

Do you get the flu shot? Why or why not?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I have the last 2 years, will again this year especially with the new kid.

Pestilence
11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I used to when I was in the Air Force.....because it was mandatory.
Up until this year I didn't....because I didn't care.
This year I had to because of the twins.

seclark
11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
i've never had one. i might get a cold once every winter. lasts for a few days. haven't had the flu for a long time.

the wife got one last year for the first time, and felt like shit for a couple weeks. she's not getting one this year.

i take my great uncle in for one every year, though. he's like 84 years old though.

sec

kepp
11-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Yes, my whole family gets it.

Fish
11-09-2010, 10:45 AM
No way. IMO, only people with an otherwise weak immune system should even bother.

I've never needed BigPharm's cocktail of mysteries, I trust my own body to defend itself naturally.

Donger
11-09-2010, 10:46 AM
If you nasty f*ckers would just show some basic hygiene and wash your hands more often, this shot wouldn't even exist.

|Zach|
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't. I rarely get sick.

Demonpenz
11-09-2010, 10:49 AM
it should be mandatory

FAX
11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
I never get the flu shot on account of the fact that they add chemicals to those that allow television commercials to hypnotize you.

FAX

Rain Man
11-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I may be completely stupid about this, but I never take any medicine unless I have no other choice. I don't even take stuff for headaches.

My theory (which is based on no research or knowledge at all) is that the human body is flexible and adjusts. If I get sick, my body works to overcome it and "learns" in the process. If I take medicine, my body doesn't work to overcome it, and in fact becomes more vulnerable the next time because it "learned" that it will get fixed without doing anything.

Obviously that doesn't work for stuff like broken legs or infections or gangrene, and occasionally I'll take something if I've got a brutal headache, but I do it as little as possible.

Y'all can make fun of me now if you want, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it unless I get educated about it.

Donger
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Big Daddy in three, two, ....

NewChief
11-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I never do, and I never will.

My wife got one of our kids the flu shot (we didn't get it for our older kid). The one who got the shot has been sick 3 times since getting the shot. The other one hasn't been sick yet. I know it's only anecdotal... but I hear the same thing from tons of other people.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I never do, and I never will.

My wife got one of our kids the flu shot (we didn't get it for our older kid). The one who got the shot has been sick 3 times since getting the shot. The other one hasn't been sick yet. I know it's only anecdotal... but I hear the same thing from tons of other people.

he isn't getting the flu. Obviously the flu shot offers no protection against colds and stomach virii.

Brock
11-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Waste of time.

Fish
11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
I may be completely stupid about this, but I never take any medicine unless I have no other choice. I don't even take stuff for headaches.

My theory (which is based on no research or knowledge at all) is that the human body is flexible and adjusts. If I get sick, my body works to overcome it and "learns" in the process. If I take medicine, my body doesn't work to overcome it, and in fact becomes more vulnerable the next time because it "learned" that it will get fixed without doing anything.

Obviously that doesn't work for stuff like broken legs or infections or gangrene, and occasionally I'll take something if I've got a brutal headache, but I do it as little as possible.

Y'all can make fun of me now if you want, but that's my theory and I'm sticking to it unless I get educated about it.

I agree completely. I've always felt that your body's immune system needs a workout just as other body parts. If we start supplanting that, our bodies will rely on it.

A wise old science teacher once told me, we're medicating ourselves into a corner by trying to foolishly replace the body's normal facilities with man made ones. We sometimes think we're smarter than mother nature...

NewChief
11-09-2010, 11:01 AM
he isn't getting the flu. Obviously the flu shot offers no protection against colds and stomach virii.

I'm not saying he's getting the flu (though he did actually come down with Type B about 4 days after getting the vaccine. The doctor said the vaccination must have been "too late."). I'm just saying that he's been sick as hell since getting the shot.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not saying he's getting the flu (though he did actually come down with Type B about 4 days after getting the vaccine. The doctor said the vaccination must have been "too late."). I'm just saying that he's been sick as hell since getting the shot.

:facepalm:

Chiefnj2
11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
This years flu shot combines the "regular" flu shot with last years H1N1. Before giving it to your kids I would suggest reading it's safety testing.

CaliforniaChief
11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I got it for the first time since I can remember because my employer offered them for free in the conference room.

I haven't felt well since. Coincidence? Probably. Am I going to get a shot next year. Not a chance.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
good lord people, I certainly wouldn't trade a week of the flu (the REAL influenza) for a couple of days of feeling a little under the weather.

NewChief
11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I got it for the first time since I can remember because my employer offered them for free in the conference room.

I haven't felt well since. Coincidence? Probably. Am I going to get a shot next year. Not a chance.

All the health care professionals will tell you it's coincidence, and it probably is.... or psychosomatic. Regardless, there are tons and tons of stories along these lines.

kepp
11-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I never get the flu shot on account of the fact that they add chemicals to those that allow television commercials to hypnotize you.

FAX

I did make a 30 second breakfast the other day with a Magic Bullet that I have no recollection of ordering.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:15 AM
All the health care professionals will tell you it's coincidence, and it probably is.... or psychosomatic. Regardless, there are tons and tons of stories along these lines.

it doesn't help that most people who get upset stomach, fever, and body ache think it's influenza, when it usually isn't.

DaKCMan AP
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
good lord people, I certainly wouldn't trade a week of the flu (the REAL influenza) for a couple of days of feeling a little under the weather.

That's my concern. I got H1N1 last year and after 2 weeks of hell didn't feel back to normal for 2-3 months.

CaliforniaChief
11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I know that from everything I've read, it's physically impossible to "catch the flu" from getting the flu shot. I believe that.

But I got the shot over 5 weeks ago and have not felt myself for 5 weeks. Dizziness and nausea are the two main symptoms.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, I used to skip it, got the flu every once in a while but it was no big deal. Couple years or so ago I got a monster unbelievably bad flu during my thanksgiving vacation that basically kept me from doing anything for a couple days. In that particular year the flu shot was apparently effective so I cheated myself out of a couple days of vacation due to laziness. Never again, the shot is free at work so I take it.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree completely. I've always felt that your body's immune system needs a workout just as other body parts. If we start supplanting that, our bodies will rely on it.

A wise old science teacher once told me, we're medicating ourselves into a corner by trying to foolishly replace the body's normal facilities with man made ones. We sometimes think we're smarter than mother nature...

It is not like medicating yourself, though. Your immune system does not get an added benefit from going through it the hard way at all. You aquire the same antibodies both ways, its just one way causes you to be sicker for a longer period of time... for no good reason.

eazyb81
11-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I always say I'm going to get a flu shot next year after I get sick, but once I get better I forget about it.

kepp
11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
It is not like medicating yourself, though. Your immune system does not get an added benefit from going through it the hard way at all. You aquire the same antibodies both ways, its just one way causes you to be sicker for a longer period of time... for no good reason.

Exactly. Most people who are preaching against it don't understand how vaccines work.

chasedude
11-09-2010, 11:30 AM
If you nasty f*ckers would just show some basic hygiene and wash your hands more often, this shot wouldn't even exist.

I always do wash my hands, but my legs dont get washed that much :p

chasedude
11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
And Yes, I got the shot this year.

I didn't last year and got really sick over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I missed my grandmother's dinner and I NEVER miss it.

I should have known better, working around kids you catch everything.

Hydrae
11-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I did when my job offered it for free. No longer at that company and I am not paying for one.

Rooster
11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Exactly. Most people who are preaching against it don't understand how vaccines work.

But what about the microchips that the gov. is putting into the shots so they can watch us.

teedubya
11-09-2010, 11:42 AM
The flu shot is pure evil, IMO. I, for one, don't trust the medical, military, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, banking cartel enough to want to put whatever it is they are pushing into my body.

Fish
11-09-2010, 11:43 AM

You're assuming that if I don't get the shot, I'll get influenza. That's not the case. I've never had the flu. And I've never gotten the shot.

Donger
11-09-2010, 11:44 AM
The flu shot is pure evil, IMO. I, for one, don't trust the medical, military, pharmaceutical, petrochemical, banking cartel enough to want to put whatever it is they are pushing into my body.

LMAO

kepp
11-09-2010, 11:45 AM
But what about the microchips that the gov. is putting into the shots so they can watch us.

You guys are on your own with that. I don't mind being tracked I guess.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:45 AM

I actually have more respect for this black helicopter argument than the "your immune system would be stronger if you get sick the natural way" argument.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I've never had the flu

ROFL

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 11:48 AM
You're assuming that if I don't get the shot, I'll get influenza. That's not the case. I've never had the flu. And I've never gotten the shot.

do you have any casualty insurance? Would you have it even if you hoped to never need it?

Fish
11-09-2010, 11:52 AM
ROFL

My immune system is strong enough that my body handles it without any man made cocktail. I endure no symptoms, and haven't for as long as I can remember.

It's that simple.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
My immune system is strong enough that my body handles it without any man made cocktail. I endure no symptoms, and haven't for as long as I can remember.

It's that simple.

Dude, you kicked ass in that movie Unbreakable!

Didn't the eggheads that made the flu shot (or maybe the H1N1 shot; possibly both) come out and say that there was no way that any of them were going to take the shot? Yeah, pass. I've found that chicken soup and sleep makes me feel as good as any shot full of shit that I can't even spell, much less pronounce.

chasedude
11-09-2010, 12:01 PM

It's that simple.

Is this you? :p

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2008/10/unbreakable.jpg

Fish
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
OK.... I'm evidently failing at message boards this week....

You guys can kiss my healthy ass. I'm off to have sex with that Hep-riddled hooker....

Rain Man
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM
OK.... I'm evidently failing at message boards this week....

You guys can kiss my healthy ass. I'm off to have sex with that Hep-riddled hooker....

Hey, I'm on your side.

And the more sex you have with hep-riddled hookers, the better your body adjusts to sex with hep-riddled hookers, so you're doing the right thing.

FAX
11-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Dude, you kicked ass in that movie Unbreakable!

Didn't the eggheads that made the flu shot (or maybe the H1N1 shot; possibly both) come out and say that there was no way that any of them were going to take the shot? Yeah, pass. I've found that chicken soup and sleep makes me feel as good as any shot full of shit that I can't even spell, much less pronounce.

I spoke with a nurse the other day in the ER who said she would never, ever take a flu shot. I guess I should have dug a little deeper and inquired as to her reasoning. She was pretty adamant, though.

FAX

Rain Man
11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I spoke with a nurse the other day in the ER who said she would never, ever take a flu shot. I guess I should have dug a little deeper and inquired as to her reasoning. She was pretty adamant, though.

FAX

I bet she's afraid of needles.

teedubya
11-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey, I'm on your side.

And the more sex you have with hep-riddled hookers, the better your body adjusts to sex with hep-riddled hookers, so you're doing the right thing.

This is comforting to know. Thanks!

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I bet she's afraid of needles.

And she also more than likely smokes.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Not just no, HELL NO!!!!! Good to see people are smartening up.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 01:42 PM
glad someone can point out one factual case of the vaccine causing more than minor discomfort. just ONE.

keep up the hysteria.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
glad someone can point out one factual case of the vaccine causing more than minor discomfort. just ONE.

keep up the hysteria.

There were many posters who had bad side effects from the vaccine last year who posted them on here. Hey, don't let anyone tell you shit though bro, get a double dose. You can have mine.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 01:52 PM

It's that simple.

I have had the flu twice in my entire life and hopefully never again. Let people shoot themself up with toxic metals and all the other shit they put in those vaccines though. They deserve what they get. It's the kids with stupid fucking parents I feel sorry for.

Pestilence
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I know that from everything I've read, it's physically impossible to "catch the flu" from getting the flu shot. I believe that.

But I got the shot over 5 weeks ago and have not felt myself for 5 weeks. Dizziness and nausea are the two main symptoms.

There are two kinds of flu shots. One has the live virus and one has the inactive virus. A majority of Americans get the inactive virus....which means that they physically CANNOT get sick from the flu shot. You'll know if you get the live virus because it's only available in the nose spray form.

Bane
11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Never had one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefnj2
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM

keep up the hysteria.

How about the product insert?

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I gotta say this poll is encouraging. Looks like we only have a 27% dumbfuck factor around here on this subject. AWESOME!!!!

Pestilence
11-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I gotta say this poll is encouraging. Looks like we only have a 27% dumbfuck factor around here on this subject. AWESOME!!!!

Because you're an expert on this subject?

BWillie
11-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I've never got a flu shot, and I've never got the flu since I was a little kid. I don't know how people get so sickly. The only day I have ever had to miss a day of work is when I got strep throat...which I guess is a bacteria and not a virus. And it was only a day. I started working when I was 14, so I've missed one day of work in 12 years of working.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Because you're an expert on this subject?

I have posted endlessly on this subject. I don't even know how it's possible to have missed it. I'm not going there again. Idiot factor down to 22%, NICE!!!!

vailpass
11-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Those stupid immunizations have ruined everything. I liked polio.

seclark
11-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I've never got a flu shot, and I've never got the flu since I was a little kid. I don't know how people get so sickly. The only day I have ever had to miss a day of work is when I got strep throat...which I guess is a bacteria and not a virus. And it was only a day. I started working when I was 14, so I've missed one day of work in 12 years of working.

i know a guy that brags about never missing a day of school, or work due to sickness. f@cker comes in to work all snotted up and shit. then for the next week, every one in the office is sick and taking off work.
sec

Pestilence
11-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I have posted endlessly on this subject. I don't even know how it's possible to have missed it. I'm not going there again. Idiot factor down to 22%, NICE!!!!

I've posted endlessly on fantasy football.....doesn't mean I'm a fucking expert.

BWillie
11-09-2010, 02:56 PM
i know a guy that brags about never missing a day of school, or work due to sickness. f@cker comes in to work all snotted up and shit. then for the next week, every one in the office is sick and taking off work.
sec

Snotted up? That is called a cold. You don't work in a cold?

LTL
11-09-2010, 02:59 PM

FAX

Hospital I work at quite a few of the RNs have declined to get the shot. Most said they didn't trust it, none of them really ever went into detail much after that. One of my colleagues said that even though the chance is very very small, she didn't want to take the slim chance of getting guillain barre syndrome.

This year we either get the shot, or starting Jan 1, we wear a mask everywhere in the hospital.

I didn't take the shot, not afraid of the side effects or anything like that, just didn't feel the need to since I haven't had anything more than a cold for the past 10 years.

seclark
11-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Snotted up? That is called a cold. You don't work in a cold?

if i've got a little cough, or a runny nose, maybe. if i'm hacking and sneezing and blowing my nose every couple minutes, i'm not going to work around other people and subject them to it.
sec

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I've posted endlessly on fantasy football.....doesn't mean I'm a ****ing expert.

I have posted endlessly from independent experts but the only supposed experts the dumbfucks in here want to listen to is the FDA and CDC. Trusting your health to the FDA is like trusting the money supply to a small group of bankers. You get what you deserve. Fortunately in this country you still have a choice when it comes to your health. At least for a little bit longer.

irishjayhawk
11-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I have posted endlessly from independent experts but the only supposed experts the dumbfucks in here want to listen to is the FDA and CDC. Trusting your health to the FDA is like trusting the money supply to a small group of bankers. You get what you deserve. Fortunately in this country you still have a choice when it comes to your health. At least for a little bit longer.

I wanted to preempt BD but I was at work. Ugh.

Essentially, he is an idiot on anything vaccines. As vailpass pointed out, sans vaccines we'd still have some awful diseases like polio.

Now, as far as the flu shot, elective vaccines are elective. Nothing more. There are a lot of people who don't want or don't need it. But they aren't "ineffective".

Also, to the point that there are lots of anecdotes on failing vaccines I think the explanation is quite simple: people who don't get vaccines and get sick, chalk it up to not getting a vaccine. But people who do get the vaccine and get even remotely sick are going to suspect the vaccine being ineffective. Just like negative product reviews outnumber positive ones all the time. And they're usually louder.

tl,dr Bigdaddy is hilariously ignorant of vaccines, vaccines are effective, safe and VERY helpful, anecdotal evidence is skewed

kstater
11-09-2010, 06:09 PM
No because I don't get sick.

kstater
11-09-2010, 06:15 PM
It's the kids with stupid fucking parents I feel sorry for.

I agree with this.

Iowanian
11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
I got it a month ago.

My kids aren't going to get sick because I'm a selfish asshole.

on a side note for BD.
I went to a witchdoctor for a consultation last year. He could heal cancer with herbs and piles of colostrum pills and these magic red light pads he was selling for $1500....He had people lined up, listening to the failings of modern medicine and vaccines. I wondered why he hadn't been back around in a while and I found out this week that....well, he died of something or other that doesn't usually kill people in modern countries.

Donger
11-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Not just no, HELL NO!!!!! Good to see people are smartening up.

YES! A vaccine thread to BIG DADDY is like an oil company thread to me.

irishjayhawk
11-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree with this.

I know, right.

kstater
11-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I got it a month ago.

on a side note for BD.
I went to a witchdoctor for a consultation last year. He could heal cancer with herbs and piles of colostrum pills and these magic red light pads he was selling for $1500....He had people lined up, listening to the failings of modern medicine and vaccines. I wondered why he hadn't been back around in a while and I found out this week that....well, he died of something or other that doesn't usually kill people in modern countries.

Yeah, but that vaccine had a 1/1000000000000 chance of killing you.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Not a chance.

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I've always felt that your body's immune system needs a workout just as other body parts. If we start supplanting that, our bodies will rely on it.

Oh, well since you've always felt that way it must be true. And this opinion is based on your extensive training in what relevant field?

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Didn't the eggheads that made the flu shot (or maybe the H1N1 shot; possibly both) come out and say that there was no way that any of them were going to take the shot?

Um, no. You know, asking it as a question while at the same time implying it happened does not mean it is true.

KCHawg
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Yep, I'm in the Air Force. Every year for the last 24..............

Bowser
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Um, no. You know, asking it as a question while at the same time implying it happened does not mean it is true.

Whatever. I thought I had read that the people who had made one of the shots, if not both, had refused to get them for themselves. I think you knew what I was implying, and are just trying to be a pain here.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
I got it a month ago.

on a side note for BD.

Don't know what witch doctors have to do with anything but maybe you can be a bro and pick up your buddy gayhawk and get in line. Maybe he can show you an FDA article about how smart you were to get it on the way. Knock yourself out dude.

You would think that your life decisions that you have made that have led to your current health state would be reason enough to question the path you are on but I guess not.

In short the health advise you have given here has been as bad as it gets. From being a hippy if you don't want chemicals on your food to chiros being witch doctors to injecting yourself and your poor kids with every vaccine ever scheduled. I like you a lot bro so I am just going to walk away before I say something I will regret. Have a good night.

BIG_DADDY
11-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Whatever. I thought I had read that the people who had made one of the shots, if not both, had refused to get them for themselves. I think you knew what I was implying, and are just trying to be a pain here.

Doctors are some of the least vaccinated people in our country. They rejected mandatory vaccination of health officials like it was the great plague. No, it's for youuuuuuuuuuuuuu guys.

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 06:50 PM

OK, I suppose it is possible that you did read it. I just read a bunch of stuff about how vaccines are ineffective. Of course, I read it on here from people who favor tin foil hats to ward off the alien mindreaders.

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Doctors are some of the least vaccinated people in our country. They rejected mandatory vaccination of health officials like it was the great plague. No, it's for youuuuuuuuuuuuuu guys.

Where do you get this stuff? How about a link to something that actually documents this? I can't wait to see the source.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
OK, I suppose it is possible that you did read it. I just read a bunch of stuff about how vaccines are ineffective. Of course, I read it on here from people who favor tin foil hats to ward off the alien mindreaders.

You must be a doctor, or are otherwise influenced by the medical/pharmaceutical industry. You seem a touch irritated at the thought of people thinking that these flu shots are a waste of time and money, and possibly of no value as to how they are presented.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 07:02 PM
You must be a doctor, or are otherwise influenced by the medical/pharmaceutical industry. You seem a touch irritated at the thought of people thinking that these flu shots are a waste of time and money, and possibly of no value as to how they are presented.

no, he's probably like me an has zero belief in some grand vaccine conspiracy., and the morons that espouse that bullshit.

Don't get the flu shot if you don't want it, but stop telling people bullshit and trying to convince them that their kids don't need vaccination.

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 07:12 PM

Not a doctor, and I don't think they are perfect, but we trust doctors to diagnose and treat all variety of health issues--or are you doing your own surgeries as well? I don't see why we wouldn't trust doctors about vaccines that they overwhelmingly support.

Iowanian
11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Never mind.

FAX
11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Hospital I work at quite a few of the RNs have declined to get the shot. Most said they didn't trust it, none of them really ever went into detail much after that. One of my colleagues said that even though the chance is very very small, she didn't want to take the slim chance of getting guillain barre syndrome.

This year we either get the shot, or starting Jan 1, we wear a mask everywhere in the hospital.

I didn't take the shot, not afraid of the side effects or anything like that, just didn't feel the need to since I haven't had anything more than a cold for the past 10 years.

I thought it was funny because there was a big sign on the ER door that said children under age 13 were not admitted due to a "flu pandemic". I was unaware that we were experiencing a pandemic.

Then, during the routine questioning, the nurse asked me if I'd had a flu shot and I explained about the tv commercials and the hypnosis problem. Then, I asked her if she had gotten her flu shot and she said, "No. Never. And I never will."

In retrospect, I wish I'd explored her response a little more completely but the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX was in the room and she doesn't like it when I explore other girls responses.

FAX

RJ
11-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I thought it was funny because there was a big sign on the ER door that said children under age 13 were not admitted due to a "flu pandemic". I was unaware that we were experiencing a pandemic.

Then, during the routine questioning, the nurse asked me if I'd had a flu shot and I explained about the tv commercials and the hypnosis problem. Then, I asked her if she had gotten her flu shot and she said, "No. Never. And I never will."

In retrospect, I wish I'd explored her response a little more completely but the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX was in the room and she doesn't like it when I explore other girls responses.

FAX

That's too bad. It sounds like she had a nice set of responses.

kstater
11-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Yep, I'm in the Air Force. Every year for the last 24..............

Have you ever died or gotten autism from the vaccination?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Have you ever died or gotten autism from the vaccination?

or become able to only walk backwards?

KCHawg
11-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't think so, when I get the one for this year I'll have them check my medical records and see..........

Spott
11-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I used to get them, but the last time I got one about 10-12 years ago I got the flu 2 or 3 times that year. I've only the flu once since then(last year).

kstater
11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00914/chermain_914342a.jpg

See what the vaccination can do to you?

Bowser
11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I guess this is partly where I form my opinion?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4SmFxyust0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4SmFxyust0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

All I know for fact is that I haven't gotten a flu shot in over ten years, and I haven't had the flu in the past ten years. Before that, it was at least once a season, and always AFTER I got the stupid shot.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 07:52 PM
no, he's probably like me an has zero belief in some grand vaccine conspiracy., and the morons that espouse that bullshit.

Don't get the flu shot if you don't want it, but stop telling people bullshit and trying to convince them that their kids don't need vaccination.

By all means - give yourself and anyone in your family the shot(s). Like I said, I got the flu regularly while getting the shot, and since I've stopped, I haven't had it once. And to hear people from the medical industry come forth and say that they don't want the shot for this,that, or the other reason, just re-affirms my belief that I'm doing the right thing by NOT getting the shot.

RJ
11-09-2010, 08:01 PM
I think people who want to get a flu shot for themselves or their family should probably go ahead and do that, and people who don't want them should not. I think it's probably not generally a good idea to make medical decisions for yourself or your family based on information you receive from an internet football message board.

But that's just me.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I think people who want to get a flu shot for themselves or their family should probably go ahead and do that, and people who don't want them should not. I think it's probably not generally a good idea to make medical decisions for yourself or your family based on information you receive from an internet football message board.

But that's just me.

You should probably stay clear of the DC forum, lol.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 08:04 PM
And just to be clear - I'm not anti flu shot for the masses. I just chose not to get one for myself.

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I guess this is partly where I form my opinion?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4SmFxyust0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4SmFxyust0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

What kind of source is that? Some news report from Moscow is what you send? Even then the "Investigative Journalist" says he talked to some people who talked to some people in the medical community that say the makers won't take it. Well, I'm convinced.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 08:19 PM
This issue is like an atheist trying to convince a committed believer and vice-versa. It is not going to happen, research and scientific consensus does not matter. The only thing you'll end up doing is wasting hours on wikipedia and google trying to find that silver bullet killer study that proves you right, only to be enraged at either not finding it or seeing your efforts dismissed. Why do you want to piss yourself off so much, give your opinion and move on.

On vaccines, people believe what they want to believe, and you are not going to verbally beat the other guy into submission to the point where they change such a strongly-held, perhaps irrational, belief. Not unless they decide to on their own after a lot of research.

BigMeatballDave
11-09-2010, 08:32 PM
No. Havent had one in 10 yrs. I rarely get sick.

Bwana
11-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Hell no.

BWillie
11-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I think you all should grow a pair. I have no studies to support this, but I think at least 50% of your health is mental. If you tell yourself you won't get sick and have confidence in your health and demeanor, I definitely think it helps.

If you are a pansy that has to use 20 sick days a year, it's probably a good idea. I remember in college where people are all confined together and everybody dropping like flys and getting sick left and right. I just sat there scratching my head what the deal was never getting sick. Am I just the luckiest guy in the world or what?

Baconeater
11-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Never ever have. I haven't ever even considered it. Not that I'm worried about dying or getting autism, it's more that I'm kinda lazy and getting one would probably require some level of effort.

2bikemike
11-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I probably shouldn't say this and jinx my good health. But the last time I got sick was way back in Dec. 1999 when I flew to KC to watch the Grbac led Chiefs whoop the Mike Tomczack led Pittsburgh Steelers.

luv
11-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Typically do, and I rarely get sick aside from sinuses when the weather drastically changes.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:01 PM
I think you all should grow a pair. I have no studies to support this, but I think at least 50% of your health is mental. If you tell yourself you won't get sick and have confidence in your health and demeanor, I definitely think it helps.

If you are a pansy that has to use 20 sick days a year, it's probably a good idea. I remember in college where people are all confined together and everybody dropping like flys and getting sick left and right. I just sat there scratching my head what the deal was never getting sick. Am I just the luckiest guy in the world or what?

It could be tolerance more than anything else. I hate the real, honest bad flus that lay me out, so I do get the shot. However, aside from some possible mutants with super- or crappy-immunity, I do not believe I get sicker or less sick than anyone else, I just don't get bothered by it unless it gets really bad. Yeah I know all the lectures, stay home, you'll infect me you bastard, yada yada, screw that. If I do not feel all that bad, I'm coming to work.

I'm not a total idiot, I will stay in bed if I feel like total sh*t, but I've seen people take a sick day and carry on with everyday home activities (instead of crawling back to bed feeling miserable like I'd have to be) that lead me to believe that they are weenies about being sick.

Although, at my job sick and vacation days are in one pot, so being sick costs me vacation. That might have something to do with my high tolerance, but I think I've always been that way.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 11:16 PM
What kind of source is that? Some news report from Moscow is what you send? Even then the "Investigative Journalist" says he talked to some people who talked to some people in the medical community that say the makers won't take it. Well, I'm convinced.

LMAO

It's the first vid that came up on a twenty second google search that came close to parroting what I heard a year or so ago. I'm sure I could go find more hard hitting reporting from a source that you would find "credible", but I'm not your freaking secretary. Do your own legwork.

Honestly, sincerely, I don't care who gets the damned flu shot. All I know is that since I stopped getting them, I've stopped getting sick. If they work for you, then get the fucking thing. If not, then don't. Simple as that.

crazycoffey
11-09-2010, 11:29 PM
where's the "no, I like to keep my immune system independently strong" option?

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM
All I know is that since I stopped getting them, I've stopped getting sick.

I realize this flies in the face of what I said last page, but I'll just point out that your sample size is hilariously low. You have what, a few data points for something that is not even expected to impact you regardless of a shot but once every few years? How hard is it to be "lucky" with those kinds of odds? That is clearly enough to dismiss all we know about modern medicine as it relates to the immune system, and take it as proof that vaccines somehow cause you to be more vulnerable to the flu. (That and if you are committed to believing whatever inane theory you have, you are more likely to refuse to acknowledge being sick when it does happen "what this? Shut up, this is nothing, just some mucus" unless it completely lays you the hell out)

cosmo20002
11-09-2010, 11:32 PM

That is seriously one of the most ridiculous statements--you can mentally will yourself not to get the flu or a cold. I'm just going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not saying that this could apply to things like cancer as well.

alnorth
11-09-2010, 11:33 PM
where's the "no, I like to keep my immune system independently strong" option?

probably right under the "I believe in crackpot theories that the government wants to poison me" option that was also left out.

crazycoffey
11-09-2010, 11:43 PM
probably right under the "I believe in crackpot theories that the government wants to poison me" option that was also left out.

I've had my fill of the governments needle, thanks to the military.
but I don't believe I'm a conspiracy theorist in any way,
I just don't believe the first answer is always medicine
I don't even take aspirin for every headache or body ache, and even after serious injuries and surgeries, I wean my mental crutch to take all the pain meds as early as I can.
there are some things the body is supposed to take care of if you stay healthy, flu / cold / minor injuries fall into that category for me.

Bowser
11-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I realize this flies in the face of what I said last page, but I'll just point out that your sample size is hilariously low. You have what, a few data points for something that is not even expected to impact you regardless of a shot but once every few years? How hard is it to be "lucky" with those kinds of odds? That is clearly enough to dismiss all we know about modern medicine as it relates to the immune system, and take it as proof that vaccines somehow cause you to be more vulnerable to the flu. (That and if you are committed to believing whatever inane theory you have, you are more likely to refuse to acknowledge being sick when it does happen "what this? Shut up, this is nothing, just some mucus" unless it completely lays you the hell out)

I'd love to respond in a hard hitting fashion, but I've got to go blow my nose and take some Emetrol for this upset stomach.

1) I'm not in the crowd that believes that the government is poisoning us.

2) I'm not trying to convince others that getting flu shots is dumb

3) I actually believe that the very young and elderly should most likely consider getting flu shots

4) I don't think those that get the shot are teh morans

5) I'm not discounting modern science, for fuck's sake. I'm doing what works for me. By all means, take my ration of flu shot, so you can be doubly protected. Maybe you and cosmo should get together and have a flu shot party.

CrazyPhuD
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
It's the kids with stupid fucking parents I feel sorry for.

Me too...although I have a feeling you and I might disagree on who the stupid parents are. But it's a free country and you and I are both allowed our opinions on this matter.

That said I've gotten the flu shot every year for quite some time now. Some people may call it a waste of money especially since I rarely get sick.ut if it saves me from getting sick for one day every 10-15 years it's worth the cost. If it prevents me from being sick for a week once in my lifetime it's worth the lost productivity.

That said, understand what the flu shot does and does not protect against. My father is a Physician and gets his every year and the one thing he told me this year that I wasn't aware of is that the vaccines are almost always targeted against the respiratory flus(that can be highly contagious), because those are the far more severe flus that will kill people. The vaccine doesn't protect against some of the more common 'stomach flus'(which actually isn't influenza). Those tend to be fairly minor and not really life threatening except in severe cases in young children. So even getting the flu vaccine doesn't mean you can't get the stomach flu they are different classes of viruses.

One interesting potential factoid I read on wikipedia, so I give it no serious credibility but it is curious.

An alternative hypothesis to explain seasonality in influenza infections is an effect of vitamin D levels on immunity to the virus.[131] This idea was first proposed by Robert Edgar Hope-Simpson in 1965.[132] He proposed that the cause of influenza epidemics during winter may be connected to seasonal fluctuations of vitamin D, which is produced in the skin under the influence of solar (or artificial) UV radiation. This could explain why influenza occurs mostly in winter and during the tropical rainy season, when people stay indoors, away from the sun, and their vitamin D levels fall.

So the reason this is curious is curious to me is that I know my Vitamin D level is low and actually I've been augmenting the level now. Many people's levels actually are low, doctors are becoming more aware of this and testing for it, if you've never had it checked next time you go in for a physical ask your doctor about it.

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2010, 11:57 PM
YES! A vaccine thread to BIG DADDY is like an oil company thread to me.

Self-worth is a good thing.

:D

DaneMcCloud
11-09-2010, 11:59 PM

Can you explain how that works in the case of toddlers?

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Honestly, sincerely, I don't care who gets the damned flu shot. All I know is that since I stopped getting them, I've stopped getting sick. If they work for you, then get the fucking thing. If not, then don't. Simple as that.

This a perfectly valid point and no matter which side of the vaccine issue you're on you can't argue with this. If you're an adult, you make your own choices for both good and ill, that's part of what it means to be free and no one should discourage someone for choosing to make their own choice(with the exception of your choice having significant societal consequences).

Hell the flu shot is the very definition of voluntary. Unless you're in or around people of a high risk group it'll just at best make you more comfortable. You're not really at risk of dying, just of life sucking/work missed for a few days. Absolutely make your own choices.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd love to respond in a hard hitting fashion, but I've got to go blow my nose and take some Emetrol for this upset stomach.

1) I'm not in the crowd that believes that the government is poisoning us.

2) I'm not trying to convince others that getting flu shots is dumb

3) I actually believe that the very young and elderly should most likely consider getting flu shots

4) I don't think those that get the shot are teh morans

5) I'm not discounting modern science, for fuck's sake. I'm doing what works for me. By all means, take my ration of flu shot, so you can be doubly protected. Maybe you and cosmo should get together and have a flu shot party.

I've never taken a flu shot and normally get a "cold" every 2-3 years.

But the past 2 years has changed that ratio, especially since she sneezed her infected snot into my mouth last week.

I've barely caught her flu but she's miserable, eight days later. I'm expecting her to get better without the aid of Big Farm.

CrazyPhuD
11-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Heh if only we could figure out how to safely transfer all of mom's immunities to her children in the womb that would be a huge win for everyone. But unfortunately we all have to build our immunities mostly the old fashioned way, i.e. getting sick.

Kids sick suck for everyone, thankfully you do mostly grow out of it.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Hell the flu shot is the very definition of voluntary. Unless you're in or around people of a high risk group it'll just at best make you more comfortable. You're not really at risk of dying, just of life sucking/work missed for a few days. Absolutely make your own choices.

Our previous nanny rode the city bus for 45 minutes each way last year to get to our home. She was constantly coughing and having issues, so my wife and I paid for her to get the flu shot at CVS.

Consequently, our child didn't get the H1N1 and didn't get sick until two days after Halloween.

crazycoffey
11-10-2010, 12:07 AM

they haven't been exposed to many's overdeveloped pessimistic ideals yet and therefore less likely to develop hypochondriac symptoms?

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Heh if only we could figure out how to safely transfer all of mom's immunities to her children in the womb that would be a huge win for everyone. But unfortunately we all have to build our immunities mostly the old fashioned way, i.e. getting sick.

Our child has only been sick three times in 2.7 years, so the immunity was definitely passed on.

But, if you're a parent, there's nothing worse (at least at this point) than a sick child.

More to the point, it's fucking brutal. There's no amount of love or sympathy that will make them feel better.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 12:08 AM
they haven't been exposed to many's overdeveloped pessimistic ideals yet and therefore less likely to develop hypochondriac symptoms?

LMAO

Delano
11-10-2010, 05:30 AM
she sneezed her infected snot into my mouth last week.

Good Lord. That's rather disgusting.
Posted via Mobile Device

irishjayhawk
11-10-2010, 05:41 AM
This issue is like an atheist trying to convince a committed believer and vice-versa. It is not going to happen, research and scientific consensus does not matter. The only thing you'll end up doing is wasting hours on wikipedia and google trying to find that silver bullet killer study that proves you right, only to be enraged at either not finding it or seeing your efforts dismissed. Why do you want to piss yourself off so much, give your opinion and move on.

On vaccines, people believe what they want to believe, and you are not going to verbally beat the other guy into submission to the point where they change such a strongly-held, perhaps irrational, belief. Not unless they decide to on their own after a lot of research.

1) Hard for people with SWOTI.
2) That's a dangerous stance. Herd immunity is at stake and nitwits like Jenna McCarthy blasting nonsense into the airwaves makes it harder to maintain. Oprah invited one of those anti-vaccination crackpots on. That's very dangerous it's not even funny.

So even if it's worthless and you don't reach 90% of your audience, the 10% you do would be worth it.

excessive
11-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Yes, hygiene is a good defense, but washing your hands won't help with the airborne particles. I suggest you stop trimming your nose hairs, as they are the first line of defense against airborne attacks.

Fish
11-10-2010, 07:07 AM

Oh, well since you feel that way it must be true. And this opinion is based on your extensive training in what relevant field?

alnorth
11-10-2010, 07:18 AM
1) Hard for people with SWOTI.
2) That's a dangerous stance. Herd immunity is at stake and nitwits like Jenna McCarthy blasting nonsense into the airwaves makes it harder to maintain. Oprah invited one of those anti-vaccination crackpots on. That's very dangerous it's not even funny.

So even if it's worthless and you don't reach 90% of your audience, the 10% you do would be worth it.

To be clear I'm talking about convincing people to take or not take a flu shot when it is clear that they are rigidly committed to their cause. There's no point to that.

I believe there are quite a few people who, even though they may be skeptical of flu shots, wont take a chance on not giving their kid a MMR shot. For the few who remain, scared of autism for no good reason, there are plenty of sticks already to beat the people who willingly jeopardize their kid's health.

kcmaxwell
11-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Yep, I get it every year for the past 5-6 years, and haven't had the flu since. Its a pretty polarizing subject tho... i remember this coming up last year and people getting pissed when i explained the flu shot doesnt give you the flu. yeah, that was fun.

vailpass
11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Breast milk carries a huge amount of immunities. Not 100% obviously but a significant amount. One of many reasons breast feeding is highly beneficial.

vailpass
11-10-2010, 08:21 AM

:D

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Good Lord. That's rather disgusting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah, it's no biggie, well, other than the getting sick part.

After picking up dog waste on a daily basis from my two yellow labs for the past seven years, along with changing baby diapers, urine and so forth, I've become desensitized to biological waste and the like.

If that had happened earlier in life, like say high school, I'd probably be a doctor or a vet today.

bevischief
11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Hell no.

this

mikeyis4dcats.
11-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I used to get them, but the last time I got one about 10-12 years ago I got the flu 2 or 3 times that year. I've only the flu once since then(last year).

impossible. The flu is only in one strain a year, and once you've had it you cannot get it again. ergo, what you had was NOT flu, at least on 2 of 3 occasions.

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Obviously their adult parents should cuss it out of them.

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM

"Listen you little (infant) F! Quit being a fucking pussy and quit being sick with RSV"!!!!!

WilliamTheIrish
11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
It's been mandatory for my field. I'll only say this:

The 'mist' vaccine has fucked me up two years in a row. I'm not sure that the best route for me. I can't actually claim it's the mist that has made feel bad but I've never had any respiratory issues in my life. But after getting the mist two years in a row I have had serious respiratory issues.

Rain Man
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, hygiene is a good defense, but washing your hands won't help with the airborne particles. I suggest you stop trimming your nose hairs, as they are the first line of defense against airborne attacks.

And the mystery of why I never get sick is solved.

Rams Fan
11-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I get the flu shot or nasal spray. I get a rash from the shot(I do have sensitive skin and have seen a dermatologist for that, completely unrelated). Anyways, I'd rather be under the weather for a day or two from the shot than being sick for a few weeks.

petegz28
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Never have. I get the flu maybe, maybe once a year if that. My Mom gets the shot every year and gets the worst flu right afterwards, like clockwork.

Iowanian
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
A simple series of injections of vaccine can prevent this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X8yUSV4oqoU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X8yUSV4oqoU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Inspector
11-11-2010, 09:23 AM
So I decided I would fight the flu and take a shot. In fact I took shot after shot. Initially I felt pretty good but eventually that feeling deteriorated to the point where I was getting dizzy, having trouble walking and was slurring my speech.

Later I found out that I was supposed to use something from the doctor and NOT Wild Turkey.

I don't know, but I'm still tempted to try and fight it again using this same method.

MichaelH
11-11-2010, 09:45 AM
I have never gotten the shot and never get sick. A former coworker insisted that they're worth it and got his every year. And every year he'd get the flu. Once he was out of work for two weeks. His repsonse when he got back was, "I can't imagine how long I'd have been out if it wasn't for the shot."

:rolleyes: