PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Cassel Mechanics

FRCDFED
11-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Ok......we have been bashing Cassel generally on his overall performance. Now let's be critical. What does he need to do to improve (other than trade his noodle arm in for a better one)?

Other than not being able to throw the deep ball.......what I've noticed (maybe GoChiefs can put up a GIF of this) is that not only does he not have a quick release but it seems that his whole body has to wind up in order to make a throw. Has anyone else seen this? Not only does this cause him to telegraph his throws but it also makes him so inaccurate its laugable.

Next.

Baconeater
11-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I'd bet he'd make a great french fry bagger.

Rooster
11-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Mechanics?? He strikes me as the type of person who only goes to the dealership.

CrazyHorse
11-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Ok......we have been bashing Cassel generally on his overall performance. Now let's be critical. What does he need to do to improve (other than trade his noodle arm in for a better one)?

Other than not being able to throw the deep ball.......what I've noticed (maybe GoChiefs can put up a GIF of this) is that not only does he not have a quick release but it seems that his whole body has to wind up in order to make a throw. Has anyone else seen this? Not only does this cause him to telegraph his throws but it also makes him so inaccurate its laugable.

Next.

I hear he also leaves the toilet seat up. I'll bet that pisses you off.

BigMeatballDave
11-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Pretty much. While a QBs mechanics can be important to how he plays, good mechanics are also overrated.

Look at Rivers. Horrible mechanics. I've always thought Rivers looked like Marino.

King_Chief_Fan
11-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Next.

i think the micro processor in his head needs replacing. He doesn't scan or look for the best opportunity.

Reerun_KC
11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I am so MAD! The Chiefs will hear about this!!!!!

ForeverChiefs58
11-10-2010, 08:52 AM
I think he would make a much better mechanic than starting QB.

ChiefEd
11-10-2010, 08:53 AM
He just needs a little time with the "Shake Weight"...

Deberg_1990
11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Cassel seems to love him some "sidearm sling"

mainly, i dont like his footwork in the pocket or awareness

crispystl420
11-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Cassel seems to love him some "sidearm sling"

mainly, i dont like his footwork in the pocket or awareness

I agree I don't watch film and i'm no football expert be it seems he tends to open his whole body when he throws, flailing his left non throwing arm rather than keeping it squared in front of him. I think that's why a lot of his balls come out almost side arm and sail on him, but I also don't think it really matters because he lacks arm strength to be a good qb anyhow.

Mr. Laz
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
imo the most important thing for Cassel is to stop throwing scared.

He's afraid of the pass rush and he does stand tall and throw firm
He's afraid of making a mistake so he guides the ball

both hurt his accuracy

maybe the biggest disappointment about him is that he plays like a pussy.

Mr. Laz
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
I agree I don't watch film and i'm no football expert be it seems he tends to open his whole body when he throws, flailing his left non throwing arm rather than keeping it squared in front of him. I think that's why a lot of his balls come out almost side arm and sail on him, but I also don't think it really matters because he lacks arm strength to be a good qb anyhow.
he opens up like that a lot when he feels the pass rush

scared to take a shot

Chiefs Pantalones
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
What pissed me off more than anything this year was that deep pass that he missed on to Moeaki last week. That was big, IMO.

Extra Point
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Trusting the left side of his O-Line.

Mr. Laz
11-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Trusting the left side of his O-Line.getting the shit beat out of him his first year here really messed his head up ... he doesn't trust the Oline at all.

i imagine Haley has been yelling at him to not take sacks constantly too

either way, first sense of pressure and he drops his eyes and looks for a place to run/hide

KCrockaholic
11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
His footwork is very smooth until the time that he throws the ball. His feet aren't always in the right position, and when he misses high it's because he overstrides during his throw. His arm motion is different, but I don't expect every QB to have a perfect motion like Rodgers or Brees.

Thinking back about how people compared his throwing style to John Elway is funny. It's correct, but it's funny. Cassel has a slow release. It's lower than needed as well. If you watch Trent Green throw (6'3") he always had a high release therefore he rarely had passes batted down at the LOS. Cassel (6'5") has a medium range to low release. Therefore we see his passes 1. timed. 2. batted down at the LOS every game. Because his release is slow it allows CB's to react quicker, which creates less space for receivers in open field.

His pocket awareness is shit. I wont even get into that. It's high school.

From now on...Don't draft/sign ex-baseball pitchers. John Elway was an exception to the rule!

Direckshun
11-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Cassel has all the physical ability that Chad Pennington had.

What he lacks is between the ears.

He's just kind of a geek that nobody else in the team believes in. He is incredibly insecure and it comes out in every interview. His composure in the pocket is nonexistant. And he can't manage his emotions in a game properly -- he doesn't know when to turn the passion on and off, and it makes him look pretty fiery on the field when we're winning, and a Phillip Rivers-esque type of petulant when we're losing.

In other words, he doesn't have the brains to be a gamer, and he doesn't have the composure to be a leader.

Fish
11-10-2010, 06:01 PM

both hurt his accuracy

Yes. But I think part of that is because that's what the coaches seem to be hammering into his head. #1, don't turn it over. Dont' worry about #2 until you get #1 figured out. That seems to be the strategy for coaching Cassel.

When it comes down to it though, I think if he had a fiery aggressive attitude hiding inside him, we'd have seen it already. But no, he's been the ideal "Yes" man.

Johnny Vegas
11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
his tunnel vision is a goddamn travesty and the fact he takes the longest stride to throw a ball he practically takes 5" off his height once he releases the ball.

stevieray
11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Casselplanet talking about the Kansas City Cassels

MahiMike
11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
We've discussed his mechanics before. Nothing wrong w/his throwing motion. Just needs to slide around in the pocket to buy more time (like in OT).

Count Alex's Wins
11-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Stop trying to over analyze the guy.

He just sucks.

The sooner he's gone the sooner the team can move forward in trying to win a championship.

DBOSHO
11-10-2010, 06:55 PM
It seems like every time he wants to put some heat behind the pass(LOL), he bends his knees real low. One of these days hes going to unintentionally kneel the ball.

the Talking Can
11-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Casselplanet talking about the Kansas City Cassels

imagine fans of a football team talking about their quarterback....crazy, right?

we should talk about that awesome thing you want to talk about...which is?

stevieray
11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
imagine fans of a football team saying the same things over and over again about their quarterback....crazy, right?

I know! cats and dogs living together!! Casselmania!

CoMoChief
11-10-2010, 08:05 PM
He has horrible pocket awareness........just fucking horrible.

milkman
11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Pretty much. While a QBs mechanics can be important to how he plays, good mechanics are also overrated.

Look at Rivers. Horrible mechanics. I've always thought Rivers looked like Marino.

Mechanics are overrated for QBs that have the natural arm strength to make passes with poor mechanics.

Cassel can zip the ball in spots when he uses proper mechanics, as illustrated by that TD pass to Bowe this weekend against the Raiders.

But if his mechanics are not nearly flawless, he has no zip whatsoevre.

The problem is the majority of his passes are thrown with poor mechanics.

He steps too far, he doesn't get his front foot planted and pointed in the direction he's throwing, or he throws off his back foot.

He also throws about 3 quarters sidearm a lot, and he often times doesn't get his feet set at all before he begins his throwing motion.

TRR
11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
His footwork has gotten quite a bit better from last season, and he is getting rid of the ball quicker this year. What he needs to improve on his tendency to deliver the ball sidearm on occasion. He doesn't come over the top, and it causes the ball to be thrown high.

He has gotten dramatically better in many areas although most won't admit it or credit something or someone else for it. He needs to continue to progress and stay confident. His arm strength is not an issue as many say on here. His timing and accuracy deep is the issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
11-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Mechanics are overrated for QBs that have the natural arm strength to make passes with poor mechanics.

Cassel can zip the ball in spots when he uses proper mechanics, as illustrated by that TD pass to Bowe this weekend against the Raiders.

But if his mechanics are not nearly flawless, he has no zip whatsoevre.

The problem is the majority of his passes are thrown with poor mechanics.

He steps too far, he doesn't get his front foot planted and pointed in the direction he's throwing, or he throws off his back foot.

He also throws about 3 quarters sidearm a lot, and he often times doesn't get his feet set at all before he begins his throwing motion.

Its not hard to see why dude was a 7th round pick.

milkman
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
His footwork has gotten quite a bit better from last season, and he is getting rid of the ball quicker this year. What he needs to improve on his tendency to deliver the ball sidearm on occasion. He doesn't come over the top, and it causes the ball to be thrown high.

He has gotten dramatically better in many areas although most won't admit it or credit something or someone else for it. He needs to continue to progress and stay confident. His arm strength is not an issue as many say on here. His timing and accuracy deep is the issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

If Cassel has shown improvement, and I agree that he has, we can give credit to coaching because that is a big reason fo rthat improvement.

But it goes without saying that improvement is not possible if the player isn't coachable and doesn't put in the work.

It shouldn't have to be spelled out.

Hog Farmer
11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I think by the end of the season we'll look back and think.....

Cassel Sucks!

KC Jones
11-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Cassel Mechanics?

Is that the shop you take your car too for a mistake free oil change and they accidentally drain the transmission fluid?

KCBOSS1
11-10-2010, 08:34 PM
He has great clipboard mechanics

stevieray
11-10-2010, 08:35 PM
man, you guys are on a Casserole..

:doh!:

Mr. Laz
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM

:doh!:Boooooooooooooo

:)

jojomontana
11-10-2010, 08:49 PM
He looked great holding that knife and fork on Hell's Kitchen tonight.

stevieray
11-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Boooooooooooooo

:)Casselumbra was a great Zep tune.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-10-2010, 09:05 PM

:doh!:

?

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/sl/04/03/casserole-sl-589737-l.jpg

KcMizzou
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I have an honest question.

Is there anything a QB can do to improve arm strength? You always hear how this guy has a strong arm, this guy doesn't. A QB gets labeled one way or the other, and it never seems to change.

It seems like it should. Hard work and reps (throwing the ball in practice) should improve the arm strength of a QB, shouldn't it?

Or is it just that the joints would give out before you see any real difference... making it not worth the risk?

Never really thought about it before, but I'm curious.

KcMizzou
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I mean, you never hear, "He's been working hard, and has improved his arm strength."

Chiefs Pantalones
11-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Is there anything a QB can do to improve arm strength? You always hear how this guy has a strong arm, this guy doesn't. A QB gets labeled one way or the other, and it never seems to change.

It seems like it should. Hard work and reps (throwing the ball in practice) should improve the arm strength of a QB, shouldn't it?

Or is it just that the joints would give out before you see any real difference... making it not worth the risk?

Never really thought about it before, but I'm curious.

Yes you can improve arm strength. Manning and Brady both improved their arm strength once they got into the league. They were just talking about it a couple weeks ago on ESPN actually. But arm strength is overrated. You can have a great arm, but terrible accuracy. If you could only have one, definitely accuracy.

KcMizzou
11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Yes you can improve arm strength. Manning and Brady both improved their arm strength once they got into the league. They were just talking about it a couple weeks ago on ESPN actually. But arm strength is overrated. You can have a great arm, but terrible accuracy. If you could only have one, definitely accuracy.Agreed.

It's weird that you don't hear more about arm strength though, as much as we fans talk about it.

T-post Tom
11-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Maybe he just needs glasses/contacts:

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ricky-vaughn-tale.jpg

Simply Red
11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
lack of quick release IS another issue

BossChief
11-10-2010, 11:26 PM
field awareness
killer instinct
mental progressions
confidence

InChiefsHell
11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
He just needs a little time with the "Shake Weight"...

From ebaums world...don't know how to embed that...it was taken away from utube...

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80946408/

Tribal Warfare
11-11-2010, 08:53 AM
with his slow delivery he needs to setup with the ball higher about 4 to 5 inches below his chin. He panics thus he needs to learn proper breathing techniques when he throws the ball ( exhaling when he passes). His progressions are shit and he stares down his WRs, and still needs better footwork.

Chiefs=Good
11-11-2010, 08:56 AM
with his slow delivery he needs to setup with the ball higher about 4 to 5 inches below his chin. He panics thus he needs to learn proper breathing techniques when he throws the ball ( exhaling when he passes). His progressions are shit and he stares down his WRs, and still needs better footwork.

So essentially start all over. Not a good sign for an nfl qb. LMAO

Tribal Warfare
11-11-2010, 09:32 AM
So essentially start all over. Not a good sign for an nfl qb. LMAO

precisely, some on here want to liken him to a young rookie or a second or third year player. If they want to go to that format then Cassel is more like a Sophomore or Junior in college due to his lack of starting experience in his career at 28 years old.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2010, 09:41 AM
One favorable comparision situation i can remember for Cassel is to Matt Hasselbeck.

Holmgren came in there and basically rebuilt the team but it took him 4 or 5 years to do it.

Hasselbeck didnt really get good until his 3rd, 4th or 5th year there. He was labled a disspointment there for a few years....similiar to Cassel.

BigMeatballDave
11-11-2010, 10:05 AM
One favorable comparision situation i can remember for Cassel is to Matt Hasselbeck.

Holmgren came in there and basically rebuilt the team but it took him 4 or 5 years to do it.

Hasselbeck didnt really get good until his 3rd, 4th or 5th year there. He was labled a disspointment there for a few years....similiar to Cassel.Christ. I sure as hell dont wanna go into a 4th season with Cassel at his current level.

Deberg_1990
11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Christ. I sure as hell dont wanna go into a 4th season with Cassel at his current level.

Well, hes on pace for 24 TD's and 8 int's....much better than last year.

Most top QB's in this league are between 25 to 30 tds a year....if he can get to that level by adding some WR help, then that would be huge obviously.

Hes not as awful as alot of guys make him seem.

Tribal Warfare
11-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Most top QB's in this league are between 25 to 30 tds a year....if he can get to that level by adding some WR help, then that would be huge obviously.

oh he is with what KC paid for him it's worse, and with the pace he's at Cassel won't pass over 3,000 yards

mcaj22
11-11-2010, 10:13 AM
start over on a guy who will be 29 next season.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

by the time this guy has a 1 year window of winning/being good/putting a team on his back he will be well into his mid thirties.

HemiEd
11-11-2010, 12:19 PM

both hurt his accuracy

This, and the fact that he stares down his receivers instead of looking off defenders.

BigMeatballDave
11-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Hes not as awful as alot of guys make him seem.I know his numbers are improving, but I like to look beyond his stats. Its not just the plays he makes, but also the plays you expect your starting QB to make.

kaplin42
11-11-2010, 02:25 PM

The problem I have with this line of thought is who our opponents have been. We are playing a panzy schedule, and Cassel's numbers and execution are anywhere from "Take him out back and shoot him" to "He could almost pass as a qualtiy backup". Not very encouraging if you ask me.

What happens next year when we face teams that have a defense, and that can rush the passer, or who excel at turnovers.

Should the Chiefs go to the playoffs, Cassel is going to crumble like a little school girl, and he will be the reason the Chiefs get bounced out real fast.

Mecca
11-11-2010, 02:28 PM

You can't judge everything on stats, yes he's been better this year mainly due to a gameplan completely designed to hide him.

To win in this league you need a QB who can take the ball with 2 minutes and lead you to a win, anyone think Cassel can do it?

FRCDFED
11-11-2010, 02:42 PM
his tunnel vision is a goddamn travesty and the fact he takes the longest stride to throw a ball he practically takes 5" off his height once he releases the ball.
This is what I was referring to. He practically ducks when he throws the ball.

FRCDFED
11-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Never really thought about it before, but I'm curious.I think Brees would be a good QB to talk to about this. I'm sure he has quite a workout regimine since his shoulder injury. Shoulder exercises similar to those to heal a torn rotator cuff should be very helpful for putting zip on a ball.

Mecca
11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
His arm isn't really the problem, it's his feet, accuracy comes from your feet and when you watch him move in the pocket he doesn't remotely look like the rest of the NFL QBs.

KCrockaholic
11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I think Brees would be a good QB to talk to about this. I'm sure he has quite a workout regimine since his shoulder injury. Shoulder exercises similar to those to heal a torn rotator cuff should be very helpful for putting zip on a ball.

He talked about that in his book. He had to start from ground zero. He had to re-learn how to use his right arm. It took him like 8 months I believe before he could even toss a football 5 yards.

FAX
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
His arm isn't really the problem, it's his feet, accuracy comes from your feet and when you watch him move in the pocket he doesn't remotely look like the rest of the NFL QBs.

There is a distinct difference between Cassel's throwing mechanics and other guys' motion. It's pretty stark when you really look at it.

FAX

Fish
11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
There is a distinct difference between Cassel's throwing mechanics and other guys' motion. It's pretty stark when you really look at it.

FAX

I've noticed that a lot of Cassel apologists I know are people that don't watch a ton of football outside of the Chiefs. I think a lot of them don't really have the perspective to see this. Not saying people here, just people I know personally that argue with me about Cassel. They see us staying in games, and Cassel not turning the ball over all the time, and that's enough for them.

Extra Point
11-11-2010, 05:39 PM

His problem is that he doesn't feel like he has enough time. He doesn't trust Waters or Albert enough. Maybe he needs to take a blind side whack, during a game, for him to get in their faces and call them out if it happens.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-11-2010, 06:20 PM
ROFL @ "Mechanics" and "Cassel" in the same phrase. Priceless.