PDA

View Full Version : Life Roller skating

luv
11-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Okay. I used to rock on skates (quads, not in-lines). I have a guy friend who joined a men's roller derby team last night. Between that, and capone's thread about his wife joining a women's team, it made me want to put on my skates again. Went to a public session tonight. My skates are now too small for me (but I did try wearing them for half an hour), so I rented some that fit. It's much more difficult than I remember it being the last time I had them on, which was ten years ago. Finally got my groove back though. I called dad, and he told me to just wait until I go to get up in the morning...lol.

Anyway, I was excited to get to go, and it's definitely good exercise. No wonder I was a skinny kid. No reason for the thread. Just wanted to share.

Bugeater
11-10-2010, 08:55 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTI3tqSOGD8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTI3tqSOGD8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Chief Chief
11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Whip it, girl...

Whip it good!

Mr. Laz
11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
wow ... it's like making a big comeback

a female friend of me also join a roller derby team recently

go for it ... whatever makes you happy, hon

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg320/ROGUEPOX/Derby/rollergirl.jpg

googlegoogle
11-10-2010, 09:45 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig9d45pUFh0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig9d45pUFh0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tylerthigpen!1!
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Funny, I have a roller disco party tomorrow night.

T-post Tom
11-10-2010, 10:04 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig9d45pUFh0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig9d45pUFh0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I thought the CP rules cleared stated that any post with James Caan skating in overalls was a bannable offense. :)

rtmike
11-10-2010, 11:53 PM
It's much more difficult than I remember it being the last time I had them on, which was ten years ago. Finally got my groove back though.

For some reason I couldn't even stand upright let alone move.

That was a big thing back when I was a kid growing up in Hays, Kansas. It was I think 6th grade & I got my first kiss there one Friday night.

Rain Man
11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
I've been roller skating in a rink once in my life. There was some sort of party when I was in about 10th grade, and I went even though I didn't know how to skate because there was a geeky blonde girl that I had kind of a crush on. I put on my skates and went out there with stiff knees and fell down a few times, and then the geeky blonde girl came over and smiled at me through her big braces and held out her hand as I sat on the floor. I got up and she held my hand, keeping me steady as we made a couple of shaky circuits around the rink. Then she let me go and I was in love. The next day at school I asked her out and the metal-laced smile disappeared and the insides of her eyebrows went down, and she politely said no and excused herself, and my heart was broken in two. I never went back to the rink.

luv
11-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I've been roller skating in a rink once in my life. There was some sort of party when I was in about 10th grade, and I went even though I didn't know how to skate because there was a geeky blonde girl that I had kind of a crush on. I put on my skates and went out there with stiff knees and fell down a few times, and then the geeky blonde girl came over and smiled at me through her big braces and held out her hand as I sat on the floor. I got up and she held my hand, keeping me steady as we made a couple of shaky circuits around the rink. Then she let me go and I was in love. The next day at school I asked her out and the metal-laced smile disappeared and the insides of her eyebrows went down, and she politely said no and excused herself, and my heart was broken in two. I never went back to the rink.

:(

When I started reading this, I thought the geeky blonde girl would end up being your wife.

Bill Parcells
11-11-2010, 12:15 AM
This was always a good workout for me about 30 years ago. and there were always hot chicks hanging out at the roller rink.. do roller rinks even exist today? I mean they used to have a dj and everything back then.

Rain Man
11-11-2010, 12:18 AM
:(

When I started reading this, I thought the geeky blonde girl would end up being your wife.

This thread inspired me to look up the geeky blonde girl, who I haven't thought about in 20+ years. I found a current picture of her, and as a result it changes my story from a sad ending to a happy ending without changing a word.

BCD
11-11-2010, 12:31 AM
I never could roller skate. I have an old friend in his mid-30s who drives OTR. He keeps his skates in his truck and visits roller rinks around the country for exercise.

googlegoogle
11-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Olivia Newton John was an amazing beauty and had real talent.

Imagine a hotter girl than Katy perry and who could actually sing without auto-tunes.

CoMoChief
11-11-2010, 12:56 AM
I roller skated up until I was about 9-10, then came the in-lines. I was equally good at both......I actually was in a roller hockey league with some people in columbia about a year 1/2 ago, I could still skate like a champ.....then went to some drunken kegger bday bash at the roller rink and it was all you can drink and I rented their skates just for fun and no one else was wearin blades(in-lines). I was drunk of course....but it was harder than shit the first 10min, fell on my ass alot...then I got used to it and continued to be my badass self.

I went ice skating a few times when I was younger, had to use their shitty rentals at crown center, then I borrowed my friends hockey skates....MUCH better, so much that I went out and got me a pair. Wear them every time I go.

luv
11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
This was always a good workout for me about 30 years ago. and there were always hot chicks hanging out at the roller rink.. do roller rinks even exist today? I mean they used to have a dj and everything back then.

We have two here. The dj is different though. They just have to program in some songs, and their good to go. I remember when they had to change records.

TrickyNicky
11-11-2010, 08:38 AM
My cousin is on a roller derby team. She loves it. The chicks that do it are pretty wild.

DMAC
11-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Okay. I used to rock on skates (quads, not in-lines). I have a guy friend who joined a men's roller derby team last night. Between that, and capone's thread about his wife joining a women's team, it made me want to put on my skates again. Went to a public session tonight. My skates are now too small for me (but I did try wearing them for half an hour), so I rented some that fit. It's much more difficult than I remember it being the last time I had them on, which was ten years ago. Finally got my groove back though. I called dad, and he told me to just wait until I go to get up in the morning...lol.

Anyway, I was excited to get to go, and it's definitely good exercise. No wonder I was a skinny kid. No reason for the thread. Just wanted to share.

Men's roller derby?

uhhhhh

raybec 4
11-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Men's roller derby?

uhhhhh

I had no clue there was such a thing. Who wants to watch that?

DMAC
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I had no clue there was such a thing. Who wants to watch that?Men that arent really men.

ChiefButthurt
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Olivia Newton John was an amazing beauty and had real talent.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BigChiefTablet
11-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Do you know what the hardest part of roller-blading is?

Telling your parents you're gay.

boogblaster
11-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Do you skate nude in da moonlight ????

luv
11-11-2010, 10:31 AM

BOOOO

Blick
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Skate World off Shawnee Mission PKWY was the spot back in the day when I was a kid. Good times there.

MTG#10
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I take my daughter to Skateport on Saturday nights a couple times a month. I'll get out there every once in awhile and my ankles are always sore the next day. She gets a kick out of seeing dad skate though so its worth it.

CoMoChief
11-11-2010, 12:40 PM

ROFL ROFL ROFL

DJ's left nut
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
The roller rink in Columbia is a gay hangout.

I think there might be one that just opened south of town that hasn't become a gay haunt yet, but give it time.

Pants
11-11-2010, 01:22 PM

loller skates

MVChiefFan
11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
The last time I went to a skating rink there were these two weird girls. One of them looked older than the other by about 15 years. She probably would have been alright if she lost some weight and wasn't such a skank. Anyway, I thought there was something up with these two but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then, out of the blue, "Streetlight People" by Journey came on and they started holding each other while they skated. Then, they passionately kissed right there on the floor.

I find out about six months later that the older one was actually a serial killer. She would act like a prostitute and then kill the dudes and take their money. Needless to say, I've never set foot in another skating rink.

NewChief
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM
The roller girl scene is pretty badass in our town.

http://nwarollerderby.com/

They're all like Suicide Girls hipster type chicks.

luv
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
The last time I went to a skating rink there were these two weird girls. One of them looked older than the other by about 15 years. She probably would have been alright if she lost some weight and wasn't such a skank. Anyway, I thought there was something up with these two but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then, out of the blue, "Streetlight People" by Journey came on and they started holding each other while they skated. Then, they passionately kissed right there on the floor.

I find out about six months later that the older one was actually a serial killer. She would act like a prostitute and then kill the dudes and take their money. Needless to say, I've never set foot in another skating rink.

Where was this at?

luv
11-11-2010, 02:40 PM

The ones here act all badass, too. Not quite sure I'd fit in with their attitude, but it sure does seem like the derby itself would be a blast.

Although, they do also do fundraisers and community service.

NewChief
11-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I was really, really into skating from like 4th grade to 6th grade (then I discovered skateboards). I was pretty badass and even did some racing. In 6th grade, at the end of year school skate party, I was showing off my badassness and broke my wrist. We were leaving for Cancun the next day on a family vacation... so I got to do vacation with my wrist in a cast. Sucked hard. I never really got into roller skating again.

NewChief
11-11-2010, 02:45 PM
The ones here act all badass, too. Not quite sure I'd fit in with their attitude, but it sure does seem like the derby itself would be a blast.

Although, they do also do fundraisers and community service.

The "badass" thing is sort of an ironic gimick, I think. I don't think they really think they're badass.... I think they just think it's entertaining to assume that persona. They are empowered chicks, though. You should go for it. The girls I know who do it freaking love it, and they -love- new people trying it out and are always recruiting people.

It might introduce you to a whole new social scene.

MVChiefFan
11-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Where was this at?

:D

googlegoogle
11-11-2010, 02:58 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9q30Ce2vwE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c9q30Ce2vwE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

patteeu
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I had no clue there was such a thing. Who wants to watch that?

Men's football and men's wrestling both do pretty well. :shrug:

luv
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
The "badass" thing is sort of an ironic gimick, I think. I don't think they really think they're badass.... I think they just think it's entertaining to assume that persona. They are empowered chicks, though. You should go for it. The girls I know who do it freaking love it, and they -love- new people trying it out and are always recruiting people.

It might introduce you to a whole new social scene.

I would totally do it, except I go to school at night, which is when their practices are.

luv
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh, and, for the record, I was a little sore this morning, but not bad at all.

raybec 4
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
Men's football and men's wrestling both do pretty well. :shrug:

Yeah, that's close to the same.

KChiefs1
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM

The movie "Whip It" was pretty right on then.

NewChief
11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
This is also the kind of thing our roller girls scene is into:
http://www.prettythingsproductions.com/index.html

This show is in town tonight, and I really, really wish I could go see it. Looks awesome.

patteeu
11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah, that's close to the same.

Uh, yes it is. It's somewhere on the spectrum between a sport and some kind of sports-based, choreographed entertainment. I don't know exactly where along that spectrum it is, but football and pro wrestling cover it pretty well.

johnnykev
11-12-2010, 08:15 AM

You MONSTER!!!!!!!

LiveSteam
11-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I popped my Chery & hers in the back of a station wagon in Skate Lands parking lot.
Thats all I remember about skating.