PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Parallel world: What would you give up in this off-season trade?

Frankie
11-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Play this scenario for sh!ts and giggles. Suppose the Dallas Cowboys in a mad tearing up and rebuilding mode offer us a package of two of their players?

1- Which two would you want and what would you give them?

2- If those two players are D'Marcus Ware and Dez Bryant (Miles Austin?) what would you give up?

This has been gnawing at me since I posted a tongue-in-cheek mention of those two players in the other Cowboys thread.

For question 2 would you keep the 1st in the next draft for a QBOTF and give up the rest of the draft?

OK it's late at night and I'm posting this in a sleepy head mode, so keep your derogatory comments to yourself if you don't want to play. ;)

Tylerthigpen!1!
11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Two firsts and a second tier player of the same position. It would take a ton more than that though. I wouldn't mess up a good thing. I would (as I'm sure the rest of CP would too) trade a some serious effing drafts picks for a QBOTF.

jd1020
11-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I wouldnt want anything from the Cowboys. Their entire team has quit mid season. Why in the hell would I want to trade for any sad excuse of a professional on that team. Can't say I blame them though if you take into account the bafoon they had for a coach. When something bad against his team happened he always had a look on his face like he was trying to figure out if the cupcakes he screwed up last night asked for 1 tsp of salt or 2. Then when something good happened he always celebrated like it happened by accident. The guy didnt have a clue. Then when the one player on the team who actually has any ideas (Romo) gets hurt they all quit because its obviously not worth playing the game anymore. When you make Jerry eat his words you know its bad.

booger
11-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Jerry jones can't afford to "tear down" and rebuild like Herm did, not that it would even fit his style of ownership/management. He has to fill Jerryworld and trading two of his best players sure isn't going to draw fans.

Why in the world would he trade one of the best pass rushers in the game? Seriously? Five and a half seasons into his career and he has 72.5 sacks. That would be like trading Derrick thomas at that stage of his career.

They just drafted bryant #1 in 2010. he is having a good year. why trade him? Same with Austin who just got a contract ext. Jones will make Cowher, Gruden, or one of those types one of the highest paid coaches in the nfl. I'm sure the idea of trading one or two of their best players would not go well in drawing a top HC.

A more realistic chance is if they are to try and trade WR Roy Williams and LOLB Anthony Spencer and neither would be top players. Spencer as competition would be ok depending on the compensation.

lay off the peyote

BossChief
11-10-2010, 10:18 PM
In this crazy world Id give em next years first rounder for Ware.

I will never be in the group of guys wanting to trade for a receiver while we have this guy at quarterback though.

I firmly believe quarterbacks make receivers, not the other way around.

Rain Man
11-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Why in the world would he trade one of the best pass rushers in the game? Seriously? Five and a half seasons into his career and he has 72.5 sacks. That would be like trading Derrick thomas at that stage of his career.

Or trading Jared Allen while he's still ascending. Insane.

stlchiefs
11-10-2010, 10:19 PM
2- If those two players are D'Marcus Ware and Dez Bryant (Miles Austin?) what would you give up?

For question 2 would you keep the 1st in the next draft for a QBOTF and give up the rest of the draft?

YES. Then I'd hurry up and make the draft pick before Jones threw his challenge flag.

booger
11-10-2010, 10:21 PM

pretty different circumstances w/ allen and CP.

Bill Parcells
11-10-2010, 10:53 PM
In this bizzarro world can we get Frankies typing fingers cut off by a cookie monster?

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Not really.

Plus, Allen would have been gone the second Pioli was hired and it's quite possible that the compensation and players drafted in 2009 wouldn't have been nearly as talented as those in 2008. Especially considering the 2009 draft, overall, has turned out be extremely weak.

DaneMcCloud
11-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Jerry jones can't afford to "tear down" and rebuild like Herm did, not that it would even fit his style of ownership/management. He has to fill Jerryworld and trading two of his best players sure isn't going to draw fans.

They just drafted bryant #1 in 2010. he is having a good year. why trade him? Same with Austin who just got a contract ext. Jones will make Cowher, Gruden, or one of those types one of the highest paid coaches in the nfl. I'm sure the idea of trading one or two of their best players would not go well in drawing a top HC.

A more realistic chance is if they are to try and trade WR Roy Williams and LOLB Anthony Spencer and neither would be top players. Spencer as competition would be ok depending on the compensation.

lay off the peyote

This.

There's no way Jerry is trading a first rounder WR or a one of the best linebackers in the game.

Furthermore, Ware's on IR and no one knows how well he'll recover.

Fritz88
11-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Especially considering the 2009 draft, overall, has turned out be extremely weak.

Jake O'Connell was a steal. He's making huge contributions with STs.

blaise
11-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Ware is on IR? I know they put Spears and one of their rookies on it.

Saccopoo
11-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Trade pick and take Cam Newton.

Hydrae
11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
First off, Jerry has been quoted as telling the team that they need to get off the pot or there will be players following Wade out the door at seasons end.

When I heard that my first thought (unrealistic I know but I can dream) was that I would take Romo in a heartbeat. He may not be the best in the league but he is 10,000% better than what we have now.

I expect Roy Williams to hit the market this offseason either way. Not sure I would want him though, he doesn't strike me as a Haley/Pioli kind of player.

Rausch
11-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Pick a different team...

Molitoth
11-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I've never been a Romo fan... but I would take him over Cassel in a heartbeat.

I think if Romo played to his potential in KC, he could take the chiefs past the first round of the playoffs for sure.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 09:56 AM

I will never be in the group of guys wanting to trade for a receiver while we have this guy at quarterback though.

I kind of suggested using the first pick on, say, Ponder and giving up the rest of our draft for the two players mentioned. Overkill or not, I think that would solve our QB problem and complete our WRs an LBs, leaving no major flaw in the team.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM

lay off the peyote
All of your post is true. But this is a "parallel universe" question to get an idea how much adding two players of those calibers to major need positions is worth for the fans.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 10:00 AM
YES. Then I'd hurry up and make the draft pick before Jones threw his challenge flag.

:D

Frankie
11-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Not really.

Plus, Allen would have been gone the second Pioli was hired and it's quite possible that the compensation and players drafted in 2009 wouldn't have been nearly as talented as those in 2008. Especially considering the 2009 draft, overall, has turned out be extremely weak.

Plus the silver lining in the Allen trade was it hastened Carl and Herm's departure.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 10:09 AM
When I heard that my first thought (unrealistic I know but I can dream) was that I would take Romo in a heartbeat. He may not be the best in the league but he is 10,000% better than what we have now.

I'm not a big Romo fan, but I agree he would be an improvement over Cassel. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a high risk high reward gunslinger ala Favre which Romo tries to be. Plus I do not think he is a reliable playoffs QB, and we can now dare to think in terms of playoffs and possibly the Super Bowl.

Ironically, didn't the previous FO have Romo in for a try-out and rejected him, before he signed with Dallas?

Frankie
11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Pick a different team...

I chose Dallas because they are the closest I could think of to a tear-up and rebuild mode.

jspchief
11-11-2010, 10:21 AM
In this bizzarro world can we get Frankies typing fingers cut off by a cookie monster?In Bizarro world, I'll even do the cutting. fingers, then head.

LaChapelle
11-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Someone is channeling their inner John Wayne

HemiEd
11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
This.

There's no way Jerry is trading a first rounder WR or a one of the best linebackers in the game.

Maybe the Colts would trade Manning to the Chiefs then?

jd1020
11-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Maybe they wont have to and the Chiefs will just sign him! Cassel was worth $63m how much do you think Manning would get? He'd make Brady's contract look like a custodians wages.

DaneMcCloud
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Plus the silver lining in the Allen trade was it hastened Carl and Herm's departure.

I don't believe that at all.

What hastened their departure was a 4-12 record followed by a 2-14 and a new owner finishing up his second season.

Changes were coming regardless of the Allen trade. They had been overdue for a decade.

And the trade was a win for the Chiefs.

KCrockaholic
11-11-2010, 01:03 PM
This.

Ware isn't on IR man.

Zaiko
11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Demarcus Ware is a stud.. Romo > Cassel.. And of course we need help at WR.. I don't know how much I'd give up though.

BigMeatballDave
11-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Holy fuck! Could you imagine our D with Ware opposite Hali?

HighChief
11-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Brandon Marshall is the exception to that rule i think. 100 catches with 3 diff qb's

Mecca
11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
If you put Ware on this team you're looking at a top 5 defense.

KCrockaholic
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
If you put Ware on this team you're looking at a top 5 defense.

Easily top 5. Now give us a top tier NT to go along with that. Not saying that Ron Edwards has done a bad job this year, but we could do better.

The_Doctor10
11-11-2010, 02:52 PM

Daunte Culpepper says hi.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 05:39 PM

If in 4 or 5 years we are still talking about drafting a QBOTF on this BB, that could be a distinct possibility. :D

Frankie
11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't believe that at all.

What hastened their departure was a 4-12 record followed by a 2-14 and a new owner finishing up his second season.

Changes were coming regardless of the Allen trade. They had been overdue for a decade.

And the trade was a win for the Chiefs.

I didn't mean that the trade itself was directly responsible for their departure. I meant the hastened decline of the Chiefs due to keeping LJ instead of JA helped them get fired and replaced. Otherwise this thing could have gone on another year or two.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Demarcus Ware is a stud.. Romo > Cassel.. And of course we need help at WR.. I don't know how much I'd give up though.

As drastic as giving up rounds 2-7 are, don't you think Ware and Bryant would be major need additions that would make us a SB contender? With the caviat of using our first round pick wisely on a QBOTF.

Frankie
11-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Holy ****! Could you imagine our D with Ware opposite Hali?

That's the dream behind this thread. :)

BossChief
11-12-2010, 12:13 AM
This.

Furthermore, Ware's on IR and no one knows how well he'll recover.[/QUOTE

:spock:

[QUOTE=Mecca;7164867]If you put Orakpo on this team you're looking at a top 5 defense.

fyp

milkman
11-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I'm not a big Romo fan, but I agree he would be an improvement over Cassel. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a high risk high reward gunslinger ala Favre which Romo tries to be. Plus I do not think he is a reliable playoffs QB, and we can now dare to think in terms of playoffs and possibly the Super Bowl.

Ironically, didn't the previous FO have Romo in for a try-out and rejected him, before he signed with Dallas?

Give Tony Romo a head coach that instillls some discipline and you'll have a QB that has the talent to make plays, and minimize mistakes.

The inmates run the asylum in Dallas, and Jerry Jones is an idiot.

milkman
11-12-2010, 06:17 AM
BTW, the premise of this thread is a joke also.

But, if I were to make a trade with the Cowboys, I'm going after Stephen McGee.

I think the kid has talent, smarts, and "it".

Frankie
11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
BTW, the premise of this thread is a joke also.

It is at least tongue-in-cheek. But I WAS curious what the posters thought if (a very big if) the Chiefs suddenly found themselves in a favorable position to add two players of those calibers in those two positions. Would it be enough to give up almost all of one draft just one time (in this case 2 thru 7)?

milkman
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
It is at least tongue-in-cheek. But I WAS curious what the posters thought if (a very big if) the Chiefs suddenly found themselves in a favorable position to add two players of those calibers in those two positions. Would it be enough to give up almost all of one draft just one time (in this case 2 thru 7)?

I like Tony Romo, but I would never be in favor of trading for a 30 year old QB.

I want a young QB that can grow with the team and be a part of keeping the window of opportunity open for 10-12 years or longer.

It's the reason I never liked the trade for Montana, and the reason that I never liked the trade for Green.

I liked what those guys did for this team when they were here, but the time was too damn short in both cases.

In the case of Montana, I could have been behind that trade of we had someone behind him for him to groom.

We didn't, and didn't address it while he was here.

Frankie
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I want a young QB that can grow with the team and be a part of keeping the window of opportunity open for 10-12 years or longer.

It's the reason I never liked the trade for Montana, and the reason that I never liked the trade for Green.

In the case of Montana, I could have been behind that trade of we had someone behind him for him to groom.

Your last sentence above is basically what I was gonna reply to to the first two. IF we ever get a talented rookie to polish a bit, I have no problem with a Montana-like trade. Best classroom for the young QB.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Your last sentence above is basically what I was gonna reply to to the first two. IF we ever get a talented rookie to polish a bit, I have no problem with a Montana-like trade. Best classroom for the young QB.

That worked out well for Matt Blundin

Frankie
11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
That worked out well for Matt Blundin

I still think Blundin might have had an upside that Marty, in his pigheadedness ruined by pinning his ass to the bench. There were times I thought we had a game comfortably in hand and he should have been put on the field in the 4th qtr.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I still think Blundin might have had an upside that Marty, in his pigheadedness ruined by pinning his ass to the bench. There were times I thought we had a game comfortably in hand and he should have been put on the field in the 4th qtr.

If that were true, he would have had some success on another NFL team.

Unfortunately, it's just another example of Peterson's poor talent evaluation, just like the second round selection of Mike Elkins in 1989.

Frankie
11-12-2010, 01:53 PM
If that were true, he would have had some success on another NFL team.

Don't you think a young QB's self confidence and even talent erodes when he rusts on the bench for several years with no chance of seeing the field?

I'm not defending CP at all, as he did make many stupid reaches and personal picks, sometimes it seems, over the HC's objection. But I vaguely remember both Elkins and Blundin were generally considered 2nd to high 3rd rounders when they were coming out. Chances are, between the two of them, one would have developed if the HC had put any effort into it.

I really think a lot of stubborn testosterone war was going on behind the scene between Marty and CP.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Don't you think a young QB's self confidence and even talent erodes when he rusts on the bench for several years with no chance of seeing the field?

That didn't seem to hurt guys like Philip Rivers, Rich Gannon and on and on and on.

It's talent and desire that matter most in the NFL and suffice to say, neither had the talent to succeed with any NFL team.

I'm not defending CP at all, as he did make many stupid reaches and personal picks, sometimes it seems, over the HC's objection. But I vaguely remember both Elkins and Blundin were generally considered 2nd to high 3rd rounders when they were coming out. Chances are, between the two of them, one would have developed if the HC had put any effort into it.

I really think a lot of stubborn testosterone war was going on behind the scene between Marty and CP.

Come on, that's silly. While it was true that Marty didn't like starting every rookie immediately, that certainly wasn't the case with Will Shields, Dave Szott, Harvey Williams, Derrick Thomas, Donnie Edwards, Reggie Tongue, Jerome Woods and of course, Bernie Kosar.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that either Blundin or Elkins were talented quarterbacks that were "ruined' because they sat on the bench behind DeBerg and Montana, respectively.

As a matter of fact, Elkins failed to impress in World League just a few seasons after he was drafted and Blundin bombed out in Detroit.

They were bad draft choices, period.

milkman
11-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I never liked Blundin or Elkins.

What I wanted to see happen was signing Steve Buerlein in free agency.

DaneMcCloud
11-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I never liked Blundin or Elkins.

What I wanted to see happen was signing Steve Buerlein in free agency.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I couldn't believe they didn't even consider him at that time.

Frankie
11-12-2010, 03:56 PM
On a different tangent, do you remember who were some of the QBs from the Elkins and Blundin drafts that did have a reasonable to good NFL career?

milkman
11-12-2010, 04:04 PM
The most notable QBs drafted in '89 after Elkins were Rodney Peete and Billy Joe Tolliver.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=QB&round_1=1&round_2=30&tm=all&year_1=1989&year_2=1989&conference=any&type=

The most notable names in '92 after Blundin were Craig Erickson, Jeff Blake, Kent Graham, Brad Johnson and Ty Detmer.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=QB&round_1=1&round_2=30&tm=all&year_1=1992&year_2=1992&conference=any&type=

Frankie
11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
The most notable QBs drafted in '89 after Elkins were Rodney Peete and Billy Joe Tolliver.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=QB&round_1=1&round_2=30&tm=all&year_1=1989&year_2=1989&conference=any&type=

The most notable names in '92 after Blundin were Craig Erickson, Jeff Blake, Kent Graham, Brad Johnson and Ty Detmer.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=QB&round_1=1&round_2=30&tm=all&year_1=1992&year_2=1992&conference=any&type=

Wow,.... the two years that the Chiefs seriously wanted to draft a QBOTF had a combined offering of Troy Aikman.!!!!

Elkins was the 2nd QB picked and Blundin was the 3rd in his draft.:eek: