PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs X-Factor's Inside the Huddle-Buck the Donkies

xfactor
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
The NFL’s version of the “border war” is on this week with my home area right smack in the middle of the conflict. Western Kansas is sort of a no-man’s land when it comes to the Kansas City Chiefs and the Denver Broncos. Loyalties are pretty evenly divided.Of course, being anything but a Chiefs’ fan was never a consideration in our household, even when John Elway was ripping our hearts out year after year. We finally served up a measure of revenge in the final game of last season when we thrashed the Broncos at Mile High Stadium. If the Chiefs want to maintain their edge in the AFC West they will have to pull off an encore performance on Sunday.

The big question is which KC team will show up? The one that threw 35 passes in a loss to Oakland or the team that has won five games behind their running game? There’s no doubt which team needs to arrive in Denver.
It should be obvious that if we’re going to be a playoff team it’s not going to happen with quarterback Matt Cassel throwing 35 passes and scraping by with an 82.6 QB rating. No matter how much lipstick you put on a linemen, he’s not going to win any beauty contest. The same can be said for our passing game. Granted, we still had our chances to win. If Dwayne Bowe makes a catch in the final two minutes of a pass that should have been caught, it’s game, set and match. Then again, if he makes the catch and we get the win, have we learned anything? If we come back this week and throw the ball 30-35 times, then apparently not.

We’re the No. 1 rushing team in the NFL for a reason. Granted, it was a rough day for Thomas Jones (19 carries, 32 yards), but Jamaal Charles averaged 5.3 yards per carry. The fact is we aren’t going to beat good teams if Jones and Charles combine for just 29 carries. The chorus in Kansas City is putting this loss on head coach Todd Haley and offensive coordinator Charlie Weiss. This time the chorus isn’t singing out of tune.

Denver in Free-Fall! That all said, we can get back on track with a win against a Broncos team that’s lost four straight games and 14 of their last 18.Rumor has it that they’re trying to bring Elway out of retirement.
In all honesty, you can’t put Denver’s poor start on the shoulders of quarterback Kyle Orton. In fact, Orton has already passed for 2,509 yards and is on pace to break Dan Marino’s single-season record of 5,084 yards set in 1984. Which tells us two things:
1) This will be a huge test for our secondary; and
2) Denver has a very one-dimensional offense.

Need proof? Orton is also the teams’ second leading rusher with just 90 yards for the season. We’re talking about a team that’s dead last in the NFL with just 67.3 rushing yards per game. On the other side of the ball, the Broncos are ranked 31st in rush defense, allowing 154.6 yards per game.
For those of you who are trying to get all this down in crayon, we’ll write more slowly (especially if you have a direct link to the Chiefs’ coaching staff).
Denver can’t run the ball. They traded runningback Peyton Hillis, who last week rushed for 184 yards against New England, for Brady Quinn. Yes, those are the trades that get general managers and head coaches fired. So now the Broncos have virtually no running game.The Broncos have also been decimated by injuries on defense. The word out of Denver is that if one more player goes down they’re drawing a ticket out of a hopper on the sideline and the winning fan gets to suit up on defense. Another couple of losses and they may be choosing their next head coach the same way.

And, by the way, it’s not just a matter of learning how to win, but also learning how not to lose, In two of our losses we let 10 point leads slip away, including Texas and Oakland. You have to learn how to put teams away in the NFL and you can’t make mistakes that take points off the board, which we have also done. How important is it to win this week’s game?
Well, my grandmother had an old saying that went something like this: When the wind howls out of the north and snow is piled high outside your door it doesn’t mean beans if you’re vacationing in south Texas. What does that have to do with Sunday’s game? Well, nothing really. But if we pass 35 times and don’t establish our running game against the Broncos, then Grandma is going to look like a genius. I really don’t think Haley or Weiss want that hanging over their heads.

Detoxing
11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
You know.....the Chiefs haven't been playing winning football since you've started posting these things....just sayin'

DMAC
11-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Yes...stop.

xfactor
11-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Ah ya. Me writing an positive Chiefs article is reason for us losing ROFL. Ive been doing this for years, guess all coaches around league use it as scouting report?

KurtCobain
11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
We have to beat denver with our running game? Wow, I never thought about it that way. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Detoxing
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Ah ya. Me writing an positive Chiefs article is reason for us losing ROFL. Ive been doing this for years, guess all coaches around league use it as scouting report?

Bad Juju.

And if you've been writing these for years, well that would explain a lot.

Just sayin'. Maybe stop writing these for about a month and see what happens. Never know.

LaChapelle
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't read that much from Teicher/Babb/Whitlock or Peter King
just catch what others quote

Rausch
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Philli may claim to be rough but this BB punches you in the face and tells you how ugly your kid is while you collect yourself...

Buehler445
11-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Bad Juju.

Just sayin'. Maybe stop writing these for about a month and see what happens. Never know.

He writes for the paper here. He's not going to quit writing them. Quit posting maybe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mile High Mania
11-11-2010, 01:13 PM
If KC sticks with the two headed RB monster and feeds them, mixing it up with passes (short and safe) to Moeaki and a few to Bowe, the Chiefs will be fine.

McDaniels is a coaching moron... he makes Wade Phillips point and snicker.

Royal and Demaryius Thomas (or DT as many around here call him) are not being utilized correctly. Orton isn't getting a lot of support from the OL, which also leads to the running woes, but he's not getting consistent time to view all of his options.

Lloyd has proven to be a legit and consistent threat - the damn guy has amazed me with his production and they'll look to him often. Lloyd should be drawing double coverage (and has) which "should" be opening things up for Gaffney, Royal and Thomas... but Orton is running for his life back there and not having time to check down all of his options.

Again - Denver is having issues with both lines.

I want McDaniels fired... I would love for Denver to win this game ... but if you told me that you had a crystal ball and you saw that Bowlen fired McDaniels after losing this game, I would sit back and anxiously await the loss.

chasedude
11-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Bad Juju.

:spock: Post full of FAIL!