PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Let's face facts: we're going to have to bonus-up on Matt Cassel.

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 06:41 PM
There's been a few conversations this season that keep asking the question "if we don't drop Cassel to get out of the bonus he's due..."

I mean, just stop. Cassel will survive the offseason and will likely be our starter next year.

Even if Pioli and Haley understood what we all know to be true, which is that Cassel is not that answer and is not a franchise QB, than acquiring one is damn near impossible.

Who would be available this offseason? A few stopgaps, none of them franchise guys. (A thread will no doubt be started about McNabb, but he's not a Pioli guy.) And we'll be too busy looking for a backup QB anyway when we let Croyle go -- and we don't even have a third stringer to fall back on.

The #1 opportunity we have at a franchise QB is to reach for a second-round quality guy with high character with our mid-to-late pick in the first round to ensure we don't get leapfrogged.

Christian Ponder (Florida State)
Nick Foles (Arizona)
Nathan Enderle (Idaho)

Somebody like that is the only chance this team has at a young, franchise guy, and that is the only way we are acquiring him.

And there's the catch -- even if we acquire a guy like that, we still need Cassel because rookie QBs almost never start from the first game. Cassel can be a valuable backup, and a stopgap while the rookie takes his time to get the system down. Cassel, in the mean time, will never be a drag in the locker room, so Haley and Pioli will hang on to him for the versatility he provides to their QB decisions.

Even if the stud does start right away, and Cassel really does get the shaft from Day One of the 2011 season, he is a guy who will always do what he's asked and will do it the best he can, which the staff obviously values above all else. And as fans, we should value that as well.

Like or dislike Cassel, he's got an arrowhead on the side of his helmet for a few more years. In what capacity, we don't know.

The Bad Guy
11-11-2010, 06:44 PM
If they are paying him the bonus, that effectively means he's this team's quarterback until 2014. That's 4 more years of Cassel.

I just threw up in my mouth.

That would also mean they aren't drafting a QB in the 2nd round.

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
If they are paying him the bonus, that effectively means he's this team's quarterback until 2014. That's 4 more years of Cassel.

I just threw up in my mouth.

That would also mean they aren't drafting a QB in the 2nd round.

If they aren't paying him his bonus, we've got no QB.

And we're dealing with rookies (the bad kinds) and stopgaps (the worst kinds) for the next 4 years.

Cassel at least gives us versatility when we make our decisions at QB for the future. He allows us to take risks and gambles in our search for a true franchise QB.

Pawnmower
11-11-2010, 06:58 PM
People that do not see this are just lying to themselves.

this is only his 3rd full season, he will be around a while...

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I guarantee he doesn't get that bonus. What worries me is that they restructure. I don't really care--as long as we draft a QBOTF in round 1. All that matters to me.

As for stopgaps, a few that come to mind: Donovan McNabb, Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton. I am still on the bandwagon to trade for Kevin Kolb--I feel like we can get him for a 2nd. I think Kolb would be awesome in this offense.

tyler360
11-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I just hope that they bring in the future qb sometime soon. My fear is that they wait because they think cassel can be that guy.

The Bad Guy
11-11-2010, 07:04 PM

And we're dealing with rookies (the bad kinds) and stopgaps (the worst kinds) for the next 4 years.

Cassel at least gives us versatility when we make our decisions at QB for the future. He allows us to take risks and gambles in our search for a true franchise QB.

Paying a 10 million dollar bonus for versitility?

I do agree with you that he's going to be here, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled about it.

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
I just hope that they bring in the future qb sometime soon. My fear is that they wait because they think cassel can be that guy.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that Charlie Weis will be yelling to make sure this doesn't happen.

DaFace
11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Sadly, you're right. I'm gonna go sulk in the corner now. :sulk:

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I guarantee he doesn't get that bonus. What worries me is that they restructure. I don't really care--as long as we draft a QBOTF in round 1. All that matters to me.

If they restructure, that's the best possible deal for this franchise.

That gives you a reliable guy that CAN START for you if we need him to, while allowing us to drop money on the next QBotF.

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Paying a 10 million dollar bonus for versitility?

I do agree with you that he's going to be here, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled about it.

Cassel has a role on this team as a backup.

In any Super Bowl season, you're going to need a guy like him who's a good presense in the locker room and will give you a couple solid starts when your guy gets hurt.

This team could really use Cassel in some capacity. Which is why they're not going to lose him.

Coogs
11-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't really care--as long as we draft a QBOTF in round 1. All that matters to me.

Something tells me you need to prepare yourself to be disappointed in late April.

Bane
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
As stated before...Cassel isn't going anywhere /Pioli
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
In order to draft a QBOTF in the first round, we're going to have to reach for a Round 2 guy with a great attitude.

And there's a few guys that fit that description, but it is what it is.

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 07:13 PM
In order to draft a QBOTF in the first round, we're going to have to reach for a Round 2 guy with a great attitude.

And there's a few guys that fit that description, but it is what it is.

I don't think anyone would call either McCluster or Arenas reaches at this juncture. As long as McCluster stays healthy, that is.

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't think anyone would call either McCluster or Arenas reaches at this juncture. As long as McCluster stays healthy, that is.

Both picks were reaches. But this is besides the point.

The Bad Guy
11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Cassel has a role on this team as a backup.

In any Super Bowl season, you're going to need a guy like him who's a good presense in the locker room and will give you a couple solid starts when your guy gets hurt.

This team could really use Cassel in some capacity. Which is why they're not going to lose him.

I have a real hard time believing he'd be a positve presence backing up anyone after he's been the starter here for 3 years.

dirk digler
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
They will either cut him or restructure him. I don't see any way they pay that roster bonus

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I have a real hard time believing he'd be a positve presence backing up anyone after he's been the starter here for 3 years.

You underestimate his character.

It's top fucking notch. He's a boy scout.

tyler360
11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I would just like to see the organization get someone with talent in here to groom while castle continues his suck parade. Give us a glimmer of hope

KCBOSS1
11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
We draft Mallet, drop Cassel, start Croyle, he gets hurt and we begin the Mallet Legacy. Just throwing it out there.

The Bad Guy
11-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I would love to draft Mallet.

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 07:51 PM
We draft Mallet, drop Cassel, start Croyle, he gets hurt and we begin the Mallet Legacy. Just throwing it out there.

Pioli won't touch Mallet. Character concerns.

KCBOSS1
11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Character concerns? He's too firey? Too much of a leader? Too much talent? Truth is, He will never get past Dallas. Jerry Jones will be done with Romo this year. He will do whatever he has to do to get to Mallet. But are there character concerns that I don't know about?

Direckshun
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Character concerns? He's too firey? Too much of a leader? Too much talent? Truth is, He will never get past Dallas. Jerry Jones will be done with Romo this year. He will do whatever he has to do to get to Mallet. But are there character concerns that I don't know about?

There are rumors that some DUI stuff is going to surface soon.

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 08:20 PM

Nothing public yet. But Walter Football had this quote: "Now Iím not in the habit of spreading rumors so I wonít go into specifics at this time. However, letís just say that Mallettís character will undoubtedly be closely scrutinized by teams throughout the vetting process." Unfounded rumors are questioning whether it's drugs.

I don't understand the obsession with the guy. The guy's got a big arm. That's about it. You can't ignore character at this position. You need a guy with talent, but character is what's going to bring him to greatness.

salame
11-11-2010, 08:27 PM

As for stopgaps, a few that come to mind: Donovan McNabb, Shaun Hill, Kyle Orton. I am still on the bandwagon to trade for Kevin Kolb--I feel like we can get him for a 2nd. I think Kolb would be awesome in this offense.

Kolb is fucking awful man

salame
11-11-2010, 08:27 PM
There are rumors that some DUI stuff is going to surface soon.

it's been rumored to surface soon since august

Mecca
11-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok saying Kolb is awful is a little much.

salame
11-11-2010, 08:32 PM

He isn't any better than Cassel
nice of you to troll on through btw

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 08:33 PM
He isn't any better than Cassel
nice of you to troll on through btw

Good luck with that one, buddy.

Kolb is miles better than Cassel.

Simply Red
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle 'black', jesus Mecca, you 'a little much' quite fucking often, and you know it.

cdcox
11-11-2010, 08:39 PM
When Weis was brought in to "fix the quarterback" you can't assume that Cassel's job is safe. The Patriots don't even show loyalty to good players, let alone a QB that is holding the team back. They may keep him, but only under a renegotiated contract.

salame
11-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I just think Kolb is pretty much the exact same guy as Matt Cassel

thebrad84
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

I fail to see why this would be any worse then continuing to play and pay big money for a QB who has done nothing but prove he isn't going to be a franchise QB..

I'm not saying I love the idea of a rookie starting or a stopgap coming in, but Cassel is not who I want to see playing for the next 4 years. At this point I actually cringe at the thought of him starting this week in a big divisional game against Denver.

Simply Red
11-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Dan Kolb, relatively recent Braves closer? Sure, i agree.

http://i54.tinypic.com/29vb2o9.gif

Marcellus
11-11-2010, 08:43 PM

I thought that he was damn good before this season. Fact is he has looked pretty bad.

You were big on him so I know it's impossible for you to change your stance.

Mecca
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I thought that he was damn good before this season. Fact is he has looked pretty bad.

You were big on him so I know it's impossible for you to change your stance.

He wasn't good in a half against Green Bay, in the game Vick got hurt in he kept throwing dumpoffs...he played well in his starts after that.

FAX
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
When Weis was brought in to "fix the quarterback" you can't assume that Cassel's job is safe. The Patriots don't even show loyalty to good players, let alone a QB that is holding the team back. They may keep him, but only under a renegotiated contract.

If I'm seeing the future correctly, this seems about right.

I keep reminding myself that Haley is an offensively-minded person. I imagine that his stomach churns every time a pass play is called. Also, he probably figures that, unless we get a quarterback, Weis will start packing.

Regardless of the public face they put on, these are smart guys and they see the problems.

FAX

Ebolapox
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
when I ponder cassel being here until 2014...it makes me a sad panda.

Simply Red
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
when I ponder cassel being here until 2014...it makes me sad, patna.

Th^t's how i read that. LOLOLOL

KCBOSS1
11-11-2010, 08:52 PM
What would be the opinion of the planet if Romo came available? Just curious. I think he is going to.

Simply Red
11-11-2010, 08:52 PM
What would be the opinion of the planet if Romo came available? Just curious. I think he is going to.

Better, but not CRAZY excited.

Marcellus
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
He wasn't good in a half against Green Bay, in the game Vick got hurt in he kept throwing dumpoffs...he played well in his starts after that.

I went back and looked at his game breakdowns. 3 turds and 2 good games.

It appears when he is good he is good and when he is bad he is real bad.

He was God awful against GB and Tennessee.

BossChief
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
2011: $4.75 million (+ $7.5 million option bonus), 2012: $5.25 million, 2013: $7.5 million, 2014: $9 million, 2015: Free Agent

this is exactly the remainder of Cassels contract

Take out that bonus and its quite affordable, even if we draft someone.

Ebolapox
11-11-2010, 08:56 PM

I would the whole thing, most likely. unless his shoulder is so fucked up he won't play again, we should the whole thing.

Marcellus
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I say sign McNabb and draft a QB.

Ebolapox
11-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I say sign McNabb and draft a QB.

I would most of the thing.

DeezNutz
11-11-2010, 09:02 PM

x2.

BossChief
11-11-2010, 09:06 PM
If Romo came available for a second rounder...maybe even a second and future pick, I absolutely would trade for him. No question.

Here is the rest of his $$$

2011-2012: $9 million, 2013: $11.5 million, 2014: Free Agent

Also, remember he is a Parcells bred quarterback.

Not.

Gonna.

Happen.

Though.

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I went back and looked at his game breakdowns. 3 turds and 2 good games.

It appears when he is good he is good and when he is bad he is real bad.

He was God awful against GB and Tennessee.

He also has an offensive line that I believe is one of the worst in the NFL. Not surprising that he's had mixed results against teams that can really get after the passer.

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Except that he's accurate, looks at more than one receiver, has a relatively strong arm, and has seen success even when teams aren't loading 9 guys in the box.

Other than that, Kolb and Cassel are the exact same QB.

LiL stumppy
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I honestly don't care who it is, as long as it's not casshole. Seriously, I will take Ricky freaking Stanzi

jd1020
11-11-2010, 10:06 PM
The coaches already dont have confidence in Cassel based on the plays being called and the heavy use of running plays. When you start running the ball on 3-7, 3-8, instead of passing, because you have a better chance in picking up the first down you know they have 0 faith in Cassel. Unless he comes out and puts up top 5 QB #'s he isn't going to be getting that bonus. He's a backup QB and even if you take the bonus out 5-9mil a year after that is still too much for a backup. But as it stands right now his stats leave no incentive for him to renegotiate his contract. So as it stands right now its bye bye Cassel.

KChiefs1
11-11-2010, 10:16 PM
The Boise State QB is supposedly pretty good & probably can be had in the later rounds.

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2010, 10:20 PM
The Boise State QB is supposedly pretty good & probably can be had in the later rounds.

Absolutely not.

Not only is he not QB material. The Chiefs need to stop settling for QBs. They need to proactively go out and get the best guy they can get.

JOhn
11-12-2010, 01:41 AM
The coaches already dont have confidence in Cassel based on the plays being called and the heavy use of running plays. When you start running the ball on 3-7, 3-8, instead of passing, because you have a better chance in picking up the first down you know they have 0 faith in Cassel. Unless he comes out and puts up top 5 QB #'s he isn't going to be getting that bonus. He's a backup QB and even if you take the bonus out 5-9mil a year after that is still too much for a backup. But as it stands right now his stats leave no incentive for him to renegotiate his contract. So as it stands right now its bye bye Cassel.

Do you even follow the Chiefs? We run because we can, and we are good at it. We run on 3-7 and such because we have the philosphy that we will go for it on 3rd down.
It IS NOT a reflection of Cassel, it's a reflection of our head coach.

I'm not defending Cassel, but at least base your arguments on the truth, not what you want to believe. I do not believe Cassel is the answer to our QB situation, But I'm not gonna let that cloud my thinking on why our offense does what it does. WE ARE a running team, first & foremost, not because our QB sucks (and he does) but because we have a GREAT running game.

Douche Baggins
11-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Pioli and Haley are not fucking dumb.

If Cassel costs us the playoffs or a playoff game I think he'll be toast.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Pioli and Haley are not ****ing dumb.

If Cassel costs us the playoffs or a playoff game I think he'll be toast.

I don't know why you'd think they'd lose a guy who busts his ass for this team, is a standup guy and is generally liked by his teammates.

I think they find a way to renegotiate. But even then, I think they'd actually drop 10 mil on the guy for all the versatility he gives the decisions they make at the position.

Douche Baggins
11-12-2010, 02:40 AM
I don't know why you'd think they'd lose a guy who busts his ass for this team, is a standup guy and is generally liked by his teammates.

Belichick didn't hesitate to get rid of Bledsoe.

I guess we don't really know what they're gonna do. The smart thing is, if he's a liability, you dump him.

This decision will define Pioli.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 03:13 AM
This decision will define Pioli.

I agree.

I think, as far as Pioli's defined himself so far, you hold on to the great locker room guy who busts his ass and overachieves over the elite talent guy.

Cassel's got an arrowhead on his helmet next year.

Douche Baggins
11-12-2010, 03:15 AM
It's too early to say, Dshun.

Pioli is unpredictable.

I'll say this much - if we make the playoffs I doubt very seriously that he would jettison Cassel.

But to me it looks like this team is playoff bound. Only one guy can screw it up.

How does Pioli justify hanging on to that guy if it comes to that?

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 03:29 AM

Pioli is unpredictable.

I'll say this much - if we make the playoffs I doubt very seriously that he would jettison Cassel.

But to me it looks like this team is playoff bound. Only one guy can screw it up.

How does Pioli justify hanging on to that guy if it comes to that?

I don't get the feeling that this team is playoff bound, actually. I think we're better than the Raiders but Phillip Rivers is a Top Two quarterback right now. And that's the ballgame right there.

I fear we may have peaked this year. I honestly figure that the Raiders loss will set into motions a lot of different things in terms of teams figuring out how to play us. And we've all seen this coming so long as Cassel's taking snaps: pack the box, bracket the shit out of Bowe, and make Cassel beat you with Verron ****ing Tucker, no blitzes... give Cassel the time he needs to properly shit his pants. And then capitalize.

The Raiders couldn't expose it as much as they want to because they suck at life, but you get some more competent franchises throughout the season who figure that shit out, and it's over. Our D will keep things competitive, but even then...

In which case, it's basically the beginning of the end for Cassel as a starter. But I think he brings so much everywhere else that the Chiefs will keep him if they can...

Douche Baggins
11-12-2010, 03:30 AM
I think you're overreacting to one loss.

If we go 3-1 over the next 4 I like our chances.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 03:38 AM
I think you're overreacting to one loss.

If we go 3-1 over the next 4 I like our chances.

I may be. I don't know. I do know the loss was devastating for a number of reasons. I don't know if I've ever seen a more naked display of Cassel's ineptitude, and no one will miss that going forward.

Pack the box, no blitzes, bracket Bowe. And I think that's how you shut down the Chiefs. It's way too simple of a plan, but the Chiefs are stabbing at air for WRs.

I'm straying from the topic when I say this, but while this team obviously needs a new QB, there's no doubt it needs to completely redress the receivers we have on this team. We have one receiver -- one -- worth keeping. And McCluster is a gadget guy.

Get us three deep at receiver, and Cassel will look a lot more like New England Cassel than Kansas City Cassel. Pioli knows that. Cassel stays.

The Bad Guy
11-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Fact is, we win this week and we are 2 up on San Diego. Even if we drop one to them, we still have a game lead on the team that everyone thinks is just going to snap into place.

Their schedule isn't a cake walk and they'll drop 2 just because they have awful special teams and they aren't a good road team.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 05:57 AM

You mean the way they always seem to call for a pass play on 3rd/4th down and short?

milkman
11-12-2010, 06:01 AM
You mean the way they always seem to call for a pass play on 3rd/4th down and short?

They think they can groom him to eventually throw a 2 or 3 yard pass.

Just gotta keep at it.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 06:05 AM
I don't get the feeling that this team is playoff bound, actually. I think we're better than the Raiders but Phillip Rivers is a Top Two quarterback right now. And that's the ballgame right there.

I fear we may have peaked this year. I honestly figure that the Raiders loss will set into motions a lot of different things in terms of teams figuring out how to play us. And we've all seen this coming so long as Cassel's taking snaps: pack the box, bracket the shit out of Bowe, and make Cassel beat you with Verron ****ing Tucker, no blitzes... give Cassel the time he needs to properly shit his pants. And then capitalize.

The Raiders couldn't expose it as much as they want to because they suck at life, but you get some more competent franchises throughout the season who figure that shit out, and it's over. Our D will keep things competitive, but even then...

In which case, it's basically the beginning of the end for Cassel as a starter. But I think he brings so much everywhere else that the Chiefs will keep him if they can...

I don't really think the Raiders exposed anything. Buffalo may have, but the Chiefs lost the Raiders game because they made mistakes, not because the Raiders forced them to make mistakes.

Amnorix
11-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Like or dislike Cassel, he's got an arrowhead on the side of his helmet for a few more years. In what capacity, we don't know.

Here's a crash helmet buddy. Good luck!

http://www.motorcycle-crash-helmets.co.uk/images/crash-helmets/shoei-x-spirit-motorcycle-helmet.jpg

chiefzilla1501
11-12-2010, 06:22 AM
I may be. I don't know. I do know the loss was devastating for a number of reasons. I don't know if I've ever seen a more naked display of Cassel's ineptitude, and no one will miss that going forward.

Pack the box, no blitzes, bracket Bowe. And I think that's how you shut down the Chiefs. It's way too simple of a plan, but the Chiefs are stabbing at air for WRs.

I'm straying from the topic when I say this, but while this team obviously needs a new QB, there's no doubt it needs to completely redress the receivers we have on this team. We have one receiver -- one -- worth keeping. And McCluster is a gadget guy.

Get us three deep at receiver, and Cassel will look a lot more like New England Cassel than Kansas City Cassel. Pioli knows that. Cassel stays.

I just don't understand why you would think the Oakland game was a display of Cassel's ineptitude. The Chiefs couldn't run the ball worth a shit and yet the Chiefs moved the ball well on offense. You play that same game, eliminate the stupid mistakes and penalties, and the Chiefs win in a blowout. The Buffalo, San Diego, Cleveland, and Indy game were clear examples of his ineptitude. Anyone who says Cassel performed poorly in Oakland is evaluating him with tunnel vision.

And how can you say at this point that McCluster is only a gadget guy? McCluster has shown major flashes that he is a legit slot receiver. I've said this for a while--if you get a legit wide receiver who can pull the safeties back, McCluster is going to be dangerous. I don't worry about McCluster as a player. I only worry that he can stay on the field.

milkman
11-12-2010, 06:32 AM
I don't worry about McCluster as a player. I only worry that he can stay on the field.

You know, I think someone raised this same question when he was drafted.

I wonder who that was.

Douche Baggins
11-12-2010, 06:59 AM
the Chiefs moved the ball well on offense.

ROFL

The only reason we scored a touchdown was the refs.

Cassel couldn't mount an extended drive that ended in a score to save his life.

Baby Lee
11-12-2010, 07:00 AM

Do not want, if there's one thing I knew about the NFL in the past 5 years, it was that Dallas was going no where in the playoffs, he's a 'Schottenheimer' QB, Peytie-pie used to be a 'Schotty' QB, but he grew out of it. I don't see any Peytie-pie in Romo.

Douche Baggins
11-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Tony Romo is not a Schottenheimer QB.

He averages 2 TDs per game for his career. That's HOF QB stuff.

He's only been a starter for four seasons. It took Manning years to shed the playoff choker label.

Romo is better than our last quarterback, better than our current quarterback and I will bet anyone he's better than our next quarterback.

milkman
11-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Do not want, if there's one thing I knew about the NFL in the past 5 years, it was that Dallas was going no where in the playoffs, he's a 'Schottenheimer' QB, Peytie-pie used to be a 'Schotty' QB, but he grew out of it. I don't see any Peytie-pie in Romo.

I think Romo's problem is a lack of discipline.

Give him a coach who demands discipline and I can see him raising his play to championship calibre.

He just has this propensity to forcing things.

chiefzilla1501
11-12-2010, 07:20 AM
ROFL

The only reason we scored a touchdown was the refs.

Cassel couldn't mount an extended drive that ended in a score to save his life.

It's hard to take your credibility seriously given that you never have a positive thing to say about him, ever.

While we didn't extend drives, this was one of those games where we failed on I think 4 third down runs on 3rd and short and where a key drop by Bowe and Moeaki killed two drives. In spite of that and penalties, we moved the ball well on offense.

I wouldn't call it anything close to great QB play. But it was enough to win us this game and far from the naked imperfection Direkshun is talking about. There are a million examples of Cassel's imperfections. I just don't think the Oakland game is one of them.

Chiefnj2
11-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Oakland did a great job on defense. Put 8 in the box. Stop the run and pressure the QB. Let Cassel and a group of sub-par receivers try to beat you. The WRs are as much of a problem as Cassel is. After the two dozen receivers they've brought in the past two years, I can't believe they can't find one hidden gem who can get some separation and hang onto the ball.

notorious
11-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Oakland did a great job on defense. Put 8 in the box. Stop the run and pressure the QB. Let Cassel and a group of sub-par receivers try to beat you. The WRs are as much of a problem as Cassel is.

This.

Lzen
11-12-2010, 07:39 AM

You act as if this is some newly discovered information. See Colts game (esp. 2nd half).

Lzen
11-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Oakland did a great job on defense. Put 8 in the box. Stop the run and pressure the QB. Let Cassel and a group of sub-par receivers try to beat you. The WRs are as much of a problem as Cassel is. After the two dozen receivers they've brought in the past two years, I can't believe they can't find one hidden gem who can get some separation and hang onto the ball.

This is a good post.

Lzen
11-12-2010, 07:44 AM
I just don't see how the Chiefs management can justify paying Cassel any more big $$$. Unless his play drastically improves over the 2nd half of the season, I see him walking in the off season.

jd1020
11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
It's hard to take your credibility seriously given that you never have a positive thing to say about him, ever.

While we didn't extend drives, this was one of those games where we failed on I think 4 third down runs on 3rd and short and where a key drop by Bowe and Moeaki killed two drives. In spite of that and penalties, we moved the ball well on offense.

I wouldn't call it anything close to great QB play. But it was enough to win us this game and far from the naked imperfection Direkshun is talking about. There are a million examples of Cassel's imperfections. I just don't think the Oakland game is one of them.

I'm not sure how you can say that the Chiefs were moving the ball well in a game where they were like 3/15 on 3rd down.

Pawnmower
11-12-2010, 10:41 AM

No it isn't. Even if Casshole throws 5 picks in the 1st playoff game and we lose, he is our QB next season (If there is football next season...which is another topic...)...

There is a higher likelihood that there is NO football next season than Cassel not being a Chief in 2011.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't really think the Raiders exposed anything. Buffalo may have, but the Chiefs lost the Raiders game because they made mistakes, not because the Raiders forced them to make mistakes.

I think it's a little of column A, a little of column B. I think the Buffalo game was a pretty naked display of Cassel's ineptitude, too. But it gets mixed up in the message because we destroyed Buffalo on the ground.

The Raiders figured out that packing the box and only covering the area about seven yards deep between the tackles, and keeping a guy home out in the flat, and you've taken away everything Cassel can do. All he's got at that point is Bowe.

The Raiders were the first team all year to truly maximize this approach. I think we'll see a ton more of it going forward. Which means we're going to need a ton more receivers in 2011, or a new QB altogether.

But either way, Cassel stays. Pioli won't lose him, because he'll do everything you want.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I just don't understand why you would think the Oakland game was a display of Cassel's ineptitude. The Chiefs couldn't run the ball worth a shit and yet the Chiefs moved the ball well on offense.

Because we didn't really move the ball that well. We got bailed out a ton by their stupid mistakes. But Cassel couldn't carry this team when the run game was eliminated. He couldn't even push this team. It took him five attempts at a drive to win the Buffalo game.

And how can you say at this point that McCluster is only a gadget guy? McCluster has shown major flashes that he is a legit slot receiver. I've said this for a while--if you get a legit wide receiver who can pull the safeties back, McCluster is going to be dangerous. I don't worry about McCluster as a player. I only worry that he can stay on the field.

I think that's fair, and we'll know more about what he is a year from now.

But he will always miss about a month's worth of games, every year.

That's your second round pick. Enjoy.

Direckshun
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
You act as if this is some newly discovered information. See Colts game (esp. 2nd half).

Yeah but it gets masked if our run game gets going.

When the run game can't get going, which has only happened in the Raiders game this year, you understand how helpless this team's passing attack is with Cassel at the helm.

Pioli Zombie
11-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Cassels highlight film.
www.doodie.com

Bane
11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I saw Pioli in Best Buy and he said if you don't like Cassel kick rocks,because he's here for the long haul.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Because we didn't really move the ball that well. We got bailed out a ton by their stupid mistakes. But Cassel couldn't carry this team when the run game was eliminated. He couldn't even push this team. It took him five attempts at a drive to win the Buffalo game.
Give and take. Both teams were penalized a lot. They benefited from some nice breaks, but they also screwed over the offense by their own dumb mistakes. If the argument is that Cassel couldn't extend drives, then you have to look at third down efficiency. We were 3 for 12. Whose fault was that? 4 of those third downs were failed runs on 3rd and short. 2 of those were due to receivers not making catchable passes (Moeaki, Bowe). That means Cassel was 3-6 on third downs and should have been 5-8 (if MOeaki/Bowe catch their passes). That's actually very good. So again, the blame does not fall on Cassel's shoulders for this game.

I think that's fair, and we'll know more about what he is a year from now.

But he will always miss about a month's worth of games, every year.

That's your second round pick. Enjoy.
Yeah, but I think that's moving the uprights. Your objection was that McCluster was a gadget player. He's not. The injury thing is something to be worried about, but I have no problem taking a playmaker even if that means losing him for small stretches of a season.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 09:28 AM
McCluster is a gimmick until proven otherwise.

The guy has one play over 20 yards all year long.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
McCluster is a gimmick until proven otherwise.

The guy has one play over 20 yards all year long.

That's a ridiculous statement. A gimmick would imply that he's a boom or bust guy who gets you 20+ yards on a "gimmick" play but can't do anything the other 99% of the time.

He's playing the same role Welker plays except that they move him around a lot more in the backfield pre-snap. That's not a gimmick. That's a legit role as a slot receiver.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 09:32 AM
He's playing the same role Welker plays except that they move him around a lot more in the backfield pre-snap. That's not a gimmick. That's a legit role as a slot receiver.

That's ridiculous. Welker is a consistent, dependable third-down receiver who knows how to beat coverage.

McCluster gets open off play action and has little cute plays designed to get him the ball.

I hate the little bastard so far.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 09:41 AM
That's ridiculous. Welker is a consistent, dependable third-down receiver who knows how to beat coverage.

McCluster gets open off play action and has little cute plays designed to get him the ball.

What is the definition of "cute"? Is he running triple reverse end arounds? Halfback passes? They're being "cute" with him by moving him around in the backfield to exploit mismatches but he's running regular slot routes and running regular running plays. So does that mean they're being cute with Tamba Hali by moving him around from left to right to confuse offenses?

The majority of his routes are Wes Welker type routes. He runs a lot of underneath stuff and your goal is to get the ball to him in space so he can make plays. He's done decently well for a rookie. Is it much of a coincidence that Wes Welker's role has dropped significantly ever since they lost Randy Moss? No. It's because like McCluster, these guys need at least a semi-legit deep threat to pull the safeties back. I think that if you bring in a legit deep threat receiver (and a QB who can legitimately throw the deep ball), McCluster will become a matchup nightmare as a slot receiver. Nothing cute about that.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 09:46 AM
I think that if you bring in a legit deep threat receiver (and a QB who can legitimately throw the deep ball), McCluster will become a matchup nightmare as a slot receiver. Nothing cute about that.

That's great. Lots of players would be better with better players around them.

Right now he's just a third running back and very disappointing as a wide receiver.

noa
11-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Right now he's just a third running back and very disappointing as a wide receiver.

It doesn't help his cause when Shmassel throws the ball 4 feet over McCluster's head on those quick screens and then looks at McCluster like it was his fault.

Rausch
11-13-2010, 09:55 AM
My biggest fear is that he'll restructure knowing he's nowhere near lived up to expectations and makes himself affordable enough to keep around....

jd1020
11-13-2010, 09:58 AM
My biggest fear is that he'll restructure knowing he's nowhere near lived up to expectations and makes himself affordable enough to keep around....

I would love to see Cassel restructure his deal. Then Pioli can bring in someone to compete with Cassel for that starting spot and not look like an idiot for paying Cassel and putting him on the bench. Cassel is not a starter but he's one of the best backups you could hope to have.

chiefzilla1501
That's great. Lots of players would be better with better players around them.

He's on pace to have 550 combined yards in an offense that doesn't throw the ball very much. For a rookie playing in the slot, that's hardly disappointing. He has made some very big third down plays in the slot and he's doing so in an offense that is so bad at passing vertically that they're crowding the one area that he would be most effective in.

I'm not asking for Randy Moss to make McCluster look better. I think even a Deion Branch type player gets the job done for McCluster. It's not asking for better players. It's asking for players who at least aren't such a liability that they prevent them from doing their jobs.

Rausch

When he gets the ball his YPT are some of the highest on the team.

His rushing average is insane.

He drops less passes (as a HB) than Bowe, he's open twice as much and is much better at running routes (how the fuck does that happen?!?!?!?!?) than Chambers, and he turns the short dump (C@$$#ole favorite) into big gains.

There is absolutely nothing to hate on there...

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I would love to see Cassel restructure his deal. Then Pioli can bring in someone to compete with Cassel for that starting spot and not look like an idiot for paying Cassel and putting him on the bench. Cassel is not a starter but he's one of the best backups you could hope to have.

That's a situation I can live with. The problem is I think Pioli will have a very hard time convincing Cassel to take backup money in a restructure, not to mention that we don't want to pay a backup multi-million dollars per year.
I think what might be worth exploring is the Troy Brown method. Pioli lowballs Cassel and hopes that he takes a significant paycut. If Cassel doesn't like it, Pioli lets Cassel name his price in the open market and then one-ups the market price (assuming that nobody overpays for him).

What also worries me is that it might take a long time to get a young QB on the field if Cassel is there. At least with Seneca Wallace, he was a transplant QB and he wasn't winning games. I think it will be hard to convince Haley to bench Cassel regardless of how poorly he plays if the team is winning. That's why a guy like Donovan McNabb or Sage Rosenfels intrigues me--those are guys who can carry your team for a season or two but there won't be much love lost when they're ready to naturally pass the keys off to a young QB.

BCD
11-13-2010, 10:06 AM

I hate the little bastard so far.:spock: Seriously? How can you HATE him? Your assessment of certain players really fucked sometimes.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 10:06 AM
He drops less passes than Bowe, he's open twice as much and is much better at running routes

ROFL

So why isn't he starting?

The guy is a shitty wide receiver right now.

If he tried to do what Bowe does he'd get owned.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 10:08 AM
:spock: Seriously? How can you HATE him? Your assessment of certain players really fucked sometimes.

Because we spent a second-round pick on the sonofabitch and people have already fallen in love with him because he's so cute and cuddly.

The Chiefs could have traded that pick for Anquan Boldin and been a HELL of a lot better off.

DeezNutz
11-13-2010, 10:12 AM
That's a situation I can live with. The problem is I think Pioli will have a very hard time convincing Cassel to take backup money in a restructure.

Exactly.

The starting QB of a playoff team, which the Chiefs very easily could be, will have more leverage than many are suggesting.

Bane
Because we spent a second-round pick on the sonofabitch and people have already fallen in love with him because he's so cute and cuddly.

The Chiefs could have traded that pick for Anquan Boldin and been a HELL of a lot better off.

Never would have happened.He said "**** you f@ggot" to Haley on national TV. So for everyone that thinks Boldin to KC was ever an option,stand in front of a high flow fan and piss in it.You'll get the same result.

chiefzilla1501

This team is on the back-end of a rebuild. So the solution is to trade away young picks for 30 year old receivers?

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
ROFL

Bowe is a different receiver than McCluster. He's a different receiver than Percy Harvin and Desean Jackson too. Why is the standard that McCluster has to play the same role as Bowe?

And who cares if he's starting? He plays a lot of snaps. Reggie Bush isn't technically a starter. Also: http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychiefs/depthchart?team=KC
Where is Jamaal Charles on this depth chart?

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
GoChiefs is right. McCluster is not a legit receiver at this point. I don't see anything he does that Jamal Charles doesn't do better, and Charles wasn't getting enough touches to begin with so......

Besides, even if he was a legit slot threat he has the Casshole throwing him the ball.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 10:23 AM
This team is on the back-end of a rebuild. So the solution is to trade away young picks for 30 year old receivers?

30 years old isn't ancient by any means for a receiver.

The Chiefs are a good team RIGHT NOW.

Boldin could have come here this year and we'd be competing, big time. He's got a good five years left in him.

BCD
11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Seriously. Who here thought Dex was gonna play #1 WR?

BCD
11-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Boldin could have come here this year and we'd be competing, big time. He's got a good five years left in him.Matt Cassel is still the QB.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Boldin could have come here this year and we'd be competing, big time. He's got a good five years left in him.

Given that he has only played one full season in his career, I don't see him as a guy who's body is going to be able to play more than 2-3 more years.

cdcox
11-13-2010, 10:29 AM
On McCluster: The Welker analogies are correct. Three things limiting McCluster in addition to the lack of a deep threat:

1) He's got to stay on the field;
2) He'll run better routes in years 2 and 3. Subtle changes in the route can make the difference between being open and not. Also a good underneath route will make you a better target for the QB.
3) We need a QB that can deliver him the ball accurately so he can catch and make a move on the defender.

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 10:31 AM
GoChiefs is right. McCluster is not a legit receiver at this point. I don't see anything he does that Jamal Charles doesn't do better, and Charles wasn't getting enough touches to begin with so......

Besides, even if he was a legit slot threat he has the Casshole throwing him the ball.

Jamaal Charles does not run good routes and is not a natural receiver. He's a pure screen guy. Totally different players. Watch Charles' reaction to the deep ball--he looks totally unnatural.

cdcox
11-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Exactly.

The starting QB of a playoff team, which the Chiefs very easily could be, will have more leverage than many are suggesting.

That doesn't mean Pioli will pay the bonus. Patriots let people walk all the time, frequently with no one else who is obviously ready to fill in. Over paying a QB that is holding the team back would be a reaction to fear, and Pioli just doesn't respond to fear.

We don't ask the QB to do very much in this offense. It's not like Cassel has some unique skill set that would be impossible to replace.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 10:49 AM
That doesn't mean Pioli will pay the bonus. Patriots let people walk all the time, frequently with no one else who is obviously ready to fill in. Over paying a QB that is holding the team back would be a reaction to fear, and Pioli just doesn't respond to fear.

We don't ask the QB to do very much in this offense. It's not like Cassel has some unique skill set that would be impossible to replace.

This x1000.

I have said it about ten times now. Pioli is not retarded. If the Chiefs fall short of the playoffs or if Cassel blows it in the playoffs...adios muchachos.

Rausch
11-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Never would have happened.He said "**** you f@ggot" to Haley on national TV. So for everyone that thinks Boldin to KC was ever an option,stand in front of a high flow fan and piss in it.You'll get the same result.

That, and he doesn't fucking like the guy...

Rausch
11-13-2010, 11:04 AM
ROFL

He's not only contributed as a HB, but as a WR, and as a kick returner, punt returner, and QB'd the wildcat.

Guess what?

He averages over 4 yards a touch if you take his rushing, p/k return , and WR numbers into accound...

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
4 yards a touch? ZOMG what an offensive weapon!!!

B_Ambuehl
11-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Jamaal Charles does not run good routes and is not a natural receiver. He's a pure screen guy. Totally different players. Watch Charles' reaction to the deep ball--he looks totally unnatural.

Nor is McCluster a natural receiver. What has he caught further than a few yards downfield? He cauht a flare in the flat and turned it into a TD but those and short outs are pretty much all he runs.

BCD
11-13-2010, 11:36 AM
4 yards a touch? ZOMG what an offensive weapon!!!Go away, Packfan...

DeezNutz
11-13-2010, 12:09 PM

While I don't disagree with anything you're saying here, I believe that Pioli might look around and not see a better option (primarily because I don't believe he'll spend a high-round pick on a QB, though I hope I'm wrong).

Thus, I don't think paying the bonus will be out of "fear," but rather out of necessity, from Pioli's perspective. And he'll justify it with the "leadership" and "captain" stuff.

jd1020
11-13-2010, 12:16 PM
And he'll justify it with the "leadership" and "captain" stuff.

The only way you justify that is if you have a Leader/Captain. Cassel is not.

DeezNutz
11-13-2010, 12:21 PM
The only way you justify that is if you have a Leader/Captain. Cassel is not.

"stuff." Read: bullshit. Synonym: the "right 53."

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Nor is McCluster a natural receiver. What has he caught further than a few yards downfield? He cauht a flare in the flat and turned it into a TD but those and short outs are pretty much all he runs.

McCluster actually runs good routes especially for a guy who didn't do it as much in college. I think he's unfairly characterized by his body of work in KC, given that most passes targeted to him have been short hitch or out routes--that's the nature of the offense, not an indictment of McCluster's ability. But even if you don't like the routes he's run, he's made several big catches that most RBs don't make. Watch the Jacksonville game--he makes some big 3rd down catches, especially one where he runs a nice little out route for a first down just past the chains (the Chiefs accepted a holding call on that play that negated it).

chiefzilla1501
11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
While I don't disagree with anything you're saying here, I believe that Pioli might look around and not see a better option (primarily because I don't believe he'll spend a high-round pick on a QB, though I hope I'm wrong).

Thus, I don't think paying the bonus will be out of "fear," but rather out of necessity, from Pioli's perspective. And he'll justify it with the "leadership" and "captain" stuff.

Pioli has never done this before. Troy Brown was the definition of a leader and Pioli didn't hesitate for a second to lowball him. Pioli's history is that he's a cheapskate, which I hope works to our advantage in this case.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I love sucking and being incomplete offensively; let's do this!

Brock
11-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Pioli has never done this before. Troy Brown was the definition of a leader and Pioli didn't hesitate for a second to lowball him. Pioli's history is that he's a cheapskate, which I hope works to our advantage in this case.

Troy Brown is a lot easier to replace than a starting QB.

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I love sucking

This isn't news and is obvious by your posts

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM
This isn't news and is obvious by your posts

Apparently, you love sucking Matt Cassel's untalented cock on a daily basis. Do you swallow for him too?

Motherfucker?

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 02:54 PM
To say Cassel sucks shit is slanderous to the words suck and shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
To say Cassel sucks shit is slanderous to the words suck and shit.

Can we really not do better? I mean come the fuck on. Even if we drafted and scored on two kick-ass receivers in rounds one and two, is it REALLY going to be the "diffrence-maker" for this motherfucker?

Goddamnit people:

I want to win a fucking Championship. Matt Cassel is NOT the guy that is going to help make that happen, and don't even try to bring up Dilfer or any of those other non-franchise QB Super Bowl winners either because you're just being ignorant and fooling yourself. Matt Cassel is NO WHERE NEAR Trent Dilfer's retired, crusty jock, so PLEASE stop with that shit.

We tried.

We FAILED.

Let's move the fuck on and build for the future.

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Let's move the **** on and build for the future.

HAHAHAHAHA.... You fail SO fucking hard. It is going to be great to see Matt Cassel in a Chiefs uniform for several years if we get to see you cry like a little bitch the whole time.

"wahhhhh I wanna win a superbowl mommy!!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW...If I don't win a superbowl I am gonna throw a wittle tempur tantwum"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You are such a little cu nt , how the hell do you look yourself in the mirror daily?

notorious
11-13-2010, 03:10 PM
We FAILED.

Let's move the **** on and build for the future.

This.

We need to draft or continue to pick of QB's until we find "The One".

Bugeater
11-13-2010, 03:13 PM
HAHAHAHAHA.... You fail SO fucking hard. It is going to be great to see Matt Cassel in a Chiefs uniform for several years if we get to see you cry like a little bitch the whole time.

You wanting to keep a subpar QB on the team just to see ROR complain puts you on the same level as that guy you ripped on the other day for wanting the Chiefs to lose so they would get rid of Cassel.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't think some of you even realize what giving Cassel this bonus means.

IT MEANS WE ARE GOING TO PAY HIM FORTY MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS IN THREE YEARS.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 03:25 PM
He's a piece of Cassel.

BCD
11-13-2010, 03:32 PM

IT MEANS WE ARE GOING TO PAY HIM FORTY MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS IN THREE YEARS.I dont give a shit about the money. Hell, if they gave him 50 mil to LEAVE I'd be cool with it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 04:29 PM

"wahhhhh I wanna win a superbowl mommy!!!! NOW NOW NOW NOW...If I don't win a superbowl I am gonna throw a wittle tempur tantwum"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You are such a little cu nt , how the hell do you look yourself in the mirror daily?
Are you 12, you little sack of infected twat?

"HAHAHAHA IT'S GOING TO BE SO GREAT TO SUCK AND GET SKULL-FUCKED IN THE PLAYOFFS JUST SO YOU CAN COMPLAIN AND CASSELZ CAN BE A CHIEF; I'M PAWNMOWER, AND I'M A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO LUVES TEH INTRAWEBZ"!!!!!

Stupid fuck.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 04:29 PM
I dont give a shit about the money. Hell, if they gave him 50 mil to LEAVE I'd be cool with it.

This.

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 04:38 PM
"HAHAHAHA IT'S GOING TO BE SO GREAT TO SUCK AND GET SKULL-****ED IN THE PLAYOFFS JUST SO YOU CAN COMPLAIN AND CASSELZ CAN BE A CHIEF; I'M PAWNMOWER, AND I'M A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL WHO LUVES TEH INTRAWEBZ"!!!!!

Here is the difference:

I never said that shit. I don't want ot lose, nor do I believe Matt Cassel will prevent us from winning. On the other hand, you DO make stupid &crazy demands like "getting rid of cassel" no matter what etc...Paying him cash to leave....etc..

I don't want to suck. You want to 'get rid of cassel' without regard to any options. Getting rid of Cassel right now would not make us a better team, it would hurt us.

If you do not see the difference, then you are even more dumb than I thought.

BossChief
11-13-2010, 04:44 PM

The Chiefs could have traded that pick for Anquan Boldin and been a HELL of a lot better off.Boldin would have never came here. I mentioned this the other day when we were having this conversation. Even if we were to come here, that type od decision to pass on TWO draft picks...specifically Asamoah and Moeaki, for a 30 year old receivers is EXTREMELY short sighted.

At this point, even using the Arenas pick would be questionable, he looks like a keeper.

IT MEANS WE ARE GOING TO PAY HIM FORTY MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS IN THREE YEARS.
Not accurate.

2011: $4.75 million , 2012: $5.25 million, 2013: $7.5 million, 2014: $9 million, 2015: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3237

That is not counting the 7.5 million dollar roster bonus.

W/O bonus = 26.5 million over the next 4 years. Realistically though, its 17.5 million over three years and then a restructure if he is still here in 2014.

34 million total over 4 years counting the bonus.

Douche Baggins
11-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Cassel earns 40.5 million in the first three years of his deal.

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Since the 1st two seasons are essentially already paid for...Shouldnt we be more concerned about years 3+? (When trying to make any decision regarding his future here)?

BossChief
11-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Here is the difference:

I never said that shit. I don't want ot lose, nor do I believe Matt Cassel will prevent us from winning. On the other hand, you DO make stupid &crazy demands like "getting rid of cassel" no matter what etc...Paying him cash to leave....etc..

I don't want to suck. You want to 'get rid of cassel' without regard to any options. Getting rid of Cassel right now would not make us a better team, it would hurt us.

What the fuck does Matt Cassel give this team that Brodie or even Palko doesn't?

He isnt accurate
He doesnt go through reads
He has no feel for the pressure
He doesnt use his mobility to move the chains

The only things I see him as better than those two are being overly conservative (which can be a virtue if you combine it with having some nuts) and durability (not mental durability mind you, physical durability)

Seriously, what the fuck makes your dumb ass think that he deserves to continue to go out there and play embarrassingly bad football from the most important position in pro sports?

BossChief
11-13-2010, 04:51 PM

O... got ya

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 04:56 PM
What the **** does Matt Cassel give this team that Brodie or even Palko doesn't?

He isnt accurate

So far I would tend to agree but I think it is improving...as he gains confidence

He doesnt go through reads

Perhaps true, but may be a function of the offense given to him, and the plays that are called...He is probably on a very short leash for now...

He has no feel for the pressure

I think you are wrong here, he is one of the least sacked QB's this season, and seems to be developing if anything a heightened sense of pressure

He doesnt use his mobility to move the chains

I think he does this just fine thus far this season.....again he may have been instructed on when to scramble versus throw it away. It appears to me that he has been instructed to throw the ball away mostly when under pressure.

The only things I see him as better than those two are being overly conservative (which can be a virtue if you combine it with having some nuts) and durability (not mental durability mind you, physical durability)

Seriously, what the **** makes your dumb ass think that he deserves to continue to go out there and play embarrassingly bad football from the most important position in pro sports?

I personally do not agree with you that he has played embarassingly bad thus far. In fact, I have been rather surprised with his heart and passion and ability to make some good throws when it mattered. There is nothing 'embarassingly bad' about how Cassel has played on the whole this season in my mind...He has been about average in many categories, and pretty good in others, and below average in a couple...But nothing 'embarassingly bad' on the whole....I think that is a complete dishonesty in your premise.

If you think I am 'stupid' for not wanting to bench him immediately, that is your opinion. Personally I think THAT is what is stupid. People that have some kind of knee-jerk reaction when we are doing well, and have Brodie Croyle as their main plan for benching CAssel now. Also what is stupid is your inability to disagree with anyone regarding Cassel without becoming extremely hostile....

You think I am stupid for supporting Cassel as our QB for right now? That is fine...I would rather be on Pioli's and Hailey's side of this argument than on yours.

Personally I love where this team is headed and am fine with Cassel at QB for now.

stevieray
11-13-2010, 05:04 PM

...the Chiefs have had a decent first eight games. The way we finish the season will tell us how far we've come this year. I want to see us play well in December.

I don't think Haley believes we're a good team right now...but we're getting there. .

BossChief
11-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I personally do not agree with you that he has played embarassingly bad thus far. In fact, I have been rather surprised with his heart and passion and ability to make some good throws when it mattered. There is nothing 'embarassingly bad' about how Cassel has played on the whole this season in my mind...He has been about average in many categories, and pretty good in others, and below average in a couple...But nothing 'embarassingly bad' on the whole....I think that is a complete dishonesty in your premise.

If you think I am 'stupid' for not wanting to bench him immediately, that is your opinion. Personally I think THAT is what is stupid. People that have some kind of knee-jerk reaction when we are doing well, and have Brodie Croyle as their main plan for benching CAssel now. Also what is stupid is your inability to disagree with anyone regarding Cassel without becoming extremely hostile....

You think I am stupid for supporting Cassel as our QB for right now? That is fine...I would rather be on Pioli's and Hailey's side of this argument than on yours.

Personally I love where this team is headed and am fine with Cassel at QB for now.

The best judge of a quarterbacks performance IMO are ability to sustain drives on third down, scoring points through the air and ability to keep defenses honest by attacking all parts of the field.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8644

We are terrible on third down. TERRIBLE (Cassel is only a 48% passer on third down, that is including the dump offs and passes well short of the marker I would love to see the stat for completions that are good for a first down, I would bet almost anything that is less than 30%)
He is 24th amongst quarterbacks in YPA
He is almost totally useless on passes over 12 yards. 28/67 on all passes over 10 yards...worse yet, he is 3 out of 14 on all passes over 20 yards.

Truth be told, you hope he can one day become the guy you dream of this team having and that leads you to watching Cassel without much perspective or objectivity.

Dude needs to be replaced. For the final 8 games, I wouldn't be disappointed if Croyle was named the starter and then we draft a rookie in the first (even if we have to trade way up to do so) next year.

Too bad my hope for those things happening have a lesser chance of coming to fruition than your hopes of Cassel waking up one day and playing good, consistent football.

DeezNutz
11-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Troy Brown is a lot easier to replace than a starting QB.

Exactly my point, and this is why I believe that necessity, from Pioli's perspective, might force his hand.

BossChief
11-13-2010, 05:43 PM
...the Chiefs have had a decent first eight games. The way we finish the season will tell us how far we've come this year. I want to see us play well in December.

I don't think Haley believes we're a good team right now...but we're getting there. .

I dont either...and the team being 2-3 after the 3-0 start hopefully isn't a precursor to the second half of the year. I don't think it will be, but I guess time will tell as always.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Exactly my point, and this is why I believe that necessity, from Pioli's perspective, might force his hand.

When Pioli keeps Cassel this offseason it will be tears of joy for me..

ROFL Joy from watching everyone here meltdown and jump off buildings to :sulk: tears knowing Cassel is my teams QB for however many more years...

BossChief
11-13-2010, 06:08 PM

ROFL Joy from watching everyone here meltdown and jump off buildings to :sulk: tears knowing Cassel is my teams QB for however many more years...

Go fuck a chicken

Reerun_KC
11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Go **** a chicken
ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Here is the difference:

I don't want to get rid of him right now.

I want to get rid of him at the end of this season instead of trying to put other pieces around his piece of shit ass. If you can't see that, you can't read English.

And, well, you either suck at evaluating QB play or you're completely dishonest, or your and idiot.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 06:48 PM

You think he's that awesome? Good for you and Pawnloser! :clap:

BossChief
11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
If this board was around when Grbac was around, I bet we would have some real post gems to compare with today...

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
If this board was around when Grbac was around, I bet we would have some real post gems to compare with today...

No shit. Though I have to say, Mo Kessel makes me LONG for Elvis Grbac.

BossChief
11-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Cassel = Rob Johnson w/o the arm

almost to a tee

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 07:05 PM

almost to a tee

Damn good comparison.

Bane
11-13-2010, 07:08 PM

almost to a tee

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::eek: Hell yeah!!!

Damn good comparison.

Roger that.

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Fass Mattel scares children.

BossChief
11-13-2010, 08:35 PM
When the Pioli trolls throw Cassel under the bus, look out.

milkman
11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
I think you are wrong here, he is one of the least sacked QB's this season, and seems to be developing if anything a heightened sense of pressure

I don't think that has anything to do with any heightened sense of pressure.

It has to do with Weis getting him to get rid of the ball.

He's holding the ball an average of just over 3 seconds everytime he drops back.

CrazyHorse
11-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Damn good comparison.

Not really. Johnson thought he was an athletic Doug Flutie type. He just ran around holding the ball until someone tackled him.

The arm strength thing with Cassel isn't accurate. Everything he throws is a rocket. Too hard, and too low. He lacks touch on the ball which is why he has such accuracy problems.

He's like the guy you play pool with that hit every shot like he's trying to kill it. Cassel has no problem with throwing the ball far. He's just cant do it with accuracy.

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I don't want to get rid of him right now.

That is a lie

I want to get rid of him at the end of this season instead of trying to put other pieces around his piece of shit ass. If you can't see that, you can't read English.

If you think that is happening youre a ****ign retard

And, well, you either suck at evaluating QB play or you're completely dishonest, or your and idiot.

I never claimed anything about his play other than he is not "embarassingly bad." He is having a mediocre season so far that has the potential to be decent....Perhaps YOU are the one who is dishonest? "emabarrasingly bad" is pretty bad.....I know it is subjective....so I will just agree to disagree with you, but I would not use the term 'embarrassingly bad" on his season at this point. Just his QB rating and TD to INT ratio and wins would be enough to prevent me from being "embarrassed." I really think you are being overly dramatic and unrealistic....And that is why you are going to be so upset when he is our QB for AT LEAST 2011...You should come to terms with that. I have never EVER said he is a great QB....But saying he is "embarrassingly bad" is just as dishonest as saying he is a stud IMO. Both positions are undefendable in my mind. To say that your OPINION that matt castle is "embarassingly bad" is somehow a fact just shows how simple minded you are.

Reerun_KC
11-13-2010, 09:45 PM
You think he's that awesome? Good for you and Pawnloser! :clap:

ROR = reading comprehension failure...

Your and idoit if you think Cassel is awesome...

Pioli Zombie
11-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Urine ityit iv u thik Mattel Cass flings poo aquirtly.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
I never claimed anything about his play other than he is not "embarassingly bad." He is having a mediocre season so far that has the potential to be decent....Perhaps YOU are the one who is dishonest? "emabarrasingly bad" is pretty bad.....I know it is subjective....so I will just agree to disagree with you, but I would not use the term 'embarrassingly bad" on his season at this point. Just his QB rating and TD to INT ratio and wins would be enough to prevent me from being "embarrassed." I really think you are being overly dramatic and unrealistic....And that is why you are going to be so upset when he is our QB for AT LEAST 2011...You should come to terms with that. I have never EVER said he is a great QB....But saying he is "embarrassingly bad" is just as dishonest as saying he is a stud IMO. Both positions are undefendable in my mind. To say that your OPINION that matt castle is "embarassingly bad" is somehow a fact just shows how simple minded you are.

We have no other options at the moment, so I am NOT lying.

If we stick with that piece if shit, we DESERVE to get our asses handed to us when we need precision QB play. Period.
Do you actually watch this guy play?

Pawnmower
11-13-2010, 11:25 PM
If we stick with that piece if shit, we DESERVE to get our asses handed to us when we need precision QB play. Period.
Do you actually watch this guy play?

Yes , I do. And I do not see "embarrassingly bad." I also dont see us getting our asses handed to us. I see us getting stronger and better. You are an overly dramatic cu nt who is exaggerating and completely unrealistic. Why would we 'deserve' to lose if we keep a player you don't like on the squad? Why do you think you know more than Pioli?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes , I do. And I do not see "embarrassingly bad." I also dont see us getting our asses handed to us. I see us getting stronger and better. You are an overly dramatic cu nt who is exaggerating and completely unrealistic. Why would we 'deserve' to lose if we keep a player you don't like on the squad? Why do you think you know more than Pioli?

HAHAHAHAHAHA and there it is. "DO YOU THINK YOUZ KNOWZ MORE THAN PIOLI"?

In this case, you bet your fucking ass I do, as well as ANYONE WHO WATCHES OR ANALYZES CHIEFS FOOTBALL DOES.

Dense = YOU.

Tell me; how do you manage to enjoy a beverage on game day Sunday with a turd-polishing rag in one hand, and a chin-wiping rag in the other?

"Matt Cassel: Dinking, Dunking, and Shitting His Pants All The Way To Yearly First-Round Losses".

Yay!

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-14-2010, 06:59 AM
And when the fuck did I EVER use the phrase "embarrassingly bad"?

"Not enough talent" is both factual and works great in this situation.

Thx/Bye!@

Douche Baggins
11-14-2010, 07:01 AM
People don't even realize what's in store for Cassel. I have a feeling he's only going to get worse this year.

He was very lucky the refs helped him out in Oakland, or we would have been embarrassed.

BCD
11-14-2010, 07:08 AM
People don't even realize what's in store for Cassel. I have a feeling he's only going to get worse this year.

He was very lucky the refs helped him out in Oakland, or we would have been embarrassed.Matt Cassel will the starting QB next season.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-14-2010, 07:12 AM

He was very lucky the refs helped him out in Oakland, or we would have been embarrassed.

Let's hearken back to Sesame Street for a moment, shall we?

Ahem:

"52 of these things be-long to-gether,
One of these things does NOT be-long"...

:thumb::D

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-14-2010, 07:27 AM
The long-term forecast for posts by dedicated Cassholes:

This Season:

"Now that we have a decent line, I see MUCH improvement in Cassel"! "It's really like this is his first season as a Chief, really". "When you think about it".
(ass kicked in Wild Card)

Next Season:

"Now that we have a true #1 WR, I see MUCH improvement in Cassel"! "With the improved line and aforementioned WR, it really IS like his first season as a Chief if you compare it to what he had in New England" "Really, if you think about it".
(ass decimated in first-round loss)

Two Years From Now:

"Now that we've put together exactly what Cassel had in New England, it REALLY IZ LIKE HIS FIRST SEAZON AS A CHIEF, IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT"! "MUCH IMPROVEZMENT, AND CASSEL REALLY IZ TEH FRANCHIZE QUARTERBACK"!

(Once again, ass completely beaten like a red headed stepchild in rounds one or two; lather, rinse, repeat)

Bane
11-14-2010, 08:12 AM
The long-term forecast for posts by dedicated Cassholes:

This Season:

"Now that we have a decent line, I see MUCH improvement in Cassel"! "It's really like this is his first season as a Chief, really". "When you think about it".
(ass kicked in Wild Card)

Next Season:

"Now that we have a true #1 WR, I see MUCH improvement in Cassel"! "With the improved line and aforementioned WR, it really IS like his first season as a Chief if you compare it to what he had in New England" "Really, if you think about it".
(ass decimated in first-round loss)

Two Years From Now:

"Now that we've put together exactly what Cassel had in New England, it REALLY IZ LIKE HIS FIRST SEAZON AS A CHIEF, IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT"! "MUCH IMPROVEZMENT, AND CASSEL REALLY IZ TEH FRANCHIZE QUARTERBACK"!

(Once again, ass completely beaten like a red headed stepchild in rounds one or two; lather, rinse, repeat)
LMAO

Pawnmower
11-14-2010, 12:47 PM
you bet your ****ing ass I [know more than Scott Pioli]

Thanks for the new sig!

It will keep me smiling for a long time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the new sig!

It will keep me smiling for a long time.

Master of context I see.

:facepalm: