PDA

View Full Version : Football 2010 High Schoool Football playoffs thread.

ROYC75
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
OK guys, here's your time to talk about your old high school football team.

I'll start....Undefeated Louisburg Ks is # 2 in 4A State polls is playing De Soto, Ks tonight at Louisburg. Louisburg has done beaten De Soto this season in De Soto and if they will will play the winner of Baldwin vs Paola for a chance to make it back the championship game again. Louisburg has done beaten both Paola and Baldwin this season , but beating a team twice is hard to do sometimes.

The 4A teams left are ...
Louisburg vs DeSoto
Baldwin vs Paola
Topeka Hayden vs Buhler
Holton vs Ulysses

The 4A State rankings are ...

4A
1. Topeka Hayden
2. Louisburg
3. Buhler
4. Andale
5. Holton

So 4 of the top 5 are still alive .

Where does your team stand?

BigVE
11-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I was born and raised in Great Bend KS but they got beat out last week by Bishop Carroll...I currently live in Mcpherson so I kind of follow them a bit. Several weeks ago number one in 5A Gardner Edgerton came to Mac and it was a whale of a ball game. At the time GE was #1 and Mac was number 3. GE never punted the entire game and Mac only punted once but GE pulled out the victory with super stud Bubba Starling rushing for almost 300 yards and 3 or 4 TD's (all rushing). 6 time state champs Hutchinson is just up the road and a potential meeting between Hutch and Mac could happen soon and would be a real barn burner. When GE played against Mac all the hype was about Bubba Starling, and rightly so, the kid is a one in a million athlete...6'3, 220lbs and runs a legit 4.3 40, throws a baseball in the 90's. BUT the Junior QB for Mcpherson, Tyler Mathews, is no slouch. The 6'2 Junior throws darts, he is one of the most accurate QB's I have ever seen at this level by far. When he was up against Bubba S. he was CLEARLY a better passer but Bubba's exceptional speed/strength got him the victory. Some potential great matchups in the coming weeks in 5A here in KS.

|Zach|
11-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I am shooting at Rockhurst\Blue Springs tonight.

Should be fun.

Bambi
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Ah shit I'm from Baldwin. Hows the team this year?

beer bacon
11-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm hoping Lee's Summit can upset LS West tomorrow. It will take a pretty titanic effort from Corbin Berkstresser to do so. LS West overall is the much more complete team. The biggest problem for Lee's Summit will be keeping LS West from scoring a bijillion points.

The Blue Springs / Rockhurst game is interesting. Rockhurst isn't flashy, but they get the job done.

|Zach|
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm hoping Lee's Summit can upset LS West tomorrow. It will take a pretty titanic effort from Corbin Berkstresser to do so. LS West overall is the much more complete team. The biggest problem for Lee's Summit will be keeping LS West from scoring a bijillion points.

The Blue Springs / Rockhurst game is interesting. Rockhurst isn't flashy, but they get the job done.

Yea that has always been their story. I don't follow this stuff at all like before but I know in their first meeting Blue Springs lost to them 6 to 7 because of a failed XP. That would suck!

HotRoute
11-12-2010, 12:03 PM
rooting for a carrol vs. hutch rematch in 5a

and heights to win 6a

CoMoChief
11-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Yea that has always been their story. I don't follow this stuff at all like before but I know in their first meeting Blue Springs lost to them 6 to 7 because of a failed XP. That would suck!

or losing to your rival becaue of a holding penalty.

ROFL

Blick
11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
SM North made the playoffs I think, and I think they lost. Haven't followed them at all really. They've been pretty shitty for a while.

|Zach|
11-12-2010, 01:01 PM
or losing to your rival becaue of a holding penalty.

ROFL

Ha, that WAS dramatic.

Saul Good
11-12-2010, 01:19 PM

Rockhurst is undefeated with 3 games decided by blocked extra points.

ROYC75
11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Ah shit I'm from Baldwin. Hows the team this year?

Baldwin lost @ Louisburg, 42-26. It's the only game Baldwin has lost. I can't remember the year, have to look it up but Baldwin and Louisbug played twice and Louisburg went and lost the championship game in Salina.( Edit : 2007, Louisburg lost to Andale )

I'm thinking if they meet this time, they will play in Baldwin, that should fire them up to play. Baldwin beat Paola earlier in the year 32-14.

|Zach|
11-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Rockhurst is undefeated with 3 games decided by blocked extra points.

Wow, seriously? Ha.

I am looking forward to catching the game.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 01:42 PM

I saw that Blue Springs lost to Staley this year. What happened in that one? Staley is pretty good, but that one surprised me a lot.

Shogun
11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm from the 6 time repeating Championship Hutch team, I miss playing. I hope Dreiling and the boys can get it done again. GO SALTHAWKS!

|Zach|
11-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I saw that Blue Springs lost to Staley this year. What happened in that one? Staley is pretty good, but that one surprised me a lot.

Yea, from what I hear they big start Miller was out. Having said that it was a still a shocking loss. There are not that many times Blue Springs has lost to teams not named Rockhurst or Blue Springs South.

milkman
11-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I didn't see the Leavenworth Pioneers mentioned.

jjchieffan
11-12-2010, 03:47 PM
My hometown team is Cassville, MO. 12-0 Class 3A number 1 ranked team in the state and back to back defending champions. Playing tomorrow in quarterfinals

BigVE
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm from the 6 time repeating Championship Hutch team, I miss playing. I hope Dreiling and the boys can get it done again. GO SALTHAWKS!

From what I have seen and heard they are still very good but seem to be a notch below what they have been in recent years...which is still very good. I'm hoping for a Mcpherson vs. Hutch matchup in a couple of weeks.

JohninGpt
11-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Broken Arrow is home tonight against Bartlesville in the 1st round of the Oklahoma 6A playoffs.

Bambi
11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Baldwin lost @ Louisburg, 42-26. It's the only game Baldwin has lost. I can't remember the year, have to look it up but Baldwin and Louisbug played twice and Louisburg went and lost the championship game in Salina.( Edit : 2007, Louisburg lost to Andale )

I'm thinking if they meet this time, they will play in Baldwin, that should fire them up to play. Baldwin beat Paola earlier in the year 32-14.

Sweet. Good to see the Bulldogs playing well.

Shogun
11-12-2010, 04:09 PM
From what I have seen and heard they are still very good but seem to be a notch below what they have been in recent years...which is still very good. I'm hoping for a Mcpherson vs. Hutch matchup in a couple of weeks.

Would be cool and IIRC a rematch with the Pups is always fun, would be worth travelling to see. Every year once it gets to the seniors leaving, the 4 year players are very good and its a big loss when they leave, Dreiling does a great job reloading. I am very confident he would be a GREAT college coach.

BigRedChief
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM

The Blue Springs / Rockhurst game is interesting. Rockhurst isn't flashy, but they get the job done.The last year my son played football at LSW, 22 players off that team got a football scholorship offer. 22 kids off of one team. LSW wants to compete against BS and Rockhurst. They have the facilites now and are attracting some good players to the district.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-12-2010, 06:47 PM
The East Dillon Lions are looking good so far this year.

KCrockaholic
11-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Harrisonville is playing Kearney tomorrow...

patteeu
11-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Harrisonville is playing Kearney tomorrow...

Who is going to win?

KCrockaholic
11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Who is going to win?

I hope Harrisonville wins. But their coaches' name is

Chuck Literas

C.Literas

CLiteras

Cliteras

:evil:

CoMoChief
11-12-2010, 08:01 PM
****.....Rock up 7-0 on Blue Springs

These 2 teams just need to play for the fucking state title every year.

KCrockaholic
11-12-2010, 08:05 PM

These 2 teams just need to play for the ****ing state title every year.

They should play these games on local TV. I'd watch.

CoMoChief
11-12-2010, 08:06 PM
They should play these games on local TV. I'd watch.

yeah no shit... I would too.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 08:40 PM

These 2 teams just need to play for the ****ing state title every year.

There are some pretty good class 6 teams on the St. Louis side of the state. If you want west side dominance (at least over the past decade or so), look at class 4. In the last 10 years, Blue Springs and Rockhurst have combined for 5 championships. Over the same period, Webb City and Kearney have combined for 7.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
There are some pretty good class 6 teams on the St. Louis side of the state. If you want west side dominance (at least over the past decade or so), look at class 4. In the last 10 years, Blue Springs and Rockhurst have combined for 5 championships. Over the same period, Webb City and Kearney have combined for 7.

And Harrisonville, who just moved up to class 4 last year (iirc) has four class 3 championships in the decade too.

CoMoChief
11-12-2010, 09:47 PM

With the respect I have for those programs, I don't think they could compete with either BS or Rock.

CoMoChief
11-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Well shit....

Final
Rock - 7
BS - 0

Shogun
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Hutch High Salthawks alone have had 6 in the last 6 years, 5 at 6A and 1 at 5A

patteeu
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
With the respect I have for those programs, I don't think they could compete with either BS or Rock.

What does that have to do with anything? You were talking about 2 schools from the same side of the state playing for the championship each year. Those two schools have had great success, but they've still only won half of the state titles in the last 10 years. My point was not that Kearney or Webb City could beat those schools (although you never know since Kearney pretty much dominated the same Staley school that beat Blue Springs this year), but instead that they have dominated their class to a greater degree than BS/RH have.

patteeu
11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Hutch High Salthawks alone have had 6 in the last 6 years, 5 at 6A and 1 at 5A

That's awesome. Is that Kansas? I'm not familiar at all with that side of the state line.

Rams Fan
11-13-2010, 12:21 AM
There are some pretty good class 6 teams on the St. Louis side of the state.

SLUH, Fort Zumwalt West, Desmet...

patteeu
11-13-2010, 12:36 AM
SLUH, Fort Zumwalt West, Desmet...

Not to mention Hazelwood Central who've won the last two titles.

Coach
11-13-2010, 12:51 AM
That's awesome. Is that Kansas? I'm not familiar at all with that side of the state line.

Yes, it is in Kansas.

ROYC75
11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Sweet. Good to see the Bulldogs playing well.

Sorry, Paola kick your butt tonight.

Third Round
Louisburg 21 DeSoto 0
Paola 21 Baldwin 6
Buhler 21 Topeka Hayden 0
Holton vs Ulysses

# 1 Topeka Hayden lost to # 3 Buhler

Holton and Ulysses both have pretty good teams.

Louisburg has already beaten Paola once this year in Paola, it's a rematch @ Paola in the next round. Winner is heading to the State Championship game.

I was born in Paola in 1957, we lived and I grew up in Louisburg. I have a sister that lived in Paola but she and her husband both went to school in Louisburg. They are just 15 miles apart, A short drive and a BIG CROWD will be there.

ROYC75
11-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Ulysses (9-2) at Holton (9-2), 5 p.m. Guess they play today .

Next Friday’s Semifinals

Louisburg (12-0) at Paola (8-4), 7 p.m.

Buhler (12-0) vs. Ulysses (10-2)-Holton (10-2), 7 p.m.

Shogun
11-13-2010, 02:11 AM

Yep, Hutchinson, Kansas.

CoMoChief
11-13-2010, 02:18 AM

Kansas HS football is just terrible....that's all really you need to know about it.

CoMoChief
11-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Not to mention Hazelwood Central who've won the last two titles.

I'll agree, the Hazelwood schools (at least one of them) are usually good year in year out.

CoMoChief
11-13-2010, 02:22 AM
What does that have to do with anything? You were talking about 2 schools from the same side of the state playing for the championship each year. Those two schools have had great success, but they've still only won half of the state titles in the last 10 years. My point was not that Kearney or Webb City could beat those schools (although you never know since Kearney pretty much dominated the same Staley school that beat Blue Springs this year), but instead that they have dominated their class to a greater degree than BS/RH have.

So another words their like a Boise St or a TCU, playing great against horrible competition.

ROYC75
11-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Buhler beat Topeka Hayden and Topeka Hayden has beat Holton this year. So whoever comes out of Ulysses (9-2) at Holton (9-2), 5 p.m today will have to face Buhler.

I'm calling the championship game now, Louisburg wins it's 1st title vs Buhler. Buhler is enjoying their deepest playoff run ever. Louisburg has been to the playoffs and a few championships, I'm thinking 4 in the last 15 years, several times losing in the semifinals.

I didn't go in 2007 so I just may have to make a trip back home for this one! :D

Providing we don't stumble like Topeka Hayden did, 5 turnovers, just a bad game and gave Buhler very short fields to work with.

J Diddy
11-13-2010, 02:52 AM

Yep, The WC, baby!!

patteeu
11-13-2010, 06:39 AM
So another words their like a Boise St or a TCU, playing great against horrible competition.

Did you get your education, such that it is, from Rockhurst or Blue Springs?

ROYC75
11-13-2010, 01:00 PM
LHS all access pass
Sports - Louisburg
Written by Andy Brown
Wednesday, 10 November 2010 08:00
From the bright Friday night lights, to the dim flicker of a television, the Louisburg football coaches spend weeks in the fall eating, sleeping and breathing football.

Whether it’s roaming the sidelines on a chilly Friday evening or sitting on a couch in the coach’s office breaking down game film, the Wildcat coaches are surrounded by the pigskin. They have to know the formations the opposition runs, what works against the opposing defense and get their players in the right spot to be successful.

Oh, and most of them have day jobs. Many of them spend time around those same kids in the classroom, and during football, it is difficult for most of them to spend time with their own wives and children.

It is a delicate balance, but one the Louisburg coaches seem to have mastered. With decades of coaching experience between the seven Wildcat instructors, they have grown to trust, respect and even poke a little fun at each other.

But football is something a little more than just a job to them. It is more like family.

Pregame

It is nearly two hours before kickoff for the Wildcats in their regional playoff contest in Chanute on Saturday and the players are already out on the field doing their warm-up stretches and run throughs.

Each of the coaches are working with their respective groups in order to get them ready — in what they hope will be an extension to the season. Then, with about 40 minutes left, comes many of the players’ favorite part — the Whiting break down.

The players, spread out across their half of the field, put their hands together as defensive coach Wayne Whiting runs up the middle yelling and screaming. His words are loud, yet simple.

“Wildcats ready?” Whiting yells twice.

“Break it down,” Whiting screams twice more.

“Who are we?” he asks.

“Bad-ass Cats,” the players shout.

After two sets of grunting sounds from the players, they huddle together as one team with one goal — an appearance in the state tournament. When a few more drills are done, the players and coaches are off to the locker room — for what could be the final time.

Pep Talk

“No respect. They do not respect you. They think you are soft.”

Louisburg head coach Gary Griffin had to get his team fired up somehow. He needed his players to have the intensity to go up against a good team like Chanute.

Each of the assistant coaches addressed the players in the locker room before the game and gave examples of the lack of respect. The faces of the players had the look of hatred and some of them were rocking back and forth like they were ready to pop off at any second.

When it was all over, Griffin brought his Wildcats together in the center of the locker room. As they gathered around, Griffin gave them one final piece of advice.

“Make them respect you. Let them know what Wildcat football and this league is all about. We are the better team, so go out there and prove it.”

The sound of yells filled the square locker room and the Wildcats were finally ready. They were ready to end Chanute’s season and they believed in their coaches.

It showed on the field as Louisburg defeated the Blue Comets in a 56-35 shootout and it is on its way to the sectional round of the playoffs against fellow Frontier League foe, De Soto.

But before they focus on De Soto, Griffin huddles with his team on the turf field in Chanute, gripping the team’s fourth straight regional title. He tells them to enjoy the win, but to get ready, because it is not going to get any easier.

So as the lights in Chanute went out, the Wildcats and their coaches loaded up the bus for the two-hour drive home — already thinking of what’s to come on Friday.

Sunday night football

It is a little before five o’clock Sunday evening, less than 24 hours after their victory against Chanute, and the Wildcat coaches were already back to work for the next week.

Whiting, remote in hand, was busy watching Louisburg’s 28-7 victory over De Soto earlier in the season, trying to see the things they did wrong. Shortly after, coaches Kyle Littrell, Billy Neff, Larry Aylor, Jeff Lohse, Greg Darrington and Griffin joined him in the coach’s office at Louisburg High School.

“Defensively, they were really quick,” Griffin said, looking at the film. “We didn’t play very well at all.”

“That No. 84 was really quick off the edge last time,” Whiting shouted out.

“Their No. 5 was an all-American against us,” Littrell said, as he shook his head.

The Wildcat coaches showed the look of concern on their faces as if they were the ones that had been beaten by three touchdowns earlier in the season.

“Our kids might need a wake up call and let them know how close of a game this really was,” Griffin told his staff.

After a quick review of the game, the coaches split up in two groups to review De Soto’s last two playoff games against Eudora and Piper, hoping to get some sort of an advantage.

“It is a lot of fun,” Griffin said. “I don’t think any of them dread doing it. I think we all look forward to getting in and watching the next opponent and seeing what we are up against. We have a pretty good idea of what we are going to do.”

Defensive preparation

Whiting stays in the coach’s office and is joined by Littrell (linebackers and offensive line coach), Neff (defensive ends, running backs) and Aylor (defensive line), to try and come up with a game plan to stop the De Soto offense.

Aylor reclines as he charts the different formations, while Littrell and Whiting draw up new plays they see on film. Neff is busy looking through all of the current plays the Wildcats have on De Soto.

The coaches look at several of the plays, five or six different times, as the rewind button is almost worn out on the remote control.

“We are going through the plays right now that we want to walk through on Monday,” Whiting said. “We like to pick one or two plays of each formation that they like to run and we will focus on those in practice. Most teams have just five or six plays that they like to run and we will try and stop those.”

As the minutes tick away, the Louisburg coaches are becoming more and more concerned about the new plays De Soto has put into use since they last met in week five.

Trips bunch, slot weak and speed-o are some of the formations the defense coaches saw.

“See them run that,” Whiting said. “We are going to have to stay home on that one.”

“It is going to be a long week,” Neff said.

Along with the film from earlier in the season, the coaches know De Soto doesn’t want to pass. It has thrown the ball just a few times in their two games.

“This might be one of the fastest games in playoff history,” Littrell said.

After the coaches look at the De Soto offense, they take a quick gander at what plays might work on offense and they come up with several — or so they say.

“We actually draw up a lot of the offensive plays. Really, most of what you see on Friday nights comes from us right here,” Whiting joked.

The guys upstairs tend to differ.

‘The Brain Trust’

Up on the first floor, in room 108, the room remains dark with a flicker of light coming from the projection screen. There, Griffin, Lohse (wide receivers, defensive backs) and Darrington (tight ends, defensive backs) try to pick out weaknesses in the De Soto defense.

Like the coaches in the basement, they go through tape from De Soto’s wins over Eudora and Piper. They carefully analyze each snap.

“We want to see what defense they will be in on certain formations,” Griffin said. “Then we will see what plays of ours will work the best and look to go at them.”

Just as they were earlier in the season, the coaches were impressed with the speed of the De Soto defense, and also a new running back in the De Soto offense.

“I don’t remember that No. 20 being there last time we played,” Griffin stated. “He runs hard and is better than who they had back there before.”

Another hour and a half goes by before the coaches finally call it quits, but before they leave, they talk about a few defenses that might work against De Soto.

“We know a lot about defense up here and a lot of what you see on the field really comes from us,” Griffin joked.

“We are the brain trust,” Lohse added.

Final plan

It is a little after 8 o’clock when the coaches converge in the locker room. When the offense and defense is all mapped out, they discuss what will work the best.

There, on the board, are nine different formations De Soto works out of and the staff looks at what their favorite plays will be on offense. They also use some of that board to draw up a few of their own favorite plays from weaknesses they saw out of De Soto’s defense.

The coaches talk about who would be the best fit on defense and strategize for the upcoming contest.

“Our offensive line is blocking better right now than the last time we played and that will help,” Griffin said. “Alex (Gentges) and Garrett (Griffin) are running harder too.”

In the end, though, the conversation goes back to the De Soto defense — a defense that held the Wildcats to 209 yards on 50 carries.

“It will be a defensive battle,” Griffin told his staff. “They don’t do a lot of stuff to beat themselves.”

So, after it was all over, the Wildcat staff headed out the door after nearly five hours of work. They are tired, but excited about what the future holds.

They have high expectations on the staff. Louisburg, which is 11-0, is just two games away from reaching their goal of making the state championship game.

They are hoping for two more Sunday nights of watching film, two more Friday night football games and several more sleepless nights.

“Games likes this are the most pressure for me because we have already beat this team and what is it going to feel like to lose to a team you have already beaten by three touchdowns,” Griffin said. “That is stressful to me. I have slept great all year until right before the Paola game because I knew we would have a Thursday, Tuesday, Saturday schedule. I haven’t slept very good and obviously the stress is there.”

Luckily for Griffin, his staff is a like a family.

Wildcat tradition

The success of Louisburg football can be traced back to Whiting, Griffin and Aylor. Whiting and Griffin coached under the two previous staffs along with Aylor.

Whiting has spent 18 years with the program, while Griffin has served as the head coach the last nine seasons. Aylor spent time as an assistant coach in the ‘90s, before leaving and coming back for the 2007 season.

The Wildcats have not had a losing season since 1989, which was Lohse’s junior year in high school. You see, Lohse played under Griffin and Aylor during his time at LHS.

“I started in 1989, so I would think I turned it around,” Aylor joked. “It is the Aylor effect.”

Now, Lohse is in his 13th season as an assistant coach for his alma mater. Lohse isn’t the only former Wildcat on staff. Both Littrell and Neff put on the purple and white and know what it takes to be successful.

“It is nice to coach with a couple of guys that coached you,” Lohse said. “Grif and Aylor were both on staff when I played and we are a tight group. (Griffin) allows you to coach and he allows you to voice your opinion and input. It is special. With Billy, Kyle and I, wearing the purple and white, to being where we are now means a little bit more. I still bleed purple after so many years, and to have the opportunity to work with these kids, is a lot of fun.”

At the same time, family comes first for this group of coaches.

“We have had coaches in the past where they want you to eat, sleep, breathe and die with football,” Griffin said. “You can’t have a family life if you are like that. Just about every coach that I know practices on Saturday and I am not going to. We have been successful not doing it.

“I worked for a coach who didn’t care if your kids were playing soccer games, he wanted you here. I missed a lot of my kids’ stuff growing up because of doing that. Being a coach you miss a lot of stuff, but you don’t have to miss stuff like that. I think it is real important that you don’t and you have to have a real understanding wife.”

It doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot expected. These coaches are trying to lead this team to the school’s first state title and make it to their third state appearance as a staff.

“I was a part of two staffs in Iowa and now three staffs here,” Whiting said. “This is the best group of guys I have been around by far. They make things so easy.

“I have been there twice. The one time the team was a little better than us and the other time in ‘97 we should have won. I am tired of losing in the state championship game. It takes a little luck to win one, I don’t care how good you are. We are a close group, but it all comes to an end some day.”

Griffin hopes that day doesn’t come anytime soon.

“My main thing right now is I love being apart of this group of kids,” Griffin said. “I have watched them grow up. I have known (quarterback) Kody Cook since the day he was born and last year was even worse when that class left because they were the same age as my daughter. That is what I dread, is not being able to coach those kids anymore. I dread the end of football season. I think it is the worst day of my life.”

Unless, of course, it ends in a state title.

ROYC75
11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Football coaches a tight family
Sports - Louisburg
Written by Andy Brown
Wednesday, 10 November 2010 08:00
Family comes in many different forms. There is your traditional family with a husband and a wife and children, or your extended family with aunts, uncles and cousins.

But then there is your work family. It is a family where you trust everyone around you and they are there for you when times get tough. They are there for those late work nights and they are there when everything seems impossible.

The Louisburg football coaches are a family. Some have been there longer than others, but the goal is still the same. They want to win, but even more, they love to teach and they love their players.

They love the Louisburg community. Half of the staff went to high school here and returned to their roots to help coach at their alma mater. They care about what people think, but at the same time, try not to.

Pressure in football is enormous, especially in a town like Louisburg. The Wildcats have not had a losing season since 1989 and have been a regular in the playoffs.

But when Gary Griffin, Wayne Whiting, Kyle Littrell, Jeff Lohse, Billy Neff, Larry Aylor and Greg Darrington take the field every night, they are united. There is no backstabbing. No fights within the staff. They want their kids and community to succeed.

That is why they have sleepless nights. That is why they sacrifice time with their own family to stay up late and go over game film. They care about what they do and there aren’t that many staffs across the state you can say that about.

“One thing about all these coaches is we always get questions out in the community and I trust every single one of them that we have each others backs,” Griffin said. “We are not going to go bad mouth each other in public. I am sure people question the decisions we make.

“Wives don’t get enough credit for the crap they put up with. I am sure their wives hate me because I expect a lot out of them. There is no way you can do it justice without putting the time in.”

So whether the Wildcats lose on Friday, or win the state title in two weeks, just remember how lucky a town you are. Remember what they sacrificed so you can be proud of your school and your child.

Remember it, because one day, it will be gone.

ROYC75
11-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Ulysses (9-2) at Holton (9-2), 5 p.m. Guess they play today .

Next Friday’s Semifinals

Louisburg (12-0) at Paola (8-4), 7 p.m.

Buhler (12-0) vs. Ulysses (10-2)-Holton (10-2), 7 p.m.

Just 2 more wins baby, come on.

Holton won their game, they travel to Buhler while Louisburg travels to Paola for the semifinals.

OK, I'm not going to say this too many times on here, Go Wildcats (as in Louisburg Wildcats ). That was always a tough spot as a kid to be in, being Purple and White Wildcats in HS and being a Crimson & Blue Jayhawk.

|Zach|
11-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Tough game...in the rain. Very few attempted passes. Blue Springs just couldn't quite break one.

I think the only thing harder than generating offense in that rain was attempting to get shots while protecting my camera.

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/ditwnq9e/pbdqbnqixumb3gmg-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/ditwnq9e/vh03cfon9lilxaaw-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/ditwnq9e/z5n4xdlkq4ooniby-large.jpg

Saul Good
11-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Did you get your education, such that it is, from Rockhurst or Blue Springs?

Couldn't have been Rockhurst. If it was, my diploma has just gone down in value.

ROYC75
11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I hope the Chiefs don't rub off on my Louisburg Wildcat team. :shake:

Here's putting the hex on Paola for the 2nd time this year.

The more I think about that Holton - Buhler game, Holton is always a top contender in 4A. Louisburg has met them many times in route to the Semifinals.

Buhler is making the most of their 1st ever playoff run, a magical season for them, now they are home vs a dangerous Holton team that always plays a tough non conference schedule.

ROYC75
11-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Louisburg swats aside Paola, moves into state title game
Friday November 19, 2010 7:00 PM

Team (Record) 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Louisburg (9 - 0) 21 7 0 0 28
Paola (4 - 3) 0 0 0 7 7

LOUISBURG | The Paola and Louisburg marching bands shared the field before the main event Friday, offering their rendition of the national anthem as one unit.

That was it, though, when it came to common ground for the two schools.
advertisement

The Louisburg Wildcats didn’t waste any time separating themselves from the Paola Panthers once the bands cleared the field. Louisburg scored 21 points in the first quarter and rolled to a 28-7 victory over Paola in a Class 4A state semifinal at Panther Stadium.

Next stop for unbeaten Louisburg, now 13-0: Salina Stadium, the site of the state championship game, at 1 p.m. a week from today. The opponent: Holton.

So how does this feel if you bleed Louisburg purple and white?

“Insane. This is awesome,” said Louisburg senior wide receiver/defensive back David Embers. “Now I want to win state.”

Paola, 9-4, surely has seen enough of the Wildcats. This was the second time in less than a month that the Wildcats had upended the Panthers, the first beating coming on Oct. 28 by a score of 21-3 on the same field.

“I really respect them,” Paola junior tight end/linebacker Brandon Goodman said. “We knew there’d be a big crowd, we were ready, but we just didn’t play to our potential.”

Paola helped make it easy for Louisburg. The Wildcats took advantage of three turnovers in the first 14 minutes, 30 seconds, to build a cushion. Much of the damage that Paola suffered was administered by Louisburg junior running back Garrett Griffin, who recorded three first-half touchdowns. Griffin got rolling early, capping the first drive of the game with a 2-yard scoring run.

It didn’t take long for Louisburg to add to its lead. Paola’s fumble on its first series from scrimmage set the stage for a 37-yard scoring pass from quarterback Kody Cook to Griffin. Cook, who bombarded Paola with 156 yards through the air before halftime, found his rhythm right away, completing a 40-yard pass to Embers on third and 18 in the game’s opening series.

Louisburg’s final series before halftime was as successful as its first march of the night. Griffin completed it with a 5-yard scoring run with 9.4 seconds remaining, burying Paola in a deep hole. The Panthers finally got on the board when Seth Kern connected with Dustin Matz for a 23-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, but that was it for Paola.

“Games like these are all about momentum,” Griffin said. “I pretty much dreamed about this, playing for a state championship, since I was a little kid.”

When asked just how good Louisburg is, Griffin said to stay tuned.

“I guess we’ll see next week,” he said.
submitted by HOWARD RICHMAN - 2010-11-19 23:40:01
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next weeks championship game is a Wildcat victory, but for which team,Louisburg 13 - 0 or Holton 11-2 ?

kcfanXIII
11-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Lee's Summit West beat Staley last night. Hell of a game. I thought it wouldn't get any better then the LS vs LSW game, but last night topped it. With :53 seconds left, trailing by 4, the Titans faced a 3rd and 13, down around the 20. LSW scored a touchdown on the play, then held Staley on downs, securing the win for west. Heading to the state championship game next Friday, to take on some StL school. GO TITANS!!!

The gmae winning TD:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/Paul_Blatt_Photography/LSW%20at%20Staley%20state%20semi%20final/smith1.jpg

irishjayhawk
11-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Couldn't have been Rockhurst. If it was, my diploma has just gone down in value.

You went to Rockhurst?

BigRedChief
11-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Lee's Summit West beat Staley last night. Hell of a game. I thought it wouldn't get any better then the LS vs LSW game, but last night topped it. With :53 seconds left, trailing by 4, the Titans faced a 3rd and 13, down around the 20. LSW scored a touchdown on the play, then held Staley on downs, securing the win for west. Heading to the state championship game next Friday, to take on some StL school. GO TITANS!!!

The gmae winning TD:

LSW has an infrastruture/booster club in place to be successful over the long term to play with the Blue Springs and Rockhurst's of the world. I know kids including Adam Burton who have chose LSW over Rockhurst.

kcfanXIII
11-20-2010, 01:57 PM
LSW has an infrastruture/booster club in place to be successful over the long term to play with the Blue Springs and Rockhurst's of the world. I know kids including Adam Burton who have chose LSW over Rockhurst.

i've been following them for two years now, and i am really excited about going down to the dome for the state championship game. everybody i have met who is involved with the program/booster club has been as nice a person as you could meet. their coach will be considered great by the end of his career. so ya, i agree with you. i have also witnessed how they played against BSHS last year, and BSSHS this year. it wasn't pretty either time. their program just isn't big enough to compete with the class 6 schools yet.

|Zach|
11-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I shot the Blue Valley - Gardner Edgerton game last night. It was one of the best HS games I have ever seen in my life.

Going to Topeka to cover the 6A Kansas Final next week.

|Zach|
11-20-2010, 04:13 PM
http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wzb18n75/auaslztsdbndap3d-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/wzb18n75/chmggtifuxauiol3-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/wzb18n75/xxgdg7yt1ozunkkr-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/wzb18n75/gc7gcsmg0zoqpe99-large.jpg

|Zach|
11-20-2010, 04:14 PM
http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wzb18n75/6biswrmqtdkkxsar-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wzb18n75/snev63mtkmpafmul-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/wzb18n75/m6kpzc8yufac1aeg-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wzb18n75/l1eisxdx1kmpokzh-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wzb18n75/kfkhxwvyabiyphet-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/wzb18n75/zgypumx0izvkfufv-large.jpg

ROYC75
11-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Louisburg rallies past Holton for Class 4A crown
The Associated Press

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/27/2475831/louisburg-rallies-past-holton.html#ixzz16XBwMOgwSALINA, Kan. |

Louisburg overcame a 10-0 first quarter deficit against Holton to claim the Kansas Class 4A football title 24-16.

Quarterback Kody Cook threw two touchdown passes and returned an interception for a third Saturday to lead Louisburg (14-0) to its first state championship.

Garrett Griffin led Louisburg with 154 yards rushing and three receptions for 58 yards.

Holton went into halftime with a 10-7 lead. Louisburg tied the game with a field goal in the third quarter and took the lead in the fourth with a 43-yard pass from Cook to Griffin.

Louisburg scored again 74 seconds later when Cook ran an interception back 54 yards to give his team a 24-10 lead.

Brentt Donaldson led Holton (11-3) with 98 yards rushing and Drake Lovvorn ran for 89.

Posted on Sat, Nov. 27, 2010 06:36 PM

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/27/2475831/louisburg-rallies-past-holton.html#ixzz16XBYhza1

J Diddy
11-28-2010, 02:59 AM
http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x1293919798/Webb-City-celebrates-another-state-championship

ST. LOUIS — Webb City made a triumphant return to its dome away from home Saturday by defeating Warrenton 56-7 for the MSHSAA Class 4 state football championship.

Webb City fans had eagerly awaited the trip, which many consider to be a Thanksgiving weekend tradition and an opportunity to renew old friendships.

“We missed seeing everybody on Thanksgiving last year,” said George Mayes, father of Shawn Mayes, an assistant Webb City principal, before the game. “It’s nice to be back together.

“I know the kids like to see people up here. It gives them a boost, extra support.”

Several thousand Webb City fans nearly filled the lower level between the 10-yard lines in the Edward Jones Dome, where they sat facing a slightly smaller number of fans who made the trip from Warrenton, a city located on Interstate 70 about an hour west of St. Louis.

Webb City gave its fans plenty to roar about from the beginning. Senior quarterback Scott Roderique, making his first start in three weeks because of a foot injury, tossed two touchdown passes in the first quarter to senior wide receiver Austin Daniel as Webb City took a 35-0 lead.

Maddy Johnson scored three touchdowns in the first half, including a 50-yard punt return that put Webb City on top 49-0.

Through it all, Webb City celebrated. The celebrants included Gale Mahurin, who hasn’t missed a Webb City game since 1971, a streak of 470 in a row.

“He got me transferred from Carl Junction,” said Giff Barkley, Mahurin’s son-in-law, who made his fourth trip to the dome. “He converted me. We drove up this morning. This season, we’ve put well over 1,500 miles just following the team.”

T-shirts with the slogans, “There’s No Place Like Dome” and “The Boys Are Back in Town” were common as fans wore the familiar school colors of red and Columbia blue.

Webb City was designated as the home team, and the Webb City marching band played the national anthem before the game and performed again at halftime.

Webb City began the second half with its second-string offense on the field and brought the crowd to its feet when Slade Byford scored on a 39-yard run.

From there, a running clock made quick work of what was left of a game in which Webb City used its entire roster, including freshmen.

After the game, coach John Roderique said that his younger brother, Will, father of player Scott Roderique, had mentioned that they had watched the current Webb City players practice when they were in youth leagues.

The coach said his brother had asked him back then “‘What’s the best thing we can do?’ I told him the best thing he could do was instill a love for the game.”

“It’s a special group, having a nephew quarterbacking and a group of guys who have been around so long,” John Roderique said. “I’m truly blessed.”

No. 9

The title is Webb City’s ninth in 11 appearances in the state championship game. Only Jefferson City and Valle Catholic, each with 10, have won more football championships.

kcfanXIII
11-28-2010, 05:54 AM
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/Paul_Blatt_Photography/SHOW%20ME%20BOWL%202010/trophy2.jpg

patteeu
11-28-2010, 07:31 AM
http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/Paul_Blatt_Photography/SHOW%20ME%20BOWL%202010/trophy2.jpg

Nice job. Webster Groves was supposed to be an unstoppable force this year.

Phobia
11-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Nice job. Webster Groves was supposed to be an unstoppable force this year.

LSW put it on them until they quit. It was pretty shocking for everybody, I think. WG let the LSW QB run untouched 50 yards for a score. That's just nuts.

kcfanXIII
11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Phil, i was in perfect position on that play, but my battery died as he was running right at me...

BigRedChief
11-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Phil, i was in perfect position on that play, but my battery died as he was running right at me...you suck, your fired.:LOL:

BigRedChief
11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
LSW put it on them until they quit. It was pretty shocking for everybody, I think. WG let the LSW QB run untouched 50 yards for a score. That's just nuts.yeah, they got punched in the mouth in the 2nd quarter and just laid down and took a trimming the rest of the game. I'd be real embrassed as a team and as a fan.

kcfanXIII
11-28-2010, 01:14 PM
you suck, your fired.:LOL:

What about my fired?:p

BigRedChief
11-28-2010, 02:53 PM
What about my fired?:pI'd ask for a bump in pay to help pay for some spare batteries to have on hand. Phobia is rolling in the dough since taking the paper online. I was paid $5K for every Lee's Summit West football article that I wrote for Phobia. Ask for a raise.

Chiefspants
11-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I was behind Buhler, it's a shame we lost again in the semi-finals, but I have to give Coach Warner credit, he has completely reinvented Buhler's program.

ROYC75
11-30-2010, 01:02 AM
I was behind Buhler, it's a shame we lost again in the semi-finals, but I have to give Coach Warner credit, he has completely reinvented Buhler's program.

They are a young team if I recall, maybe next year ?

Louisburg has to reload again in a few key area's, mainly QB.

|Zach|
11-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Olathe North got curb stomped by Wichita Heights.

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dtaxj20g/xepuuwe4irdwfppi-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/um40aendvofazu42-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/wfcqqoucvauxczrn-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/hx4ygqrbcraorxig-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dtaxj20g/a1cyslzi7rvvhwvb-large.jpg

http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/he1xyrcevy2qo0ny-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/zm3denspnglgmlon-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/qwlczsxrbyg2anwg-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dtaxj20g/cimyat2hhkvqpqx1-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com/dtaxj20g/q0anempvopqbbihy-large.jpg
http://image.yogile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/dtaxj20g/7p0rl51bpfbxomwk-large.jpg

Phobia
11-30-2010, 09:15 AM
I'd ask for a bump in pay to help pay for some spare batteries to have on hand. Phobia is rolling in the dough since taking the paper online. I was paid $5K for every Lee's Summit West football article that I wrote for Phobia. Ask for a raise.
Hahahahahahahahahaha