11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone ever experience this before?

CoMoChief
11-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes...it sucks.

Pushead2
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Yes...it sucks.

any advice? Should I keep it wrapped for the 4-6 weeks? etc....

Mojo Jojo
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I had a strain. I went to an athletic trainer and he gave me advise using hot and cold, pain relievers and some exercises. If you are in pain or otherwise affected I would suggest doing the same.

The Pedestrian
11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
You really shouldn't wear high heels...

-----------
High heel addiction--go high or go home
Posted: 07/16/2010

Whether they're Jimmy Choos, Manolo Blahniks, or Christian Louboutins, women love high heels. But while they can add sex appeal to almost any outfit, consistently adding extra inches to your stride could change your bodies' physiology.

It's been known that keeping a limb in a shortened position for an extended period will also shorten the muscle within it. Since high heels push heels up, shortening calf muscles, researchers wondered if regularly wearing the fashionable shoes would also cause permanent changes to the muscle.

Marco Narici of Manchester Metropolitan University in the United Kingdom, and Robert Csapo of the University of Vienna, Austria teamed up to recruit women between 20 to 50 years old who regularly wore 5 cm heels for two years or more.

Using MRI, they measured the women's calf muscles, and compared their findings to a group of women who prefer to wear flat shoes. The result: no difference. But when the researchers went on to measure the length of the muscle fiber with ultrasound, they found they were 13 percent shorter in the high heel wearers.

Wanting to know if the shortened muscle fiber makes it more difficult for high heel addicts to walk, the researchers examined the MRIs. They discovered while the Achilles' tendon is same length for both high heel and flat shoe wearers, it's much thicker and stiffer in the former. The change in the tendon helped compensate for the shortened muscle fibers in the calves, allowing the muscle to function normally while they walked. This in turn caused regular high heel wearers to feel discomfort when walking on flat feet.

So do you have to throw away all those pairs of stilettos? Not quite yet, but Narici says you may want to try stretching a little when you kick off your heels at the end of the day.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press.

BigVE
11-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes, pulled my calf muscle on each leg at different times. OUCH! The main thing I remember is that it took a long time to heal...Doc recommended NOT stretching it out since it really needs to heal and over stretching may re-tear small fibers in the muscle thus slowing the healing process. Lots of ibuprofen/tylenol (combined is ok).

First time it happened to me I was playing softball and was running backwards...it felt like someone had thrown a ball and hit me in the calf. When I went to walk it was pure pain and a dead leg. I actually played one more inning and had to BAT that inning. I actually hit the ball well and hobbled down to 1st base. Thank goodness the game was over after that. A year later I was playing flag football and the same thing happened to the other leg but this time I new right away what had happened and just hobbled straight to my truck and left right in the middle of the game. Sucked.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Did mine 2 years ago playing softball; didn't do anything about it for 2 weeks thinking it was a strain, but after 2 weeks of my foot being purple and swollen from all the blood draining out of my calf I finally went to the Dr. He put me in a walking boot for 3 weeks to keep the muscle stationary. Every time you take a step in creates micro tears and prevent it from healing properly. It took almost 3 months for it to completely heal.

BigVE
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Did mine 2 years ago playing softball; didn't do anything about it for 2 weeks thinking it was a strain, but after 2 weeks of my foot being purple and swollen from all the blood draining out of my calf I finally went to the Dr. He put me in a walking boot for 3 weeks to keep the muscle stationary. Every time you take a step in creates micro tears and prevent it from healing properly. It took almost 3 months for it to completely heal.

Interesting. I had a friend have this happen to him and he was on crutches for 2 months at least, maybe longer. My doc didn't even suggest a walking boot for me. Yea, my calf was about 30% bigger than the other one and nasty purpley looking all the way down to my ankle and foot. Couldn't flex my calf muscle for probably 8 months actually. Very long process.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
11-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Interesting. I had a friend have this happen to him and he was on crutches for 2 months at least, maybe longer. My doc didn't even suggest a walking boot for me. Yea, my calf was about 30% bigger than the other one and nasty purpley looking all the way down to my ankle and foot. Couldn't flex my calf muscle for probably 8 months actually. Very long process.

Sounds like your friend had a lot worse tear than I did. I don't think mine was all that severe in comparison. Bad enough for sure though.

Bwana
11-12-2010, 06:08 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_2304287_treat-strained-calf-muscle.html

Pushead2
11-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Yeah I just have some bruising right at the calf but nothing else.... I'm guessing mine isn't as a severe....it just sucks that it's a injury that takes a few months to recover from.

YayMike
11-13-2010, 06:55 AM
I hurt strained mine Thursday night playing soccer to the point I cannot walk. I was told to basically stay off it for a week and re-evaluate it then. As mentioned they were concerned about bloodflow because of the excessive swelling. However they did say to try to resume light activities in a week to see how it responds once the tighness feeling goes away. A combo of pain killers and rest and It should be fine in a few weeks. Last time I messed my calf up I was only out of commission 3 weeks . Caution just don't rush yourself let your leg tell you when it's time to take the next step

Hog Farmer
11-13-2010, 08:11 AM
One of my boars strained a calf muscle so I had to shoot him.