PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto 1911 Firearm owners

Bane
11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
So I'm in the market for a 1911.I know some of the history with the 1911 and have been looking at them for some time now,and just need some input.I definitely will be getting the .45 model as I see no need for a 9mm or any other caliber version of the gun as I have several 9's,40's and a few magnums.

I like the Kimber custom stainless 2 model best of all so far but haven't ruled out any specific brand.I'm a loyal Ruger owner but alas,they don't currently make a 1911.I also like the Springfield,Colt and Taurus models of the 1911,but I know very few people who own any of them.

Discuss.

Bane
11-15-2010, 08:29 AM
No one?

Radar Chief
11-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Of those listed I like Colt.
Don’t be afraid of the 1991A1 either, that’s what mine actually is.
My dad bought a Springfield 1911 and eventually put a competition trigger group in it because the stock trigger pull was so notching it was next to impossible to get any accuracy out of it. The competition trigger solved that issue but I never had that problem with my Colt.
Thing about the 1911 is that it’s rough on ammo because it picks the bullet up from the magazine forcing it up at an angle before shoving it into the barrel. You can have it “raced” to smooth out the transition into the barrel, or do the work yourself just go slow and don’t remove too much material.
Welder Buddy has a Charles Daly that comes with the “race” treatment already done.
I’ve read very good things about the Kimber but have never handled one myself.
Doesn’t Sig Sauer make a 1911?

Bane
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Of those listed I like Colt.
Donít be afraid of the 1991A1 either, thatís what mine actually is.
My dad bought a Springfield 1911 and eventually put a competition trigger group in it because the stock trigger pull was so notching it was next to impossible to get any accuracy out of it. The competition trigger solved that issue but I never had that problem with my Colt.
Thing about the 1911 is that itís rough on ammo because it picks the bullet up from the magazine forcing it up at an angle before shoving it into the barrel. You can have it ďracedĒ to smooth out the transition into the barrel, or do the work yourself just go slow and donít remove too much material.
Welder Buddy has a Charles Daly that comes with the ďraceĒ treatment already done.
Iíve read very good things about the Kimber but have never handled one myself.
Doesnít Sig Sauer make a 1911?
Yeah I've only found good stuff on the Kimber and yes Sig makes them as well,but I don't know anyone that owns one.

HonestChieffan
11-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Kimber is a great gun

Bane
11-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Honestly I'd prefer to buy American but I haven't ruled out a brand.I heard rumors about Ruger putting out a limited edition model next year but I'm not sure I want to buy a "test" model even if the Ruger will be way less $$ (which I do expect) than other models.I figure I'm only going to get 1 maybe 2 1911's my whole life so I definitely want to get the right one for me the first time.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 09:00 AM
My only problem with the true 1911 styles is the limitation on magazine size.

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Yes,but with a single stacked .45 how many rounds do you truly expect? I mean I love the 17 round double stacked mags in my SR9 but style wise the 1911 is a way more eye pleasing firearm IMO.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Yes,but with a single stacked .45 how many rounds do you truly expect? I mean I love the 17 round double stacked mags in my SR9 but style wise,the 1911 is a way more eye pleasing firearm IMO.

I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just talking from a defensive functionality standpoint.

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just talking from a defensive functionality standpoint.

I agree 100%.Would be nice to somehow get 10 rounds in.
:edit:
Honestly though,if I had one I'm not sure I'd grab it first in a home protection case.I've been on both sides of the 8 rounds of .45 vs 15/17 rounds of 9mm for home protection argument and I can say I think I would grab my 9mm first because of the amount of ammo it holds.

2bikemike
11-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I love it. It shoots extremely well. It wasn't cheap since it comes from their custom shop. But IMHO they make very good firearms.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree 100%.Would be nice to somehow get 10 rounds in.
:edit:
Honestly though,if I had one I'm not sure I'd grab it first in a home protection case.I've been on both sides of the 8 rounds of .45 vs 15/17 rounds of 9mm for home protection argument and I can say I think I would grab my 9mm first because of the amount of ammo it holds.

I have a 30 round AR now, so it's sort of a moot point. :bang:

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:16 AM
I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I love it. It shoots extremely well. It wasn't cheap since it comes from their custom shop. But IMHO they make very good firearms.

Yeah the Kimber I'm looking at is right at $1000,which isn't high end Kimber by any means,but it's what I like so far.

Brock
11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
I have an old Colt. Don't know much about it, because the serials were filed off. It's a kick ass gun, though.

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:18 AM

Yeah no shit.ROFLI have been looking into those as well,but I want to buy a few more hand guns before working on my rifle arsenal.I actually like the Ruger SR556 in a .223.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah no shit.ROFLI have been looking into those as well,but I want to buy a few more hand guns before working on my rifle arsenal.I actually like the Ruger SR556 in a .223.

My thought on that is if you already have several handguns, why not get the rifle next?

You need to expand your horizons. :)

Radar Chief
11-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Thatís because you need the extra rounds to take down the same guy a .45 will drop with one shot. ;)

2bikemike
11-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Yeah the Kimber I'm looking at is right at $1000,which isn't high end Kimber by any means,but it's what I like so far.

If you have a range that rents firearms nearby you should see if they have a couple different 1911's to try. I shot the Kimber Raptor and found it to be a nice pistol. I ended up with the CDP because it is a better CCW weapon.

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:23 AM
My thought on that is if you already have several handguns, why not get the rifle next?

You need to expand your horizons. :)

Well I have a 30/06,and a 30-30 as well as a few shotguns,I'm just in a hand gun craze lately.

KCHawg
11-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Damn refrigerators don't stand a chance, do they? :D

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:25 AM
If you have a range that rents firearms nearby you should see if they have a couple different 1911's to try. I shot the Kimber Raptor and found it to be a nice pistol. I ended up with the CDP because it is a better CCW weapon.

Yeah there's one close by,but I definitely wont be getting CCW model.I have a SR9 and a SR9c for that.I want a big ass monster .45.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Neither do the ones across the street. :evil:

Radar Chief
11-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Knowing Frazod there are probably more recalcitrant appliances about.
Never know when the stove or clothes drier is going to get all uppity.

KCHawg
11-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Knowing Frazod there are probably more recalcitrant appliances about.
Never know when the stove or clothes drier is going to get all uppity.

And don't even get him started on that fuckin furnace....,.

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Thatís because you need the extra rounds to take down the same guy a .45 will drop with one shot. ;)

Yeah I've heard the whole hit them with a claw hammer vs hitting them with a sledge hammer comparison between the 9mm and .45.I have a Ruger P90,and it's fine but I think it's time I got a 1911.Besides it's not for home protection for me,but I do plan on shooting it quite often.

Radar Chief
11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah I've heard the whole hit them with a claw hammer vs hitting them with a sledge hammer comparison between the 9mm and .45.I have a Ruger P90,and it's fine but I think it's time I got a 1911.Besides it's not for home protection for me,but I do plan on shooting it quite often.

I work with cops so Iíve heard tons of stories about some 350 lb shaved ape all jacked up on meth walking right through a couple of 9mm rounds. No such issue with the .45 ACP. Put one of those in their torso and even if it doesnít kill them it will put enough shock on them that theyíll sit down and not want any more. But the .45 ACP was designed from the beginning as a man stopper, so it does that very well.

Bane
11-15-2010, 09:41 AM
I work with cops so Iíve heard tons of stories about some 350 lb shaved ape all jacked up on meth walking right through a couple of 9mm rounds. No such issue with the .45 ACP. Put one of those in their torso and even if it doesnít kill them it will put enough shock on them that theyíll sit down and not want any more. But the .45 ACP was designed from the beginning as a man stopper, so it does that very well.

Definitely,but like I said before of all of the guns I have I doubt the 1911 would be the one I grab in that case.Not saying that it wouldn't do the job,obviously it would,but for me it wont be about home protection.If anything it's like my Desert Eagle,an added luxury that may not have a real world application for me.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Hardly. I'm approaching this from a home invasion standpoint, not bulleyes on the pistol range.

TrebMaxx
11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
I have a Springfield GI 1911. Very basic 1911 but it has performed well for me. I also have a Para PXT Hi Cap in .45 that holds 14 + 1. You should check out some of the Para's, very nice pistols. http://www.paraord.com/new/product.php

Bane
11-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I have a Springfield GI 1911. Very basic 1911 but it has performed well for me. I also have a Para PXT Hi Cap in .45 that holds 14 + 1. You should check out some of the Para's, very nice pistols. http://www.paraord.com/new/product.php

I have checked out the Paras,I just forgot to mention them to be honest.Yeah they all look nice to me,but then again a 1911 is not an entry level hand gun so they should all be very nice.The Magnum Research 1911 is also a very nice looking gun,but I haven't been able to handle one yet.

Bane
11-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Hardly. I'm approaching this from a home invasion standpoint, not bulleyes on the pistol range.

I hope I never have to use one for that,but to protect my family I will.What kind of rounds do you keep for home invasion/protection vs what you use at the range?

jd1020
11-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Glock 19 is all I have to say about this.

Bane
11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Glock 19 is all I have to say about this.

With all due respect I have absolutely no need or use for a Glock.Personal preference is what it is and I have owned one in the past and never again.

jd1020
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
With all due respect I have absolutely no need or use for a Glock.Personal preference is what it is and I have owned one in the past and never again.

To each his own. I just love that gun too much to think about buying any other hand gun. Besides... its a 9mm anyway.

Bane
11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
To each his own. I just love that gun too much to think about buying any other hand gun. Besides... its a 9mm anyway.

I have 4 9mm's already and am looking for a new .45 which is why I'm looking at the 1911.It's not that I don't like the striker fired CCW style guns,but I have several already and want something that's new to me.

Jenson71
11-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes,but with a single stacked .45 how many rounds do you truly expect? I mean I love the 17 round double stacked mags in my SR9 but style wise the 1911 is a way more eye pleasing firearm IMO.

You gotta put your mindset into the shoes of the felon. Would that felon want to be killed by something that looks badass, or would it want to be killed by something that looks like a Badgirl Barbie accessory?

Go with the Badgirl Barbie gun. Humiliation is a key component to a successful kill.

Bane
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
You gotta put your mindset into the shoes of the felon. Would that felon want to be killed by something that looks badass, or would it want to be killed by something that looks like a Badgirl Barbie accessory?

Go with the Badgirl Barbie gun. Humiliation is a key component to a successful kill.

i guess maybe my point was that the new CCW models are very slick and clean looking,but I want a full featured .45 with some jazz to it.You know,a traditional single action only long slide .45.Ahhhh.Sounds good to my ears.

Frazod
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I hope I never have to use one for that,but to protect my family I will.What kind of rounds do you keep for home invasion/protection vs what you use at the range?

At home I use the Glasers. They do make them for the AR, but I haven't picked any up yet.

Bane
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
At home I use the Glasers. They do make them for the AR, but I haven't picked any up yet.

Have you fired any tracer rounds through it yet?

Frazod
11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Have you fired any tracer rounds through it yet?

I haven't fired anything through it yet. There aren't any rifle ranges close to me, and I'll be damned if the first time I shoot an AR it's in some shitty pistol range. I was supposed to go back to Missouri a couple of weeks ago and go out in the woods shooting with my cousin, but I came down with fucking bronchitis and had to cancel.

Over Thanksgiving we're going with the in-laws to some resort up in bumblefuck Wisconsin, and there's a public rifle range about 10 miles away. If the weather doesn't suck hopefully I'll get some time in with it then.

But still :cuss:

DJ's left nut
11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Without sending you too far afield, I shot a Beretta 96a1 awhile back and think it's the finest shooting gun I've ever shot.

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/gunlarge/92A16.jpg

Unlike the model 92 (9mm), the 96 fires .40 S&W rounds, so it'll stop what it hits. You also have a 12 round mag, so you get a few more shots if you need 'em.

Bane
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I haven't fired anything through it yet. There aren't any rifle ranges close to me, and I'll be damned if the first time I shoot an AR it's in some shitty pistol range. I was supposed to go back to Missouri a couple of weeks ago and go out in the woods shooting with my cousin, but I came down with ****ing bronchitis and had to cancel.

Over Thanksgiving we're going with the in-laws to some resort up in bumble**** Wisconsin, and there's a public rifle range about 10 miles away. If the weather doesn't suck hopefully I'll get some time in with it then.

But still :cuss:

Good luck with it.A buddy of mine has one and he had a video of him shooting full propane tanks with tracer rounds!:eek::eek: Yeah EPIC.

Without sending you too far afield, I shot a Beretta 96a1 awhile back and think it's the finest shooting gun I've ever shot.

http://www.berettausa.com/assets/item/gunlarge/92A16.jpg

Unlike the model 92 (9mm), the 96 fires .40 S&W rounds, so it'll stop what it hits. You also have a 12 round mag, so you get a few more shots if you need 'em.

I just bought my wife a Taurus model PT 92 9mm and she loves it.17 round mags and looks very similar to the Beretta.

DJ's left nut
11-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I just bought my wife a Taurus model PT 92 9mm and she loves it.17 round mags and looks very similar to the Beretta.

It is a Beretta.

Taurus purchased the plans from Beretta and makes a virtual replica of the 92F. They don't have chrome-line barrels and they put the safety in a different spot, but that's it.

It's essentially a cheaper, Brazillian version of the Beretta that doesn't have the same quality control (so they aren't quite as reliable), but they're still a nice shooting gun.

Bane
11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
It is a Beretta.

Taurus purchased the plans from Beretta and makes a virtual replica of the 92F. They don't have chrome-line barrels and they put the safety in a different spot, but that's it.

It's essentially a cheaper, Brazillian version of the Beretta that doesn't have the same quality control (so they aren't quite as reliable), but they're still a nice shooting gun.

Yeah I did a little research after getting it.It works for her just fine.I actually like the model 100's,but I'm not really in the market for one.

Hog Farmer
11-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Bane, I have 3 Model 1911's

1911 Colt
1911 Kimber Custom II
1911 Kimber Ultra Carry II

I would suggest going with the ful size Custom Carry II. Mine are black, I don't like the flashy stainless stuff. With a Kimber I promise you will be happy!

Bane
11-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Bane, I have 3 Model 1911's

1911 Colt
1911 Kimber Custom II
1911 Kimber Ultra Carry II

I would suggest going with the ful size Custom Carry II. Mine are black, I don't like the flashy stainless stuff. With a Kimber I promise you will be happy!

Cool thanks.I definitely plan on getting the full size model,as I already have several for CCW.

crazycoffey
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM

you got this for your P90?
http://www.germanguns.de/export/magazin/magazine/pruger/ruger90_25_tr.jpg

Bane
11-16-2010, 09:55 AM
No I don't have one of those but that would be bad ass!
Posted via Mobile Device

crazycoffey
11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Kimber and Colt 1911s, are good from what I hear too, just to echo hog farmer. I think the beretta is over rated, imo. not that it's BAD, just not what I'm going to go buy, ever.

Bane
11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
There's a range close by that rents and first chance I get I'm going to definitely going to handle every model I'm interested in.
Posted via Mobile Device

crazycoffey
11-16-2010, 11:14 AM
There's a range close by that rents and first chance I get I'm going to definitely going to handle every model I'm interested in.
Posted via Mobile Device

mmm, rule 34....

Bane
11-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Ok I plan on firing several rounds of ammunition with the firearms that interest me before I choose which one I will purchase.
Posted via Mobile Device

salame
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
is there an all encompassing handgun thread on here somewhere? I have a few questions on the subject.

Norman Einstein
11-18-2010, 08:13 PM
The only .45's I shot have been the military issue and a sig. I couldn't hit shit with them. The 9mm and the .40 I did fine with.

salame
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
well I'll just ask my question here...
I am very new to the handgun world
I have shot a .38 special once before just 6 rounds
Today I went to the range and shot a taurus pt92
Now I am hooked
The guy at the range recommended a pt111 for me because I have hands like the guy in the BK commercial lol....
Does anyone have any experience with either the glock 26 or taurus pt111 anyone know a local place to shop for best prices on these guns new/used
thank you

Dallas Chief
11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I owned this Sig for a while. It was fun to shoot. Sold it to a buddy though to get a new AR. :D

jd1020
11-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Now I am hooked
The guy at the range recommended a pt111 for me because I have hands like the guy in the BK commercial lol....
Does anyone have any experience with either the glock 26 or taurus pt111 anyone know a local place to shop for best prices on these guns new/used
thank you

I dont have any experience shooting a glock 26 but I ended up getting its bigger brother the glock 19. The 26's grip was just way to small and the 10 round mag was just pathetic for a 9mm, but then again it is a subcompact gun.

Dallas Chief
11-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Father-in-law recently upgraded from a Kimber to a custom Wilson Combat similar to this one. Only about $3500...:eek:

Norman Einstein
11-18-2010, 08:44 PM
I owned this Sig for a while. It was fun to shoot. Sold it to a buddy though to get a new AR. :D

The Sig I had was a perfect fit for my hand. Tried a Baretta for a while and is just didn't do it for me.

jd1020
11-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Now I am hooked
thank you

FYI. There is a guy on youtube named "hickok45" and he has 280+ videos of guns/gun reviews. He's pretty big on the glocks.

salame
11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
FYI. There is a guy on youtube named "hickok45" and he has 280+ videos of guns/gun reviews. He's pretty big on the glocks.

I have read a lot of good things about the Taurus and a lot of bad things
I am as green as it comes when it comes to this stuff so I don't want to drop a shit ton of money BUT I don't want a shitty firearm either. If it jams and fucks up it wont be much fun.

BIG K
11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
So I'm in the market for a new handgun.I know some of the history with the 1911 and have been looking at them for some time now,and just need some input.I definitely will be getting the .45 model as I see no need for a 9mm or any other caliber version of the gun as I have several 9's,40's and a few magnums.

I like the Kimber custom stainless 2 model best of all so far but haven't ruled out any specific brand.I'm a loyal Ruger owner but alas,they don't currently make a 1911.I also like the Springfield,Colt and Taurus models of the 1911,but I know very few people who own any of them.

Discuss.

Without reading all the posts, I carried a Sig .45 on duty for 12 years. I opted for the .45 for the stopping power since I hit my targets 100% of the time. (I qualified as a Master Shot for the entire 12 years) Basically however, of all the weapons our Sheriff's department allowed us to carry, the Sig was the best fit for my hand. And that, I believe is what it comes down to. You have to be comfortable with what you shoot. Accuracy is absolutely more important than capacity.....Though I will always believe in big heavier bullets, but thats me.......

2bikemike
11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Father-in-law recently upgraded from a Kimber to a custom Wilson Combat similar to this one. Only about $3500...:eek:

Yeah Wilson Combat puts together very very fine firearms. I probably spend more than a lot of folks to get a gun but I ain't spending that much. Now if someone wanted to give me one for Christmas I would cherish it greatly.

rockymtnchief
11-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I have read a lot of good things about the Taurus and a lot of bad things
I am as green as it comes when it comes to this stuff so I don't want to drop a shit ton of money BUT I don't want a shitty firearm either. If it jams and fucks up it wont be much fun.

Taurus has upped their products over the years. I've shot more than a few of them with good luck, including the PT92. Right now I use a Taurus 745 for CCW from time to time and have been happy with it.

Of course there's much nicer handguns out there. It depends on what you want to spend.

salame
11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Taurus has upped their products over the years. I've shot more than a few of them with good luck, including the PT92. Right now I use a Taurus 745 for CCW from time to time and have been happy with it.

Of course there's much nicer handguns out there. It depends on what you want to spend.

yeah the pt111 seems like the perfect ccw
the pt92 was a little big for something like that but the pt92 was soooo simple to take a part I didn't try to take apart the pt111 I'm going to shoot it next time I go

crazycoffey
11-19-2010, 12:46 AM

a lot of thugs are....

sig is the Cadillac IMO, H&K close first or second; but you can find good shoots without those prices. Beretta is totally over rated, again, in my opinion; S&W is usually good, kimber good for lower prices. ACP 45 is a great round, but I hate the fight about a 45 puts someone down where a 40 or 9mm doesn't. Black talon 9mm will put hurt on someone similar to ball 45.

Hell, if you really care about home defense, just buy a 12 gauge, regardless of name brand and fill it with double or triple O buck, you'll kill any dumb motherfucker that breaks into your home. And the sound will run off any of his dumb shit friends, if he has any with him anyway.

CrazyPhuD
11-19-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm a big 1911 fan because I love most of the triggers I've shot with them. SA > DA. Another vote for Kimber being nice, personally I have big hand so when I get my next 1911 it's probably going to be a para double stack.

But then again I tend not to buy full guns much anymore I have more fun building them. The para will like come after I finish my current AR build.

jd1020
11-19-2010, 06:15 AM
a lot of thugs are....

My bad. I forgot those aging volunteer police man were rollin up in the crips hood with their bloods gear packin glocks.

Otter
11-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Without reading all the posts, I carried a Sig .45 on duty for 12 years. I opted for the .45 for the stopping power since I hit my targets 100% of the time. (I qualified as a Master Shot for the entire 12 years) Basically however, of all the weapons our Sheriff's department allowed us to carry, the Sig was the best fit for my hand. And that, I believe is what it comes down to. You have to be comfortable with what you shoot. Accuracy is absolutely more important than capacity.....Though I will always believe in big heavier bullets, but thats me.......

There's a Cor Bon 9mm round you should do a little research on. The specific round can be found here:

http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defense-JHP/9mm-Luger-Plus-P-115gr-CORand65533BON-Self-Defense-JHP/SD09115-20/100/Product

Because of this round I now CCW a 9mm Walther p99c AS. I'm not looking to get into the 9mm vs 40 vs 45 cal argument, just sharing some information that may be helpful in choosing a lower profile self defense CCW.

verbaljitsu
11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I think the best combination of price and quality in a 1911 right now is coming out of Dan Wesson. Dan Wesson will be more expensive than most Springfield and Colt models, but you are getting Wilson Combat and Ed Brown quality for about half the price tag. Many DW models run about $1500.

Of the models you listed, it depends on what you want. It is hard to compare apples to apples because Springfield and Kimber each have so many models. Dollar for dollar, I would probably take Springfield over Kimber. Colts are also nice, but they generally lack features that I like (better sights, beavertail, wide safety).

Kimber makes cool pistols, but there have been many reports of quality control issues lately, and in general they use lower quality parts than Springfield or Colt. Many gunsmiths will not use Kimbers as a base to make a custom gun.

However, you could go in an entirely different direction. I own a Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 that is my favorite gun. It cost me $400 brand new.

verbaljitsu
11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Also, Chip McCormick makes 10 round magazines for 1911's. I own a couple and they work well.

I believe Wilson also makes a 10 rounder now.

DJ's left nut
11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
a lot of thugs are....

sig is the Cadillac IMO, H&K close first or second; but you can find good shoots without those prices. Beretta is totally over rated, again, in my opinion; S&W is usually good, kimber good for lower prices. ACP 45 is a great round, but I hate the fight about a 45 puts someone down where a 40 or 9mm doesn't. Black talon 9mm will put hurt on someone similar to ball 45.

Hell, if you really care about home defense, just buy a 12 gauge, regardless of name brand and fill it with double or triple O buck, you'll kill any dumb mother****er that breaks into your home. And the sound will run off any of his dumb shit friends, if he has any with him anyway.

And now you know what you'll be looking down the barrel of if you ever walk into my house.

I'm not missing with my 12 gauge and I can think of few sounds in the world more recognizable or intimidating than chambering a round in that sucker.

C'mon in, fellas. But if you're coming in here with your Glock 9...well you'd better make sure your first round is a kill-shot.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-19-2010, 11:10 AM
And now you know what you'll be looking down the barrel of if you ever walk into my house.

I'm not missing with my 12 gauge and I can think of few sounds in the world more recognizable or intimidating than chambering a round in that sucker.

C'mon in, fellas. But if you're coming in here with your Glock 9...well you'd better make sure your first round is a kill-shot.
I bet you have one of these.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsV50T5uEyw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsV50T5uEyw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DJ's left nut
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I bet you have one of these.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsV50T5uEyw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsV50T5uEyw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

No I do not.

Yet.

Bane
11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I found the one I like best of all today.It's a Springfield 1911 A 1 long slide .45 for $925.I have a pic of it but I'll have to upload it later.They had a really sweet Taurus 1911 in 9mm but I don't really see the point seeing that I have 5 9mm's already.Again guys this gun isn't for home defense,even though it will do the job,I have several other firearms just for that and for CCW.
Posted via Mobile Device

B2chiefsfan
11-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I carry a Springfield XDM .45 on duty along with my issued Glock 22 (.40) as backup. Both are great, reliable, tough and accurate... very affordable ($600 range)

Bane
11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I found this today and I just about have my mind made up.My only reservation is that you have to have a allen wrench to take down (field strip) it and I prefer the tool free take down firearms.

Bane
11-19-2010, 03:04 PM
I carry a Springfield XDM .45 on duty along with my issued Glock 22 (.40) as backup. Both are great, reliable, tough and accurate... very affordable ($600 range)

Sounds great if I was looking for anything other than a 1911.

frankotank
11-19-2010, 03:10 PM
so I'm curious, you have a variety of firearms already. do you have your CCW? what do you carry?

Bane
11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
so I'm curious, you have a variety of firearms already. do you have your CCW? what do you carry?

Yes I do and I carry my Ruger SR9,or my Ruger P345 as a CCW.

frankotank
11-19-2010, 03:15 PM
the size doesn't get on your nerves?

Bane
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
the size doesn't get on your nerves?

I hardly even notice the SR9 but the P345 is more noticeable of course.

frankotank
11-19-2010, 03:30 PM
well I was wondering if you might be thinking of carrying the 1911. I guess you don't need to with what you have. I went thru several before settling on my carry.

Bane
11-19-2010, 03:48 PM
well I was wondering if you might be thinking of carrying the 1911. I guess you don't need to with what you have. I went thru several before settling on my carry.

No I won't be carrying it,well not for CCW purposes anyway.

salame
11-19-2010, 07:39 PM
I think I am going tuesday to shoot a glock 26 and a taurus pt111 I want one of them for my ccw

LiveSteam
11-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Scary isn't it ?

Dunit35
11-21-2010, 12:42 PM
How much is a ruger p95 worth? Great condition, couple years old. I'm falling in love with some glock 22 .40 that I've been dreaming of. Id like to sell mine privately or to a business. The glocks used are ranging 400-420.

Bane
11-21-2010, 01:35 PM
How much is a ruger p95 worth? Great condition, couple years old. I'm falling in love with some glock 22 .40 that I've been dreaming of. Id like to sell mine privately or to a business. The glocks used are ranging 400-420.

I see them brand new for $325 or so around here.You can find them online for $299 and usually they'll have a $25 fee or so to send it to a licensed dealer.I have 2 and love them.Great gun and very reliable.Hell I still have a Ruger P89 that Ive had for 10+years and it shoots good as new. As far as Glock goes,I'm sure you will be happy.Very nice firearm,but not for me at all.Good luck.

frankotank
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
You guys are into carrying big guns. Yeah I know 9mm isn’t really that big, but compared to some guns, it’s pretty big. I have a Kel Tec P32. Don’t laugh. Bought the extended mag so it holds 10 +1 and if you can get ahold of Winchester Silvertip ammo the stopping power jumps dramatically (as much as 60% depending on what site you’re reading). Very accurate gun. If you can shoot, you can easily put the whole clip in body mass at 30 yards, especially with the extended clip which allows better control. Has a metal clip attached so no holster needed. I could have it on me in nothing but a t-shirt and underwear and you couldn’t tell. It’s always with me and never bothers me, I really can’t tell it’s there. To each his own I reckon. I think folks downplay the smaller caliber guns, but depending on the ammo you use, they aren’t too shabby.

MOhillbilly
11-22-2010, 10:36 AM
i dont carry a handgun anymore but when i did i never considered caliber to be an issue as much as comfrort,shot placement, and kill instinct.
never think in terms of gunfights.

frankotank
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
yeah but the ultimate worst case scenario IS a gunfight! God forbid. I guess it's possible if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be in that situation that I may wish for more power, but I doubt it. I really believe I'd hit the target multliple times, and more than once should be enough.

MOhillbilly
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
gunfights are what tactical rifles and shotguns are made for.

frankotank
11-22-2010, 12:49 PM
ha ha. yeah if you actually planned to light someone up, you wouldn't choose a P32 that's for sure. but seriously, why do you have a CCW.....just in case. there's a 99.99 % probablility that you'll never even come close to drawing it, so now we're back to comfort 'cause if you ain't gonna carry it all the time every time then why carry at all. I have two friends (one a cop) that swear by Springfield XD. so while they sit there twisting and turning trying to find a comfortable way to sit (and not ever drawing), I'm over here quite comfortable. I'll bet I'm just as accurate at 30 yards as they are too. I march to the beat of my own drummer!

MOhillbilly
11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
always plan to light them up.

jd1020
11-22-2010, 12:54 PM
ha ha. yeah if you actually planned to light someone up, you wouldn't choose a P32 that's for sure. but seriously, why do you have a CCW.....just in case. there's a 99.99 % probablility that you'll never even come close to drawing it, so now we're back to comfort 'cause if you ain't gonna carry it all the time every time then why carry at all. I have two friends (one a cop) that swear by Springfield XD. so while they sit there twisting and turning trying to find a comfortable way to sit (and not ever drawing), I'm over here quite comfortable. I'll bet I'm just as accurate at 30 yards as they are too. I march to the beat of my own drummer!

I'll never understand why people feel the need to carry. If anything its just going to get you into more shit than you would be without it and I'm not talking about shit with the law. I just have a gun because I like to shoot at targets for a sport and as home protection. Thiefs sometimes dont respect an alarm but they all respect the gun.

Groves
11-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I'll never understand why people never understand why people feel the need to carry.

DJ's left nut
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I'll never understand why people feel the need to carry. If anything its just going to get you into more shit than you would be without it and I'm not talking about shit with the law. I just have a gun because I like to shoot at targets for a sport and as home protection. Thiefs sometimes dont respect an alarm but they all respect the gun.

Ask violent criminals in jurisdictions where this legislation has been adopted.

There is a nearly universal drop in violent crime rates in jurisdictions that adopt CCW legislation.

Even if you choose not to carry, the right to do so carries significant weight amongst those that would seek to harm you.

jd1020
11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I'll never understand why people never understand why people feel the need to carry.

Why? Do you frequently find yourself in gang neighborhoods? Do you do alot of drug deals? Or are you just one of those "I want to be a cop so I'm going to carry for that off chance something goes down when I'm there" type people.

LiveSteam
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Several killings & muggings have happened at cash boxes at night time hear in Omaha in the last 5 years. I have no probs with peeps carrying. Its really a different world than the world I grew up in. In the 1970s.
We had a guy in a store last year carrying a small 40.
2 Black kids with sawed off shotguns came into the grocery store to rob it.
The man with the 40 killed 1 & held the other at gun point. The female store clerk said on the news. " That dead guy was going to shot me. But that nice man over there KILLED HIM before he had a chance to shot me.

frankotank
11-22-2010, 01:31 PM
hey don't carry then. it ALWAYS happens to someone else.....right? wake up...

KCHawg
11-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Why? Do you frequently find yourself in gang neighborhoods? Do you do alot of drug deals? Or are you just one of those "I want to be a cop so I'm going to carry for that off chance something goes down when I'm there" type people.

I suppose bad shit only happens in bad neighborhoods or during drug deals?

:rolleyes:

I would carry a cop, but they are to heavy and bulky....

Remember, when seconds count...the police are only minutes away!

frankotank
11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I live in a small town on a dead end road. Prime territory for a robbery/rape/killing. Someone shot a little old lady two weeks ago and killed her. I have a 130 pound bullmastiff and a firearm on every floor of the house. I have two high school aged kids that know where they are and how to use them. Some folks think thatís stupid. Some folks are stupid.

jd1020
11-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I suppose bad shit only happens in bad neighborhoods or during drug deals?

:rolleyes:

I would carry a cop, but they are to heavy and bulky....

Remember, when seconds count...the police are only minutes away!

I'm not saying that bad shit only happens in bad neighborhoods, dumbass. I'm saying where are you on a regular basis to feel the need you have to carry a gun?

frankotank
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM

I work in the "big city" and it can be pretty creepy at times, but hey, you can walk into your local small town quick mart and not walk out again. seriously, it happens to people every single day. if you're ever cowering down behind the snack food row hoping the guy with the sawed off robbing the store doesn't come your way, I'll bet you'll remember asking those questions above!

Bane
11-22-2010, 02:46 PM

Statistics prove otherwise.I don't live in a bad area or anything but I carry for many reasons.
1 It is a right at the present time and I'm exercising that right.
2 The criminals that would choose to break into my home or do me and my loved ones harm else where damn sure will be armed.
3 I have a clean record all the way back and should be able to protect my family.
4 The 2nd amendment ensures that I may keep and bear arms.

MOhillbilly
11-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Bad intentions are every where.

Groves
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Are you laying out 3 scenarios in which you would understand why people would carry, or just 3 "reasons" people give for carrying that you're poised to destroy with your verbal-fu?