PDA

View Full Version : Life Gents, I need job help. (Austin, TX)

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
AustinChief, and other nice CPer's in Austin ( or anyone with connections),

My issue:
My current job has not provided me with enough income to save and create a safety net. This means that I am not able to just quit, move down there, and job hunt. So a catch 22 remains - I need a job before I move. But in most cases, I can't get a job unless I am there. I'd like to find a way around this.

My efforts:
I am busting my ass trying to find a job that will allow me to transition down there. Internet hunting, reaching out to contacts, etc... There are many, many wild goose chases going on. Lots of fruitless searches. I figured I would throw out my situation to you all.

My need:
After doing the math, I need a job with an income of at least 30k in Austin. I need this job in the next two months to take advantage of this opportunity.

I am almost 3 years removed from my bachelor's degree, with great experience. I should be making 40-50k right now, but I am "trying to make a difference" at a smaller company. While I am making a huge difference, it's not providing me with enough income. Plus, I love Austin.

It is time to move. What must I do to buck the system, and get down there?

Suggestions? Connections? Any and all help. My resume is ready to go.

Thanks in advance, fellas!

D84

Jenson71
11-15-2010, 11:54 AM
What are you good at? What's your background/education? What's your job experience? What do you like to do? If you had to take three items with you on a deserted island, what would they be? What is your favorite island? What is your favorite dessert?

I have no connections, but I enjoy asking people questions about themselves.

Rain Man
11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Dammit, DaFace. Get back here to Denver right now. We need you here.

Buck
11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
DaFace, I also need a job in San Diego. Can you help me out?

AustinChief
11-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Gonna need more info... what is your degree in, what experience do you have and what are you looking for....

Austin's job market is pretty healthy, you should be able to find SOMETHING to at least get you by until you find what you want...

Have you hit up Craigslist to see what is out there?

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 12:20 PM
What are you good at? What's your background/education? What's your job experience? What do you like to do? If you had to take three items with you on a deserted island, what would they be? What is your favorite island? What is your favorite dessert?

I have no connections, but I enjoy asking people questions about themselves.

What are you good at?
I have solid communications skills, both written and verbal. I am able to think outside the box and strategically plan different communication campaigns (marketing, pr). I'm a great teammate, but can also take initiative when needed.

What's your background/education?
4 year BA degree from K-State. Major in Public Relations, Minor in Leadership Studies.

What's your job experience?
I currently work for a media company as a jack of all trades. I handle internal marketing, branding efforts, media sales, and account management.

I worked for a year and a half as a promotions associate for a film marketing company for some major accounts.

I've also had an internship with an international communications firm.

What do you like to do?
I enjoy the simple things in life; watching sports, fishing, live music, analyzing movies, writing, hanging out with friends and family.

If you had to take three items with you on a deserted island, what would they be?
- my laptop w/internet
- a personal chef with an endless supply of food
- a bus containing my friends and family

What is your favorite island?
I haven't been to enough to say for certain, but I would guess one in Hawaii

What is your favorite dessert?
Haagen-daas coffee ice cream mixed with raspberry sorbet.

morphius
11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I have solid communications skills, both written and verbal. I am able to think outside the box and strategically plan different communication campaigns (marketing, pr). I'm a great teammate, but can also take initiative when needed.

I can't help but read that and think, "I'm a people person!", and that you have a lame game in development.

Not helpful, I know, but good luck!

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Gonna need more info... what is your degree in, what experience do you have and what are you looking for....

Austin's job market is pretty healthy, you should be able to find SOMETHING to at least get you by until you find what you want...

Have you hit up Craigslist to see what is out there?

See above post for more info...

And I agree, I should be able to find something... I've been throwing my resume and filling out applications left and right. My fear is that my current location (KC) will rule me out. That's why I'm looking for an "in."

Yeah, I've been on CL, indeed, simplyhired, and workintexas.com. I've checked the newspapers as well, and I am staying away from monster/careerbuilder since they are mostly spam or BS companies.

Buck
11-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Whoa this is really weird.

Literally 5 minutes after I made my initial post, an old friend of mine called me and offered me a job at his new company, not even kidding.

Thanks DaFace, you're the best!

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I can't help but read that and think, "I'm a people person!", and that you have a lame game in development.

Not helpful, I know, but good luck!

Well, I am in the communications field... I'd take any input, though... what say you?

DA_T_84
Whoa this is really weird.

Literally 5 minutes after I made my initial post, an old friend of mine called me and offered me a job at his new company, not even kidding.

Thanks DaFace, you're the best!

haha nice!

burt
Yeah, I have a 4 year degree in P.R. also. I sell cars.

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Do you use LinkedIN? That's a great way to network, find recruiters, etc...

I only have insight into IT sales related roles - sounds like you're looking outside of that area though. Texas is doing well though, so you shouldn't have a huge problem.

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I have a 4 year degree in P.R. also. I sell cars.

heh... its an open degree, that's for sure.

Factor in my graduation came amidst the worst economic climate in 75 years, and that should tell you how open I am to ANY job. I would like to steer away from sales, because I am fed up with the commission-only game, since the game could change at the drop of a hat.

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Have you pulled a listing of the top companies in and around Austin, and visited their websites looking for jobs?

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Do you use LinkedIN? That's a great way to network, find recruiters, etc...

I only have insight into IT sales related roles - sounds like you're looking outside of that area though. Texas is doing well though, so you shouldn't have a huge problem.

I am on linkedIN, and I have a few contacts in the area, but most are outside my field as well.

I also have to be tricky there, because I am connected to my current boss...

Thanks for the insight on TX, though; everyone keeps saying it should be easier to catch on there than anywhere else right now. I hope so!

burt
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Factor in my graduation came amidst the worst economic climate in 75 years, and that should tell you how open I am to ANY job. I would like to steer away from sales, because I am fed up with the commission-only game, since the game could change at the drop of a hat.

Actually, this is the first time in over 20 years that I have struggled.

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 12:40 PM

I've been in IT Sales for 18 years - I've never had a commission only gig. If you're a 'people person', can deal with stress, handle objections well and don't take them personally, you like $ and flexibility ... sales isn't a bad path.

But, you have to accept the fact that it is a game - there are monthly/quarterly/annual sales metrics, etc to hit... it's not rocket science, but it can be a beating.

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I am on linkedIN, and I have a few contacts in the area, but most are outside my field as well.

I also have to be tricky there, because I am connected to my current boss...

Thanks for the insight on TX, though; everyone keeps saying it should be easier to catch on there than anywhere else right now. I hope so!

As long as you don't POST on LI what you're trying to do, you should be fine.

Join Alumni Groups, Networking Groups, etc... you can find all sorts of Recruiters.

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Have you pulled a listing of the top companies in and around Austin, and visited their websites looking for jobs?

Yeah, lots of tech companies I've noticed. Dell, Apple, etc..

I need to do this again though, the last time i did was a few weeks ago. Thanks for the reminder.

My ultimate job goal for Austin would be to work for the film commission. Its a small office, though, and hard to catch on. This would be a few years down the line I'd imagine.

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
You should job hunt on LinkedIN - I just saw lots of interesting things for Austin.

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
You really need to find someone local though to help ... rarely do people get a job without knowing someone along the way in the process.

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 01:05 PM
You should job hunt on LinkedIN - I just saw lots of interesting things for Austin.

Yep, as soon as I get home I'm on it. Thanks again.

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 01:06 PM
You really need to find someone local though to help ... rarely do people get a job without knowing someone along the way in the process.

Agreed.... and so here I am, networkin'!

Mile High Mania
11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
You can easily reach and surpass that income goal with an IT Sales gig, likely an inside sales (phone based) opportunity based on your experience. I would seriously consider it... if you answered positively the questions I threw out there earlier.

DaFace
11-15-2010, 01:18 PM
WTF? When did I become a job placement service? :)

But seriously, dude, I'm in Denver. I don't think I've even BEEN to Austin.

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
You can easily reach and surpass that income goal with an IT Sales gig, likely an inside sales (phone based) opportunity based on your experience. I would seriously consider it... if you answered positively the questions I threw out there earlier.

If it isn't solely commission based, and I can hit my 2800/month goal with certainty, then I'm open to anything. Worst case scenerio, it doesn't work out, and i hunt for a different job. This time, though, I'd be in the city.

How is the base pay for these types of jobs?

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM

well shit... i thought you were there lol.....

mah bad.... :clap:

Jilly
11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
There's a place called McCoy's, it's a local building company here, they are hiring, PR I think is what I saw. Go visit their website.

Also, I remember when I was looking for a job for Sully that Coke was looking for a marketing person. I don't have many connections yet, only being here 3 months, but it's a great area, so I'm sure you can find something.

burt
11-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Yes, but you can spell Austin.

DA_T_84
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
There's a place called McCoy's, it's a local building company here, they are hiring, PR I think is what I saw. Go visit their website.

Also, I remember when I was looking for a job for Sully that Coke was looking for a marketing person. I don't have many connections yet, only being here 3 months, but it's a great area, so I'm sure you can find something.

Awesome, thanks a million!

Jilly
11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Awesome, thanks a million!

you're welcome

DA_T_84
05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Still looking, every day...

In the mean time, I've been kicking ass at my current job. It's allowed me to start paying down school loans, car, and credit card debt. In total, I've got 15k in total debt left. Not too bad.

However, I'm still not able to save just yet, preventing me from being down there to job hunt. So I'm still doing the long-distance hunt, which is rather irritating.

If anyone has any connections or new ideas, I'm open.

Thanks again!

JD10367
05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
There's an opening for a mugger, one of the regulars is going to be spending some time getting his fudge packed...

DA_T_84
05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
There's an opening for a mugger, one of the regulars is going to be spending some time getting his fudge packed...

Funny story is that that thread reminded me about this one, and is responsible for me bumping.

"HE MOVES, IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS" - bono, U2