PDA

View Full Version : KSU KState over KU for the NCAA Championship

ArrowheadHawk
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/14/1588345/bob-lutz-predicts-the-sweet-16.html#storylink=omni_popular

Bob Lutz predicts the Sweet 16 with a Sunflower twist

I correctly predicted 10 of the Sweet 16 in the 2010 NCAA Tournament. Not bad, not bad at all.

It's not important that I picked only one Final Four team or that the teams I picked to play for the national championship _ Kansas and Texas _ were dispatched early in the tournament.

This year, I'm not only picking all three in-state teams for the Sweet 16, but I'm picking KU and K-State to make it to the Final Four. Then, in the national championship game, I'm taking K-State over the Jayhawks.

I'm all in. And not blinking.

Duke

This is the safest bet in the field. The Blue Devils won last year, have key players returning, get some really good freshmen and that guy on the bench, ol' what's his name. Starts with a K. One of those freshmen, Kyrie Irving, might be the best point guard in the country by January.

Florida

Two straight national championships made a legend of Gators coach Billy Donovan. But the Gators haven't won a game in the NCAA Tournament since that last championship in 2007. Slowly, Florida has been building back to being a contender and this season the Gators should at least get to the second weekend.

Gonzaga

On the heels of Butler, doesn't it make perfect sense that Gonzaga should make a deep run in the tournament? Mark Few stays as the coach, even though he could easily go big-time. Really good players keep finding their way to Spokane. And Gonzaga remains relevant, year after year.

Kansas

Hang with me here, because this notion is a little crazy. I actually think the Jayhawks will benefit from being without guard Sherron Collins. I hated KU's chemistry last season. All season. And while I don't totally blame Collins, he was the veteran senior whose job it was to pull things together. I like this version of the Jayhawks. New stars will emerge _ Marcus Morris already has.

Kansas State

I think the Wildcats will miss Denis Clemente more than anyone knows. I don't think it'll be easy to replace to little things Dominique Sutton did, either. But Jacob Pullen, Curtis Kelly and Wally Judge are a Big Three to rival any in the country. And they are not alone. I look for a big season from sophomore guard Rodney McGruder, who can really shoot and defend.

Kentucky

Mr. One and Done, coach John Calipari, has another amazing group of freshmen, although one of them, center Enes Kanter, has been ruled ineligible by the NCAA. There are four others, though, and even some nice returning players. The new breed of Kentucky player won't be around long, but will make an impact.

Memphis

I like young coach Josh Pastner. He took over a program coming off a four-year stretch in which it had a 137-13 record, including a championship-game loss to Kansas in 2008, and has kept the Tigers at a high level when few thought he could. Memphis should rise again thanks to an outstanding freshman class that includes guards Will Barton, Joe Jackson and Jelan Kenruck. The Tigers are more experienced in the frontcourt and should conquer Conference USA.

Michigan State

The Spartans are experienced beyond imagination and talented. Durrell Summers, Draymond Green and Delvin Roe also sure to confuse with their similar first names are back from last season's Final Four squad, too. Tom Izzo must have been dizzo to think about that Cleveland Cavaliers job.

North Carolina

Didn't the Tar Heels miss the NCAA Tournament last season? And didn't the tournament go on just fine without them? That said, Carolina should be right back in the mix of things thanks to a great recruiting class, led by sensational freshman Harrison Barnes and, perhaps, freshman point guard Kendall Marshall, whose development will be a key.

Ohio State

Can we get a little love for coach Thad Matta? He might not be on the level of Coach K, Roy or T Izz, as I like to call them, but he's certainly in that second pack. The Buckeyes are coming off a 29-8 season and return most of their key players, including guards William Buford, David Lighty and Jon Diebler along with forward Dallas Lauderdale.

Pittsburgh

Jamie Dixon has really built something in Pittsburgh, but it's time for the Panthers to break through to a Final Four to earn the coach the respect he deserves. I love forwards Gilbert Brown, Nasir Robinson and Dante Taylor. If Pittsburgh's guard play comes through, the Panthers will be a Big East beast with the potential to get to Houston.

Purdue

Poor Robbie Hummel, who is out with a second ACL tear. The first cost the Boilermakers a chance to play in a Final Four in their home state. But there's no crying in college basketball, so Purdue goes forward with an excellent stable of guards to go with one of the nation's outstanding post players, JaJuan Johnson. The Boilermakers deserve a break or two, so the basketball gods may be helpful.

San Diego State

Here's the long shot of the group, if a team returning almost everyone and everything from a 25-9 season can be considered a long shot. The Aztecs have their own Fab Five, which is a familiar thing to their coach, Steve Fisher. Five starters are back and San Diego State's returnees had 82.8 percent of the team's points, 80.4 of the rebounds and 86.7 of the assists. Darkhorse? That term doesn't seem to apply, does it?

Syracuse

No Wesley Johnson, the best player for the Orange last season. But four starters are back to go with one of the nation's top freshman classes. It's led by Fab Melo, no relation to Car Melo, who led Syracuse and Jim Boeheim to their only national championship a few years back. Fab Melo can play, too. He's going to be the man in the middle for Syracuse.

Washington

The Pac-10 might be down again. But not the Huskies of Coach Lorenzo Romar, who destroyed the conference last season and made it to the Sweet 16. Guard Isaiah Thomas is one of the country's best. Truth be told, I just wanted to put someone from the Pac-10 in the Sweet 16 and until UCLA and Arizona get their acts back together both are making strides, by the way Washington is easily the best choice.

Wichita State

Wouldn't it be wonderful for WSU fans if every five years the Shockers made it to the Sweet 16? Well, it was five years ago that a team coached by Mark Turgeon and led by Paul Miller did just that before losing to George Mason in Washington D.C. This team is everybody's pick to win the Missouri Valley Conference and should go into March as one of the mid-major darlings, if anyone still uses such a term.

Rest of the Field

ACC Maryland, N.C. State, Virginia Tech

America East Maine

Atlantic Sun Belmont

Atlantic 10 Dayton, Richmond, Temple, Xavier

Big East Georgetown, Louisville, Marquette, Villanova, West Virginia

Big Sky Weber State

Big South Coastal Carolina

Big Ten Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Big 12 Baylor, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M

Big West UC Santa Barbara

Colonial Old Dominion, VCU

Horizon Butler

Ivy Princeton

Metro Atlantic Fairfield

Mid-American Central Michigan

Mid-Eastern Morgan State

Missouri Valley Northern Iowa

Mountain West BYU, New Mexico, UNLV

Northeast Quinnipiac

Ohio Valley Murray State

Pac-10 Arizona, UCLA

Patriot Lafayette

SEC Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt

Southern Wofford

Southland Lamar

Summit Oakland

Sun Belt Western Kentucky

SWAC Jackson State

West Coast Loyola Marymount

WAC Utah State

Elite Eight

Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Washington, Wichita State

Final Four

Duke, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan State

National championship

Kansas State over Kansas

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/11/14/v-print/1588345/bob-lutz-predicts-the-sweet-16.html#ixzz15No61qnf

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Ball State over KU

ArrowheadHawk
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Ball State over KU

Does Nebraska even make the tourney?

Saulbadguy
11-15-2010, 01:42 PM
No way Morgan State wins the MEAC.

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Does Nebraska even make the tourney?

2 words for ya.....

Andre Almeida

ChiTown
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Does Nebraska even have a team?

fyp

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 01:50 PM
fyp

K-State fans have a basketball team only when it's winning.

ChiTown
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
K-State fans have a basketball team only when it's winning.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 01:55 PM
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Yea that place is so tough to play in your biggest rival came in and punked you.

ChiTown
11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Yea that place is so tough to play in your biggest rival came in and punked you.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*pumps up crowd*

Dante84
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Kinda like Lincoln when the Longhorns came to town?

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Kinda like Lincoln when the Longhorns came to town?

Equivalent fail. Texas isn't our biggest rival OU is and we beat them.

Dante84
11-15-2010, 03:01 PM

oh? ok.

Pants
11-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Kind of funny because everyone in OU thinks Texas is their biggest rival and everyone in Texas thinks OU is their biggest rival. What gives? Also, KU's biggest rival is MU, not KSU. ON TOP OF ALL THAT, KU was ranked and considered #1 in the country when they went into the OOD and beat KSU. Texas BEAT you at YOUR house during one of their worst seasons, lol.

Brock
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Why would a NU fan be posting in a basketball thread? They should just shut that program down.

kstater
11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
KU might set it's goals at getting out of the first weekend of the tournament.

Pants
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Or, you know, winning the National Championship again.

ChiTown
11-15-2010, 03:19 PM

I personally plan on hanging the "Bob Lutz Preseason Championship Banner" in Bramlage. Hell, if you ****ers can hang a couple of Helms Banner's, I figure, why not.

:D

ArrowheadHawk
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Do something once in last 20 years and you act like you are the king of the tourney. Get one of these and then talk that smack. Before last year how long had it been since KState made it out of the first weekend?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/04/07/2004334089.jpg

kstater
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Oh they plan on playing double digit seeds for the first 4 games again?

Saulbadguy
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
. Before last year how long had it been since KState made it out of the first round?

2 years.

kstater
Do something once in last 20 years and you act like you are the king of the tourney. Get one of these and then talk that smack. Before last year how long had it been since KState made it out of the first round?

2 years?

ChiTown
Do something once in last 20 years and you act like you are the king of the tourney. Get one of these and then talk that smack. Before last year how long had it been since KState made it out of the first round?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/04/07/2004334089.jpg

Jesus was riding his 10-speed, and I was in College.

teedubya
11-15-2010, 03:24 PM
When Nebraska leaves the conference can we ban billay?

teedubya
11-15-2010, 03:31 PM
When Nebraska leaves the conference can we ban billay?

teedubya
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Check out my new tat.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZBTfVT95Cd0/SMDqNO1FefI/AAAAAAAAAow/AZfbtwVDQXQ/s400/KU_TAT_3.jpg

teedubya
11-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Check out my new tat.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZBTfVT95Cd0/SMDqNO1FefI/AAAAAAAAAow/AZfbtwVDQXQ/s400/KU_TAT_3.jpg

Pants
11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Oh they plan on playing double digit seeds for the first 4 games again?

It happened the way it happened. We played the teams who beat their opponents. Also beat two #1 seeds. Don't be jealous, bro. Little retarded brother needs to worry about beating his big national championship winning brother 1 out of 3 times.

lawl

Bambi
11-15-2010, 03:59 PM
she alright...

http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2009/10/16/bkc_latenight_rg003_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe067

Chiefs Pantalones
11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
LMAO

KState over KU for the title? Cute.

Thig Lyfe
11-15-2010, 04:06 PM
An all-Kansas championship would be pretty goddamn cool.

Pants
11-15-2010, 04:11 PM
An all-Kansas championship would be pretty goddamn cool.
I will take that, yes.

HolyHandgernade
11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm all in. And not blinking.

Big frikin' deal, Bob. What does that mean to anyone else? How about a "If I'm wrong, I'll do this ......." instead of something as worthless as your "reputation" for calling basketball games?

teedubya
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm just gonna say my post twice in the same post, hopefully that avoids the server posting it twice.

I'm just gonna say my post twice in the same post, hopefully that avoids the server posting it twice.

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 04:32 PM

KU could win but you'll still be a loser.

teedubya
11-15-2010, 04:32 PM
KU could win but you'll still be a loser.

Jesus, you are a such a douche.

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Jesus, you are a such a douche.

Negative i'm not a KU basketball "fan".

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM

"I'm gonna go get the papers... get the papers"

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, and who is "pants"?

kstater
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Oh, and who is "pants"?

It's Metrolike's avatar, and Metrolike is a KU fan, so, I think it's Metrolike.

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2010, 04:45 PM
OIC. (I know how metro loves the anagram talk)

Anybody know what led to the name change?

chiefsfan987
11-15-2010, 06:28 PM
The committee will put Kansas and Kansas State on the same side of the bracket. You can book it.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2010, 06:35 PM
OIC. (I know how metro loves the anagram talk)

Anybody know what led to the name change?

No idea. But, excellent username. It would be better with an exclamation point.

Pants!

Spott
11-15-2010, 06:36 PM
If they met in the tournament, KU would just beat them 4 times in a year instead of the usual 2 or 3 times.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-15-2010, 06:43 PM
If they met in the tournament, KU would just beat them 4 times in a year instead of the usual 2 or 3 times.

Exactly.

Little brother never beats big brother. Especially when little brother is a step child like KState.

Rock Chalk mother fuckers

teedubya
11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see KSU win the Big 12, but I don't expect it, especially when Selby is cleared.

KSU is a great team though.

teedubya
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Negative i'm not a KU basketball "fan".

Then go post in your Nebraska "basketball" thread, and keep this thread douche free.

There enough douches in here with me, Saul, William and Vanilla Thunder already here.

GoHuge
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not gonna talk any shit about KU or take part in the cock measuring contest. KU has won the Big XII 6 years in a row. Until that changes I'm not sure what there is to talk about. I'm excited as all hell about this season, but like Frank Martin says "they don't throw parades in January." This is fun as all hell with preseason rankings, but in March they really don't mean shit. I can honestly see us winning the Big XII regular season, but after that it's about match ups. Gonna be a fun ride. KU and K-State in the Final Four would be amazing...........no way the committee lets them have a chance at an all Kansas championship game.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm not gonna talk any shit about KU or take part in the cock measuring contest. KU has won the Big XII 6 years in a row. Until that changes I'm not sure what there is to talk about. I'm excited as all hell about this season, but like Frank Martin says "they don't throw parades in January." This is fun as all hell with preseason rankings, but in March they really don't mean shit. I can honestly see us winning the Big XII regular season, but after that it's about match ups. Gonna be a fun ride. KU and K-State in the Final Four would be amazing...........no way the committee lets them have a chance at an all Kansas championship game.

I don't give two shits about the Big 12 title, nor does any other KU fan. We have a million of those. You want some of my shirts I got? I use them for workout shirts. They mean nothing. The main thing is the main thing for KU...National Championships. But I understand KSU's thing...baby steps.

Bambi
11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Nebraska football will never win another National Cahmpionship.

Kansas Basketball will win many.

But good game the other night Nebraska. Was fun

Bambi
11-15-2010, 08:10 PM

What are you kidding? With all the wizard of oz references it will be a ratings dream!

Bambi
11-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see KSU win the Big 12, but I don't expect it, especially when Selby is cleared.

KSU is a great team though.

KSU will miss Clemente alot more than anyone is letting on.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2010, 08:18 PM
KSU will miss Clemente alot more than anyone is letting on.
I love this "new" phogtard talking point.

Clemente was a "streaky shooter, thug, crying bitch" last season. Now, apparently he was the only reason our team was any good.

Bambi
11-15-2010, 08:22 PM
I love this "new" phogtard talking point.

Clemente was a "streaky shooter, thug, crying bitch" last season. Now, apparently he was the only reason our team was any good.

He wasn't great but he was good.

He made that crazy shot off the scoreboard. That was awesome...

Saulbadguy
11-15-2010, 08:23 PM
He wasn't great but he was good.

He made that crazy shot off the scoreboard. That was awesome...

True, he was a very good player for us.

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2010, 08:37 PM
K-State vs. KU in the national championship?

LMAO

If that happens, I'll move back to Kansas.

:D

FTR, I think K-State has a much better chance to reach the Championship game than KU, especially if KU faces any mid-majors whose school name starts with the letter "B".

Chocolate Hog
11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Nebraska football will never win another National Cahmpionship.

Kansas Basketball will win many.

But good game the other night Nebraska. Was fun

Yea dipshit thats why there ranked in the top 10 with a freshmen QB.

Meanwhile KU relies on a guy that can't even qualify and Brady Morningstar as a leader ROFL

Bambi
11-15-2010, 10:38 PM

Meanwhile KU relies on a guy that can't even qualify and Brady Morningstar as a leader ROFL

Forget the national scene...

Kansas wins conference titles with it's eyes closed.

Nebraska hasn't won one in more than a decade.

Good luck in the Big 10, lol.

ROYC75
11-16-2010, 08:39 AM

You are moving to a football conference that is as tough as the B12, your best chance of a NC was in the B12@ North.

Now go play along with the other bugeaters.

FTR, a KU vs KSU NC game is a dream game for all of Kansans. But the Left coast markets and right coast markets will not like it and it will not be no ratings market.

As for that happening, I can respect what Martin has done in West Lawrence. He is bringing in some quality talent, it makes things interesting now in B12 basketball.

But KSU, what have you really won so far ? Sure the possibilities are intriguing, but keep your litter box clean and then you can claim fame to a NC title game.

To win B12 basketball, you always have to go through Lawrence, Ks, Not West Lawrence, Ks. But as we all know, anything can happen.

Personally, KSU is over-rated because of the hype, preseason is nothing and as other posters / people have said, you don't hang banners or get parades in January.

Last years KU team was a disappointment, but once Selby is ready to go, I think KU will be even better. I see a better brand of team ball so far with this KU team, more of a 2008 style, they are fast and mean when they want to be. So far the season is early and it's a cupcake schedule. Only time will tell.

It's going to be an exciting year in B12 basketball.

ChiTown
11-16-2010, 08:44 AM
You are moving to a football conference that is as tough as the B12, your best chance of a NC was in the B12@ North.

Now go play along with the other bugeaters.

FTR, a KU vs KSU NC game is a dream game for all of Kansans. But the Left coast markets and right coast markets will not like it and it will not be no ratings market.

As for that happening, I can respect what Martin has done in West Lawrence. He is bringing in some quality talent, it makes things interesting now in B12 basketball.

But KSU, what have you really won so far ? Sure the possibilities are intriguing, but keep your litter box clean and then you can claim fame to a NC title game.

To win B12 basketball, you always have to go through Lawrence, Ks, Not West Lawrence, Ks. But as we all know, anything can happen.

Personally, KSU is over-rated because of the hype, preseason is nothing and as other posters / people have said, you don't hang banners or get parades in January.

Last years KU team was a disappointment, but once Selby is ready to go, I think KU will be even better. I see a better brand of team ball so far with this KU team, more of a 2008 style, they are fast and mean when they want to be. So far the season is early and it's a cupcake schedule. Only time will tell.

It's going to be an exciting year in B12 basketball.

IIRC

The KU vs KSU MBB game in Manhattan last season was ESPN's highest rated MBB game of the year. Just sayin...........

Pants
11-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Good luck against VT today, fellas. I honestly hope you fucking RAPE that ACC garbage.

ROYC75
11-16-2010, 09:13 AM
IIRC

The KU vs KSU MBB game in Manhattan last season was ESPN's highest rated MBB game of the year. Just sayin...........

Then maybe I'm wrong. As bias as the east & west markets are,I wasn't aware of that, hmm... Maybe the east & west would like to see a Sunflower NC Showdown.

I'll admit it again, I didn't give Martin much of a chance and he became just what KSU needed,Much better than Thuggy Bear.

I can see KSU clearly top 10 all year and making a run for it, possibly top 6 to 8 when it's all sorted out later in the year. But just as KU and UK found out last year, the best teams do not always win the final game.

Bambi
11-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Then maybe I'm wrong. As bias as the east & west markets are,I wasn't aware of that, hmm... Maybe the east & west would like to see a Sunflower NC Showdown.

I'll admit it again, I didn't give Martin much of a chance and he became just what KSU needed,Much better than Thuggy Bear.

I can see KSU clearly top 10 all year and making a run for it, possibly top 6 to 8 when it's all sorted out later in the year. But just as KU and UK found out last year, the best teams do not always win the final game.

I think an interstate Championship game would be exciting to watch no matter what the state.

UNC vs NC State, Mich vs MSU... it provides an odd intrigue that I think people everywhere would be into... at least for one year.

KevB
11-16-2010, 10:21 AM
All this talk about Big 12 doesn't matter, don't hang banners in January, KSU overrated until they do something, etc. If I'm not mistaken, didn't KState win more games in March.....you know, when it matters?

Dante84
11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
What I think is funny, is that everyone (KU fans) using the "you don't get parades in january" phrase is forgetting....

That Frank is the one who said it.

We are fully aware.

I'm sure the team is as well.

WilliamTheIrish
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
PANTS!!!!

(just had to say it. Saul's right. It's better w/the exclamations)

Pants
11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
PANTS!!!!

(just had to say it. Saul's right. It's better w/the exclamations)

Yes?

How come you're not going to the game? My coworker left like 30 minutes ago to go watch it.

WilliamTheIrish
11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Yes?

How come you're not going to the game? My coworker left like 30 minutes ago to go watch it.

Because I'm a f'ing loser in charge of 30 some people and when several of them call off, it kills my ability to see a game for which I have mf'ing tix.

I was able to give them away but I'm still kinda frosted about the situation.

Pants
11-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Because I'm a f'ing loser in charge of 30 some people and when several of them call off, it kills my ability to see a game for which I have mf'ing tix.

I was able to give them away but I'm still kinda frosted about the situation.

That's rough, man. Be nice to your peons, I'm sure they all had legit reasons to call in.

FishingRod
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
It is really had to Win a National Championship. It takes a talented team and usually a spot of good fortune. I think all three of the local teams are good enough to make it to the sweet 16 with KSU and KU being under achieving with anything less than an elite 8. I guess I'm an arrogant KU fan since I think we have a "chance" to win it all pretty much every year, if we don't win it this year It might as well be MU or KSU. The team I hate is Duke.