PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Undrafted rookie Verran Tucker beats out veterans for starting spot

Tribal Warfare
11-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Undrafted rookie Verran Tucker beats out veterans for starting spot (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/26/2474440/undrafted-rookie-verran-tucker.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Wide receiver Verran Tucker had the same objective as all other undrafted rookies when he joined the Chiefs last summer. He just hoped to make the team.

So, it’s one of the most improbable developments of the Chiefs’ season that Tucker, who initially joined the team to run pass patterns at training camp, is now playing ahead of veterans such as Chris Chambers and Terrance Copper.

“I don’t even know what to say about it because I was never even thinking about it until it happened,” Tucker said. “This happened a lot quicker than I thought it would.

“Coming out of the situation I was in, which was an undrafted free agent, you never think you’re going to be starting this early. Most guys usually don’t tend to break through to the starting role until two or three years in.”

But Tucker entered the picture just as the Chiefs were searching for a receiver to play on the other side from Dwayne Bowe. The Chiefs reduced playing time for Chambers, who has just 13 catches this season, and gave Tucker the spot.

Tucker made his first NFL start last week against Arizona. His starter status could change by Sunday’s game against the Seahawks in Seattle, but Tucker indicated he was working with the starters in practice again this week.

It’s not unlike Todd Haley, a former receivers coach, to give an unheralded player a trial. Last year, the since-departed Lance Long was a project of Haley’s.

“(Tucker) earned the right to make plays,” Haley said. “We’re just trying to find guys that can contribute, and the more you see him out there, that means the more he’s contributing.

“He has some receivers skills that you can’t coach. That’s what’s kept me kind of encouraged about his development. He can run, and he understands some of the adjustments. He’s a young guy, and he’s seeing a lot of those things for the first time. He’s not afraid to make a play. That’s what I’ve seen from him, and that’s usually a good sign.”

Unlike Long, Tucker might have some staying power. He is more athletic than Long and, as Haley said, not afraid to make a play.

His first NFL catch went for an 11-yard touchdown early this month against Oakland. At that point, Tucker put some serious distance between himself and his humble NFL beginnings.

After catching 50 passes in two collegiate seasons at California, Tucker participated in last winter’s NFL scouting combine but went undrafted.

“I don’t know (why),” Tucker said. “I wish someone could find that answer for me. I really can’t say why I wasn’t drafted. But things worked out for me.”

He signed with the Cowboys after the draft but was released just before the start of training camp. He joined the Chiefs a few days later, and everything came together for Tucker quickly.

He started the season on the practice squad but was elevated to the active roster a month ago. He has just three catches, but one was for a touchdown, and another went for 38 yards against Denver.

“You bring a guy in and he’s a little rusty and dropping some balls (but) running around pretty good and running routes pretty well, and you’re just saying, ‘Well, here’s a guy that’s a candidate for the practice squad,’ ” offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said.

“As the year goes on, every day he goes out there, he gets better and better and better to the point where now you start to say, ‘Maybe this guy can get on the field.’

“He’s played himself into a guy that not only got on the team but now is a contributor on the field. Now all of those nice routes he’s running and balls being on the ground because he’s rusty aren’t on the ground anymore. All of a sudden, he’s catching those balls. He’s far from a polished product, but from where he was when he got here in training camp to now is night and day.”

Quarterback Matt Cassel spent little time throwing to Tucker at training camp, instead working with the main group of receivers. But he said Tucker still caught his attention.

“I’ll spend a lot of time watching one-on-ones in practice and kind of see how receivers respond,” Cassel said. “Sometimes young guys panic or don’t know how to use their body. He was doing a great job in the one-on-ones, and it kind of started from there. Even in preseason, you could see that he had an understanding of what we’re trying to do. That’s probably the reason he’s here right now.

“He was a guy you noticed right away. He can run, has some speed. They were giving him (snaps) in practice just to see where he was, and he was showing them mentally he could handle things. He really earned it.”
To reach Adam Teicher, call 816-234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com

Count Alex's Losses
11-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Jeez we're desperate for a receiver. This guy has three catches and dropped a TD last week. He's nothing, and yet he warrants an article?

FAIL
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ntNP_DCFPwXfrM:http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/01152009pioli600.jpg&t=1

SNR
11-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Jeez we're desperate for a receiver. This guy has three catches and dropped a TD last week. He's nothing, and yet he warrants an article?

FAIL
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ntNP_DCFPwXfrM:http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/01152009pioli600.jpg&t=1
I try to tell people that they should learn to love Copper, because he's the best thing besides Bowe that this franchise will see in a long time at receiver. I try to tell them that the best thing Tucker can be IS Terrance Copper.

Why not take Terrance Copper if you need Terrance Copper? Don't go taking somebody else in order to turn them into Terrance Copper.

ChiefsNow
11-27-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm not normally one to bash a chiefs player. In the privacy of your own home or at a bar with buddies or something like that it's cool, but on the inernet where everyone can read it, if you are a fan , it is not good. but at this time and the fact that I like the fact that we are using young players, I do think it's time to cut Chambers and let tucker and Copper be the next in line. Chambers was cut from san diego for a reason and maybe when we signed him, the change of atmosphere made him do well for us, but now he has totally fallen of the face of the planet , Time to just cut him and let the young guys come in.

Fritz88
11-27-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm not normally one to bash a chiefs player. In the privacy of your own home or at a bar with buddies or something like that it's cool, but on the inernet where everyone can read it, if you are a fan , it is not good.

It comes with the job. He is a public figure and you and I contribute to his paycheck. If he is not tough mentally to take critisism then he shouldnt be here in the first place. I hope to God my bashing of Cassel works out and he either leaves or fixes his flat ass.
Posted via Mobile Device

spanky 52
11-27-2010, 06:50 AM
The problems at WR for the Chiefs goes back to Pioli. The Chiefs brought in Mike Thomas for a predraft workout last year but didn't take him when they could have had him in the fourth round. He's doing pretty well for the Jags.

I don't mind Tucker getting some time, he has shown he can catch the ball. Again signing Chambers to a big contract goes back to Pioli the genius. Thanks for letting me diss Pioli. The guy has set the rebuilding process back several years.

penchief
11-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Again signing Chambers to a big contract goes back to Pioli the genius. Thanks for letting me diss Pioli. The guy has set the rebuilding process back several years.

That's a little over dramatic. Signing Chambers set the rebuilding process back several years? Really? No GM hits on every decision he makes.

Chambers has been a huge disappointment but if this team does happen to make the playoffs he could find enough motivation to make a couple of big plays. I'm not saying that such a possibility makes up for his laziness now but it's kind of hard to knock Pioli for thinking Chambers would produce like he did last year.

That said, cutting Chambers loose is not going to set the rebuilding process back several years. That's just a silly comment.

TheGuardian
11-27-2010, 07:25 AM
The problems at WR for the Chiefs goes back to Pioli. The Chiefs brought in Mike Thomas for a predraft workout last year but didn't take him when they could have had him in the fourth round. He's doing pretty well for the Jags.

I don't mind Tucker getting some time, he has shown he can catch the ball. Again signing Chambers to a big contract goes back to Pioli the genius. Thanks for letting me diss Pioli. The guy has set the rebuilding process back several years.

OMG you're a fucking moron.

Bwana
11-27-2010, 07:45 AM
Chris Chambers is useless. He looks tired, slow and runs (jogs) poor routes. He looks like a three legged sloth, out on the field. I'm glad to see him riding the pine and Tucker getting a chance.

Chief Faithful
11-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Tucker has shown better quickness and speed than Copper and Chambers. Against the Cards he was getting some good separation on several of his routes, which we have not see from Chambers all year. And, so far, he seems to have decent hands.

I'm glad to have a coach that is willing to take an undrafted free agent that is producing in practice and see what he can do in a game. I'm not making any predictions, but I like what I've seen.

Deberg_1990
11-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Nice to see the kid getting his shot. That TD catch he caught against the Raiders was spectacular.

bevischief
11-27-2010, 08:55 AM
At least they are trying something else and see what they have to build on for next year.

the Talking Can
11-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Chris Chambers is useless. He looks tired, slow and runs (jogs) poor routes. He looks like a three legged sloth, out on the field. I'm glad to see him riding the pine and Tucker getting a chance.

yeah, i wish they'd just cut his ass

and i thought the signing was alright...sucker = me

you might as well give tucker a shot, he's a shown a little bit...not like we have anything else worth developing at this point...we need WRs next year, a couple

SenselessChiefsFan
11-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Chambers stays. Not that he is playing great, but if the Chiefs get an injury, he is better than anyone the Chiefs could pick up. Plus, if he gets cut, there is a chance he lands with a divisional opponent. And, much like last year, he could suddenly find motivation if he gets cut.

Chiefshrink
11-27-2010, 09:23 AM
The Parcells way is that of, if you can produce now, you will contribute now regardless of lack of experience or name recognition.

As most of you know Parcells taught Bellichek,Haley and Pioli - The "Right 53" which means you want 'true' football players that truly 'love the game' that not only have talent but truly 'love to win' and 'hate to lose' and not only want to make plays but make plays when it counts. And most of the time players with these type of qualities and values that are committed to the NFL game usually don't have character issues and are natural 'unsung' leaders. Talented vets are highly prized 'only' if they can still produce and have great mature team leadership skills that have won elsewhere.

Parcells taught more often than not you will find most of these type of players "hidden gems" down deep in the draft or on the depth charts of other NFL teams that were never above the "fold of the sports page" in college or the pros. Talented instinctual eyes and minds for the "Right 53" is essential in your scouting crew to bring in the "53" type of guy and not just a physically talented player.

Case in point: Look at Belli's first 3 SB's. Their first SB they started out that season 1-4 only to win the next 11 in a row and win the SB with an unknown unheralded Tom Brady and for that matter "no superstars" at all on that team or the next 2 SB's. No Randy Moss. Look at what Deion Branch has done since coming back to the Pats. The Pats are playing better without Moss. Branch still produces and just as valuable is his leadership skills of 'how to win' unlike Moss who has never won.

Go Verran!!!!!

SNR
11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
The Parcells way is that of, if you can produce now, you will contribute now regardless of lack of experience or name recognition.

As most of you know Parcells taught Bellichek,Haley and Pioli - The "Right 53" which means you want 'true' football players that truly 'love the game' that not only have talent but truly 'love to win' and 'hate to lose' and not only want to make plays but make plays when it counts. And most of the time players with these type of qualities and values that are committed to the NFL game usually don't have character issues and are natural 'unsung' leaders. Talented vets are highly prized 'only' if they can still produce and have great mature team leadership skills that have won elsewhere.

Parcells taught more often than not you will find most of these type of players "hidden gems" down deep in the draft or on the depth charts of other NFL teams that were never above the "fold of the sports page" in college or the pros. Talented instinctual eyes and minds for the "Right 53" is essential in your scouting crew to bring in the "53" type of guy and not just a physically talented player.

Case in point: Look at Belli's first 3 SB's. Their first SB they started out that season 1-4 only to win the next 11 in a row and win the SB with an unknown unheralded Tom Brady and for that matter "no superstars" at all on that team or the next 2 SB's. No Randy Moss. Look at what Deion Branch has done since coming back to the Pats. The Pats are playing better without Moss. Branch still produces and just as valuable is his leadership skills of 'how to win' unlike Moss who has never won.

Go Verran!!!!!Then it's even funnier that Chambers can be lacking physically AND mentally, and yet we still signed him to a new deal

Bane
11-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Verran Tucker bitches wooooo hooo.Wait,who?

beach tribe
11-27-2010, 09:54 AM
You never know. V may be the field stretching presence we've been lacking.

beach tribe
11-27-2010, 09:55 AM
I try to tell people that they should learn to love Copper, because he's the best thing besides Bowe that this franchise will see in a long time at receiver. I try to tell them that the best thing Tucker can be IS Terrance Copper.

Why not take Terrance Copper if you need Terrance Copper? Don't go taking somebody else in order to turn them into Terrance Copper.

Totally respect, and get what you're saying here, but it's impossible to gauge the ceiling of a guy like this. There's just no way to tell.

Chiefshrink
11-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Then it's even funnier that Chambers can be lacking physically AND mentally, and yet we still signed him to a new deal

Well you can't hit on all of them and it looks like he was just producing last yr for an extension this yr:grr:

Ebolapox
11-27-2010, 10:01 AM
be nice if his ceiling was miles austin.

Chiefshrink
11-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Totally respect, and get what you're saying here, but it's impossible to gauge the ceiling of a guy like this. There's just no way to tell.

Copper IMO was brought in for special teams. He plays well there:thumb:

Chiefshrink
11-27-2010, 10:03 AM
be nice if his ceiling was miles austin.

Yes it would:thumb:

chiefzilla1501
11-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Then it's even funnier that Chambers can be lacking physically AND mentally, and yet we still signed him to a new deal

He was brought in as a stopgap because we couldn't possibly fill all our needs in one season.

Chiefshrink
11-27-2010, 10:19 AM
He was brought in as a stopgap because we couldn't possibly fill all our needs in one season.

Good point as well:thumb:

Buehler445
11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Chambers stays. Not that he is playing great, but if the Chiefs get an injury, he is better than anyone the Chiefs could pick up. Plus, if he gets cut, there is a chance he lands with a divisional opponent. And, much like last year, he could suddenly find motivation if he gets cut.

At his age, the probability of that is low.

Micjones
11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Glad the kid's getting a shot.
Hopefully he can continue to do positive things on the field.
Any pressure we can take off Bowe is good.
Looks like Tucker might help us stretch the field a bit.

Halfcan
11-27-2010, 11:16 AM

3 legged sloth-Good one! ROFL

Chris Meck
11-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Clearly, we have a WR talent issue.

Too late to fill it now.

So what's wrong with giving the kid a shot? Why hate on the kid? The reality is that we have no idea what he may or may not become. He's a rookie WR that has shown a little something.

Lots of WR's weren't high #1 picks. Some of the better ones came unheralded. Who knows, maybe the kid becomes a good player.

LaChapelle
11-27-2010, 11:31 AM
If there is a team or two who is short on WRs
and has a QB who can put a ball in a real tight spot
Chambers can help them -no since in helping them

Deberg_1990
11-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Copper IMO was brought in for special teams. He plays well there:thumb:

He doesnt get thrown to often, but when he does, he catches the ball.

wazu
11-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Give me a fucking break. Terrance Copper is a disaster at WR. If he were competent at all he wouldn't even have to look over his shoulder right now. And he has peaked.

Tucker has at least shown enough upside and ability to climb to a starting spot. You have no way of knowing what he can do.

TRR
11-27-2010, 01:47 PM
So what's wrong with giving the kid a shot? Why hate on the kid?

Because that is the Chiefsplanet way. Bash em' whether they are playing good or bad. There is always something they can be doing better, or a season in the past someone can bitch about.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Give me a fucking break. Terrance Copper is a disaster at WR. If he were competent at all he wouldn't even have to look over his shoulder right now. And he has peaked.

Tucker has at least shown enough upside and ability to climb to a starting spot. You have no way of knowing what he can do.Another doubter, eh?

How many leaping clutch 3rd and 10 catches on bad Matt Cassel throws does Copper need to make before people start to respect this guy?

Do you think I'm fucking around like GoChiefs did with Devard Darling? I'm not. Terrance Copper is the greatest thing to ever happen to this team and we'll be damn lucky if a player like Tucker ever ascends to his level of play.

the Talking Can
11-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Clearly, we have a WR talent issue.

Too late to fill it now.

So what's wrong with giving the kid a shot? Why hate on the kid?

there is 1 post in the thread 'hating on the kid'

did you actually read the thread prior to posting?

Rausch
11-27-2010, 02:13 PM
errance Copper is the greatest thing to ever happen to this team and we'll be damn lucky if a player like Tucker ever ascends to his level of play.

SNR
11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
You don't understand, do you?

He's not just a special teams captain.

He's an ARTIST

TheGuardian
11-27-2010, 02:43 PM
This thread has turned into all kinds of stupid.

jspchief
11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
At least they are trying something else and see what they have to build on for next year.This is the most encouraging thing I take from this.

In the past, we had coaches that continued to trot out the same old declining vets for the entire year when everyone knew they needed to be replaced. At least now we are getting a look at what we have on the roster so we can evaluate what we need next spring.