PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Chiefs Playoff game fund...

TinyEvel
11-28-2010, 12:26 AM
So, the day I became a Chiefs fan was the last day the won a playoff game (January 16, 1994) so, if (when) they make the playoffs I want to be there in person for the first game.

How much money do you figue I'll need to set aside each week for ticket, airfare from L.A. Hotel for one night, food, taxi, etc.

Who's with me? I know it depends on where the game will be, Let's update this thread with estimates as the season winds down and maybe hopefully I'll see some of you there.

TinyE

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Right now it looks like the only way we get in is if we win the division, so the first game should be at home.

As far as how much money, stacks of hundreds. Lots of them.

WebGem
11-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Well assuming you book the flight a week in advance, it'll probably be $400ish round trip. The Chiefs probably won't have a playoff berth/date locked in before that so you can't really book much earlier. This could be closer to $320-350, just depends.

Hotel $80 for something halfway decent.

Food, taxi, etc: $200

Game ticket: $150

That adds up to $800.

TinyEvel
11-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Right now it looks like the only way we get in is if we win the division, so the first game should be at home.

Well that's good news, as I can probably stay with a CPer and save money on both room and transport :D

Airfare will be about 350 but since it's January I'd have to buy a coat, add $200...

WebGem
11-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Another idea is, if the chances look decent 2-3 weeks before the game, book on Southwest for about $100-120 each way. If they don't make it, you'll have Southwest credit you could sell for close to 100% or just keep for future travel (they charge no fees at all), and if the date changes or whatever, you can still book the same flight you would have booked if you didn't do this and just pay the difference, but you'd be stuck with Southwest and other airlines might be cheaper come 7 days before the game.

WebGem
11-28-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm hoping and praying that the Jets come to Arrowhead wild card weekend. We would fucking beat them, I am positive. The problem is the chances of that game happening are not all that probable.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Well that's good news, as I can probably stay with a CPer and save money on both room and transport :D

Airfare will be about 350 but since it's January I'd have to buy a coat, add $200...
You'll also need some good boots, thermal socks and underwear, gloves and possibly a snow shovel to scoop out your seat.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-28-2010, 12:42 AM
And one of these if you plan on tailgating.

http://www.masterheaters.com/Desa_images/b600.jpg

Buck
11-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I would say you should save about $10 a week for the next 110 weeks, you should be good for when the Chiefs host their next playoff game.

WebGem
11-28-2010, 12:49 AM
I would say you should save about $10 a week for the next 110 weeks, you should be good for when the Chiefs host their next playoff game.

I will admit I did giggle (out loud) at this one.

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 12:49 AM

ROFL Says the guy who's team who lost to the Rams.:thumb:

Buck
11-28-2010, 12:50 AM
ROFL Says the guy who's team who lost to the Rams.:thumb:

That's completely irrelevant.

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 12:52 AM
That's completely irrelevant.

What makes you think that a Chargers team that lost to a Rams team that went 6-42 the past 3 seasons(while allowing 7 sacks) is going to make the playoffs over the Chiefs right now?

Buck
11-28-2010, 12:55 AM
What makes you think that a Chargers team that lost to a Rams team that went 6-42 the past 3 seasons(while allowing 7 sacks) is going to make the playoffs over the Chiefs right now?

The Rams have nothing to do with it. All they are to the Chargers are a 1 in the loss column. You're acting like there are never major upsets in the NFL.

Last year's Super Bowl Champions lost to the Bucs, who were very shitty.

Hell, the Patriots lost to the Browns this year, so did the Saints.

Assuming you are around 18? Yes? Not 100% sure, but I had the same exact mindset as you and relied too heavily on stats when I was that age.

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 01:00 AM
The Rams have nothing to do with it. All they are to the Chargers are a 1 in the loss column. You're acting like there are never major upsets in the NFL.

Last year's Super Bowl Champions lost to the Bucs, who were very shitty.

Hell, the Patriots lost to the Browns this year, so did the Saints.

Assuming you are around 18? Yes? Not 100% sure, but I had the same exact mindset as you and relied too heavily on stats when I was that age.

The Bucs beat the Saints because they started Brunell, IIRC, but I get your point. But say the Chargers miss the playoffs by a game, what game would you specifically point to and say that cost the Chargers a playoff spot?

WebGem
11-28-2010, 01:02 AM

The Chargers are most definitely the favorite right now. It's not as much of a longshot as some people think for KC to win the division. It's actually just one big KC win or one big SD slip-up away. Both of which are very possible in this league. I'd say right now it's probably 60-40 SD. I really don't think Oakland has a snowballs chance in hell.

Buck
11-28-2010, 01:04 AM
The Bucs beat the Saints because they started Brunell, IIRC, but I get your point. But say the Chargers miss the playoffs by a game, what game would you specifically point to and say that cost the Chargers a playoff spot?

All of the ones that we lost.

Edit: And also Brees played that whole game. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122707/2009/REG16/buccaneers@saints

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 01:06 AM
The Chargers are most definitely the favorite right now. It's not as much of a longshot as some people think for KC to win the division. It's actually just one big KC win or one big SD slip-up away. Both of which are very possible in this league. I'd say right now it's probably 60-40 SD. I really don't think Oakland has a snowballs chance in hell.

I don't like Oakland's chances either. For whatever reason, though, they rally when Gradkowski's in the game at QB. They have a pretty easy schedule to end the season. They could go 5-1 or 4-2 down the stretch.

WebGem
11-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Buck just wondering...what's your prediction for tomorrow night?

WebGem
11-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't like Oakland's chances either. For whatever reason, though, they rally when Gradkowski's in the game at QB. They have a pretty easy schedule to end the season. They could go 5-1 or 4-2 down the stretch.

Um, what schedule are you looking at?

Buck
11-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Buck just wondering...what's your prediction for tomorrow night?

I never have and never will pick against the Chargers......

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 01:09 AM
All of the ones that we lost.

Edit: And also Brees played that whole game. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009122707/2009/REG16/buccaneers@saints

Damn, I have a bad memory. And I like your response. If the Chiefs and the Chargers both have identical records and the Chargers win in 2 weeks, who would advance then? Would it be who ever had the better record in the division advances?

WebGem
11-28-2010, 01:09 AM

MIA
@SD
@JAX
DEN
IND
@KC

Didn't know that was easy.

Buck
11-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Damn, I have a bad memory. And I like your response. If the Chiefs and the Chargers both have identical records and the Chargers win in 2 weeks, who would advance then? Would it be who ever had the better record in the division advances?

The Chargers own every single tie-breaker on the Chiefs right now except head to head (Chiefs won the first game). If the Chargers win the next game against the Chiefs and we tie, the Chargers win the division.

Rams Fan
Um, what schedule are you looking at?
I meant to include Indy(I thought I did but I didn't). After Indy, they have a pretty easy schedule, but winning on the road is tough for any team.

WebGem

If the Chiefs are tied for first in the division, they will lose the tie-breaker almost for sure.

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 01:11 AM
MIA
@SD
@JAX
DEN
IND
@KC

Didn't know that was easy.

I was referring to San Diego's schedule.

Buck
11-28-2010, 01:11 AM
And for the record, if we missed the playoffs by one game and we lost to all top tier teams and the Rams, I would have probably said the Rams, but these are the teams we've lost to this year:

-Chiefs
-Seahawks
-Raiders
-Rams
-Pats

WebGem
11-28-2010, 01:12 AM
I meant to include Indy(I thought I did but I didn't). After Indy, they have a pretty easy schedule, but winning on the road is tough for any team.

What? After Indy? They have one game after that, and it's at Arrowhead. Are you talking about SD? YOu said Oakland.

Rams Fan
11-28-2010, 01:13 AM
What? After Indy? They have one game after that, and it's at Arrowhead. Are you talking about SD? YOu said Oakland.

No, I'm talking about Oakland. I talked about Gradkowski than I talked about the Chargers.

WebGem
11-28-2010, 01:14 AM
WTF Rams fans are confusing. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TinyEvel, book your flight now for divisional weekend. We're going 15-4 this season.

JOhn
11-28-2010, 04:38 AM
So, the day I became a Chiefs fan was the last day the won a playoff game (January 16, 1994)
TinyE

:thumb:

Was there also.... great game

-King-
11-28-2010, 07:56 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL @ How off track this thread had gotten.
Posted via Mobile Device

kstater
11-28-2010, 08:19 AM
$0/week

Go over to Dane's and take a bit of his millions he won't miss it.

kstater
11-28-2010, 08:20 AM
The Chargers own every single tie-breaker on the Chiefs right now except head to head (Chiefs won the first game)

So what you're saying, is the Chargers have a worse record, and have all the tiebreakers except the important one.

Mojo Jojo
11-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Airfare and hotel may be very expensive. If the Chiefs host 1st round you won't know until late on Sunday prior to the playoffs if they would host on Saturday or Sunday and at what time. That means you will be spending Sunday night looking for airfare and hotel 5 to 6 days out.

milkman
11-28-2010, 08:59 AM

I've been looking at schedules, and the Ravens play the surprising Bucs, who have been better on teh road than at home, the Saints, and the Steelers, all at home, but all games that they could conceivably lose, wspecially since their defense has not been nearly as good as it's reputation.

They also play a Browns team that seems to be improving by the week in Cleveland.

I'm thinking that the chances that a wild card comes out the west are much better than they were a few weeks ago.

Still not good, but no longer out of the question.

bevischief
11-28-2010, 09:01 AM
How much did you spend when you came out for the MNF game? I would double that for a start.

dtebbe
11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
The last time the chiefs had a home playoff games (Colts) face value on the tickets was $130 if I remember right. So that's face value.. you can only imagine what street price will be, especially if we play someone who has a legion of fans that follows them.

DT

Art Vader
11-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Chiefs make the playoffs and I'm there at whatever cost... I think it will take a miracle finish though.

cdcox
11-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I've been looking at schedules, and the Ravens play the surprising Bucs, who have been better on teh road than at home, the Saints, and the Steelers, all at home, but all games that they could conceivably lose, wspecially since their defense has not been nearly as good as it's reputation.

They also play a Browns team that seems to be improving by the week in Cleveland.

I'm thinking that the chances that a wild card comes out the west are much better than they were a few weeks ago.

Still not good, but no longer out of the question.

It's about 16% chance that a WC comes out of the west, with those odds split fairly evenly between KC and SD. Oakland has very long odds at the WC. One thing that helps is that the East and the North (the two stronger divisions) play each other this year and are beating up on each other. It also looks now like the South won't produce a competitor for the wild card. The WC competitor no one thinks about is Miami -- they are lurking around at about 18% chance for the WC.

Actually the odds were better a couple weeks ago. I estimate that they were about 42% after week 9. At that time everyone just went with their gut feeling that the West was bad and wouldn't be able to produce a WC. But there were lots of ways it could happen. Now as we get closer to the end, although the ways it can happen are less, you are able to look at specific ways that a team like Baltimore could be knocked out of the playoffs, and so it seems more realistic to you.

milkman
11-28-2010, 09:50 AM
It's about 16% chance that a WC comes out of the west, with those odds split fairly evenly between KC and SD. Oakland has very long odds at the WC. One thing that helps is that the East and the North (the two stronger divisions) play each other this year and are beating up on each other. It also looks now like the South won't produce a competitor for the wild card. The WC competitor no one thinks about is Miami -- they are lurking around at about 18% chance for the WC.

Actually the odds were better a couple weeks ago. I estimate that they were about 42% after week 9. At that time everyone just went with their gut feeling that the West was bad and wouldn't be able to produce a WC. But there were lots of ways it could happen. Now as we get closer to the end, although the ways it can happen are less, you are able to look at specific ways that a team like Baltimore could be knocked out of the playoffs, and so it seems more realistic to you.

Actually, I was comparing the chances now to the chances at the start of teh season, when it looked like the only team in the west that looked that it would have a record above .500 was the Chargers.

As for the Dolphins, they will most likely lose at New England, and at New York against the Jets, so are likely, at best, a 9 win team, and that won't get them to the playoffs.

I don't know the math that your program uses, and I certainly have no math background to dispute the numbers your program came up with here, but I just can't imagine how it reached the conclusion, with that schedule, that the Dolphins have a higher chance.

Whatever it is, it seems flawed.

Bowser
11-28-2010, 10:09 AM
So, the day I became a Chiefs fan was the last day the won a playoff game (January 16, 1994) so, if (when) they make the playoffs I want to be there in person for the first game.

How much money do you figue I'll need to set aside each week for ticket, airfare from L.A. Hotel for one night, food, taxi, etc.

Who's with me? I know it depends on where the game will be, Let's update this thread with estimates as the season winds down and maybe hopefully I'll see some of you there.

TinyE

Too bad you didn't start the fund the day after that game. You could have McCloud money right now.

Bwana
11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
The magic 8 balls says........ $1,147.91 total cost. It also said to toss in an extra $300.00, if you plan to upgrade a quality hooker into the mix.

http://www.ablenet.org/datas/images/8-ball-front.jpg

pr_capone
11-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I've told my wife, and she is in agreement, that the day the Chiefs make it to the super bowl... I'll be there.

Doesnt matter if we have to take a 2nd mortgage. I'll be there. :D

cdcox
11-28-2010, 11:06 AM
As for the Dolphins, they will most likely lose at New England, and at New York against the Jets, so are likely, at best, a 9 win team, and that won't get them to the playoffs.

Agreed, that they are most likely a 9-win-or-less team, but it is the less likely occurrences where they win 10 or 11 games that accounts for their playoff odds. Looking at it closer, I project a 40% chance that they win 10 or 11 games. However, that was based on play before Thigpen took over as QB. So their odds are probably lower than the software projects.

Slainte
11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
The last time the chiefs had a home playoff games (Colts) face value on the tickets was $130 if I remember right.

I paid $275 for a single ticket --eBay, I believe it was-- to the '04 playoff game vs Indy, the infamous No-punt Bowl.

DJ's left nut
11-28-2010, 12:00 PM

TinyE

Make more Kevin Butler commercials and fly first class...

BigRedChief
11-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I've told my wife, and she is in agreement, that the day the Chiefs make it to the super bowl... I'll be there.

Doesnt matter if we have to take a 2nd mortgage. I'll be there. :DI've been to a Super Bowl in person. Trust me, you don't want to watch the game in the stands when you have to spend $1,000's to watch in person. Get with some fellow Chief fans and share the moment.

Rain Man
11-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I've been setting aside a small portion of my allowance since the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. With interest, I now have enough to buy multiple luxury boxes.

Bowser
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I've been setting aside a small portion of my allowance since the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. With interest, I now have enough to buy multiple luxury boxes.

Dane would like to take a loan out from you.

TinyEvel
11-29-2010, 10:01 PM
I just got two free tickets to the SD/KC game on 12/2 (thank you, CBS!) so, this might be the AFCW championship game, IMO.

Bearcat
11-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I just got two free tickets to the SD/KC game on 12/2 (thank you, CBS!) so, this might be the AFCW championship game, IMO.

Me! Me! Pick me!

I'll bring a case of your favorite KC BBQ sauce, I'll laugh at all of your jokes, and I'm experienced at burning Chargers hats!

OnTheWarpath58
11-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Congrats, but you might want to check the date on those tickets.

:p

teedubya
11-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Me! Me! Pick me!

I'll bring a case of your favorite KC BBQ sauce, I'll laugh at all of your jokes, and I'm experienced at burning Chargers hats!

88TG88
11-29-2010, 11:29 PM
$0/week

Go over to Dane's and take a bit of his millions he won't miss it.

I'm gonna go with this plan.

Buck
11-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Sweet.

The game is on 12/12 though.

See you there?

KCFTW
11-30-2010, 01:12 AM
We will need at least 11 wins, and even that might not be enough.

Either we beat San Diego, or we hope either Pittsburgh or New York falls apart in a major way.

Sure would suck to win 11 games and not make the playoffs...

Nzoner
11-30-2010, 09:05 AM

If the team is fortunate enough to make the play-offs and it's in KC I think you know a CPer who has a closet full of winter Chiefs gear.

TinyEvel
12-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Okay, so, THANKS YOU OAKLAND! Our outlook just got a notch better. I can book a non-refundable on Southwest right now for $314, or wait and potentially pay $940.

Oh what to do?!?

Do we know whether our game would be the Saturday or the Sunday game? Are the games all on Sunday that weekend?

grandllama
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Okay, so, THANKS YOU OAKLAND! Our outlook just got a notch better. I can book a non-refundable on Southwest right now for $314, or wait and potentially pay $940.

Oh what to do?!?

Do we know whether our game would be the Saturday or the Sunday game? Are the games all on Sunday that weekend?

So just fly in on Friday ;-)

cdcox
12-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Oh what to do?!?

60% chance we make the playoffs, so the smart money buys the ticket.

kysirsoze
12-05-2010, 05:14 PM
60% chance we make the playoffs, so the smart money buys the ticket.

God that would be a depressing trip if we don't. :doh!:

Cave Johnson
12-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Oh what to do?!?

Sat and Sunday. You'd have to fly Friday to be safe.

Count Zarth
12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm going to take the money I won from a Broncos fan today, and spend it on my playoff ticket.

Schadenfreude.

kysirsoze
12-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm actually going to be in KC over wild card weekend. As much as I would love for us to pull the round 1 bye, (unlikely but possible) I would kill to be at a Chiefs playoff game.

TinyEvel
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
well crap.
Maybe I just hold out, when we make it I'll be so happy $1000 for a plane fare might not even matter. Though, it would set me back one month in my Ferrari 360 savings fund...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ferrari-360-2-owner-360-Modena-F1-recent-major-and-clutch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483de4a807QQitemZ310276040711QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_2937wt_814

TinyEvel
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Or, this 996 is pretty tight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-GT3-2004-Porsche-911-GT3-996-GT-3-Low-Miles-Trades-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c58e148d3QQitemZ190469720275QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_4195wt_1005

TinyEvel
12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
w000000t! :thumb:

It's ON baby!

So, looks like I'm flying in Southwest around 6 pm Friday and leaving Sunday night.
I still got the $336 round trip rate and didn't want to risk waiting and having the fare go up to $900.

Now, I need some CP social chairpersons to help me plan the weekend, get tix ,etc.

PLAYOFFS BAY BAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!H!H!H!H!H!H!!!?!?!??!?!!?!?FTW B B B Q!!!!!

OnTheWarpath58
12-26-2010, 08:26 PM

It's ON baby!

So, looks like I'm flying in Southwest around 6 pm Friday and leaving Sunday night.
I still got the $336 round trip rate and didn't want to risk waiting and having the fare go up to $900.

Now, I need some CP social chairpersons to help me plan the weekend, get tix ,etc.

I may have a ticket for you. To be (hopefully quickly) determined.

I can't get up there on Friday, it's the wife's birthday. But if you want to split the cost of a hotel room on Saturday, I'm all for it.

What time does your flight leave Sunday? My only concern would be if we drew the 3:15 Sunday game.

Let me know if you're interested.

Call me back if you want, I left you a VM about a half hour ago.

Buck
12-26-2010, 08:28 PM

EPIC FAIL

TinyEvel
12-26-2010, 08:30 PM

I can't get up there on Friday, it's the wife's birthday. But if you want to split the cost of a hotel room on Saturday, I'm all for it.

What time does your flight leave Sunday? My only concern would be if we drew the 3:15 Sunday game.

OTW you are a stud. I must admit the Ameristar penny slots have been calling my name ever since that glorious night in September.

I'm going to book my flight the latest return on Sunday and no worries about any lodging and/or car issues. I'll either work it out or throw money at that issue.

I am just ****ing stoked right now, as we all are, I'm sure.

OnTheWarpath58
12-26-2010, 08:32 PM
OTW, you are a stud. I must admit the Ameristar penny slots have been calling my name ever since that glorious night in September.

I'm going to book my flight the latest return on Sunday and no worries about any lodging and/or car issues. I'll either work it out or throw money at that issue.

I am just fucking stoked right now, as we all are, I'm sure.

Edit your post, please.

Give me a call, lets talk.

TinyEvel
12-27-2010, 01:35 AM
OK, all set. Flight gets in at 5:25pm Friday night (Plaza, anyone?!?!?!) and leaves Sunday at 6:30 pm.

GO CHIIIIIEEEEFFFSSSSS!!!!!

teedubya
12-27-2010, 01:40 AM
What if the team plays at home Sunday at 3pm?

Count Zarth
12-27-2010, 01:41 AM
This is gonna be sweet. This is gonna be CP Bash II: The Quickening.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

http://i55.tinypic.com/141s4cj.jpg

Bowser
12-27-2010, 01:42 AM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJ_R-G_i4Xk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IJ_R-G_i4Xk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luv
12-27-2010, 01:48 AM

It's ON baby!

Sounds like a party I wish I could attend. Make sure to stop by the tailgate?

crazycoffey
12-27-2010, 01:48 AM

can you get another ticket or two or three?

TinyEvel
12-27-2010, 01:53 AM

T-Dub, Surely you are foggin' with tinyE?!?!?!?!?!?

If the game is a late Sunday game I will take my licks and buy another ticket.

It's worth it. So what if I have to wait another month to buy my Ferrari.
:D

Guru
12-27-2010, 04:14 AM
Hope to see ya there Tiny. I won't know about my ticket for another week or so.