PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Bowe scores three TDs as Chiefs dominate Seattle

Tribal Warfare
11-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Bowe scores three TDs as Chiefs dominate Seattle (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/28/2478637/dwaynes-world-chiefs-receiver.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

SEATTLE | This was the kind of game that, even a few weeks ago, the Chiefs might have lost. They might have froze in the pressure and reverted to 2009 form.

Not Sunday. Something happened to Kansas City at halftime in Seattle, in that oddly shaped stadium in the Pacific Northwest: The Chiefs turned the corner and began what looked like a sprint into the home stretch.

“I saw a team that willed this game to go the way that they wanted it to go,” coach Todd Haley said after the Chiefs’ 42-24 victory at Qwest Field. “We set our minds to it today at halftime, that we’re going to finish this thing.”

This didn’t look like the team that tripped over itself in losses at Oakland and Denver. It didn’t look like the group that lost four of five games on the road before this Sunday in Seattle. There were mistakes, sure. But whereas two blocked kicks might have doomed Kansas City before, the Chiefs kept churning Sunday. A quick Seahawks touchdown to start the second half might have been enough to shift momentum in the past, but the Chiefs shrugged it off and kept pulling away.

This was a signature victory, and it’s one that Kansas City has been waiting for all season. It was a road win, a blowout, against a division leader — erratic as the Seahawks have been.

The Chiefs answered questions about themselves Sunday. They proved some things to a locker room that needed some reinforcement. They proved that, at least on this day and at this point in the season, there’s more good about this team than bad.

“This is the right time for teams to start to play well and reach their potential,” running back Thomas Jones said. “I really don’t think that we’ve even come close to meeting our potential.”

If that’s true, then Sunday was a look into the future. Kansas City is a young team, but buried under some of that youth is a mountain of talent. Jamaal Charles. Dwayne Bowe. Matt Cassel. Derrick Johnson. Tamba Hali.

None has been perfect this year or ever, for that matter. But they seem to fit in this imperfect construct that the Chiefs are putting together. They seem to work in this puzzle, and Kansas City dominated Seattle and, even in those unavoidable moments of weakness, they kept pulling momentum back from the Seahawks.

“It’s definitely a change,” said Kendrick Lewis, who picked off Matt Hasselbeck for his first career interception. “You can definitely see it.

“We rallied around each other.”

This is the mark of a good team, and after games like this, Haley’s argument that the Chiefs aren’t there yet is becoming a much more difficult sell. Yes, there are flaws that need to be corrected, and yes, there will be harsh tests in the coming weeks. But when Kansas City failed in the past, Cassel wasn’t playing like this. Bowe wasn’t emerging into a superstar who — believe it — leads the NFL in touchdown receptions and shattered the franchise record Sunday for touchdown catches in a season. Forty-eight years ago, Chris Burford had 12 touchdown receptions in 14 games. Two generations later, Bowe — that mercurial, confusing, frustrating player for so long — has 14 scores in 11 games.

“He just keeps stacking good games on top of good games,” Haley said. “He’s setting that bar higher and higher.”

This game was different. It was the type that, a short time ago, there might have been promising things like Bowe’s performance — but it perhaps would have been the silver lining to a setback. Instead, it was motivation or validation or both Sunday, and every time Seattle tried to wrestle momentum from the Chiefs, it was Kansas City who refused let up.

“A test of your character,” Jones said.

It was during halftime, Lewis said, that players made their minds up that they’d finish this one. That’s what they failed to do against Houston and Oakland despite leading both games at the intermission.

“We got together,” Lewis said, “and said: ‘Look, man, we’ve got to get this win.’ ”

With 21 points in the fourth quarter, that’s what Kansas City did, and it suffocated Seattle’s comeback plans and extinguished doubt that the Chiefs are capable of a performance like this.

“We had to go out,” Haley said, “and put our mark on this game.”

With five games to go, the AFC West race still undecided and time still to spoil this, the Chiefs hope this one lingers. This is what they’d like to remember next week against Denver, the week after at San Diego, the week after that and the week after that.

“We just stuck together,” Jones said. “We just continued to stay focused and did the little things right.”

Phobia
11-29-2010, 02:39 AM
Signature game? I mean, I'm no negative nancy but it is the Seahawks. Let's get a signature game against somebody who isn't in the NFC Worst.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Signature game? I mean, I'm no negative nancy but it is the Seahawks. Let's get a signature game against somebody who isn't in the NFC Worst.

I think the point is that this was a division leader, on the road. And, the Seahawks were 4-1 at home.

So far, I think this is the signature win of the season so far.

Phobia
11-29-2010, 06:43 AM
They're 5-6 and they have the AFC Worst as the non-conference games. They're not a very good team. It's great that the Chiefs won and any win is a "quality win" but let's not put the Chiefs in the playoffs because they beat the Seahawks. They could very well get thumped by Denver again - the Bronco team which just lost handily to the Rams.

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 06:47 AM
There is no denying the quality of this win. Yes, the NFC West sucks, but Seattle is the leader in that division, and they don't lose at home. Their crowd was friggin' loud early on, and the Chiefs never got rattled by that. It was looking a little dicey right after the half, but the response by the Chiefs was something we've not seen in a long long time. I'm cautiously optimistic that we may actually be a good team. The key is keeping this up game after game. We won't win out, but we CAN win this division...that's a nice thought.

Earthling
11-29-2010, 07:02 AM
There is no denying the quality of this win. Yes, the NFC West sucks, but Seattle is the leader in that division, and they don't lose at home. Their crowd was friggin' loud early on, and the Chiefs never got rattled by that. It was looking a little dicey right after the half, but the response by the Chiefs was something we've not seen in a long long time. I'm cautiously optimistic that we may actually be a good team. The key is keeping this up game after game. We won't win out, but we CAN win this division...that's a nice thought.

I'm starting to think we will have to win out to win the division. Sure makes the loss at Oakland more of a bitter pill.

Rausch
11-29-2010, 07:15 AM
They're 5-6 and they have the AFC Worst as the non-conference games. They're not a very good team. It's great that the Chiefs won and any win is a "quality win" but let's not put the Chiefs in the playoffs because they beat the Seahawks. They could very well get thumped by Denver again - the Bronco team which just lost handily to the Rams.

I think we will lose to Denver.

I think we'll need to win Faider, Charger, and Lambs game to go.

And on a side note, how fucking sweet would it be to knock the Lambs out of the playoffs?...LMAO

PhillyChiefFan
11-29-2010, 07:31 AM

I agree. I thought after the blocked punt that the old Chiefs would emerge and curl up in the fetal position.

But the fought hard and came up big. The younger players are starting to get their feet under them and make plays. And Cassel, JC, and Bowe played unbelievably yesterday.

I said this in another thread, but I'm just happy we can realistically talk about the playoffs, when everyone and their brother said we wouldn't hit the 6 win mark.