11-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Now the 4th rated QB in the NFL

22 TD's
4 INT's
99.7 Rating

I think we may have a winner here! :thumb:

DBOSHO
11-29-2010, 06:49 AM
He has been pretty impressive the past 2 weeks, but you cant ignore the defenses he was playing against.

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 06:50 AM
He's got to finish the rest of the season not shitting the bed...and actually having a come from behind win where he takes the team on his shoulders and gets it done...then I'll say he's a good Quarterback. But for now, yeah, I'll say it looks like he might not suck.

suds79
11-29-2010, 06:55 AM
I've never seen anything like it.

I mean it's almost like the Matt Cassel from the beginning of the season to now are completely different guys.

I swear the Matt Cassel in the early part of the season would have flat out missed Bowe streaking down the sideline before. Now? He hits him right in stride for a TD.

There were several points in the game where you could see Matt going through his progressions and working to the checkdown or running it. I was thinking "who is this guy." Wasn't going through his progressions suppose to be his biggest weak spot? The early Matt would have certainly taken a sack or worse yet made a bad decision with an ill advised pass.

It's really amazing to see him improving as the season goes. Pretty impressive the last few weeks.

TheGuardian
11-29-2010, 07:04 AM
The third down play is the one that really won me over. That's a play he flat out does not make a month+ ago. He also threw the ball away yesterday instead of taking sacks, which was growth.

I'm on the Matty bandwagon. I like to see guys like Matt turn the corner, and I hope he has. As I have said all along, he appears to be liked by all of his coaches and teammates and is a worker, wants to win. It's easy to pull for a guy like that to me. So I'm good with Matt being the guy now.

PhillyChiefFan
11-29-2010, 07:18 AM

I mean it's almost like the Matt Cassel from the beginning of the season to now are completely different guys.

I swear the Matt Cassel in the early part of the season would have flat out missed Bowe streaking down the sideline before. Now? He hits him right in stride for a TD.

There were several points in the game where you could see Matt going through his progressions and working to the checkdown or running it. I was thinking "who is this guy." Wasn't going through his progressions suppose to be his biggest weak spot? The early Matt would have certainly taken a sack or worse yet made a bad decision with an ill advised pass.

It's really amazing to see him improving as the season goes. Pretty impressive the last few weeks.

Weis is working with him, and he is responding. It is great to see, he may have a few more bad games, but I am extremely impressed and am eating my words from the beginning of the season.

Hog Farmer
11-29-2010, 07:28 AM
He has definitely improved. I agree he needs to continue but if he has turned the corner then we just may have the "franchise Quarterback" we've all been hoping and praying for. With our running game what we need is a solid QB that doesnt make mistakes and that's what he's giving us.

the Talking Can
11-29-2010, 07:31 AM
best game as a Chief

Thig Lyfe
11-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Change the thread title to "MIGHT NOT suck" and I could get behind it.

Bane
11-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Lets see how he finishes up the season an then re group.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-29-2010, 07:41 AM
The main reason Matt Cassel is playing well now is because he reads Chiefsplanet

Bane
11-29-2010, 07:42 AM
The main reason Matt Cassel is playing well now is because he reads Chiefsplanet

And he has the best Twatter page ever!

ForeverChiefs58
11-29-2010, 07:42 AM
He has looked great and really played some smart football. If he can play that way against some division rivals esp. at SD I will be riding shotgun on the Cassel bandwagon.

Cave Johnson
11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
No, no, no. The reduced fumbles, sacks, and int's are all a mirage. Stats are for chumps.

There's no way a 28 year old QB can improve with playing time, continuity in a system, and better O-line play. Not possible.

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 07:49 AM
It was kinda funny listening to the announcers slobber all over him...

beach tribe
11-29-2010, 07:57 AM

It's his confidence. He's coming into his own people. Dude is checking off left, and right, calling out the defenses. He's poised, he's fiery, and most imortant of all, he's NOT SCARED. He just does not turn the ball over either.
I'm shocked! I'm this close to jumping on the band wagon with a #7 jersey.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, I'm gonna have to wait, and see how this thing unfolds. Lemme see what he can do against a D that is actually capable of scaring a QB.

1adam1238
11-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Absolutely better than the start of the season. He has worked hard and you have to like that. Confidence is really showing in his game. Hopefully that continues. Time for a lil payback to the donkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chiefs Rool
11-29-2010, 08:01 AM
he def needs to do it vs a good team, like SD. If he does that and doesn't choke in a crucial situation, I'll eat some crow. But he's definitely improving and thats good.

BigChiefTablet
11-29-2010, 08:10 AM
He is playing great and is continually improving. I like what I see. And while I understand and agree that it would be nice to see him do it against a tough defense, I'm not sure holding the Charger game over his head as a game where he needs to be great is particularly fair. Peyton Manning just laid an egg to that defense.

I hope he continues to play well, and I hope our team continues to play well. Personally I am more concerned about our special teams and our defense than anything else right now.

Hoover
11-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I's a bit surprised by all of those who are shocked at Cassel's play. The Matt Cassel we have witnessed in the last few weeks is the guy we traded a 2nd round pick for. He looks just like he did in New England. I think we tend to forget how fu@ked up this team was when Haley and Co. took it over. Obviously Cassel's crappy 2009 set him back, a lot of that might have been because he didn't have a full time offensive coordinator, solid offensive line play, a tight end with good hands, and a stud wideout. He has all of that now as well as the faith from his head coach.

The best thing about what's going on is that this team will be far better than the Trent Green/Dick Vermeil teams. Those were great offenses, and while I think Cassel can be as good as Green as well as our offense, we now seem to have found some balance.

It's exciting to be a Chiefs fan. I don't just want this team to win a Super Bowl, I want to experience everything it takes to get there, the highs and the lows. We know how the "lows" taste, now we are getting to savor the taste of winning. How sweet it is.

burt
11-29-2010, 08:27 AM
I am surprised to say, that I am cautiously optimistic

Pants
11-29-2010, 08:40 AM
He looked amazing against the 30th ranked Defense. It was better than what he looked like against the 32nd pass D when we played Houston. Let's see how he does against SD and their #1 ranked D before we start crowning him. There's progress, at least that's for sure.

mcan
11-29-2010, 08:51 AM
He looked amazing against the 30th ranked Defense. It was better than what he looked like against the 32nd pass D when we played Houston. Let's see how he does against SD and their #1 ranked D before we start crowning him. There's progress, at least that's for sure.

So, if you're really good for months at a time, but have a bad game against San Diego, then you suck?

So, Peyton Manning should just hang up the cleats then...

WebGem
11-29-2010, 08:57 AM
So, if you're really good for months at a time, but have a bad game against San Diego, then you suck?

This.

Pants
11-29-2010, 09:04 AM

No, there's a difference between looking all pro against the worst defenses in the league and looking all pro against the #1 D in the league. I'm not asking him to be perfect against SD, all I'm asking him to do is not shit his pants, see all his receivers, step up in the pocket and not panic.

TheGuardian
11-29-2010, 09:09 AM
No, there's a difference between looking all pro against the worst defenses in the league and looking all pro against the #1 D in the league. I'm not asking him to be perfect against SD, all I'm asking him to do is not shit his pants, see all his receivers, step up in the pocket and not panic.

Manning shit his pants last night. Should he retire?

Pants
11-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Manning shit his pants last night. Should he retire?

Manning has been carrying his team on his shoulders for years. Manning has a SB ring. Manning had 0 running game last night and had to force passes and the D knew it. Look, this is a silly argument. If you think you can crown Cassel as the franchise QB after he got done raping the 30th ranked D while his running backs ran for 200+ yards, then be my guest. All I'm saying is that I like the progress I'm seeing, but I'm not ready to crown him.

Mr. Laz
11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
*****Official Matt Cassel DOES NOT suck thread *****
I do NOT approve this message /mecca

Molitoth
11-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm liking what Cassel is doing these past 2 games... if he can keep it up I will gladly jump on the wagon.

Lately he is a completely diff QB out there.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Two unlikely things have contributed to his development. #1) The Chiefs were blown out in Denver. This allowed the Chiefs to throw with abandon. This allowed him to get some confidence.

#2) McCluster is out. McCluster stretches the field horizontally. It allowed the Chiefs to run the ball without throwing it much. He also tended to draw the coverage away from the TE.

I think that when McCluster gets back, the offense will be even more difficult to stop. I imagine that McCluster will be a huge weapon in the next few games, as Bowe and Moeaki will be stretching the coverage down the middel and down the sideline.

ReynardMuldrake
11-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Matt is really showing some poise out there. He is getting good reads, his accuracy is improving, and he knows when to scramble! The confidence he's gained these past few games has been huge.

Pants
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Matt is really showing some poise out there. He is getting good reads, his accuracy is improving, and he knows when to scramble! The confidence he's gained these past few games has been huge.

Precisely.

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Two unlikely things have contributed to his development. #1) The Chiefs were blown out in Denver. This allowed the Chiefs to throw with abandon. This allowed him to get some confidence.

#2) McCluster is out. McCluster stretches the field horizontally. It allowed the Chiefs to run the ball without throwing it much. He also tended to draw the coverage away from the TE.

I think that when McCluster gets back, the offense will be even more difficult to stop. I imagine that McCluster will be a huge weapon in the next few games, as Bowe and Moeaki will be stretching the coverage down the middel and down the sideline.

When is he coming back? He's pretty much been out for half the season...which makes him a non-factor this year. Maybe if we make the playoffs, it would be nice to throw in that wrinkle.

ReynardMuldrake
11-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Precisely.

I would not have predicted it a month ago, but right now Cassel is a good QB. I only hope he can stay consistent.

The Bad Guy
11-29-2010, 09:47 AM
It's impossible. I had ROR tell me 2 weeks ago that Cassel isn't making any progress.

Brock
11-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Manning has been carrying his team on his shoulders for years. Manning has a SB ring. Manning had 0 running game last night and had to force passes and the D knew it. Look, this is a silly argument. If you think you can crown Cassel as the franchise QB after he got done raping the 30th ranked D while his running backs ran for 200+ yards, then be my guest. All I'm saying is that I like the progress I'm seeing, but I'm not ready to crown him.

x2

Pants
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
It's impossible. I had ROR tell me 2 weeks ago that Cassel isn't making any progress.

He wasn't. That's why everyone is getting so excited - the last 2 weeks have given us hope.

JASONSAUTO
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I's a bit surprised by all of those who are shocked at Cassel's play. The Matt Cassel we have witnessed in the last few weeks is the guy we traded a 2nd round pick for. He looks just like he did in New England. .

THIS, actually he may be looking better that when he was in NE.

Fish
11-29-2010, 09:59 AM
It's clearly obvious that Cassel was replaced by a cybernetic unit at halftime in Denver. That's the only logical explanation. There's no way that the guy I've watched for the last 2 games is the same doofus I saw start the season. No way....

Well done Mr. Cassel. Well done indeed.

King_Chief_Fan
11-29-2010, 10:08 AM

and the audibles at the line were very good. he was actually reading the defense and making adjustments. The quick slants were a good adjustment

DBOSHO
11-29-2010, 10:18 AM
The play where he did a spin move, got away from the d-end and threw a pass to bowe for a first down on the run was incredibly impressive.

I was mind fucked.

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
It's impossible. I had ROR tell me 2 weeks ago that Cassel isn't making any progress.While his stats in Denver were garbage time, something clicked. He's on fire and I can only hope it continues. I've bitched as much as anyone about Cassel. I want Matt to prove me wrong on so many levels. I've never hated him. I've always loved his excitement on the field. When he ran past JC on that run to attempt to block, I swear It moved. :)

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2010, 10:23 AM
The play where he did a spin move, got away from the d-end and threw a pass to bowe for a first down on the run was incredibly impressive.

I was mind fucked.I'm still in awe over that play. Thats some shit you'd see Brees do. Hell, I'm not sure Rivers is capable of that.

Mr. Laz
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
He wasn't. That's why everyone is getting so excited - the last 2 weeks have given us hope.
actually it's more like 3 weeks ... our defense shit it's pants against denver, not cassel.

<table style="width: 519px; height: 147px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="cnnRow1"><td class="cnnCol0">Date</td> <td class="cnnCol1">Opp</td> <td class="cnnCol2">Cmp</td> <td class="cnnCol3">Att</td> <td class="cnnCol4">Pct</td> <td class="cnnCol5">Yds</td> <td class="cnnCol6">Yds/Att</td> <td class="cnnCol7">TD</td> <td class="cnnCol8">Int</td> <td class="cnnCol9"> 1st</td> <td class="cnnCol10"> Sck
</td> <td class="cnnCol11"> _Rtg</td> </tr> <tr class="cnnRow2"> <td class="cnnCol0">Nov. 14 </td> <td class="cnnCol1">Denver Broncos (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/broncos/index.html)</td> <td class="cnnCol2">33 </td> <td class="cnnCol3">53 </td> <td class="cnnCol4">62.3 </td> <td class="cnnCol5"> 469 </td> <td class="cnnCol6">8.8 </td> <td class="cnnCol7">4 </td> <td class="cnnCol8">0 </td> <td class="cnnCol9">24 </td> <td class="cnnCol10"> 4 </td> <td class="cnnCol11">116.0 </td> </tr> <tr class="cnnRow2"> <td class="cnnCol0">Nov. 21 </td> <td class="cnnCol1">Arizona Cardinals (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/cardinals/index.html)</td> <td class="cnnCol2">15 </td> <td class="cnnCol3">24 </td> <td class="cnnCol4">62.5 </td> <td class="cnnCol5"> 193 </td> <td class="cnnCol6">8.0 </td> <td class="cnnCol7">2 </td> <td class="cnnCol8">0 </td> <td class="cnnCol9">8 </td> <td class="cnnCol10"> 0 </td> <td class="cnnCol11">115.5 </td> </tr> <tr class="cnnRow2"> <td class="cnnCol0">Nov. 28 </td> <td class="cnnCol1">Seattle Seahawks (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/seahawks/index.html)</td> <td class="cnnCol2">22 </td> <td class="cnnCol3">32 </td> <td class="cnnCol4">68.8 </td> <td class="cnnCol5"> 233 </td> <td class="cnnCol6">7.3 </td> <td class="cnnCol7">4 </td> <td class="cnnCol8">0 </td> <td class="cnnCol9">15 </td> <td class="cnnCol10"> 0 </td> <td class="cnnCol11">129.3 </td></tr></tbody></table>

FishingRod
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
I have been a fairly harsh critic of his inability to recognize when to just get rid of the ball and his lack of consistency and accuracy particularly downfield. He has shown a great deal of improvement in all areas of his game. I will gladly accept more helpings of Crow.

Extra Point
11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
It was kinda funny listening to the announcers slobber all over him...

Gannon worked with Cassel this past summer. I'm sure he got paid twice for slobbering.

kysirsoze
11-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Look, I'm as happy as anybody, but remember when our defense was truly atrocious? The "career day defense?" Every team that played us would have their QB just blow up and suddenly the league was taking notice of a star in the making! Then that same team played a playoff contender and it was business as usual.

I don't think this is as extreme a case as that, and I have seen some great play from Cassel. I'm just saying there is legitimacy to the concerns over the teams he's played. I can't wait for the SD game. He doesn't have to do it all, but it will be a pretty good indicator of future playoff success.

DenverDanChiefsFan
11-29-2010, 11:51 AM
He's got to finish the rest of the season not shitting the bed...and actually having a come from behind win where he takes the team on his shoulders and gets it done...then I'll say he's a good Quarterback. But for now, yeah, I'll say it looks like he might not suck.I just don't understand this.

Why wouldn't you want to play good the entire game? What is the fascination so many people have with comng from behind? Comeback wins mean the team played like shit for a portion of the game.

Personally, I would rather our team play a good game from start to finish and NOT have to come from behind. If he can do this consistently I will say he's a good QB. Anyway you look at it, he has improved since the coming to KC.

LaChapelle
11-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I hope they have enough confidence in him to get some young competition behind him
and I don't mean that in a backhanded way at all

KCtotheSB
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I just don't understand this.

Why wouldn't you want to play good the entire game? What is the fascination so many people have with comng from behind? Comeback wins mean the team played like shit for a portion of the game.

Personally, I would rather our team play a good game from start to finish and NOT have to come from behind. If he can do this consistently I will say he's a good QB. Anyway you look at it, he has improved since the coming to KC.

Nope.

Gotta spot a team 14-21 points in the 1st quarter so we know what we got under center. Don't you know that's how you can 100% certify the legitimacy of having a bonafide "quality" quarterback?

Slainte
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
MC7--Motherfuck the haters and their families too. Now let's talk about the game...

KurtCobain
11-29-2010, 12:04 PM
i want to take matt out for dinner sometime and tell him he's dirty.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
11-29-2010, 12:06 PM
This thread should be at least 5 pages by now...

i think people are scared to post in it...

jspchief
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I just don't understand this.

Personally, I would rather our team play a good game from start to finish and NOT have to come from behind. If he can do this consistently I will say he's a good QB. Anyway you look at it, he has improved since the coming to KC.I don't think he's saying he actually wants to see our team in that position. What he is saying is that until Cassel shows he can do that, he's still reluctant to get overly excited about him as a franchise type QB.

The reality is, at some point in the regular season or play-offs, this team is likely to face more adversity than Cassel has performed well under to this point. Whether it be coming from behind or stepping up when our running game isn't working.

TheGuardian
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Nope.

Gotta spot a team 14-21 points in the 1st quarter so we know what we got under center. Don't you know that's how you can 100% certify the legitimacy of having a bonafide "quality" quarterback?

We already did that. Spotted Denver 21 in the first quarter, then outscored em 29-28 the rest of the way.

Hog Farmer
11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
This thread should be at least 5 pages by now...

i think people are scared to post in it...

Hell, I was hesitant about starting it , that's for sure but I said fuckit. Cassel deserves his props. He and Bowe are in "THE ZONE".

Pants
11-29-2010, 12:31 PM
We already did that. Spotted Denver 21 in the first quarter, then outscored em 29-28 the rest of the way.

Dude, you know what he means. That game was lost and Cassel had 0 pressure on him to perform. Garbage stats are garbage. We want to see Cassel perform like Schaub did against us earlier this year. PUT THE TEAM ON HIS SHOULDERS AND CARRIED IT TO A WIN.

Wallcrawler
11-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Dude, you know what he means. That game was lost and Cassel had 0 pressure on him to perform. Garbage stats are garbage. We want to see Cassel perform like Schaub did against us earlier this year. PUT THE TEAM ON HIS SHOULDERS AND CARRIED IT TO A WIN WITH THE HELP OF SOME BS PI CALLS BY THE OFFICIALS.

fyp

Pants
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
fyp

LMAO

Point taken.

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't think he's saying he actually wants to see our team in that position. What he is saying is that until Cassel shows he can do that, he's still reluctant to get overly excited about him as a franchise type QB.

The reality is, at some point in the regular season or play-offs, this team is likely to face more adversity than Cassel has performed well under to this point. Whether it be coming from behind or stepping up when our running game isn't working.

That's exactly what I meant. Nobody WANTS to see us have to come from behind, that's just ridiculous. But, it's the NFL, and it's gonna happen.

Rausch
11-29-2010, 01:06 PM
The last two games have been shockingly.........uncharacteristic.

And impressive.

This last game it looked like Casshole was throwing fucking hate-lazers everywhere.

Haley, you can do this, find your inner-total-a$$hole and make him angry and resentful every week...

TheGuardian
11-29-2010, 01:57 PM
What's funny is, Tom Brady and Welker don't look so dumb for saying how great they thought his arm and accuracy is.

Pat fans will tell you that CAssel got better as the season went on once he got comfortable. And that appears to be what he's doing now. He throws with more accuracy and velocity because he's confident. Makes all the difference in the world.

ChiefsCountry
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Pat fans will tell you that CAssel got better as the season went on once he got comfortable. And that appears to be what he's doing now. He throws with more accuracy and velocity because he's confident. Makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah he beat down the NFC West and got his ass handed to him by the top teams in the AFC that year. Out of the AFC playoff teams he only beat Miami, which was a fluke team.

Cassel had his best game by far but he still needs to beat the top dogs in the conference and win in January. Thats the only thing that matters.

TheGuardian
11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah he beat down the NFC West and got his ass handed to him by the top teams in the AFC that year. Out of the AFC playoff teams he only beat Miami, which was a fluke team.

Cassel had his best game by far but he still needs to beat the top dogs in the conference and win in January. Thats the only thing that matters.

It was also his first year starting you douche.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
It was also his first year starting you douche.

Exactly, he hadn't started a game since high school that year.

tk13
11-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Seattle's defense isn't that good, but that's a brutally tough place to play. Philip Rivers didn't win there. Cassel went in there played great in a very difficult road environment. Good for him.

Brock
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Seattle's defense isn't that good, but that's a brutally tough place to play. Philip Rivers didn't win there. Cassel went in there played great in a very difficult road environment. Good for him.

It's a quality win.

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
It's a quality win.It is. I dont care where you play, its not easy to win on the road in this league.

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Dude, you know what he means. That game was lost and Cassel had 0 pressure on him to perform. Garbage stats are garbage. We want to see Cassel perform like Schaub did against us earlier this year. PUT THE TEAM ON HIS SHOULDERS AND CARRIED IT TO A WIN.The Schaub example is perfect. I'd love to know that Cassel is capable of this.

The Bad Guy
11-29-2010, 03:18 PM

It's hilarious that some of you act like beating the Seahawks in Seattle is some easy task.

AndChiefs
11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
It's hilarious that some of you act like destroying the Seahawks in Seattle is some easy task.

FYP

DeezNutz
11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Historically, the Chiefs haven't played real well in Seattle, either, so this was a very solid win. ST aside, things went extremely well.

Surprised that ST breakdowns haven't been discussed a bit more, though.

jd1020
11-29-2010, 03:29 PM
When the run game is stuffed and Cassel can throw for 40+ and keep the the opposing teams offense on the sideline I'll say he doesnt suck. Right now he's taking advantage of teams defenses gearing 100% for the run. That's what every QB playing in the NFL should be able to do. I'm still waiting for a game where the run gets stuffed and Cassel steps up to the plate. He has yet to do that.

patteeu
11-29-2010, 03:34 PM
No, no, no. The reduced fumbles, sacks, and int's are all a mirage. Stats are for chumps.

There's no way a 28 year old QB can improve with playing time, continuity in a system, and better O-line play. Not possible.

This + :facepalm: + some name calling

tk13
11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
I guess I kinda see the point... but the running game is such an important part of what this team does. I don't know why on earth people would want to see what happens in a game where Charles is stuffed. We are going to lose, that's what will happen. If Cassel succeeds in that situation, it should open up the running game.

jd1020
11-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I guess I kinda see the point... but the running game is such an important part of what this team does. I don't know why on earth people would want to see what happens in a game where Charles is stuffed. We are going to lose, that's what will happen. I think that whole idea is backwards... if Cassel succeeds in that situation, it should open up the running game.

Charles is going to get stuffed in the playoffs. Thats why. Is Cassel good enough to open the box? Nope.

Hog Farmer
11-29-2010, 03:44 PM
When the run game is stuffed and Cassel can throw for 40+ and keep the the opposing teams offense on the sideline I'll say he doesnt suck. Right now he's taking advantage of teams defenses gearing 100% for the run. That's what every QB playing in the NFL should be able to do. I'm still waiting for a game where the run gets stuffed and Cassel steps up to the plate. He has yet to do that.

No , but it looks like it can happen now . I can't remember him calling audibles before like he did in Seattle. Maybe, just maybe , Haley has a plan of evolution for him throughout this season.

el borracho
11-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Haha. I really wish I could be as optimistic as some of you.

What is more likely?

a. Cassel magically transformed two weeks ago into a top 5 QB
b. The last two opponents were not competitive

By the way, there is no favorable comparison that can be drawn between Peyton Manning and Matt Cassel. One is a once-in-a-lifetime, first ballot hall of fame player that has excelled at the sport his entire life and the other is a career backup that has had some limited success.

Brainiac
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Haha. I really wish I could be as optimistic as some of you.

What is more likely?

a. Cassel magically transformed two weeks ago into a top 5 QB
b. The last two opponents were not competitive

By the way, there is no favorable comparison that can be drawn between Peyton Manning and Matt Cassel. One is a once-in-a-lifetime, first ballot hall of fame player that has excelled at the sport his entire life and the other is a career backup that has had some limited success.
There's only one problem with your take on this. Cassel's numbers for the entire season so far are 22 TD passes versus 4 interceptions.

That's not for two games. That's eleven games into the season. He's no Philip Rivers, but at least he takes care of the football.

Earthling
11-30-2010, 09:58 AM
There's only one problem with your take on this. Cassel's numbers for the entire season so far are 22 TD passes versus 4 interceptions.

That's not for two games. That's eleven games into the season. He's no Philip Rivers, but at least he takes care of the football.

This. :thumb:

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
I am going to chime in real quick and tell everyone a little secret about why San Diego is #1 in offense and #1 in defense and 6-5 overall...

Their dumbass special teams play have put them in SUCH ridiculous disadvantages all year long that Rivers has had to throw his way back into games while the other team's (like KC, Seattle, St. Louis and Oakland) try and milk the clock towards victory...we saw it 1st hand week 1 on MNF...

I promise you that SD being #1 on defense isn't really indicative of how good they are as a defense...they are probably comparable to us defensively...a few nice players, but a few weaknesses nonetheless...and we're probably one of the toughest NFL teams to gameplan for...especially if Cassel/Bowe continue this kind of play.

(Offensively SD is damn good, so being #1 is probably pretty close to where they should be...especially with the consistency Tolbert has displayed)

Brock
11-30-2010, 10:11 AM
That's some real insightful stuff.

Short Leash Hootie
11-30-2010, 10:16 AM
That's some real insightful stuff.

Thanks.

cdcox
11-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Charles is going to get stuffed in the playoffs. Thats why. Is Cassel good enough to open the box? Nope.

I agree with everything up to the "Nope". I'd say, "Let's see." He's shown enough lately that I don't consider it a foregone conclusion. If a team is throwing 8 in the box to stop the run, there are a lot of opportunities in the passing game. All he has to do is make some good reads, manage the pressure, and hit the receiver. If he is successful in exploiting that, it will force teams to go back to a conventional defense and the run will be there again. I have a healthy bit of skepticism whether he can do it, but I won't flat out say that he can't.

InChiefsHell
11-30-2010, 10:51 AM

One would think that Weis would have some imagination and creativity to try to complement the run game (or take pressure off of it) via screens and slants and what have you. Play action roll outs...Cassel has shown an ability to be mobile when needed. It's not a guarantee, but neither is it that Cassel will shit himself in those situations. Plus, we seem to have a better passing game of late, and it keeps getting better.

...is he a playoff caliber QB? Won't know till he gets there, but I like his chances way more now that I did at the beginning of this season.

Saul Good
11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
If Cassel can't take a 4-12 team that is built solely to run the ballto a Super Bowl by throwing the ball over the yard after our running game gets shut down in the playoffs, he sucks.

petegz28
11-30-2010, 10:56 AM
We were forced to throw the ball a ton against Denver. Now even though Denver was playing a little soft at that point sometimes that is what a player needs to get his groove going.

And this Bs about he is doing it against bad defenses is just that. He is doing to bad defenses what a good QB is supposed to do against bad defenses.

el borracho
11-30-2010, 06:31 PM

6 touchdowns in the last two games against crappy opponents and 4 the week before in 45 minutes of garbage time. Obviously you cannot subtract 10 touchdowns from his production, but you can consider the situations.

Like I said, I wish I could be as optimistic as you (and I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong), but I find it very difficult to believe. Matt has a lot of work to do before I will consider him a legit QB.

Hog Farmer
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
6 touchdowns in the last two games against crappy opponents and 4 the week before in 45 minutes of garbage time. Obviously you cannot subtract 10 touchdowns from his production, but you can consider the situations.

Like I said, I wish I could be as optimistic as you (and I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong), but I find it very difficult to believe. Matt has a lot of work to do before I will consider him a legit QB.

And what would you have expected him to do the last three games dumbass! Look at all the QB's out there that played a shitty team that didn't do shit.

tonyetony
11-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Would you have found it very difficult to believe before the season started that he would be ranked top 5 in passer rating at this point? me too

el borracho
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
To be honest he exceeded my expectations the last two games. That still does not prove anything, IMO, given his history and the level of competition.

el borracho
11-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Would you have found it very difficult to believe before the season started that he would be ranked top 5 in passer rating at this point? me too

Absolutely, yes. All I am saying is that it takes more than two games against inferior competition to prove anything. Stats can be very misleading. Denver was leading by 5 touchdowns at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and the Cardinals and Seahawks combine for an 8-14 record. It's just not enough, IMO, to erase everything else we have seen from Matt.

Hog Farmer
11-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Blah Blah Blah

crossbow
11-30-2010, 07:13 PM
This argument reminds me of the "Twelve Angry Men" movie. The jurors all knew the defendant was guilty and just wanted to vote for his execution and go home. One guy persistently held his ground until they all carefully reviewed the evidence and decided that "doubt" was possible.

I don't know if Matt is an all pro or not. BUT! I saw what he looked like last year and I see what he looks like now. The difference is astonishing. To improve this much WITHOUT the entire Chiefs fans hating you is one thing but the guy is doing it under immense pressure. The man has unmatched heart. I hated him too but not any more. I have never been so glad to be so wrong before.

Now lets draft another pass rusher and get on with a playoff win.

Pawnmower
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
This argument reminds me of the "Twelve Angry Men" movie. The jurors all knew the defendant was guilty and just wanted to vote for his execution and go home. One guy persistently held his ground until they all carefully reviewed the evidence and decided that "doubt" was possible.

I don't know if Matt is an all pro or not. BUT! I saw what he looked like last year and I see what he looks like now. The difference is astonishing. To improve this much WITHOUT the entire Chiefs fans hating you is one thing but the guy is doing it under immense pressure. The man has unmatched heart. I hated him too but not any more. I have never been so glad to be so wrong before.

Now lets draft another pass rusher and get on with a playoff win.

SOmebody rep this man.....I like his style and am fresh out