PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Massey: Smith makes most of his chance to carry the ball

Tribal Warfare
11-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Smith makes most of his chance to carry the ball (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/11/28/2478476/smith-makes-most-of-his-chance.html)
By MATT MASSEY
Special to The Star

SEATTLE | For Shaun Smith, he hopes that this is the beginning of “The Fridge” II.

The 6-foot-2, 325-pound Smith followed in the footsteps of Chicago Bears William “Refrigerator” Perry in 1985 as a defensive lineman turned ball carrier.

Smith prepared during the week to become a running back on Sunday — for just one play — and he delivered a touchdown on his first NFL carry. It was his first score since high school.

Smith bulled in for a 1-yard TD , playing a very big role in the Chiefs’ 42-24 triumph over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Qwest Field.

The score was complete with the exception any sort of celebration dance. It made him the second current Chiefs defensive player, along with linebacker Mike Vrabel, to score on offense.

“I was shocked it was called this first time,” said Smith, who also got his first sack of the season and was in on three tackles on defense. “When they called it, I knew I had to get the 1 yard and I knew if I didn’t get it, they wouldn’t call it again.”

The role of ball carrier is nothing new to Smith, who said he last scored a TD in his final game at Wichita Heights High School as a 280-pound tailback. Smith, a defensive tackle, could see the possibility of finding the end zone after getting to run the play in practice during the week.

“I wore No. 6, because of Jerome Bettis,” said Smith, a sixth-year veteran out of South Carolina. “He was my idol. He’s still my idol. My last touchdown was in 1999 against Wichita East. I actually had two or three touchdowns, and I probably had 100 yards rushing and we won the game.”

When Smith informed his daughters Markaylon, 11, and Autumn, 5, they figured he better start working on his dance moves. That would be the only thing they’d be disappointed about in regards to their father’s memorable day.

“It was a good experience, and I told my little girls I might get the possibility to run the ball,” Smith said. “They wanted me to do a dance. I didn’t do a dance. I was just happy to get in and glad we got the ‘W.’ ”

The lobbying for more time on offense could begin this week with offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

“Now that I have a touchdown, I can finally tell Charlie to put me in the short-yardage package a little more,” Smith said. “I’ll see if I can get the ball more and see what happens. It was fun.”

The nicknames also are beginning to fly around the Chiefs’ locker room — and it’s likely one has stuck.

“Right now, they call me, ‘The Deep Freeze,’ ” Smith said. “We worked on the play and they just happened to give it to me.”

Vrabel has two touchdown catches with the Chiefs and 10 in his career. So can Smith talk Weis into a pass instead a short run for a score?

“I actually see that,” Smith said. “(Vrabel) was one of the first ones that congratulated me, him and Thomas (Jones). It’s funny I actually got to score, because in training camp, OTAs and all that, Thomas and I worked together and we talked about it.

“We talked about me blocking for him and eventually me scoring and how crazy that would be. It’s not crazy any more. It’s like a dream come true.”

Chiefs kicker Ryan Succop certainly wouldn’t want to see Smith steaming toward him at the goal line, but was happy for the big fella.

“That’s a big ’ol boy back there running the ball, isn’t it?” Succop said. “That was neat. It definitely fires up our team.”

The touchdown ball will end up in safe hands in the end, but he just doesn’t know who exactly will be the recipient just yet.

“I’m trying to debate that,” Smith said. “Do I give it to my little girl (Autumn) or my mom? Most likely I’ll give it to my little girl for Christmas.”

Mr. Laz
11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
a good way to bring the offense and defense together by using defenders on offense like that.

It's fun and makes it more a team :clap:

SNR
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
“That’s a big ’ol boy back there running the ball, isn’t it?” Succop said. “That was neat. It definitely fires up our team.”
Gosh golly, Mr. Haley! That sure was neat-o!

siberian khatru
11-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Who's he calling "boy"?

SUCCOP'S RACIST COMMENT DIVIDES CHIEFS LOCKER ROOM

Molitoth
11-29-2010, 10:42 AM
They should save this play again for a crucial TD against a strong opponent.... only they should fake the handoff to Smith and bootleg it with Moeaki running in the back of the endzone for a Cassel run/pass option.

Extra Point
11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Hope his daughters and his Mom each get a pigskin for Christmas.

wildcat09
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
A good friend of mine that I played football with in college was in the same backfield as Smith in High School. He told me this summer and I didn't believe him at first. I saw this happen yesterday and I couldn't call my buddy fast enough. That was sweet.

Pushead2
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Who's he calling "boy"?

SUCCOP'S RACIST COMMENT DIVIDES CHIEFS LOCKER ROOM

ROFL

Hoover
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
They should save this play again for a crucial TD against a strong opponent.... only they should fake the handoff to Smith and bootleg it with Moeaki running in the back of the endzone for a Cassel run/pass option.

No, next time they put him it Cassel will probably play action to Moeaki

BigCatDaddy
11-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm sure there has been, but has there ever been a heavier guy rush for a TD?

Oxford
11-29-2010, 12:07 PM

No they should put him as the lead back in the power I next week, and jam it down Denvers throat.

Rausch
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM

THIS is the offense I love thinking about.

What if Deesnuts and Vrabel both line up?

DE/FB up the gut? Pass to LB/TE Vrabel?

Pitch to the outside?

PA pass to a WR?

58kcfan89
11-29-2010, 12:48 PM
A good friend of mine that I played football with in college was in the same backfield as Smith in High School. He told me this summer and I didn't believe him at first. I saw this happen yesterday and I couldn't call my buddy fast enough. That was sweet.

That's awesome. I was there about 7 years too late, but went to the same HS as Smith and am pretty sure he's the only Heights player to play in the NFL.

His TD was probably my favorite play of the year.

Bob Dole
11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
No they should put him as the lead back in the power I next week, and jam it down Denvers throat.

Pretty sure they already did that the previous week.

ElGringo
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow, I didn't even know until I read this article he was from Wichita....makes it even better.

Molitoth
11-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Isn't that what I just said? Only I added in more details... Bootleg with a pass/run option for Cassel with Moeaki running the back of the end zone.

cdirty
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow, I didn't even know until I read this article he was from Wichita....makes it even better.

i think he was born in NYC and moved to wichita or something.

Rausch
11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
i think he was born in NYC and moved to wichita or something.

I'm pretty sure it was an exchange program type of thing.

There was this kid who mastered their language and battle strategy and in turn they sent us a warrior ...

WHO COULD TWIST AND GRAB SCROTE WITHOUT EQUAL!1!11!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H7NaxBxFWSo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H7NaxBxFWSo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Oxford
11-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Pretty sure they already did that the previous week.

I mean every play, until they can't even get up.................