PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Thanksgiving mishaps

wildcat09
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Anybody have any stories to share of Thanksgiving gone bad?

I have one......

I was smoking a turkey this year. I have a propane smoker (I know, I know.....upgrading this spring) and realized the temp was gradually falling. I could hear the propane coming out so I checked the burner. The fire was not lit so I went to turn the ignitor and when I came to I was about 10' away from the smoker on my back. My brother said he heard a loud boom and looked outside and he saw a fire ball and me flying backwards. The door of the smoker had been blown off and it knocked me back. We put the door back on and continued to smoke the turkey. It turned out great but my neck was killing me the rest of the weekend. Looking back it was not a wise decision to do what I did. Total brain fart......

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Fuck. You're lucky you are able to post this.

chasedude
11-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you were close to a Darwin award there.

Dave Lane
11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Was the watch hurt?

Groves
11-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I can't remember if it was Thanksgiving or Christmas. Twas probably 12 years ago. I was living in Nebraska at the time, and came home to STL for the holiday.

I somehow managed to convince my family (2 parents, 4 sibs) to let me cook a goose for the meal. I had some great big honkers who succumbed to an ounce of lead from my ithaca bottom eject 12ga. (great for lefties)

This is not a wild-game eating tribe I come from, so I was surprised to get the green light. I totally mucked it up.

I don't know what came over me, but I left it in the brine for an extra day. It cooked just perfect and looked a treat, but oh my, there's no stopping the salt from infiltrating.

It was a puckermaker. Way too salty.

In another non-typical move for my family, I didn't get much grief for it. Not then or since, really. Maybe because I had the scattergun in my hand during the meal.

Here's the takeaway: Don't overbrine your meat.

ChiefsNow
11-29-2010, 01:47 PM
worthless without pics

Ugly Duck
11-29-2010, 01:48 PM
No dramatic mishap like the OP, but I learned my lesson about grabbing some random turkey recipe off the internet. Used a recipe from two guys that love each other.... butterflied turkey with cranberry/molasses glaze. It sucked. Actually went & got another turkey the day after Thanksgiving & cooked it the real way just to show folks I could do it.

Buck
11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
It got down to about 40 here so I was shivering pretty bad.

PunkinDrublic
11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Getting drunk and trying to play football in the backyard= Total fail.

burt
11-29-2010, 01:52 PM
It got down to about 40 here so I was shivering pretty bad.

Yeah, I understand. I bet it dropped down to 73 here.....

tooge
11-29-2010, 02:06 PM
my son got grandma to agree to make squirrell and dumplings along with the turkey if he could get him one. I took him out every morning and evening for three days and damned if we didn't see a single one. I normally can't get those little bastards away from my treestand. Grandma and the rest of the inlaws were very pleased to hear of my young hunters lack of success, and it was turkey as usual. Not really tragic, but it was the talk of the family for 3 days.

Sofa King
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
My favorite uncle died just before thanksgiving... so we all got to look forward to our favorite holiday and by far the most memorable with him, without him... and then the next day was the wake and saturday was the funeral...

not really a mishap, but a holiday ruiner for sure.

MOhillbilly
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
My uncle burned the turkey up one year. It was on fire when they went to check it. Another year my grandpa got into a brandy drinkin contest with the nieghbor and my uncles had to drag him under the fence to get him home. grandma was not pleased.

And in houston one year my aunt turned a turkey pan full of hot grease on her arm. That one sucked cause it was just us. Lady is tough.

siberian khatru
11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Was the watch hurt?

LMAO

MOhillbilly
11-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Went to my northern relations one year for thanksgiving instead of the hillbilly ones. They had cold plates and little smokies.

Friggin rip. They will never hear the end of it. Now i do all the cooking when im up.

wildcat09
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Was the watch hurt?

luckily no......it was upstairs in its box. Thanks for the concern, though:thumb:

wildcat09
11-29-2010, 02:30 PM
****. You're lucky you are able to post this.

this.......there is a 10 min span that I don't remember. Kind of freaks me out.

seclark
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
last year, my 83 year old great uncle ate 7 pieces of pie. got him home just before he shit himself. i shut him down after 3 pieces this year, but the women sent him home w/a apple and a pecan pie. he's in heaven, and regular.
sec

ClevelandBronco
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Getting drunk and trying to play football in the backyard= Total fail.

I've been waiting for 30 years for my right testicle to come out from behind my left ear as the result of a crossing pattern that wasn't planned very well.

And from English to Hindi to English, that's "To my right testicle I've been waiting 30 years for a cross pattern for me that was very well planned as the result come out from behind the left ear."

Rausch
11-29-2010, 02:38 PM
this.......there is a 10 min span that I don't remember. Kind of freaks me out.

Whut?

wildcat09
11-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Whut?

from the time of the blast to the point I remember hearing my brother asking me if I am ok was about 10 minutes (according to my brother) and I don't remember any of it. He said he was trying to talk to me and I didn't respond.

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
from the time of the blast to the point I remember hearing my brother asking me if I am ok was about 10 minutes (according to my brother) and I don't remember any of it. He said he was trying to talk to me and I didn't respond.Sounds like you may have suffered a minor concussion. You should see your doctor.

wildcat09
11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you may have suffered a minor concussion. You should see your doctor.

That is exactly what my wife said. I had a couple of them playing football in college. I am pretty symptom free today but I still have a little bit of a headache.

Iowanian
11-29-2010, 04:17 PM
My favorite uncle died just before thanksgiving... so we all got to look forward to our favorite holiday and by far the most memorable with him, without him... and then the next day was the wake and saturday was the funeral...

not really a mishap, but a holiday ruiner for sure.

I can relate to this...
Buried one of my best friends the week of Thanksgiving from a death that could have been taken from these very pages...surreal. Thanksgiving Day, relative by marriage turns kid loose with weapon he had no business shooting without immediate, direct supervision, and he shot my mom's farm dog(on accident)...and then Friday, one of my younger brother's best friends....his very version of the friend I buried)and also a friend of mine...was in a bad accident and is in dire straits.

But for as bad as most people's holidays can appear to be, we're all more fortunate than many people, a lot closer than we realize.
A dry bird or a dropped pie are no big deal in the big picture. I'm glad the thread starter's story ends with only a family joke for the next 2 decades.

Appreciate your time with those annoying people when you have the chance....and get on the phone and call up your old pals that you don't talk to enough and say hi.

seclark
11-29-2010, 04:30 PM
I can relate to this...
Buried one of my best friends the week of Thanksgiving from a death that could have been taken from these very pages...surreal. Thanksgiving Day, relative by marriage turns kid loose with weapon he had no business shooting without immediate, direct supervision, and he shot my mom's farm dog(on accident)...and then Friday, one of my younger brother's best friends....his very version of the friend I buried)and also a friend of mine...was in a bad accident and is in dire straits.

But for as bad as most people's holidays can appear to be, we're all more fortunate than many people, a lot closer than we realize.
A dry bird or a dropped pie are no big deal in the big picture. I'm glad the thread starter's story ends with only a family joke for the next 2 decades.

Appreciate your time with those annoying people when you have the chance....and get on the phone and call up your old pals that you don't talk to enough and say hi.

nice
sec

Fritz88
11-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Sofa and Iowanian

Really sorry for your losses.
Posted via Mobile Device

1adam1238
11-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Got drunk, woke up with my sister in law naked as a jaybird and then my mother in law walks in on us. Needless to say, I'm not longer related to each one of them.

Iowanian
11-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Got drunk, woke up with my sister in law naked as a jaybird and then my mother in law walks in on us. Needless to say, I'm not longer related to each one of them.

This story should have probably been delivered in the old Cartoon style for proper effect.