PDA

View Full Version : Football Is 2010 the Year 11 Wins Stays Home?

AirForceChief
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
After watching San Diego dismantle the Colts yesterday, I started wondering about the Chiefs wildcard playoff chances (you know, just in case SD catches us in the AFC West race). After looking at the remaining schedules of the division leaders and their closest rivals, I think there's a good chance some team could be sitting at home with an 11-5 record...

Teams that could get to 11/11+:

Great Shot - Jets and Patriots (2nd place in the division a likely wildcard), only need to go 2-3 over the next five weeks.

Solid Shot - Ravens and Steelers, need to go 3-2. One of these teams is very likely to get to 11 since they face one another next week. The winner will also likely be division champion...can they both get to 11 and secure a likely wildcard spot?

Could - Chiefs need to go 4-1...so we have a chance. The game in SD looks very tough, but otherwise I can see winning out at home a beating St. Louis in the dome.

Also Could - San Diego - Yeah they need to win out...but geez, look at that favorable schedule.

So that's six teams that could get to 11 wins with only three division champions. Indy, Jacksonville and Miami could all get to 11 if they win out as well, but from what I've seen from each, and their schedules, 5-0 would be very improbable.

Yeesh...11 wins and on the couch for the playoffs. That would suck!

KCUnited
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
The Castle Curse.

Farzin
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
The Castle Curse.
My exact thought when I saw the title of this thread.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Ugh I'm tired of hearing about SD. I want to beat them so bad in two weeks.

BCD
11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, Matt Cassel already knows how this feels.

Hog Farmer
11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
The way I see it. If we beat San Diego we will be in the playoffs and deserve so rightfully.

If we lose we don't deserve to go anyway. To be the best you have to beat the best . Right .

BCD
Watch the Chiefs finish 11-5, sweeping the NFC West while the winner of that division finishes 8-8.

Rausch
I'm sure the Chargers haven't given a 2nd thought to how KC's looked the last two weeks...

Mile High Mania
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
It happened in 1985 ... Denver won 11 games and didn't advance.

JASONSAUTO
11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
The way I see it. If we beat San Diego we will be in the playoffs and deserve so rightfully.

If we lose we don't deserve to go anyway. To be the best you have to beat the best . Right .

didnt we beat them already?

bevischief
11-29-2010, 12:55 PM
didnt we beat them already?

Yes at home.

talastan
11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
If we go 11-5 and for whatever reason are on the outside looking in, I'd still be estatic. Going 11-5 in an arguably rebuilding season? Hell of a successful show of improvement from 4-12 IMO.

Oh Snap
11-29-2010, 12:58 PM
I believe we are a game and a half ahead of the chargers, no? So, if we do lose our head to head with them, but win out, we would still be a half game ahead of them, correct?

With that said, I honestly think this team can compete with the chargers. Right now, our offense is on fire, we're currently ranked 6th in the NFL in total yards, we're averaging almost 26 pts per game. We have the number one rush offense in the NFL, Bowe and Cassel are both playing the way we need them to play (knock on wood). Bowe and cassel are helping the running game, teams are going to have to start to key in on Bowe, this will open up Moeaki and whoever the fuck our #2 reciever is.

I honestly think we are going to be playing our best football going into the chargers game, we just need to be healthy. We all said that in December, this team is going to be pretty darn good, well, its looking like thye just might be! BOOOOYAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Frazod
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Watch the Chiefs finish 11-5, sweeping the NFC West while the winner of that division finishes 8-8.

Shit, the winner of that division will be lucky to finish 8-8.

I see this happening. It's going to suck, but such is life. Like the 10-6 2006 team not making it, then a year later the 2007 team (which sucked ass by comparison) snuck in at 9-7.

In the end, though, we did it to ourselves, pissing away two easy victories against Houston and Oakland that will cost us the division and the playoffs. :shake:

KCtotheSB
11-29-2010, 01:05 PM
F**k the Chargers. Handle business in San Diego two weeks from now and we've got nothing to worry about.

Rausch
11-29-2010, 01:06 PM
F**k the Chargers. Handle business in San Diego two weeks from now and we've got nothing to worry about.

THIS!:cuss:

Oh Snap
11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Shit, the winner of that division will be lucky to finish 8-8.

I see this happening. It's going to suck, but such is life. Like the 10-6 2006 team not making it, then a year later the 2007 team (which sucked ass by comparison) snuck in at 9-7.

In the end, though, we did it to ourselves, pissing away two easy victories against Houston and Oakland that will cost us the division and the playoffs. :shake:

Actually, the 2005 team went 10-6, the 2006 team went 9-7...the 2007 team went 4-12. after going 4-2.

Frazod
11-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Actually, the 2005 team went 10-6, the 2006 team went 9-7...the 2007 team went 4-12. after going 4-2.

My bad - off by a year. All that suck has clouded my memory. :D

JD10367
11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
The only team to go 11-5 in the modern 16-game era and not make the playoffs, IIRC, was my 2008 Patriots led by Matt Cassel.

If the Chiefs, also led by Matt Cassel, go 11-5 and don't make the playoffs... I think we know what the problem is.

Fuck me once, shame on you; fuck me twice, shame on me. If the Chiefs go 11-5 and miss the playoffs... antifreeze AIDS tree fire time for him.

Sofa King
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
We've still got fucking Denver to worry about first....

Bane
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
We've still got fucking Denver to worry about first....

We better hang 50 on them whores and hold them under 20 or I may have to drink beer!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
11-29-2010, 01:15 PM
We better hang 50 on them whores and hold them under 20 or I may have to drink beer!
Posted via Mobile Device

If you drink beer anyways, i promise i will too.

bowener
11-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Just think, NFCW champ could make it to the Super Bowl and lose, and still only have 10 victories... and barely be above .500 for the season.

bowener
11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
We've still got ****ing Denver to worry about first....
I hope they come out running the ****ing ball this time. I also hope that Haley loses his composure and runs the ****ing score up... that is if they get the chance.

Amnorix
11-29-2010, 01:22 PM
It happened in 1985 ... Denver won 11 games and didn't advance.

Happened in 2008. Hence the "Castle" Curse that these folks are referring to. Pats won 11 and didn't go to the dance.

Amnorix
11-29-2010, 01:23 PM
FTR, I don't see anyone getting to 11-5 and NOT going to the playoffs. Doubt the AFCW/S runner up will be that good, to be honest.

And the AFC North/East runner up could falter. Dunno about Steelers/Ravens, but Pats/Jets have brutal games remaining (each other, other division foes, Bears, Packers, etc.)

DJ's left nut
11-29-2010, 02:06 PM
This happens most years.

Inevitably, a couple teams will stumble and lose a game or two that nobody expected them and normalcy will reign. 11-5 gets you in and 10-6 just might.

Unfortunately, it's just as likely as not that KC is one of said teams...

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
If we go 11-5 and for whatever reason are on the outside looking in, I'd still be estatic. Going 11-5 in an arguably rebuilding season? Hell of a successful show of improvement from 4-12 IMO.

BUT THEN THERE GOES OUR DRAFT PICK!! DAMMIT SCOTT!!!:mad:

HotRoute
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
First things first destroy the donkeys and send a message!!!

Lzen
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I believe we are a game and a half ahead of the chargers, no? So, if we do lose our head to head with them, but win out, we would still be a half game ahead of them, correct?

If we lose to the Chargers, we would be tied with them. That half game is kind of a fictitious thing. Its not really a half game. Just that if both teams were tied right now the Chiefs would lead the division since they have the head to head win. But if the Chargers win in SD then the head to head is all even up. Depending on next week's games, the division could be tied up, too. Both SD and KC are 1-2 in the division currently. Both have division opponents next week (Den @ KC and Oak @ SD).

InChiefsHell
11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
First things first destroy the donkeys and send a message!!!

Indeed. One game at a time...

Lzen
11-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Looking at the standings I noticed that the Chargers have allowed just 6 points less than the Chiefs (231 - 225).

HotRoute
11-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Winning out in the NFL is very difficult regardless of past occurances and regardless of how easy the schedule may appear. That being said look for the faiders to give the chargers a run for their money this week.

Deberg_1990
11-29-2010, 03:05 PM

Yea, ever since they went to 4 divisions instead of the old 3, it seems like every year there is a weak division winner.

Theres a flaw in the system somewhere? Maybe thats why they wanted to add 2 more playoff teams?

SNR
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
What's the one surefire way to avoid missing the playoffs with an 11-5 record?

Go 12-4 and own faces :rockon:

Norman Einstein
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Is 2010 the Year 11 Wins Stays Home?

Could be, wasn't last year the year 8-8 won a division?

JD10367
11-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Yea, ever since they went to 4 divisions instead of the old 3, it seems like every year there is a weak division winner.

Theres a flaw in the system somewhere? Maybe thats why they wanted to add 2 more playoff teams?

I think it's time they adopt the NBA/NHL system where they seed overall based on conference, not how you do in your division. (Although they could keep the current six playoff teams in each. The NBA and NHL have 8, which dilutes it too much.) That would eliminate some suck-ass team in a suck-ass conference getting in with a 9-7 record while an 11-5 team goes home. It would also eliminate the stupidity of a division winner hosting a playoff game against a wildcard with a better record who may have even beaten them head-to-head. (Example: if the Patriots end up the WC with a better record than the Steelers or Ravens, but end up having to go play them on the road.)

Deberg_1990
11-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I think it's time they adopt the NBA/NHL system where they seed overall based on conference, not how you do in your division. (Although they could keep the current six playoff teams in each. The NBA and NHL have 8, which dilutes it too much.) That would eliminate some suck-ass team in a suck-ass conference getting in with a 9-7 record while an 11-5 team goes home. It would also eliminate the stupidity of a division winner hosting a playoff game against a wildcard with a better record who may have even beaten them head-to-head. (Example: if the Patriots end up the WC with a better record than the Steelers or Ravens, but end up having to go play them on the road.)

I like that idea alot.

AirForceChief
11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Is 2010 the Year 11 Wins Stays Home?

Could be, wasn't last year the year 8-8 won a division?

The NFC West is striving for an .500 champion this year...heck the AFC South isn't too far ahead of the .500 curve.

Frazod
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Excellent idea. That's one of the few things about basketball that I actually like.

Rams Fan
11-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Why can't the Rams beat the Chiefs? The Rams had 7 sacks vs the Chargers when they had McNeil back.

Frazod
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Why can't the Rams beat the Chiefs? The Rams had 7 sacks vs the Chargers when they had McNeil back.

No one is saying they will, but they should.

And you know damn well that dome will be 50/50 split between Chiefs/Rams fans. No home field advantage. And about 95% of all Chiefs fans hate that fuck Bradford with a passion, too.

Rams Fan
11-29-2010, 03:40 PM
No one is saying they will, but they should.

And you know damn well that dome will be 50/50 split between Chiefs/Rams fans. No home field advantage. And about 95% of all Chiefs fans hate that **** Bradford with a passion, too.

That's what the Dome was like the first week of the season, with Cardinals fans still living in STL. Bradford will be playing in a Dome louder than the EJ Dome in 2 weeks(when the Rams go New Orleans). If he can handle the noise there, he can handle the EJ Dome than too.

AirForceChief
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM
That's what the Dome was like the first week of the season, with Cardinals fans still living in STL. Bradford will be playing in a Dome louder than the EJ Dome in 2 weeks(when the Rams go New Orleans). If he can handle the noise there, he can handle the EJ Dome than too.

Good luck in "handling" the crowd noise AT HOME. :spock: