PDA

View Full Version : Life Stupid travel questions

joesomebody
11-29-2010, 09:34 PM
So the girlfriend has recently moved to Washington D.C.

I'd like to go see her for Valentine's day. I'd probably stay 3 or 4 nights. My question is, how hard/expensive is it to go to New York from D.C. for a day/night trip and what is the best way to travel?

I've never been to the east coast, and the largest American City I've been to is probably K.C. or St. Louis, so I'm not used to the east coast mega city ways of travelling.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Plane tickets to Dulles Airport from KC are currently going for 200 round trip on Southwest.

WebGem
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I have traveled to DC/NY once for a weekend of indy wrestling shows. I flew into DC and out of NY, but to get from DC to NY we took a bus. It was really cheap and it was around $20.00 IIRC. It had Wi-Fi the whole ride and it was pretty nice.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I believe they have trains, not sure the cost.

WebGem
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
https://www.boltbus.com/

http://us.megabus.com/

http://www.dc2ny.com/?gclid=CJTC383gx6UCFUVqKgodPWMyYA

TinyEvel
11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Pics of the girlfriend?

:thumb:

Rain Man
11-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I haven't done it, but I think the train is the way to go.

noa
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Boltbus is the way to go (it has outlets and wireless internet and comfortable seats), but if that doesn't work for some reason, there are tons of other bus services. I would try to catch one that leaves from the Penn Station area. The ones that leave from Chinatown are a little sketchier. MVP and Megabus are two others that come to mind. Someone else posted a link for megabus above. Should cost you only $20. Trains are overpriced.

WoodDraw
11-29-2010, 10:16 PM
[edit] I fucked that up. Bye

joesomebody
11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys. I've never ridden on a train, so I may go that route. I may stay in D.C., I'm sure there's plenty to do there. I've always wanted to go to NYC though, and that's the closest I'll have ever been to Gotham.

joesomebody
11-29-2010, 10:19 PM
You are going to have to decide what price vs. convenience means to you. A train ticket is going to cost you around $50, each way. A bus ticket less, but then you have to deal with potential for delays, weather cancelations, and general shit travel.

I just spent a couple minutes looking at airfares, and I don't think you're saving much flying into DC instead of NY. You'll probably come out about even with a lot of less stress.

My advice: fly into NY and avoid the hassel.
Hadn't even considered that. It isn't that I'm trying to save money by going to D.C. She lives in DC, so I imagine we'll spend the bulk of my trip there. Was just hoping to visit NYC while I'm out there.

Is Dulles a hassle?

WebGem
11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Is Dulles a hassle?

No, it's not.

WoodDraw
11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Hadn't even considered that. It isn't that I'm trying to save money by going to D.C. She lives in DC, so I imagine we'll spend the bulk of my trip there. Was just hoping to visit NYC while I'm out there.

Is Dulles a hassle?

I kind of fucked up reading your message. I read it as you trying to fly into DC, and then going to NY to meet her there.

Yeah, for sure fly into DC. That'll be cheaper than NY, and if you're spending time there that's the obvious choice.

Bus vs. train? I don't know. I hate busses. The amtrak service between New York and DC is good, and much better than around here. The Acela is the speed train between the two, but they offer cheaper service for around ~$50 each way. You can relax much more and walk around, maybe bring some food and drinks. Far more relaxing as far as I'm concerned.

Rain Man
11-29-2010, 10:24 PM

Is Dulles a hassle?

Where does she live in DC? That's a big factor. If she's in the city itself, Reagan is a much easier choice. That or take the train from Union Station right into Manhattan. (It sounds like there are some good options for buses, too.)

Dulles is fine and may be better if she's out in the 'burbs of Virginia or northern Maryland, but go with Reagan if she's in the city.

unlurking
11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
I kind of fucked up reading your message. I read it as you trying to fly into DC, and then going to NY to meet her there.

Yeah, for sure fly into DC. That'll be cheaper than NY, and if you're spending time there that's the obvious choice.

Bus vs. train? I don't know. I hate busses. The amtrak service between New York and DC is good, and much better than around here. The Acela is the speed train between the two, but they offer cheaper service for around ~$50 each way. You can relax much more and walk around, maybe bring some food and drinks. Far more relaxing as far as I'm concerned.

This.

Skip the bus and take the train. Personally I'd skip the Acela too though. Double the price, and you only knock 45 minutes off a 3.5 hour trip. Enjoy the ride and have a few drinks in the bar car.

Also, I'd recommend Reagan instead of Dulles. Walk ride onto the Metro (subway) to get downtown.

EDIT:
Rain Man beat me to the Reagan recommendation, but if she's on the north side in MD, check out BWI to fly in/out instead.

blaise
11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Those busses look good. You'd probably spend more than that on tolls if you drove and it looks like the travel time is like 4 hours, which isn't bad. They leave from Union Station in DC so you could take the metro to Union Station and the bus from there.
Just looking at dates though I noticed some were sold out already. If I were you, and wanted to go that route, I'd buy ahead of time.

The only thing with the train is if it's both of you, each way, it could be up near $200. But I guess if you want to go and you don't like busses.

teedubya
11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
So the girlfriend has recently moved to Washington D.C.

Sounds like a future ex girlfriend.

You may want to do this sooner than Valentine's Day. In three months, she may already be pregnant.

joesomebody
11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Sounds like a future ex girlfriend.

You may want to do this sooner than Valentine's Day. In three months, she may already be pregnant.

Lol. Thanks Teed. She's coming to see me this month (edit: December) for my Graduation, and she's been gone almost exactly a month so far.

We'll just have to do our best, and what happens... happens.

I'll look into Reagen, pretty sure she lives IN the city.

I'll have to discuss it with her. 200 bucks just for a train is a lot, not to mention a hotel and taxi once we got there. We may have to stay in D.C. the whole time. I just imagine she's going to be sick of the touristy crap by then, and I'll be a wide eyed fool with all the museums and monuments there.

WoodDraw
11-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Lol. Thanks Teed. She's coming to see me this month (edit: December) for my Graduation, and she's been gone almost exactly a month so far.

We'll just have to do our best, and what happens... happens.

I'll look into Reagen, pretty sure she lives IN the city.

I'll have to discuss it with her. 200 bucks just for a train is a lot, not to mention a hotel and taxi once we got there. We may have to stay in D.C. the whole time. I just imagine she's going to be sick of the touristy crap by then, and I'll be a wide eyed fool with all the museums and monuments there.

Ahh, I love DC. Stay in DC and see some of the different neighborhoods. Take what you would have spent on hotels and train tickets and apply it to a couple nice dinners and a nice hotel room for a night or something. New York isn't worth the hassel if you're going to have to worry about money the whole time. DC is a great city, unless she just desperately wants to get away.

unlurking
11-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Don't count on her being sick of it all yet if she's only been here a month. I've been here almost three years and haven't seen everything.

Also, if you've never been to Bawlmer, the Inner Harbor and Fell's Point area are fun places to go bar hopping. Train is like $11 each way from DC, water taxi is $5, but you get a crapload of BOGO drink coupons.

joesomebody
11-29-2010, 11:02 PM
Don't count on her being sick of it all yet if she's only been here a month. I've been here almost three years and haven't seen everything.

Also, if you've never been to Bawlmer, the Inner Harbor and Fell's Point area are fun places to go bar hopping. Train is like $11 each way from DC, water taxi is $5, but you get a crapload of BOGO drink coupons.Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think I'll book my plane tickets this week and just forget about NYC. Save that for another trip when I hopefully have something better than a part time job.

unlurking
11-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I think I'll book my plane tickets this week and just forget about NYC. Save that for another trip when I hopefully have something better than a part time job.
Like WoodDraw said, you can have a lot of fun in DC. All the memorials and museums are free, well the good ones anyway. The WWII, Lincoln, and Vietnam are my favorite memorials so far. Unfortunately, the Dulles extension of the Air & Space Museum is so much better (IMO) than the downtown one, but even the smaller downtown museum I could spend an entire day in.

blaise
11-29-2010, 11:16 PM
I lived in DC for three years (Idaho Ave NW) and I never got sick of the stuff. There's places people that live in DC never go. The Teddy Roosevelt Island is one. Personally, the one place I got tired of quick was the Air and Space Museum. I think the American History is much better. I would also skip Mt Vernon.
If she does want to get out of the city and you have a car you can drive up to Annapolis for a day. It's not far. It's an old little city and there's a boat tour. It's a nice date place.
Something cool you could do is take the metro to the zoo (which is free) and then go to a bar on Connecticut called the 4 Ps (Ireland's Four Provinces), which is a few blocks away. It's a pretty good DC bar- live Irish music, usually a good crowd. There's also an old movie theater next door called the Uptown which has a baclony and everything.

The one thing I wouldn't want to miss is the changing of the guard at Arlington.

blaise
11-29-2010, 11:20 PM
And take this for what it's worth- if you're down on the Mall and realize you need to drop a deuce, go to the American Art Museum. Much less traffic and much cleaner.

unlurking
11-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Good idea on Annapolis. For the best crabs in the area, hit up Cantler's. About 2PM the place is PACKED solid as they get all the boats unloading (place is right on the water). Hole in the wall joint that's not easy to find, but AWESOME crabs (crab stuffed Rockfish is heavenly).

http://www.cantlers.com/

unlurking
11-29-2010, 11:27 PM
And take this for what it's worth- if you're down on the Mall and realize you need to drop a deuce, go to the American Art Museum. Much less traffic and much cleaner.
That sounds like real world experience right there!