PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ESPN, Texas close to TV deal?

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
ESPN, Texas close to TV deal?
By J-W Staff and Wire Reports

Austin American-Statesman sports columnist Kirk Bohls wrote that ESPN is close to finalizing a deal with the University of Texas to become broadcast partners as a first step toward acquiring all the Big 12’s television rights that will be negotiated next spring.

“To avoid Texas threatening to leave again, the opinion here is the Big 12 must be aggressive and try to strengthen itself against other assaults. That means looking to expand. It should go after Arkansas and LSU, Arizona and Arizona State, heck even Notre Dame,” Bohls wrote. “I keep hearing Kansas is talking to the Big East. Who would blame the Jayhawks for looking since they were nearly left out in the last realignment merry go-round?”

Until Kansas names a new athletic director, any talk is just that, talk.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/nov/30/espn-texas-close-deal/

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Enjoy the Texas 10.

ArrowheadHawk
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Enjoy being raped by the big 10.

Molitoth
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm so glad to get out of that shithole conference.

I feel really bad for MU. =(

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Enjoy being raped by the big 10.

Look at Nebraskas record vs Big 10 teams then get back to me.

Zaiko
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
So given that Texas has all this influence and money, isn't it really, really bad they didn't even make a bowl this year.. 1 year after playing for the national championship?

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I want BYU. Shit talking opportunities would increase enormously. Don't really care who else we get.

Zaiko
11-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Nebraska will do fine, but surely it will be more of a challenge than the B12 North?

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Big 10/Big XII are on the same level in both football and basketball, IMO. Big 10 is quite a bit more boring but neither is head and shoulders better than the other.

Nothing really compares to the SEC in football, ACC in basketball.

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Big 10/Big XII are on the same level in both football and basketball, IMO. Big 10 is quite a bit more boring but neither is head and shoulders better than the other.

Nothing really compares to the SEC in football, ACC in basketball.

You got that right Big 10 football is boring as fuck to watch it will be interesting to see how Nebraska schemes on defense since the Big 10 uses bigger linebackers while Nebraska has been playing safeties at linebacker.

Are you talking about the SEC in football as being the superior conference or entertainment? Because I believe the Big 10 is better this year than the SEC when it comes to overall teams.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:07 PM
You got that right Big 10 football is boring as fuck to watch it will be interesting to see how Nebraska schemes on defense since the Big 10 uses bigger linebackers while Nebraska has been playing safeties at linebacker.

Are you talking about the SEC in football as being the superior conference or entertainment? Because I believe the Big 10 is better this year than the SEC when it comes to overall teams.

Both. Your second point is debatable.

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I want BYU. Shit talking opportunities would increase enormously. Don't really care who else we get.

I wanted TCU badly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
I wanted TCU badly.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's because you are a dumbass.

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:18 PM
That's because you are a dumbass.

Why do you say that? How does wanting TCU make me a dumbass?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Because you assume TCU secures the Dallas market. This is false.

TCU can't even sell out it's games and the team is a BCS title contender. They bring nothing to the table.

Saulbadguy
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would we need yet another Texas school with a small football stadium and small fanbase?

Alton deFlat
I wanted TCU badly.
Posted via Mobile Device

TCU would have been a good fit.

Regarding the original article...... No way LSU moves to the Big XII, and I doubt that Arkansas is interested. Arizona and ASU would be ahead to stay where they are, travel-wise, but they are forgotten members of the PAC-10/11/12 however.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM

TCU can't even sell out it's games and the team is a BCS title contender. They bring nothing to the table.

This, as well.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM
TCU would have been a good fit. No way LSU moves to the Big XII, and I doubt that Arkansas is interested.

Agree with your 2nd and 3rd statements.

First statement, no. TCU would not be a good fit in the Big XII.

Thig Lyfe
11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
How about North Dakota State?

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Wrong. I solely based my statement on the fact that they have a Top 10 football program this year and have represented their conference in the NCAA tournament previously.

My statement had nothing to do with "markets" and everything to do with adding competitive, quality competition to my conference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:26 PM
My statement had nothing to do with "markets" and everything to do with adding competitive, quality competition to my conference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chicken, egg.

Chocolate Hog
Wrong. I solely based my statement on the fact that they have a Top 10 football program this year and have represented their conference in the NCAA tournament previously.

Posted via Mobile Device

They've been good for a few years and it's likely once Patterson leaves they won't be as good. Basically you'd be stuck with another Baylor.

Alton deFlat
How about North Dakota State?

The Fargodome only seats 19,000

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Why would we need yet another Texas school with a small football stadium and small fanbase?

I couldn't give two fucks less about their fanbase or stadium. I wanted them because they are close, they appear to have solid programs at the moment, and they are in a shit conference so one would assume that we have something to offer. I'm interested in competition, not fanbases.

Perhaps you are a dumbass for presuming to understand what basis I have for my statement.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Chicken, egg.

Are you trying to say a team has to have a big fan base to provide quality competition for my school?
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Are you trying to say a team has to have a big fan base to provide quality competition for my school?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sigh. Dumbass.

Thig Lyfe
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
The Fargodome only seats 19,000

You can fit way more people once you run them through a woodchipper.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

I thought this statement was a bit odd. They've participated in one NCAA tournament in the last 20 years. 2 in the last 30.

Still a dumbass.

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Sigh. Dumbass.

No. Tell me.

Do you think right now that TCU would be better for the big 12 than Colorado? CU is the only conference victory the Jayhawks have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
No. Tell me.

Do you think right now that TCU would be better for the big 12 than Colorado? CU is the only conference victory the Jayhawks have.
Posted via Mobile Device

How many times has Colorado won the Big 12 North?

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:34 PM
No. Tell me.

Posted via Mobile Device

If we rely on schools like TCU to ensure the longterm viability of the Big XII conference, it won't matter how competitive any of us are, because the conference will be gone.

Saulbadguy
11-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Remember, billay. 2007.

Great Expectations
11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
The Big 12 north is equal to the Big 10, the Big 12 south is vastly superior.

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
I thought this statement was a bit odd. They've participated in one NCAA tournament in the last 20 years. 2 in the last 30.

Still a dumbass.

Damn. I must have been paying attention the one year they made it.

Either way, does a (currently) top 10 football program contribute more than Colorado football? Hell, both football and basketball programs.

I'm not disputing the fact that I'm a dumbass. I just don't know why you're so defensive about TCU.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:38 PM

I don't know. But I'd imagine its less than the current TCU program would if they continue their success. I guess I missed your point, you know, since I'm a dumbass and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefsfan987
11-30-2010, 02:38 PM
I know that teams in the SEC are not likely to move but I wonder if it would be possible to pry Florida State and Miami from the ACC? I'd love to see us take those two schools, move OU and OSU to the north and change the scheduling to give every north team a south rival you play every year. Doing this would allow Texas and OU to continue their series and we could rotate the other two games.

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
If we rely on schools like TCU to ensure the longterm viability of the Big XII conference, it won't matter how competitive any of us are, because the conference will be gone.

What? I don't see how we would rely on TCU any more than we have colorado and Iowa State and they are perrenially bad. ( No offense Rust Shack).
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't know. But I'd imagine its less than the current TCU program would if they continue their success. I guess I missed your point, you know, since I'm a dumbass and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colorado has won a national title, A Big 12 Championship, and won the Big 12 North 4 times second only to Nebraska. I know they've been down for a few years but long term they are much more viable compared to TCU.

Buehler445
11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Colorado has won a national title, A Big 12 Championship, and won the Big 12 North 4 times second only to Nebraska. I know they've been down for a few years but long term they are much more viable compared to TCU.

That could very well be. But many of the years in that time period, the North has
Been shit. I honestly don't remember when they won the NC.

It appears that this years TCU program would wipe up most of the Big 12 North save Nebraska and probably Mizzou. And I think those games would be competitive. But think back to 5 or 6 years ago before Mizzous resurgance, KUs flash in the pan, and when Callahan was destroying a good Nebraska program. TCU could easily win some North titles too.

You know what, fuck all the what ifs, I haven't heard anyone tell me why TCU football wouldn't add competition to the league. And if they would add some competition, how would that be different than Colorado? They've had some success in football but done nothing in basketball.
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
You got that right Big 10 football is boring as **** to watch it will be interesting to see how Nebraska schemes on defense since the Big 10 uses bigger linebackers while Nebraska has been playing safeties at linebacker.

I have never thought of Big 10 as boring to watch. For me personally...there is nothing more boring than watching Pac 10 teams play except Oregon who always brings it. I like the Big 10 atmosphere.

Thig Lyfe
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
I have never thought of Big 10 as boring to watch. For me personally...there is nothing more boring than watching Pac 10 teams play except Oregon who always brings it. I like the Big 10 atmosphere.

Wisconsin has been insanely fun to watch this year. They have three running backs who can almost score at will.

LiveSteam
11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
The only thing that is more stupid than this thread ?
Are peeps thinking the Big 12 will last. This conference is as good as dead.
Texas tradition killed 2 conferences in a 15 year time table. Oh & finished last in the big 12 south.

RustShack
11-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Add Notre Dame and BYU(or steal some schools from another conference... or ISU, Mizzou, Kansas and K-State should jump ship to the Big East. Kick out the BBall only schools and you have this-

East
UConn
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
Villanova
West Virginia

West
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
Missouri
TCU

ChiefaRoo
11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Enjoy the Texas 10.

Post your bicep

Bugeater
11-30-2010, 08:50 PM
That could very well be. But many of the years in that time period, the North has
Been shit. I honestly don't remember when they won the NC.

They split a title with Georgia Tech in '91.

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Post your bicep

How bout I rub my dick on your head and make u my genie?

Norman Einstein
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
The only thing that is more stupid than this thread ?
Are peeps thinking the Big 12 will last. This conference is as good as dead.
Texas tradition killed 2 conferences in a 15 year time table. Oh & finished last in the big 12 south.

the conference was dead right after it became the dirty dozen.

LiveSteam
11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
They split a title with Georgia Tech in '91.

Um the Husker Punk-ed Colorado that year. By losing to Georgia tech in the bowl game & forcing the split NC.

the conference was dead right after it became the dirty dozen.
Um No. The first year of the Big 12, the vote was always 11 to 1
Nebraska being the 1
So its either. THE DIRTY 1 or THE DIRTY 11 Take your pick

jAZ
11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I have always wanted KU and Arizona in the same conference. That said, Arizona and ASU will *NEVER* leave the Pac-10 by choice. It's about more than TV contracts and conference opponents. It's about University-wide branding. Arizona will *NEVER* give up being associated with the brand and the imagery of sunshine, beaches, bikinis, technology, innovation, Hollywood, celebrity, silicon valley, California, Seattle, Microsoft and all the other images and brands that come with being identified with the west coast. Plus the academic credibility that comes with being associated with Stanford, USC, Berkeley, UCLA, etc. The Big-12 has good schools too. And it might not be fair, but the part of the image and branding of the Big-12 if farming and oil and cowboys and "fly over country". And while Arizona itself is a mix of both farming/cowboys along with sunshine/bikinis... when positioning your brand/image toward 18-year olds coming out of HS (regular students, not athletes) Arizona doesn't want to emphasize the cowboy over the bikini.

ku_jhawk23
11-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Still a dumbass.

Should the Big 12 be happy with KSU's 4 appearances in 20 years?

It was made clear this summer that basketball doesn't matter, only football. TCU brings more to the current football table than any other viable candidate, and would be one of the best teams in the north. Patterson ignored KSU knowing that TCU was a better option.

The Big 12(10) can't survive as it is now. It has to expand to 12 or more. Missing TCU will be/is a mistake. Who else is going to join. (No chance in hell the answer is Notre Dame) At 10 teams, the Big 12 has a shelf life of 5 years tops.

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Add BYU (who is a Texas butt buddy now) and either Air Force/New Mexico. But both in the south and send the Okies to the North.

-King-
12-01-2010, 12:55 AM

ROFL ROFL ROFL This has got to be the gayest thing ever said on this forum. ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

Norman Einstein
12-01-2010, 04:51 AM
The Big 12 north is equal to the Big 10, the Big 12 south is vastly superior.

In their own minds.

Mojo Jojo
12-01-2010, 05:11 AM
The Big 12 needs to go get Houston...#10 TV market in the US, and another southern team (TCU would have been nice) then move OU & OSU to the north.
Lew was the reason the KU to Big East rumors started. Now that the door is hitting Lew in the ass on the way out that talk is going to die.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2010, 06:44 AM
The Big 12 needs to go get Houston...#10 TV market in the US, and another southern team (TCU would have been nice) then move OU & OSU to the north.
Lew was the reason the KU to Big East rumors started. Now that the door is hitting Lew in the ass on the way out that talk is going to die.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None.

Extra Point
12-01-2010, 06:54 AM

How's that furnace working, genious?

Saulbadguy
12-01-2010, 07:28 AM
How's that furnace working, genious?

Oh, my furnace is working great. I wonder if I should start giving advice in heating and cooling related threads due to this fact.

Mojo Jojo
12-01-2010, 07:54 AM

I know a lot more about this business than you do.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I know a lot more about this business than you do.

Maybe. Perhaps you are just being facetious/stupid.

Mojo Jojo
12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Well if that makes you feel better. What was was wrong with my point? Also how many teams pro and college and broadcast outlets do you work with?

Bambi
12-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Add Notre Dame and BYU(or steal some schools from another conference... or ISU, Mizzou, Kansas and K-State should jump ship to the Big East. Kick out the BBall only schools and you have this-

East
UConn
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
South Florida
Syracuse
Villanova
West Virginia

West
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
Missouri
TCU

This is what I've heard. Adding TCU was a step to drop the schools that don't play both sports and pick up schools like Memphis, Houston, etc.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Well if that makes you feel better. What was was wrong with my point? Also how many teams pro and college and broadcast outlets do you work with?

:LOL:

Mojo Jojo
12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
:LOL:

You must be a very sad person. You think you know everything and yet know nothing.

penguinz
12-01-2010, 09:02 AM
It was made clear this summer that basketball doesn't matter, only football. TCU brings more to the current football table than any other viable candidate, and would be one of the best teams in the north. Patterson ignored KSU knowing that TCU was a better option.
It was made clear that football schools that can generate $'s is all that matters.

TCU is not one that fits this.

Saulbadguy
12-01-2010, 09:08 AM
It was made clear that football schools that can generate $'s is all that matters.

TCU is not one that fits this.

IT'S DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!
IT'S THE BIG XII!!!

ChiefaRoo
12-01-2010, 09:23 AM

Cute. Have you ever been with a woman that weighed less than 185 lbs? I mean you live in Nebraska. Arguably the ugliest women as a whole in the USA. Judging by your pic your family must be full of corn fed uglies.

Pants
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM

How many UH fans do you think live in Houston? You don't think that the majority of that TV market cheers either for Texas or TAMU or any other more prominent school in Texas? Don't you think that maybe the market is already saturated given the fact that Texas has so many universities?

Also, I wonder why Bill Self came out the other day and said in his PC that it could have been Kansas/Kansas State announcing their departure to the Big East. Do you know more than Bill Self too?

Saulbadguy
12-01-2010, 09:41 AM
How many UH fans do you think live in Houston? You don't think that the majority of that TV market cheers either for Texas or TAMU or any other more prominent school in Texas? Don't you think that maybe the market is already saturated given the fact that Texas has so many universities?

Also, I wonder why Bill Self came out the other day and said in his PC that it could have been Kansas/Kansas State announcing their departure to the Big East. Do you know more than Bill Self too?

He works with pro and college broadcast outlets.

Pants
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
He works with pro and college broadcast outlets.

Oh, my bad. Please disregard my previous post.

eazyb81
12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Big 12 needs to add UMKC to capture the KC television market.

HolyHandgernade
12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
The Big XII is a conference put together with TV contracts in mind. If the conference keeps the cash rolling in it will remain viable. It remains viable because Texas (the state) produces so much talent it can bankroll the rest of the Big XII with one to two great teams and another 3-5 really good ones any given year. Texas is getting its personal network plus the potential of a huge payday from the conference. It has no real incentive to leave. If the money is comparable, member schools won't be as inclined to leave because the grass isn't really that much greener on the other side.

Without Big XII teams to poach, 16 team super conferences aren't really that attractive. It just splits the revenue pie without much more payoff. The real kicker, oddly enough, is basketball....

The last round of realignment happened because of uncertainty within the Big XII (and to a lesser extent in the Big East and ACC). People make a big deal of the money difference between football and basketball, but that is a bit of a misnomer. Basketball actually makes a ton of money, the NCAA Tournament basically funds all of the other NCAA activities, both managerial and non revenue sports, about 3/4 of a billion annually. If the "mega conference" concept gets organized, in other words, becomes a collaborative effort among the conferences rather than a competitive effort of poaching and then organizes its own basketball tournament apart from the NCAA, the money would be an amount hard to ignore, and schools originally not attractive (UNC, Duke, KU) much more desirable.

Norman Einstein
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM

the big 12 is dead, it may linger on for a year or two but close the casket already.

Spicy McHaggis
12-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Enjoy the Texas 10.

The Big Red eagerly await your arrival.

http://badgerchatters.com/wp-content/uploads/Camp-Randall.jpg

Mile High Mania
12-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Why would Arkansas and LSU want to leave the SEC for the Texas Conference? Arkansas left the Texas Conference a while back and I don't think they regret the decision.

What would either team gain by moving from the SEC?

Mile High Mania
12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
the big 12 is dead, it may linger on for a year or two but close the casket already.

"... Big 12 is dead baby..."

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7Yp2L6c2KM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y7Yp2L6c2KM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

WilliamTheIrish
12-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh, my bad. Please disregard my previous post.

I like Mojo, but he involves himself in these topics and never backs it up. Kinda like moThsaC.

If it's not this, it's "810 is bankrupt". I think that one was first posted in 06. Four years later they still seem to be up and running.

HolyHandgernade
12-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Do you think Notre Dame/Louisville addition would be enough to stabilize the conference? I know the Big XII says they want to procede with 10 teams and that the conference championship game put them at a disadvantage with conferences that didn't have one, but...

Now, we'll be the only conference not to have one. The game at Jerry's World was awesome and I hate to see the conference lose something like that. Notre Dame might be enitced watching Texas get their own network and reap conference benefits, something they couldn't get in the Big Ten. Louisville could realize a greater conference payday from the football contracts with networks and Beebe has said one of the priorities will be that every conference game is televised (including ESPN3 broadcasts). Louisville would add to the luster and potentially huge basketball contract as well.

With the Big 10 saying they are no longer pursuing options beyond a 12 team conference, the addition of Notre Dame might be able to sweeten the pot some to ensure comprable payouts despite the increase of 10 to 12 teams.

North:

Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Louisville
Missouri
Notre Dame

South:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Saulbadguy
12-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Do you think Notre Dame/Louisville addition would be enough to stabilize the conference? I know the Big XII says they want to procede with 10 teams and that the conference championship game put them at a disadvantage with conferences that didn't have one, but...

Now, we'll be the only conference not to have one. The game at Jerry's World was awesome and I hate to see the conference lose something like that. Notre Dame might be enitced watching Texas get their own network and reap conference benefits, something they couldn't get in the Big Ten. Louisville could realize a greater conference payday from the football contracts with networks and Beebe has said one of the priorities will be that every conference game is televised (including ESPN3 broadcasts). Louisville would add to the luster and potentially huge basketball contract as well.

With the Big 10 saying they are no longer pursuing options beyond a 12 team conference, the addition of Notre Dame might be able to sweeten the pot some to ensure comprable payouts despite the increase of 10 to 12 teams.

North:

Iowa St
Kansas
Kansas St
Louisville
Missouri
Notre Dame

South:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

Why do all of your posts take forever to get to the fucking point?

kstater
12-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Why do all of your posts take forever to get to the fucking point?

I think he was trying to mask that his point was he thinks ND would join the Big 12.

Chocolate Hog
12-06-2010, 03:33 PM
I think he was trying to mask that his point was he thinks ND would join the Big 12.

It could happen

HolyHandgernade
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Why do all of your posts take forever to get to the ****ing point?

To make up for posts that lack them.