PDA

View Full Version : Royals Zack Greinke Reportedly Willing to Accept Trade to Yankees

teedubya
11-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Fuckin' Yankees.

The Yankees still have their hearts set on signing Cliff Lee as a free agent, but their chances at getting a guy to ride shotgun to CC Sabathia might not be up in smoke if he remains with the Rangers.

Royals ace Zack Greinke is reportedly OK with the prospect of a trade sending him to the Yankees. That runs counter to earlier reports that Greinke isn't interested in pitching in the highly pressurized New York market, reports that stemmed from the fact that he has a no-trade clause that includes the Yankees. According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, though, Greinke is open to going anywhere with a winning team.

"I wouldn't put it past him to go to New York," Passan's source said. "I don't think he'd rule out anybody. He says he likes New York. Especially because they're winners. He wants to go to a team that wins."

Imagine that, a player who prefers winning to losing. Stop the presses!

Seriously, though, this is eye-opening because it flies in the face of the perceptions about Greinke that have built up over the last couple of years. The no-trade clause mixed with his previous issues with social anxiety disorder and depression made it seem like the atmosphere around a team like the Yankees would make any attempt to add Greinke a non-starter. This would appear to change that equation.

What's more, Passan reports that the Royals have had discussions with the Yankees about a trade that would send Greinke to the Bronx. Obviously such discussions are in very early stages as the Yankees would almost surely prefer signing Lee to spending prospects on a deal for Greinke.

A trade for Greinke, who is 27 and signed for $27 million over the next two seasons, would come at a high price in terms of big-league talent and/or highly regarded prospects. For the Yankees, such a deal would likely have to include Jesus Montero, expected to be the catcher in 2011, and at least one of the top pitching prospects Manuel Banuelos and Dellin Betances.

That's a steep price and there would certainly be other bidders, but the Yankees are likely cheered by the prospect that the cupboard isn't bare if they can't lure Lee to their clubhouse.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/30/zack-greinke-reportedly-willing-to-accept-trade-to-yankees/

Deberg_1990
11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Like clockwork.....just as i predicted 2 or 3 years ago....

Gotta love the Kansas City Royals AAA farm club.

tyton75
11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I personally think Greinke woudl probably do really well for a portion of the season.. then the fans would turn on him after a rough outting and he would wilt

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
If the Royals could get a Bartolo Colon type deal out of it - I would say go for it.

DeezNutz
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Obviously, trading Greinke would go a long way toward defining the Moore era in KC. He simply has to make a great, not good, decision if he moves a talent like Zack.

No excuses.

Guru
11-30-2010, 04:46 PM
who could blame zach.

teedubya
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
This will make me hate the Yankees even more, if this happens.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd rather see him go to the Mets

Chocolate Hog
11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
This is why baseball is a total joke.

DeezNutz
11-30-2010, 05:04 PM

If the Royals would trade him because of financial concerns, you'd be right.

Bill Parcells
11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
****in' Yankees.

The Yankees still have their hearts set on signing Cliff Lee as a free agent, but their chances at getting a guy to ride shotgun to CC Sabathia might not be up in smoke if he remains with the Rangers.

Royals ace Zack Greinke is reportedly OK with the prospect of a trade sending him to the Yankees. That runs counter to earlier reports that Greinke isn't interested in pitching in the highly pressurized New York market, reports that stemmed from the fact that he has a no-trade clause that includes the Yankees. According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, though, Greinke is open to going anywhere with a winning team.

"I wouldn't put it past him to go to New York," Passan's source said. "I don't think he'd rule out anybody. He says he likes New York. Especially because they're winners. He wants to go to a team that wins."

Imagine that, a player who prefers winning to losing. Stop the presses!

Seriously, though, this is eye-opening because it flies in the face of the perceptions about Greinke that have built up over the last couple of years. The no-trade clause mixed with his previous issues with social anxiety disorder and depression made it seem like the atmosphere around a team like the Yankees would make any attempt to add Greinke a non-starter. This would appear to change that equation.

What's more, Passan reports that the Royals have had discussions with the Yankees about a trade that would send Greinke to the Bronx. Obviously such discussions are in very early stages as the Yankees would almost surely prefer signing Lee to spending prospects on a deal for Greinke.

A trade for Greinke, who is 27 and signed for $27 million over the next two seasons, would come at a high price in terms of big-league talent and/or highly regarded prospects. For the Yankees, such a deal would likely have to include Jesus Montero, expected to be the catcher in 2011, and at least one of the top pitching prospects Manuel Banuelos and Dellin Betances.

That's a steep price and there would certainly be other bidders, but the Yankees are likely cheered by the prospect that the cupboard isn't bare if they can't lure Lee to their clubhouse.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/30/zack-greinke-reportedly-willing-to-accept-trade-to-yankees/

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

Ari, why dont you buy the Royals?

Chiefs Rool
11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
why I gave up on baseball many years ago

Bill Parcells
11-30-2010, 05:09 PM

The Yankees getting either Cliff Lee or Greinke is bad for baseball. but getting them both? thats insane.

MIAdragon
11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
LMAO that head case would fold in a cocaine heartbeat in NY.

thebrad84
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Meh. Who cares if he stays or goes. This franchise is a complete joke anyways. Cleveland Browns type of a joke.

Deberg_1990
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Meh. Who cares if he stays or goes. This franchise is a complete joke anyways. Cleveland Browns type of a joke.

Worse than the Browns.....What other pro sports organization hasnt made the playoffs in 25 years? There cant be many others....

Zaiko
11-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I follow the Cardinals some, and will try to watch a few games here and there, but overall baseball as a whole is a joke.. It's soo money dominated.

Like this, the Royals and others are basically farm clubs for the rich teams.

Guru
11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
All the Royals do is develop talent for other teams. Why should anyone get invested in a team that does that year in and year out?

I gave up on Baseball after the strike. then the HR chase pulled me back in for a bit. It ended once I realized the Royals will never contend for anything the way things are setup in MLB right now.

WebGem
11-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Why would you give up on the best professional sport in this country?

CoMoChief
11-30-2010, 05:48 PM
ROFL

Boy......no one saw this coming.

God damn.............fuck the Kansas City Royals. This is just (more) proof this franchise will NEVER be competitive with the current ownership. It's that simple. Gotta pay to play if you want to be a consistent playoff team in MLB. Minnesota is an exception to the rule, but they have the luxury of playing in a division that arguably has the least amount of talent in it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2010, 05:50 PM
He would absolutely fold in that environment, and the Yankees don't have the kind of prospects necessary to pry him away.

Reaper16
11-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Do some of you not remember that its Greinke himself that wants to leave? The Royals would prefer to keep him.

DeezNutz
11-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Do some of you not remember that its Greinke himself that wants to leave? The Royals would prefer to keep him.

Don't.

There's a perfectly good "baseball is fucked" rant going on. Facts have no place here.

Pitt Gorilla
11-30-2010, 06:03 PM
If the Royals could get a Bartolo Colon type deal out of it - I would say go for it.This. Colon's haul would really set us up long-term.

Edit: BTW, this has NOTHING to do with Greinke's salary. It has everything to do with 1) not knowing if they could re-sign him after his current deal expires and 2) getting a ton of talent in return that would support the insane class that is likely coming in 2012.

pr_capone
11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I'd rather see him go to the Mets

:shake:

Unless he is going to the Braves, keep him out of the NL East.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Greinke open to moving to big market team

Greinke
A source told Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports that Royals right-hander Zack Greinke is open to moving to a big-market team.
The Yankees are one of the clubs on Greinke's no-trade list and he's had anxiety problems in the past, but sources told Jon Heyman of SI.com on Tuesday that the righty is "ready to go" and Passan's report seems to confirm that he won't be too picky. The Yanks could turn to the 27-year-old if they miss out on free agent Cliff Lee. Greinke has a 3.82 career ERA and 1.26 WHIP. Nov. 30 - 4:09 pm et
Source: Yahoo! Sports

Sure-Oz
11-30-2010, 06:11 PM
All i know is they better not fuck up this deal...i hate the fact that this will likely happen but we have to cleanup on this.

Fruit Ninja
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
All the Royals do is develop talent for other teams. Why should anyone get invested in a team that does that year in and year out?

I gave up on Baseball after the strike. then the HR chase pulled me back in for a bit. It ended once I realized the Royals will never contend for anything the way things are setup in MLB right now.

teams like the twins, Giants (world series champs), Tampa Bay, Florida (2 time world series champs in the last 15 or so years) win because they know how to raise talent and content without having to just buy buy buy. Is it fairly rare that this happens? yah, but it can if you have people that know how to run an organization.

Baseball does need a overhaul and how teams spend money though. There needs to be at lest a soft cap like NBA at least.

salame
11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
they are soooooo good with him here.....

Hog Farmer
11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't follow the Royals or baseball since George Brett retired so can somebody enlighten me as to why the Royals trade off EVERY quality player they develop? do they not want to win or what?

salame
11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Josh McDaniels works for the pro-personnel department

BigRock
11-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Here's the entire story:

A anonymous source told a reporter "I wouldn’t put it past (Zack) to go to New York. I don’t think he’d rule out anybody."

Resume meltdown.

Silock
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Well . . . bye.

Thig Lyfe
11-30-2010, 06:44 PM
I bet they'll trade him for a bunch of great offensive players and then instead of the Royals losing every game 2-0 they'll lose every game 9-7.

googlegoogle
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Grienke did his job.

He just produced when we didn't have all the players in the farm system ready.

Adios.

D-Train6906
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Zack has every right to leave. Kid is elite and young, I don't blame him. However, the Royals have a few pitchers with up-side like Greinke. Montgomery, Duffy, Lamb, even Crow could turn into the next ZG. If we can win the trade, go for it.

Valiant
11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
As long as we get most of their farm system ie 6-8 players.. Which I am not sure they have the quality to make happen.. What about Bostons farm system.. Or a NL team since he likes to bat..

I am actually fine with this, because he wants to win, and the Royals are only worried about their 100+mil a year they make between the big team handouts and their revenue..

Reaper16
11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I bet they'll trade him for a bunch of great offensive players and then instead of the Royals losing every game 2-0 they'll lose every game 9-7.
*directs SportsRacer to KC's pitching prospects*
*waits*

Shogun
11-30-2010, 08:09 PM
Its okay, we have Pat White

Coach
11-30-2010, 08:13 PM
The problem is, I don't see anybody that is viable from NYY's farm system, and they are not exactly stellar either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenson71
11-30-2010, 08:13 PM

But we can't afford him after 2012, can we?

As a slightly more than casual Royals fan, it is disheartening. There's a lot riding on this "young talent in the minors ready to bust out" movement. But this was our Cy Young winner, our ace, our foundation. It's hard to part with a proven great talent for speculation and conjecture.

GloryDayz
11-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Duh! Hell, as a fan, I'm willing to consider a trade too...

alnorth
11-30-2010, 08:43 PM
But we can't afford him after 2012, can we?

Yes, we can. This is not about money, its about timing. Zack wants to win now, and we wont be ready for another 2-3 years. Zack has heard about our incredible farm system and how we could possibly win in 2012-2013 and maybe kick ass in 2014-2015. However, he's already waited around for a very long time back when we sucked for years and he cant pitch forever. He wants to play for a sure winner as soon as possible, not patiently wait around to hopefully start winning sometime after his athletic peak.

alnorth
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Yankee haters, calm down. It wont happen without a 3 or 4-way deal, because the Yankee farm system simply is not good enough. If a trade happens, it is more likely to be with some other team.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2010, 08:48 PM
:shake:

Unless he is going to the Braves, keep him out of the NL East.

I wasn't aware that you were close friends with Braves "royalty".

:D

Again, I hope that if he goes anywhere, it's to the Mets.

Bowser
11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Grienke would fucking own in the national league.

Phobia
11-30-2010, 09:10 PM

I don't even have a clue who Zach Greinke is.

Archie F. Swin
11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
If Zack goes to the Yankees, I think its safe to say we've seen the best season he'll ever have.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't even have a clue who Zach Greinke is.

He used to play guitar for Ozzy, now he's got his own band called Black Label Society.

DaneMcCloud
11-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Grienke would fucking own in the national league.

Yes he would and despite my "association" with the Mets, they've really worked hard to build their farm system, which new their new manager ran.

He also ran the A's system and pretty much invented Moneyball.

Reaper16
11-30-2010, 09:31 PM
He used to play guitar for Ozzy, now he's got his own band called Black Label Society.
*pictures skinny Greinke with giant beard and long hair*

*laughs*

*realizes that he is basically just picturing himself*

BaltimoreChief
11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
yankees have to get everyone's best pitching aka mike mussina. novemeber isn't as important. i personally liked rangers giants. Keep your ace he makes it fun to watch royals baseball.

Chiefs Rool
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM

I'm just going to assume you're joking and move on.

GoHuge
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Yankee haters, calm down. It wont happen without a 3 or 4-way deal, because the Yankee farm system simply is not good enough. If a trade happens, it is more likely to be with some other team.Exactly this. I talk to Bob Dutton three or four times a year when we come across each other at a merchant's office we both do business with. I actually talked to him last week about this and he said essentially the same thing. Said it would take something like Will Myers and Eric Hosmer plus probably one if not two (DeJesus-type quality) current big league players to make it happen. He said he just didn't see it happening this year. Didn't rule it out, but said the price would be so high (in talent) that he just didn't see a team parting with (or having) the top level prospects it would take to pull it off. He said it would be much more likely to happen next offseason with there being only one year left on the deal because the asking price wouldn't be quite as steep as it is now with a guy like Zack under contract for two years at $13 million per. That is insanely cheap for a guy with his talent.

Decide for yourself, but that all seemed to make pretty good sense to me. :shrug:

Thig Lyfe
11-30-2010, 10:53 PM
*directs SportsRacer to KC's pitching prospects*
*waits*

UH YEAH BUT DO ANY OF THEM HAVE CY YOUNG AWARDS?!!?

MIAdragon
12-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I wasn't aware that you were close friends with Braves "royalty".

:D

Again, I hope that if he goes anywhere, it's to the Mets.

He wants to win, why the fuck would he ok a trade to the Mets?

cookster50
12-01-2010, 05:59 AM
yankees have to get everyone's best pitching aka mike mussina. novemeber isn't as important. i personally liked rangers giants. Keep your ace he makes it fun to watch royals baseball.

I love rangers giants also!

eazyb81
12-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Yes casual Royals fans, it would be absolutely terrible to trade Greinke's next two years (when we will have no chance at the postseason) for a trade package of young studs that we will control for 6+ years and will arrive in KC at the same time all of our other top prospects come up. :doh!:

Trading Greinke near his peak value with 2 years remaining on his contract is exactly the correct move. Our window is 2013-2018, when Moose, Hosmer, Myers, Montgomery, Dwyer, Lamb, Colon, etc. all arrive. Adding 3-4 stud prospects to this stable to go for it all during this window is what we need to do.

alnorth
12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Yes casual Royals fans, it would be absolutely terrible to trade Greinke's next two years (when we will have no chance at the postseason) for a trade package of young studs that we will control for 6+ years and will arrive in KC at the same time all of our other top prospects come up. :doh!:

Trading Greinke near his peak value with 2 years remaining on his contract is exactly the correct move. Our window is 2013-2018, when Moose, Hosmer, Myers, Montgomery, Dwyer, Lamb, Colon, etc. all arrive. Adding 3-4 stud prospects to this stable to go for it all during this window is what we need to do.

I'd rather re-sign Greinke to a long contract, but if he doesn't want to wait around for our stud prospects to finally mature (understandable), then yeah we should trade him if we can get a great haul. If no one is blowing us away with offers, try again in July and next winter.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd rather re-sign Greinke to a long contract, but if he doesn't want to wait around for our stud prospects to finally mature (understandable), then yeah we should trade him if we can get a great haul. If no one is blowing us away with offers, try again in July and next winter.That's exactly what they're doing, IMO. They would LOVE to sign him long-term, but Zach and his agent control that possibility.

DJ's left nut
12-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Don't trade with the Yankees.

As a result of the east-coast media hype, they invariably have overhyped prospects that won't amount to a whole hell of a lot at this level.

If the deal goes through it will be for a package centered around Jesus Montero, I'm sure. But the problem is that nobody expects Montero to stick behind the plate. If the guy wasn't in NYY, he'd just be another 1b prospect. Granted, 21 HRs at 20 yrs old in AAA is no small accomplishment, but don't you think you fellas have enough 1b/DH types already?

If you make this deal, you have to pry a roster player out of there as well, IMO.

Greinke for Gardner, Chamberlain, Montero and Heathcott might be a fair return, but it really creates some roster constrution issues in that you don't have enough places to play for Butler, Moustakas, Montero and Hosmer (and that's with you giving up on Kila, which I still think is a poor decision).

With Gardner you get a good table-setter entering the prime of his career which would really help with the development of your young hitters. He's also a plus defensive player. Joba gets you a guy with some upside that simply needs a change of scenery and Montero/Heathcott gets a couple of the Yankees higher upside prospects.

Eh, I'd still probably avoid dealing with the Yankees or Red Sox unless I trusted the hell out of my own scouts and they gave their own reports on these prospects. You just can't trust anything that comes out of those two organizations.

gblowfish
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
The Yanks can have Greinke if we can keep his wife Emily. Just let her dance around on the big screen in center field while we lose 110 games next year.

Winning doesn't matter, just be happy to have baseball, you midwestern rubes.

Shiny objects are your friend, Royals Sheeple.....

KevB
12-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't trade with the Yankees.

As a result of the east-coast media hype, they invariably have overhyped prospects that won't amount to a whole hell of a lot at this level.

If the deal goes through it will be for a package centered around Jesus Montero, I'm sure. But the problem is that nobody expects Montero to stick behind the plate. If the guy wasn't in NYY, he'd just be another 1b prospect. Granted, 21 HRs at 20 yrs old in AAA is no small accomplishment, but don't you think you fellas have enough 1b/DH types already?

If you make this deal, you have to pry a roster player out of there as well, IMO.

Greinke for Gardner, Chamberlain, Montero and Heathcott might be a fair return, but it really creates some roster constrution issues in that you don't have enough places to play for Butler, Moustakas, Montero and Hosmer (and that's with you giving up on Kila, which I still think is a poor decision).

With Gardner you get a good table-setter entering the prime of his career which would really help with the development of your young hitters. He's also a plus defensive player. Joba gets you a guy with some upside that simply needs a change of scenery and Montero/Heathcott gets a couple of the Yankees higher upside prospects.

Eh, I'd still probably avoid dealing with the Yankees or Red Sox unless I trusted the hell out of my own scouts and they gave their own reports on these prospects. You just can't trust anything that comes out of those two organizations.

All great points, and I agree. I wouldn't completely negate dealing with the Yankees, but you always have to be concerned about the over-hyping of their prospects. I think Montero is legit, but as you said, where would you put him.

gblowfish
12-01-2010, 10:35 AM
If you trade Greinke, send him to the NL. He likes to hit.

Consistent1
12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
The guy is probably better off mentally, despite any concerns of anxiety due to media and market size, somewhere on a winning team. He has the "stuff" for sure to win games with run support. It sucks for the Royals, they need to get a nice haul for sure.

Spott
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM

He said he gave on baseball, not football.

Chief_For_Life58
12-01-2010, 11:20 AM
i love the royals. we are not going anywhere. after mid season once we traded away posed, ankiel and the other good ones it is clear this organization does not want to win. trade greinke for montero and the two pitchers it was said they are including. those 3 prospects look like they are gonna be good to great players in the mlb possibly. lets do this trade

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
He wants to win, why the fuck would he ok a trade to the Mets?

I understand your point and many people believe that the Mets won't win as long as Jeff Wilpon is calling the shots.

But with Sandy Alderson, J.P. Ricciardi and Paul Depodesta in the front office and Terry Collins as the manager for the next two years, I'm betting they'll be far more disciplined and competitive in the future than they have been in the past 10 years.

The front office was a zoo. They need to dump salary and bring in players and certainly have the money and fan base to make it happen. It's just a matter of time.

kcfanXIII
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM
This. Colon's haul would really set us up long-term.

Edit: BTW, this has NOTHING to do with Greinke's salary. It has everything to do with 1) not knowing if they could re-sign him after his current deal expires and 2) getting a ton of talent in return that would support the insane class that is likely coming in 2012.

you know how many times we've heard this story? i get that zack wants out. i can even go as far as to say i understand it to the point it really doesn't bother me. but seriously, how many times can you tell your fan base "wait till next year, then we'll have all this talent" and it not come true before the fan base says "fuck off!"?

the nerve of those guys in the royals front office is astounding. this club hasn't been to the playoffs in 25 years and they got the balls to tell us to be patient? no, its time we all start praying for a firey plane crash out of northwest arkansas with that piece of shit glass being the only death. well maybe his son too.

DeezNutz
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
you know how many times we've heard this story? i get that zack wants out. i can even go as far as to say i understand it to the point it really doesn't bother me. but seriously, how many times can you tell your fan base "wait till next year, then we'll have all this talent" and it not come true before the fan base says "**** off!"?

the nerve of those guys in the royals front office is astounding. this club hasn't been to the playoffs in 25 years and they got the balls to tell us to be patient? no, its time we all start praying for a firey plane crash out of northwest arkansas with that piece of shit glass being the only death. well maybe his son too.

LMAO.

I hear you. I do, and I completely understand the frustration. However, with the money we've been investing in the draft, things should legitimately be different soon. If we fail to re-sign several of our key pieces, should they develop as planned, I'll be right there demanding that Glass sell the team.

Spott
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
you know how many times we've heard this story? i get that zack wants out. i can even go as far as to say i understand it to the point it really doesn't bother me. but seriously, how many times can you tell your fan base "wait till next year, then we'll have all this talent" and it not come true before the fan base says "fuck off!"?

They aren't ever going to have the talent to compete. The Royals are nothing but a farm team for all of the bigger market teams and that is not going to change for a long time.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2010, 12:01 PM
They aren't ever going to have the talent to compete. The Royals are nothing but a farm team for all of the bigger market teams and that is not going to change for a long time.You must not pay much attention to minor league baseball. The Royals are losing talented players NOW because they can't squeeze them all onto the 40 man roster; other teams are raiding the Royals leftovers. That will likely continue in the Rule 5 draft. I can't recall a time when the Royals minor leagues were this top-heavy AND deep with talent. Dayton has literally taken us from the worst system to the best in less than 5 years.

alnorth
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
you know how many times we've heard this story? i get that zack wants out. i can even go as far as to say i understand it to the point it really doesn't bother me. but seriously, how many times can you tell your fan base "wait till next year, then we'll have all this talent" and it not come true before the fan base says "**** off!"?

Before now it was hot air, and no one outside of the Royals sales department and very delusional fans believed our minor leagues were worth a damn. We were too cheap to draft and sign the best prospects, and when we did have a Damon or Beltran, they were basically the only prospect we had. You cant win by finding only a couple good players every decade.

This time it really is different, because its not just Royals PR, they have the obvious consensus #1 farm system, and the only question is do we currently have the best group of prospects of the decade? In 3 or 4 years if things work out, we could almost put together a complete team using nothing but our minor leagues.

alnorth
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
You must not pay much attention to minor league baseball. The Royals are losing talented players NOW because they can't squeeze them all onto the 40 man roster; other teams are raiding the Royals leftovers. That will likely continue in the Rule 5 draft. I can't recall a time when the Royals minor leagues were this top-heavy AND deep with talent. Dayton has literally taken us from the worst system to the best in less than 5 years.

That is a pretty good point. This month we are probably going to lose players to the rule V draft that we would have coveted in previous years simply because they now aren't good enough in our system to protect.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
If this doesn't excite you, I'm not sure what will.

Kansas City Royals Top 20 Prospects

1) Mike Moustakas, 3B, Grade A: This guy is really damn good. I believe he can stick at third base, so he ranks ahead of Hosmer just barely.

2) Eric Hosmer, 1B, Grade A: This guy is really damn good.

3) Wil Myers, C, Grade A: If I trusted his defense a bit more, he would rank number one. As it is, even if he ends up in right field I have no hesitation giving him a Grade A rating. The bat should be outstanding.

4) Danny Duffy, LHP, Grade A-: Going to go with the higher grade here over a B+; fortune favors the bold.

5) John Lamb, LHP, Grade B+: Slippage in Double-A keeps him from A- at this time, but an outstanding prospect.

6) Michael Montgomery, LHP, Grade B+: Worried a bit about future of his elbow.

7) Chris Dwyer, LHP, Grade B: Almost went with a B+, but something holds me back a bit on him. Great stuff, but I'm not totally sold on his command yet.

8) Brett Eibner, OF, Grade B: I love the power bat; will have to see if contact is an issue and if he can stick in center.

9) Christian Colon, SS, Grade B: I doubt he'll be a star, but I expect he can have a long career as a regular.

10) Johnny Giavotella, 2B, Grade B-: Love the bat, defense still needs some work but has improved a bit.

11) Louis Coleman, RHP, Grade B-: I know he's a reliever, but he will be ready to help soon and I think there is a chance he could end up closing some games eventually. I think he is underrated and thus his grade is aggressive for a reliever.

12) Aaron Crow, RHP, Grade C+: Ranking him behind Coleman may look weird, but I am more confident that Coleman will be a good major league pitcher than I am in Crow right now, although Crow has a higher ceiling.

13) Tim Melville, RHP, Grade C+ Not a good year, but not as bad as it looked. Talent is still there.

14) Tim Collins, LHP, Grade C+: Can help in bullpen in 2011. Numbers are no fluke. Would rank ahead of Melville and even Crow if you are looking for immediate impact.

15) Patrick Keating, RHP, Grade C+: Overlooked arm with above average stuff. Royals have makings of a great pen with Coleman, Collins, and Keating all close to the majors.

16) Salvador Perez, C, Grade C+: I think he's a breakthrough candidate.

17) Cheslor Cuthbert, 3B, Grade C+: Hard to rank. Scouts like him, he's young, but the early numbers are weak. Would rank higher if you go by nothing but tools, wouldn't be on the top 20 at all if you go by numbers, so this is a compromise.

18) Clint Robinson, 1B, Grade C+: I've seen enough of him to believe he can mash for power, but finding a place to play is tough.

19) Jeff Bianchi, INF, Grade C+: Hard to rank due to health record. He could end up being very good as soon as 2011 under the right circumstances.

20) David Lough, OF, Grade C+: Could be a nice fourth outfielder.

21) Kevin Chapman, LHP, Grade C+: Another guy who can be a solid major league reliever pretty quickly.

22) Buddy Baumann, LHP, Grade C+: Overshadowed by the younger lefties, but should not be ignored.

23) Will Smith, LHP, Grade C+: I think he has a better chance to thrive here than he did with the Angels.

24) Robinson Yambati, RHP, Grade C+: Rookie ball guy could break through in '11.

25) Yordano Ventura, RHP, Grade C+: Rookie ball guy could break through in 11

Spott
12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
You must not pay much attention to minor league baseball. The Royals are losing talented players NOW because they can't squeeze them all onto the 40 man roster; other teams are raiding the Royals leftovers. That will likely continue in the Rule 5 draft. I can't recall a time when the Royals minor leagues were this top-heavy AND deep with talent. Dayton has literally taken us from the worst system to the best in less than 5 years.

As soon as the ones that are good MLB players hit the majors, they'll end up in NY, Boston, etc. as soon they become free agents.

Jenson71
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM

I understand what you're saying. But I think I echo a lot of fans' thoughts when I say that I was hoping we would still have our Cy Young winning ace as a stable veteran will the young (unproven) studs are mature for the big leagues.

But if Grienke wants out, if he's impatient, then we have no choice. But these latest murmurings from Grienke were slightly surprising to me.

It's just hard to be a fan in this environment. We've been putting a lot of hope chips for the future for a number of years now. Hope for the Future has been the virtual Royals fan's mantra for numerous years now. Hope is a great thing, but it can only go so far if there is a realistic backing for it.

Would I be crazy in asking the question that even if the Royals unproven young studs all become All-Stars in 2015, that we would have the financial ability to keep them? What exactly prevents them from being traded or signed to a big market? Like how the core of the Rays team is taking off.

alnorth
12-01-2010, 12:10 PM
As soon as the ones that are good MLB players hit the majors, they'll end up in NY, Boston, etc. as soon they become free agents.

Not if the Royals are a winning team. We aren't THAT broke, the Royals can afford a few big contracts. If this were 2014 and the Royals were a playoff team, Greinke would sign an extension. As it is, no one wants to play here without being massively overpaid (Gil Meche) because we aren't winning.

DeezNutz
12-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Not if the Royals are a winning team. We aren't THAT broke, the Royals can afford a few big contracts. If this were 2014 and the Royals were a playoff team, Greinke would sign an extension. As it is, no one wants to play here without being massively overpaid (Gil Meche) because we aren't winning.

Not broke at all, in fact.

I think most of us agree that MN is our ideal model, right? Their payroll should be a sign of the times for us, too. I'm ok with not being there yet, but this is where we need to be if our talent develops. Not keeping the foundational pieces will be absurd.

But we'll cross that bridge in a bit...

kcfanXIII
12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
i just don't get how the management of a team that has never been right about anything ever, can be trusted when they say "be patient, just a couple more years." i say fuck that, and i'm calling for the ownership, and management's heads. not in a metaphorical you're fired way. i want to see david glass's head in one of those jars, like in futurama. only difference would be, i'd want it to be locked in a closet with a bunch of retarded heads, and every once in a while we could poke our head in and say "just wait till next year, we'll get some intelligent heads in here for you to converse with. we just need you to be patient." but we never will.

DeezNutz
12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
The difference is that Glass was, literally, not trying to win until '05/'06. We've invested the necessary money since then to be competitive.

Moore has done a nice job bolstering the farm system. No question.

If you want to be upset about anything, but pissed about the fact that DM has squandered a shit ton of resources at the ML level and shown little ability to construct a viable roster.

We've got all our chips in the draft, and we're hoping that Moore's one apparent strength is enough to offset his shortcomings.

Trey Hillman approves this message.

alnorth
12-01-2010, 12:26 PM
i just don't get how the management of a team that has never been right about anything ever, can be trusted when they say "be patient, just a couple more years." i say **** that, and i'm calling for the ownership, and management's heads. not in a metaphorical you're fired way. i want to see david glass's head in one of those jars, like in futurama. only difference would be, i'd want it to be locked in a closet with a bunch of retarded heads, and every once in a while we could poke our head in and say "just wait till next year, we'll get some intelligent heads in here for you to converse with. we just need you to be patient." but we never will.

Dayton Moore has only been here a few years, and the only thing he has arguably failed at is winning in free agent signings. Even then, he's won a few. When it comes to the minor leagues, the man has performed a miracle. You want to complain about what the owner did in the 90's and 2000's? Fine, but he is no longer a major financial obstacle and he's not going anywhere anyway. You want to cross your arms, sit out, and say "show me first", fair enough. They will indeed show you pretty soon. The fans will show up in droves when the Royals begin to win, with or without Greinke.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Good point. I'd much rather the Royals pump $36 million into the minors than dump it on Jose Guillen.

DeezNutz
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Good point. I'd much rather the Royals pump $36 million into the minors than dump it on Jose Guillen.

It could be that we made the right decision, overall, but it drives me fucking crazy to hear that we "can't afford" prospects like Porcello and Wieters (which DM said at the time) and then piss away millions on guys like Jason Kendall.

For a team like the Royals, we shouldn't even have a draft "budget," per say. Spend what's necessary to take the top talent in every round. Period. And if first rounders continue to drop (like the Myers and Melvilles of the world), make the pick and run like you stole something.

Pitt Gorilla
12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
It could be that we made the right decision, overall, but it drives me ****ing crazy to hear that we "can't afford" prospects like Porcello and Wieters (which DM said at the time) and then piss away millions on guys like Jason Kendall.

For a team like the Royals, we shouldn't even have a draft "budget," per say. Spend what's necessary to take the top talent in every round. Period. And if first rounders continue to drop (like the Myers and Melvilles of the world), make the pick and run like you stole something.That's exactly what they are doing. They've been selecting over-slot guys whenever they can and it has been working nicely. I'm not sure I'd rather have Weiters, although I am sure the Royals sweeping the Tigers in the last three meaningless games of the season kept us from Price, which was really upsetting.

eazyb81
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
It could be that we made the right decision, overall, but it drives me ****ing crazy to hear that we "can't afford" prospects like Porcello and Wieters (which DM said at the time) and then piss away millions on guys like Jason Kendall.

Right now, I bet most people would take Moustakas over Porcello and Hosmer over Wieters, so maybe DM knew what he was doing at the time.

Demonpenz
12-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Grienke says crazy shit. I bet he is open to try hitting left handed with a hurling stick.

DeezNutz
12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
That's exactly what they are doing. They've been selecting over-slot guys whenever they can and it has been working nicely. I'm not sure I'd rather have Weiters, although I am sure the Royals sweeping the Tigers in the last three meaningless games of the season kept us from Price, which was really upsetting.

Within the parameters of a budget, yes, which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Could be the DM was right all along with the likes of Moosetacos and Hosmer, though.

kcfanXIII
12-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Dayton Moore has only been here a few years, and the only thing he has arguably failed at is winning in free agent signings. Even then, he's won a few. When it comes to the minor leagues, the man has performed a miracle. You want to complain about what the owner did in the 90's and 2000's? Fine, but he is no longer a major financial obstacle and he's not going anywhere anyway. You want to cross your arms, sit out, and say "show me first", fair enough. They will indeed show you pretty soon. The fans will show up in droves when the Royals begin to win, with or without Greinke.

and then in a few years when that talent is ready to win, those young stars will disappear like a fucking magic trick.

MIAdragon
12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I understand your point and many people believe that the Mets won't win as long as Jeff Wilpon is calling the shots.

But with Sandy Alderson, J.P. Ricciardi and Paul Depodesta in the front office and Terry Collins as the manager for the next two years, I'm betting they'll be far more disciplined and competitive in the future than they have been in the past 10 years.

The front office was a zoo. They need to dump salary and bring in players and certainly have the money and fan base to make it happen. It's just a matter of time.

They have the talent to compete, now that they are cleaning house I can see them in the mix in the NL East.

alnorth
12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
and then in a few years when that talent is ready to win, those young stars will disappear like a ****ing magic trick.

That is ignorant. The moment they hit the majors, we have them for 6 years bare minimum, and many will sign extensions if they are any good. We have plenty of money for a few major contracts, and as long as we keep drafting even half as well as we have been, we'll be fine with a few losses.

Your acting like we are poor as sh*t and cant hang on to anyone, when the reality is that our payroll has been fairly decent recently, we've just been pissing that money away on useless players. You do not need a $150MM payroll to win in this game, roughly 60-80 works just fine, if you draft well and make good decisions.

Chief_For_Life58
12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
i hope these prospects start balling for us..the royals need to get back to contention in the AL! Lets GO!

HonestChieffan
12-01-2010, 04:14 PM

this

Sure-Oz
12-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Wonder who the main players will be, all i know is we SHOULD get a haul if DM doesnt fuck it up

Extra Point
12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
All it took for this franchise to succeed, was to re-sign Ibanez. That was all it took.

Presently, we're again the farm team for the Yankees. For which team did Maris play, before getting called up?

'Nuf said.

Coogs
12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Wonder who the main players will be, all i know is we SHOULD get a haul if DM doesnt fuck it up

The OP has some insight to this question.

dallaschiefsfan
12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
The Yankees want Lee. Leaking stuff like this to the press and having the Royals play along is simply posturing in their Lee negotiations. The legitimacy of the Yankee's brass' confidence in Greinke's ability to handle New York confines is suspect.

I could care less about where he goes if we get a good rake. Our 2012 class is going to be sick...like class of a lifetime sick. Can't wait.

Marcellus
12-01-2010, 08:01 PM
No shit. Water is wet.

Bambi
12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
The New York Yankees have zero interest in Zach Greinke. Like dallaschiefsfan said, this is probably a story cooked up by the Royals themselves to get teams interested in Greinke.

I hope they move him. It's one of these odd times when a player is worth a lot more ina trade then he is on the field.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2010, 09:26 PM
The New York Yankees have zero interest in Zach Greinke. Like dallaschiefsfan said, this is probably a story cooked up by the Royals themselves to get teams interested in Greinke.

I hope they move him. It's one of these odd times when a player is worth a lot more ina trade then he is on the field.

You're fucking crazy. I know for a FACT that Cashman covets Greinke.

I don't know where you get your info but it's dead wrong.

BigRock
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
NY Post:

Despite a report yesterday in which a source said Zack Greinke was not against pitching for the Yankees if the Royals dealt him to The Bronx, the Yankees don't buy it. They believe the right-hander, the 2009 Cy Young winner who has dealt with social anxiety disorder, does not want to pitch under the burning lights of the Yankees' universe.

Boston Globe:

My Zack Greinke source indicates there's no way he'd play in New York

I point out again that this entire thread is based on some random unnamed guy saying nothing except what he thinks Zack would do.

Bambi
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
NY Post:

Boston Globe:

I point out again that this entire thread is based on some random unnamed guy saying nothing except what he thinks Zack would do.

lol,

yea if you listen to anyone like Jon Heyman you would know that Greinke to the Yankees would never happen.

But I see how people like to dream.

It would be great to get our hands on Jesus Montero.

KevB
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
You're ****ing crazy. I know for a FACT that Cashman covets Greinke.

I don't know where you get your info but it's dead wrong.

Every GM in the league covets Greinke....can't believe someone would suggest otherwise. Glad you called that one out. Besides, it's not a question of whether someone wants him, it's whether they're willing to pay the heavy price.

DaneMcCloud
12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Every GM in the league covets Greinke....can't believe someone would suggest otherwise. Glad you called that one out. Besides, it's not a question of whether someone wants him, it's whether they're willing to pay the heavy price.

Dude, I had a conversation with a NY higher up in August that said they'd give up a shit ton to get Greinke.

I know baseball people that think his ceiling is higher than Roy Halladay's.

Reaper16
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I know baseball people that think his ceiling is higher than Roy Halladay's.
That's cause it is.

Consistent1
12-02-2010, 05:59 AM
That's cause it is.

I would tend to agree with that, but his potential to inexplicably go bust at some point is certainly there too. I'm not a Royals fan, usually follow players more than teams in baseball. What I have seen of him has been very impressive. One problem to me is it is nice to see guys with marginal W/L totals get rewarded for pitching well for poor teams, but the environment of still losing is not a good one to me. Really, if the guy has all the talent he has, he should be wanting the fuck out of KC yesterday. He probably does. As much as I hate the Yankees, players that want to win titles should want to be on the first plane there. There won't be any year they are out of the chase at a minimum. If all the media stuff and "pressure" is such a problem, how is a player ever going to do well in the postseason? I'm sold on his talent, but I'm not sure we will ever see several 20 win type seasons out of him wherever he ends up. I hope to be wrong, I like him as a player.

cookster50
12-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Dude had a problem a few years ago, got help, got it taken care of. For those that keep bringing it up, get over it. It's a non-issue now. This isn't 2007, this is 2010.

Consistent1
12-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Dude had a problem a few years ago, got help, got it taken care of. For those that keep bringing it up, get over it. It's a non-issue now. This isn't 2007, this is 2010.

Sure, fair enough. The only thing is those type of issues can be problematic in terms of relapsing into it. What I'm saying is if he doesn't want to go to the Yanks, Boston, etc...he must still have concerns. We don't know this anyway, it shall be seen. If a record hovering just over .500 with some quality ND's on a shaky team is good enough to him, then he isn't much of a player. There isn't any reason to personalize it, I would like to see him win and contribute in the postseason somewhere. Like I said, I am a fan of his, not the Royals.