PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Best Fish Oil Supplement?

The Bad Guy
11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
I was taking this fish oil supplement for a while, but I was doing more research and the reviews weren't great.

What fish oil pills are you using? I'm looking for a quality, cost effective supplement.

Shogun
11-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Omega 3

petegz28
11-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Eat fish???

pr_capone
11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Nothing beats fresh squeezed fish.

loochy
11-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Try fish from the Gulf of Mexico, especially fish caught off the coasts of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Those fish are very rich in oil.

http://coastalcare.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/fish-oil.jpg

chiefzilla1501
11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Try fish from the Gulf of Mexico, especially fish caught off the coasts of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Those fish are very rich in oil.

http://coastalcare.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/fish-oil.jpg

Yikes. Well played, sir.

Shogun
11-30-2010, 09:41 PM
That fish is actually covered in Nutella.

loochy
11-30-2010, 09:44 PM
That fish is actually covered in Nutella.

Your mom is covered in Nutella.

Shogun
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
How dare you

loochy
11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
How dare you

http://votingfemale.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/omg.jpg

BIG_DADDY
11-30-2010, 09:52 PM
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Arctic-Pure-Krill-Oil-500-mg-60-Softgels/11576?at=0

You want your best source of krill. This is what I use.

ClevelandBronco
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not going to bother. My fish don't really squeak much.

Superturtle
11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
NOTHING beats freshly clubbed baby seals.

T-post Tom
11-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Why shell out your hard earned dollars on supplements?

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/nd5AN8J1yB8C9v1zL71dhQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/nd5AN8J1yB8C9v1zL71dhQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

chiefzilla1501
11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
In seriousness, I wish I could answer this question. Truth is, I feel like this is one of those supplements that will make you healthier, but you won't feel the effects. So I'm guessing your best bet is to just check reviews on the internet.

kchero
11-30-2010, 10:34 PM
The source of the fish oil honestly doesn't really matter. As long as it is Omega 3 DHA/EPA and you take at least 900mg of the DHA/EPA component per day then you will be best served.
Just pay attention to the strength section on the back of the fish oil bottle for the DHA/EPA component so that you make sure you are doing at least 900 mg per day. Also, you may want to do the enteric coating version if you have a fishy aftertaste / burps develop.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Just eat a motherfucking salmon.

Silock
11-30-2010, 11:37 PM
In seriousness, I wish I could answer this question. Truth is, I feel like this is one of those supplements that will make you healthier, but you won't feel the effects. So I'm guessing your best bet is to just check reviews on the internet.

Well, that depends. Fish oil is a very strong anti-inflammatory (comparable to ibuprofen for many things), so in that sense, you can feel it.

This is the brand I use:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/o3.html

4 in the morning, 4 at night. No fish burps, either, so win-win.

CrazyPhuD
12-01-2010, 01:52 AM
BTW if you want to avoid the burps put them in the freezer. No fishy aftertaste or burps I've seen.

Cheater5
12-01-2010, 02:44 AM
I was taking this fish oil supplement for a while, but I was doing more research and the reviews weren't great.

What fish oil pills are you using? I'm looking for a quality, cost effective supplement.

Biotest FLAMEOUT

Highest potency fish oil out there. Nothing comes close- great for post workout soreness, and lowers the bad cholesterol. Aaaand... you do not need to take 4-6 pills with this stuff. One of these probably more than 2-4 of other brands.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/flameout

Frosty
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Just eat a mother****ing salmon.

This.

A little food for thought. (http://thehealthyskeptic.org/when-it-comes-to-fish-oil-more-is-not-better)

I do take krill oil on occasion because I don't eat enough fish but I mostly just try to avoid the omega-6 (vegetable) oils rather than overcompensate with omega-3 oils.

JD10367
12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't trust all the shit that says take a bazillion milligrams of this shit a day. These are the same knuckleheads who tell you to OD on Vitamin C and Vitamin D and how it can't harm you (and a study was just released yesterday warning against too much Vitamin D). I take one fish oil pill in the morning. It may not give me six-pack abs and make my cock grow to 17" but it probably won't kill me. When it comes to drugs, I don't trust anyone. (Except my dealer, 'cause his shit's off the hook.)

Otter
12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
This is what I use:

http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-The-Very-Finest-Liquid-Fish-Oil

There's hardly a fishy taste at all and it's stacked in everything you want in a fish oil. You would need to eat about 1 and a half full grown raw salmon to get the same level of supplements. That's probably about $200 in sushi. When you bake or broil it loses some of those supplements.

I really don't notice a difference in how I feel but two teaspoons a week isn't going to do anything but help me for nothing else than the vitamin E. The only vitamin that I can feel the difference when taking and not taking is vitamin C.

vailpass
12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Arctic-Pure-Krill-Oil-500-mg-60-Softgels/11576?at=0

How many do you take a day BD? I see 2 a day are recommended for 30 days then 1 a day. Is that what you do?

Pants
12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Have your doctor prescribe you Lovaza. Could pretty 'spenisve, though.

The Bad Guy
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM

My pops is on it. It's hella expensive.

I just purchased the one Silock recommended. Pretty cost effective and had everything I was looking for out of a fish oil supplement.

Fish
12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Everybody just hold out your hands.... I got your oil right here....

vailpass
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM

I just purchased the one Silock recommended. Pretty cost effective and had everything I was looking for out of a fish oil supplement.

You gonna' take 8 of those a day like Si does?

4th and Long
12-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Q: What do two fish in love sing to each other?

A: Salmon-enchanted evening

vailpass
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Q: What do two fish in love sing to each other?

A: Salmon-enchanted evening

Did you tell that joke just for the halibut?

4th and Long
12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Did you tell that joke just for the halibut?
What a crappie thing to say to me!

Norman Einstein
12-01-2010, 11:30 AM

I've been using Krill Oil as well and it has been more effective than Fish Oil tabs.

The difference is that the regular fish oil tabs are created from penned fish and krill oil is from a more natural setting.

My Cholesterol went from over 200 to under 125 and the triglicerides went down to 137 from 291. Fish oil did not have the same impact.

Pants
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I just feel like it's the only FDA regulated fish oil so the chance of it having mercury is much lower.

mikeyis4dcats.
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I just feel like it's the only FDA regulated fish oil so the chance of it having mercury is much lower.

the FDA establishes guidelines for the purity and manufacturing of fish oil capsules, they just haven't been approved as a medication as Lovaza has.

Which means nothing when you consider how many approved medicines have been banned by the FDA after approval and use when long term studies showed unsafe risks or results.

DA_T_84
12-02-2010, 11:47 PM
^^Fuck that guy.

Silock
12-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Biotest FLAMEOUT

Highest potency fish oil out there. Nothing comes close- great for post workout soreness, and lowers the bad cholesterol. Aaaand... you do not need to take 4-6 pills with this stuff. One of these probably more than 2-4 of other brands.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/flameout

It doesn't matter how many you take, really. Biotest Flameout is $30 for 22 servings. OTOH, you can buy less "potent" fish oil, and take more of it, and get 120 servings (or more).

Shogun
12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Coastal fisheries feel proud to introduce as one of the leading Manufacturer and Exporter of Fish products like Fish Meal, Sardine Fish Oil and Squalene Oil in India

ROFL

Perfect thread timing

Bugeater
12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
ROFL

Perfect thread timing
Rule #1: Don't quote spam posts.

Shogun
12-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Whats rule #2

Bugeater
12-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Whats rule #2
Rule #2: NEVER ask about Rule #2

FAX
12-03-2010, 12:28 AM
I have a feeling there are probably about 1000 uses for Squalene Oil in India ... although I have no idea what any of them are ... I'll bet at least half are either illegal or highly immoral.

As for Fish Meal, is that like Corn Meal except it's made out of fish? If so, no thanks. I have no interest whatsoever in Fish Muffins.

FAX

Chiefspants
12-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Rule #2: NEVER ask about Rule #2

Do I even want to ask about rule thr...

Alton deFlat
12-03-2010, 07:31 AM

That's what my wife takes. It is expensive.

Maruichi
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I personally like Maxalife Fish OIl capsules. I've been on it for two years now and their fish oil comes from the pure waters of New Zealand.

RedThat
08-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Alright here is my advice.

Don't be so concerned about the cost. Don't be concerned about the brand either.

What you need to be concerned about is whether the fish oil supplement you purchased is working or not. You do this by experimenting.

Now Im not sure whether you guys know about the fish oil experiment in a styrofoam cup? Anyway, what you do is use a styrofoam cup and fill it up with lukewarm water. Then take your fish oil capsule, break it, and pour it into the stryofoam cup with lukewarm water. If, within 5-10 minutes you don't see the fish oil breaking down the styrofoam then the fish oil product you've purchased is not working.

It is not being properly absorbed by your body and is not breaking down the cholesterol in your body either.

The reason they say use styrofoam is because styrofoam has a similar composition to the cholesterol in our bodies. This is the perfect experiment since fish oils are meant to break down the lipids in your blood.

Now Im no expert or scientist but I do surroud myself with people who are involved in the health field and they agree with this experiment. I must say, the first time I saw it, I was astounded.

Saulbadguy
08-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Don't be so concerned about the cost. Don't be concerned about the brand either.

What you need to be concerned about is whether the fish oil supplement you purchased is working or not. You do this by experimenting.

Now Im not sure whether you guys know about the fish oil experiment in a styrofoam cup? Anyway, what you do is use a styrofoam cup and fill it up with lukewarm water. Then take your fish oil capsule, break it, and pour it into the stryofoam cup with lukewarm water. If, within 5-10 minutes you don't see the fish oil breaking down the styrofoam then the fish oil product you've purchased is not working.

It is not being properly absorbed by your body and is not breaking down the cholesterol in your body either.

The reason they say use styrofoam is because styrofoam has a similar composition to the cholesterol in our bodies. This is the perfect experiment since fish oils are meant to break down the lipids in your blood.

Now Im no expert or scientist but I do surroud myself with people who are involved in the health field and they agree with this experiment. I must say, the first time I saw it, I was astounded.

This seems stupid.

Brock
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
This seems stupid.

"Seems"?

58-4ever
08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I like all of Tony Gonzalez's supplements that I have tried. Allproscience.com

ChiefaRoo
08-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Lovasa

Pants
08-04-2011, 08:54 PM

I thought it was just supposed to make your vessels more flexible and by doing so prevent plaque build up.

/shrug

mikeyis4dcats.
08-04-2011, 09:11 PM

:doh!:

petegz28
08-04-2011, 09:17 PM

I think that's backwards....

Find out if your fish oil is the *evil* ethyl ester with a simple Styrofoam cup!

Here’s the secret to find out because the label won’t always tell you!

Place a bit of your fish oil in a Styrofoam cup. Place the cup on a plate to avoid any mess. Take a look at the cup after a few minutes. If the fish oil has leaked significantly through the cup it contains ethyl ester–ethyl ester fish oil eats through the cup! You’ll see it after just a few minutes, but give it 10 or so to truly determine. Natural triglyceride fish oils placed in a Styrofoam cup will not do the same.

Interesting, right?

Other key factors with buying a high quality fish oil (the Styrofoam cup test is just the first step in making sure you have a decent omega 3 product). Here are 3 others:
1.High concentration of EPA and DHA which you can see on the label (aim for at least 500 mg per serving)
2.Molecularly distilled to remove any and all impurities
3.Fresh, clean tasting to ensure the fish oil isn’t rancid.

Chiefshrink
08-04-2011, 09:45 PM

Your heart responds best to Salmon oil. For whatever reason salmon oil has a unique blend of the 3-6-9 omegas that your heart thrives on more than any other fish oil. Always buy the actual oil and stay away from the capsules. Capsules go rancid fairly quickly and actually turn into a "transfat" which as you know is cancer causing. Always buy 'fresh coldwater' salmon oil and stay away from the "farm raised" salmon oil. Studies have shown a 50% decrease in effectiveness using "farm raised".

Also I take a tablespoon of Cod Liver Oil a day. Very high in Vitamin D. This is important because the main fundamental supporting vitamin of your total immune system is Vitamin D. Cod Liver Oil has the most Vitamin D available to offer than any other food. It sounds far worse than it tastes. They have many flavors but I find the "lemon flavor" very tasty:thumb:

xztop12
08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
because humans cannot be healthy without consuming the oils from fish

RedThat
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
I think that's backwards....

Find out if your fish oil is the *evil* ethyl ester with a simple Styrofoam cup!

Here’s the secret to find out because the label won’t always tell you!

Place a bit of your fish oil in a Styrofoam cup. Place the cup on a plate to avoid any mess. Take a look at the cup after a few minutes. If the fish oil has leaked significantly through the cup it contains ethyl ester–ethyl ester fish oil eats through the cup! You’ll see it after just a few minutes, but give it 10 or so to truly determine. Natural triglyceride fish oils placed in a Styrofoam cup will not do the same.

Interesting, right?

Other key factors with buying a high quality fish oil (the Styrofoam cup test is just the first step in making sure you have a decent omega 3 product). Here are 3 others:
1.High concentration of EPA and DHA which you can see on the label (aim for at least 500 mg per serving)
2.Molecularly distilled to remove any and all impurities
3.Fresh, clean tasting to ensure the fish oil isn’t rancid.

You're right. I stand corrected.

http://www.ascentahealth.com/health-science/science-articles/fish-oil-triglycerides-vs-ethyl-esters-as-nature-intended

I was ****ing misled before. And I wasn't trying to intentionally mislead anyone here. Thanks for the heads up. This is good to know.

Sure-Oz
09-10-2011, 11:58 AM
http://purealaskaomega.com/salmon-oil

I've been taking this, got it from costco

Johnny Vegas
09-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I take Nature Made fish oil 1200 mg with 720 mg of OMEGA-3

this fish oil pill you only have to take 1 a day, up to 2 if desired, and they are burpless. Nature Made is a transparent company and has been stamped for approval of proper working conditions, sanitary environment, and quality supplements.

KILLER_CLOWN
09-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I use spring valley flax seed oil, about 6 bucks for an 8oz bottle at walmart.

the Talking Can
09-10-2011, 03:04 PM
You're right. I stand corrected.

http://www.ascentahealth.com/health-science/science-articles/fish-oil-triglycerides-vs-ethyl-esters-as-nature-intended

I was ****ing misled before. And I wasn't trying to intentionally mislead anyone here. Thanks for the heads up. This is good to know.

it's ok...no one here is dumb enough to take advice from you